AIQ (resized).jpg
84799CB3-8D09-490D-BFAC-61794876C227 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1478 (resized).JPG
46E62828-B220-4E53-96B6-D1C787AB7C9C (resized).jpeg
4648489E-0E45-485A-8D8F-055E4E3C02C0 (resized).jpeg
F98244A5-83BE-405F-8EDC-F0C31096DF8D (resized).jpeg
3E2537C0-39D7-4B32-89F1-7757D24819D9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (1 year ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (1 year ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (12 months ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Bricarus (12 months ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (12 months ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (12 months ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (11 months ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (11 months ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skogen75.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 1 year ago

Just pulled the trigger on a Premium. The distributor website said lead time 120 days. A good Christmas present!?

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

In on a Premium. Anyone working on any Mods yet? Im excited to see the improvements to the Gauntlet and Tower.

Don’t forget Sanctum. Definitely need a Sanctum and a Tower mod.

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from skogen75:

Just pulled the trigger on a Premium. The distributor website said lead time 120 days. A good Christmas present!?

Welp, distributer says March shipping on a premium. At least the code will have a couple updates by then and the mods will be out.

#88 1 year ago

Asked my distributor what number I am in line for a premium, and I’m in the top ten...so, still hope of taking delivery before the end of the calendar year...I was ready to shop around when I initially heard March 2021.

Anyone have any clue the production numbers in a run?

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re in the top ten at your distributor. Doesn’t have anything to do with sterns numbers. Just where you are in the allotment that your distro is getting.
Stern never releases production numbers except for LEs.

I think you are missing my point...if the first run of premiums at Stern is large enough for my distributor to get and fill their first 10 orders then I’m good, if not then I’ll be waiting.

Just trying to figure out how many each dealer will get in the first run. It sounds like nobody has any idea. And just to be clear, I’m not talking about the overall numbers, just as estimate of numbers in a run.

#148 1 year ago
Quoted from WindRaidor:

So, do you think we are playing pinball as Adam Warlock? I’m not all the way through the comic series yet; but, I was curious if that was the Designed idea since he orchestrated the battles with Dr Strange and assembly of the heroes to go after Thanos.

I’m thinking about it that way too.

1 week later
#386 1 year ago

For my premium it’ll be anti reflective glass, shaker, PinWoofer, external volume/headphone jack, Ball Baron balls (we’ll try Ninjas first). When available: tower, Thor, Sanctum mods. Just wish I could get a direct print back glass, not the insert. I know, sounds like an LE, but I just like to customize it my way. Anyway hoping for a pre Xmas delivery. Stoked.

#388 1 year ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

You got it figured out! That's almost exactly what I was going to do, but I'm impatient so I just went all in on my first ever LE My only mod plans are yellow trim on backbox, Titan rubbers, and clear stadium lighting.

Looking forward to your LE report Scribbles. I know there are a few cool places to play near Knoxville. Maybe not so much right now but soon

#399 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

To kill the time until I get it I am trading my Deadpool for a Wonka. Will be my first JJP game.

Interested to know how this works out. I mean your comparison between the two.

#418 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

(and thats all the space the wife will let me have)

Yep...when we had 5 and then the 6th came and we had to start getting a bit creative. Now with a 7th on the way I know I’ve finally won the little lady over when she said...”we could convert the master bedroom into a pinball arcade”...now...I wouldn’t even let that happen, so, it’s just good to know that she’s cool with anything!

#598 1 year ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

I am so confused by the pinguy app. Do i lay it on a flat (hopefully flat) surface and calibrate, then turn 180 around and do the same, BEFORE i put this on the playfield?
It doesn't explain very well and I'm no field engineer.

Correct, the calibration procedure should take out any error in level of the surface you are calibrating it on. That is why you are asked to turn the phone 180 degrees. True level must be between these to measurements. Same way you calibrate other digital levels (ones that I’ve used) and traditional bubble levels.

The only thing to watch out for using you phone is the pesky camera bump on the back. It may rock back and fourth. Most cases are thick enough such that the camera bump is recessed, but ensure the back of your case is a flat plane. I’ve had to make a couple 3D prints to get around some of these issues.

I would try a couple dozen games and then adjust the pitch and see how it plays at a few different pitches. It took me a while to dial in JP2, I think I’m at 6.8 degrees. Two or three tenths makes a big difference on that game.

