IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4244 3 years ago

omg I just got through 10 pages of it took me several hours, read a lot of info...

I just bought this game ( I am in Canada ) and I am getting it next month, I read about coil fading, coil fans (???), shooter lane protectors, mylar, shakers....

Can anyone from Canada direct me to the right place to get the parts that I will need to be prepared. I do not like waiting for parts and would like to have a nice arsenal of parts that would/could need replacement...

#4258 3 years ago

looking for protectors for this game: cliffys, playfield, etc. I am located in Canada.
Where do you guys get your stuff?

#4261 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really just get the machine and then decide the add-ons you want. For coil fans for sure you ONLY need them if you're playing more than 30-40 minutes straight at a time. Many people don't play that long, or take breaks between balls, etc, and they won't need them.
The only thing I'd get ordered now is the cliffy set because he's always backed up months, the mylar so you can cut a protector for the shooter lane and area under the ant man guide until your cliffy arrives, and some spare coil stops because Stern's are notoriously crappy and can break in as little as 50 plays if you're unlucky.
Cliffy avengers set link (email him at the addresses on this page to order):
http://www.passionforpinball.com/wip.htm
Pinball life bulk mylar (get at least 24" x 24"):
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=mylar_24inch
Pinball life coil stops:
https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html
And if you really want a shaker motor, you can get that from pinball life, too:
https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

thank you for this!!

#4269 3 years ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

Happens with both manual and autoplunge. Ball sits center and goes straight, but once it hits that edge at the end of the groove it catches air. Wondering if anyone else has a shooter lane groove that looks like mine.
I read previous suggestions of turning down the strength but that didn’t help. Leaving it high gives the most consistent results.

newbie question here,

what would be considered as normal operation here? the ball never taking off the PF?

#4275 3 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

I did this (No Led Zeppelin immigrant song for Thor multiball sorry ) :

Full Infinity War / Endgame soundtrack, but i can't share it now (waiting for a stable code before...)

that is pretty cool, I suspect it won't be long until fans start adding movie clips....

#4286 3 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

We have a channel on FB and Youtube (RB Flip France) and i will stream gameplay soon with my custom code

I just subscribed even though I do not speak French, lol.

#4329 3 years ago

sooooo....

I know some of you have said 'do not bother with the PF protector' but because this is my first game I went ahead and bought it.... it is here now.

I do not have the game yet, I am just getting ready for when it arrives so I am now wondering (did not think of this before):

Can the spinning disc be adjusted/elevated so it can compensate for the thickness difference once the protector is installed?

#4378 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I’ve been playing my LE daily since it came and have been totally happy with the game. That being said....I bought a TMNT pro today and it is way more...fun and full of energy.
It’s the music. It’s the villian voices.
Avengers has been shots. Better variety of modes. more unique flow. Better story goals.
Stern if your listening...music this pin up.

I am thinking of making TMNT my pin #2 after AIQ.... do not want to derail the thread with a TMNT comment but ... but... I will go check the TMNT thread I guess... lol

#4483 3 years ago

I asked before but I will ask again.
Has anybody reached out to Stern about this... is this causing a gameplay issue or are we just being fuzzy about it.... has anybody considered that the ramp might have been designed like this so it makes the shot more difficult...

There must be some logic behind this design vs a totally enclosed ramp.

#4493 3 years ago

I understand we are trying to get the best out of our games and this forum has provided lots of feedback to report and fix other issues (that affect gameplay) but if this is a defect or design flaw, should not the ramp and wire be replaced by stern???

Why do I have to go out of my way to add a piece of plastic to a $8000 dollar brand new game??? I simply can't understand this logic

Quoted from toddmann:

Yup, that’s the exact area and very similar behavior mine had previously. The narrowing of the lane on the right side is shifting the ball into the Upost/staple on the left side causing air balls. It doesn’t look natural to me. I would recommend implementing the fixes for at least one of the two sides.

#4494 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I haven't asked anyone at Stern, but you can clearly see from the images on their website that the CM ramp "original" design was completely enclosed by the wireforms. I'm not sure why they would "want" strong shots rejected or others to fall through the opening. The CM ramp is possibly the most satisfying shot in the game, why intentionally make it potentially frustrating? The outlanes are frustrating enough...
I used 2-sided tape to mount my piece of lexan, so I could literally remove it in less than 30 seconds if I wanted to, but it does make the game more enjoyable to me, try it and see what you think.
Picture is from Sterns AIQ premium on their website.[quoted image]

This is what I mean, if they made that design and now the games are shipping with different wire forms... that is red flag for me.... I suspect Stern is going to be replacing all these ramps soon.
but not if nobody reports this to them.... maybe it is a production issue that was not caught due to these being made during covid? which affects most production lines, assembly lines, etc...

#4505 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Totally agree with this ^^^. These machines have so many moving parts/variables and an infinite number of possibilities with regard to ball movement and physics. Broken parts or uniformly bad mechanisms that affect every owners is one thing but tweaks here and there for a minority of owners can't really be that surprising?
Perhaps I'm being too forgiving - but I wouldn't be that put out by having to make these sorts of adjustments.

I strongly disagree with this. I am not paying $8000 to play Keith Junior and redesign ramps.
I do understand that minor tweaks are needed... This is not a minor tweak and if minimizing it makes you feel better then power to you.

Until Sterns comes out and confirms this is the actual design, then I am not adding any plastics to it.

As shown in the pictures: the ramp was obviously designed differently and the production game came out with a shorter wire form...
Stern needs to confirm why.

#4508 3 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Stern listening to your demands lol[quoted image]

hahaha

#4511 3 years ago

with all due respect, I think you are missing the point:

There is a picture of a totally different ramp on one picture (stern website - it has been posted here, look at it) and the production ramp is different (and causing issues to some players)...

I don't have any issues with maintaining, which is totally different from 'redesigning' a part or component...

Using your example of 'working on your game' and the analogy of changing the oil...
Are you changing the diameter of your pistons while changing the oil too? The answer is no, so why do I have to change or add 5 inches of plastic to my game...

Adding a piece of plexor isn't maintenance or tuning... specially when stern themselves posted a photo of a totally different ramp.

If these ramps have issues, Stern should address it as they did already with the subway and spinning disc.

Quoted from Scandell:

My ramp works great. This isn’t a universal problem. And it does seem like a minor fix to me. Do you not like working on pinball machines? It’s kinda part of the experience
of being an owner. That being said...i do my own oil changes. Because it’s easy.

#4515 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Have you reached out to Stern support? I think you bring up a valid question - why did the ramp change from the pictures - but if nobody reaches out, nobody will get an answer.

Yes I did, I am waiting on their response.

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

We get it. You're against putting a piece of 1 3/4" Lexan in your game to improve its gameplay and entertainment. You want Stern to send you a special piece or new wireform with permission from Keith that installing it wont alter his original vision of the game. Maybe a letter of apology from Gary while you're at it? Come on man, you are making mountains out of mole hills.
To each his own but im off to go chain some butter smooth Captain Marvel shots together.

good luck to you.

#4525 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Interesting how the ball takes a sharp left turn as sson as it starts up the ramp. Is the metal upward portion of the flap bent to the left at all?

I noticed this on all the other videos as well. the ball always gets pushed to the left as soon as it starts to climb.

#4625 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Ended up just leaving the factory rules on the card-

THAT IS COOL!!!

1 week later
#4844 3 years ago
Quoted from BrackAttack:

Re: The Disc leveling kit, document number 755-7711-00
Thank you everyone for your help & input. I was able to get it with your directions. I went ahead and filmed the removal for prosperity; here is the video: (*note: I removed the assembly for modding, but the instructions don’t require removal.)

as the delivery of my new AIQ is getting closer, I wanted to collect things that might come in handy..

Do you guys know the name of the tool used in the video shown above? I want to order it to have it handy, I might install a playfield protector (undecided) and this tool seems like a must have for adjusting the disc....

With that said, how many of you are running Playfield Protectors?

#4859 3 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Metal washer?
[quoted image][quoted image]

How is this happening? Is it too tight from the factory or does it happen during gameplay?

#4872 3 years ago
Quoted from ForwardToThePast:

I use Ninja balls on nearly all of my pins. I eventually had to remove them from Batman 66 because they would get stuck on the magnet after the magnet turned off, but that's the only time that I've had to replace them.

so chrome balls work alright in this game then?

1 month later
#5712 3 years ago

I got the game 2 days ago. some facts:

the shots are incredible
love the premium features
the game is an absolute blast
loving the rules and exploring it, lots to do on this one!

I can't find anything wrong with it, I love it. I am very impressed by it and I am very picky.

last but not least, it has been flawless out of the box AND the game was made on my birthday, so it was meant to be? lol

loving it!

#5725 3 years ago
Quoted from BrackAttack:

Re: The Disc leveling kit, document number 755-7711-00
Thank you everyone for your help & input. I was able to get it with your directions. I went ahead and filmed the removal for prosperity; here is the video: (*note: I removed the assembly for modding, but the instructions don’t require removal.)

Can anybody tell me please what tool is this?

I will be installing a playfield protector and I suspect that I will have to adjust the height of the rotating disc and would like to know what is the name of the tool used on this video so I can buy it...

#5741 3 years ago

I was inspecting my AIQ and notice that this post at the top left corner, around the turn after the hulk spinner, is missing the rubber bumper sleeve... wondering if it is missing OR if it is actually supposed to be missing.

IMG_5530 (resized).jpegIMG_5530 (resized).jpeg

#5749 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

I thought this was a thread post but there is NOT supposed to be a post sleeve on that post. It’s made that way on purpose.

great to know ok so it is normal then, no post sleeve on that one. Thanks for that!

#5750 3 years ago

now another question, I am worrying that my antman guiderail and Thor might be digging on the playfield. I have played a few games, did not count how many but might be close to 100..t I noticed that in both of these locations (antman and Thor) some dust was developing around the rails... no scratches or anything visible at the moment so not sure what it was, PF is mint.

I took a closer look and there is no damager to the PF, but would be annoyed if I miss the chance to correct this now while it is mint and not once the damage is there....

What is the preferred method to correct this? I have the cliffys set, installed the shooter lane cliffs tonight but the antman cliffy is an eyesore so I am looking at other options...soooo... washer?

I presume adding washers involved disassembling most of the playfield to lift this up.... I might just do it when I install the playfield protector.

and last, (lost of questions sorry), how often are you guys replacing balls? the factory balls look really beat up just after 50 games... I might just toss them out very soon, this game is fast and the balls take a beating? or is it that the factory balls are shiteza?

#5774 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

Sorry for asking as I know it's been answered several times, but what is the recommended incline for this table? Been relying on the little bubble thing, but finally got my Klein angle gauge today... Thanks!

I have at 7 and I like it a lot. super fast.

#5787 3 years ago

in 80 games I have had zero issues, nada, with any ramps or the subway. Capt Marvel ramp works, do not know why people have issues with it. Subway works.
Maitenance? that is pinball, if you do not like maintenance in my opinion then you should not own pinball machines, just enjoy them elsewhere...

I have been working on a 90s game for the last month, did a lot of work, after receiving my first stern 2 days ago, I can tell you: there is not a lot to go wrong with a modern game. I can't be happier with the newer Stern, I find it is built really well.
Sure it does not have the old schools decals, the 90s game had, do I care? no. Are the decals cheaper when/if need replacement, yes. WIN WIN.

The electronics in new games are smart, minimalistic, I love it.... Less clutter under the PF, working on a new game is EASY when compared to a 90s game (or older).

Ok so now: dimples? less talk about them for a sec (and stop here) My 90s games has a GAZILLION dimples, the fact you can't see them has nothing to do with the wood used nowadays vs 90s. IT IS THE SAME, you just need to play the game a few thousand times and the dimples will disappear.

What else? Nothing. I am VERY impressed with this game, the flow is AMAZING. I love the game, I am happy with my purchase and I am a 90s pinball kid! I love my 90s pins, but I can't find anything wrong with modern games, in fact, I prefer them.

Stern makes a good game in my opinion!

Now coming back to issues:

I think my Dr strange isn't perfectly flat but not sure it can be? how flat does it have to be all around, I think I can see one side as being slightly higher than the rest but do not think this can be corrected?

Is everyone Dr. Strange disc perfectly flat? levelled with the PF? mine does not seem to be at the moment, but this has not caused any issues so far...

I can try to lower it but do not think the actual disk is actually flat, I might need to take a closer look.

IMG_5532 (resized).jpegIMG_5532 (resized).jpeg

#5796 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

you can lower that disc easy enough. My problem is that it is lopsided and before I lowered it there were a ton of airballs when the balls would hit the raised end. Now I get an occasional ball resting on the lower side of the disc that now sits a little below the playfield, but the airballs are gone.

That is right, mine is like that too, so if I lower the high spot then the low spot might be too low and trap the ball. I don't have any air balls though so it might be just right then?

#5806 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

So I managed to get my disc completely level, it wasn’t bad to start with out the box, with a little tweaking I got it perfectly level with the playfield at the front half but slightly higher and unlevel at the back between 10 and 2.
So I put pieces of 2mm ply under the back end of the mech BOOM perfectly level.

Can you share a pic of this?

#5828 3 years ago

you are missing Stranger Things. it is an awesome game.

#5829 3 years ago

mayday mayday, lol

I am installing a playfield protector (first time ever) and I am not sure how to remove the ramps.
I do see the screws on the PF top, but can't figure out what is holding these from the bottom.

Can someone give me a hand with instructions on how to remove these? I do not want to tug forcefully until I have a clear idea.

I am in the midst of it now, so if you want to chime in with help now, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#5838 3 years ago

has anybody installed the art/plastic protectors from Playfield protectors?

I am not sure if this are installed under or over the art? I know this might sound like a stupid question but hear me out: I have them in another game and they are installed under the art, they are not meant to protect the ART but more to protect the plastics from air balls hitting on the edges, so they are installed under the art and protrude a few mm to protect the plastics...

These I got from playfield protectors do not protrude, they are an exact match so that makes me think that these are to be installed on the top?

63710493624__026474A2-E45D-4C66-BA07-96AE5EAE8641 (resized).jpeg63710493624__026474A2-E45D-4C66-BA07-96AE5EAE8641 (resized).jpeg

#5849 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They sound even more pointless than normal plastic protectors then. WTF would you be protecting the top of the plastics from?
I promise you your machine isn't going to fall apart without all your protection measures. Just breath

not sure they are pointless, I have seen broken plastics on many machines. you can do with yours what you want right? just trying to take care of it that is all.
We will see if they are useless or not, it is just a hobby, you learn by trying things and maybe your experience will change your opinion over time.

what is really funny is that I was not going to do any of this, but this morning I dropped a post all the way back into the PF, the only way t get to it was by removing a ramp, at that point I said 'F this, I am doing the PF protector then' lol and here I am, 12 hours later still going at it.

At the end of this am I getting a diploma or something?

#5973 3 years ago

you are not alone, I had the game for almost 2 weeks now and I find the rules impossible to figure out unless you read them or watch someone who does understand them. I watched a video on YouTube made by Bowens (papa) and it helped but still it is hard to memorize it all.
That and not to mention that 80% of the time the ball drains to either right or left Outlane, it is quite brutal.

I really like the game, I am not sure it might stay too long in my collection due to how difficult it is to play. I do not mind deep rules, it is just that the rules do not present themselves intuitively sometimes and I find myself getting really low scores after lots of work.

Still to early to decide, I need to play more. I love the ramps and the layout is genius, lots of combos and stuff but the game is --for me-- very difficult.

I will read the rules and see if I can improve my scores too.

#6039 3 years ago

I love the premium features, my favourites the actual portal and the antman scoop as they give me some time to breath and think. This is a very fast game otherwise.
Cpt Marvel ramp is ok, but the rejects can sometimes get hung up in between ramps (this can be solved by removing a piece of the rail but this is big mod for the ramp and not willing to do that. I am not sure why they have not done this at the factory and would remove the possibility of balls getting stuck there. It only happened once in 200 games for me but it will continue happening...

Wondering if anybody got in touch with Stern about modifying Cpt Marvel ramp? am I dreaming here?

Also if the ball does not make it as it comes down it goes straight down the middle which is very annoying lol...

#6061 3 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Just bend the top habitrail up a little, then there is enough clearance for the ball to pass through. (if you are talking about the trap i am thinking of that i had)

this is the part that I think should be removed, withtout this part of the rail a ball that comes off the Cpt M too soon will not get hung up here.

IMG_5665 (resized).jpegIMG_5665 (resized).jpeg
#6064 3 years ago

Thank you so much for doing these, this is an amazing contribution and you are doing it for free and not like the other people who are gauging pinbalers for hundred of dollars for 3d printed stuff... good for you. Thank you.

Is the handle at the back so you can lift the table up and down when putting up for service?

#6067 3 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

You are welcome. Yes, the handle is to lift the playfield. Stern didn't mount a handle there, but the threads are there. You just need some fitting round screws. I printed it with 50% Infill and petg material. Needs some support in the middle for printing. It is very stable, I think you could carry the whole playfield just with the handle
The little washers are to prevent playfield damage from metal digging in the print and chip. They have an open side, so you can push them in from the side without disassembling everything. Designed to snap just in place. Also printed with petg, you can use them on all these spots. Holding up quite well so far, but don't overtighten. Should fit on other machines as well. A very small but very helpful print I think

the washer is a great idea and yes I noticed how you left it open on the side. I wish I had seen this a week ago, lol, as I disassembled my entire PF to add two metal washers under there. I had to modify them too so they would fit, but they are in now...
I do not have a printer but maybe I will add one in the future, I think it will be fun. I will download your files and have them ready for the future!

Thank you so much! this is awesome.

#6071 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

If I was a coder/designer I would get the rules/mode/gameplay completely fleshed out before adding too much polish. You don’t want to put all this work into lights/sound/video etc only to completely change a mode or rule and then have to re-do it all again.
Also, from a players perspective it’s better to have well balanced, well playing rules/mode/gameplay whilst waiting for all the polish. At least AIQ is a great game to play while we wait for it to be finished.
I completely agree the game needs personality, but I’m hoping/assuming these will come once Elwin is happy with everything else. This game has the bones of a classic, I’m sure the flesh will come.

I agree

#6090 3 years ago

I was having a hard time with side drains, then I took extra time to really really level the playfield and things improved dramatically... yes I still do get drains of course but not no much now, specially balls coming backwards from Hawkeyes loop (secret skill shot).
It a was a minute adjustment -it was very close to level before -, but making sure it is absolutely bang on did improve things for me.

#6112 3 years ago

this happened for the 2nd time, it always happens when I am having a fantastic game and of course it ruins my score, as it is really hard to continue the game once this happens....

What is the best way to fix this? I tried bending the ramps to create some space in between but I did not succeed, of course I was being gently... I also tried to adjust the gauntlet ramp before the drop, just to try to bring it up... If the 2nd post of the gauntlet ramp was slightly higher I think this would solve the problem.

What is everybody else doing for this?

IMG_5679 (resized).jpegIMG_5679 (resized).jpegIMG_5680 (resized).jpegIMG_5680 (resized).jpeg
#6118 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

One extra washer on the post near the captain marvel ramp worked for me.

yeah I was going to try this, just a hair clearance so it. can slide under should do it.

#6128 3 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

i’ve had this a couple times. i agree raising the top wire form a little could help, but it wouldn’t address why the ball leaves the wireform in the first place. Marvel is designed to be not a tube, but about 2/3 of a tube, through the inversion phase. then it reverts to a half tube for the span to the flipper. between the plastic at the ramp and the 2/3 tube, it is clearly engineered to hold the ball in, but it is failing. why? it’s hard to film but i suspect that at the apex the bottom wire is a little too close and raises the ball a little, which lets it get outside the overhanging wireform on top. actually pushes it out. i might try bending the overhanging wire *up* or bending the bottom one down just a little.
thoughts?

the ball falls out of the upper bend (as it turns left) I presume all ramps are like this.

I solve the issue by adding two plastic washers (as they are thicker) under the post closer to the ramp (or second gauntlet post) and now the ball, if it ever falls out will slide over the rails and fall into the wire form, gameplay will not be stopped and therefore the glass does not need to be removed any more...

WIN!

#6129 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

I only get BW airball rejects on a freshly waxed playfield, its almost nonexistent after about 20 plays post-wax.

I find this ramp quite easy... cpu marvel on the other hand, I almost try not to hit in fear of a reject and automatic down the middle drain.

#6131 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Keep that captain marvel ramp waxed and you should be fine. I was cared of it too but now I combo that with BW and go binary for tons of points. The marvel shot is super necessary for Mystery’s and add-a-ball in multi balls.

yeah need to practice this shot more... it freshly waxed but I still avoid it, lol... I wax this game weekly! no joke. a good opportunity to clean off ball trails and such too.

#6133 3 years ago

I just banged 3 games out, Ball 1 was 150 million, about 30 alone was binary points... haha I got the hang of it on the ball and combos were flying it was really fun, then, things got real and all went to sh** the next 2 balls were pretty sad...

All that to say, I am going to focus on the cpt marvel ramp because it is a points maker for sure, and it is quite fun now that I see how it works with BW ramp...
Now I get what the PRO is missing out on, once you get the feeling of this ramp it is must have for this game.

now that I fixed the balls getting hung up in between the gauntlet ramp and CPT Marvel, I will be shooting it more for sure.

Thanks for the tips!

Quoted from CashMoney:

Keep that captain marvel ramp waxed and you should be fine. I was cared of it too but now I combo that with BW and go binary for tons of points. The marvel shot is super necessary for Mystery’s and add-a-ball in multi balls.

#6161 3 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

i made a little video of the spots where the wireform is wide enough to let a ball out. I’m not very concerned about this. It’s only come out of the top one a few times. I doubt it could ever come out of the lower one. Only following up because i did have a ball stuck at the other wireform once or twice. Jediturtle are you saying yours is too narrow to let a ball out of even the top spot?
edit: i couldn’t upload video so here are photos of the 2 spots instead.[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is like yours, the ball can and will fall out the upper bend, it is only retained into the ramp once you are past the bend, not before, and certainly not right after the Flexi thing in (plastic) in front.

#6190 3 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

i did your washer fix so at least i won’t have to pop the glass if it happens again. still thinking about trying to bend the wireform.

I reached out to Stern and got in touch with Pablo, they opened a ticket for me and they will look into it. I mentioned that the ramp is tight at the upper bend for some people (also it was mentioned here). I recommend that you reach out to Stern to let them know, the only way for them to fix your and future games is by people reaching out, and not by re-engineering games here on the forum... Of course I appreciate the tips and tricks to get a game going when something small like this happens...

I am just thinking bigger picture, how many hundreds of games have this issue with the ramp, and how is this going to affect operators until they find the simple fix?

At any rate, they will look at it, but the more people that reachs out about an issue makes the issue stand out -- will not be considered a ONE OFF -- and Stern will have to fix it with a bulletin and parts replacement program. IF you do not do this, we will continue adding washers to our games.

#6199 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Surprised this hasnt been brought up more frequently. Anyone have a solution for this? I did take a slow mo video if it helps, but basically the ball hits the end of the wireform, and goes where it wants to go. Mine only feeds the upper flipper clean about 50 percent of the time.

you can bend the ramps hook slightly so it forces the ramp to come down closer to the PF, a light bend is only needed. I did it on mine and saw and improvement however it is not perfect.
This is something that should are brought up to Stern as well imho!

#6201 3 years ago

I just had my first 450+ million game and got to do the black order MB and defend the gems. It was a lot of fun.
Maybe the sounds and music are a bit underwhelming for sure but it was a lot of fun just trying to get the shots.

I do agree with a lot of people that the game is still lacking better music and callouts during these parts of the game. It takes a lot of work to get to it — for me at least — and I wish there was more stuff happening, better callouts, thanos really mocking u when you miss a shot, etc.
Avengers callouts could improve too, as you are almost done with a mode I wish there were other auditive cues as to how close you are to defeating your opponent or being defeated, with callouts indicating one way or the other. The game can be cery fast so looking at the screen can cost losing the game/ball.

#6210 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

First time for this - went for the Mind Gem and failed, got the Time Gem, got a Hawkeye Challenge, changed difficulty to hard (Marksman?), nailed it, and the victory music came on and I was able to collect the Mind Gem. Is that a glitch, or does the harder Hawkeye Challenge give you a failed gem?

I only had the game for a couple of weeks and this has been happening to me but with the Soul gem, even when not getting it during the soul gem mode, I do not know what I am doing after and sometimes I get the Soul gem regardless.... weird.

I am also having hung up when I have 2 balls in the portal, if I drain, the game does not register the drain, instead it starts searching for a missing ball and it eventually spits one ball out of the portal and continue playing normally until I drain.

I am running the latest code. Other than that I did not notice anything else.

#6218 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

The portal thing is a pretty common issue with earlier-run games. The walking mech has an issue. Look to see if the finger furthest to the right is sticking up like the others. On mine it was stuck half-way down and as a result that first ball did not register and the machine would get confused...

this only happens to me when I have only 2 portal locks, it never happens with one portal lock.
Is the issue you mention with any portal locks? or just two?

#6220 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

2 - when only one lock the ball sits properly over the middle sensor. With two, the first ball indexes to the far right and gets lost. Again, the evidence would be the position of the far right finger not being upright like to two to the left.

than you, will inspect this right now. How do I fix it? I have not figured out the easiest way to search for things on threads here yet.

#6221 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

2 - when only one lock the ball sits properly over the middle sensor. With two, the first ball indexes to the far right and gets lost. Again, the evidence would be the position of the far right finger not being upright like to two to the left.

I just inspected the leg, they all look the same... mmmh...

#6226 3 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

It won't be when the ball is in there, it happens on many machines (including mine), simple test is to open the coindoor, pull the mains interupt switch, raise the portal disc, start the subway test, throw a ball in the portal, and push the mains switch exactly when the ball enters the last position, then go into switch test and see if the opto sees the ball (probably not). The problem is if you just do the test it will pass, because the ball rolls before the opto so it thinks it works, but it goes off again, only you don't notice it because directly the mechanism fires again, that's why you have to push the switch at the right moment to be able to see.
There's no official fix unfortunately, the play in the fingers is just too much, so they slide next to the lifting device and then don't come up all the way. some have used electrical tape to make the fingers thicker, I tried som washers, but in the end I just left the mechanism out. It plays faster, you can skip the endless mode start animations, and the clunky-clunk sound gets annoying after a while anyway. And there is no difference in play other than that the balls you lock are not physically locked and thus are fed from the through when you start a mode, but they end up on the right flipper also (if your autoplunger works fine).
No settings need to be adjusted, some put the mechanism in pass through, but this is not necessary, this would only be if you still have the mechanism in, but you don't want the balls to stay locked, then it will always walk them completely through.

I get where you are coming from but I paid $1500 for this and I refuse to workaround its malfunction by not using it

#6298 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

But man, when that ball zips around that ramp it is so cool.

the code in my opinion is better in the premium, the combos are more fun, better flow... you really have to play to see it... this game is a premium game in my opinion.

#6299 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What exactly did you adjust when reinstalling the ramp? Did you make sure certain aspects were aligned a certain way?
I know you said recenter it, but can you be more specific?
Thanks!

I recently took all my ramps out to install mylar under the flaps. I did not notice anything weird on this ramp, so unless his was not bolted down properly there is not much to 'adjust' the ramp is held down to the PF with 2 or 3 bolts/nuts under the pf and there are also 2 screws that held the ball guides for Thor.

#6301 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pretty sure the code is the same on both games, but I could be wrong.

yes for the most part, but what I meant is the code works better in a premium in my opinion, you are missing the physical portal lock and one ramp and that is incorporated differently in the PRO

#6379 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

For balls coming back down the Black Panther loop, where do they drop on your machines? I get far too many SDTM. Sometimes it kicks over to the left flipper, sometimes it catches the right. Seems like it should be a consistent drop to the left flipper...

Gotta nudge left to right, just before the shooter lane exit and it will prevent it.

Mine does that too. Money making feature lol

#6381 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Those are decent scores! How far are you making it to get those scores?
Definitely locking one or two balls before gem quests and bringing in a Thor or Iron Man multiball with it will generate more points.
With the latest code, getting the Captain Marvel Binary multipliers can be big. Put the Reality gem or Soul gem on Captain Marvel can lead to lots of points as well once you have Binary multiplier going. Soul gem shot can be worth a lot that way after completing another gem. Reality gem on CM and Super combos going can also get big scores for that mode.
Having a Level 1 Mind gem going into Soul gem quest should allow you go for the "Hard mode" which can generate much bigger scores in that mode.
Defeating Thanos attacks and getting victory laps can be worth big points.
Of course all of these are easier said than done. It's rare I can set things up and then pull it off multiple times, as you need to do well with some good luck in multiple phases to put up a score of a Billion plus.

This game is so difficult, I try to play a game to relax and and have a good time and end up all worked up cursing at the cheap drains and the crappy score after sweating like a false witness. Lol

This game is hard!!

#6395 3 years ago

I had 200m in the bank at ball 1, and it all went to sh!t so fast after that I could not believe. This game is tough!

1 week later
#6436 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Others I believe have mentioned this potential issue. I finally had two balls locked in the portal. (I am lucky if I can just get one.) When the portal opened for a gem quest, the game was confused and did nothing until a ball search and then kicked out the balls.
I think others have mentioned that the ball will go past opto 47 and trigger it correctly so in most cases, the game is fine. But if a ball stops at switch 47, it is resting such that it is past the opto and not registering that the ball is there and is lost.
The above video has a ball in the rightmost subway area (switch 47) after it has rolled past the opto. I then turn on high power and would expect the screen to show switch 47 closed. But it can't since the ball is not blocking the opto.
I sent this video to Pablo at Stern Tech Support. Did I explain this correctly? (in the video, I say I turn off the lock but meant I turn off the high power.)

yup, this is a common issue with this game. I have it. Pablo is aware of it and he will send you a new mech.
I am waiting for mine, however, I do not know if the new mech is going to solve the issue....

#6440 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks. So I assume that the metal tooth that keeps the ball in the switch 47 area is simply not aligned correctly or shaped correctly to ensure that the ball is blocking the opto path for switch 47.
I would rather not try to jerry-rig it to get it to work as others have said since it is a new game and it should work out of the box. Thanks!

Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks. I looked. I did not take a photo but can do so later or tomorrow. Looking from underneath from the right side, the last tooth (furthest to the right) was not aligned in the same direction as the others. I will need to look at it to understand it and see how adjusting the ramp or mech can help. Thanks!

the mech on itself has a lot on slack on the last tooth and it does not come up properly. The new mech I believe is supposed to fix this.
I would not spend too much time on this, other than identifying whether the last tooth is at the same height as the other ones. If it is not, you need the new mech.

#6448 3 years ago

Current maybe? mine is from Feb and has the old mech.

#6470 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I can't wait until Pinball browser is updated and we can replace audio/video in this game. The terrible music/callouts and boring video are my only real complaints with this game. I love the ruleset and layout.

the callouts are really bad, lol the only good ones for me are Hulk and Thanos, everybody else sound terrible and yes the music isn't great.

#6491 3 years ago

oh good to know, I thought there was a new VUK mech... certainly not interested in the same one, lol...

#6510 3 years ago

Those are not bad ideas.
What I do not like about the game is the possibility of choosing which gems you want to get first.

To me this makes the game repetitive because I would try to work and practice on a specific gem and try to build a strategy.
It takes all the randomness of the game away, because the only way to build a strategy is by practicing to see if it works.

Now the game adds to layers to it, gem selection and gem placement.

This means that someone more experienced, will find shortcuts or better strategies = boring and unfair. It is like knowing the answers before taking a exam.

Modes should be random, not selectable.

This will make each play different! fought in random orders and not in an order that can be selected by the player= random, fair and fun
I think the only input should give is the gem location, and that is already excessive.

Everything else is too much. The game is overly complicated and its repetitiveness in search of a ‘strategy’ is something I am not interested in when I play pinball.

The game needs more randomness in my opinion. It tries too hard to be a ‘make your own adventure’ but it actually backgires making it very repetitive and predictable.

Get 2 gems, get soul gem, defend gem, rinse and repeat.

At the moment it is my least played pin and I only have 2. I find Stranger Things to be leaps and bounds more fun.

I will probably put it on the chopping board soon if the next Stern is a title I like.

#6521 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I partially agree with the sentiment behind what you're saying, but there are so many tutorial videos from top players out there who have already done the ground work to find the 'optimal' point scoring strategy that you don't have to put in the hours to trial them all yourself.
The same could be said for many games, GoT & WPT stand out for me in that players select the same strategy as each other the majority of the times. Personally I don't follow these routes at all when I play them.
By making the selection of modes random, I think it would actually hinder the casual player, rather than helping them. Those people with the time or access to a machine could put the time in to learn the optimal strategy for whatever mode comes up and in whatever order - rather than currently only learning a single strategy they are comfortable with in a limited time.
I also disagree that more experienced players who find better strategies makes it unfair on others. Is it unfair if I practice more than you to become better?
IMHO there is nothing worse than not having a choice and being forced to play whatever mode is forced upon me, in whatever game I'm playing, but we all have our own opinions.

that is exactly my point.
I am not interested in following other peoples strategy, that not only makes the point of selecting a path moot but makes it boring as you tend to repeat the same path over and over.

Putting the hours to become better can be done and should be done like it always has been done in pinball, with skill and ball control by following the games randomness and not by manually triggering a sequence through an options menu that could lead to bigger rewards in a shorter ball time.

This puts a less experienced player at a huge disadvantage and it has nothing to do with actual pinball skill, it is simply exploiting the scoring system through the ruleset and taking the easiest path or better strategy. To me, manually selecting modes is the equivalent of removing the glass and pushing switches with my fingers.

It is not fair unless all players know the strategies available and that is not what pinball is about.

Pinball should be an approachable game that can be learned in matter of minutes/hours, not months.

#6530 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Many pinball machines have rules that allow the player to choose modes even if not by direct choice - by hitting the pops or slings to change the next available mode.
Many "modern" games have deeper rules that take more play and time invested to understand and formulate strategies.
Sounds like you may prefer earlier pinball, like System 11 era where the rules are much more shallow and you can understand them all after a handful or so games. I still enjoy games like that as well, but "completing" a game multiple times in the same game only keeps you wanting to play that game so much...

Nope, I do not prefer that era... I enjoy them for what they are.
Choice is great, but the choice should be at random... selected randomly every time, not by player but by the computer. You still have your 'multiple paths' and multiple ways to play it, but randomly. To me that is way more fun that a selectable option.

Otherwise, as already mentioned before, the player tends to follow one path and it defeats the purpose of 'choice'

#6533 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

If true choice is available (with similar potential for big scores from many different ways of playing) and the player only tends to follow one path then I don't see that as being the fault of the game or something the game needs to correct. I guess I look at it this way:
1) If it's designed so the first mode shown to play on the screen is random, then the player can either press the button to play that randomly selected mode or make a choice to change it. But either way, with it designed this way both styles of player can get what they want.
2) If it's designed so the mode to play is only randomly chosen by the computer then there really isn't any "choice" involved for the player. Players who like completely random computer selection will be happy but players who want a bit more freedom & strategy won't like it as much and they won't have any option to play the way they would prefer.
So #1 enables both styles of play while #2 limits it to only one style. I think why limit it? Again though, it's all personal preference and some games are more suited to what someone likes than others. No game will appeal to 100% of players so it's good that there are a lot of machines with different layouts and rule sets to choose from.
There are definitely games out there that many people like that I don't like, but I wouldn't suggest changing the rules on those games. I'd just find a game I like better.

#1 is unfair and a way for someone with understanding of the rules to cheat the scoring system.

#6535 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Someone with an "understanding of the rules" SHOULD have an advantage, I'd hardly call that "cheating."
I like options so I wouldnt mind an randomly select Quest option in the settings but Id NEVER turn it on personally. I like when games have different approaches to selecting modes. TMNT is actually really good (now) in my opinion. Modes are selectable but semi-random because the targets that change the mode get hit inadvertently. With Avengers though, the directly choose your Quest approached suits the ruleset perfectly.

no, let me be clearer:
2 players knowing the rules, one has a better strategy = advantage.

If you remove the strategy factor, which is achievable by selecting what modes you play, you even out the playfield to just the rules. The advantage is then removed.

#6546 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Sorry, but this doesn't really make any sense. ALL games (not just pinball) have strategy. Chess, football, table tennis, Black Jack, whatever... everyone knows the rules of the game, but each player/team has their own strategy.

You just made my point: if you are playing chess, The other party adds its randomness the to the gameplay i.e. you do not get to choose your adversary nor his moves.

#6547 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s accuracy and stamina more than anything.

Bingo. And a good strategy will help someone with good stamina and accuracy a lot quicker. You want to make your points early in the game, not at the end when you are crushed.

#6574 3 years ago

the side drains are not as bad as in my Stranger Things though. lol

I do find that the side drains are 95% off the slingshots, so I lowered the power a couple of points and it helped... rest assured, a ball bouncing off the upper portion of a slingshot will most likely be shot towards the out lanes... having the slingshots too weak takes some of the fun out so it is a fine balance.... sooooo, all that to say, gotta master the nudge. a good timed nudged is key.

#6588 3 years ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Mechanically dialing in my new (to me) premium today. Hoping to validate some assumptions here before tinkering:
Issue 1: Low Percentage Auto Launch. Slow motion video shows a lot of back and forth rattling in shooter lane immediately at launch. Photo shows ball is not touching one side of auto launcher and fully resting on other side. Do I just bend forks of auto launcher with pliers to get even contact?
Issue 2: Uneven Sling Ring. Front of ring height is almost perfectly even with playfield but back of ring is probably 1/4” raised. Also, front of ring is basically touching playfield with zero gap, but back has a big gap. Based on what I’m reading here, besides performing the leveling PDF procedure, I should also shim the front of the ring assembly under playfield with 1-2 washers to correct the gap/level...accurate?
Issue 3: Hungry outlanes...I love ‘em because it forces me to play better. Problem is my wife hates them. I don’t want her loosing interest in game. What rubbers can I order to shrink the size of those outlanes?
Thanks in advance!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

sling ring? you mean your disc?
very common issue, mine is a bit off but not as bad as yours. have a kit to level it being sent by Pablo @ stern but not sure if it will save the issue as to me it seems the actual disc is uneven, in other words, it changes elevation as it rotates, or, the elevation isn't on fixed location (if that makes sense)...

wondering what others did to correct this.

#6593 3 years ago
Quoted from jlock:

I had same issue (wobbly disc) and got stern to send replacement. It did take almost four months from initial request. In the meantime I split the difference as best as possible. It has to be adjusted to at least avoid airballs otherwise the PF gets hammered.

thanks for the heads up, I will follow up with Pablo and maybe he can send the replacement disc instead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nixa, MO
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
$ 19.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

8,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
Trade
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_fandango.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=pin_fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.