(Topic ID: 144462)

Unofficial Big Buck Hunter Arcade thread (BBH)

By northvibe

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 57 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

681A4565-BE55-4662-BC80-B6244B8B8F98 (resized).jpeg
A13E97F5-C838-48A0-8631-E5E15D0BFB55 (resized).png
A70BD706-2F57-4332-A39D-85EF7311F146 (resized).jpeg
82254DCA-097F-4A0F-A7E2-4ABE9635125E (resized).jpeg
IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4178 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4180 (resized).jpeg
BBF15C7A-A6AC-48B3-A5FB-0B1CD9CB643A (resized).jpeg
drift bios settings (resized).jpg
00876ABC-74DC-474F-B708-D9D5206B1CAF (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190424_084857 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20190424_084938 (resized).jpg
IMG20190407161244 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190401_220513 (resized).jpg
20190317_165001 (resized).jpg
20190317_164934 (resized).jpg

There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 8 months ago

Thanks. A local operator has a nice currently non-working Big Buck Hunter Safari cab. He told me the computer and guns aren't working but he has had it for over a year and won't bother fixing it. I've thought about making him an offer for the cab and trying to get it working myself but not sure of the cost to do that and don't think I have the skillset either.

So how much is an asrock computer replacement? He told me a new computer is $500 and guns, $300 which seems high. Guessing the monitor also needs a rebuild so probably a bigger project then I can take on.

#153 8 months ago
Quoted from norcal3241:

Looking for BBH World dongle. Had one stolen. Anybody have one to sell? Thanks

I believe I have an open Season to World dongle. If this is what you need I'll try and dig it up.

#154 8 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Was it under warranty? If it wasn't on location, seems kind of bad that something like that could go bad so quickly. Particularly given how much Raw Thrills charges for those things.

yup location game. With pins, at least I know where I stand, but with this thing.... It seems counterintuitive that raw thrills doesn't have in house tech support. It would of helped to understand whats going on underneath the sheets, so to speak. it's hard to troubleshoot when you don't really understand how everything works. (I.E. like what the program is looking for during boot)

finally modified the grub boot menu to tell me what was happening and this confirmed my suspicions on the I/O. That it was trying to connect and failing

#155 8 months ago
Quoted from Don44:

There is these 2 guns on ebay ebay.com link » Incedible Technologies Shotgun Big Buck Hunter 1 2 Safari World Pro Open Season and ebay.com link » 29 Pump Action Shotgun Big Buck Hunter Wild Safari Pro World Open Season Green

Thanks. So it looks like he is right and they are $300. Now wondering about computer replacement cost. Anyone know if swapping out to a new computer is pretty easy and straightforward? Sorry for the questions but I really no very little about how these things work.

#156 8 months ago

utesichiban If you eBay hunt parts or a computer you can get it pretty cheap. Less than 500 for sure.

Keep in mind that just like pinball, it’s not the entire machine that’s broken. It’s probably one or two small things. So maybe the computer power supply is dead. Or maybe the drive is caput.

Similar with the guns.

I’m sure there are ways to test the monitor before you buy .

#157 8 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thanks. A local operator has a nice currently non-working Big Buck Hunter Safari cab. He told me the computer and guns aren't working but he has had it for over a year and won't bother fixing it. I've thought about making him an offer for the cab and trying to get it working myself but not sure of the cost to do that and don't think I have the skillset either.
So how much is an asrock computer replacement? He told me a new computer is $500 and guns, $300 which seems high. Guessing the monitor also needs a rebuild so probably a bigger project then I can take on.

The guns can be rebuilt with parts via betson. So you don’t have to buy new guns.

The PC usually just has cap issues on the motherboard so you can get a new PC or motherboard cheap and move parts over. It honestly can be cheap if you want it to be. I’m kinda looking for another bbh as I miss it in the line up, but man I need more time to be able to fix games :-p

1 week later
#158 7 months ago

Hi guys from Australia! My big buck safari optiplex 740 motherboard has recently packed it in, finding the motherboard or computer over here is a struggle. I can get a optiplex 580 is there anything that has to be to the optiplex 580 to suit the system?

#159 7 months ago
Quoted from Hunter87:

Hi guys from Australia! My big buck safari optiplex 740 motherboard has recently packed it in, finding the motherboard or computer over here is a struggle. I can get a optiplex 580 is there anything that has to be to the optiplex 580 to suit the system?

You need to have a dual core or more amd processor, probably 4+gb of ram to make sure. Otherwise that should be on the recommended PCs.

#160 7 months ago

So the integrated graphics on the optiplex 580 is suitable to use ?

