AIQ (resized).jpg
84799CB3-8D09-490D-BFAC-61794876C227 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1478 (resized).JPG
46E62828-B220-4E53-96B6-D1C787AB7C9C (resized).jpeg
4648489E-0E45-485A-8D8F-055E4E3C02C0 (resized).jpeg
F98244A5-83BE-405F-8EDC-F0C31096DF8D (resized).jpeg
3E2537C0-39D7-4B32-89F1-7757D24819D9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (1 year ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (1 year ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (12 months ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Bricarus (12 months ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (12 months ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (12 months ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (11 months ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (11 months ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 1 year ago

I'm in! This is my second NIB and first premium.

Never bought a game before release so I'm pretty darn excited.

#173 1 year ago

Awesome that means some people might be getting their games within the next couple weeks! Can't wait to see premiums rolling out!

#224 1 year ago

Not doing anything on mine, just pulling it out of the box, testing all the switches and coils, then letting it rip!

#297 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

So Im in need of a new distributer in the New Jersey area for stern. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know about New Jersey but you should give Trent at TILT Amusements a buzz.

#338 1 year ago
Quoted from BirdForce1:

I admit, if I had the dough I'd be in for a premium, but my wife says I only have enough for a pro!
I'm already batting out of my league, so no complaints from this guy!

The pro is going to be a tremendous amount of fun. Without the ball pausing in the vuk or subway the game will be lightning fast.

#514 1 year ago

We should be seeing unboxings any day now.

Congrats to everyone receiving games!

1 week later
#848 1 year ago
Quoted from blimpey:

X-Men came over for a visit. Micro Machines.
[quoted image]

Hah that's cute!

1 week later
#1315 1 year ago

Are you really a pinballer if you don't have several new sheets of glass boxed up in your shop?

Bummer about the scratch from the factory, I bet they get you all fixed up.

#1357 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

Premium shipped today!! WooHoo!

Congrats! Can't wait to hear mine has shipped!

#1407 1 year ago

I don't have my game yet so I can't be certain on this, but the manual looks like there is a levelling bushing with 3 nuts that might be able to be adjusted:

pasted_image (resized).png
#1419 1 year ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

but man it seems like there's been something going on with everyone's pin which has me a bit worried.

I wouldn't sweat it. What you aren't seeing is the 1000 games they've already shipped that don't have any issues.

There are literally thousands of failure points on these games.

One process I go through with any game that comes into my possession, either NIB or used, is run through a type of "intake procedure". I usually print out the switch, coil, and light pages from the manual then go through the service menu and test them all and cross them off, before playing the first game. I check everything for tightness, connectors are all pushed on, etc....

Shipping beats the crap out of these things so even if they "QA" in the factory, I expect there to always be some tweaking to get it running optimally. It makes unboxings less flashy to spend 2 hours testing the game, but I'd rather do that than have a sub-optimal play experience.

#1518 1 year ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks everyone, seems my Pinstadium lights were causing the short. Strange I've used them in most of my sterns and never had such an issue.

I definitely recommend powering any mods separately and not leeching off the pin's power.

#1529 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Why? There’s plenty of power available if you know what you are doing and don’t go crazy. I’ve never ever had a power issue with a spike game, or any game really.

Because all spike machines have properly calculated power budgets. Leeching power from the pin can push them over that budget. These aren't the machines of old where you could just tap into power willy-nilly.

I can understand why you'd not like my statement though, given your business.

#1577 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Okay finished temp testing on Avengers Pro. I would rank it only as mild fade (more occasional bricked shots, missed shots once ~135 degrees is reached) after a solid hour of play. It takes a LOT longer than TMNT to even get into the 130s (over 45 minutes of solid play) and once it's there, it hovers around 132-135 degrees. The longest session I tested was 60 minutes and it was only beginning to feel the very slightest bit fade-y at the end. I would put this in the mild class.
So, thus far flipper coil temp testing reveals these coil fade ratings:
None - Star Wars
Mild - Avengers (135 peak temp after 60 minutes of play)
Moderate - TMNT, Iron Maiden, TNA
Severe - Stranger Things (>157 degrees after 45 minutes of play)

Nice to see a little real science in here!

