(Topic ID: 144462)

Unofficial Big Buck Hunter Arcade thread (BBH)

By northvibe

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,750 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by evh347
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B85BB88-7DA4-4AB4-9BE4-A6BD3EA0F101 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240225_132927_Dropbox.jpg
IMG_0791 (resized).jpeg
20231227_162355 (resized).jpg
20231227_161012 (resized).jpg
20231227_161042 (resized).jpg
20231227_161015 (resized).jpg
image0 (resized).jpeg
PS Logo (resized).jpg
BBHD_42_ReloadedRESIZED (resized).png
BBHR_CabinetRender_v2 (resized).png
IMG_0766 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0765 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0264 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0263 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,750 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 35.
#1 8 years ago

Here is the unofficial thread to talk about any and all Big Buck Hunter Arcade games!

Units:
Big buck hunter (2000)
Big Buck Hunter: Shooter's Challenge
Big Buck Hunter II: Sportsman's Paradise
Big Buck Hunter: Call of the Wild
Big Buck Hunter Pro (2006)
- Available for Nintendo Wii
- Available for Windows PC cd-rom (includes 3 old BBH's)
- Big Buck Hunter Pro Adventure - Windows 8/10 download. Higher res graphics and works on tablets.
Big Buck Safari (2008)
Big Buck Hunter Pro: Open Season
Big Buck World (2010)
Content of Big Buck Hunter Pro: Open Season and the newly updated Big Buck Safari: Outback
Big Buck HD (2012)
Includes HD versions of Pro, Safari and Duck Dynasty
Big Buck HD Wild
Includes above HD with Zombies and prehistoric animals

Ask questions and just general talk about the game!

#2 8 years ago

General info:
BBH to BBH COTW
Use a arcade motherboard, rom and hard drive

BBH Pro and on
Use a computer (ATX motherboard), hard drive and USB security key

BBH Pro Software (newest is 1.25)
http://rawthrillsmedia.com/software-archive/bbhp/

BBH Pro Open season Software (newest in the US v01.50.08)
http://rawthrillsmedia.com/software-archive/bbhp-os/

Standard means the 27" CRT monitor arcade unit
Deluxe is the larger lcd , 2 piece arcade unit.
Super Deluxe is some huge thing I haven't seen

BBH Safari
http://rawthrillsmedia.com/software-archive/bbs/

#3 8 years ago

BBH Pro to World games:

Replacement Motherboard options:
Must be AM3/AM2 dual core AMD processor, prior to FX chips
Minimum 512mb of ram
Serial port
3 or more USB ports (if you update to World, need at least 3)

Dell Optiplex 740
CPU: AMD Phenom 3-4core or Ahtlon 64x2
North Bridge: Nvidia Quadro NVS 210S
South Bridge: nForce 430
Video: Nvidia NVS 210S graphics3
Audio: Sigmatel 9200 HAD Codec

Dell Optiplex 580 (on Betson’s site)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 or Athlon II X2
RAM: 1GB DDR3
North Bridge: AMD 785G
South Bridge: AMD 785G
Video (integrated): ATI Radeon HD 4200
Audio: RealTek ALC269 High Definition Audio

Biostar N68S+ chipset
CPU: AM2+/AM3 socket
Chipset: Nvidia MCP68S
Ram: DDR2
Video: Nvidia GeForce 7025
Audio: Realtek ALC662

Asrock N68C-GS4 FX – Does this work? (on betson’s site as well)
CPU: AM2/AM3
North Bridge: Nvidia GeForce 7025
South Bridge: nForce 630a
Ram: DDR2/3
Audio: Realtek ALC662 / VIA VT1705

Hard drive replacement:
You can use SATA or IDE hdd. Recommend 40GB or bigger.
Must have restore DVD OR block copy the original to new hdd
Order from Raw Thrills for $10
Install HDD w/ proper jumper
Verify in BIOS the HDD is recognized
Make sure cd/dvd-rom is set to boot first
Put restore DVD in drive
Reboot PC
Restore will happen automatically
Remove disc’s and reboot

Faster RAM or SSD HDD can help with some lag

How software versions work:
Software versions can be updated while using the same USB security key for that specific game. If you convert a Pro to Safari, you’d need the safari USB key and restore disc’s.

How upgrade kits work:
There are a few similar games
Pro, Pro Open Season, Safari and World
They all run similar hardware in the standup 27” unit

Pro, Pro open season and safari can be “upgraded” to run World.

World is just Pro open season and Safari together. So in theory you get 2 big games in one BBH unit.

Each version of the game requires a USB security key and Restore dvd.
For instance if you have a Pro and want the world update. You will have installed a pro usb, open season usb, and world usb. Along with the World restore dvd.

Restore dvd’s can be purchased from Raw Thrills to get a DVD or download iso image to burn yourself at $10 and $5 respectively.

USB Security keys need to be purchased from Betson or found used from a Operator, used market or distributor.

Added over 5 years ago:

BBH HD Software
Purchase from raw thrills
https://rawthrills.com/media/software/bbhd/

#4 8 years ago

I'm going to kick this party off. I just recently purchased a BBH Pro. Good shape but has/had some issues. Was looking to get one I could fix up. I love arcade games (hydro thunder, h2overdrive, dirty racin and old ones) but I've never had one. The CRT is kind of the scariest part

I've dug in and found a normal pc runs the game, but the stock one is very flakey. Looking at getting a new motherboard or dell optiplex 740 to run the game.

I also ordered the World update kit so I can play Pro open season and Safari.

Having a little issue with shots registering around the edge of the screen. Picture is almost curved around the edge...not sure. New monitor may be on the list of things.

IMG_0934.jpgIMG_0934.jpg

The actual picture is too wide/big for the physical monitor. I tried adjusting it and it won't go any smaller, so the left/right is cut off. you can also see a slight slant to the grid, can't adjust that either.
IMG_0940.jpgIMG_0940.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Here is my big buck HD with duck and zombies in it. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#6 8 years ago

As always Tatman, an awesome collection. Glad to see a chexx and BBH in there! I wanted an HD bad, but with a wedding coming up...had to put that on hold.

How do you like the Zombie stuff in it?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

As always Tatman, an awesome collection. Glad to see a chexx and BBH in there! I wanted an HD bad, but with a wedding coming up...had to put that on hold.
How do you like the Zombie stuff in it?

Zombie stuff is very cool. A lot of shooting so your arm gets tired.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Hahah. Damn I still need to find one on route to try it. Bbw is the only one in Duluth with it....I think.

I got the world upgrade kit installed and working. Lots of loading so I'll try more ram and ssd hard drive.

I also pulled the crt, and did manual pot adjustments until the picture was smaller than the tube. Then used the digital adjustments to get the right size on screen. Works and looks better but the bottom inch still doesn't register shots well.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#9 8 years ago

This condo renovation picture was on Reddit last week. RIP BBH2.

bYNpyKK.jpgbYNpyKK.jpg

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Ya we just put zombies on our BBHD and it's crazy how hard it is! I shouldn't be sore the next day after playing an arcade game! Lol

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Ya we just put zombies on our BBHD and it's crazy how hard it is! I shouldn't be sore the next day after playing an arcade game! Lol

just figured out in zombies you dont have to pump the gun ,just trigger .

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

This condo renovation picture was on Reddit last week. RIP BBH2.

bYNpyKK.jpg

You let the bbh go?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

just figured out in zombies you dont have to pump the gun ,just trigger .

haha, that will help with the arm soreness

#14 8 years ago

Trying to move my BBH Pro to an SSD sata drive. THe restore discs looked like they copied the data but it wouldn't boot. Not sure if the linux paritioning didn't work fully, or the motherboard doesn't support the correct mode. Trying a raw dd copy. If this doesn't work, I'll be getting the upgraded computer at some point and see if it works then.

Otherwise i decommissioned an old pc and pulled the ddr out of that. So now my stock bbh pc has 1gb of ram. instead of 512

2 months later
#15 8 years ago

Got a new Dell pc installed w/ ssd. Working but I got the slim pc so the power button is all funky. Soldered new wires on....need to get it to power on auto, otherwise it is good.

EDIT: Update, I upgraded to World as well. Great having 2 games in one problem is, it doesn't get played much.

Anyone order parts from Betson? I am trying to make an account through them, but man it is taking a while.

#16 8 years ago

I'm looking at getting a bbh 2006 and there is a problem with the gun, it has to be close to the screen to register shots. Does anyone have any ideas on why. I don't know a lot about vids and don't want to buy it if it is not worth fixing.
Thanks Mike

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I'm looking at getting a bbh 2006 and there is a problem with the gun, it has to be close to the screen to register shots. Does anyone have any ideas on why. I don't know a lot about vids and don't want to buy it if it is not worth fixing.
Thanks Mike

could be the monitor or the gun.

Monitor - be nice if that was a 2 player so you'd know easier which. There isn't much to the monitor side if the monitor is working correctly and looks good. As long as it registers in the proper location close I think it would be okay.

Guns - There is a small pcb board with an opto and a lens. If the lens is dirty or broke, could be an issue. The guns get banged around hard, so if the opto has cold solder joins or is failing, could be an easy fix as well.

With what you describe, if you get this for a good deal, under $300. I'd get it and replace the gun opto board to start.

#19 8 years ago

Ok they are asking 550 Obo.
I was thinking under 250'is all I want to pay
Thanks for the info

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Ok they are asking 550 Obo.
I was thinking under 250'is all I want to pay
Thanks for the info

is it a retail location or op? Yeah, for a old single player BBH.....sorry but to me, that is too expensive. Especially with it not working 100%. You can find that game for 250-400 on craigslist. working.

You can get the BBH pro, 2006 and another on 1 disc for computer/pc. Then get your own light gun(s). make your own cab....that was going to be my direction until I found my BBH on CL.

1 month later
#21 8 years ago

Slim dell has a daughter board for the front panel buttons and usb/etc. I couldn't correctly validate the power button pins for the ribbon, when trying it seems like the button fried out some. I just found an Arock board listed above and ordered that. I'll put that in the stock case, swap in the cpu and ram and test it out.

#22 8 years ago

ASROCK motherboard is rocking! Game runs sooooo much smoother than the optiplex 740 slim. Safari girls when punching the score, are smooth.

New gun works well, but still have the bottom screen issue. Kingpin's suggestion of monitor board rebuild is next.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Slim dell has a daughter board for the front panel buttons and usb/etc. I couldn't correctly validate the power button pins for the ribbon, when trying it seems like the button fried out some. I just found an Arock board listed above and ordered that. I'll put that in the stock case, swap in the cpu and ram and test it out.

This actually doesn't matter. What I was confused on was the watchdog security dongle. If the cabinet has it's own power supply then you don't need that 2 prong deal on the cpu. Set new cpu bios to repower pc back on with power loss.

1 month later
#24 7 years ago

I just bought a big buck hunter HD. I haven't even set it up but I am wondering if the add ons are worth it? I am a zombie fan so I am really interested in that add on plus would like some info on the duck dynasty add on. I didn't realize how expensive these were so I want to make sure they are worth it?

Also is there a difference between big buck HD and big buck wild? If so what is the difference?

Thanks, Mike

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I just bought a big buck hunter HD. I haven't even set it up but I am wondering if the add ons are worth it? I am a zombie fan so I am really interested in that add on plus would like some info on the duck dynasty add on. I didn't realize how expensive these were so I want to make sure they are worth it?
Also is there a difference between big buck HD and big buck wild? If so what is the difference?
Thanks, Mike

My first post sort of explains it.

BBH HD alone, includes BBH World
Then there are add ons for Duck dynasty
BBH HD Wild includes the prehistoric addon and zombies
New BigHorn Sheep addon was released April 1st 2016

I thnk there are 2 ways to get updates. You can get a subscription which is like you operating it on location, with cancelation fee. Or you can buy the addon out right. And yes, it is expensive :/

Tatman has the zombie pack as said above and said it was a good time. I still haven't played it on location yet.....Been pondering selling my BBHW for an HD....

1 week later
#26 7 years ago

I got my new D9800 Chassis connected and the monitor back in the game. Just need to turn up the brightness pot on the flyback and then tweak/adjust the screen. The new green gun seems to fire nice/accurate but my orange generic iT gun is @#$#@$ off. I'll try my other orange bbh gun and then rebuild if necessary the internals.

I heard the new big horn? expansion was released recently for BBH HD. Anyone try it yet?

#27 7 years ago

Local pin guy is selling his BBH Safari HOU for a good price

minneapolis.craigslist.org link

#28 7 years ago

I am probably going re-decal one side of my buck hunter HD or at least I am going to do the Reload decal. Probably more of an arcade forum question but how hard is this to do? I have never re-decaled anything. Am I in for trouble? Thanks, Mike

#29 7 years ago

I haven't either! I've watched some pinball redecals on you tube. Doesn't seem horrible, but I for sure can see the first time being....interesting.

betson sells the side decals and other stickers. idk how bad it is, I guess I would leave it unless it was really bugging you.

#30 7 years ago

The reload is thrashed. The side decal is ok but peeling pretty bad. I have already bought the decals and replace the reload for sure. I may sit on the side decal for a while. I guess it depends how the reload decal goes. The were only like $40 bucks so if I screw if up it wont be too bad but I do want it to look good.

2 weeks later
#31 7 years ago

I didnt think home versions could play Duck Dynasty

#32 7 years ago

You can get all the expansions, with enough money. They cost more than most want to spend though.

Expansions on the new system are a yearly service, or full payout and are over $1k

#33 7 years ago

Yeah I understand money works wonders but I Just thought the zombie add was like a grand & available to home & op models but DD add on was only for coin op models due to licensing

Makes me think DD is yearly only & one day when the licensing agreement ends between A&E and RawnThrills it wont be on your cab?

So how much $$$ are we talking

#34 7 years ago

Uffda. Hate to have that expire in a home.

Man I will have to look back up the pricing. I forgot where I found it.... I'll dig again and see what I can find. I know there was a monthly online vs full payout or get monthly, cancel, pay fee and keep?

#35 7 years ago

I have been looking at all these options. I only have HD now and I am 99% sure you can buy and off line version of DD. I believe it is like $1,200, paired with the first season of wild.
I was more interested in the zombies which that combo pack does exist for. For what it is worth an above post said DD was only so-so.

#37 7 years ago

Yeah I know you can buy the updates/packs but I've seen things online leading me to believe DD is only compatible with online coin op editions

I know for a fact zombie can be added to an offline edition. Its the DD that seems to be online specific?

Look under each arcade @ this link

http://www.bmigaming.com/bigbuckhunter-big-buck-hd-offline-models.htm

#38 7 years ago

You can purchase everything 'offline' and own it forever, Wild, Zombies and/or Duck Dynasty.

For online games it's "free" for the premium content (automatically uploaded whenever we release new content) and then we (Raw Thrills) share in the earnings of that premium content.

#39 7 years ago

I don't know if it is the best price but the link above sells DD off line. I am going to be buying Wild season 1 and zombies in the next few weeks. If anyone knows where to get the best price that would be great. Thanks, Mike

#40 7 years ago

So a 42" BBH w/DD & Zombies offline = $8500?

I struggle to see the value in that for a home environment.

A loaded up Golden Tee is like half that right?

#41 7 years ago

I got mine for $2,800 but have yet to add zombies. I need to re-decal for perfect but you can get a nice one for a lot less than $8,500

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I got mine for $2,800 but have yet to add zombies. I need to re-decal for perfect but you can get a nice one for a lot less than $8,500

You got an HD for 2800?! I'd pay that all day! I couldn't find any HD for under $4k

Let me see about the add on prices today

#43 7 years ago

I bought it with a terminator salvation that is in great shape. I was going to pay over 5k just for the salvation but I got the pair for $7,800. I guess I Just found the right seller. I had to rent a large truck and drive couple hundred miles to get them but it was worth it to me.

#44 7 years ago

Looking for the best monitor for BBH HD. Mine came with a smaller monitor and I want to update. Leechman gave me a model but it is outdated and I can't find one. Does any other any recommendations? Thanks, Mike

#45 7 years ago

We maintain an approved monitor list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oIvZWSvdPwZalnotYfV81Yu2rtG1jd13_jwyYymtddU/edit#gid=6

Not sure of the last update, but it's definitely a good place to start.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

We maintain an approved monitor list here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oIvZWSvdPwZalnotYfV81Yu2rtG1jd13_jwyYymtddU/edit#gid=6
Not sure of the last update, but it's definitely a good place to start.

Do you have any recommendations? The guy above said he tried 4 monitors before find one that was satisfactory. Thanks, Mike

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Do you have any recommendations? The guy above said he tried 4 monitors before find one that was satisfactory. Thanks, Mike

Anything on that list has met our specs with respect to latency. Anything not on that list (and we've tested a ton), and you can run into those lag issues that people often complain about when playing Pinball Arcade on their TV. Obviously with the shot timing from our rifle, latency is a big issue for us on BBHD (compared to say our driving games where that timing between controller and display isn't nearly as important).

#48 7 years ago

still can't find the details I had before, but it is all through coinup.com and you can call and talk to your rep at betson.

https://www.coinup.com/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OXG58qsQ5Nw4YdRHyBrxn03OWNod0giv77ARZoW0Cfk/edit?pref=2&pli=1

3 yr kit includes dlc for 3 years.
ebay.com link: Big Buck HD Wild 3 Year Zombie Upgrade Kit

6 months later
#49 7 years ago

I got the update kit for Christmas. I have not installed it yet. Any tips in updating? Is it pretty straight forward? My update did not come with instructions. Excited to see what wild and zombies has to offer. Also still need to get a larger monitor but that is down the line. Thanks, Mike

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I got the update kit for Christmas. I have not installed it yet. Any tips in updating? Is it pretty straight forward? My update did not come with instructions. Excited to see what wild and zombies has to offer. Also still need to get a larger monitor but that is down the line. Thanks, Mike

mmmm, not familiar with new BBH updates. But usually they have a usb "key" and cd/dvd that you reboot pc and boot off of to install. Hopefully someone else knows?

There are 1,750 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-big-buck-hunter-arcade-thread-bbh/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.