#161 7 months ago
Quoted from Hunter87:

So the integrated graphics on the optiplex 580 is suitable to use ?

It’s supposed to be, integrated is a ati chipset

1 week later
#162 7 months ago

I have been looking for a Big Buvk Safari the past several months. I have a lead on one and it looks in pretty good shape. The guy did say it had something called “disconnected error” pop up a few weeks ago after he moved it to a new location.

He says everything is working okay now but he didn’t know why it happened and has gone away. Anyone know what this type of error might mean on a BBH Safari? I just want to get s better idea before making him an offer. My concern is that while it is fine now, there may be an underlying issue with the game’s computer hard drive or motherboard. Anyone have any ideas? Should I be concerned or is this nothing to worry about?

#163 7 months ago

Forgot to mention that on my game I am able to F1 through the low voltage error. Happens everytime I turn the game on unfortunately so I just have a spare keyboard in plugged inside the cabinet. It's annoying but atleast I can focus on Pinball issues until I find the time to mess around with it later.

#164 7 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I have been looking for a Big Buvk Safari the past several months. I have a lead on one and it looks in pretty good shape. The guy did say it had something called “disconnected error” pop up a few weeks ago after he moved it to a new location.
He says everything is working okay now but he didn’t know why it happened and has gone away. Anyone know what this type of error might mean on a BBH Safari? I just want to get s better idea before making him an offer. My concern is that while it is fine now, there may be an underlying issue with the game’s computer hard drive or motherboard. Anyone have any ideas? Should I be concerned or is this nothing to worry about?

Never seen the error and the manual doesn’t mention anything specific. If the price is right and the condition looks good I wouldn’t worry too much.

Just curious, does anyones machines have a play counter in yours? I’ll snap a photo tonight. I think my cabinet has seen 40k plays!

#165 7 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

"Disconnected" is not a game issue, technically. It is the mentor stating that it is not getting a signal at all. Either the computer is not turning on or there is an issue with the computer.

#166 7 months ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I asked him to check in the service menu under operator settings just to run the tests there in relation to the computer and game sound. He couldn’t figure out how to get there and sent me these screen shots. I can’t read the entire thing but any potential red flags there in relation to the computer?

8A01A90A-E1B6-4E47-9A08-3D0107191FC7 (resized).jpegFDF07059-6C58-41AA-B520-B436F523B9BA (resized).jpeg
#167 7 months ago

I got a few more pics from him. Apparently, every time the computer boots up, it brings up this voltage low screen I’m. posting here. With a keyboard, he can hit F1, get past this screen, and play play the game normally.

He file test from the operator screen and everything appears to be normal. Any thoughts? Is there a computer issue or could it be a bad power supply (or both)? Any input or advice on what the issue may be and potential cost to fix is very appreciated.

0F7D752E-CCDE-4664-8085-49E7600EC7DB (resized).jpeg5784EA66-192E-4BE1-86CD-93B186CC636A (resized).jpeg
#168 7 months ago

I wonder if that is the pc bios battery being low. It’s in the pc bios boot before the game is up....

Looks fine though! The sound settings kingpin may know, I know there are settings but I don’t remember them exactly or how to get there. I thought there were buttons when you opened the coin door...

#169 7 months ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

"Disconnected" is not a game issue, technically. It is the mentor stating that it is not getting a signal at all. Either the computer is not turning on or there is an issue with the computer.

Thank you for the input. I got a little more information tonight and have posted screen shots above.

Apparently he is no longer getting the disconnect error since attaching a keyboard. Now it goes to the screen stating the battery voltage is low. He says if he presses F1, it boots up and plays normally. However, it won't currently boot up without the keyboard and pressing F1.

Do you still think it is a computer issue or something simple like northvibe said about replacing the bios battery or power supply? Thanks guys!

#170 7 months ago

that is exactly what it is. replace the cr-2032 battery on the motherboard (can be found at walgreens, walmart, etc), reset the bios (set it to automatically turn on with the power being applied) and that should do it.

here is the link to the manual for the other settings. it is in section 4-2

https://rawthrills.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/bbs_manual.pdf

#172 7 months ago

Lol literally the same issue I just had a few posts above you. Dang computers!

#173 7 months ago

that is exactly what it is. replace the cr-2032 battery on the motherboard (can be found at walgreens, walmart, etc), reset the bios (set it to automatically turn on with the power being applied) and that should do it.
here is the link to the manual for the other settings. it is in section 4-2
https://rawthrills.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/bbs_manual.pdf

Thanks guys!

#174 7 months ago

To my previous question, just curious how many plays you have on Your cabinet. Mine is an upgraded pro cabinet to world. It definitely shows it’s age. Let’s see how low we can get the numbers !

