04.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
IMG_1031 (resized).JPG
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
36863FBC-80B4-44C0-BAA5-628E16C6A2D9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sleal16.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7825 2 years ago

Ok, started last week and reading through all the posts here on this topic....at about 110/157 pages currently...

Guess to summarize, looks like my wife and I are both masochists with how people describe the difficulty of this game. Considering we're both new to pinball in general (we've played more over the past month or two than the rest of our lifetimes combined), we had SOOO much fun with AIQ on location that we made it our first pin (and this my first post). We suck so bad at pinball compared to the vast majority of people here on pinside, but every day we get on this machine we're glued to it and seeing a slow steady improvement in skill/score.

We barely have room for this pin, but should change over the next year as we're adding space to the house...and already trying to plan the order of which ones to get (have a HWN on reservation). We tried a JP at the place that has AIQ but for some reason didnt click. Saw on the map there was a DP at a bar somewhere, so need to make an event of it some morning.

Anywho....just thought I'd jump in on the forum and pop the cherry on adding a comment...this game rocks!

2021-08-19 20.28.13 (resized).jpg2021-08-19 20.28.13 (resized).jpg
#7831 2 years ago

Soooo, I have a question and a half (half because I think I know what the problem is from reading previous posts but just laying it out anyway).

1. I've been adding a some random little mods/upgrades/adjustments to fine tune the system and one of them today was adding Titan flipper standard silicone rubbers (first time using something like this in my limited experience). I get that each type of material and such reacts differently, but wanted to see if the consensus of these silicone type things is that it tends to be...sticky? Like if the ball hits or slides at it from an angle or opposite ball rotation, theres friction that causes it to seem like its kinda braking? I mean, I'm loving how they're making ball catches easier, just the other part of it is kinda jarring initially. Maybe I need to get used to it.

1.5 Now heres the half question. My right flipper had seemed for a while like it was weaker than the left, even from a fresh cold boot. I found the standard evidence as described in previous posts about the coil stops with the shavings at the bottom of the cabinet. I took the stop from the upper flipper which looked like it was in much better condition but still seemed to be a bit weak after moving it to the right one. Even that thud from the flipper activation sounds slightly dull compared to the left one. I did order some stop replacements and also the Tibetan fans (wife and I played for a couple of hours today without a break and definitely noticed it getting worse at the end) which will hopefully get here by end of next week, but if theres anything else anyone can recommend for me to look at while I wait, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#7834 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

1) Yes, Titans have a different surface than traditional rubber and will cause the ball to behave differently.
1.5) The flipper is on a metal rod that goes through a plastic bushing. If the bottom of the flipper bat is tight to the top off the bushing you could have issues. Compare to the left and see if there is a difference.

Cool, I'll fiddle with it and see if there's a difference in rigidity. Thanks!

#7903 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Hi,
Any other advice on this? My spinner is not registering hits but sensor appears to be centered and I even tried this fix to be sure. The red light on the board is slow blinking too in attached pics whereas other boards with red lights have a solid red.
Thanks in advance.[quoted image][quoted image]

Cant tell from the angle of the photo, but make sure the tip of the rod is not too close to the sensor. I had that problem once.

Also, thanks to the advice from earlier this week, changed the flipper bushings, coil sleeves and stops, and added some coil fans (why not). Everything is a lot more snippy with a good amount of force. I might revisit some minor adjustments later when i get the cliffy's later as I'm not sure the spacing really required between the bushing, flipper and the piston/arm thing that holds the flipper. But it looks right compared to some things i'm finding online.

The last thing I need to figure out is if I need to replace the motor that controls the lifting/lowering of the spinning disc. I'm getting occasional jams where it doesnt lower all the way. I have to take off the glass and push it down (gave up after the first time where I took it apart and forcibly rotated that part, so just pressed down from the 2nd+ occurance).

#7942 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Update as Stern finally reached out:
1) They are sending me the disc leveling service kit
2) They are suggesting that I replace the walking mech for the portal. Before doing that, has anyone had this issue and possibly adjusted the walking mech to fix this. I want to rule out a potential adjustment before going down the route of replacement.

I might need to reach out to them for the walking mech as well. Debating... I think their new tray, or whatever is called, has the middle slit running all the way to the end of the subway which makes it harder for it to get stuck at the lip. Mine on a semi regular basis when the ball shoots into that hole from the playfield, it'll bounce a bit and jump INTO the subway and get stuck there at the lip. I end up just lifting it from the side to have it slide down, but if the new slit eliminates it, I might request it as well.

#8027 2 years ago
Quoted from Williamson:

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I did set the gap after reinstalling the disc assembly, and I had an FS reading in the 400’s in all positions. I had a look, and the proper gap is still there, so I don’t think the magnet is rubbing on the sensor.

I had a look at this washer, and it seems to have plenty of clearance as the disc rotates. I also removed the nut, washer, and clamp, and I still sometimes hear the buzzing when I spin the disc, so it doesn’t seem to be any of those components interfering. It’s almost like the rod itself is buzzing against the brass bushing under the jam nut?

Or, maybe this is what is going on. Just curious; do others with a factory disk hear this “buzzing”/vibration when they hit the disc post with a pinball with the glass off? For an example, see the video in my previous post. If so, maybe this is normal.

Thanks for the suggestion; your mod looks great, and I would consider investing in one even if I get my plastic disc fixed!

I've been fiddling with the spinner disc for a couple of weeks and part of the symptoms are seeming identical to what I was experiencing. The OEM fix is getting the leveling kit replacement. Forgot what its called exactly, bushing carrier? That needs to be replaced (either by stern or 1956pinhead carrier upgrade is a fantastic improvement). My issue was directly related to the copper bushings becoming loose during spin/lift/lowering. The very slight angle of the rod created from not having the bushing in place was causing too much friction and you can hear the metal-on-metal rubbing sound. Also with that friction the lift assembly would get stuck trying to lift the rod. Think when you spin it by hand you create enough force to have it spin "centered" but when hit by the ball getting it to spin from an already compromised position is preventing it to get it started.

A temporary fix if it is the bushing popping off from the carrier is very carefully applying some super glue to the bushing to have it stay in its spot. Either way, check the status of those bushing first.

#8038 2 years ago

Started playing with the browser app yesterday. Also tried out someone's MCU edits/inserts. Fun stuff. Kinda motivated to mess around with what I can come up with as well. Someone mentioned the game was based off the second season of the show? Might be interesting to kinda mix some of the MCU OST with show clips. I'll have to hunker down and watch at least those episodes and see what it has to offer.

#8040 2 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Found this thread. I’m excited to try it out. I thought someone was working on updated video and souns though
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-infinity-quest-spider-soundmod#post-6483115

Yeah, thats the one. Some of the videos were not popping up though =/ . I could see it in the browser but would not play during the game. The one specifically that stood out was the bonus end of ball video. It would still have the image/video loop of whatever i was currently doing when the ball drained.

#8114 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

I cant compare it to TMNT as I haven't played it but I find AIQ petty frustrating overall. Its by far my least favourite pin in my collection, also have DP, IMDN, and ACNC. I'm beginning to toy with the idea of selling or trading it. I don't find it to be an overly easy shooter at all, a good percentage of the ramps are always half ramps for me. I do like the placement of the ramps but the balls generally don't make it up for me and almost always go sdtm on the reject. All that said I'm not a great player, average at best, and I'm clearly in the minority on the game so take that into account. I love the theme, love the art package, and I don't even think the callouts are all that bad but between the rules and what I find some pretty difficult shots due to ramps or certain angles the game just hasn't clicked with me. I keep trying and plugging away at it tho hoping it will begin to turn around for me.

Some thoughts on your half ramps, when I got mine I was experiencing similar issues especially with the right flipper. I took a look at the mechanisms, and the coil stops were breaking apart even though it had just gotten a few plays (I'm second owner and previous person didnt play it much). I replaced the stops and sleeves...went ahead and replaced the bushings while I was at it...gave it a good cleaning and a waxing and has been shooting like a dream since. Though right now I'm experiencing TOO strong of a couple of shots up the BW and sometimes the CM ramp where I can get random rejects from the sheer velocity, but that should subside when the wax wears down a bit. I just played the LE on location as well today and could tell their flippers were about to start losing strength as I was getting some weak ramp shots.

#8116 2 years ago
Quoted from SharkDiver:

Thanks for the tip. Would this be something that would be pretty noticeable to the naked eye if I lifted the playfield? I'm very unfamiliar with the all the workings and mechanisms on pins unfortunately but am trying to learn.

Yeah, this is my first pin and pretty new to the stuff as well, but thankfully because I had played one already before buying this, kinda new what it was supposed to feel like (would have sucked if the location one was weak as well, then I wouldn't have noticed).

Visually I had two quick things I spotted (thanks again to other people here that pointed it out as well): a bunch of copper/metal dust shavings at the base of the cabinet underneath the flippers, and looking at one of the coil stops, the center part was actually loose and broken off from the bracket. I'll post a video I used as reference when I was looking into it at first. Primarily it was all the shavings inside the cabinet that was the more common indicator, as the left flipper was feeling very sightly sluggish also. But the broken stopper on the right one was the bigger culprit.

Keep in mind, use normal clean shots as reference (cradled or coming from a fed lane). Like for me on the right flipper, I would have a nice centered shot to black widow ramp and at least half the time would not make it all the way up. From what I've read, it's a somewhat common issue with the Stern stoppers, but it's a more problematic issue on layouts like AIQ that really depends on that flipper strength.

#8118 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Hey what is this fix? Thanks
Any other recommendations of mods for better game play. I have a AIQ Prem coming. Thanks everyone!

The CM fix is a little wall added to the left side of the ramp. Didn't think it would affect it much, but closing up that gap really made some of the shots crisper with much less rejects.

Outside of that, gameplay oriented mods I'm using pinhead's spinner replacement. That's giving an awesome different experience than stock. It's so smooth and looks sleek.

#8124 2 years ago
Quoted from hugewizard:

Anyone seen this before? Welds on the right return (captain marvel + scoop) just separated out of nowhere.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Not on the exact spot, but one on location has a similar snap a couple of months ago. Not sure if they got it welded or replaced but it was fixed. Not sure if a zip tie somewhere could be a good temporary fix

#8135 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Just installed 1956PINHEAD Dr. Strange Disc Mod.
A quick review- It's an excellent product. Instructions were a little daunting for a noob like me, but 1956pinhead was great at helping me out. And I set a new RPM record so that makes it all good. [quoted image]

Nice! Since I'm using the carrier, left out the additional bearings....think I might add them in just to see if I can break 1k. Right now I'm topping out at about 800. Its fantastic still!

Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I swore no mods on my game
I broke down and got the ant man mod after seeing the CM ramp fix
It’s sick
Looking at the tower mod and the tuna can for Dr strange from pin monk and the disk from pinhead
After Batman 66 I swore no more mods
[quoted image]

That Pym building looks soo cool. I've been on the fence as I really like seeing the wireforms as much as possible but that mod is so clean (and the tower+sanctum as well).

I just finished installing the Cliffy's shooter lane protectors and feel like its helped the auto-plunger greatly (installed the outhole drain, ant man scoop, and drop target ones as well). I think i'm at 90% minimum success plunging the full path. I still think I need to clean some of the ramp guides at the exit of the shooter lane as I'm still getting a bit of a wobble, but at that success rate, not fretting too much atm. Now that I'm done with all the performance mods/tweaking, can start playing with the aesthetics. MODS!

#8165 2 years ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

So maybe the mod wouldn’t help then. I just need to check the actual target.

also check the disc+ring leveling. If its become off a little, I can see it getting some air as it passes over ring, hit the sanctum (and if the sanctum is angled) give it an upward trajectory

#8166 2 years ago

Hmmmm, wondering if someone can recommend, if theres one, a method to properly align the CM wireform ramp. Never had an issue before, but as I took it off to gain access and clean the inside of the Thor MB area and put everything back together, I now get some weird aggressive ejects from the ant-man scoop. About 1 in 4 on average it rides the ant-moon scoop in an uncontrolled fashion, will hit the ramp pretty hard and instead of it riding it down to the inlane, it just bounces into the playfield. I've taken it off and on a couple of times to see if there was something I can wiggle, but as soon as all the screw/washer points are in place, doesnt feel like i can adjust it.

#8168 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Make sure the (2) prongs are properly inserted at Ant Man and the back of the CM ramp. At Ant Man they can ride on the ledge and create what you describe... they should insert down below. After that, make sure no tension and slowly tighten all of the mounts.
If you have the CM Lexan fix and/or 3D printed fix and still get rejects, move the wireform mount position at the front left of CM ramp until no more rejects.

Cool, I'll check that on my next disassembly. When you say "no tension" do you mean that it shouldnt feel like entry into the screw threads feel like they're forced and pulling at the threads? It does/did feel like I have to pull and slightly force the bottom screw point that attaches to the lane. I'll see if theres a different approach of re-inserting it

#8170 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Yeah, I'm almost certain you have the wireform prongs sitting on the ledge at Ant Man. I did that once and ran into similar issues and it was difficult to get the end of the wireform by the inlane in place.

YUP! that was it. Think it was either already a little tight in those two prongs or from my first bad placement, as the prongs were a bit wide and every time after the first time i looked at it didnt seem like it would fit in there. I slightly bent them inward so they can slide in its place and it fits perfect.

#8183 2 years ago

For those that have attempted to level the Dr Strange Disc, when I do it it's either just slightly higher than the pf or slightly lower.
If I had to choose between the two, is it better to have it slightly more sunken?

With it being adjusted by a thread turn on the bushing carrier, you should be able to get it close to perfect to alight the disc to the round frame. If need be, you can make a little marker notch so you can know how much you adjusted it every time. I would give it a small turn, then check up top on the pf with a flat edge. I would repeat the process till it's just about perfect (guess super sightly below might be preferred). I would then put a small mark on the carrier and the ring that it's being threaded into, so that when you tighten the bigger ring to lock it, you can move it back in place if it shifts. That for me was the hardest part was to keep it in the same position as i put the last part back on.

#8190 2 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

What re the speaker light color of choice for AIQ..single color or multi-colored look best?

There'll be lots of personal preferences, but for my wife and I, we're suckers for the rainbow colors on this. They're circling through the spectrum.

2021-09-17 10.28.53 (resized).jpg2021-09-17 10.28.53 (resized).jpg
#8207 2 years ago

Yeah, I started with the contact form on their site. From initial contact till receiving the leveling kit and subway tunnel it was under two weeks. Was very pleased with their support process.

Quoted from Crowbass:

Looking for some help on the coil for the subway. Last night it wouldn't launch balls out of the subway, so i opened it up and the coil was just hanging. It looks like the coil stop loosened and the sleeve dropped out. i've ordered a new coil, but am having trouble finding the coil stop. I have the part number from -the manual #535-2377-00, but can't find one that looks exactly like the one that's in there. Where is everyone's go to spot for pinball parts?
Thanks

Was the part you needed from the walking assembly or the VUK. I think the part you mentioned is for the walking assembly which should control the teeth of it making it through the subway. Launching the balls sounds more VUK than subway, which the retaining bracket is part # 535-5203-03. But if its the walking part, then you might need to get the full assembly from Stern instead.

#8224 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Perfect - thanks - ordered!
BTW - do you still need th Stern fix with this kit?

Depends if you only got the disc or also the carrier. Sterns leveling kit is pretty much just the carrier replacement. So it's either or.

Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Picked up a premium last week and am really enjoying learning the game. The only thing that feels weird is it seems like my hulk spinner is undercounting. I will get a great shot and absolutely rip the spinner but I may only get like 8 spins registered. I don’t think I’ve ever had a shot register more than 10. Anyone know what might be a good way to troubleshoot?

Check how the spinner is pushing down on the switch. Can also see how the switch behaves or responds in the switch test in diags

#8268 2 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Good call, I have IM all the way up in the back just was not sure about Avengers. Going to do that ASAP.
Thank you for the tips on the ramp/habitrail. Help like this is why I remember really enjoying this forum in the past.

Avengers has different sweet spots for different people. For me the recommended 6.5 pitch was much better than the close to 7s some use on AIQ. Go too high and the moment the flippers start weakening, you'll have issues up the ramps.

#8280 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'd have to check. It isn't mine, it's the one on location at league. It looks flat and level with the playfield though.

If the disc lays flat, and spins "flat", then the sensor at the bottom tip might be slightly off centered

#8288 2 years ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Anyone can tell me where this Cliffy goes!
[quoted image]

I just installed them last week, confirming above posts, right shooter lane.

Question for you, on the left one did you have any issues getting it flat across the lip? I adjusted it so many times and still get a small "bubble"

PXL_20210924_004036517.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210924_004036517.MP (resized).jpg
#8297 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I think it's fine. I adjusted the fitment on mine a couple times as well, but as long as not interfering with anything it should be good and is protecting the wood.

Yeah, it felt off but after this right lane convo I ended up taking a look at both sides, and I had the right one slightly lower (closer to the front) than the left side. It was mostly at the exit of the protectors where the right side would land on the shooter lane first. I pushed it up a little bit and it feels better.

Man this game is a blast. Almost broke 500m today. 2 Gems collected, the other 3 within 1-2 shots of completion. Couple of weeks ago I was still at barely braking 100-150m while struggling to get a single gem. Baby steps, baby steps.

#8309 2 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Mine are arriving on Monday. Did you get the add on for the upper flipper? I didn't and now hoping i won't regret that decision...

Wife and I will sometimes play for 1-2hrs at a time and haven't really noticed an issue with the upper flipper. The two main ones are sufficient. Though, I do think I'm nearing the point of coil stop replacement again.

#8316 2 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Ya, when i turn the machine on the balls scream up the ramps, but after like 90 minutes it gets really noticable, you have to make super clean shots to get them up.
I'll look at the coil stops and sleeves this week. I have read here to not get the ones from Stern but older Williams ones because they are sturdier, but i wouldn't know the part numbers for those.
Any ideas?

Yeah, time based losing power that's the heating issue. If you still have the stock stops, doesn't hurt to replace them but won't resolve the ~90 minute fade

#8337 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Doesn't the post on the spinner cover those holes? Looks like it could. Hard to say exactly from picture in above post.

Post covers the edges of the drill spots, but just a little bit. The sticker covers the whole thing.

A) With how close the holes are to the post, the ball doesnt run over them and wont sink in

B) The cutout you need to make for the sticker in order to screw in the post needs to be big enough so when you tighten it, you dont twist the sticker along with the screw. I had initially just made the hole barely big enough for the screw, and when I tightened it the sticker twisted and dived into the holes a tad. I had to undo it and clean it up to get it flat again.

#8340 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I'm thinking about this, my spins have only been in the 500-600 RPM range for a few weeks now when a few months ago they were in the 1000-1200 RPM range.

With the stock equipment, we never hit above 600-700 if everything was aligned properly. When the copper bushings would pop off and the rod would get slightly slanted, the sensor would freak out and register up to 1500. I would then realign the bushing and rod, and would go back to the normal RPM. Either way, not an issue anymore with the mood and everything is smooth like butter

#8346 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Glad you posted this. Mine looks the same. I'm wondering if the playfield changed not allowing it to fit the routed holes properly. I was almost tempted to remove a little material from the cliffy to make this fit better.

Yeah, it's hard to gauge what part to shave off. I left it as-is and after adjusting the right side to have the same exit length, its been working fine where didnt want to mess with it further. So as far as protection, shouldnt be an issue. It did improve the full plunge problem by a considerable amount. Outside of awesome1 recommendation to use a different coil, I will see what else I can do to reduce the rattle as it leaves the shooter lane to turn it from a 1/6 failure to hopefully close to 100% success. The centering for the auto-plunger should be fine, as I get rattles even with the normal shooting rod. So its probably where the metal ramp is screwed at the wooden part of the lane and/or the flimsy metal guide as it leaves the ramp. Been trying to take slow-mo vids to narrow it down, but my camera is having some issues with it. Not too concerned as the 1/6 failure to full plunge doesnt bother me that much atm.

#8348 2 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I like the looks of this mod, looks really well fabricated which is cool... but I'm not sure I want more spins on the disc... that thing gets in the way already, more spins will just make it harder to hit that darn sanctum target .
Curious, with less friction on the disc, is it possible the post is resting in the 6 o'clock position (If 12 is the sanctum target) more frequently as the pitch of the playfield would lend the disc to wanting to fall to the 6 o'clock position because of gravity I'm thinking. I really do depend on that post to stop out of the path of the sanctum target from time to time.

That's the only drawback. Even if it lands out of the 6oclock position, through the shaker motor and other little vibrations it'll move back to that spot. On the plus side, I've gotten pretty decent at hitting it from the upper flipper. Whenever I need to hit the sanctum, I'll shoot it to the right ramp to feed to it. Long run, with either stock or upgraded spinner, I think the sanctum shots might be more reliable that way (guess unless the post is between 9-12 o'clock)

#8352 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

On mine when I first got it the ball had a tendency to veer left as it went across the shooter lane metal ramp. As you said, that shooter lane metal ramp is very flimsy and it seems to have a lot of bounce and wobble to it, and it isn't supported much at all underneath it. I propped a Lego brick with a cabinet dot/bumper on top of it underneath the left side in the middle of the ramp to counter the movement of the ball and it's worked great ever since. Made it so the ramp wasn't tilting that way anymore.
Here's a post that has a picture of where I put the brick/bumper stack under the shooter lane:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/108#post-6152817

Interesting. I'll try that lego approach see if changes anything.

#8356 2 years ago

Pardon my ignorance.
Can someone please explain how RPMs are calculated on Dr. Strange? How does the machine know how many rotations?
I understand how it counts the rotations on a spinner like the Hulk. But I don't quite understand how it does it on the Dr. Strange disc.

Not sure on the exact method it uses (electronics wise), but theres a magnetic sensor at the bottom of the assembly, in which the rod is also magnetic. So when it rotates, I guess the software counts the amount of times it toggles the sensor. It'll grab the first second or so of spins and fit it in the "per minute" math to calculate how many rotations it would have gotten if it maintained its initial velocity throughout a whole minute. For the sake of RPM, thats about it. From then it'll still count rotations while its spinning to tally up score/etc but wont really tie in with the RPM math. The number ends up being a little arbitrary.

#8359 2 years ago

Thanks for the info.
I guess I am more curious on the electronic part of the process. How does the magnetic sensor count the spinning? I am hoping someone way smarter than me can dumb it down and explain it.

Till someone can explain it better, this page has some good briefs and illustrations:

https://www.akm.com/us/en/products/rotary-encoder/angle-sensor/

#8363 2 years ago

Very informative. I am trying to see if I can make any adjustments to it. I feel like I am ripping that disc and my RPMs aren't as high as I would have imagined.

It does need to be a set distance between the two points.

Too close and/or sightly not angled correctly (not centered and not perpendicular) will register faster hits.....too far and won't register enough.

How high are you getting? I do think 600-800 are healthy averages if everything is perfectly calibrated

#8365 2 years ago

I am in the 500 to 600s. When I first installed the Dr Strange mod, I got up to 1300s. I assumed that would be a common occurrence. But in 20 games or so games since, I have yet to break 800.
Perhaps the sensor is too close. I heard that it needs to be a credit card thickness distance between sensor and bottom of rod. Mine is pretty close.

yeah, thats really the only thing you can adjust at this point. With both the carrier and the disc upgrade, we hit up to 1100 but stay in the 700-900 range on good days. Only thing I didnt install was the extra bearing insert, since with the carrier it was an optional thing to add. I'm not concerned with RPM's, so havent taken the time to take it apart again to put that in. Mostly what I love about the new equipment is the more rotations we get out of it. My wife can keep her RPM high score of 1500 (she hit that with stock stuff, but both bearings had fallen out of the OG carrier and the disc was flopping all over the place).

#8374 2 years ago

I probably should have asked or dug around a bit before adding the ant-rattle tape to the glass, but.....Is it recommended to tape all sides or just the ends? I ended up taping each side and it was a b&%*# to slide the glass back on. Very tight. Mostly asking so if only the ends are really needed I'll remove the side ones.

#8379 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

can you elaborate on that a bit more? I noticed ours was registering 1200+ where our pro used to top out at like 600ish. I thought maybe it was a premium vs pro difference, but your description fits. Can you elaborate on what you saw?

So in this photo, the bearing popped off and caused the rod to go from slightly to badly slanted. When the rod would slant, the bottom tip would not be centered and perpendicular to the sensor. The sensor would rely on that precision to count correctly. If the magnetic poles end up being funky, it picks up triggers when it shouldnt. At its worst, the whole table would be at rest with the ball cradled, and the disc would be adding to the score and filling up the STRANGE letters.

The other photo was before I adjusted it last month, so the pole is pretty far from the sensor, but shows how its supposed to be centered. Whenever I get under it again I'll check with the calipers and probably close the current gap a little anyway...probably get an extra "oomph" in speed if the current setup is farther than it should.

I think that with the Pros, since it doesnt have that extra mechanism to lift it, they're more commonly configured the same without it falling out of place.

2021-08-31 14.51.48 (1) (resized).jpg2021-08-31 14.51.48 (1) (resized).jpg2021-08-31 16.16.30 (1) (resized).jpg2021-08-31 16.16.30 (1) (resized).jpg
#8384 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thanks, but I'm still struggling to understand what you are talking about with " the bearing popped off" - there is no bearing in the assembly so I'm not understanding what you are saying was out of place.

Bushing. Sorry mind fart on terms. The copper part in the photo.

#8385 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Are you guys also checking/adjusting the field strength in the Disc test menu according to Stern's recommendations?

I'll check for that setting. Was using the default factory installed.

#8397 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Did I get the wrong kit to fix the level of my spinning disc? I have a premium and they sent me a kit for the pro. That’s confusing too, because the pro disc doesn’t even raise. I guess pro owners are having disc level issues too?
[quoted image]

Think mine said pro too. Those are the important parts anyway to level it and should be the same ones across all builds. The carrier was the biggie when people's spinner would slant.

#8405 2 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

So, I raised the machine but I still have quite a lot of drop offs from the rail after the Gauntlet ramp that feeds the upper flipper. Seems like super clean shots with high speed are more prone to fall off the wire form.
Also the feed from to the upper flipper if it makes it all the way has gotten worse and half the time it doesn't drop and just roll to the upper flipper but hits something and moves out to the right almost out of reach of the upper flipper.
Not sure if is to close to the left and hitting that or if it hits that little one way gate on the entrance to the tower shot on the right.
Kinda mortified bending stuff around cause I don't want any of the weld points to pop.
Any insight or ideas?

I would try reseating the wireform first if you havent tried that yet. Maybe something was forced into position giving it an off bend somewhere. You mentioned that it started happening after cleaning and waxing, so not sure if anything was disassembled. I know when I made adjustments and did a thorough cleaning, I didnt put a couple of ramps "just right" and it affected random exits/etc. And just spitballing ideas, also check for smoothness of the rail and from within the guide that goes behind the gauntlet. Who knows if a little bit of debris or rough edge could be giving it just the right amount of bump to have it lose its path. Would suck having to bend the wireform, as who knows at where the kink would be causing it.

Since it happens enough times, can you take a video of it falling off? Might be able to get more info that way.

#8408 2 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I just looked closer at it again, and I think you are right that it is too close to the ball guide - I probably moved it just a tad while cleaning, I didn't take anything off. I still am afraid that I'll end up with a pretty box of parts instead of a pinball machine when I start taking pieces off the top. I'll adjust it on Sunday and try to take some videos.
Regarding the wire form itself, it seems when it's slow it works just fine, I think I have to take a video of it as well and see where it drops off.
The misses will be thrilled to hold the phone and filming while I play
Thank you Sleal16 and EaglePin , I appreciate the help!

Good thing about that wireform is that its only held together at three spots, so its quick to take off and put back on. Before having your wife record while you play, try seeing if you can feed a ball manually by hand to force it to replicate the issue, or at least to see if its not a smooth ride down the rail.

#8412 2 years ago

Crazy how such minor adjustments can make or break some shots/rejects (making the game lose some charisma). I had replaced all the rubbers a couple of days ago and ever since then, most Black Panther shots that fail making it up would hit one of the rubbers/posts on the way back down in such a manner that it would go almost dead center towards the flippers. Made it hard to save from draining. I'm still learning how to nudge, and it made those shots very frustrating. It started getting on my wife's nerves as well. I think even if were comfortable nudging, having that to worry about all the time on incomplete shots would suck still. I loosened that post today to push it a very slight amount towards the playfield and it eliminated the issue completely. Man...like a millimeter or two was all it took to change the experience.

#8414 2 years ago
Quoted from AiriusTorpora:

Very common for a larger rubber to make a ball rolling down the side that did not make it up the black panther ramp to go straight down the middle. You pretty much need to adjust the rubber so a ball just rolling under gravity doesn't skip off it, or just git gud at the nudge. it is not part of the actual play of the machine that missed shot is supposed to punish you. Some are, but that one is not.

Yeah, if was a big change after 500+ or so plays. Thankfully got it back to normal. I had a similar experience with a Mando pro at an arcade a month ago. Ball exiting the left path/orbit always hit the post and shot it straight down the middle. I hated playing it. I felt punished for normal progression shots of the game. Horrible first experience and thought it was the design of it. Went to another arcade a couple of weeks later and the Mando there didn't have that effect and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

#8424 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

What is the issue the pro is having?

Doctor Strange spinning disc leveling with the pf. The guy I was responding to had requested the leveling kit for his premium/LE but the parts he received were labeled for a Pro machine. Its the same kit for any system type.

#8438 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

holy moly. This metal disc is the nuts!!!!
[quoted image]
will add a clip tomorrow!

Nice! Yeah had the same experience with the mind gem, multipliers, MB and super disc the first day of the install. Forgot the amount but had gotten like a 150M super disc from all those smooth spins. My wife hated me for a bit after that. She's still trying to beat it

#8446 2 years ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

Good point, forgot to mention. Both right/left flipper power is 255
Total plays: 378
Left flips: 36,404
Right flips: 34,995

Since you already replaced the stops and sleeves, I'd say check the alignment to the pin hole and how smooth you can manually move the flipper. If the flipper bushing is busted and/or the part that fastens the flipper pole underneath the playfield is not set at the right distance from the bushing, it could lose some power there.

#8449 2 years ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Has anyone bought and installed the Mezel Mods Speaker light kit? I couldn’t find the instillation instructions so I found something similar on YouTube. It says to connect the power to CN9 but there’s something plugged in that already….any advice? Do I unplug what there and plug in speaker power supply?

Here's some info Doug has provided for the cn9

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Power-Type-11.html

#8455 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

After defeating Thanos - I was able to keep it going! New record on Super Victory Laps and third game over 4 Billion!
[quoted image]

Thats freaking awesome. I need to go back and watch some of your vids and learn some stuff. I'm hoping to hit a billion by end of year, but we'll see.

#8459 2 years ago

Curious, hows most people's sound quality on the game? Since I got the game, its had some persistent rough artifacts kinda sounding like crackling. With most of the audio its a little subtle but with louder voices and other clips its more apparent. At first I thought it was the speakers and I was going to deal with them at some point later, but when I installed the headphone jack and had a few games off of that, its the exact same. I tried changing some of the random settings but still can't seem to clean it up. Not sure where to look exactly.

#8462 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yeah, me and a couple other Pinsiders have this same issue. I upgraded my speakers to Pinwoofers and I still get the "crackling" sound... Seems to be just a flaw in the game. They might address it with the new code that includes insider connected but who knows.

Alrighty, wont waste more time fiddling with it =)

Thanks!

#8468 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

My game recently started getting massive airballs when hitting the sanctum target. Sometimes even hitting the flasher right above it or banging on the ramps. Looking thru the thread I see this happens quite a bit but I didn't see a long term solution to it. Has anyone found one? I have checked the disk is level. Thanks

Besides the disc level, check that the sanctum target didnt get slightly bent from repeated use. might need to get slightly bent back in if thats the case.

#8484 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Would love Stern to remaster the sound on AIQ, but I no longer have the noise issues by using the following direct Spike 2 connections, instead of using the stock in-line sound connection. But agree the cracking noises etc shouldn’t be there on the regular inline system using CN1 & CN4. Stern should remaster the sound so you don’t have to use CN5 for a direct connection.
But just added new wiring harness from Pinsound directly connected to my Spike 2 board and must say, the sound has come alive to the next level. So much better than when the sound went inline through CN1 & CN4 regular connection. Which sounded muddy and muffled somewhat by comparison to a Spike 2 direct CN5 board 7 pin connection splitting the back box speakers and the subwoofer directly amplified through separate amplifiers. Now that AIQ sound track is quite good! dinot gave me the idea. Cracking noises etc now gone.
This is a photo of the same setup on my Batman, which I did exactly the same on AIQ. You can see the wiring harness coming off Spike 2 direct connection CN5. I was going to make the wiring harness myself, but then learned Pinsound already makes them, so ordered a set for every machine and wow, the sound is amazing now! Can hear sounds not really distinguishable before.
[quoted image]

So going stock speakers/woofer I'm guessing you need more than just the harness, right? The harness looks to take in the aux connection and converts it into the pin header. If the current setup has it going wired straight into CN1/CN4, then I need to change that pin header into an aux in order to use the harness. In your batman photo you have an amp, so think thats doing the work there on the conversion. Like...I might just leave as is till I get a bigger fix, as the issue with the headphones on its header is the same as the cn1/4 connection.

#8488 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

The harness has two output 3.5mm female connections. One for back box speakers and one for the Subwoofer. You may plug into the harness any amp you wish. There’s a good option $89 amp on Amazon.
Spike 2 direct sound connection is worth the effort, because the sound upgrade is so much audibly better it’s not even close. My TMNT has a range of sounds that came alive with the direct connection. Batman’s flat mono track, made a 180 sound wise. AIQ leaps over the regular connection. Unfortunate that Stern provides, but does not use the CN5 connection they put on the board.

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Use the pinnovators spike 2 adapter. Used them on all my stern spike 2 games so far. Works awesome and only $35 plus shipping.

Cool, i'll mess around with these options. If I add the amp, might rewire the headphone jack and volume control to fit in as well.

#8491 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Thunderbird it looks like you are running a new amp and not just the cable, right? What amp are you using to power the speakers now?
I'm sure Stern is using the same preamp line out signal from C5 as they are for their own amplifiers, including headphone. This would imply the Stern amp is creating the poor sound quality.
Upgrading to a Pinsound plus on my Twilight Zone was a huge upgrade. I haven't looked into something similar for Spike 2 Sterns yet. I have upgraded speakers and external sub on all my pins as well. The sound quality on my AIQ and Deadpool isn't bad actually...

Ok, adjusted my pinside searches and think i found the right info from pinkmunk: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden

It has a god explanation of what I'm hearing too. I'll play with making the harnesses this weekend and see how much of an improvement I can hear. And yeah, its not that the audio is bad, but I "lose" sleep knowing or believing that something could be improved by me, lol. I have very acute hearing (its a curse), so it stands out, more-so with headphones. If after the fixes/options are exhausted still sounds the same, think I can rest easy knowing that its out of my control.

#8500 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Ok, adjusted my pinside searches and think i found the right info from pinkmunk: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden
It has a god explanation of what I'm hearing too. I'll play with making the harnesses this weekend and see how much of an improvement I can hear. And yeah, its not that the audio is bad, but I "lose" sleep knowing or believing that something could be improved by me, lol. I have very acute hearing (its a curse), so it stands out, more-so with headphones. If after the fixes/options are exhausted still sounds the same, think I can rest easy knowing that its out of my control.

Yup, tried a quick amp and made a rough harness to connect CN5 connection to it along with the speakers.....its gave the speakers more oomph and that was neat and all, but it made the slight crackle more evident in some of those pitches. So yeah looks to be more embedded into either the files or the processing and I'll just leave it alone from there. I'm just nitpicky, but can rest better knowing it looks to be out of what I can fiddle with it for now.

#8504 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

That’s strange, because when I did it, it took it away completely. Wonder if you got the pin order connections correctly? That tiny wire is hard to affix into the tiny 7 pin molex connector correctly. That’s why I just ordered it from Pinsound, instead of doing it myself.

I'll test the harness in a different environment and see if it my connection points. I spliced them accurately, so I believe the harness should be fine but who knows. I had found an existing 7pin molex and just cut the cable and soldered the ends of that and the one going into the amp. I'll order the pinsound just to have on hand for something random later, but wanted to see if I could narrow things down quicker instead of waiting for the cable to come in.

Quoted from awesome1:

It wouldn't hurt to try a fresh full firmware download on a new SD card.

Yeah, worth a shot. I have a spare 32gb still.

#8506 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRat:

Hello fellow Pinvengers - I joined this club on Friday with a Premium with only 101 plays on it. Unfortunately it feels like a bit of a high maintenance lemon so far. Early today the left flipper stuck and when I inspected I found that the whole linkage was no longer connected, checked in the cab and the bolt had fallen right out of it, so that was a WTF moment and a fun time getting it reassembled and tightened. Then tonight after I got home the spinner completely stopped registering spins - no movement shows up on the test at all, though the sensor board is still blinking and the raise/lower motor is working. I'm going to have to dig into it more tomorrow, but kinda frustrated. I did not see a key post about that specific issue with the spinner - has anyone run into it not seeing movement in the spinner at all?

It's mostly that disc that's picky on alignment. It's reliant on it being leveled and having proper spacing between the tip and the sensor. That has been one of the bigger PITA from folks in this game, at least from what I've read through this thread. Once it's set just right, it can be pretty reliable. Worst case is if the bushing carrier is having issues keeping the copper bushings in place, it can tilt the spinner and maybe cause the problem you described. It seems that Stern improved the design later in production, as the replacement they had sent me was miles better than the one mine came with.

The flipper issue can't really say it's a problem with AIQ as far as a high maintenance lemon, as that could have been easily from previous owner or at factory assembly... Which could have been any machine, not just game. Main thing that's recommended (once everything is reassembled), is changing the stop coils. The ones Stern use for their machines aren't that durable and this game relies on decent strength to make several of the shots. I had gotten my AIQ at 250-ish plays and one stop had gotten pretty busted and the ramps were almost unmakable. I replaced those early and now at 1.5k plays still running smoothly.

#8541 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

Question, maybe I'm losing my mind but I'm hoping not. The skillshot up the tower which is the Antman skillshot that starts at a million and goes up 500k with each make moving forward and also adds 5 to 10 seconds of ball save time etc, isn't there anymore? It just disappeared? I even did a factory restore in the hopes I would get it back, but nope, its gone? Now when I hit the tower off the plunge it just gives the arc reactor and then each shot beyond that is just a ball lock for Iron Man multi ball. Its like the Antman skillshot never existed? Any help would be awesome as I'm going slightly mad

Make sure you dont have something like the disc spinner or a random opto triggering on its own. It sees it as the ball "hitting" that and removes the skill shot since you normally lose that opportunity if you hit a shot prior to the skill shot. When my dr strange disc used to get misaligned, that would sporadically happen to me. As you plunge, look at your score to see if you're getting "ghost" points. If you are, then yeah that would be it.

#8563 2 years ago
Quoted from berki089:

Maybe this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything: I own the Avenegers AIQ Premium and my Strange Disk is a bit loose in this little brass ring. Actually I can move it a bit in all directions and during the game it is not flush with the playfield but bending down to the bottom. I recorded a little video to show you what I mean.
Do you have the same with your machines or is this something I have to fix? I see airballs sometimes as the disk acts like a little ramp this way.

Thanks!

Mine had that issue on the copper part on both ends. The way yours is moving in that video it looks like its the underside thats fallen off. A "quick" fix is to use some very small amount of super glue on the inside of the copper bushing. Just enough to make contact with the carrier assembly without it spilling over and getting on the disc rod. Several people, me included, had to get a replacement assembly from Stern. It was a lot more leveled as well. So theres that OEM warranty replacement (hopefully still covered), or as an upgrade, 1956PINHEAD sells an aftermarket carrier as well as a new disc assembly if you want to go that route as well. The disc mod has been discussed in the past few pages.

#8578 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Flipper power is at the max of 255 which appears to be the factory default. It happens right from the first game so I don’t suspect it’s heat related.
I pulled the coil stop and it’s rock solid.

Thanks for checking. I’m going to try and setup a camera on it and find out why it’s rattling around in there. Or maybe I just suck at pinball.

"pulled" you mean you took it off to verify? If you did and the stop looked like it didnt have issues, as awesome1 mentioned, check that the sleeves dont look like a mess or dirty. Can lose some friction. From there next part is the alignment of the flipper that its set with that alignment hole. Lastly that you can rotate the flipper by hand without feeling friction from the flipper bat rubbing up against anything (like the bushing).

#8581 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I feel stupid for asking, but is there an indication on the playfield that Hawkeye challenge has been qualified?
Also, is there a way to tell which super modes have been played? My understanding is that playing them all will award you a MB, but I don’t see how you can tell what you have played.

Quoted from T3quila:

I think the super modes you can see on one of the info screens when you trap the ball. Hawkeye on the play field i don't know.

Think the insert thats on the path up the tower lights up. I say "think" because I know its there, but never noticed if its on when its active.

#8584 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Thanks. The grid rules are still confusing to me so trying to sort it out.

those see them like a bingo card...sorta...with the rewards. So at all standup targets up, each non-lit grid space will cycle one at a time till you hit any target. Once you hit any target (doesnt need to match the row its on), it locks in that potential reward and wont cycle to any other till you either drain or complete the three drop targets. If you complete the set, that grid spot stays fully lit then the cycling repeats again. This goes on till you complete a line in any direction. Completing the line will give you a more advanced reward and will reset the bingo card. So if you want to take advantage of one reward in particular, cradle the ball till that reward is blinking and just shoot the general area.

#8605 2 years ago
Quoted from petrieslastword:

Hey everyone,
First new Stern Pin qith an AIQ Pro (not quote ready for the Premium investment, that'll be our Deadpool next) and looking to see what the best recommended mods are. Right now we're looking to add
The Thor's Hammer that lights up when multi-ball is active:
https://cointaker.com/products/avengers-infinity-quest-pinball-illuminated-interactive-thor-hammer
The lightup Captain America Shield:
https://cointaker.com/products/avengers-infinity-quest-pinball-illuminated-capt-america-shield
As well as Iron Man:
https://cointaker.com/products/iron-man-pinball-illuminated-iron-man-mod
And these ramp lights are a "must have" for my wife:
https://mezelmods.com/collections/avengers-infinity-quest-pinball/products/avengers-infinity-quest-pinball-ramp-illumination
Considering the Sanctum and Avengers Tower upgrades, but they are pricey, and considering attempting our own 3D print on those instead. Has anyone gone thagt route? Any other mods you'd say are a "must"? A lot to dig into, but we're very excited for the new machine and want to make it our own a bit.

I did the white translucent drop targets with the lights from mezel. My wife was surprised by how much she liked it in person vs when I showed her photos of what was getting purchased. If your wife has the ramp lights as a "must", think the drop targets can fit well in that lighted theme as well.

Visual mods I havent done much outside of that but I'm also going down that route of building out my 3d models for the avengers tower at least. Wanted to give the windows a translucent look. Had just gotten into resin printing a few months ago and love the output on those things. Sanctum building I wasnt sure of what to do. I love Mezel's but also dont want to lose the spotlight over the disc, so trying to decide what to do there.

Considering how much we love the game and its probably going to stick around for a good while, I'm going to slowly draw/build out a complete replacement for the back skyline of the city. I'll get to that project once we hit holiday season for work. Right now only have time for maybe 3-4 side projects.

#8648 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Good grief this game is good. Why didn’t any of you tell me this a while ago?

Quoted from Insanity199:

The love/hate relationship doesn't go away! I have had several 1 billion plus games in my 2 months of ownership but there are days where I really want to hate this game. It can be brutal but as you say, when you do have a great game, it feels so good. It's the brutality that keeps me coming back for more.

I had a little bit of remourse at first about the Premium Extras, but I think the Pro is a better playing game. The Spinner raising looks cool but just slows things down, and the Marvel Ramp even modded still only hits 90%. Putting that money into Toys for the Pro has been a much better investment.

Oh man, thats where I'm at with the Marvel ramp....lots of the love/hate of this game for me is that one. I can imagine just being the spinner would be a lot quicker and more reliable shots (super more reliable)...but at the same time when you get the loop shot just right, it feels very satisfying.

#8654 2 years ago

I would probably replace the coil if I were in your shoes just to rule it out and save my sanity. $15 part and just a little quality time

Or for a quick test to rule out the coil before ordering one, swap the coils among the flippers to see if the issue persists. Kinda narrow down the possible kinks

#8657 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I assume the tdiddy 3D printed mod helps in a similar fashion, but my DIY Lexan mod for the Captain Marvel ramp has eliminated all rejects on strong shots... I do have "weak" shots that don't make it all the way up, come back down still (sometimes SDTM ). But no frustration or reliability issues on the CM shot for me. I do also keep playfield cleaned and waxed often. Also - a little "tweaking" of the wireform mount to the left-front of the ramp can help eliminate rejects.
[quoted image]

Most of mine are weak in accuracy as i still kinda suck at precision. I have a printed piece for the fix, but most of my rejects just comes from not hitting it dead center going up the wireform. And if its not a proper feed, I've had frequent shots make it almost halfway up the loop then just return back down. Havent played the Pro but I'm assuming that in comparison its more forgiving in completing the exit.

#8659 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Yeah, I haven't played the Pro yet either and agree it is most likely more forgiving. In my case, the Captain Marvel loop is the best shot in the game and one of my favorites in all of pinball!

It has a very unique sound pattern as it travels that path...give me little moments of joy just hearing it.

#8672 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Unless that's supposed to be a "." and not a ","! Must be a typo on their end. 800.000 RPM could happen. 800,000 nope.

Heh, yeah has to be. As a stretch of a possibility could be lifetime accrued rpm scores, but that wouldn't make sense.

Also.... What a game we just had. Ball 1 just about everything clicked. Got 4 gems and lost the power to Thanos. With the extra ball got it back and then..... All down hill from there. That streak of shots on the first one though was amazing. Started sweating in the excitement. My wife got caught up in the adrenaline and she did an awesome job as well. Think she beat her personal best.

I wasn't really going to but might get into the insider connected stuff for this one. It's unfortunate that since I play a lot more than her, it's hard for her to get her initials up there. At least this way she can track her progression.

#8684 2 years ago

I have about 300 plays on my premium I've twice had to go searching for screws to the plastic shield that goes in front of the capt marvel ramp. Seems like these are really prone to loosening up and falling out. It doesn't seem like being backed by the opto plastic housing is strong enough for the vibrations that part gets. Has anyone found a way to secure them better?

Thats weird, we've had maybe 1k games in the past few months and nothing like that. You can try using threadlocker. Just makes it a little harder to remove later if you need to

#8714 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Having some trouble with my Dr. Strange disc on a Pro model. The disc will spin and register correctly, but if the disc stops with the post at 11 o'clock if looking at it from the players position at the front of the game, it will constantly register points. I am not sure what kind of adjustment if any can be done. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Thats an alignment issue between the tip of the spinner rod and the sensor right underneath it. if its slightly angled, the magnet registers as though its movement. Check to see if its either the sensor that looks off or its at the carrier that holds the rod thats misaligned and tilts the whole thing slightly. If its at the carrier, theres different things to look at. Check the copper bushings at the end of it to make sure its solidly in place and not falling off, and also that the housing assembly that holds the carrier at straight 90 degree upgright to the playfield. I guess first check where you think the tilt might be happening and let us know, as theres more specifics on what to adjust according to where the problem stems from.

#8736 2 years ago

Slowly...creeping....to...one....billion club.

Heck of a two games this morning. First one hit 430 mil and broke three records that have been stagnant for a while, then the second one hit 632mil with 4 gems and got just GC. Finally got around to giving it a light cleaning as I've been lazy this past month and it made a crazy difference. Had let it slip slowly and really didnt notice the gradual "fade" of speed the game was getting.

2021-11-07 11.51.16 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.16 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.44 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.44 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.50 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.50 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.57 (resized).jpg2021-11-07 11.51.57 (resized).jpg
#8738 2 years ago

The sling ring on my relatively new AIQ Pro is suddenly loose and popping up a little bit on the playfield. Is this an easy fix or something that's going to be more problematic?
I love this game but the amount of repairs I've had to do in my short time owning it has been very disappointing.
Just not really sure what the fix is here.

sling ring...dr strange spinner? That one is a common thing. Are the copper bushings loose that keeps the rod in place? If so, an "easy" fix is using a very light amount of super glue to attach it more securely into the carrier. Just make sure not to put too much or that it spills outside of the busing inside ring as it can get on the rod. Long term solution is asking Stern for a replacement carrier. I had that problem and the new carrier they sent me had the copper bushing properly fixed.

Yeah, I feel yah on having to make a lot of adjustments. I had to do the same on mine for the first month, but once everything was adjusted and upgraded, no issues with like 1k games into it now. The big issues with mine was the spinner, subway carrier, and the coil stops+sleeves i had to fix. What other repairs have you had to do to it so far?

#8742 2 years ago

My machine came without the flippers working correctly when I got it. Ended up being an issue with a node board so for now I have one of the connections disconnected on the GI lights. It just means the lower play field is a little dim, but at least it works.
When it's plugged in it just goes through an endless reboot cycle. At the moment I'm waiting on them to have the node board in stock to replace it.
You know I always just assumed that the disc was meant to represent the sling ring which is the thing in the comics that allows Doctor strange to travel the way he does. I guess they never really call it that do they?

Heh, yeah sling is right just rarely see it referenced as that...moreso the physical/mechanical description. Was just making sure. But yeah, check that the top or bottom bushing is fixed on the carrier ends. When it looks to have popped up all of a sudden or if its slanted randomly, thats almost guaranteed the issue. On my first week of ownership I put a very small dot or two of gorilla super glue and pressed it firmly onto the carrier to make sure doesnt adhere slanted. Later on I got a replacement carrier and also the upgraded carrier someone here offers and both of those were more permanent solutions.

#8759 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

It definitely is only one shot of the CM loop required. I would guess it's the exit switch not registering 100% of the time.

Quoted from c818919taylor:

Switches read fine.
If the answer is three times around, thats fine…except that everyone else is once…………………

Though I think to start binary event it would need to trigger both entrance and exit (sounds right but could be misremembering). Does sound like maybe a software issue if the switches are 100% correct and triggers one event correctly but not the other. You mention 6th shot though the CM shot is the 7th...but do reference after the drop targets so that sounds right.

Quoted from awesome1:

I forgot to mention that I had an issue with the exit switch previously on shots that were "too fast" not registering. As EaglePin mentioned, a slight bend of the arm should do it.

Theres that too. speed and arm of the switch

#8784 2 years ago
Quoted from ckeck:

Purchased a Pro model new a few months ago and noticed an issue right out of the box. The portal disc spinner has a raised lip that is significant and whenever a ball is shot across it with that side, it launches the ball across the playfield somewhere. Sometimes up to the ramps, across the table entirely, and most concerning, into the glass with enough force to cause me to cringe. It looks like one impact from a flying ball even broke the Dr. Strange Sanctum plastic riser being the spinner,
Curious if this has been an issue on any other machines. I’ve looked at the mechanism a few times and tried to adjust it to no avail. It looks unbalanced entirely.
If anyone has any insight I’d greatly appreciate it. I’ve sent an email to Stern about it but no response as of yet.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from awesome1:

Fairly straight forward adjustment. Follow this link and click on the pdf. Page 2 discusses leveling the disc. Usually need a strap wrench or large pliers to loosen the Jam nut and retighten.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/84#post-6052220
Ask questions here. Several of us have done this.

awesome1's post is dead on as long the whole thing is equally lifted off the playfield. That adjustment nut will raise/lower it. You do mention unbalanced though, does it look to be lopsided? The other common issue people had with that carrier is the bushings coming loose. If it does, it will not keep the rod upright/perpendicular and you'll see one edge be level with the pf, while the other tilted. This photo was when i had that issue. That bushing problem has been reported on each version of the game, since they all use the same carrier assembly. You can either ask for a replacement from stern, use a slight dab of super glow on the inside ring of the bushing as temporary fix, or get an upgraded mod from here https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1341-precision-pinball-prod/05331-dr-strange-disc-bearing-carrier.

Do check both rings on each end to make sure they're not wiggling about.

2021-08-31 16.16.30 (2) (resized).jpg2021-08-31 16.16.30 (2) (resized).jpg
#8794 2 years ago

Hmm, so looks like the Titan replacement posts bands/rubbers are a no go. They're so thin and the balls hit them with such strong force that it starts breaking apart the post till it exposes the metal rod underneath.

Just need to decide on the other manufacturers replacements. What have you guys had more success with? The rings for the slingshot and behind the drop targets feel a little weak as well.

#8795 2 years ago

Oh, and part of the bigger issue with the posts falling apart from impact is the debris it causes on the pf. More flyballs

#8798 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

I ended up putting the factory post sleeves back on the ramp and loop posts, I found the titans too bouncy and a little tighter (larger?) for shots. No complaints with the stern post rubbers on this game-

Yeah, the original ones are fine in gameplay, was just reducing the black smears and stuff that results in those rubbers.

#8801 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I like the "perfect Play" rubbers from Pinball Life, but they are silicone and similar to Titans.
For post sleeves and the small post rings I use Super Bands which last much, much longer. I also use a Super Band for the upper left flipper on AIQ since it takes a beating.

Quoted from CashMoney:

I've heard a lot of great things about Cliffys premium sleeve posts. They're a bit thicker and last longer than Titans. I'd give then a try:
https://www.passionforpinball.com/colorsleeves.htm

Ooooo, hadnt seen the cliffys before. Ok, great! Will prob order those from cliffy and the superbands for the other stuff. Slingshots while a little soft been working fine, but the ring behind the drop shots pretty much does nothing. Thanks guys

#8804 2 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

here everything is exhausted and with a long waiting time. I had a problem deciding ..... I'm sure I'll go for a premium version. The problem is that everyone recommends gozilla because it will be a machine that will keep its value high and it seems that it is a very good machine but aesthetically in avengers it seems like a work of art and although everyone tells me that it is a very complex machine, I like difficult machines that are a challenge ..... is a difficult choice for me.

It's a tough choice that usually is easier to spend time on than getting a mixed bad of opinions. Like for me, from my first ever have in avengers to several months after, I can't get enough of it. Godzilla I enjoy, but it doesn't draw me much in as much as AIQ does.

Godzilla call outs, animations, video, etc are a blast, but for some reason I prefer the gameplay of avengers over Godzilla atm. I'll get more games in on GZ this weekend see if something else clicks for me. I might be a little biased because been a huge comic person since late 80s.

#8807 2 years ago

Maybe you like games that have a little bit of stop and go in them to get a breather here and there. I like that about AIQ because you get the small bits of downtime from the subway, the tower, some capt america pop bumpers, ant man up kicker, etc.
Godzilla is almost 100% flow IMO.
Do you like twilight zone? which has alot of stop and go... I find that too much stop and go.

Could be the stop and go, maybe. The parts I enjoy about AIQ which gives me joy are none of those mentioned ones. Subway only happens when starting a mode or collecting a portal lock. But when things click, it can be non stop shot action that keeps feeding to one of the 3 flippers. You have 5 different shots that keeps the ball controlled when you can keep hitting them. 6 if you count the tower, but the speed in which it drops into the upper flipper makes it hard for me to hit two others consistently, so I avoid it unless I want to get a lock in.

#8809 2 years ago

I dislike the one element of the premium because you sometimes can't control when you enter a mode because anything that falls into the capt bumpers says, hey it is time... but I like the capt marvel ramp for the pass from left to right flipper because it goes to the inlane rather than the black panther ramp on the pro. I also like that you always get full credit for a capt marvel ramp rather than based on # spins.
I like the premium more overall, and am still waiting for mine to be shipped
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"c31fe015861125d975940deb24702850b6e60e2e-1637199594-1800"};
//]]>

hopefully to not be destroyed this time.

A lot of great stuff in the marvel loop, especially when hitting it consistently. Sucks and your prem, hopefully not a long wait

#8835 2 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

a question, when you lose a gem can you not get it back during the game? What is the use of obtaining the gems?

If you get the soul gem, you can replay a lost gem later at the risk of losing the soul one if you fail at the repeat attempt. Second way is the progressed level of the Hawkeye challenge. Lvl1 gives you portal lock, and lvl 2 gives you a gem that you would have lost. And I think theres another way as well, but dont remember. I was playing yesterday, had missed the soul gem, and later on something awarded it to me.

#8837 2 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

I have to read the rules well ... it's good to be able to recover the gems, otherwise I don't see the point of the game hahaha

Ah, it was the black order MB that can reward specifically the soul gem if lost.

#8840 2 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

If you successfully defend your gem(s) in Thanos Attacks you win back a gem you had previously lost.
I think it’s the third Hawkeye challenge that awards the list gem, but you can skip over the second challenge (for an extra ball) by pressing the action button.
If you don’t have the soul gem going into BOM, you can win it by getting a super jackpot. But watch out, that will lead to Thanos Attacks. I think you can get the soul gem by winning Battle Royale too.

Ooo, good to know about Thanos attacks... Haven't fully finished that mode before

Ok, so level 3 for Hawkeye. I always skipped the lvl 1 when available so I thought it was just second challenge.

This weekend was bad for me past few games... Can't make many shots. Taking a break

#8865 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Just bought an AIQ and found this in the bottom - any idea what this is from? It looks like it sheared off of something.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Might be from the subway teeth mech

#8875 2 years ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Just got the email from Stern for the new code v1.03.0. Anyone know what’s in it? Any new gameplay features?

The couple of games I'lve looked up the new codes for, including this one, seems to be just for Insider Connected for when they end up fulfilling those kits to retrofit the games.

#8881 2 years ago
Quoted from potgar96:

Does anyone know where I can download code for AIQ Premium V1.02.0 Dated: 04/13/21 Thanks

02 had super minor fixes for Battle Royale, but this should work:

https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/avengers_infinity_le-1_02_0.spk

filename says LE, but its the same code for both Prem/LE. Thats from the fileserver stern uses for their downloads.

1 week later
#8913 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinj135:

I actually am getting credit for it but it’s just not sticking consistently

On the hardware side of things, yeah check whaat Plungerboy mentions.

Along with that, are you getting ball lock registers? or some of the other shots? At least from playing (havent looked at technical specs), I think arc reactor shots dont have to hit the highest opto. Do a switch test with all the optos and that they trigger cleanly and consistently. Play without the glass and roll the ball yourself and see how the game reacts and if theres at least some mag hold if it goes up in a controlled fashion. If it seems like its "trying" to hold the ball but not enough force to grab it fully, then helps narrow down the issue.

#8931 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Thank you SirSnarf for the awesome detailing on my AIQ Gauntlet! It looks incredible!!!
[quoted image]

Neat! Was this a replacement, or added components + paint to your original one?

#8939 2 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

What are the smaller rubber sizes that can replace these to stop them from directing the ball down the middle?[quoted image]

So those posts that hold the rubbers have some wiggle as you're tightening them. You can push them in or out slightly and hold it in its location while you re tighten. When I replaced them a couple of months ago I got a fair amount of failed BP shots center drain fairly easily. I mode those posts adjustments and it resolved the problem about 90% of the time. Only if its going at a very specific speed will it be directed towards the center, which doesnt happen often. Its a good thing as a failed BP shot should have a small chance of punishment. Though when I notice it going that speed, I'll give it a slight nudge and that usually takes care of the other 10% of return balls from that path.

#8965 2 years ago

Ah! First time making it to final Thanos mode. Along with that, first beat of the game. Was such a weird one because I could not get consistent shots for combos/etc but most of my shots I could recover safely without draining. GC ~840.... So close, just a little more for 1b milestone

#8990 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Just joined the club with a premium and I had a question for those who have the topper. I thought this topper had a extra mode added if you collect all the gems but it seems when I collect a gem(during a game)my topper doesn’t light that gem up permanently. All the gem lights flash during game play and in attract mode so not sure if it’s in the settings.

There is a setting just for the topper in the game adjustments. It's #57. See if that's enabled

#9001 2 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

Sorry just got the topper and want to make sure it works - which gem is collected for which characters? My first gem has never been collected to light but the other 5 have. I’m brand new so I assume I just need to get deeper into the game to choose that gem? Just don’t know what I’m looking for to start the topper mode. Thanks!

Collecting the gems is across any game you play. It's not character specific, so as long as you collect it, it'll add it to the mode. If by first you mean the far left one, that's the time gem I believe you're missing.

1 week later
#9018 2 years ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

This happened to me yesterday. I couldn’t find any response to this. Any ideas on how to firm up these screws?

Thread locker blue would help. It shouldn't be happening, as it's been very, very few people that's reported it, but if anything a temporary adhesive would keep them in place.

#9035 2 years ago

First couple of months of owning it was a learning curve..both starting pretty early on as a novice player and learning strategy for the game. Depending on if I can get 0, 1 or 2 ball locks will affect what gem I go for first. If 0 and not feeling the shots, reality gem is the easiest one...with ball locks and prepping a MB, can start going up in difficulty. At this point I think I'm still a novice, maybe reaching average..but will usually get to collect at least one gem per game.

But yeah, when this game kicks your butt...it kicks your butt and can be demoralizing. especially with gem modes not being repeatable without soul gem. working hard to almost beat one and a simple mistake will result in a quick drain...it hurts. I love that feeling though.

#9039 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

AIQ no doubt can be brutal!
I kind of look at Reality Gem the opposite way... it is one of the easier gems to collect, but you can score a lot in the mode. If I have 2 balls locked, I love to pair Reality Gem quest with Iron Man multiball. Odds are good you will complete the gem quest just trying to complete the mutliball (spin the disk to increase Reality Gem multiplier) and go into "Victory Laps" (keep spinning the disc!)... scoring even more points!
Some people like to "intentionally" lose a gem to Thanos Attacks... this would be the gem I recommend if you are going to use that strategy since you can get big points a second time... if all goes well!
Since I have AIQ Premium, I almost exclusively try to put the Reality gem on Captain Marvel and try to boost up to 10X!

All great strategy there! Once I feel like more shots are more frequently repeatable, will def move the gem order around along with placement changes to work on point scoring vs game progression. Currently the reality on the drop targets early in the game gets me a lot of quicker super modes and other bonuses that have stacked nicely.

#9057 2 years ago

To add or confirm Eaglepin:

1. That post....it has enough wiggle when tightening where its either enough to the left where it'll nudge to the left flipper on the way back down or go to the right flipper if its tightened at its farthest right position. Somewhere in the middle of those two extremes you'll get HUGE amount of SDTM returns. I have mine more towards the right, and only about 5% of the return shots I have issues with. I've gotten used to its return speed and trajectory where if it feels like it would be an issue, I just give it a nudge...else I dont worry about it.

3...Not sure what you mean by stuck ball. the free one thats supposed to hit the target? the fixed one should always be stationary, so not sure what consitutes as stuck. Outside of that, never had an issue with return hits from the fixed ball unless at a VERY specific angle.

4. Ramp rejections....yeah its a risk when not hitting a clean shot but the better question is if you feel like clean shots are getting rejected. If they are, something with flipper alignment or power needs adjustment. Currently my biggest issue is the slightly bouncy-ness of the plastic on the black widow ramp. Too strong of a shots will hit the plastic on the way up and reject it when it shouldnt. I need to add in a little bit of re-enforcement.

5. To reinforce what eaglepin mentions, its speed and angle specific. Shouldnt happen often though. I know it rarely happens with my shots. It has to be going into the pop bumper at a very specific speed to skip all the bumpers and posts to go SDTM. This can be adjusted by pitch and side-to-side tweaks.

#9060 2 years ago
Quoted from KC_Green:

Thank you, both. I will play with the rubber post, for sure. That makes sense. I will also play around with the pitch in by directions.
I will also research the flipper alignment. The power is maximized, bubble is showing level, but still getting high number of ramp rejections compared to other games.
Agree also that time will help on those timely placed nudges. Thanks again! I think these will help. I want to love this game, but it definitely needs some tweaks.

For sure. My first 2-3 weeks it was a drain monster with so many little issues (rejects, slings, etc), but after addressing them all it's been a dream to play and haven't had to mess with anything for months. Game seems to be more sensitive than average.

#9073 2 years ago

I went straight to that connection and added an amp. Made everything stand out so much better, including the crackles. Made that several times more noticeable

#9087 2 years ago

^ yup if its not qualifiying other shots as well, def the switch above the ant-man scoop. I know in my ant-man ejects it hits the little metal switch lever thing, so could have the potential of bending it where it has issues with triggering the switch. Guess first do a switch test to make sure you can manually trigger it, and if you can, then check the position and mounting of the whole thing to make sure a ball passing through triggers it.

#9100 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Hey Lermods ! Did you buy both the mod kit “and” the Barring Carrier part also? Probably mentioned here already somewhere but wanted to ask. Thanks

Spinning disc is great on its own...as long as the stock carrier is operating as its should. My OG carrier's copper bushing ends were both falling off and causing the disc to become uneven and not spin correctly at times, so that needed replacement. It was my first pin and wasnt sure how long Stern would take for a service request so had ordered the carrier along with the disc. Well, both carriers came in around the same time so tested both. Disc upgrade+working stock carrier was a great improvement, and using both part upgrades was even way more smoother. I only have one issue with having such long spin times and its during the mind gem. You dont deal damage till the disc stops spinning and if you're constantly shooting and hitting it, you can go a long time without progressing. Sure the points are great, but I'm still very prone on bad shots and draining. After a good return after spinning it, I end up trapping the ball till damage is done before continuing on.

#9112 2 years ago
Quoted from Mechulus:

An example of why this game needs polish: when you match for a free game, every other game on earth will at least have a knocker or some sound effect or light show letting you know you’ve got a free game. AIQ? No sound, no lights. Just the last 2 digits of your score weakly blink on and off a few times. Come on Stern… Is there any other Stern you can think of with such a pathetic way of matching?

It's a setting that's turned off on your game. As it is, I disabled that knocker alert on mine because I don't like the intensity of it.

#9121 2 years ago

Those cables are pretty tight. make sure one or more didnt get pinched. I almost damaged mine when I was doing maintenance and was trying to put the tower back on.

#9141 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Second day of dialing in this pin. Leveled the Dr Strange disc as best I could. It’s slightly low in the front, slightly proud in the back. Oiled it with a drop or two of 3 in 1 sewing machine oil and it spins like a champ. Adjusted the sensor gap to ensure it is getting a good FSR reading all the way around.
Went over the playfield and ramps with some novus 2. Lot of crud came off. Nice and shiny now.
Checked the EOS switches on the flippers and adjusted them to open a little later.
I’ll say it again, set up makes such a difference with this pin. I was a little worried I had made a bad choice swapping my TMNT for this, but the more I get it dialed in the more I am loving the shots and lay out.
Last thing I need to work on is the black panther shot. Never seems to make it with enough steam to get up and return on the wire form from the flippers. It works off the plunge so I wonder if there is maybe an alignment issue with the guides. Then again maybe I just suck at pinball.

BP is one of those that the shot needs to be pretty clean. If you feel like you made a solid shot and loses steam at the turn, maybe the guide. If there isn't enough momentum even from the beginning, then be a slight adjustment to the flipper still. Sounds like you're almost there. Had almost gotten TMNT before playing AIQ as well and glad I made the avengers pick.

#9142 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Will do. Thank you! I sent an email to Stern for tech support for my Avengers tower ball lock lights not coming on, how long does it take to usually hear back from them?

Guess it varies with how busy they are. The list time I emailed them it was only a day or two before I heard back.

#9172 2 years ago

Mines bare too, and made in the first month of game production (LE). As far as the extra screw, check the wire form screws

#9174 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Seems to be smaller than the wire form screws

Interesting. I one see so far two screw categories that use that kind of washer. On top of posts and he spacers.

#9182 2 years ago
Quoted from jlock:

Beat up on AIQ pro tonight at least by my standards. Defeated Battle Royale, what does it take to get to Battle Thanos?[quoted image]

The one time I got there was collecting all the avengers again that activated that mode.

#9184 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Play all the Gem Quests and play Battle Royale. If you do that, you spin the disc to light Battle Thanos, and then start it like a Gem Quest.
If you possess all 6 Gems when you start it, you get a 1B point bonus.

Oh it's a disc spin... Man need to reach that point again

#9188 2 years ago
Quoted from jaygrow:

Hi guys, got a help request. My Dr. Strange disc has stopped registering any spins at all on my AIQ Premium.
My machine is about 4 months old and I installed the 1956PINHEAD metal disc and carrier a few months ago.
I upgraded to 1.03 about a week ago.
No issues until now.
Today the disc seems to have stopped registering spins. In the diagnostic menu the disc motor works but I get all zeroes on the spin- nothing registers at all.
The sensor board is in line with the shaft. The gap is unchanged (1/16")
The red LED on the sensor board flashes three blinks then a pause. All wire connections seem to be tight.
I tried my original Stern 1.02 SD card with the same results. I've played with the position of the sensor board.
Any other thoughts? I've searched and not found anything else...
TIA!

So guessing the FS: is zero also?

For comparison, the LED on my sensor board is constantly blinking, no pauses. If all the connections seem fine (even reseating), would suggest contacting support. Worst case the board might be failing just going by the difference in that light indicator

1 week later
#9211 2 years ago
Quoted from SlamtiltAB:

Every now and then my ball keeps rejecting off the black widow (Center) ramp. I took a video, slowed it down and notice the ball launches off the metal ramp, into the clear plastic above (don’t want this to break from repeated hits), then bounces down the ramp and usually SDTM. My table is at 6.8 degrees and flippers are factory power (with fans installed). Tried lowering power but then can’t make Black Panther orbit all the way up the ramp. Hoping for a solution that’s not increase the slope to 7, 7.1 but will be trying that if there’s not another fix… this games hard enough haha

One fix I've read and thought of trying out (happens every once in a while), is somehow reinforcing that plastic one way or another so it doesnt bounce the ball back down. A mod was made where it's a skyscraper on that ramp that also adds that support, but I'll try adding a spare plastic and attaching to it somehow to test out first if it helps.

#9222 2 years ago

First two balls were really short, but third one everything really clicked. All the shots felt smooth and this is my personal best on the soul gem. A little more consistency and I can feel brave enough for hard mode attempts. This game is a blast to shoot.

PXL_20220214_205816463.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220214_205816463.MP (resized).jpg
#9224 2 years ago

Nice job. I think somewhere in the upper 60's is my best. Not an easy challenge. Going in with the mind gem can be a huge help.

thanks! yeah lvl 1 Mind helped a lot. BP, drop targets and CM were where i used them on

#9248 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Please please tell me how to time the Hawkeye lvl 2 shot. I’ve yet to hit it.

Man, thats a lot of practice using the sound as a cue, in my opinion. super interesting the first time I felt confident using that audio alert I closed my eyes and I actually hit that challenge! Only that time though, months later and think I've only gotten it one other time by accident

#9253 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

After selling my GnR LE recently, I have decided to join the AIQ club. I've been told by my distributor that there is to be another run in March and he has my name on a Premium.
Anyone have any insight whether these will come off the line in early March or will it be later in the month?
I've already started to acquire the standard mods that I get for any new game. Holding off on some of the game-specific mods until I know for sure that I will have a game in hand next month... also hoping to pick up some at TPF after getting a chance to see them in person!

If it's slated in March, my guess is late. Only guessing that because their Feb production of Rush is behind 2-3 weeks it's seems. Unless they shuffle things around again

#9262 2 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

The Captain Marvel ramp is the one ramp in the game that gives most of us the trouble, and I doubt Stern is changing anything because it's by design that this shot is difficult to make. It takes a clean shot, plus a strong shot to pull it off repeatedly. However, flipper fade starts to kick in as the game play continues, and that makes it harder the longer the game is played. Installing cooling fans for the flipper coils to reduce fade is probably your best mod, that and plastic wire form helpers, but in the end it just comes down to nailing that shot in the sweet spot and it will make it around.
My advice for what it's worth is to play the game as is for a couple hundred plays, by that time you'll have figured out what you think you will want to update to dial it in for your style of play.

To add a bit to pinhead, Couple of hundred plays and make sure the Stern coil stops dont crap out earlier than it should. My game when I got it was at 150-200 games and teh stops were already shot. Multiple shots were extremely difficult, not just CM. Not sure how much that might have affected the previous owner's decision to sell it as far as not having fun with it, but as soon as I corrected those stops and added cooling fans, been a blast ever since.

#9265 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Getting a ball hung up on the end of my right wireform sometimes after a captain marvel
Shot… anyone deal with this issue?

Hung up as theres no enough momentum and slows to a halt? I had a couple of those happen when I had taken off that wireform and didnt put it back on correctly. The two pegs that go into the ant man scoop did not sit correctly and that end of the form was slightly raised. Even if its not that, might help reseatting the whole thing. It could be contorted and tight in spots.

#9286 2 years ago

We're going to put all his games up as a gauntlet. AIQ the mainstay, and swap one out with IMDN, JP, and Godzilla every month or two at home for my wife and I to spend a good amount of time in to get proper comparison.

JP at the arcade we never really liked even though we're both heavy franchise fans, but we'll see later. Currently IMDN is up for "review". One week in and we jam with it more but still prefer AIQ gameplay. 3 more weeks.

#9289 2 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Just joined the club. A frustrating thing though is the tower magnet. Is the post supposed to come up when the magnet holds the ball? I get sdtm everytime when it releases. Plus Hawkeye challenge is virtually useless. To get a shot is impossible? Any help would be great. Thx.

I learned early from the release of the tower magnet to either hold up that upper flipper or try to make a shot off of it. Its almost always SDTM if I just let it drop. Not sure if its all the time since I've integrated attempting a shot each time is that when I do forget or get distracted, I see a temporary ball save activated from the action of hitting the tower. As a way to continue playing after it drains. Dont know if its something in recent code and if its activated all the time.

Hawkeye challenge is a ....challenge. I can hit the lvl 1 challenge 1/3rd of the time, which is nice getting that extra portal lock. Sometimes I get ballsy and up the difficulty (from pressing the action button), and 1 in 10, maybe less, I'll hit it and get rewarded a lost gem mode. For that kind of reward, its meant to be difficult. It takes a lot of practice and that window to make the loop is super precise with the speed in which it drops at. Hardest shot of the game. All that can be said is keep at it. at the very least learn to hit that loop consistently from a post release and get a feel of where on that flipper its successful...then from the tower shot add in micro second early flips to compensate for that extra speed.

#9295 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can anyone explain how the topper lighting should function? Should the position of the gems on the display, match the position of the gems on the topper? It seems hard to know what gems remain to fill the topper, without the position corrosponding. See my pic below.
I collected the mind gem. I already had 3 gems lit on my topper before collecting it. No new gems lit up on my topper. But according to the display, the second from the right gem should have lit.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

No correlation to your current game. It's a mode you gain from across any game you play and you need to collect all 6 at any point to start gem mania.

The stones on the topper are, from left to right: time, space, mind, reality, soul and power

You're missing time, space and soul to complete the topper

#9296 2 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Thanks. Yeah. I've been holding the flipper up. Seems to be the only solution. Else sdtm 9 out of ten times. I'll keep at it. It's a very challenging game for sure!
By chance. Does anyone know how to clear the topper? I bought it with 4 out of 6 gems lit. Just want a fresh start.

If you just got it and don't care about the previous scores, think resetting the game to factory should clear it up.

#9314 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Scoring tips? I’m stuck around 200m even on long games going through all gem quests, soul gem, Thor and iron man multi ball, etc. I try to start quests with a portal lock but still doesn’t seem to move the needle enough. Seeing scores in the billions and I don’t get it

If you're getting all the gems and getting around 200m, might not be keeping the extra portal lock balls active long enough. If you keep at least 1 extra ball from that, each gem should be around 60mil, without taking into account any extra modes and jackpots. Also aside from gem placement for future mode gameplay, each gem has ways to increase the mode scoring. Reality gem, for example, you get significantly more points if you keep the shot multiplier maxed out at 7x on the spinner. Mind gem you release control from all the avengers before spinning the disc for each attack. Power gem you can increase the scores of the attacks by spinning the disc prior to each shot. Space and time I dont have enough experience in strats as usually I go in those halfass since those gems are the harder ones for me to tackle. Lastly soul gem you should get ~300mil if you do hard mode

I still suck at point strats since I'm just working on game progression, but any gem I'm fully loaded going into usually nets 100-300m for that single mode (then its downhill from there).

#9328 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

Hi Pinsiders
New to AIQ, lots of east / west traffic slingshot slingshot drain... any adjustments for this. Any recommended / suggested height for the back legs/feet??
Been playing lots of GZ recently, and dont find GZ nearly as bad as AIQ for east / west traffic slingshot slingshot drain type deal.
Sorry if this has been asked previously.
Thank you in advance
Regards Darren

From my experience, it boiled down to about 3 things. Pitch of the game, either increasing or decreasing the power of the slinghots, and learning which failed or returned shots deliver into the slings to mitigate its' contact. It was very drainy for me first couple of months from the slings, but without really realizing it, my game times got longer and longer and randoly would notice that the slings have been less of an issue. I'm on the same boat with IMDN at the moment. Just picked it up and man those outlane drains are brutal.

1 week later
#9371 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Just got my October 2021 build date premium and installed a shaker motor. The motor tests ok but it seems to almost never activate during gameplay. Has it not been coded much yet?

Like its weak? or in very few moments? mine seems to go off in several subtle areas. I have it leant out atm so cant verify, but believe I felt it in gem mode starts, and especially noticeable in soul gem mode.

#9373 2 years ago

How about the big moment like soul gem? That one makes the whole thing take off. If that moment isnt prounounced, i'd take a look at the hardware.

1 week later
#9419 2 years ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Hoping to join this club soon, if all goes well. I got in a deposit with Mad Pinball for what they said was their last premium of the March (and running into April apparently) production run.

I thought that's how you were *supposed* to do the secret skill shot. Not exactly by missing the drop targets, but I thought you were meant to *shoot* the loop for it, that the "secret" part is that first you fail the Tower skill shot to get the ball to the upper flipper (or a lucky bounce from the disc stud.) I was playing AIQ on location for quite a while before I looked up the rule sheet to see that you're supposed to plunge to the upper end of the Hawkeye loop.

The "official" way is plunge at just the right strength to not pass through that gate into the bumpers and take the mini hawkeye loop back down. Hitting it in reverse from a ricochet also works.

Most secret shots work as long as no other switch is activated. Should be on all of them but the moment the spinner registers points, it'll cancel the opportunity of hitting those beginning of the ball only shots.

#9423 2 years ago
Quoted from Gentax:

Just got this table and LOVE the shot flow, can someone help me understand a few quirks of the table?
1. I seem to be getting A LOT of outlane drains compared to center drains (2 to 1). Was this intentional or am I just better at saving balls from the center.
2. The Strange Disk seems harder to spin when the post is resting on the left side (closer to the upper flipper). In that area its too high to be hit by the second flipper, its protected from the left flipper and when I aim for it with the right flipper I hit the post "dead on" and as such the disk doesn't spin.
Any tips for the second part and confirmation on the first one?

Game can be a bit drainy on the outlanes. After some practice, you get a call of what bad shots are more prone to it and can better. First month or two I felt the same way. Gradually and without noticing, games were getting longer and longer and those outlanes were being a smaller part of my drained balls

The spinner... Hard to say by your description. On the 9o clock a solid shot from the right flipper should get it to spin. As the disc spins, area there positions where one side of the disc is uneven with the playfield?

#9432 2 years ago
Quoted from SgtPin18:

Get the Mind gem prior to soul gem and place it on Vision (drop targets). Then, in soul gem mode, when you get to the drop targets hit the action button and it will spot you the drop shot.

Drop targets or a lvl 1 avenger. I like to have it on Black Widow since its the easiest to rebuild in case you drain before reaching Soul Gem and have to bring her up back to lvl 1. That lvl gets you any 3 shots, not just the one the gem is placed on. My best score was when I used three action button activations for BP (since its an awkward starting setup to hit it after a plunge), drop targets, and captain marvel.

#9440 2 years ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

Does anyone have a definitive list of the advantages and perks you get for a placing a specific gem on a specific Avenger? I just read about the Mind gem spotting Soul Gem shots with the action button and didn't even know it was a thing. Seems like I have been missing so much of what this game has to offer.

Really good comprehensive rules here:

http://tiltforums.com/t/avengers-infinity-quest-rulesheet/6740#heading--gemplacing

#9443 2 years ago
Quoted from Gentax:

How about when you don't have the mind gem? I tend to fail that quest on the last shot (both times the post covered the target and I drained) Is there a reliable way to hit the drop targets. It feels like that segment is a shot sink as you need at least 2 hits to hit the targets plus and other flips to keep the ball stable and primed on the correct side. I've just had 3 soul gem quest where I got into the shot with 40+ flips and lose them ALL

its a pain in the butt for sure. Outside of getting better at aiming at it (still the risk is high), and not having mind gem, there are two other alternate ways to get a soul gem shot.

As mentioned, if you have ant-man scoop lit, that rewards the current shot. Alternatively, the other freebie that is always there once per soul gem quest is a flank attack. Try not to get that early else its wasted.

#9445 2 years ago
Quoted from Fubar:

For the mind gem quest, if you always unlight the mind-controlled avenger (shot which is flashing faster) before spinning the disc, then you won't have to make the sanctum shot to end the quest!

Woah! This is new to me. Can't wait to try this out later

#9471 2 years ago
Quoted from WillieMaysHayes:

Anyone have a pro and regret not getting a premium or feel the premium isn’t worth the upgrade? Have a pro on pre order and now doubting myself for not getting the premium.

Imo...the subway and Ant-Man scoop are neat, but think you can go without just fine. That captain marvel loop is fun a heck, and a satisfying feel, but it's so much harder than the pro spinner shot. Think that would be the more important feature you want to take into account if you want to make the upgrade.

1 week later
#9525 2 years ago

As far as non-gameplay.... The protectors people are suggesting are for key ball guides and rails that can tend to scratch up the playfield underneath it. Scoops/etc as well.

My input is if it's nib from Stern, get ahead of it and replace the coil stops. Not sure if their quality in stops have improved over the last year, but they tend to start failing really quickly. Some games you'll notice it vaguely but with AIQ, makes or breaks the game. I bought a used one with under 200 plays and it shot pretty horrible. Might have been part of the reason they got rid of it? But most of the shots were rejected bc lack of power. Looked underneath and the metal shavings everywhere. One of the stops was even loose inside the bracket.

#9535 2 years ago
Quoted from DesertPinGuy:

Hey folks. I have a new AIQ on the way and have a couple quick questions of any of the new AIQ owners or previous owners as well. The Mrs. Marvel ramp was mentioned earlier in this thread and there is a mod out there for the ramp addressing rejects. Does anyone know if STERN has made any changes in this area with this latest AIQ run? As well, has STERN made any changes at all to the build to address any previous issues?
Appreciate the input

Honestly, I did not find much of an issue with that ramp. Just a good clean shot. I added the wall there to see if it would improve the success rate but didnt really notice a difference.

#9568 2 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

I did the portal test and both switches seemed to register on open and closed. I'll lift the playfield and check the optos also.

Just random input as well if it helps any, since I had an issue with my IMDN registering weird things and giving me balls or events that I did not complete...If you're getting successful triggers, check the labeling of the switches in the test. That they correspond to the right one. My IMDN all my switches tested correctly, as far as i would pass a ball or finger on the sensor and I would get a proper reply. But, two of my optos ended up being swapped underneath in cabling.

#9572 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Recently picked up AIQ but I just can’t get into it.
Gem quests: am I supposed to be doing something other than hitting the lit arrows? Cuz damn, I’ll hit like 10 lit shots look up and I’m like 1/3 of the way to collecting that gem?!
I’m 30 games in and have lost every gem quest. I really am not that bad!
Let me phrase this a different way: someone polars AIq for the first time…what do you tell them do to?

So depending on the gem, some you can keep hitting lit shots but never progress b/c they'll have a requirement to deal damage. Check the rules for each gem and see what it requires. If I'd tell someone whos playing for the first time or so, and want to to complete an easy objective, the most straightforward gems are Reality and Power, in my opinion.

Reality you just spin the disc once, then just go for yellow shots. Forgot the amount, but after 5 or so shots you deal enough damage. Power same thing. You get an option of three shots (red) that alternates between the left and right half of the playfield. Go back and forth and when you deal enough damage, Hulk shot finishes the mode.

The others can require more work. Space for me is the hardest. You can keep hitting the three main purple shots and never really do much, all it does is amplify the damage when you finally do a hulk shot. But if you keep hitting those over and over, they just reset if you cant combo within time. Time isnt too bad, but relies on some of the risk of hitting the drop targets. That one is go for the two ramp shots, then a moving drop target. Doing that does about 1/3rd damage, so repeat that a couple more times. Each time you get to the drop targets, it moves faster and harder to aim for. Mind same thing. Straightforward but riskier going for the spinning disk. You can just keep it simple, do one blue lit shot, spin the disc, wait for it to stop spinning THEN it deals the damage. You do that a few times then you finalize it with hitting the sanctum shot.

#9597 2 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

My subway entrance opto is sketchy so it closes on its own. I have a new opto on the way. I was wondering if in settings I could adjust the stay open time for a chance to put a ball in, but with a bad opto even with an adjustment it still might not work.

You can just turn off the subway feature altogether till you replace the opto to get rid of the bad triggers. There wouldnt be a time delay since its based on opto registration. Ball locks and mode starts will be based off the peg pop up after the ramps hot like the Pro version

#9632 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Agree, except don’t think the animations were rushed. They were done in comic book style, since the machine heralds from the comics, not the movies and are superb with that understanding. Take a look at the explanation. (Low ratings are false low ratings, as it should have been game of the year, but was very unfairly pummeled by the GNR crowd to ensure AIQ did not take it, as all other Elwin games have done year after year. See explanation of animations:

I dont mind majority of the video assets except one....the Hulk falling from a portal and punching the ground before leaving the screen. For some reason that one bugs me. Audio is fine. Dr Strange and Capt America do feel too similar in some modes. I sometimes cant tell whos voice it is.

#9639 1 year ago
Quoted from Sloshy:

Just got my avengers and the ball behind the newton Thor ball gets stuck. What can I do?

Cant imagine where it would get caught up on. Do you have a photo?

#9641 1 year ago
Quoted from Sloshy:

This is where
[quoted image]

Oh, that right metal guide looks to be bent or loose. How does it look from the right side?

#9642 1 year ago
Quoted from Sloshy:

This is where
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/32#post-5915596

First image I found in the gallery from a very early post. The guide should roughly follow the art

#9645 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Bend the metal for more room

^^ Yeah you'll need to remove it and slightly bend it (not sure if its easy to bend while attached). Sucks it came like that =(

#9709 1 year ago
Quoted from Mileesa:

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I confirmed all three optos trigger with a slow moving ball, but it just doesn't register when playing the game.

You might need help with holding the camera during the switch test, shooting from the right flipper. Then you can slow down the video to see if all the switches trigger on the screen. That or simulate the velocity manually, but thats harder to do.

#9793 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Last 2 games finished soul gem and then lost the ball.
Arghhh!
First time I finished on the last available flip. Turned to the wife to brag and then turned back to watch the ball drop from the tower SDTM.
2nd time was not going to let this happen again. I only had a few flips left after getting Thor and then the computer bank, thought I’m not going to get this. So I just bashed around a bit and hit Thor again, started Thor multiball. Never seen this during soul gem. So freaked out that I completed it, And all the balls went SDTM. NO WAY!!!
So what’s the go with multiballs and soul gem quest. I thought they were like oil and water. What am I missing?

Sounds like a code glitch if you know for certain that there were flips left. Should not happen. Like... If it started officially you would have some ball save time also

#9801 1 year ago
Quoted from Walk:

Oh my god this game is great. My first pin was TMNT pro so I feel like a god on this machine after the trauma Turtles put me through. The combos, the flow, the shots, everything great right out the box.
Question for you Pro owners: I don't have the handle on the back of the playfield to help slide the playfield back into position. Did your machine come with that?
I've also got the issue with the coin door buttons being a pain. Hopefully they break in or I'll have to request a replacement.

My LE doesn't have the handle either. I have to pick it up from under the pf to get it over the hump to set into place

#9826 1 year ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Hey I have a Premium and have a question about the glove with the jems . do they just light randomly? for no reason some flicker . and is it my glove of thanos's glove? I would think they should light up as you get them? but it doesn't seem that way. sorry if this has been asked and answered somewhere in the 197 pages . also sorry for my avengers ignorance. love the pinball machine. : )

The gems start off with his henchmen. Havent looked at the game in a month or so (lent out), but if i remember correctly, its blinking when his Order has them, solid when you loose the mode (henchmen deliver it), and off when you win them (since you take it away).

#9848 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I lost a ball. Looked everywhere. All the holes, subway, under slings, it’s not in the cab. I cannot find this sucker.
Anyone get some ball hangs in a creamy place I should look for? This is crazy.

Under the glove? Also it can get tucked behind the back bumper

#9862 1 year ago
Quoted from Nacman:

I tried searching before asking....Can a player start a Gem quest without dropping the ball under the disc? I ask because sometime (seems to be increasing in frequenciy) when I get the disc to raise but no ball enters, it lowers and then I am in a Gem quest.
I know you can get a portal lock with combo shots, is that the same thing as starting a Gem quest? Or is this an opto issue?
-Nac

That sounds like an opto issue. Its not supposed to start w/o dropping one in there. And if you dont even get to select gem yourself, the game is skipping ahead.

Would start with switch test to see if something is triggering on its own and/or with vibrations from gameplay.

1 week later
#9983 1 year ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

I’m having an issue with my right flipper sticking in the up position. I thought EOS first, but I was able to get it stuck during coil test, power off machine and it remained stuck.
I’ve replaced the coil sleeve and “reseated” the plunger linkage. That seemed to help a little, but looking for other ideas to look out for.

I'm having a similar problem with IMDN. If I do quick flips theres a minor delay in returning back to its position. If I hold for cradle or something, it stays up till the machine vibrates slightly. Stays up with power off and checked to see how freely it moves manually, which feels pretty smooth. Had replaced the coil stop and sleeves but issue remains. Think my next two things to check is the spring and then the end of the rod for mushrooming. I feel its going to be the latter and needs some slight sanding/grinding. When I move that rod through the sleeves with my hand, it feels pretty good but think the coil activation takes it a bit further where it gets caught? Been an issue the past week and getting worse but will have a chance to take a look at this evening.

#9987 1 year ago

Getting into pinball last year (not really playing but the occasional 1-2 games a year while hanging out in arcades), AIQ was the most approachable for my wife and me. Right away we got to understand the plot and what the basics of the game was. Sure some modes were and still are a pain (i'm looking at you Space Gem), but after an hour or so playing we knew to just stay in Reality and Power, since those were the most direct "hit the flashing ones and win eventually" gems. We couldnt say the same for any of the other 10 pins that arcade had that we tried out over the coming weeks.

#10077 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was reluctant to get AIQ. I played it once on initial release and did not like it. It shot awesome, but code stunk (release code). Fast forward what…2 years? I’ve been following the game and the biggest thing that attracted me was all the complaints that it’s too complicated and there’s too many ways to play it. That’s just what I like. I got an LOV that ended up having issues That I’d rather not discuss publically; dealer offered to swap it with NIB if I helped cover shipping, easy decision - agreed. But after talking, he also had 1 AIQ PREM NIB and decided to take it instead. Honestly, I was regretting the decision all week - LOV is really a cool game (family hated it but they hardly play lol). Tried everything in my power to get an LOV back but dealer had the NIB sold on our initial agreement and it was his last allocated one.
Anyway, The 3-target bank issue and my initial first few games I was like oh boy, kick me in the nuts, why did I get this. Well, pinball fickle tickle - dozen games in (approx 7.1 pitch at the moment). This game is pretty freaking bad ass! Happy to be here, looking forward to digging deep into this one.
Side note; is the power gem supposed to be a 2-ball mode? Twice now I’ve selected it and the game gave me a 2nd ball + short ball saver. I need to read up on the rules.

none of the modes are MB by themselves. Only by portal locks will they have 2 or 3ball. Are you getting it every time and only in power?

#10082 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll try to do it again and see if I can see what the deal is. Maybe the trough just failed or something and spat a ball into play.

I was getting random extra balls ejected on mine. But I wasnt getting ball save activated.

#10085 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ok it just did it again. Here’s what’s triggering it. Ball in the portal lock, then I lock a ball for iron man. It spits the portal lock ball out of antman and then releases the Ironman lock which is probably why I got the ball saver. Any ideas?

Oh, so not tied to a gem mode then. Yeah, if you're not entering a mode and it spits the ball out from the subway/ant-man scoop, then theres some misfires in a switch somewhere it seems. And if everything is going smoothly, ball saver from a magnet lock is part of the code. Though not sure if all the times it does a lock or hawkeye challenge. Been a few months since I've played but I do remember ball saver after a normal lock at the tower.

#10095 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ok this sounds like what may be happening. So you can theoretically start a gem quest with 2 balls in play?

Those are portal locks. You can get up to two locks prior to the gem with either being awarded though computer grid, skill shot, or combos. Sorry, thought in one of your last posts it sounded like it was happening even outside of a mode.

But yes, you can tack on a multiball to a gem mode by those methods

#10130 1 year ago
Quoted from Shadowtilt:

Just got my AIQ Pro (NIB). Noticing that coming out of a Captain Marvel shot or a failed Black Panther shot, the ball usually bounces off the small rubber beneath the ball guide, often making it go dangerously close to STDM. Is this normal? See it bounce sometimes watching YouRube game footage.

There's some wiggle room on that post. You can loosen it and push it farther outward or inward, and hold it in that position as you retighten. I set mine more towards the left so it's a consistent bounce to the left flipper. Originally I was fine on my game, but when I replaced the rubbers, all of a sudden most balls down that guide went to a perfect center drain.

1 week later
#10213 1 year ago
Quoted from bacebedo:

How do you do, fellow AIQ owners?
My AIQ Pro was delivered yesterday, and I managed to get it upstairs without breaking the machine, or myself!
Now for the fun stuff. I haven't been able to get the firmware updated yet, nor even adjust the settings upon first set-up. I downloaded the latest firmware from Stern, 1.03 .spk, which I am having a hell of a time unzipping. The last time I updated my Deadpool, back in November, the file was .spk.zip, but the Avengers file is just .spk, which I can't seem to find a program to open. I am on a Mac, and using "The Unarchiver", if that helps.
Secondly, for whatever reason, when I power up the game, the buttons inside the coin door do absolutely nothing. So I have not been able to get the game settings going. And after I close the door the "high power is shut off" message still appears on the screen. Checking for loose connections on those wires inside the coin door, but have come up empty so far.
Any ideas? Thanks all!

Theres zip files when overall update is larger than 2GB and is then split into multiple files (however many needed). If the update is not that big, like the most recent AIQ 1.03 which is 1.7GB, you can just dump that file to the root (main home directory) of the USB drive.

While the door is open, does pushing or pulling that coin door switch do anything? As far as clearing the mesage or moving things along to a different screen?

#10238 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I tried doing some searching in the thread and am not finding much — is shots to the Black Panther orbit air balling over the second switch so the shot doesn’t credit a common thing with a known fix? Or do I need to break out the slow-mo cam?

So the Black Panther shot qualifies with #42 switch in the guide, Back Ramp Exit Opto (I believe thats the right one). Qualifies with 42 triggering after 62. At that point it shouldnt be flying over the opto. If flanks are consistent, then it would be that exit opto might need alignment, since that first switch is triggering consistently. If flank shots are also failing, then would try testing the triggers on the entry switch.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 10.08.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-06-11 at 10.08.54 PM (resized).png

#10242 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh, it’s jumping 58 - I guess I didn’t realize you had to make it past the pops onto the ramp to count as a ‘made’ black panther shot. Okay. Still have to figure out why I’m getting air balls a bunch though.

58 should be the gauntlet ramp exit. But, by the time it reaches 42 it shouldn't be able to be able to be airbound at that point to skip it. I'd try the switch test and do cradled strong shots to see which of the two it's having troubles registering. It's unlikely that it's flying over the entry switch also.

#10246 1 year ago
Quoted from cwstattoos:

Having same issue my game
Is not registering full black panther shots only registers when it rolls back. You find a solution

If it registers every time it rolls back (i'm guessing when it hits that floor switch going into the bumpers?), wires might be crossed somewhere under the playfield? Try manually playing without the glass, and run the ball or something to trigger the two swtiches/sensors that activate the BP shot. And/or, run the switch test, and those two specific switches make sure they trigger "Right Orbit Enter" and "Back Ramp Exit Opto" in the labels.

#10254 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Weird...both full panther shots and flank attacks should count towards panther

Quoted from EaglePin:

It's normal code that for purposes of leveling up BP a shot that doesn't go all the way around and instead crosses the star rollover counts as a made shot to BP. Shots that go all the way around and shots that only go half way should both count for leveling up BP, so it's not likely a crossing of wires. If shots all the way around aren't registering while half shots are then I'd use switch test to check the opto in the back left of the playfield on the ramp that brings the ball back around.

Yeah, keep forgetting about the collect avenger counter. Never pay attention to the BP and Hulk ones. Was only thinking of the Gem mode shots that require the full shot (outside the freebie you get with the flank) or the jackpot

1 month later
#10480 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Is the Diddy's mod Captain Marvel Ramp Fix necessary? I get quite a few rejections and air balls from it, but a solid straight hit goes right through it still.
2020 build.

The mod/fix didnt really fix any of my rejects. Its a tough shot. If you think you have clean shots and the gap there is causing an imbalance, take a video in slo-mo and see if theres something specific causing it. My wife can sometimes get crazy in the zone and hit that shot multiple times in the same game like nothing, so I used her as a test case. I removed the 3d printed wall and she would have the same success when she would really get into it. Others use the mod or lexan fix to help reduce balls from falling out from behind.

3 weeks later
#10604 1 year ago
Quoted from Steakfist:

One more thing that's been irking me - I've had the machine barely a month and I've changed the upper flipper rubber twice already cause it just seems to get minced up by brick shots to it - and that was before I just rebuilt the flippers. Anyone else had this problem?

It was a pain to put on for how tight they are, but the super bands flipper rubbers are extremely durable. Had been going through several pretty quickly as well, but as soon as I swapped them with those, haven't had to replace them in a while

2 weeks later
#10728 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

another question...why does warlock appear in the playfield??? Does it appear at some point in the game?
[quoted image]

Most of the games seem to have art of characters and/or events that are not in the game. Either it was cut in design or it was maybe it just looked cool. Lady Death is under represented as well. Think just a brief mention of where Thanos is at at the start of the game.

#10736 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

I do not understand English very well... but it seems that it is only turning the small thread, right?

There is a metal threaded shaft thats screwed into that area. The plastic/nylon nut is used to hold that metal piece in place. The spinner rests on top of the metal shaft. To raise or lower the position of the spinner, you need to remove the plastic/nylon nut to allow turning the metal shaft. Turning it one way or the other will raise or lower the shaft, which will affect the height of the spinner.

Hopefully that translates it. The main thing to be cautious with is that when you get the shaft in the right position and add the plastic/nylon nut back in place to tighten it, it might move the shaft slightly as you finish locking the nut. You will notice that the first time you try to complete the adjustment. What I did in that situation was have the position slightly lower than it should be and when I locked the nut, it would shift it up into place. In this situation, dont know if anyone has better suggestion.

3 weeks later
#10866 1 year ago
Quoted from John1210:

Awesome thanks. Is an sd card reimage involve replacing it or is it still just putting in a usb to write over it? Meaning do i need to replace the sd card.
Apologies for my not knowing this.

Take the SD card and plug it into an adapter or something similar to your computer. Stern has this guide with pretty good instructions to use with their SD card images:

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/How-to-Create-a-SD-Card-for-a-SPIKE-System-Pinball-Machine.pdf

2 weeks later
#10920 1 year ago

It carries over from each game, so the gem collection on the topper is not isolated to the one game you pick them up from.

#10924 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I'm going to grab a couple of these. I think my wife can't get into this one because those outlanes are too brutal.

Quoted from bigguybbr:

They help the outlanes not feel so brutal without killing the game. You can still total drain out on the outlanes, it's just not as bad.

They help very slightly. Sometimes I dont even notice a difference. Maybe 1-in-10 saves the ball from the outlane? I did soo many fine adjustments where the game finally felt fair. Some side-to-side leveling, pitch, and slingshot power settings (along with the star post) made the game feel more approachable. My wife is a masochist though, I offered other ways to help her not drain as much, but she wanted it remain painfully brutal.

2 weeks later
#11010 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Do you have the same problem as me? when I hit this post the ball jumps a lot...I have tried different rubbers but the same thing always happens to me....the ball jumps high when it hits this post and also the one on the left side...lower the force of the flippers but the same thing keeps happening to me.
[quoted image]

This could be because of the disc height. if its slightly not flush, it will start getting air time and bounce up when it hits the post

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,185 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rockville, MD
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

6,644 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Machine - For Sale
Newnan, GA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sleal16.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=sleal16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.