IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sly_old_devil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#183 3 years ago

Ok, that was unexpected...3 DeadFlip streams later and I've just paid my deposit for an AIQ Premium!

Haven't owned a Pin in over 4 years, thought I was well out of the madness...first NIB, first Stern...can't wait.

images (1) (resized).jpegimages (1) (resized).jpeg
#201 3 years ago

Quick question for those that have bought new Sterns regularly and especially recently, do the Stern supplied pinball balls still need replacing before first use (recommend yes or no)?

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Pins 4/5 years ago, maybe, but in TMNT they are good to use.

Thanks...I remember reading a few years ago that they were not the best quality but haven't been paying close attention since. Now I'm "back in the game" I thought I'd double check.

Hopefully the early owners will figure out any needed tweaks, Cliffy's etc before the premiums arrive in NZ...in case I need to order anything else for day 1, as orders can take a while to get down under eh

1 week later
#574 3 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Ok, that was unexpected...3 DeadFlip streams later and I've just paid my deposit for an AIQ Premium!
Haven't owned a Pin in over 4 years, thought I was well out of the madness...first NIB, first Stern...can't wait.[quoted image]

unexpected behavior number 2, upgrade Premium to the LE ...it's on its way to NZ as we speak. Still can't wait.

#576 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Congrats mate and enjoy!!

Thanks, even though it's not a dream theme for me, been watching the streams and reveals etc and I am feeling this machine big time...in a weird, but legal, way.

#753 3 years ago

Stern released a George Gomez video yesterday (I think) where he talked about the Spike system being the unsung hero etc...in it, he talks about a future upgrade to the CPU (quad core) AND a new PSU with a quieter fan.

He also mentioned it was part of a new series of videos from Stern...

#797 3 years ago

All this talk about how loud the stock fan is, I might be disappointed if my first, Stern, Pin-fan (deeproot patent pending) doesn't make my ears bleed when it fires up.

Lol...seriously I am now really curious about how loud it is going to be especially as it will be in a one pin lineup. At least I know there is a fix out there now, so that's good.

1 week later
#1221 3 years ago

Any Ozzies or Kiwis got their AIQ yet (pro/LE)...or firm shipping dates?

I have only seen US and Euro posts so far...??

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I spoke to AMD here in Australia yesterday and they confirmed that it is still early November before my pro arrives in the first batch.

I have an LE coming, expecting it mid / late November but not yet confirmed...when I was told it was on its way my disty meant the process was already under way, lol.

All the talk about impatience is fanning the flames of my own impatience

#1396 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

So the second set of arms that come up, when they go back down they stick out a tiny bit. Apparently that's just enough for the portal lock balls to get trapped. Added 3 washers on the bottom and no more problems.
Added bonus is now the ball goes straight down to the VUK (when going into any gem mode) instead of getting caught. Thought it had to go through the motions every time it was down there.

Could you post some pics when you get a chance please.

#1580 3 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Any word on upcoming code for this game? What improvements can we expect from Stern? Any new modes or missing modes? Considering getting a pro this week

Someone mentioned .91 code removed Battle Thanos mode as it wasn't ready, so expect that to be polished and returned at some point...along with some other improvements no doubt. Really looking forward to getting my machine one day...

2 weeks later
#2369 3 years ago

In his (GGs) recent "all about Spike" video he talks about upgrading the Spike CPU to quad-core, from today's dual-core architecture. The extra horsepower is what will drive additional features, like WiFi etc...

#2530 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

You are not last. We are patiently waiting in Australia. Hopefully soon.

Still waiting for LE in NZ as well...must be on the same dingy.

#2545 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Hopefully in the next week we should get the call! I was last told mid November.

Was told the same thing a while back, expect it around the 18th Nov...disty made a facebook post (couple of weeks ago) saying it should arrive in Port (Auckland) this week? Haven't heard anything yet though...I'm hoping for next week or week after worse case, once it has gone through the customs dance etc.

#2546 3 years ago

You guys normally get your games before us. Please let us know when you get yours, ours will not be far behind!

I did wonder who normally got them first...my first NIB so there will be sexy cardboard box pics as soon as it is here...I'll try and keep these safe for work snaps

#2737 3 years ago

You guys normally get your games before us. Please let us know when you get yours, ours will not be far behind!

Nooo! Worst news ever...er ok, worst 1st world problem news ever, heard today that Port delays in NZ mean my LE is now expected to get to port 20th Nov. Not sure if that means ship will go to Oz first then come back, or not, have you guys heard anything?

1 week later
#3101 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Looks like our Aussie container of Avengers pins will be delayed a bit longer now due to the industrial action last month at the ports. Hopefully they are only a week of so away though.

Still waiting for news on mine...last update was that boat should dock today (20th), after delays due to customs backlog. I haven't had an update to confirm anything yet though.

Maybe get it next week, hopefully...

#3105 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Boat docked this last Monday, but because of the strike, our Avengers have all been held aboard the boat. Hopefully this coming Monday, they will finally clear and be taken off. Think we are the last ones on earth to get our Avengers. Everyone else has been enjoying them for a year it seems, lol.

Maybe boat went over to you as it couldn't dock here 2 weeks ago when it was supposed to? I have no idea really...will ask our disty for a further update. And yeah it feels like we have been waiting forever...usa pinheads will be playing the next cornerstone Stern game before we play a single game at this rate, lol.

#3131 3 years ago

Maybe boat went over to you as it couldn't dock here 2 weeks ago when it was supposed to? I have no idea really...will ask our disty for a further update. And yeah it feels like we have been waiting forever...usa pinheads will be playing the next cornerstone Stern game before we play a single game at this rate, lol.

Update is that the game is in NZ but waiting for customs clearance...
...Auckland customs be like...

images (2) (resized).jpegimages (2) (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3393 3 years ago

We did ours in red titans. Looks awesome!
[quoted image]

Ozzies - What number ranges are your LEs and did you get the correct backboard plastc with the large Thanos head?

Still waiting, waiting, waiting, for mine to clear customs...lucky last eh

2 weeks later
#3764 3 years ago

Stop the clock...lucky last and just in time for Xmas. Must be the last LE delivered to original/home buyers (exception being for NIB sitters/disties etc)? Going to unbox tonight!

received_431041177917616 (resized).jpegreceived_431041177917616 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4015 3 years ago

Stop the clock...lucky last and just in time for Xmas. Must be the last LE delivered to original/home buyers (exception being for NIB sitters/disties etc)? Going to unbox tonight![quoted image]

Well, took just under a week for my subway mech to fail at the infamous weld spot...have put the subway into bypass mode and raised a call with disty/stern this afternoon (disty has already replied to me which is great).

What a game, has that "one more go" factor in spades, it is definitely in a league of its own.

20201229_134855 (resized).jpg20201229_134855 (resized).jpg20201229_135128 (resized).jpg20201229_135128 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

If some people are getting misses they don't like and this fix helps it so shots that might otherwise not make it can go through, then I don't think it's an instant leap to start thinking there's an inherent design flaw. I recall Keith or someone else saying it's not designed as an easy shot to make.
It could be in some cases that putting the acrylic in is an equivalent to using bumpers when bowling. It's going to still let the good shots go through and now some shots that wouldn't have made it before will go through. There's nothing wrong at all with anyone putting the acrylic there for any reason, but just because putting it there has the ability to improve people's success rate on the ramp doesn't mean there's a design flaw. It could be in some cases that it just makes the shot easier than it was designed (and there's nothing wrong with doing that on your machine).
And yes, of course there can be and probably are cases of machines that for whatever reason are getting a higher percentage of true rejects (due to things like game pitch, wire guide needs slight adjusting, etc.) and the acrylic will help get a better result without having to troubleshoot those things. On mine I had pitch up to about 6.8-6.9 when I first got it. After I lowered it a bit I had better success with that ramp, and that was a side benefit because it wasn't the reason I lowered the pitch. Each machine is going to be slightly different in setup and those differences can impact that shot.
I think the real test is whether or not you're getting clean shots through it frequently (and that's a relative term). There will still be many good looking shots that seem "rejected" though just because of the ramp design. On a traditional ramp a shot that looks pretty good can still make it up the ramp. A shot like that on this ramp usually isn't going to go through.
On mine I feel like the good shots I hit go through cleanly and I also get some slightly less than optimal shots that still make it around. Do I get shots that look like "rejects"? Yes, of course. But then I often immediately shoot right back at it just to test it and there are a ton of times the ball sails cleanly right through on the next attempt right after getting a rough "reject" on a shot that seemed pretty good. I interpret that as meaning the shot that seemed pretty good and got "rejected" in reality just wasn't good enough, because otherwise how to explain another shot within 15-20 seconds flying through it easily? Spin, shaker motor, and other things could have an effect also. But I'd be very surprised if this is really a design flaw.

In my opinion it is more accurate to describe this as a production flaw or rather change, look at the reference design from Stern themselves, it has the wireform all the way down. Most likely got changed to make assembly easier and allows for more slight variances in the ramp and the wireform itself. Maybe Keith will clear it up at some point in a future podcast, who knows?

#4535 3 years ago
Quoted from jooky:

Tip: I got my piece of "lexan" from a kids microscope set. Just something cheap from walmart or toysrus will do - they often come with plastic slides which are exactly the dimensions you need. You could probably find what you need on amazon if you search for "plastic microscope slides", but you'll get way more than you need of course.
Can also confirm the marvel shot is a lot smoother - you still get rejects but its slightly less now with the adjustment.

Do you think an old Credit Card (or similar size plastic card) would work, I might try this approach temporarily over the weekend?

#4616 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

IM and Thor multiball are not fun. In fact, it really pisses me off if I start either one on it’s own before being able to start a gem quest. I’ve been known, out of frustration to start over at that point.

My thoughts exactly...although I now use the MBs to practice hitting shots under fire...still irks me no end though.

#4638 3 years ago

Do you think an old Credit Card (or similar size plastic card) would work, I might try this approach temporarily over the weekend?

Just reporting back on my quick and easy proof of concept credit card solution. I actually used a spare plastic luggage tag cut to size, super easy with a small loop of duct tape...hasn't made a noticeable difference as mine still rejects more than it doesn't (it seems initially anyway), but I'll give it more time to see how it trends. I think adjusting the pitch from 6.8 to 6.6 made more of an overall difference and managed to get 3 gems and black order mb for the first time today...

20210126_165356 (resized).jpg20210126_165356 (resized).jpg20210126_165424 (resized).jpg20210126_165424 (resized).jpg20210126_165446 (resized).jpg20210126_165446 (resized).jpg
#4640 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Mine is hit and miss as well, I usually try to manually plunge whenever I can.

As a data point my (LE) auto launcher makes it 99% of the time...and that was out of the box. Manually it struggles and it came with the orange spring installed...

#4645 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

You get what you put into it.
Im not surprised that that "loop of duct tape" isnt making a difference for you.

What! It's a piece of plastic and it hasn't moved in 50-60 games so the duct tape loop is doing fine thanks. As others have observed it still takes a good shot...there is no hole to fall out of (as I said, the POC is solid).

#4718 3 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

So with the few reported glitches, is the consensus here to still load the new update?

Looks to be a great update, but I might wait 24hours myself, to see what the trend is, from a stability perspective.

#4722 3 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Thanks Sly- appreciate the input. Looking forward to hearing other owners thoughts on the recent update.

Having said that, rolling back to .95 code is easy enough if you have backed up/kept the .95 download (just put usb with .95 back in the machine and restart pin). So I might not wait afterall

#4723 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I found a small bug in the .96 version (not the new one) on my LE -- I started Super Ball Saver (I think that's what it's called?), and then shot the ball into the portal lock. Instead of saying the ball was locked, it played the Captain America ball save animation. The ball stayed in the lock and it counted, but the animation was and callout was just wrong. Minor, but there it is.
Is there a bug thread that I'm missing? I know there is one for IMDN, so if there's one for AIQ, I'll post it there instead.

.96? have I missed an update or two then, lol, thought I was paying attention to AIQ updates...for me it has gone from .95 to .98

#4726 3 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So- how is the LE code different from the Prem . code ?

On startup there is a splash screen that says what LE number your machine is...other than that I can't imagine anything being different. Not sure that one detail warrants separate code bases but it might just be down to good coding practice...

#4886 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What are default outlane settings?

Factory Default is the most closed position (bottom most hole towards flippers)...although I can't imagine opening them up more could be any less punishing, they are already a drain nightmare.

#4913 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I agree, game is nearly complete, but Trophy room needs to be much improved.

For me the whole trophy thing is the weakest part of the game, wtf has trophies got to do with the Avengers universe anyway? They have a mode based on it so I guess it could/should stay but please put it way, way, way back into the background and remove it from the foreground.

Reminds me of the Playstation 3 attempt at making trophies, in games, a thing...a lame attempt to create online competition. God, I hope this is not where they were trying to head in AIQ

1 week later
#5086 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah. I have rarely been screwed by the portal, but it can happen. Cap Marvel reject drains are definitely real, but usually that's my own fault for not hitting the ramp cleanly enough. The only other drain that really feels unfair to me is a ball coming down the right side (to the right of Thor) hugs the lane guide and would feed cleanly to the right flipper...until it hits the freaking rubber rings on the posts just left of the Ant-Man wire-form. That rubber is just enough to bounce most balls perfectly into the center drain instead of my flipper. I need to pull mine apart and see if there is any room for adjustment on those posts, otherwise I might need to replace them with the cliffy/post rubber style posts instead of rings. The way that lane guide is shaped, it seems clear that they should be feeding clean to the right flipper, but those rubbers peak out JUST enough to screw you over. Anyone else with the same issue, or is it just me?

With stock rubber on those posts mine was bouncing nicely to the left flipper. I changed the stock rings for titans and now it feeds to the tip of the right flipper or sdtm, but as long as I flip the right flipper it will stop the sdtm and tip to the left flipper. Makes sense as the titans are fractionally slimmer than the stock, stern, rubber rings.

#5180 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

So that's kinda funny - I thought maybe you were f'ing with me with the "gold dust in the cabinet" clue. Not sure if this pic shows it, but sure enough...
[quoted image]

Funnily enough, I was adding Cliffy's protectors to my machine the other day and noticed gold dust on the cabinet floor (my 1st Stern pin). It triggered my memory of seeing someone post about Stern coil stops being shit and gold dust being the clue, and sure enough, it was the 3rd flipper coil stop...luckily I had ordered a few from PBL as a precaution just on the back of people posting about it in this thread. Quick 5min swap out and good to go.

1 week later
#5368 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

I installed the ramp clip tdiddy makes on my machine tonight and played a quick test game. I can definitively say that the clip makes an incredible difference in how the ramp shoots. Very smooth ball travel now with zero rattling or clunked shots back out of the ramp. I highly recommend the clip for any Prem/LE owner frustrated due to CM ramp rejects. It really makes that big of an improvement, to the point the CM ramp shot now seems easier than a post-pass to the right flipper.

I'm looking forward to getting mine...CM ramp is my most frustrating shot now that I have dialed it in a bit.

#5421 3 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

thanks for responding. it was the only quest i completed. would change gem still happen if i didn’t have any gems collected? in normal circumstances is a shot up the right ramp all it takes to collect a gem?

Generally the only time collect gem won't register is if there is another mode running, like multiball or super whatever. Does the up-post work in test?

#5428 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Double check in switch test mode that the switches for the right (gauntlet) ramp are registering properly and are not accidentally switched with another ramp.

Yes there have been a few instances, with pinsiders AIQs, where the BW and Gem ramp optos were swapped around (even labeled incorrectly). Take pics and swap the connectors under the playfield...it should be easy enough to work out and I think there are a few pics in this thread, look under key posts first...good luck.

3 weeks later
#6127 3 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I might have to order one when I reorder my captain marvel plastic that Auspost has misplaced! Only been a month! Fking posties

At least yours made it to Oz, mine hasn't made it out of Ohio in a month...USPS on route to next facility, where, Titan?

1 week later
#6351 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

For balls coming back down the Black Panther loop, where do they drop on your machines? I get far too many SDTM. Sometimes it kicks over to the left flipper, sometimes it catches the right. Seems like it should be a consistent drop to the left flipper...

With stock rubber mine would almost always go to the left flipper but since I changed all stock to Titans it has shifted to the right flipper...difference is in rubber thickness for me.

3 months later
#7489 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

has anyone outside of the US had a replacement subway mech for the premium/LE? Pretty much all the initial LE's/Premiums in the UK have broken subway mechs from last year and the distributor seems to have trouble getting the mechanisms, (my games are actually ok just a few others with this issue).
Neil.

Got my LE Dec 21st-ish a week later my subway mech broke. Contacted my disty and cc'd Pablo, not expecting a response until after new years, but they both responded and mech was sent straight away. Still took 5 or 6 weeks to get to me (almost the norm for NZ)...been fine ever since.

1 year later
#11849 12 months ago

I know I'm very, very late to this party but finally made it to the AIQ billion club, just. Had it in the collection since new.

What made the big difference for me was watching Karl's 2 year old AIQ streams (2 weeks ago) I noticed he could easily play the BW and Gem ramps from the right flipper. My right flipper tip was aligned centre low of the hole so I adjusted it to sit centre high (could not get it bang on like the left one) and all of a sudden I could hit the BW ramp at will, without cradling the ball first, big difference. I also then homed in on the Marvel ramp and stole his strategy for the gems and thier placement.

Anyway a work in progress...but had to tell someone.

20230427_171147 (resized).jpg20230427_171147 (resized).jpg
#11854 12 months ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Was having issues hitting my black widow ramp maybe I need to raise flipper a little bit; it’s better now but nowhere near how Karl plays it…
how do I avoid the level height of the flipper raising or lowering when adjusting it?
I can never figure that out
[quoted image]

I just keep 2 old credit cards under the flipper to keep it at the same height it was already...holding it firm until tightened enough...tricky as I noticed the whole arm pawl thing wanted to twist a bit, a PIA if you ask me. But as Eagle says a huge difference in just a mil or 2 change.

I can see from your pic that like mine yours are what I call centre Low...only my right was as low as yours.

#11855 12 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Yup, I did exactly the same on my AIQ early on. Flipper alignment is critical on this game. They seem to ship from the factory below center more often than not, on all titles.
What was Karl's gem strategy? Mine is this: Power Gem on Panther (hardest to level), Mind on Widow (easiest to level), Soul on Capt Marvel (get the ramp multiplier for Soul Gem jackpots.) The other three don't matter much. After finishing all gems then Reality on Capt Marvel to take advantage of the ramp multiplier for 10x scores.

Basically (from the two I watched) he gets the Time gem 1st and places on BW to easily max time on everything, reality next on CM for multipliers, Soul on Panther then doesn't really care about the others...unless doing the Soul gem party trick with the Mind gem.

All easier said than done for me still...I didn't place a gem on CM during my billion game (because I failed my shots at the critical times AND I even managed to screw up the manual placement as I wasn't quite ready, doh!)...next time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
$ 19.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Fullerton, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sly_old_devil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=sly_old_devil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.