A04FCD1A-2AA3-4469-9716-1856085715D1 (resized).jpeg
#175 7 months ago

Unlike pinball meters, physical hard meters generally never started at 0 so unless you had a starting number it is going to be hard to determine.

#176 7 months ago

Unlike pinball meters, physical hard meters generally never started at 0 so unless you had a starting number it is going to be hard to determine.

Thanks guys. I am going to assume it is just a minor thing like those batteries snd go ahead and buy it. I appreciate everyone's input and let and will keep you updated on how things go.

#177 7 months ago
20190213_113331 (resized).jpg
#178 7 months ago

Looking to add the 42" BBH HD to my new gameroom. Can someone PM me on best place to get a great price? Used is OK and time is on my side as room is under construction
Thx guys

#179 7 months ago

Hey guys! Quick back story on my BBHP. Got it for $100.00 because the Makvision Chassis was missing and was told bad hard drive. Cloned the "ad" hd to a ssd hd then Had Rick Nieman with Neiman Displays make me a chassis and It popped (1 week in). He sent me another one (no charge) and it also stopped working(3 weeks in).

So instead of me trying for lucky number 3 ive been doing some research. The guns can accept VGA and or CGA signal. Is there any reason i cant buy a VGA to CGA converter and pick up a "universal" CGA chassis (neck ohms out) and use a cheaper work around for my current issue? Ive also been looking at the 8 dip switches and have read about a mythical CGA dip switch setting so i can bypass the converter all together.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Ive been lurking for a year or so. I did a light rest on (mechanical,rubber and plastics) on my Stern Meteor which my dad bought new in 79. Now i have a few cabs and they breed like rabbits

20181208_204618 (resized).jpg20190109_101133 (resized).jpg
#180 7 months ago

After a ton more research and reaching out to rawthrills and betson i got it sorted.

On the 8 row dip switch. Change switch 1,2,3 to on, that sets the game to output CGA. The guns can accept CGA input. Ordered a universal WeiYA chassis off ebay. It'll be here next week. Also ordered a VGA to CGA pinout adapter to make most of this plug and play.

115.00 to my door and should be up and running again.

Figured id post my findings for the next guy whos monitor craps the bed and doesn't want to spend an arm and leg to replace it.

#181 7 months ago
Quoted from Jaxxered:

After a ton more research and reaching out to rawthrills and betson i got it sorted.
On the 8 row dip switch. Change switch 1,2,3 to on, that sets the game to output CGA. The guns can accept CGA input. Ordered a universal WeiYA chassis off ebay. It'll be here next week. Also ordered a VGA to CGA pinout adapter to make most of this plug and play.
115.00 to my door and should be up and running again.
Figured id post my findings for the next guy whos monitor craps the bed and doesn't want to spend an arm and leg to replace it.

I’m not good with monitor types and I’m still newer to arcade. I know the bbh is a 27” medium res, correct? I don’t think I’ve heard of cga. Can you explain a little more about what you are doing? Sounds interesting and could help future owners!

1 week later
#182 6 months ago

So an update on the BB Safari I bought. It arrived and I replaced the battery on the computer due to the low voltage error at start up. I made a mistake when booting it back up of hitting F1 instead of going into the Bios. Played the game for a bit and turned it off.

Since then, everytime it boots up, it just goes to the screen and flashes disconnect in different colors on the screen. Before this problem, it would boot up and was?playable by just hitting F1. Can't play the game at all now. All connections look fine as they were before taking out the comouter to replace the CMOS battery.

Any idea what the problem is? Have it in my basement now so need to figure out how to fix this thing. Kind of frustrated right now.

20190302_184539 (resized).jpg20190302_184541 (resized).jpg20190302_184542 (resized).jpg

#183 6 months ago

that means that the computer isn't sending a signal to the monitor. Does the computer turn on when you power up the game or do you need to start it manually?

#184 6 months ago

that means that the computer isn't sending a signal to the monitor. Does the computer turn on when you power up the game or do you need to start it manually?

Not sure. I can try to start it with the computer and see what happens. The light on the computer power switch is amber colored after turning it on from the back. Should it be green or another color?

#185 6 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Not sure. I can try to start it with the computer and see what happens. The light on the computer power switch is amber colored after turning it on from the back. Should it be green or another color?

It should be green

#186 6 months ago

In the safari manual there is a bunch of bios config settings, some that have to do with power. I’d make sure they are set properly.

1 week later
#187 6 months ago

So an update on my ongoing Big Buck Safari triage. When we tried to hook the computer to a separate monitor to check and change the bios, the computer wouldn't turn on. Last week it had a yellow or amber color on the power button and this week, nothing.

It appears the power supply is dead. Could a dying power supply and not the cmos battery been the cause of the orginal, "Alert! Systerm battery voltage low" error or has something else (power supply or something else) gone wrong besides the cmos?

The power supply I need is for a Dell Ootiplex 740 (enhanced) computer. Here is a picture. Any idea have an idea where the best place to buy one of these or an interchangeable ps would be?
Resized952019031195122208 (resized).jpgResized952019031195122221 (resized).jpgResized952019031195122227 (resized).jpg

#188 6 months ago

Amazon has some old stock. In some cases you might be able to find an entire working 740 for a similar price.

In Canada staples.ca , there’s a 740 listed for $160 Canuck bucks.

You could have had multiple issues going on with the game.

Sucks about your game! Keep us posted. We here to help.

#189 6 months ago

Finally dug into my non working BBH Pro/World. Started with the CMOS battery. It was dead but didn't fix anything when replaced. The computer does absolutely nothing, typically this means power supply. I found one that matched on Newegg for about $60 shipped. My fingers are crossed. I bought a 120GB SSD for $20, I plan on putting that it to hopefully speed up the boot time. Does anyone have an image for the latest World? I have a CD somewhere, but it's not the newest version. Also, are there any other worthwhile upgrades while I have the hood open like RAM? I really hope it's not the motherboard, I didn't see any reasonable prices for motherboards.

#190 6 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Finally dug into my non working BBH Pro/World. Started with the CMOS battery. It was dead but didn't fix anything when replaced. The computer does absolutely nothing, typically this means power supply. I found one that matched on Newegg for about $60 shipped. My fingers are crossed. I bought a 120GB SSD for $20, I plan on putting that it to hopefully speed up the boot time. Does anyone have an image for the latest World? I have a CD somewhere, but it's not the newest version. Also, are there any other worthwhile upgrades while I have the hood open like RAM? I really hope it's not the motherboard, I didn't see any reasonable prices for motherboards.

You can order replacement restore CD from raw thrills. Just check the release notes to make sure you get the right one for your motherboard

#191 6 months ago

You can order replacement restore CD from raw thrills. Just check the release notes to make sure you get the right one for your motherboard

I saw that, they want $20 for the disc though. I was hoping someone might have it and could share an image. My disc is 1.05. I'll have to find some release notes to see if it's worth $20 plus shipping to upgrade.

#192 6 months ago

I had a world and pro disc and left both with the game and don’t remember making a back up

#193 6 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

More ram and ssd really sped up the load times for me. I think I also went with a dual core amd cpu

#194 6 months ago

If I ever get mine going, I would eventually like to upgrade from Safari to World. Anyone have any idea how to go about this and cost?

#195 6 months ago
Quoted from Boat:

Amazon has some old stock. In some cases you might be able to find an entire working 740 for a similar price.
In Canada staples.ca , there’s a 740 listed for $160 Canuck bucks.
You could have had multiple issues going on with the game.
Sucks about your game! Keep us posted. We here to help.

Thanks! I took the computer to a local PC store this afternoon. They didn’t have a compatible PS but did test the HD and confirmed that it is fine.

The guy told me it is likely the PS so I am going to order a new one and cross my fingers that gets everything up and going. If not, may consider looking for a new computer altogether.

#196 6 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

If I ever get mine going, I would eventually like to upgrade from Safari to World. Anyone have any idea how to go about this and cost?

You have to find someone selling the security (usb) dongles and cd. ~$500-600 to go pro or safari to world. Totally worth it. Two full games in one.

#197 6 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You have to find someone selling the security (usb) dongles and cd. ~$500-600 to go pro or safari to world. Totally worth it. Two full games in one.

Thanks Northvibe. Anyone on here sell them? Can they be had for any less then $500 or is that the rate? Guessing it has to be ordered through Raw Thrills or Betson, right?

#198 6 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thanks Northvibe. Anyone on here sell them? Can they be had for any less then $500 or is that the rate? Guessing it has to be ordered through Raw Thrills or Betson, right?

I had found someone on klov, raw and betson don’t sell them anymore thag im aware of, so you’ll usually find operators that put together kits from old games. @Kingpin May sell them? If not I can ask around.

#199 6 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I had found someone on klov, raw and betson don’t sell them anymore thag im aware of, so you’ll usually find operators that put together kits from old games. @Kingpin May sell them? If not I can ask around.

Thank you. Surprised Betson doesn’t sell them anymore (and that they cost that much) but any help is very appreciated.

#200 6 months ago

I can look around. I know I have restore disks (not sure on the version), but i doubt I have any spare dongles.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside