IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2712 3 years ago

Has anyone figured out the purpose of the subway? When I shoot a ball into the Strange disc to start a mode, the ball goes into the subway and slow walks through the teeth to the VUK and then is kicked out. You can't even see the ball from the playing position. What is the point of this? I've also changed the setting from the default to "pass-through" but it works exactly the same when starting modes.

#2718 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Here's how it works when it's not on "pass-through": Hit enough combos before spinning the disc to spell STRANGE and you'll get a portal lock (green arrow flashing at the disc). That will hold the ball in the subway as a physical lock. You can get up to two portal locks for a gem quest. Then spin the disc to spell STRANGE to open the portal for a gem quest (purple arrow flashing at the disc), hit it in, and now you'll have a 2 or 3 ball multiball to start the gem quest.

Perfect. Thanks for this.

1 month later
#3619 3 years ago
Quoted from Broohaha:

I've been using Ninja as well without issue, however, I'm perplexed on how scuffed they got in very short period of time (about 150 plays on one set, 300 on another). I wasn't sure if a NIB game would have rough edges on wire forms or what.

I've been doing a bit of a research experiment now. I just put in a set of their Polaris balls (carbon), which I have in the machine right now (just a handful of games). It's really a huge difference in the shine, but that's clearly listed on their site. (Plus they are 1 g heavier...) I didn't realize that the Polaris isn't as hard as the Ninjas, so I expect to see them messed up even faster.

Avengers works totally fine with Ninjas. Don't sell yourself short by using the Polaris balls which are nowhere near as shiny and degrade much quicker. Ninja balls magnetize on games that rapidly move the ball back and forth over the magnet (eg. LOTR, Dialed In, Metallica, among others). Avengers simply holds it, so very little magnetism is transferred.

1 month later
#4796 3 years ago

Not a fan of Thanos Attacks. Who asked for this? It's already a challenge to collect gems - now I've got to worry about this @$$hole regressing things I've already accomplished in the game? What other pin does that?

What this game needs isn't more challenges, it needs more fun. The game isn't 'fun' - when you want to play a 'fun' game and you've got Deadpool and Maiden next to this one - nobody is picking Avengers (at least not if you've actually played the other two). Great game to sharpen your skills, challenge yourself, and blow off some combos. But way too serious, antagonistic (thanks for the ST:TNG right outlane, Keith), and still lacking fun side-quest type stuff. I hope that changes.

#4882 3 years ago

Hey if anyone wants to make the cheesy Star Trek: TNG style outlanes a little more fair, remove the little black bumpers from the top of the inlanes.

Conventional theory is that removing these makes the game harder and MORE susceptible to outlane drains. Not true. I noticed this anecdotally and decided to run a test - 100 games with them on and off. End result is 12% fewer outlane drains with the inlane bumpers off.

My observation is that on nothing-but-net outlane drains, it's possible the bumper MIGHT have stopped it - but no guaranteed it wouldn't still go out. But on volleys where it's trapped and bounces back and forth - especially in the badly designed area between Antman and the right outlane - it goes out nearly every time with the bumpers on, and only about half the time with the bumper gone.

Yes, bumping the machine will clear the ball out of the outlanes more often than not, but this game's design makes it so outlane hungry that it becomes exhausting to keep having to do this during a 30 min game. So removing the bumpers is much easier. Try it out and see what you think.

#4952 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

anyone else get annoyed with the call out "eye of agamatto"

First few times I played the game I didn't realize what it was and thought he was saying the "The eye of automotive" and was like "is that a random car ad??".

Whenever you hear the call out it's a good thing because it means the saucer target is loaded up with something good.

#5021 3 years ago
Quoted from dbb143:

I literally cannot fully explain how badly I've been tempted to do this

Lots of us are frustrated by the bad geometry with the outlanes. The slings are positioned too high resulting in them steering balls to the outlanes. The bouncy trap up area near Antman always results in the ball bouncing off the inlane divider and out - a terrible design element. It's not "challenging" if it's going out this way 95% of the time - it's bad design. And you know this because the outlane gap is not even particular big, it's just that the design of the game fits balls there perfectly.

I've waffled with lots of ways to adjust for this without nerfing the difficulty too much, and I found removing the rubber from the lane divider (ala Deadpool) reduces side drains by just enough to feel it's more fair. I think the larger outlane adjustable post is too much of a fix, although I think we can all agree that Keith messed up in having even the easiest/default outlane settings still with a pretty wide gap. I get that he's good...I'm good...but not-good players don't find this to be fun at all. On TAF, the left outlane post can be adjusted to where a ball almost doesn't even fit through. That's too extreme, this is the opposite. Give the players more choice.

#5040 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Do you really think this wasn't done on purpose? I`m sure Keith knows exactly how high he wants the slings.

Of course it was done on purpose. And he messed up. It isn't fun. People don't find ST:TNG particularly fun for the exact same reason. JP and IMDN are fun games, that are also challenging, and neither have gaffed outlanes. Just because someone designed great games before and/or is a great pinball player does not mean they can't make mistakes. I mean, releasing a turd like LED Zeppelin was a bad idea - but Stern still did it, on purpose. In fact, most modern Stern's are shipped with design mistakes that require major intervention by the user (eg. just on this game: subway mech, spinning disk, captain marvel ramp, and so on). How about the demogorgon hole on Stranger Things? I know there is a heavy amount of designer fanboi worship on here and Keith's IMDN is a masterpiece, but this game suffers from some design flaws that will keep it from reaching IMDN-level popularity and it's OK to acknowledge that.

#5153 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Also, not sure what's up with this game, but I honestly don't recall ever seen a more drain prone game, and two of my favorites are TWD and TNA, so I'm not impartial to brutal games.

With AIQ I fee like 90% of balls heading to the outlanes are gone. I actually have been turning the game off mid-game and just moving onto something else lately.

No lies here. Keith, I believe, designed this game for himself. Like, just him. It's a drain monster with no ability to adjust the outlanes and incredibly depressing. And if you do have a hot game, Thanos now shows up after 3 gems or so and takes one away (in most cases, let's be honest you all aren't beating this consistently). It's brutal to the point where it's not fun no matter how well you do.

Yesterday I alternated between Avengers and Iron Maiden for several games and it's just astonishing how proper the geometry and shots are set up in Maiden. He made the ramps hard but the outlanes are fair, there are no BS traps where the ball always goes out, a non-flipped ball off the mini flipper rolls down to safety rather than draining like on Avengers....and it lacks the idiotic idea where the game takes away accomplishments you already made. An absolute masterpiece of a game. Avengers has amazing shots and some unique 'toys' but the need to make the game a drain monster leaves it lacking compared to IMDN or JP. But 2 out of 3 sure isn't bad. Better than many other designers.

#5160 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah...I'll be honest...it sounds like he has a set-up issue or a problem with his game. It's tough, but it isn't that order of magnitude harder than IMDN or JP. I would put it pretty much on par with JP actually. I don't have enough experience with IMDN to say for sure, but that struck me as about the same difficulty too.

I'm going to try to raise the pitch on mine to see if it affects the outlanes any - although I'm pretty sure its up there already. I own 10 modern games and this one has easily the worst outlanes, and I can't even name a 2nd place. On one hand, I want to believe the outlanes are supposed to be more fair than they are on mine, but on the other hand the slings ARE placed higher than on all my other games (including Maiden) so there certainly was intent here to make them harder.

Quoted from Indusguys:

Didn’t you already say this a few days ago?

Nah that was some other bro with a Dr. Dude avatar.

#5198 3 years ago

Hi everyone, Greg here. I've commented a few times about the difficulty and unfairness of the outlanes.

When I first got my Avengers, I set it up with the back leg castors raised to about the midway point. After that I usually play several games to feel if it's off, too slow, etc. This game felt OK so I left it as is. I think I was more concerned with the leveling left to right and that was spot on, but it didn't feel floaty.

I've played probably 200 games so far, have gotten all the gems (on the old code) and have had several billion point games, but the game always felt lame because of the cheap outlanes. On a tip from Jediturtle I checked the legs and noticed - sheesh, the back leg castors are much lower than my Deadpool and LOTR next to it....so I raised the legs to their level.

Annnnnnd the cheapo outlanes are now a thing of the past. Gone. Raising the pitch (I don't know what it's actually at in numbers) significantly removed the random side to side action the slings create and sharply reduced outlane drains. It does create an issue where the Black Panther shot is a bit tougher to make now (now I can related to those that said it was hard to make after lengthy play - mine used to always make it no problem), but overall it makes the game feel less random and a bit more enjoyable. If you have a similar gripe, try it.

#5205 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Sheesh, several billion point games and you're complaining about cheap drains??? I'm not sure you realize what cheap drains are, what do you expect 5 billion each game???

I was complaining about cheap drains for a few reasons: 1) For players that are not me (i.e. my kids, wife, etc.) cheap drains make the game not fun. It's the least played game out of my 10 machines and also the newest. When I ask why I'm told "it's not exciting and I lose the ball easily". So that part of my complaint was for casual players. 2) The cheap outlanes created an enormous amount of randomness. I can play Deadpool, IMDN, or MM and consistently reach the late parts of the game 9 out of 10 times. With Avengers, I'll put up a 10 million, than a billion, than 25 million, than 300 million - because the outlanes created all sorts of randomness - finding consistent play was incredibly difficult.

But after adjusting the pitch, it's not the drain monster it used to be and my play is now consistent. My prior comments about the sound, Thanos Attacks BS, and lack of stuff to do besides gem modes still apply, but the outlanes, thankfully can be fixed with a sharper pitch.

#5294 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

What is your pitch angle?

I don't know the number but there is only about 1/4" left for the back legs to go even higher - they are nearly maxed out. Front legs are as low as they can go. Despite this it doesn't really play super fast. I will also say that this alone will not eliminate the ridiculous outlane drains. Having a sharp pitch like this directs the balls more often to the inlanes, however with the inlane rubber bumper present, these balls often volley into the outlanes. At first I observed this anecdotally and then counted outlane drains and ball time with them on and off. Without the inlane rubbers increased ball time by 22 seconds and decreased the outlane to center drain ratio from 1.15 to 1 to to 1.05 to 1. Tested 50 games each.

So if you want the fairest outlanes, you need to increase the pitch sharply and removed the inlane rubbers (like on Deadpool).

Unrelated - they should add an operator option to disable Thanos Attacks. It's so stupid. One of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen in a pinball game. I find myself, with 3 good gems in hand, picking the weakest gem first and intentionally draining so I don't lose one of the other two more valuable gems by accident. When good players are using that as a strategy, you messed up.

#5396 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

1. How deep is the game compared to other "deep" games (my metrics are WoZ and LOTR for deep and something like WCS94 for simple)?

2. How friendly is it to new players/casuals? I remember one thing I didn't love about Star Trek was that the mode start shot was borderline impossible for my wife and other friends who never play pinball. Combos, loops, "big toy" targets are fine...But if you can't make any meaningful progress without incredibly accurate shots, it sort of ruins the excitement for lesser skilled players.

Deep? It is not. Very one dimensional right now - shoot the disc, play the battles, get gems. Rinse, repeat. Hopefully that might change with new code. Compared to other recent Sterns like Deadpool or Maiden, it's pretty basic. Difficult? Yes. Deep? No.

My experience observing 8 or so people playing it on their own here at the house over the past month (including my two kids) is that they are excited to try it at first but after a couple games everyone prefers my other games to Avengers. Primarily because of how difficult it is to keep the ball in play as a casual player. The outlanes are brutal. My 6-year old son is absolutely nasty at pinball and of the 10 games I own it's his least favorite (though he enjoys trying to beat the Battle Royale mode). If you like challenging games that kick your @$$ over fun factor, this is the game to buy. The shots are incredibly close together because there are so many so you will often find yourself angry that you got a multiball you didn't want because you were trying to get a mode going first. One of the only games I've played where I'm constantly trying to -avoid- getting multiball.

#5403 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I'm sorry, but anyone who says AIQ has no depth and is one dimensional simply does not understand the rules. This guy is obviously unhappy with his game and posts negative comments about it all the time saying it is poorly designed, unfairly difficult, and now shallow. I get it, we all have our opinions, but he keeps slamming the game and posting this stuff as fact when pretty much everyone that has actually played the game would say the opposite. I honestly think the dude needs to sell the game and buy something that he will enjoy. It's obviously not for him, and that's ok. Not every game is going to please everyone.

Bro - I don't get into Pinside debates because it's 6 year old stuff, so I'm DMing you a response to this. Suffice to say for the OP who asked about the game and whom I answered honestly, Avengers is a new game and is ranked below Maiden and next to Deadpool on the Top 100. By year end, it will be several spots below Deadpool as the newness wears off. That's all of Pinside talking, not just me.

#5405 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Wouldn't AIQ get better with full code/callouts/music? Doesn't make much sense that it would fall further down the top 100.

Regardless, the top 100 doesn't really have any significance or importance to me if #Wonka is rated #1...

Typically, new games start out hot and then fall over time as the fanboy hype wears off. Avengers went from #1 to #8 to #13. Sure it's possible that it moves up - Metallica's code was pretty iffy when it first came out but the Crank It Up Modes drastically improved the game and made it much deeper and fun - but code can't fix the physical issues with the game - you always want to give your customer the option to set the difficulty how they see fit and Avengers removes the ability to do that at the outlanes. That's the reason novice players don't warm up to it.

That Wonka at #1 is a glitch. It was ranked like 31st a couple days ago.

#5496 3 years ago

For anyone, er everyone, having trouble with Stern's crappy auto-plunger not making it up the ramp, I solved this issue on mine and it was bad.

So, first advice: Do not try to line up the forks so they both touch the ball exactly. This won't work. In fact, doing this will drop your ramp-make rate to near 0. The way this mech works is a mess - what happens when Stern goes cheap on everything (compare to the auto plunger on LOTR to see what I mean).

Record your auto plunger with your phone in high speed (slow mo) mode and you'll likely see it takes a hard left after its plunged and then tries to go straight. Even with the forks perfectly aligned to the ball right down to the atomic level.

Instead, grab a pair of plyers and bend the right fork so it's perfectly straight (on mine, its actually bent a little outward at optimal setting, as crazy as that sounds), now gradually tweak the left fork as outward as it can go until its either pointed straight (it's usually bent to the right at the factory) or the ball is resting JUST above the manual plunger tip - this is how you get the torque you want.

Now, drop a ball in the shooter lane and watch. Doesn't make it? Turn the left fork inward a tad. Continue repeating this until your ball is making it over 100% of the time. The sound the auto-plunger makes is unique when you get it right. Its a solid thunk sound. When adjusted correctly, the ball easily makes it up the ramp 100% of the time without fail. It can be done on every copy of this machine. Try it, the auto-plunger mech is quite difficult to break.

EDIT: Attached a photo of mine at rest so you can see what I mean a little better. Notice the right fork doesn't touch the ball at all and the forks hold the ball -just- above the shooter tip. Having the ball sit this far back gives you much more torque on both manual and auto plunged shots.

PXL_20210226_221429207 (resized).jpgPXL_20210226_221429207 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5674 3 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

What are all the people that are complaining about side drains seeing for audits?
I checked mine, both side drains about equal, and center drains higher than either side drain individually. So that seems fine to me. Curious on actual numbers for these “side drain monsters”

So let's take the most fun game I own - Deadpool, and least fun game I own, Avengers: IQ and compare my audits.....

*DeadPool*

Ball played: 7331
Ball saved: 1720 (23%)

Right drains: 1040 (14%)
Center drains: 5616 (77%)
Left drains: 675 (9%)

*Avengers*
Balls played: 1924
Balls saved: 600 (31%)

Right drains: 502 (26%)
Center drains: 957 (50%)
Left drains: 465 (24%)

My games gets played by both me (70%) and my kids (30%) so these numbers represent a good variety of skill levels. Matches up with all anecdotes - Avengers IS an outlane drain monster. Both games have outlanes set at factory settings. Both have the inlane post rubbers removed.

BTW - I've found that turning slingshot power all the way up to 64 is the best no-drain setting. At the lowest setting, they actually seem to aim the ball into the outlane. At 64, they overshoot the outlane area far more often.

#5681 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Better sell your AIQ, it’s clearly broken!

Way ahead of ya, bud.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/110131

#5685 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I had STTNG previously and those outlanes were hard also but it didn't bother me because I thought it was a fun game.

If anyone feels it might be interesting, I'll get the numbers for a few others to provide variety...some older SAM Sterns and Williams games and see how they compare. ST:TNG did have shitty outlanes (especially the right) so when the ball gets over there, it's going out. BUT, because the playfield is wider and the geometry is more forgiving than AIQ, it's not such a drain monster.

For me I much prefer a game that favors center drains because in multiball especially, it's hard to watch the outlanes. Avengers is the only game where I've routinely lost 5-6 balls all at once at the outlanes. I laugh. Can't even get mad. But yeah, it's an absolute outlane drain machine.

EDIT - Here are the numbers for a bunch of other games I own. All at factory outlanes, etc. I offered a reason why I included each game.

Center vs. Outlanes Draining

Lord of the Rings - Super long ball times
L: 20% R: 14% C: 66%

Iron Maiden - Another Elwin game
L: 25% R: 24% C: 51%

Metallica - Stern favorite
L: 14% R: 18% C: 68%

Medieval Madness - All-time favorite
L: 14% R: 19% C: 67%

Dr. Dude - Nortorious center drain monster due to top ball exit
L: 17% R: 13% C: 70%

Addams Family - Most popular classic
L: 19% R: 17% C: 64%

I'm no expert but it's safe to safe Elwin's games specifically are designed to funnel balls to the outlanes. I love Iron Maiden, which goes to show that you can still make a fun game that favors the outlanes as much as the center.

#5825 3 years ago
Quoted from Kjarkur:

Just put Slingshot power to 30 and can confirm that it helps against the drains

Yip. Mine will be sold this week, but most optimal setup to minimize outlane drains is to remove the inlane post rubbers, set pitch to 7 degrees, and jack the slingshot power to maximum. Best you're going to be able to do without direct mods but makes a noticeable difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
6,644 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 19.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

8,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.50
4,999 (Firm)
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=mrgregb123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.