IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcvetyty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

My shooter lane was cracking on TMNT even with mylar in place just by a few games, better find another solution...

Best solution is turning down the coil power to the lowest it’ll go. That in combination with any protection should work.

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

The hype is real. Buy, buy, buy.

As it was with TMNT! ...And then the reports of shitty playfield printing, scratched playfields from poorly built diverters, and other issues crushed that hype. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to owning one myself but it'll likely be a year or two after waiting for the early machines to be received, quality to be confirmed, etc.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Too late, I'm in for an LE!

Can't blame you for that! If you're interested in an LE then definitely be an early adopter - you'll easily get your money back when/if you decide to sell regardless of quality issues.

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Question for the group. This will be my first NIB purchase. Do you guys wax the game before the first play?
Just curious on what everyone's viewpoint is.
Dan

No, the playfield will come ready to play. First PF maintenance is performed at 500 plays which is when I apply my first at-home waxing.

The only thing you should do before pushing start for the first time is to lower the ball eject coil power. Ideally you'd apply Cliffy's, but you probably will not have them in time.

#672 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I need to figure out this app to fine tune my pins as outside of a regular level on the glass to make sure that bubble is in the center for left right and also the bubble on the pin itself being between the two lines I'm not real swift with this Pinguy app. One problem I have when laying my phone on the glass without any cover on it is it slides down the playfield on me. Do you guys leave a case on the phone or what works best? Are there step by steps or a video somewhere of how to do this best? Also does a digital level give you pitch as well as centering left to right? Sorry for a bunch of questions just thought I'd try to get this right for my Premium once it arrives.

My personal experience with the pinguy app is that it is an inconsistent waste of time (no offense if the creator is present on these threads). Do yourself a favor and pick this up if you want real, repeatable, and accurate results:

https://www.amazon.com/DigiPas-DWL80E-Digital-Electronic-Protractor/dp/B001NPJGL0/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-drs-ajax1_0

1 week later
#1181 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You can get Cliffy's posts directly from him or Pinballlife who also carries them.

FYI, I found out over the weekend that this is not correct... Hopefully Cliff doesn't mind me posting this, but Pinball Life is FALSLEY advertising their post sleeves as Cliffy's when they no longer buy from him and are using knock-offs. I confirmed this myself by buying from Pinball Life and their "Cliffys" are wider and bouncier than the real thing. Do not order from them - only order from Cliff direct at https://www.passionforpinball.com.

Pinball Life, if you're reading this, I would hope you would do the right thing and remove the word "Cliffy" from the description of this item as it is misleading and I believe a violation of a trademark:

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsballystern-1-116-colored-post-sleeves.html

#1183 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Wood is different. That brown spot is just a random color. The clear looks intact, I think you are over reacting.

I'm not sure I agree with you.. It's difficult to tell from the quality of that pic, but that doesn't look like natural woodgrain coloring to me. It looks like the wood got burned by whatever tool they use to route out the shooter lane.

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

I agree, no difference in play for me. I switched to perfect play because my stern posts sleeves lasted about a month before getting tore up in my Jurassic Park. I assume this is just the way silicone are. Switched back to awful black, don't know what else to try. I play my games everyday.

I think there's a lot of confusion being caused by generically saying 'rubber' when really there are three main things at play: Flipper rubber, post sleeves, and all other rubber rings.

For me, I've found the right combination that work well are:

Flipper Rubbers: Perfect Play - can be bought from Pinball Life. I find these are close to Sterns factory installed rubbers but don't degrade and make the PF dirty. I find Titans to be too bouncy.

Post Sleeves: I use Cliffy's for these. As noted a few posts up, do NOT use Pinball Life to buy these, because you aren't getting the same product. I've found that both Titans and Pinball Life's are too bouncy and change the entire game. Cliffs are harder and smaller and more closely resemble what comes from the factory but does not degrade and can be bought in different colors. Order these at passionforpinball.com.

All other rubbers: Finally, I use Titans for all other rings.

1 week later
#1667 3 years ago
Quoted from LMTLESS:

Slow train for my premium--- I live in Algonquin IL which is only 20 miles away from Stern. My Premium was sent to Palatine Depot to be delivered last Friday... somehow ended up at the Chicago Depot on Saturday... now it's on a loooong train to Arizona with no delivery date in sight. UPS-- the logistics experts "Brown Delivers"... not this time.

Sounds like you were just given a wrong tracking number.. Hopefully it's as easy as that? Can you call and confirm it?

2 years later
#11469 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m super confused now I took out my digital level and in the middle of playfield it says 6.5 but when I move it down in between flippers it’s 5.8 lol is this normal ?
I’m a total newbie so I’d anyone can help I’d appreciate it I attached pics
I assume center of playfield is where I should be ?
Did more play testing I can hit the black widow ramp but it’s very hard to pull off with either flipper …
I also just realized by default flipper power is already maxed
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Widow shot should 100% be super simple from both flippers. If it it going partially up and dying (specifically from the right flipper), then something is wrong.

First thing I would suspect is pitch, but based on your analysis that is not the problem.. Unless of course your level isn't callibrated right. By the way my digital level also reads differently at the top vs the bottom.. I have mine somewhere around 6.8 at top and 6.4 at bottom.

Second thing I would check is your flipper position. This ended up being the problem for me - my right flipper was too low and wasn't getting the power it needed to send it up the ramp. I adjusted it a milometer higher and it plays like it should - shoots up the ramp easily. Send a picture of your flippers from above and I can tell you if this is your issue.

Third thing, as others have mentioned, is to replace the coil stops and the coil sleeve. This only takes 10 minutes to do and makes a world of difference compared to stock Stern. You should do this regardless, but wanted to make sure you were also looking at #2 above as coil stops ended up not being my issue.

#11472 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

First of all everyone many thanks for the help I deeply appreciate it!!!
Ok I just did some more play testing and captain marvel ramp is easier for me lol
Hell of a tough time with black widow with either flipper;
I’ll be so thrilled to get this fixed;
Here is a pic of above my flippers hopefully it is ok angle …
My issue is ramp rejects constantly goes up 80% then shoots down
So I apologize I have a bad learning disability it takes me forever to learn
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yep.. That right flipper is way too low and I would bet is 100% your issue. You can tell it's both lower than the left, and also way below the positioning dimple. That is where mine was before I adjusted it up. Unfortunately, the adjustment is a bit of a pain because of how highly torqued the nut is securing the flipper itself. You will need an allen wrench to loosen it and then re-tighten it.

You can see the middle of the tip of the flipper on the right is just below the positioning dimple on the playfield. Mine was there as well and I have since moved it so that it is about a mm above it - I added a pic of mine here.

As for how to adjust, I also added a great picture that shows you where on the flipper coil you need to loosen the nut.
IMG_0145.jpgIMG_0145.jpgaid12083137-v4-728px-Adjust-the-Flippers-on-a-Pinball-Machine-Step-12.jpgaid12083137-v4-728px-Adjust-the-Flippers-on-a-Pinball-Machine-Step-12.jpg

#11475 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

You guys are all so kind and courteous thank you for the excellent feedback and Wisdom and patience !!!
Well I’m a fool I know exactly what happened !!! I replaced all my stock rubbers with super bands rubber and they were super super tight getting on…
Would that knock the flippers out of alignment?
How would I check alignment on the upper single flipper is there a dimple there too?
I can see from what you guys taught me both of my flippers are low especially the right ; no wonder I can’t hit the shot !
I really don’t have confidence in doing this myself but I’m going to try and make an attempt what’s worst that can happen ?
My tech can get here Friday if need be so I am going to go ahead and make an attempt to fixing this …
So loosen nut on bottom of playfield ; turn playfield back over ; align so dimple is equal to a center line cut through the flipper.;
Turn playfield back over and tighten
Wish me luck guys I’m so anxious gonna attempt after work in a few hours

I would definitely encourage you to try it yourself first.. It's not too bad of a first adjustment and may give you confidence to do more down the road.. Not a whole lot can go wrong as long as you are careful.. Here's how I did it:

0) Make sure machine is off.
1) Remove glass.
2) Important: Remove balls - if you don't already know, you can manually push the balls out from below by pushing the solenoid in that ejects the balls manually.
3) Pull the playfield out onto its rails. I was able to make this adjustment by having the playfield remain down but at the very edge of the rail. I would try this first as it will be easier to do than lifting the playfield entirely. If you DO need to lift the playfield then go for it - the balls are already removed so you are safe to do so!
4) Find the nut holding the shaft of the flipper in position. Refer to my picture above.
5) Find an allen wrench that fits it - its in a tight position so you'll need to be sitting down to get to it.
6) Loosen the nut. This will definitely be the hardest part. This thing is TORQUED as tight as possible to ensure the flipper stays in position over time. I am fairly confident you cannot damage the mechanism by asserting excessive force but you will definitely feel like you are going to rip it right off based on how hard I needed to man-handle it.
7) Once you are able to loosen it slightly (don't over loosen it - its easier if its still holding onto the flipper to an extent) go to the top of the playfield and lift/over-extend the flipper until its slightly above the dimple when you release it and its resting.
8) Once you're happy, tight the shit out of that nut on the bottom and you're done! Put everything back and give it a try.

There IS an alignment dimple for the upper flipper as well, but with the range of shots that flipper is intended to hit, you're better off just adapting your muscle memory to where it is vs. trying to adjust it.

#11480 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I think I understand the basic steps a little confused about step 7 “lift or over extend” does that mean Just pull on it and stretch it out ?
Thank you so much I am going to attempt it scared shitless ; do you know what size Allen wrench I need and would regular one without a ratchet give me enough torque
Here’s all I have [quoted image]

Yep, that's what I used - I want to say it was either 3/32 or 7/64. If you have some sort of ratchet that sized that will fit in that tight spot then I would definitely say go with that - the more leverage the better.. I almost tore my hand up using the little wrench in your picture.

As for that step, once you loosen the nut holding the shaft the flipper itself will need to still be adjusted, so on the top side of the playfield you will need to lift the flipper up all the way past where it naturally will 'flip' to in order to make the adjustment.. I am not doing a great job explaining it, but it should make sense once you're at that step!

#11483 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

It has to be very tight so it doesn't slip. Tighten it more than you think you need to otherwise you'll have to adjust it again when it eventually moves from the force of the mech hitting the coil stop. Once you do it a few times it gets easier, it's all part of the pinball maintenance learning curve.

Yep, just like KneeKickLou says - you gotta torque it back that tight or else it'll slip over time while you're playing. From your picture it definitely looks better - When you say you're not satisfied is it still struggling to get up the ramp? One thing I would say is that since you made the adjustment the shot is now 'later' than it used to be, so you need to adjust when you flip a milisecond. Should fly right up there when you hit it right now, though!

Otherwise, you could definitely also have a bad coil stop. Did you happen to notice some gold/black 'dust' around the flipper mech or on the coinbox? That is a common symptom of a failed coil stop.

#11509 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

My experience with (3) NIB Sterns is that the factory coil stops have failed or began to fail anywhere from 200-500 games played. After replacing coil stops and sleeves, I have several thousand games on each machine and only replaced the replacement coil stops and sleeves when i did a full flipper rebuild at 5500 games played.

Yes.. Anyone who says its not necessary to replace these has simply gotten used to the lack of power. Flippers instantly become super snappy after the replacement and it is 100% the best (and easiest/cheapest) update you can do to any modern Stern.

3 weeks later
#11622 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I know side to side it’s level ; I also know rear legs already up all the way I think ..
When measuring pitch where is the best place to measure ? I think it’s around 6.6-6.7

Man, you have some strange things going on with your game! I would say there's no way its pitched at 6.7 if the ball got stuck there.. My balls fly down that section. Unless the wireform itself isn't attached right or bent out of whack.

What sort of level are you using? Not your phone, right?

1 week later
#11667 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

So I was able to play test my friends AIQ premium same game as mine and his plays so much more fluid than mine ;
ball hits ramps faster ball goes around playfield way faster and silky smooth ;
My game the ball is not as fluid or fast or even close to as “buttery” as his ; it plays a lot less fluid and slower…
It sounds like an issue with pitch correct ?
My games level side to side ; the pitch bubble is right in the center on mine ;
I do have a digital level as well (which gives different measurements depending where I place it; still unsure where to place to measure pitch; between slings?)
I noticed on my game the four legs are almost all up the entire way even the front ones…
I think I may re-level entire game or is that not worth the hassle ?…
I just couldn’t believe how different the same game played.
Any thoughts or ideas guys ?
Thank you very much for the help and input

Based on all of your challenges with this game, I would guess your digital level is not calibrated correctly and giving you inaccurate readings that you are trusting.. I would try to calibrate it, buy a new one, or borrow one from your friend. But yes, generally speaking, front legs should be all the way IN and back legs should be about half to 3/4 of the way out.

2 months later
#11883 11 months ago
Quoted from Savageroots:

So I finally have been able to play my AIQ this week and my sound from the game was a little echoey so it made me move stuff in my room and the machine. I ended up opening the coin door to just make sure everything with the bass speaker looked ok when I notice this small pile of dust/powder. It was silver and gold. Is this from the flipper coil? It didn’t look like it was right underneath it. I assume normal wear and tear.[quoted image]

Typical sign of a busted coil stop. Replace all three as well as the coil sleeves and your flippers will feel much snappier.

3 weeks later
#11949 10 months ago
Quoted from System-J:

Hey guys, I'm working on some custom score cards that have more info for AIQ. The cards that come with the game are pretty good. They are definitely better than the ones coming out with Insider Connected right card, but I wanted to do something with more info. Especially something as a quick reference for the gems and drops super awards. I've done similar ones for TMNT, I'm not sure it's worth all the time I put into them, but I enjoy (part) of the process and thought I'd have a go with some other games. I've always wanted to get into AIQ more, especially because of the reputation for the deep ruleset.
Anyways, I think I'm done, or close to done them. Here's the ones I did for the Premium. I'm also finishing up an alternate set with even more info for advanced players. This one here is what I tried to edit the info down so it's not too overwhelming (or less so anyways) for the average player.
[quoted image]
What do you guys think so far? Any thoughts?

This is awesome! Would love to use the premium version if you’re open to sharing!

#11953 10 months ago
Quoted from System-J:

Thanks for the input guys. Here's a view of what the 'advanced' version looks like so far:
[quoted image]
It's a bit more word heavy because I wanted to more wizard mode info and the shot progression of the gem modes. Had to sacrifice some of the art for this one. But I'm planning on having the cards double sided, 'intro' (previous post (the one with the big infinity gauntlet)) on one side and 'advanced' on the other. I'm also working on a pro version that will be blue so it matches the apron better.

I'm in! These are looking perfect for me.. One thing I wish these had (and maybe they do, I was having difficulty reading on my phone) is some sort of reminder of what the gem does if its placed on the drop targets or Marvel. For some reason, I can never remember that..

4 weeks later
#11989 9 months ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I have a first run premium, with the subway set to “Pass Through”. Occasionally when the ball enters the portal to start a gem quest, the game does not give me the usual few seconds to pick a quest, it will start the quest that’s on the screen (however if I’m quick enough I can change it with the flipper buttons before the quest actually starts. This only happens once in a while and I haven’t noticed any common conditions when it does….
I suspect some kind of software bug is at play, but not 100% sure. It happens so infrequently that I’m not stressing over it but I’m still curious as to what is causing it.

is your action button switch inadvertently stuck?

1 week later
#12008 9 months ago

Question for you all - One of the LED's in the STRANGE letter (R) has stopped displaying any red color - it can only produce green and blue, so oftentimes it appears differently than the rest of the letters.

Is this something that can be fixed myself? Or does it warrant a new board entirely if I want to fix it? Anyone have a link to the board? I did some searching and couldn't find it..

Thanks!

5 months later
#12496 3 months ago

Can someone tell me whether new AIQ premiums have the subway “slop” issue resolved? Or do the teeth still get stuck?

#12499 3 months ago
Quoted from awesome1:

There are a few different "fixes" out there for the subway. Here's a link to what I did and it hasn't had another problem in over 1,000 plays...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/161#post-6483577

Yes, that’s what ideally I want to implement but don’t really have the know-how. Do you sell this as a mod I can buy from you?

2 months later
#12668 19 days ago
Quoted from luch:

it gets sloppy and become loose , stern did an upgrade , but not sure if they will warranty it , but you can ask

They won’t, but a brand new mech is only $125 shipped. Just picked one up and it works great again.

#12693 14 days ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks, I’d like to understand why you pick those locations for each gem.

Yes, same here...

As a newbie, here's what I've been doing:

Mind: Definitely on Black Widow.. Mind is the most powerful gem (allows you to spot shots in future modes), and black widow is the easiest shot to make/level up which lets you plan how to use the ability much more effectively.

Power: Whatever you find your toughest shot to be. Power gem makes getting the avenger you placed it on easier and also does not reset their status once you've collected them all. For me, this is valuable on Hulk or Captain America as those two shots I find to be most difficult.

Reality: Since this is a shot multiplier, and I typically play for progression vs. score, I put this on the drop targets. When placed here, it lets you collect the drop target award for only dropping 2 targets instead of 3.

Time: This one I just place wherever.. I haven't fully figure out how to utilize this yet but know it give you more time in certain modes.

Soul: Irrelevant to me where it's placed (since I care more about progression). Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Space: Irrelevant to me where it's placed (since I care more about progression). Feel free to convince me otherwise.

1 week later
#12736 2 days ago
Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

Jesus i was happy with 550 million damn crazy score.

Same.. I've owned the game for two years now and never gotten over 500M.

I might bite the bullet and lower my outlane posts. I've been stubborn on all my machines and never done it, but it looks like even in this video they are in the lower position, so perhaps its time.

#12739 2 days ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I think all AIQs were delivered with the outlane posts in the most closed position. They can be closed up more by installing fatter posts.

I did not know that! I got this machine used and just assumed top was the default.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

6,644 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
$ 19.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
4,999 (Firm)
8,924 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mcvetyty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=mcvetyty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.