#1660 1 year ago

Just got the call my premium arrives tomorrow!!!! WOOT!!!

#1699 12 months ago

Officially in the house!

#1725 12 months ago

Got a few games on mine before I went to bed last night. Holy crap this game plays smooth. I had no clue what I was doing yet but it's so satisfying to play.

There are shots everywhere on this game and they are really hard to brick. It really does flow so well.

Just with a cursory look over the playfield they've done a lot of cool geometry tricks to make it flow like this, and it works amazing.

Can't wait to get more games on it today!!!!

#1727 12 months ago

This morning my wife and I played a couple of games and she took a long look at the playfield. She said "wow, the art on this one is really beautiful." She's never said that before.

zombieyeti you did amazing. I keep finding little things in the art that make me smile.

#1732 12 months ago
Quoted from eyeguy123:

Yes, i have the same issue with my premium. It is dangerously hard to slide the glass on and off. Please let me know if they give you a fix.

Mine is also a little tighter than I am used to, but not tight like you guys are saying.

#1762 12 months ago

Got a few games in on 0.92, there are definitely more call outs! Some of them are pretty funny too.

I am really glad they added the tips to the quest selection screen to tell you what the gems do. I don't have much of a strategy around where I place gems yet though.

#2033 11 months ago
Quoted from Dahawk007:

Just got the call. FedEx dropping off my Premium tomorrow!

Congrats! I'm absolutely loving mine. I've personally not had any issues.

The game in general makes me feel like a better player than I am. The ball just seems to end up making shots most of the time.

My only software request right now would be to make the subway go ahead and begin advancing the ball toward the VUK while we are choosing a gem quest, instead of waiting to start that after I've selected one.

#2047 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Take a slow mo video of each ramp return to find exactly where it’s happening and adjust the ramps to fix the issue.

Can't stress this piece of advice enough. If the ball is doing something it shouldn't, slow it down and investigate. Definitely investigate your pitch and roll on the machine as well.

#2190 11 months ago

How many of you are able to beat Proxima Midnight? That's the battle/quest I'm currently working on.

#2226 11 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Try defeating Supergiant first, then place the mind gem on the drop targets. Ramp, ramp, action button.

I really appreciate the tips! Honestly I haven't beat supergiant yet either! I'll switch to trying that one and see if I get further.

Like I mentioned before I'm not a great player.

#2240 11 months ago

What's the general strategy on collecting and levelling the avengers? Is that something I should go for before starting gem quests or should I just kinda let the avengers collect/level as a natural part of playing?

#2245 11 months ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Here's a great video from Raymond Davidson explaining strategy. I highly recommend it if you don't feel like reading a 25 page rulesheet.

Sweet thanks, I've got the rulesheet printed out and I refer to it a lot. I'll check out this video!

#2288 11 months ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

In a gem quest, I'd love to have a drain take away a chunk of my health rather than losing the battle. For mediocre players like me, it's so discouraging to get my opponent down to almost no health and then lose all progress because of the drain. Why not take 30-50% of my health for a drain (as an option - good players could still go hardcore)?
If you've taken some damage you'll die anyway, but if you're dominating you'll get a second chance.

I literally made the same suggestion to someone else! I feel like this would be a nice improvement. You can still lose the quest, so all other mechanics stay intact.

#2295 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yep, the health bar is really just a timer, but only for health bonus - not completion. Good compromise. If you're stuck in a single-ball quest and not close to Thor or IMMB, play as slowly and deliberately as you need to maintain control. The gem is far more important than the health bonus.

I wrongly thought the quest was failed when you ran out of health. I've never had a ball in play long enough to run out of health.

#2323 11 months ago

There's no doubt AIQ is a challenging game! That also makes it really enjoyable as well. It gives me a lot of the "dammit, next time I'm going to beat sueprgiant" feelings.

I am just continuing to bang out games on it, after all that's why I have it in my house.

#2363 11 months ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I've got about 70 games in on my AIQ Premium. I have not once seen the post rise up from the PF that resides in from of Avengers Tower. When
does that actuate? What am I missing? The outlines are killing me, and defeating any villain takes loads of effort. So you 500MM scorers are shaming me. I feel like I'm a decent pinball player skill wise, but what's limiting my scoring is knowledge regarding rules. I can hit the shots, I just need to learn "when to hit what". Mostly I concentrate on flashing arrows. It's a work in progress. ; )

Have you won a gem yet? I just won my first gem quest last night, actually got to claim the gem, and actually got to place it!!!!! This was huge for me. That was the only time i've seen it do something.

#2377 11 months ago
Quoted from Eulenstein:

By the way is there actually a shot or animation for Adam Warlock or Falcon? After all both can be seen on the playfield.

I've seen a Falcon animation play when I do a "Flank Attack" by going around the orbit over the rollover and down into the pops.

#2380 11 months ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Had my first 100MM point game after I made that post. Won my first gem and the post activated. : ) Placed the post on my best shot, but that's probably not what I should have done. Ha! Still learning.

Same, hahaha! Next up, 2 gems.

#2390 11 months ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

Hey everyone - received my AIQ Premium on Friday - having an absolute blast. My first pin - very excited to start a collection!
Game is playing great, with one minor issue. Every now and then I get a VERY loud "pop" from the speakers. It never occurs due to any one thing - kind of random. Happened most recently when I hit the action button the top front of the machine. Anyone else run into this?
The speakers seem to sound fine otherwise, so I don't think the speakers are bad. Not sure what's up...
Thanks!

Are you hearing the "knocker", like when you get an extra ball or a replay?

#2413 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I wonder what we can do to fix this issue. Do you think it is bad speakers or the amp on are main board is bad. Doess anyone know what we can test.

I've never seen/heard a Spike 2 do that, does anyone have any video so we can get a better idea of what is going on? Electronic noises have very specific sounds.

#2442 11 months ago
Quoted from cloggedDrain:

I collected my first gem last night and it was the most rewarding moment in pinball!

Congrats!!!

#2556 11 months ago

I was able to download it and install it yesterday when it first came out.

Got a handful of games on the new code and wanted to thank Stern for putting in the change that makes the balls start walking the subway while you are choosing a quest. I was super happy to cut my waiting time down there!

#2561 11 months ago
Quoted from dbb143:

You wouldn't be willing to upload to like a Google drive link (or similar) to share would you by chance?

Sure! It's going to take me a bit to get it uploaded but I'll post when it's available.

#2567 11 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

Just had my best game to date, 3 gems collected, 4 avengers at max power up, portal locks so all quests where double scoring, amazing game already and we are only on .93 code.

Holy hell!

Remind me to never play you for money.

Does anyone need the download still? Sounds like the downloads are working now.

#2675 11 months ago

I think both are winners on this game, because the layout in general is fantastic!

#2794 11 months ago

Had my best game ever last night, was able to collect 2 gems and also get to the Soul Gem mode but wasn't able to complete it.

I actually did a little dance when I intentionally beat supergiant then went on to beat proxima midnight!

So fun!!

#2833 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Does nobody use the black rubber Stern installs at the factory? Not seeing any wear on our factory flipper rubber after a couple hundred plays...

I do, zero issues so far.

I thought i was the only one who didn't immediately load the game up with mods and change all the rubbers.

#2844 11 months ago

I'm not against mods, just thought I was in the minority not loading it up day 1.

#2987 11 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

Get the mind gem before starting soul gem and power up its avenger to level 1. You can now spot 3 soul gem shots with the button. There's advanced shenanigans involving space gem and another L1 Avenger that can net you 6 button presses, but three should be enough help to clear the mode.

Thanks for the tips! If there are any others, I'm all ears.

#3111 11 months ago
Quoted from bajm:

Hey everybody!
[quoted image]

Congrats and welcome to the club!

#3176 10 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Your file looks incorrect, it should have a .spk at the end.
[quoted image]

His windows just has extensions hidden. You can see in his screenshot it is a spk file.

Might be time to give Stern a quick call.

#3180 10 months ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

Thought you might have downloaded the LE software. Then I looked at the 2 files and LE and premium seem to have the same names. I wonder why? I believe the LE code has had different file name in the past.

I think it's always been that way. I have a premium and the 0.93 file I downloaded says LE as well.

#3254 10 months ago

Someone from Stern said in this or the other thread that the nut was left off on purpose.

1 week later
#3428 10 months ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

This is the second time Betson has sent me 4 Toppers when I only ordered 1.

Wanna sell one under cost?

#3441 10 months ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

I just contacted Stern through their "contact us" on their website but not overly optimistic I'll hear back quickly. I don't have any direct email contacts over there yet.

I'd reach out to the distributor you bought the game from, they can probably get you a replacement part or the instructions to fix it up pretty quick.

Welcome to pinside and pinball in general!

#3511 10 months ago
Quoted from Rocketrob:

MY Avengers pro should be here in 5 hours! Cant wait! My cliffy shipment hasn't made it in do you think i should wait or play it?

Play the shit out of it. Don't wait.

My premium is stock from the factory and I've got hundreds of games on it.

#3550 10 months ago

Congrats to all the people getting their games!!

1 week later
#3678 10 months ago
Quoted from Whifflebat:

What's the best way to slightly separate the left slingshot leaf switch. Just bend them manually?

Yeah basically.

They sell leaf switch adjustment tools to make it a little easier, but you can do it with tweezers or pliers too if you are careful.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SWK-B

That will typically be an adjustment you have to make from time to time. With all the beatings they take sometimes they get out of whack.

#3698 10 months ago

Holds the cash box in place.

3 months later
#6509 6 months ago

I brainstormed a few adjustments that I think the game could use, what are your thoughts?

1. Add an adjustment for "Lose Gems Permanently: Yes/No". This would keep the same core gameplay where the stones reside with the black order or thanos if you lose them, but allow you to do the gem quest again to try for it more times.

2. Add difficulty adjustments for each of the gem quests. On an easier setting, these adjustments would reduce the number of shot sequences you have to do in the gem quests, or open up more shots that do damage. An alternative to this would be to add in a feature like "Upgrade" on GotG that when activated turns on more shots that count toward completion. Maybe that could be tied in with levelling avengers?

3. Since the Avengers are a team, add a real co-op mode where everyone of the human players are trying to collect the same set of gems against thanos. Right now the social aspects of the game seem very focused on competition and not really on the social aspect as much.

I'm fully expecting the "play better" argument, but the singular focus on the competition aspect of the machine takes it to an unfortunate level. Arguments that say this would take dev time they don't have, etc... aren't really valid because they can spend the time to add harder difficulties, why can't they add easier ones?

#6539 6 months ago

Yeah I don't know that I agree with taking away mode choice or the strategy within. My suggestions for adjustments are all based on making specific gameplay achievements easier to attain, or more fun to grind on at least.

#6541 6 months ago
Quoted from shaub:

I definitely like the idea of difficulty options, not sure that I'm in favour of personally using the adjustments you suggest but Im certainly in favour of adding adjustments to allow people to set their machine more in line with what they want, while retaining the core gameplay that is.

Yeah, I love the core game, rules concept, and the layout is stellar. I tried to be careful thinking through my suggestions so they wouldn't change any of the stock behavior or any of the core game story. Just hoping for some ways to make the game a little more explorable for me and my family.

1 week later
#6663 6 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Pablo at Stern Tech Support sent me a new Walk-lock subway assembly to fix up the issue when two balls are in the portal lock and the rightmost finger is not in the correct position so the ball is not closing switch 47.
The first 4 photos are the new assembly. The photo with the new one on top and the old one on the bottom shows how much slack there is in the old one that the rightmost finger can get jammed between the rod the moves the fingers and the side of the assembly.
The next photo shows a close up of the old assembly with the finger jammed as described above. You can see the semi-circle of the finger in the rightmost semi circle opening.
The last two pictures are the new one.
The differences I can see are
1. The welds are much cleaner on the new one and are mostly flush with the assembly.
2. There is no play on the new assembly to force the rightmost finger to get jammed as it does on the old assembly.
Thanks to Pablo for sending. I will send back the old one and hopefully the new one will work with no issues. It was super easy to replace.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm having the exact same problem, there is so much slop in the mech my individual fingers are getting jammed beside the actuator bar.

I was going to reach out to my distributor today about it, but in the meantime I printed a bracket that is held in place by the coil that seems to be doing the trick.

20210422_195729 (resized).jpg
#6666 6 months ago
Quoted from xyntec:

That actually looks like a way better solution, it prevents the coil from pulling the bar to the side, so it probably also won't break that easily on the weld.
It could also help to make the fingers a bit thicker material I guess, maybe time to buy a 3d printer....

I actually have a new version on the printer right now that is a little bit thicker as i check out my clearances. Though the one in the picture is plenty strong enough especially with the right infill. There's not a ton of lateral force in the mech but the torsion the coil puts on it continuously tries to pull it out to the right.

#6672 6 months ago

I figured this might help someone else who is having the issue with the subway fingers getting lodged beside the actuator arm. Here is a link to the STL file for my little bracket thing. It seems to have gotten the job done on mine until I hear back.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DJDSD1__Y-dN_OwMMAi0Iu9pYIhtpVEu/view?usp=sharing

#6689 5 months ago

Here is a Pic of the two different subway plastics. The more recent one has the slot all the way to the end.

20201222_115055 (resized).jpg
#6690 5 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Excellent design! I’ll print one tomorrow to try it out! Ty.

Cool. If anyone doesn't have a printer and needs one of these, please post and maybe one of us with printers can get you taken care of. I'm able to play my game again without any issue. Got about 25 games on it with the fix in place and the subway is working like a champ. It was jamming every game before.

#6692 5 months ago

2 top solid layers, 2 bottom solid layers, 2 outer shell perimeters, 30% infill.

I printed it flat on the bed like this with support, and then just ran a metal file on the underside of the "fingers" to make sure there were no rough spots that the support left.

#6734 5 months ago

Wait, you guys can hit the hawkeye marksman challenge?

#6783 5 months ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Is it normal that topper gem lights of the started gem mode stay lit after game completion?
Lights of my topper stay lit until a reboot.

Yeah I think that's a special mode that carries over. The player that completes lighting them gets something but I don't remember what.

#6848 5 months ago
Quoted from John1210:

The settings are very customisable... if you're struggling a little or finding the game more punishing than you'd like change then up to your needs. Don't worry about how you think it should be played or how others play it... set it up for you. I personally don't allow thanos to take a gem as it pisses me off... and ive reduced the flips taken when draining in soul gem. I dont care what people think, I have more fun this way.
Its important to get soul gem early so doing that mode needs to happen before a lot of other modes.

The settings are not very customizable to make the game easier for lower skilled players. In one of my earlier posts I outlined code adjustments that I think would allow players like me to enjoy the game more.

I've heard though that Ray disagrees and thinks we should just turn it up to 10 balls. But that does not solve the problem.

Ray needs more experience with players that don't approach games from a competition standpoint.

I agree that if there aren't some code changes in the next few months I'll have to give up the game for something I enjoy more like deadpool. That kills me because marvel and avengers is literally one of my favorite things.

Hell, give me access to the code repo and build workflow and I'll add the new adjustments myself.

1 month later
#7209 4 months ago

I got a replacement mech from Stern to fix the finger getting stuck beside the actuator bar, and the first game I played with the new subway the middle weld broke.

I'm back on my sloppy mech with my 3d printed fix, which works every time.

1 month later
#7529 3 months ago
Quoted from Plungerboy:

unfortunately most of my friends struggle to collect one gem a game let alone compete for that perk.

That was why I ultimately sold the game recently. The code is not fun for casual players, in my opinion. I'm probably one of the biggest Avengers/Marvel fans you will meet so it pained me a lot to let the game go, but neither myself nor my family could get past the code/skill barrier.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside