04.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
IMG_1031 (resized).JPG
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
36863FBC-80B4-44C0-BAA5-628E16C6A2D9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thunderbird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 3 years ago

There is a significant upgrade in sound quality in an LE over the regular no name Stern Pro/Pre speaker kit. Both the LE’s back box Kenwood speakers and the Goldwood 4ohm 8” subwoofer in the cabinet, create a more immersive sound. However, I like to install a 10” Hertz ES 250 subwoofer in the cabinet for an even greater bass performance, along with a bass amp to get the performance out of the Hertz sub. But the Stern LE upgrade is sufficient and quite noticeable.

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

What bass amp are you using?

Using bass amps that I have built from parts ordered via Alibaba. Hooking them inline with the sound card on Spike 2. Powering them from the RN9 (think that is the slot name) slot in the back box. Hooking to dual voice coil on the sub.

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Have you ever used the Flipper fidelity speaker kits? I’m curious on if those are a good upgrade for the price?

Yes, have used one of those sets, but don’t think they’re as good as what I listed above. The FF has a decent crossover the back of the sub, but the speaker itself is only so so, imo. Magnet on the back is not anywhere near the quality of the Hertz 250 and pricing of the 2 is on parity.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

With the Stern LE you just need the amp kit from pinwoofer? And it's worth it, the difference?

Pinwoofer kit is nice and really is worth the money spent, imo. I’ve used Pinwoofer too. The subwoofer needs to be upgraded and used with Pinwoofer amp to hear the real difference. Stern’s LE sub is not that good, only sufficient. I keep the Stern Kenwood LE speakers because of the look in the LE back box, however, the Pinwoofer amp, will improve sound coming from those as well. This is the best mod/upgrade anyone can do to any pinball machine, imo.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

Just got my deposit back for my Premium and must relinquish my owner title... not sure what it is, but I just cant seem to get excited over this one. I'll probably regret it down the line but for now I will just be a spectator.

Watch Avengers Assemble on Disney Plus and it’ll get you in the mood. Particularly second season, which is this machine to a T. Appears they took story and even graphics from this series. Not watched it before seeing AIQ, but now into the theme quite excitedly, which I wasn’t when first heard about AIQ, because not that big of a fan of the movies. Avengers Assemble is quite good fun.

#202 3 years ago

Pins 4/5 years ago, maybe, but in TMNT they are good to use.

1 week later
#417 3 years ago

Excited to get LE’s in Oz, but we won’t get them till November.

1 week later
#1023 3 years ago

There is no comparison to GNR and AIQ. AIQ leaves it in the dust (imo), if you’re a true pinball player. It is interesting to download the manuals of both and you’ll see there is not much in GNR, except blinking lights and hype. AIQ has in it’s manual loads of awesome mechs, 5 ramps, interesting shots, etc. GNR has none of that. No mechs, no interesting wires forms, but it does light up ad nauseam to hide all the deficiencies and lack of toys (LEDs are real cheap to add to a game). It also goes from one multiball to another multiball, since there is nothing else to achieve on the PF. AIQ is a real pinball players layout, done by Keith a top player himself. While GNR is for those that like lights and hearing songs, but not much else in the way of interesting game play, imo.

(Of course, this is simply judging the 2 machines, not judging another person’s purchase decision.)

#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Okay before I reply I have an AIQLE paid in full and awaiting delivery and I’m super excited to get it, game looks amazing!
Anyway AIQ has loads of mechs? Not just mechs but awesome mechs!?
Magnetic tower
Spinning/Raising disc
Subway
VUK
GnR has none?
Magnet at top lanes
Spinning disc
Ramp diverter to upper playfield
Upper playfield with flipper
Upper playfield Gibson 6 ball lock
VUK on upper playfield to upper upper playfield
Fender playfield with tweeters and ramp return
Scoop
Ramp diverter to 3rd flipper
Stage spotlights
And GnR has no interesting ramps or wireforms? Come on man you don’t believe the stuff you just typed do you?
The right ramp has 2 drum sticks that make up the right ramp return that’s amazing theme integration, the left upper ramp wireform is designed to look like the strings on a bass guitar they are both awesome and amazing use of the theme integrating it into the game physically. Even the spinners are designed as plectrums they are awesome!!
As for gameplay I won’t comment yet as I haven’t had the chance to play either but from streams they both seem to play fantastic in their own ways. GnR gives you the option to make every mode a multiball using that Gibson ball lock very cool and like Aerosmith’s toy box risk reward.
I knew you where a Stern fanboy thunder but I’m starting to wondering is that you Gary?
I just don’t get this constant Stern VS JJP nonsense they are both pumping out amazing games, offering us all something different, we should be happy as hell that the industry is stronger and more unique than ever! Instead people spend their time trying to find faults that really don’t exist in the competition. Pinballs never been stronger and better let’s enjoy it people 2 amazing games released back to back = awesome!!!

Yes, it is me, Gary! Lol

Come on my mate J85M, you think by posting more words in an AIQ owners club thread, promoting GNR over AIQ you win??? (Lol) Only posted my opinion here about both games, after looking over the 2 manuals, because of interest in buying both machines. Yes, stand by what I said, there is not much in the way of toys/mechs in GNR. After studying the 2, decided to only purchase AIQLE, but grats to you for buying both, if that’s your cup of tea!

(BTW, did not post my opinion in the owners thread of GNR out of respect for those owners, but you take the cake coming in this thread posting like a JJP ultimate fanboy, in an Avengers owner thread. Let’s not make this a JJP vs. Stern bashing post. In addition, not a loyalist of any company, as you have implied. I’m simply a fan of good work regardless who does it and have purchased JJP as well, so that doesn’t hold water either. Lol

You are severely stretching to call the list you put together all actual mechs/toys on GNR. Download the manuals of both machines and take a good look as I have and you’ll begin to understand my earlier post. I have to chuckle how you put few mechs/toys bullet points for AIQ and stretched the highly questionable list for GNR. Good job!

2 weeks later
#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I hope you get a good GnR with no playfield issue, ultimately that’s what we all want a game that looks great and plays great out the box and stays that way for some time.

Would you get all your GNR promotion out of this thread! We don’t care about your GNR love fest. Go to the GNR thread and quit posting here, unless its about AIQ. Knock it off matie. (Sheesh, you JJP fanboys take the cake and never let up.)

#2198 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Wishing a fellow member of our hobby who was in on AIQ but dropping out due to his concerns over QC but staying in on arguably the bigger QC risk, especially at the minute when it comes to playfield quality, isn’t promotion or a love fest.
Its simply not wanting to see anyone get screwed over on a game with miserable QC, even you Brent!

Fair enough, but it didn’t seem that way from your comments about GNR. I have nothing against GNR, just think owners club threads should stay on topic.

Bond (you got the B right, lol)

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Something that should be pointed out in these owners threads, is that we come here looking for solutions to mostly minor problems. Pinside gives us this forum to help crowd source the issues that are there. Many owners do not have the issues and the owners thread looks like the pin is nothing but problems. Do not take these post's as there is a widespread issues with AIQ.
I have an LE and I have only experienced 3 problems. The ball flying off the ramp was easily fixed. The opto on the gauntlet ramp was fixed by vireland giving me advice. I have the issue with 2 balls locked in the subway; I am looking forward to the community figuring a fix.
IMO the owner threads give me confidence to buy a pin knowing that if there are issues I have a resource to help me.

Agreed. QC issues are way overrated for the most part and usually minor. I just received for example a TMNT with zero issues and several before that, with zero issues, like a JPLE. I anticipate zero issues with my AIQ when it arrives. Stern has really stepped up for the most part their QC imo, from Munsters going forward. Reading the TMNT thread before I received TMNT had me worried about numerous issues, which none of them were the case on the machine I received. Think it also has to do with an excellent distributor we have here in Oz that goes through each one before we receive them and then repackages to factory standards. Good job AMD!

1 week later
#2614 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I was up for a TMNT topper until the price was revealed, soon as I saw $999 my instant thought was f**k that!
But a few distributors are saying they have sold out of their allocations so there’s plenty of dumb suckers buying them up.

Agree with you, crazy high prices. Stern should be ashamed of trying to take such advantage of us for $40 worth of material. Also, it’s not hard to “sell out” of anything when your allotment is only 2 or 3, which is what many of these distributors only buy. Think Stern has made themselves look greedy and bad with this high price decision. Black Knight and Munsters were $399 and look like a bargain now. Both those toppers are so much better than what AIQ or TMNT are offering at more than double the price.

#2616 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

The fact that I can purchase a PlayStation 5, and an RTX 3080 graphics card for the price of that plastic topper, should tell you everything about how outrageous that price is.
Fuck off STERN.

Good comparison and does show what big time price gouging Stern is doing. Some say toppers are worth more down the road, but think that was when they were selling for $399. Now no one in their right mind will pay you more than a thousand for some flat plastic and LEDs down the road. Stern has killed that idea and made themselves look so bad with this very greedy decision. Would think AIQ topper will also be $1,000.00 for just LEDs and flat plastic. The Chinese who sold those parts to Stern for literally pennies must think we are crazy in the western world paying those sucker prices. As the saying goes: a sucker is born every minute, lol.

Really hoping Stern ends up sitting on a pile of these, with few buyers, sending a message to them, we won’t be “bam-boozeled” with their high price gouging any more.

#2741 3 years ago
Quoted from zeldarioid:

I’m new to Titan flipper rubbers, but I thought one of the selling points for them was durability. This is on the exposed upper flipper in my new AIQ, have only played it for one day, and this is already the state of the rubber.
Has anyone else seen this, or have any recommendations? Would standard rubber be better to take the beating that this flipper tip gets? Should this just be expected on this game? Is this an anomaly?
These are low bounce competition rubbers, for reference.
[quoted image]

Maybe keep low bounce Titan’s on the bottom only and regular Titan on the top? I’ve never used the low bounce and find the regular fine for ball control. Thin titan on the upper with balls hitting upper flipper tip directly is going to beat up the thin silicon too easily.

1 week later
#3104 3 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Still waiting for news on mine...last update was that boat should dock today (20th), after delays due to customs backlog. I haven't had an update to confirm anything yet though.
Maybe get it next week, hopefully...

Boat docked this last Monday, but because of the strike, our Avengers have all been held aboard the boat. Hopefully this coming Monday, they will finally clear and be taken off. Think we are the last ones on earth to get our Avengers. Everyone else has been enjoying them for a year it seems, lol.

1 week later
#3369 3 years ago

Hey club friends: must say after probably being some of the last people on earth to get their AIQLE’s, it is worth the long wait. Seems like I’ve been reading about all of you playing and having fun for a year or more, lol. Finally have mine up and playing today and all I can say is WOW! What a game!! First quick impressions:

* There are a great deal of exciting pinball moments programmed into AIQ.
* The rules are so fun and addicting. AIQ has that one more game feel.
* Light shows and sound fit what is happening and exhilarating, but wish there were more call outs in the game. (Sure there will be, since were still at .94)
* This is a shooters dream machine, with shots everywhere, giving time to react for nudging here and there.
* Having 5, count them 5 ramps with return wire forms, has the ball speeding everywhere it seems.
* Dr. Strange portal action is well implemented: just wish the viewing windows were not located so high up, as to not really see the ball unless leaning forward a bit, to see them go through.

Now back to playing...

#3394 3 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Ozzies - What number ranges are your LEs and did you get the correct backboard plastc with the large Thanos head?
Still waiting, waiting, waiting, for mine to clear customs...lucky last eh

Got the correct Thanos (large head) on my backboard.

#3403 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Can anyone comment on the install of Side Armor? I really want it, but I believe it involves screwing into the cabinet artwork. Is this the case? I dont want to do that....

Yes it involves making holes in cabinet artwork. However, I’ve done it with using the holes per normal and putting cabinet bumper feet on the underside to keep distance from lollipops. Then use cabinet hole inserts to fill unused holes. (See photo on my Bat66 rails) I used blue tack to keep button inserts in place. No holes were made in Bat66 artwork.

BD7212A6-155D-4BFC-BB6C-AA7292D5C3FB (resized).jpegBD7212A6-155D-4BFC-BB6C-AA7292D5C3FB (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#3641 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

How is this game? I am considering getting a Premium. My kids have been asking me to get one. Is this game a keeper? Thank you for the feedback in advance.

This game is an absolute keeper imo. Miles better than just about everything out there and if I only had a collection of one, this would be it. I like it better than my Jurassic Park, which is good too. With such a deep rule set, this will be fun for years to come.

Also, with the upcoming internet connectivity, my strong hunch is the AIQ trophy system is going to be a big part of online Stern play, which is already built into the game. This title is going to be one of the Stern’s internet launch titles, is my guess. You’ll love the game play; so much to shoot, with plenty of exciting pinball moments.

1 month later
#4711 3 years ago

Happy with the code update, but not happy with Stern’s draconian measures to make us accept their nonsensical agreement or stop playing the games we own and paid incredible amounts of money to own. Stern does not own our machines, we do. This is very bad PR on Stern’s part and is very infuriating to say the least. I get they want licensors to be happy, but they’ve crossed the line about making their customers happy.

Stern you can choose the licensor as your preferred customer, but not sure you’ll sell many machines to them. Lol

#4733 3 years ago

One of the best and most subtle software changes is (.98), now the software is raising the teeth in the subway right at the first and catching the ball to keep it hugging the top of the subway and it can actually be seen through the window advancing through to the Antman portal. That is very cool indeed! Prior software, allowed the ball to only stay at the bottom and was not seen unless you lean somewhat forward to see it, which negated the cool effect of seeing the ball advance through the Dr. Strange portal tunnel. Awesome what software can do to fix mechanical issues! Thanks software team!

#4828 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Had a couple of BUGS with the new code last night.
The other issue was more of a kick to the nads. I started Reality Gem, then Thor Multiball. I kept it going for a good while and won the gem. Avengers Assembled just as the second ball drained. So now I've got collect gem lit with Soul Gem pending. Hawkeye challenge was also lit, and I nailed the tower shot. The tower caught the ball and the lights went out...the LCD froze and then the game rebooted.
Just an FYI is anyone experiences something similar.

Had this exact same thing happen to me, where I was having a great ball, Reality Gem, then Thor Multiball and soon as finished, game froze, lights went out and game rebooted! Wow, was having a great game trying to get to battle Thanos and then poof, game gone. (Did Thanos snap his fingers? Lol)

2 weeks later
#5251 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I was complaining about cheap drains for a few reasons: 1) For players that are not me (i.e. my kids, wife, etc.) cheap drains make the game not fun. It's the least played game out of my 10 machines and also the newest. When I ask why I'm told "it's not exciting and I lose the ball easily". So that part of my complaint was for casual players. 2) The cheap outlanes created an enormous amount of randomness. I can play Deadpool, IMDN, or MM and consistently reach the late parts of the game 9 out of 10 times. With Avengers, I'll put up a 10 million, than a billion, than 25 million, than 300 million - because the outlanes created all sorts of randomness - finding consistent play was incredibly difficult.
But after adjusting the pitch, it's not the drain monster it used to be and my play is now consistent. My prior comments about the sound, Thanos Attacks BS, and lack of stuff to do besides gem modes still apply, but the outlanes, thankfully can be fixed with a sharper pitch.

What is your pitch angle?

2 weeks later
#5775 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I changed my slings power to 11.

Crank sling power settings to 30 and it solves the very frustrating cheap drain issues. At greater power when the ball hits the slings, they bounce higher than the outlane entrances and keeps the ball in play. Factory power is set at 25 which is just right for the balls to have the cheap drain ricochets to the outlanes. So frustrating! Tried lower settings and all that does is ricochet the ball straight from the slings more slowly arching right into the outlane drains. Sling power set at 30 and now no cheap drains. Problem solved and AIQ now shoots like a dream machine!

#5850 3 years ago
Quoted from Kjarkur:

Just put Slingshot power to 30 and can confirm that it helps against the drains

Glad my discovery worked for you. In fact, it will work for anyone, because the slingshot geometry is setup that way to work on the power of 30. Above or below that number doesn’t seem to work. Now if we can figure out the SDTM geometry, our drain woes will be over, lol.

#5927 3 years ago

Had ordered Siamese posts from Marco and they just arrived. During my order delivery time, I had figured out how to better negate the hungry outlane drains, by raising sling power to 30 instead of 25, which did help. Since I had already purchased the Siamese posts, I decided to see how they work and wow, even better. Only bad shots drain now and no cheap sling drains at all now. Game has gone from frustrating to bliss. There is still plenty of room for drains even with the Siamese posts installed. KE really left the outlanes very wide, even with Siamese posts. They are now about where my other games outlane openings are at, with 3rd adjustment holes, which AIQ doesn’t have. Game is so much more fun now!

Order link if interested: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-17492C

F528B899-6345-4037-8C55-609B6F8F17FA (resized).jpegF528B899-6345-4037-8C55-609B6F8F17FA (resized).jpeg

#5951 3 years ago
Quoted from Ryancaseystudio:

This is a great call. What size rubber did you use?

I stretched 3/8” rings on the Siamese post, but going to purchase 7/16” rings, which will more accurately fit without stretching so much.

Honestly these posts make AIQ play brilliantly now, at least for average players like myself. I’m not in Keith or Raymond’s league as a player. I tried Star posts, but they didn’t even dent the problematic outlane drain issues. Plain and simply should have had a third adjustment hole like all other machines have imo. However as I mentioned earlier, the Siamese posts actually hang down to a third position if you mount them on the upper of the 2 holes in the post. (See photos below). These posts still won’t stop bad shots draining, but stop the incessant “cheap drains” from the slings that are so infuriating, to the point little progress can be made on the game. Now other members of my family will play AIQ and enjoy it, instead of just leaving it alone and playing all our other machines.

AIQ is a masterful layout and one of the best ever imo.

0A8AAAB4-9E25-4D6B-9D54-CB85729BB6B4 (resized).jpeg0A8AAAB4-9E25-4D6B-9D54-CB85729BB6B4 (resized).jpeg6D358948-3EA2-466F-9B78-8A564F786892 (resized).jpeg6D358948-3EA2-466F-9B78-8A564F786892 (resized).jpeg

#5960 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

While I like the idea, with only one screw holding this double post this could cause playfield wear issues. The lower area without the screw will (sooner or later) move with ball impacts. This would really be noticeable with the double post at an angle as in your second pic.

True, however I’ve got the posts on top of rubber washers. They’re actually elevated off the surface of the playfield, so no wear will happen.

#5974 3 years ago
Quoted from Ryancaseystudio:

I have the same worry about the PF wear having only one screw, but I also have a silicone washer from my star post that I’m going to place under my Siamese post to see if that will make a difference. I’ll risk a little to reduce my drains by 5-10%. 20-25% on each side drain is too much. Hoping for this to get it down to 15% each.

Updated my Siamese posts again to ensure no movement from the ball hitting the post without a screw in the bottom hole. Installed a cupboard bumper on each side to wedge in between the Siamese posts. Definitely no movement at all even with ball hitting at full force.

Again, these posts add such enjoyment back into the game for us average players. Bad shots are still punished with outlane drains, but cheap sling shots flung at high speed to the drains no longer happen. AIQs brilliant layout can now be enjoyed by all our family and friends, not just the high pro pinball players like Keith and Raymond.

The distance between both outlane side posts after installing the Siamese posts, is the same as my other games that all have a third hole drilled in the PF from the factory.

1739CA51-6687-43EA-A443-343B0046457E (resized).jpeg1739CA51-6687-43EA-A443-343B0046457E (resized).jpegA5F27F7A-0DA4-4B67-B85B-D680373F0437 (resized).jpegA5F27F7A-0DA4-4B67-B85B-D680373F0437 (resized).jpeg
#5998 3 years ago
Quoted from BaxterStockman:

Do you have mylar under the ball drop lanes?

Yes

1 month later
#6583 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You don't need the gems to get to the endgame, just battle for them and just collect the Avengers three times. Winning gems gives you perks that you can use for higher scores and help complete modes, but for now, just worry about shooting Avengers for the three collects and wizard modes (soul gem, black order, battle royale). After all the gems have been fought over (whether you won or not), you get to battle Thanos for endgame.

Did not realize this, so thanks! Will go for this as I’ve never made it to battling Thanos, thinking I had to get all the gems. This simple strategy should make it even more fun, along with the Siamese posts I purchased from Marcos. Cheap 10 second side drains after ball launch gone, but now only get after legitimately poor shot side drains like I should, not just because of crazy sling action straight to side drains. Game is soooo much more enjoyable. No cheating at all. Puts the side drain post down to the third hole position all other Sterns have. Side drain holes are still plenty open to punish bad shots. Family enjoys playing it now, where before just too frustrating to play.

Note there are clear plastic cupboard stops on side of Siamese post to maintain position, since a second screw is not used. That way there is no sliding of posts.
82265260-7D3C-49AF-858C-1D2B8BE6B4E7 (resized).jpeg82265260-7D3C-49AF-858C-1D2B8BE6B4E7 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#6847 2 years ago

Think the Thanos attack really adds to game immersion. If Thanos takes a gem, it does not stop progression, as it only removes the gem perk and that’s it, so it is not like being punished, rather it is the spoils of a battle either won or lost. Gems can be quickly added back using a Hawkeye completed shot reward. One Hawkeye award and you get the gem back, it’s that easy to get back after losing a gem to Thanos. So this is not frustrating, rather an exciting win/lose fight with Thanos. Until I understood this, it seemed frustrating, but no longer. Really like the fight strategy of this game. If Thanos could not win a gem back, it would not be a fight, nor would it follow the Thanos story line.

Believe if people were to understand how AIQ fighting strategy works, they’d no longer be frustrated and enjoy the game as a Avengers/Thanos/Black Order fighting game. It is very unique for pinball and follows the comics/movie closely this way. After all, we are avenging the Thanos snap.

#6860 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Very well put!
The addition of Thanos Attacks (and Battle Thanos) is what convinced me to finally pull the trigger and buy my AIQ. To me it elevated the overall gameplay experience and especially the theme integration. It's a great objective to aim for, even if you have a terrible first ball. I love games that make me wanna play out my game and not just restart when I mess up.
Lost the Mind Gem on ball 1, but really want those Mind BOOMS? Fight Thanos and take that fucker back! The way the code rewards you for NOT losing a gem is also a great touch. I do understand that it sucks losing a gem to Thanos in the mode, but at least the 4 shots you need for the mode are relatively make-able or safe(ish): Widow Ramp, Gauntlet Ramp, Hulk Orbit, Black Panther Orbit.

Thanks for that, as I always learn much from your posts!

4 weeks later
#7124 2 years ago

Excited to see what’s in store for our AIQs once Stern online happens, since Kieth already hinted trophies will really come into play then. Should be fun and a fully untapped feature on AIQ.

#7206 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Not quite true that you always have to hit the sanctum Kev.
There are 4 lights lit at the start of Mind gem, Hulk, Black Widow, Captain Marvel and Black Panther. One of them will be blinking a little faster, and indicates they are under mind control.
If you hit any shot you can then spin the disc to free them. The more shots you hit before spinning the disc the more points it's worth.
Repeat this 3 times.
If you have hit the blinking shot in all 3 stages you don't have to hit the sanctum target. If you have missed the blinking light, even just once, you need the sanctum target.
If I'm in single ball play I'll focus on making the blinking shot before spinning the disc, so I don't have to hit the sanctum. In MB I just want to spin the disc asap so I can then keep shooting for the sanctum.

To make sure I understand: you mean while trying to collect the mind gem, during battling for the mind gem?

1 week later
#7295 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Both the sound and call outs really are that bad, but the layout and rules are more than enough to make up for them. If someone else doesn't do it first, I'll be putting clips from the cartoon that this was inspired by (Avengers Assemble i think it was called?) and callouts from the MCU, custom music etc. Waiting on the code to be finished now

As soon as you do call outs and clips of the fantastic Avengers Assemble anime, I’m in, so please notify me! That would make a great game even greater. I’m not really a fan of all the negative tones constantly coming from Thanos. Yes I know he’s a bad guy already, but can’t we do them more in the vein of Avengers Assemble Thanos second season? They are so much better than the ghastly Thanos ones in our game. Getting sick and tired of the same 3 Thanos call outs. We already know Thanos is evil, but do we have to constantly be bombarded with the same 3 call outs being told over and over that Thanos represents death is too over the top for young children and tiring for us adults? Doing a JP movie treatment using Avengers Assemble second season, that can be found on Disney Plus would push AIQ over the top as one of the best games ever imo. And using Thanos call outs from Avengers Assemble would be sooooo much better than what team Stern has picked. Why not include the other avengers in the call outs and reduce Thanos to 1 or 2 at most call outs only, when we are actually battling him and not during other modes, that he is not present. Call outs need big time work Keith, please.

#7354 2 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

What is “captive ball” (5th shot in soul gem quest). I keep getting to it but nothing is lit green. Thx

It is the Thor shot and it doesn’t light green, it lights white only, but blinks to let you know its next to be hit during soul gem mode.

#7365 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

I have a premium and have searched but can't find the exact answer.
When battling for Soul Gem. Do you have make the Captain Marvel shot twice for it to register?
On different Soul gem attempts I've hit that shot when it was lit and it stayed lit.

Only need to hit it once. Check Opto to see if aligned correctly.

#7390 2 years ago

Is there a list or has anyone put together a list on how to capture the quickest way gems?

Example: space gem - hit orbits 3 times, then bw for final blow
Time gem - hit bw ramp gauntlet ramp, then drops 3 times

What are the rest?

#7393 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Power Gem: Shoot 3 flashing red shots and 1 of any red shot (not Hulk orbit shots) > final blow at Hulk Orbit shot
OR
Shoot 7 of any red shot (not hulk orbit shots) > final blow at Hulk Orbit shot.

Thanks Shaub! You always have the rules down better than most.
So would you make any changes to making this list any clearer to getting gems the fastest route possible?

Fastest ways to acquire Gem Strategies:

SPACE GEM - hit orbits 3 times, then bw for final blow

TIME GEM - hit bw ramp gauntlet ramp, then drops 3 times

MIND GEM: 1 blue shot > spin disc, repeat 4 times total then hit Sanctum target
OR
quick flashing blue shot > spin disc, repeat 4 times total

REALITY GEM: Shoot 8 yellow shots

POWER GEM: Shoot 3 flashing red shots and 1 of any red shot (not Hulk orbit shots) > final blow at Hulk Orbit shot
OR

#7397 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

A few minor additions for clarity...
SPACE GEM - hit orbits 3 times (Black Panther has to be hit before Hulk), then bw for final blow
TIME GEM - hit bw ramp gauntlet ramp, then drops 3 times (Have to hit flashing drop target)
REALITY GEM: (Spin Strange Disk first) Shoot 8 yellow shots

Big thanks to you and Shaub! If anyone else has anything clarity to add, please chime in. This is nice, otherwise, it is somewhat confusing to just hit flashing lights as they mean jackpots and such too. Please make any corrections to below, if anyone sees them.

Time Gem question: Hit flashing drop each of the 3 times or just at the end of the 3 sequences? On flashing drops is it just one flashing drop, two or three, after hitting bw ramp, gauntlet?

Gem Strategies:

SPACE GEM - hit orbits 3 times (Black Panther has to be hit before Hulk), then bw for final blow

TIME GEM - hit bw ramp gauntlet ramp, then drops 3 times (Have to hit flashing drop target)

OR

POWER GEM: Shoot 3 flashing red shots and 1 of any red shot (not Hulk orbit shots) > final blow at Hulk Orbit shot
OR

#7403 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Full rulesheets available on Stern website (may not be fully updated for latest code release) and on Tilt Forums.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/AIQ-Rule-Sheet.pdf
http://tiltforums.com/t/avengers-infinity-quest-rulesheet/6740

Yes, know about the rules sheet, but no where on there is rules for fastest way to capture gems, which this list is all about. Thanks to everyone’s help. Unless any better wording is made known by any of you in the club. This is the final copy. Sure helps me and hope it helps you too.

Gem Strategies:

SOUL GEM - Follow the green targets... Black Panther, Black Widow, Gauntlet, Hulk, Thor (white light), Drop Targets, CM ramp, Stark tower.

SPACE GEM - Right Orbit or Hawkeye loop then Left Orbit, 3 times then Final Blow at Black Widow ramp or Black Panther.

OR

OR

#7405 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

That sums it up nicely. It kinda makes the Gem Quests seem simple or easy but for the most part I feel like the quests are well thought out and challenging, not just "shoot the lit shots!" Obviously the shots ARE lit, but (to me) they feel like you're doing or accomplishing something. Damn I love the code on this game.

Fully agree and again big thanks to you always knowing the rule sets and helping us get more familiar with them. Until this list was put together, it felt like it took forever at times to complete a gem, with all the jackpot and lesser scoring lights lit too, wasn’t sure what actually ended the quest. But all that intricate coding makes for a longtime fun game, which we can all enjoy in our homes over the long haul. That is what I think makes some of the best games, when the code keeps things interesting with different approaches and things to accomplish on the same game. Think TMNT is also that kind of game, as well as Batman.

2 weeks later
#7533 2 years ago

Avengers is perfect for HUO, because the rule set is deep and keeps things interesting. I coach newbies when they come over and they love the game, because they know what they’re doing with a little coaching. Like one said, there are shots almost everywhere, so once you flip, you’ll most likely hit one. None of the noobs shooting my game come away frustrated, rather, always wanting to play more. I made out a flip chart, that explains how to get each gem in real simple terms and they just look at that and start collecting. Without that understanding, they didn’t collect any, because it takes time without a chart to understand how simple it actually is to get gems. Example: shoot right then left orbit 3 times to collect with final blow at widow center ramp for Space Gem. Super simple and then they are collecting having a great time, always wanting to hit the start button one more time. The chart I use is the one Shaub and another helped me make. AIQ is a masterpiece of a pinball machine.

#7540 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Can you post the file somewhere? Sounds like it could be a cool resource for when people come over.

Sure here is the chart and thanks to everyone that contributed to my making it! Let me know of any corrections needed and I’ll change the chart. The information to the left in the green is just strategy details some of you have provided. I tell guests to ignore that and just focus on the simple gem collecting to the right.

(UPDATE: So no confusion, changed this chart to the new corrected quickest way to collect gems chart)

9F64E9C2-535A-4AC5-AE2C-2FE8B5E58931.jpeg9F64E9C2-535A-4AC5-AE2C-2FE8B5E58931.jpeg
#7552 2 years ago
Quoted from AllenLeper:

Hey Thunderbird! Cool chart!
Theres a couple of errors I wanted to help clear up. The Mind Gem mode is only THREE rounds of "shot then disc".
Also, Power Gem is a little bit more complex rule-wise than is explained. Each of the 3 shots (that arent the Hulk shot) do damage to the Black Order Enemy. The two "outside" shots (glancing blow) do 15% damage while the "center" shot (critical hit) deals 30%, which means that the amount of shots required to complete the mode changes depending on how many critical hits you get. It is possible to finish the mode in 4-5 shots. Or 2 if you use the Mind Gem correctly
I made a post about 8 posts up ^^^ about a Twitch tutorial stream that Im doing this upcoming Wed, where I will explain essentially everything about the game, from basic rules all the way up to my own very advanced strategies. Everyones welcome to come by, pick up a bunch of knowledge and strats, and ask as many questions as theyd like. Ill answer everything!
Hope to see you there!

So you are saying that Mind Gem should be written like this?

MIND GEM BLUE: 1 blue shot > spin disc, repeat 3 times total then hit Sanctum target OR
quick flashing blue shot > spin disc, repeat 3 times total.

How would wording change for Power Gem on the chart?

POWER GEM RED: Shoot 3 flashing red shots & 1 of any red shot (not Hulk orbit shots) > final blow at Hulk Orbit shot OR Shoot 7 of any red shot (not hulk orbit shots) > final blow at Hulk Orbit shot.

#7555 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I can see people not liking the callouts/voice actors for this game but find nothing wrong with the music or video.

Interesting that some find the call outs/voice actors not to their liking since these voice actors are the very Marvel Avengers Assemble actors that did the show series for 8 or 10 seasons. On the other hand, I’d like to have music and video from the Avengers Assemble show, which was well done and where all the artwork came for the LCD on AIQ. AIQ is taken from season 2 of Avengers Assemble show series. If anyone would take that show material and music and put it in our game, it would put it over the top, just as it has done for JP. Let me know if anyone does that.

#7557 2 years ago
Quoted from AllenLeper:

Mind Gem is perfect!
For Power Gem, I think the easiest way to explain it would be to say:
"Shoot 3-7 Non-Hulk-Orbit shots before final blow at Hulk Orbit. Fast blinking shot does 30% damage (critical hit), slower blinking shots do 15% damage (glancing blow)".
Hope this helps!

Yes thanks, just preparing changes now. What would you change in the green more detailed area on the left of the chart?

#7559 2 years ago

Okay Club gang, here are the final drafts, unless anyone else finds an error. Thanks to everyone for your help and especially Shaub for all your suggestions and ideas in making this chart. This is page 1.

FA1ED839-F7E9-4669-A075-B299FED3F361.jpegFA1ED839-F7E9-4669-A075-B299FED3F361.jpeg
#7560 2 years ago

Here is the backside of the chart. I redid and updated this from what someone else has done (their gem perk chart was very hard to read and wordier). I’d give them credit, but I don’t know who did it. It is an explanation of what each gem does. If there are any errors, please let me know and I’ll update this 2nd page too. Sure helps making this game a whole lot easier to understand for newbies and advanced players alike. Great reference for strategies. Enjoy by printing on the back side of the quickest way to collect gems chart. It’s what I’ve done. I’ve posted high res copies here for those that want to print them both out. Even other family members that were not interested in AIQ are interested now, with the charts. Making it much easier to grasp.
9CB41407-73AD-48F8-8FB3-2413A6024EDB (resized).jpeg9CB41407-73AD-48F8-8FB3-2413A6024EDB (resized).jpeg

#7563 2 years ago
Quoted from AllenLeper:

Hey Everyone!
I just wanted to let you all know that Im going to be doing a super comprehensive AIQ tutorial next Wed over on Owlnonymous' Twitch stream. You can find all the info about it on this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aiq-for-dummies-complete-tutorial-stream-and-ama#post-6388713
This will be a TON more than just learning the basics of the game. We'll be learning beginner, intermediate, and advanced mode/gem/game strats, as well as a bunch of shortcut strats that I've come up with to get you all the gems and the 1 Billion point Thanos bonus, and a bunch of other info! If youre interested, please check out the thread, and if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.
Thanks for reading.
Avengers Pin Owners Assemble!
[quoted image]

Hey gang, you’re going to want to show up to Allen’s streaming of AIQ strategies. I’ve been chatting with him and seen some of his work and it’s awesome! Gem placing strategy charts alone are worth the visit next Wednesday! He’s really put together some fun charts to make our game even more fun and understandable! See you all there and thanks to Allen for putting this on for us.

#7598 2 years ago
Quoted from AllenLeper:

The AIQ tutorial is tonight! For anyone who'd like to stop by, but didnt see the original post. Hope to see you there and help you to beat Thanos![quoted image]

Nice presentation Allen. What are the links to see it in full, as I missed part of it?

1 week later
#7689 2 years ago

Can tell you all from already installing this mod, it’s amazing to say the least. 1956pinhead put a great deal of work into this to make our games better. It really enhances game play.

#7702 2 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Glad you like it!

Awesome mod 1956pinhead! Really has changed my enthusiasm for an already great game. Here’s what it looks like on my machine:

6EB4A61D-608C-4901-A2A3-4090275D64BA (resized).jpeg6EB4A61D-608C-4901-A2A3-4090275D64BA (resized).jpeg

E3B2A901-4927-4D27-8D06-E4C4A73FC0FD (resized).jpegE3B2A901-4927-4D27-8D06-E4C4A73FC0FD (resized).jpeg826467E3-354C-4C56-9288-867B0C7BAD8A (resized).jpeg826467E3-354C-4C56-9288-867B0C7BAD8A (resized).jpeg22E23A5D-3D24-41F0-9605-105EE0F6246F (resized).jpeg22E23A5D-3D24-41F0-9605-105EE0F6246F (resized).jpeg
#7704 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Yep. Love it. I’m in. Better than many of the amateur 3D print mods with their strata lines all over it.

Agreed, this is a high quality piece that really compliments 5 metal ramps and brings Dr. Strange disc up to the same lux level as everything else on my AIQLE game. Plays sooooo much better than the black plastic. Here is what it looks like in all metal, since I don’t have the decal yet.
3D3FE112-AA86-44DB-B1DE-D504D79B0322 (resized).jpeg3D3FE112-AA86-44DB-B1DE-D504D79B0322 (resized).jpeg

But all the metal looks good too!

48E5C40A-2C13-463D-94BD-8A895460D5BF (resized).jpeg48E5C40A-2C13-463D-94BD-8A895460D5BF (resized).jpeg

#7724 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Do you think it would be worth while to make it slightly smaller and put a TPU or rubber band around it? TPU could be optimal since it really doesn’t bounce the ball. That is assuming the dents and dings get annoying over time.

In my case, there are no dents and dings so far and it has taken direct hits numerous times. Maybe I not hitting it hard enough, lol.

#7762 2 years ago
Quoted from broada:

I should have probably noticed this sooner, but is the star rollover at the top of the playfield supposed to be illuminated? I noticed in testing the lighting last night that this one didn’t light up.
Thanks!

Yes, it does illuminate.

2 weeks later
#7889 2 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Posting an update as promissed from a couple weeks ago on the status of the Dr. Strange Disc upgrade mod. The production version of the Disc Mod Kit are now in stock and shipping. For those of you who placed there orders a few weeks back and as recent as today a big thank you!
For those who may have missed it go to post #7682, then read on a bit. Here are some photos of the production version, it's a Real Looker and Spinner for sure
Interested AIQ owners can check out my Pinside Market Shop, or search for Precision Pinball Products, you'll find more info there.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This new one looks stunning and I can’t wait to install it on my machine. The one I currently have is a prototype, but 1956Pinhead has really improved it in a major way. Now this is a mod worth installing and is literally a game changer of fun! Just love the all metal mod. Really upgrades our AIQ masterpieces, like no other mod does.

#7890 2 years ago

What my prototype looks like installed:

5F204CAC-CF66-4C82-90FC-F2C10BB84826 (resized).jpeg5F204CAC-CF66-4C82-90FC-F2C10BB84826 (resized).jpeg8170D05B-72A0-41ED-9091-89535B476093 (resized).jpeg8170D05B-72A0-41ED-9091-89535B476093 (resized).jpegD9B5C7A7-5578-4842-97CE-86D2A19BE97A (resized).jpegD9B5C7A7-5578-4842-97CE-86D2A19BE97A (resized).jpeg
#7904 2 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

hiker2099
Beleive it or not this Disc Mod is within a few grams of the original plastic and metal disc assembly. Some may not know that there is a steel disc insert on the factory installed disc that adds a lot of weight. The lifting mechanism has no issues lifting this all aluminum disc. I've logged over 650 games now with a combination of multiple test disc's and have had zero issues. Thunderbird has also been testing this mod along with me and he's had no issues as well.
It spins truer, and has a better static balance which in turn should reduce the wear on the bronze bushings that the shaft runs through. It will fit all versions of the game.

Will attest that with all my game play using the 1956Pinhead mod, it spins truer and fits better on the shaft, than original part. Have taken it apart to look and zero wear or issues.

1 week later
#8019 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Played a premium yesterday. I also already played the pro on Friday. I may be crazy, but I preferred the pro. Seemed to really flow better. The Strange spinner rising to lock balls was nothing that great to my daughter and me. Love the premium artwork over the pro. LE yellow wasn’t bad.
The extra loop de loop was not bad, but seems to clutter the playfield more for us. We were playing inside a brewery though in Arizona and there was no AC of course in there. Just some swamp coolers.
It was just really warm in there. So that may have something to do with why didn’t enjoy it as much. Those who played both, what do you think?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Played both and think you can’t go wrong with either. AIQ is a master piece layout of a pinball game. Incredible depth for software, but simple to have fun for those that don’t care about rules and longevity in an HUO environment. While I enjoy playing the pro; because most of the rules are there, AIQ premium has so much more, if economy is not the issue, go for all the extras. If you ever sell in the future, there shouldn’t be any issue getting your money back. Think AIQ is only going to gain in popularity as people discover its genius.

1 week later
#8142 2 years ago
Quoted from onyxx:

Help a brother out on a buy or not to buy question. Based purely on videos I love the layout, art and shots of this game but find the rules complex and kind of hard to understand (in gameplay videos). I have no possibility to play before I buy as there isn't one available in my vicinity. I'm not a skilled player and neither are my family members and based on what I have read/heard this game can be challenging. For reference, out of the newer games we love JP and Deadpool but found TMNT to be a frustrating and hard shooter. Based on the reputation of AIQ being kind of a frustrating or hard pin I have been holding back on purchasing this for a year. Do you consider this a tougher shooter than TMNT or are people referring to the rules complexity when AIQ it's called challenging? You as owners, do you see visitors or family with poor to medium skills enjoy this pin or does it more often frustrate these players?
Based on this, could AIQ Premium be a game for me or is it a game for skilled players?

Think this is a game for everyone in the HUO environment. Plenty to shoot and enjoy for novice and much easier shooter than JP. Owning them both, know how much more challenging shooter wise JP is and the rules of JP, although good are somewhat monotonous compared to AIQ. The depth is there for the long haul however on AIQ. Once rules are understood, it is quite easy. Joe Kamikow a designer himself said, it is the best shooter in all of pinball in his opinion, ever. I would have to agree and the theme is good, but not my first choice. If not for the stellar layout and rules, I’d not be into AIQ most likely.

#8144 2 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

You can check out the Dr. Strange Disc mod on my Pinside market Place, just do a search for Precision Pinball Products in the market place shops. This mod is a great upgrade from the factory set up, feedback from those who have purchased and installed it really like it. It replaces the plastic disc with an all metal disc which improves both the appearance and game play.[quoted image]

I just installed the thrust bearings under my all metal Dr Strange Disc from 1956Pinhead and its a game changer for sure. It makes all the difference in the game, since the Dr. Strange disc is really the center piece of the game. Love how when contact is made, it keeps spinning instead of a thud and just a little spin after being hit. I’ve had my machine for some time and spinning revolutions were not that great. But even from the beginning it has not rotated to my liking, till 1956Pinheads mod. This mod has given me new enthusiasm for AIQ, because it not only looks better, but has made game play for the whole family at all skill levels so much better. We all know the Dr Strange disc is the most important shot in the whole game.

1 week later
#8234 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Thanks! I guess I’ve gotten used to the shaker and sub, but definitely comes across very intense in video! My Deadpool with same settings, not as much.
I like the looks and function of your disc mod and as a manufacturer myself, I can appreciate the precision and quality! I’ve never had any disc issues yet, but am definitely considering adding it.

Good job! You’re the only person I’ve ever seen that is able to hit the CM ramp almost at will. Your CM ramp must really be tuned up and your accuracy really shows as well. On mine, even though I have the shot down on the flipper postion, I get too many rejects and then when flipper fade happens, forget it, almost impossible to get it up and over the CM ramp. Do you have a lexan piece installed on the left side gap?

#8305 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Did you get the disc only or did you order the bearing carrier also? Thanks

Bearing carrier takes it to the next level and makes all the difference in my experience.

#8354 2 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

With less friction the disc will come to rest at the 6 o'clock position most of the time, but there are occasions it won't. If you have a shaker it will most likely end up there. As Sleal16 mentioned I use the upper flipper to both spin the heck out of the disc, and also hit the sanctum target off the post or to clear it. Adds a different way to attack the shot, but over time it's now just part of how I make the shot work, and I also think I've had less SDTM drains off that target as a result. Your results may vary

Agreed, this is how I always attack the spinner and sanctum target: from the upper left flipper. Much safer shot than from lower flippers. No STDM troubles no matter where the disc post is located. Put upper left flipper to its full use and work the disc from a distance where no one misses.

Really enthused how the mod eliminates the stock spinner “thud”, by hitting it straight on, where original spinner didn’t actually move at times.

1 week later
#8464 2 years ago

Would love Stern to remaster the sound on AIQ, but I no longer have the noise issues by using the following direct Spike 2 connections, instead of using the stock in-line sound connection. But agree the cracking noises etc shouldn’t be there on the regular inline system using CN1 & CN4. Stern should remaster the sound so you don’t have to use CN5 for a direct connection.

But just added new wiring harness from Pinsound directly connected to my Spike 2 board and must say, the sound has come alive to the next level. So much better than when the sound went inline through CN1 & CN4 regular connection. Which sounded muddy and muffled somewhat by comparison to a Spike 2 direct CN5 board 7 pin connection splitting the back box speakers and the subwoofer directly amplified through separate amplifiers. Now that AIQ sound track is quite good! dinot gave me the idea. Cracking noises etc now gone.

This is a photo of the same setup on my Batman, which I did exactly the same on AIQ. You can see the wiring harness coming off Spike 2 direct connection CN5. I was going to make the wiring harness myself, but then learned Pinsound already makes them, so ordered a set for every machine and wow, the sound is amazing now! Can hear sounds not really distinguishable before.

150A67AD-8E44-4067-A161-F3A6FE6625F4 (resized).jpeg150A67AD-8E44-4067-A161-F3A6FE6625F4 (resized).jpeg

#8485 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

So going stock speakers/woofer I'm guessing you need more than just the harness, right? The harness looks to take in the aux connection and converts it into the pin header. If the current setup has it going wired straight into CN1/CN4, then I need to change that pin header into an aux in order to use the harness. In your batman photo you have an amp, so think thats doing the work there on the conversion. Like...I might just leave as is till I get a bigger fix, as the issue with the headphones on its header is the same as the cn1/4 connection.

The harness has two output 3.5mm female connections. One for back box speakers and one for the Subwoofer. You may plug into the harness any amp you wish. There’s a good option $89 amp on Amazon.

Spike 2 direct sound connection is worth the effort, because the sound upgrade is so much audibly better it’s not even close. My TMNT has a range of sounds that came alive with the direct connection. Batman’s flat mono track, made a 180 sound wise. AIQ leaps over the regular connection. Unfortunate that Stern provides, but does not use the CN5 connection they put on the board.

#8492 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Thunderbird it looks like you are running a new amp and not just the cable, right? What amp are you using to power the speakers now?
I'm sure Stern is using the same preamp line out signal from C5 as they are for their own amplifiers, including headphone. This would imply the Stern amp is creating the poor sound quality.
Upgrading to a Pinsound plus on my Twilight Zone was a huge upgrade. I haven't looked into something similar for Spike 2 Sterns yet. I have upgraded speakers and external sub on all my pins as well. The sound quality on my AIQ and Deadpool isn't bad actually...

My understanding is Stern is not using the same line out from Spike 2 meaning CN5. It is a completely different location on the board and exits audio in its purest form by passing Stern cheap amp. Stern is using a different output entirely CN1 & CN4, which are not direct sound connections and goes through their amp. I was using the same amp prior the harness from CN1 & CN4 and the sound was not as clear, even muddy and murky by comparison, even with the amp installed inline.

You’re right, Stern’s weak amp is causing issues in poor quality sound it appears, along with their cheap speakers. LE back box speakers are adequate, but the woofer is still subpar. I always put in a new woofer. I don’t do this to make the volume louder, rather to give greater sound fidelity at lower volumes. I purchased an amp in the photo, but they’re quite pricy, compared to buying this one from Amazon. I also made some amps like you see in the photo, that I ordered from Alibaba for $10 a piece, one for upper speakers and one for lower.

Also ordered this one from Amazon, which is actually better. For only $79, that does both upper and lower speakers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#8501 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Yup, tried a quick amp and made a rough harness to connect CN5 connection to it along with the speakers.....its gave the speakers more oomph and that was neat and all, but it made the slight crackle more evident in some of those pitches. So yeah looks to be more embedded into either the files or the processing and I'll just leave it alone from there. I'm just nitpicky, but can rest better knowing it looks to be out of what I can fiddle with it for now.

That’s strange, because when I did it, it took it away completely. Wonder if you got the pin order connections correctly? That tiny wire is hard to affix into the tiny 7 pin molex connector correctly. That’s why I just ordered it from Pinsound, instead of doing it myself.

1 week later
#8615 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

continuously try and send balls into the drop targets, especially during MB, you WILL get valuable awards from it, sort of like a mystery award feature in a way.

This is a simple but good tip and something I didn’t think of, but really has helped since you mentioned it. Thanks!

#8634 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Working that Bonus!
23X

Now how did you get it to 23X?

1 week later
#8710 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Love this game! Stringing combos is so much FUN!
Stringing combos to start the game - on my way to defeating Thanos with all 6 gems, Computer Frenzy, Trophy Mania and 4.4 Billion! Won Battle Royale and Black Order Multiball. My second highest score to date.
[quoted image]

Congrats! Amazing score and to think, I am just happy recently/finally making it to Battle Thanos a couple of times! Still working on all your strategies. Think I need some lessons from you. Lol

1 week later
#8781 2 years ago
Quoted from KadeP:

Having an issue where the Avengers tower magnet doesnt release the ball most times without a gentle nudge. Thoughts?

Have the balls been magnetized? Gentle nudge might indicate that even though the magnet releases, magnetized balls will stay near the magnet, until nudging it out enough to separate it from the magnet at the top of the tower. Try a new ball and see if it still holds.

#8846 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:Unreliable feed from the tower? It took me a while to get the timing down on that shot. I had to make it a priority to work on it.
A lot of the time I'll flip the flipper while the countdown alarm is going - trying to time after each beep the same as timing when it drops the ball. This may help you get the timing better.
Need it for Black Order Multiball to get the first Jackpot, plus all of the other Hawkeye Challenge benefits.

Same issue here, so will try this idea. Could help with timing, as I’ve already been counting down and determined 2nd one is approximately 8 sec to drop and 3rd is five, but still don’t get flipper timed well enough to hit consistently. Lol

#8853 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

This shows the Hawkeye timing I do sometimes.
Didn't make a full loop this time, but it worked out just fine!

Thanks, that video helps!

1 month later
#9003 2 years ago
Quoted from AiriusTorpora:

Does Thanos Claus only bring a random half of your presents?

Good one, lol.

1 week later
#9030 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Today.. after I bricked my new UM, added a bunch of mods to my Mando pro, and finished up the new shooter rod and voodoo glass on my wife's STh, I decided to give my AIQ some love. I wanted this damn pin so bad after I originally saw it.. finally had a chance at a really nice used premium and pulled the trigger. $550 in mods later (not including the $200 the prior owner added) and it's gorgeous.. and I can't stand it. No.. really.. this pin aggravates the hell out of me. I collect a single gem about once ever 15 games. I have no idea wtf is wrong with me or this pin. Sdtm, brutal side drains, low scores... I got a 6 ball multiball and have no clue what I did. I lowered the slings some to settle the pin playing by itself.. it just bounces the balls side to side until, well, it drains. I have it on the trade block and really want to love it, but no amount of leveling or adjustments makes it playable. All 4 of my other pins are pretty friendly. AIQ just kicks me and my family square in the... I really hate to let it go, but it's just not fun.

Turned my slingshot power to 28 or 30 and it fixed the outlane drain issue pretty well. Ball now bounces out of the danger zones and plays normal, when I shoot a missed shot.

#9041 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

AIQ no doubt can be brutal!
I kind of look at Reality Gem the opposite way... it is one of the easier gems to collect, but you can score a lot in the mode. If I have 2 balls locked, I love to pair Reality Gem quest with Iron Man multiball. Odds are good you will complete the gem quest just trying to complete the mutliball (spin the disk to increase Reality Gem multiplier) and go into "Victory Laps" (keep spinning the disc!)... scoring even more points!
Some people like to "intentionally" lose a gem to Thanos Attacks... this would be the gem I recommend if you are going to use that strategy since you can get big points a second time... if all goes well!
Since I have AIQ Premium, I almost exclusively try to put the Reality gem on Captain Marvel and try to boost up to 10X!

Love your tips and tricks. Please post them from time to time.

#9042 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

On any game, if you don't nudge as the ball hits the slings you have a big risk of an outlane drain.

Also a good tip, which I’ve never done till now. Keep ‘em coming!

#9071 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Speaker upgrades do help, but not fully eliminate the "static" sounds... usually Thanos talking is where I notice it most.
For $40 - $50 total you can get replacement upgrade 4" 2 or 3 way speakers and an 8" Woofer from Amazon or Parts Express.

The way to eliminate the static sound is by plugging a wiring harness directly into the CN5 spike 2 board. Bypassing the stock connections for both sub and back box speakers. The connection is direct and very clean that way and improves the sound significantly.

8FA1C9C7-D650-4039-AC3F-D91E0C8E054B (resized).jpeg8FA1C9C7-D650-4039-AC3F-D91E0C8E054B (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#9278 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Much better game. GnR looks awesome and should be but bores me. Give me a flowy fast AF Stern over JJP games any day.

Agreed, just played a buddies GNR and wow, nothing in it! Plays slow too! AIQ hands down plays faster and ZY art package on Avengers is light years better than GNR too.

#9284 2 years ago

Well since it seems like comparisons keep being done in our Avengers club thread with GNR: AIQ should have been game of the year without a doubt, but TWIP was tired of giving every game of the year to Keith Elwin, so GNR was put there by default. The first few games all the blinding bright lights were impressive, then after hearing the only great cover song written by Paul M. ten times it begins to become boring. Hearing Axl’s quite shot voice greatly reduces one to want to keep playing the same, mostly cover songs over and over again. But AIQ is fresh and new every time I step up to it, with tons of shots, fast play, fun ball interactive mechs and combos galore. Strategy never ends with AIQ, but there is virtually no strategy or satisfying shots to GNR, unless you’re a MB lover. (Yes, Elwin will get game of the year again this year, with GZ.) He’ll get it again next year, no matter what company goes against him, he’s just that good. Having AIQ in a collection with deep code, makes for a long haul fun game to have around.

2 weeks later
#9364 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Thank you! Something about AIQ seems to go well with my style of play. I think I'm a 'decent' player, but seem to be able to have big games on AIQ more consistently than most other pins.
I seem to only get occasional drains from spinning the disc. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to be a big enough issue for me that I strategize around hitting it. Usually hit it using bottom right flipper or upper left flipper. I am using 1956PINHEAD's aluminum disc, but that didn't change my approach to shooting it. I do sometimes still get a "thud" when hitting the disc post straight on.
I'll have to pay more attention and see if I'm doing something related to shooting the disc or recovering from shooting the disc that I'm not really thinking about.

You must have some kind of major nudging strategy to get those kind of scores?

#9367 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I do nudge quite a bit! (have tilt fairly sensitive with 2 warnings) I play so much that I generally wear padded gloves as well because I'll hurt my thumb and hands/wrists...
Here's my highest score on AIQ that I was videoing...

If you are able, it would be great to see exactly how you nudge the machine. Meaning being able to see your hands at the apron and part of the PF, while playing the game. This would greatly help us all imo. I’m still not sure the best way to nudge, even though I’ve seen videos on the subject, actual game play would be better. Would love a post of being able to see your hand nudging technique.

#9384 2 years ago
Quoted from Ender21x:

Anyone have thoughts on upgrading a AIQ Premium speakers?
Looking at these from Flipper Fidelity. Just wanting to move to 5” and want better speaker/ base quality. Not sure best path.
https://flipperfidelity.com/stern-speaker-system-with-10-high-output-woofer-for-iron-maiden-le/[quoted image]

They’re just barely okay, as I’ve had them, but only almost average. Find much better options in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route

#9392 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Well I am a dummy… put the old rod back in and it sits exactly the same way… guess I never tried a full plunge on the factory Rod because it behaves the same. Maybe I need a purple or red spring instead of orange?

You need strongest orange/red spring and to change the outer spring to the stock spring which is slightly shorter (take off of original plunger between the front plate and shooter knob), but makes enough difference to allow AIQ shooter rod to actually work.

#9394 2 years ago
Quoted from adrock:

Thanks I’ll try this. I still have 50/50 full plunge with stern shooter and red spring

It will work. Don’t know why Stern uses a slightly longer outer spring on accessory shooter rods, which causes the outer part of the rod to stop short and not allow a full plunge like the stock rod does, even with a more powerful inner spring. That’s why some people have put in the tip the smallest o ring silicon found on the outlane posts to extend the shooter tip, which is the same results replacing new outer spring with original. To top it all off, the new accessory knob itself is always much heavier too. So I always ask my distributor to just include a red/orange spring on newly ordered accessory rod from the beginning.

1 week later
#9428 2 years ago
Quoted from Gentax:

Just got this table and LOVE the shot flow, can someone help me understand a few quirks of the table?
1. I seem to be getting A LOT of outlane drains compared to center drains (2 to 1). Was this intentional or am I just better at saving balls from the center.
2. The Strange Disk seems harder to spin when the post is resting on the left side (closer to the upper flipper). In that area its too high to be hit by the second flipper, its protected from the left flipper and when I aim for it with the right flipper I hit the post "dead on" and as such the disk doesn't spin.
Any tips for the second part and confirmation on the first one?

$5 will solve the outlane drain issues with a double siamese post, which is better than the large single post. Tried them both and siamese post is better. Makes the game far more fun, but will still drain with bad shots.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/04398-conjoined-siamese-double-post-any-color-including-white

Pickup a better free flowing spinner carrier from Precision Pinball to solve resistant spinning of the Dr. Strange Vortex disk. Makes a huge difference to the central key area of the game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1341-precision-pinball-prod/05285-dr-strange-disc-mod-kit

3 weeks later
#9607 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Well, my score wasn’t at the level of awesome1 but I finally got through everything in one game. Got all 6 gems for 1B, played computer frenzy & trophy mania, and made all the shots through Marksman on Hawkeye Challenge. AIQ is such a great game![quoted image][quoted image]

Great score! Now what’s the quickest way to fight Thanos, after collecting avengers assemble the 2nd time, after Black Order MB?

Awesome, what’s your quickest way to battle Thanos?

I endlessly can assemble avengers twice, Battle black order and then don’t know the best strategy to constantly get to fight Thanos at the end.

#9631 1 year ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yes, just my opinion, but I think AIQ is Elwin's best shooting game. He even mentions on a Podcast that he thinks AIQ is his best shooting game.
Since the game was rushed, it lacks more advanced animations and callouts unfortunately which is why I think pinside ranks it the lowest out of his current 4 games. Some people think it has complicated code, but it really doesn't. Once you know how to collect Gems and assemble the Avengers, the game is relatively straight forward... You can go deeper and apply different strategies with different gems and different levels of Avengers which is why I think this is such a great pin for home use environment.

Agree, except don’t think the animations were rushed. They were done in comic book style, since the machine heralds from the comics, not the movies and are superb with that understanding. Take a look at the explanation. (Low ratings are false low ratings, as it should have been game of the year, but was very unfairly pummeled by the GNR crowd to ensure AIQ did not take it, as all other Elwin games have done year after year. By any honest appraisal, AIQ shoots circles around GNR, even if you like GNR. See explanation of animations:

1 week later
#9821 1 year ago

The spacer bar in the back is not actually for using as a handle. The purpose for what looks like a handle is really to create a spacer, on machines that have parts behind the backboard that maybe damaged if the PF is shoved too far back into the cabinet. The “handle/spacer” protects the gear behind the backboard from being damaged. That’s why some machines have it and others don’t. Why would anyone ever need a handle on the backboard? Why would anyone ever need to lift the PF from the back? That’d be a good way to dump the PF into the cabinet if it was moved too far forward and is dangerous.

#9828 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

When I pull the playfield forward to lift up or just rest on the rails, I'll push it back until it hits the "stop" and then reach in the back to lift the playfield up and over to slide the rest of the way in.
I know some people just push really hard to jump up over the stop, but that always felt weird to me.

I know it feels weird at first, but the PFs are robust and designed to be pushed hard over the small bump. There is zero issues of damage to the PF, even though at first it might feel like we need to be more gentle as picking it up from the back, but that is not proper pinball servicing protocol. After all we have a heavy steel ball flying around the PF all the time, without damage to the PF. Everything is bolted tightly on the PF, because if it wasn’t the shaker motor jolts it harder than the push back to get it over the small bump and our table would be destroyed by that alone. Picking it up from the back to get it over the hump is not the way it was designed and is awkward plus dangerous to your body. A design that’s been used by all pinball companies for almost 100 years, lol. Ask any tech in the business if they ever pick it up from the back to get it over the tiny bump, they’d just laugh at us. I used to gently lift it too, till a long experienced pinball tech laughed his head off at me doing it. Then he set me straight. Also, Stern tech warns us not to use the guard at the back as a handle. They said it’s not meant for that at all and again laughs at us for trying to use it that way.

3 weeks later
#10126 1 year ago

Two sudden issues:
1. What’s the best way to straighten out the sanctum target so it will not send the ball into the air much of the time after hitting that target?
2. At the end soul gem shot on Stark tower, the ball is not registering as magnet grabs it, to register shot made to capture soul gem. Haven’t looked at it yet, but is it an opto problem?

#10132 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

1. I think you just bend it back down periodically. There are mods to install a stronger bracket if you want. I haven't yet but might soon.
2. The tower magnet should grab the ball to end Soul Gem, but it might happen to miss on any given physical shot. Did this happen repeatedly or just once? In normal play, does the tower magnet grab it when lock is lit?
In normal play, if you can get 4X Arc Reactor shots and lock balls, then the optos are working (for a lock, you just have to make the top switch, the magnet doesn't have to grab it.) If the magnet isn't consistent or never works at all, it's most often a loose connection to it or its node board.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I just took Stark tower apart and the top opto was not registering. Readjusted, reset and cleaned and now it works! Bent the Sanctum target forward, so hopefully that’ll stop the airballs catapulting with an arch high enough to clear the flippers into the drain, lol.

#10133 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Any recommendations for a powder coat color on a premium?

Yellow, just like our LEs. Love that color and it so matches the artwork. I’d ask Stern their exact color to match it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

4,999 (Firm)
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

10,250 (OBO)
10,185 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thunderbird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=thunderbird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.