#617 1 year ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

#280 Just Arrived
[quoted image]

I agree the machine looks great, but does it really “walk on water” like that?? Man, what is up with that insane cool floor? Seriously looks like crystal clear blue water.

#644 1 year ago

Avenger DOWN!!!
Avenger DOWN!!!

Yikes, doesn’t look like the most robust construction; is there a coil power setting that could be turned down to minimum to make it easier on that part?

#663 1 year ago

Yes , the spot weld failed causing pin to drop. I was thinking same thing about getting it spot welded locally. I dont know anybody who does that here.
I am going to check today to disable portal lock/raising disc. So we can play until part gets here

Kind of surprised to see a coil used in that mech. I would think that a motor and a cam would be a lot less shock and vibe on the mech, especially that spot welded actuator pin.

Anyway, I’m wondering if we need to be a bit careful when setting up the game, with each game being a slightly different pitch, the speed at which the balls can traverse each position of the portal lock will be slightly different. I hope there is a setting where the time between locks can be adjusted. If it’s really far off and a ball is not in the right position I could see the gate arm come up and hit the ball causing additional stress on the mech.

#752 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s funny to me that people need their pinball machines to make less noise.

Well..less unwanted noise. Have you ever tried pinball with headphones...wow, very cool experience, if playing by yourself; cuts out most external noise.

Regarding other posts; the power supply is a Meanwell, a well known power supply manufacturer, it’s not Stern part. Sure one can replace the fan with a Noctua, which I suggest folks look into, but Stern is not at the controls here.

#794 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Stern is absolutely in control. Meanwell has said they will put a quieter fan in if it's requested by Stern and they order a minimum quantity. I know, I asked Meanwell engineering. I'm fine selling plug and play quiet fan kits, but I'd be pleased if Stern just shipped at least the LEs with quiet power supplies from the jump.

Hey man, didn’t mean to start an argument here, it’s great news that Stern could actually get Meanwell to create a custom part with a different fan. BTW, I’ve put your kit in my JP2 and it’s great. Thank you. I plan on getting another one for AIQ. I appreciate all the data you have as well; my only point was that Stern couldn’t change the fan on their own, most likely. Especially without violating the UL listing on the PS unit. I look forward to getting my premium (eventually) and quieting down that stock fan. Cheers.

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Anyway AIQ has loads of mechs? Not just mechs but awesome mechs!?
Magnetic tower
Spinning/Raising disc
Subway
VUK

Agree with most of what you say, but I must point out that you missed a couple things from AIQ: three-bank drop target and Thor captive ball come to mind, not to mention Capt Marvel ramp (that actually does something cool with the ball not just a clever way to make a return path).

No doubt, these are two different pins, each is great in their own way. I haven’t played either yet (disclaimer) but, here is my feelings on them anyway:

Stern hints at Avengers as their next pin. Me: Avengers again!?!
Stern reveals game play in the promo video. Me: BUY, BUY, BUY!

JJP hints at GnR as next pin. Me: GnR is cool, this could be epic!
JJP releases game play video. Me: looks fantastic, shoots slow. Pass.

I’d love to play it at friends place or on location, just don’t need that type of game flow in my collection. Don’t get me wrong, I love JJP, going to help friends unbox a Dialed-In tonight. I’m pretty manufacturer agnostic at the moment I own: Stern, JJP, Williams, Bally, AP, and Zaccaria. I have a WOZECLE next to my JP2 and guess what gets the most play lately....Hot Wheels!!!

BTW, can’t wait for my AIQ premium to ship. I expect December.

#1155 1 year ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Some thoughts for use of shaker motor on aiq.

Anytime the ball is in the pops. This happens in Hot Wheels and it is fantastic!

#1164 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

6 year old can't operate a computer menu? Hahahahaha bullshit.
WhoElseSay'sPoopPunkin

Not one that’s not a touch screen.

#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from lapean111:

My distributor just asked for balance, game is shipping next week!

My distributor is getting 5 end of the week....too bad I’m #7 on the list.

4 months later
#5464 7 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

First, check your playfield left to right with a straightedge to make sure it's not concave or convex. If it is, stop and talk to Stern. If it's flat, proceed.

Well...Just got my premium yesterday after a long wait...I must say that this game is going to be great. I say "going to" because after I set it up and leveled it down the middle, the balls near the sides were curving hard to the right (on the right side of the playfield) and hard left (on the left side of the playfield).

Pulled the glass and yep...CONVEX, how bad is it? See pic...this is with a straight edge pressed down on the right side of the playfield looking at how far the straight edge is lifted on the left side of the playfield. Looks like ~4-5 mm over 380 mm (0.2 inches over 15 inches) maybe more. This is definitely enough to notice by observing ball travel (like a magnet toward the outlanes). Anyone else have this problem? I guess I need to get a hold of distro/Stern on this? (don't tell me I'm using a Chinese ruler, checked it on the jointer, it's flat ) Anyone know the flatness spec for Stern playfields?

IMG_9476 (resized).jpg
#5490 7 months ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

holy crap, that is A LOT. As i remember, stern wants you to put some coins under the ruler to see how bad it is. also make an image of the whole ruler.
You also can notice a 1-2mm warped playfield. The outlanes are feeling magnetic in this case.

Good idea. Here is that photo using dimes. 2+ dimes fit over the length of the 12" ruler when the ruler is near the left side of the table. Ruler doesn't travel over any inserts. I also sent a video of the ruler rocking back and forth to the distributor. It's pretty extreme, IMHO.

IMG_9517 1 (resized).jpg
#5491 7 months ago

...and here is the whole ruler shot...

IMG_9519_r=crop (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#5892 7 months ago

Does anyone else think that more could be done with the Avengers levels power-up perks? Adding 2x scoring on several of the Avengers seems like they just couldn't think of anything else as a perk. For example, Black Panther level 1 adds +3 seconds to combo timer (this is a good reason to level up BP), and level 2 just adds 2x scoring...whereas Captain America (one of the harder shots) simply adds 2x scoring for pops and then 2x scoring for lane...this is quite boring...I hate to embarrass myself for making a suggestion that leveling up CA could be much more lucrative. Also, what is the deal with BW level 1, is it 2x THOR letters (Tilt rulesheet) or redo Hawkeye challenge (from Stern rulebook, kind of boring perk), I think Stern rulebook also calls 'sanctum' 'asylum' once too, haha (wait, is there an asylum?)

What about something like this...
BW: Level 1 - light THOR 2x letters for short time
Level 2 - in addition to level 1; +2x scoring; +start a CM hurry-up (almost the same)
BP: Keep it the same
Hulk: Level 1 - 2x Hulk Rampage + Rage spinner enabled
Level 2 - 2x spinner and lane scoring; +Hulk smash computer (light all four corners of computer grid for a short time to collect)
IM: Level 1 - Delay mini-wizard modes until action button is hit (if space or mind gems are collected, that takes president)
Level 2 - 2x Arc and multi-ball scoring
CA: Level 1 - 2x scoring on pops and 2x scoring CA lane
Level 2 - in addition to level 1; +1-2 sec. added to ball save timer
THOR: Keep it the same (what exactly is super slings?)

I like the idea of getting the mini-wizard modes ready, but being able to delay them (see IM levels above);

Also, I like the idea of Soul Gem being a little more randomized...or maybe the shot moves every 10 flips or something or maybe it's based on the shots you have hit earlier in the game (most hit -to- least hit)? Not for Tournament play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this game, just want to make leveling up the Avengers a little more perk-y.

6 months later
#8240 29 days ago

Just wanted to post about my new mod for my premium; I haven't seen this come up yet, but maybe I missed it, let me know. Anyway, I was always a bit disappointed with the fact that the angle the player is at with relation to the subway and the clear inserts does not allow someone of around average height to see the portal locks easily without leaning over the playfield. This problem has been solved. I got some flexible mirror sheets and cut one to fit the far side of the subway, of course one will need to cut out spots for the optos to register, but otherwise it was a simple fitment. I did remove the factory sticker and roughen the surface. I was impatient and used hot glue to adhere the mirror sheet (the mirror sheet comes with adhesive but I found that it would come loose). I suppose epoxy would work well too. Don't forget to remove the protective film from the mirror surface.
AIQ_portal_lock_mirror (resized).jpg
AIQ_portal_lock (resized).jpg

The result is great. I can see the reflection of the ball perfectly and as a bonus the LEDs that emit from the near side (opposite the mirror) are much more noticeable, that is, the color is much brighter and really lights up the subway. Here is the link to the mirror sheets that I used: amazon.com link »

#8246 29 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

That looks great. Have you checked the opto's aren't confused by the mirror at all? I guess if the cutout is far enough away from the beam it will be fine.

Good question...I've got around 40-50 games with it and so far haven't noticed any problems. BTW, while I had the subway out I also completed the walking mech. mod as posted by Sqwalker (post#7412); the subway has never looked or performed better.

Now I just need to play better. Speaking of which...a quick survey to see if I still need to make some adjustments. I'm at about 6.5° and I've been paying attention to coil stops.
1. Black panther orbit is easy from a trap, but very difficult from an in-lane feed (I always ricochet off Thor). Same/different for you?
2. Hulk, hard to make it when it counts; is this a tight shot or should I be looking to make an adjustment?

#8301 24 days ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Installed my new Dr. Strange Disc Mod Kit from 1956PINHEAD & Precision Pinball Products!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1341-precision-pinball-prod
Well made, High quality item and good, straight forward instructions - took me around 45 minutes start to finish for installation.
Spins nice and free and looks great! I'm looking forward to trying to beat my 1485 RPM on original disc!
[quoted image]

I just saw that kit, looks fantastic, high quality. Please keep up updated on you thoughts.

#8334 22 days ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I didn't get the bearing carrier yet, but the disk install was pretty straight forward. Read the instructions and take your time and it should go pretty smoothly!
I didn't realize until doing the install that the original plastic disc has a metal plate on the top. The new metal disc doesn't seem to weigh anymore than the original assembly and definitely spins easier.

I notice that there are what seem to be balancing holes drilled on the top surface. Any thoughts on just the decal sticker covering those? Do you think the sticker will eventually take the shape of these holes? I wonder if the holes could be designed to be filled with a light-weight material (epoxy?).

#8338 22 days ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Post covers the edges of the drill spots, but just a little bit. The sticker covers the whole thing.
A) With how close the holes are to the post, the ball doesnt run over them and wont sink in
B) The cutout you need to make for the sticker in order to screw in the post needs to be big enough so when you tighten it, you dont twist the sticker along with the screw. I had initially just made the hole barely big enough for the screw, and when I tightened it the sticker twisted and dived into the holes a tad. I had to undo it and clean it up to get it flat again.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I'm thinking about this, my spins have only been in the 500-600 RPM range for a few weeks now when a few months ago they were in the 1000-1200 RPM range.

#8343 22 days ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

The factory set up works OK, but it does not have any friction reducing features, it weighs more, and has manufacturing tolerances that are not optomized. All that contributes to the lower RPM and spin times. This becomes obvious when one takes the factory disc out of the game and they compare it to my disc set up.
My Mod takes the design to a whole new level which allows for higher RPM rates and extended spin times. It's not uncommon for me to have spin rates in the 1100 - 1200 RPM range every game I play, not only that but the extended spin time adds to the score on average of 2-3 million on a good spin.
In my game I have the disc and bearing carrier installed, but the disc mod alone with the thrust bearing set-up yields almost the same spin rates
[quoted image]

My order is in!! Got both parts; I'm going to give this as a Xmas gift for my daughter (9) who is the current RPM champion on our game. This will forever cement in our heads and hearts that she is our ultimate spinner champion. She loves AIQ BTW, she is over 200M high score.

1 week later
#8461 14 days ago

Could it be a 'victim of the loudness war', audio compression artifacts, or something similar? I hope they can remaster the audio in this title to provide better audio quality. Not different music or call-outs, just better fidelity to the master copy.

1 week later
#8575 1 day ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Flipper power is at the max of 255 which appears to be the factory default. It happens right from the first game so I don’t suspect it’s heat related.
I pulled the coil stop and it’s rock solid.

Thanks for checking. I’m going to try and setup a camera on it and find out why it’s rattling around in there. Or maybe I just suck at pinball.

The way may game works is the following...
1. From cradle I can easily hit BW from right flipper
2. From CM feed, I can easily hit BW from right flipper, this is a key combo.
3. From BP feed, the BW shot is much more difficult due to the increased ball speed in the inlane. I will usually ski-jump to the left in that case or (try to) hit a different shot.

Now, speaking of the BW ramp, I've had a bit of the opposite problem, I will hit it so hard that the ball will reject, I think due to hitting the plastic 'roof' above the ramp. Anyone have a fix for that problem? It's SDTM every time the reject happens which is maybe 10% of the time hitting the BW shot. This is frustrating because the shot is perfect in every way except 'too fast'? I'm thinking of raising the roof some to see if that helps.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skogen75.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside