IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3632 3 years ago

Joined the Pro club today. I feel like the following was already covered but I couldn't find it; sorry. My spinning disk is a bit crooked: one side is flush with playfield but other sticks up a bit. Is it possible to adjust the tilt of the disk to make it level? Thanks.

#3636 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Ike:

At the top of every club thread are key posts... this one of them. Look to the top of any page in the thread. There are 11 on this club thread.
[quoted image]

Thanks. I did look at those. What is covered there about the disk is not my issue as far as I can tell. That post appears to be about the outer ring for the disk (the one with 4 screws in it), rather than the disk itself. My outer ring is fine. The disk itself is crooked. Am I missing something? Thanks.

#3640 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you click on that photo in the post you're talking about? It's a PDF. Step 1 IS just the outer ring, but step 2 covers leveling the disc to the playfield.

That was my mistake; I didn't realize it was multiple pages. I will try step 2 tomorrow, though I remain concerned if that step is capable only of raising/lowering. I definitely need some lateral adjustment to fix the fact that the plane of the disk is not quite the same as the playfield. I will try tomorrow and report back. Thanks.

#3646 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep that's a known issue. I have it on mine also where the plane of the disc isn't parallel to the playfield, so it causes a lip on one side of the disc while it's level & flush with the playfield on the other side. I sent an e-mail with pictures to my distributor and they passed it on to Stern support. I'd suggest going that route if you can.
Stern just started mailing the kits to fix the issue. I just got mine yesterday but haven't had time to install it yet. Here's a post where someone posted the instruction sheet that was sent out in advance of receiving the kit.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/61#post-5969186

What you're describing is a different issue than what those instructions cover. Those instructions are to just raise or lower the height of the disc to make it flush with the playfield, but that will only solve the issue if the plane of the disc is parallel with the playfield. In a case like yours (and mine) where the disc isn't parallel to the playfield the new fix kit should be the way to go.

Thanks so much for this, sounds to be exactly my issue. I'll work with my distributor to get one of those kits.

#3649 3 years ago
Quoted from jlock:

Thanks so much for this, sounds to be exactly my issue. I'll work with my distributor to get one of those kits.

Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep that's a known issue. I have it on mine also where the plane of the disc isn't parallel to the playfield, so it causes a lip on one side of the disc while it's level & flush with the playfield on the other side. I sent an e-mail with pictures to my distributor and they passed it on to Stern support. I'd suggest going that route if you can.
Stern just started mailing the kits to fix the issue. I just got mine yesterday but haven't had time to install it yet. Here's a post where someone posted the instruction sheet that was sent out in advance of receiving the kit.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/61#post-5969186

What you're describing is a different issue than what those instructions cover. Those instructions are to just raise or lower the height of the disc to make it flush with the playfield, but that will only solve the issue if the plane of the disc is parallel with the playfield. In a case like yours (and mine) where the disc isn't parallel to the playfield the new fix kit should be the way to go.

I would like to ask a follow-up question; I appreciate your help and patience. What is supposed to happen when the machine is in switch test mode and the disk gets spun? I would have expected that would trigger some switches. But nothing happens. I looked under the playfield and the connectors to the sensor immediately below the disk shaft are apparently all connected. Am I wrong that spinning the disk in switch test mode should do anything? Thanks.

#3654 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I just checked on mine and spinning the disc while it's down in the regular switch test menu doesn't register, so that test must not be applicable to the disc. If you go into Diagnostics-Game instead of Diagnostics-Switch there are two menu items for the disc. One is the Strange Motor test that raises and lowers the disc and the other is the Strange Disc test that checks how well the disc is registering. That one is the test described in the instructions for raising and lowering the height of the disc and needs to be done with the disc down by using the Strange Motor test to lower it first.

Thanks so much, it would have taken forever for me to find this. My disk sensors all seem to be ok so my only issue is the leveling problem. I really appreciate the quick and helpful guidance.

#3720 3 years ago
Quoted from toddmann:

I am wondering how Stern calculates eleven thousand percent......
[quoted image][quoted image]

I noticed similar statistics for IMDN. I suspect it is calculated as total number of events, divided by total number of games, times 100. Thus something that happens on average once per game gets 100%. Something that happens about 110 times per game would get 11,000%. I am a statistician for my day job so these sorts of things drive me nuts.

3 months later
#6184 3 years ago

Pro owner. I've seen a few posts that reference the same issue I'm having, which is that the spinning disc has a wobble. The "disc leveling" PDF from stern, and their associated adjustment kit, affects only disc height relative to playfield, but seemingly does nothing for wobble. I've disassembled the whole mech and my issue is that when the post is screwed into the disc scoop, there is a wobble. The post is not orthogonal to the plane of the scoop. So no amount of leveling fixes it. Distro and stern have provided no help. Anyone else with this issue come up with a hack? I've gotten it to where there are no more airballs, but the lack of flushness affects how the ball rolls over the disc. Thanks for any help.

1 week later
#6393 3 years ago

Finally blew up my Pro today (by my standards) after 400 games...894 million, 15 trophies, 4 gems, almost made the third set of collected avengers. Now need to figure out how to use gems well and maybe I'll break 1B.

2 weeks later
#6589 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

sling ring? you mean your disc?
very common issue, mine is a bit off but not as bad as yours. have a kit to level it being sent by Pablo @ stern but not sure if it will save the issue as to me it seems the actual disc is uneven, in other words, it changes elevation as it rotates, or, the elevation isn't on fixed location (if that makes sense)...
wondering what others did to correct this.

I had same issue (wobbly disc) and got stern to send replacement. It did take almost four months from initial request. In the meantime I split the difference as best as possible. It has to be adjusted to at least avoid airballs otherwise the PF gets hammered.

2 weeks later
#6824 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

It has taken me awhile, but this game is making me play other games better and I’m starting to feel like +300m games are easier to come by........agree it’s not for everyone and if I didn’t have it at home I think I would hate it!

Exactly my sentiments. I hadn't been to my local pinball joint in 4 months, and have been playing my home AIQ Pro almost exclusively in that time. Finally made it out to location Friday and set my lifetime high scores on three different games in about an hour. I'm more disciplined and can get ball control so much more easily. AIQ = boot camp.

#6892 2 years ago

I have a question about extra balls. The tiltforums rules list 12 captain marvel loops (360 spins on pro) to qualify an extra ball in one place, but in a different place say 50 loops (1500 spins) is needed. I've gotten a few extra balls during game that I wasn't sure whether they were from grid award or achieving captain marvel target. Any clarification on the rules would be helpful. Thanks.

#6937 2 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hi everyone. I have a AIQ Premium, and almost have it perfectly dialed in now. But i am experiencing 2 annoying issues, and would really like your opinion:
1: Sound distorted
The sound sounds pretty extorted at times? Its like there are some crackles one in a while. Especially when Thanos speaks in the beginng of a game. But also during some of the music. It is either distortion, or just plain poor sound quality on the music itself. I tried unplugging the sub, and then it was even more audible coming from the backbox speakers. But you can also hear it coming from the cabinet speaker. Does anyone else have this issue? I tried resetting the sound settings to default, but the crackles / distortion is still there.
2: Ball rattle in shooter lane
When i auto launch the ball, about 1 in 4 times it wont make it all the way up the ramp in the back. instead it just falls down between the pops. This is really annoying! Especially during soul gem mode. I shoot some video of it with my phone, and it seems that it happens because the ball it rattling form side to side in the shooter lane, and then on the playfield before making the turn to the left. When the ball is idle in the shooter lane, it seems to sit perfectly centered on the auto plunger arms. Any ideas?
A bad launch:
A good launch:
Another good launch:

Unreliable launch is a problem across all models. Even Raymond Davidson in his videos manual plunges during soul gem to avoid unreliable autolaunch. No amount of tweaking seemed to fix it for me. Best thing I've found is keeping shooter lane frequently waxed. Doesn't last long but works for a while.

#6983 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Just a quick q that has probably been dealt with but my plunger is too weak and will not send the ball up the BP ramp, the auto plunger is even worse. Any fixes/suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

My factory orange spring was weak and I replaced it with one from eBay and manual plunge now makes the ramp. For autoplunge my only successful method has been frequent waxing.

#6993 2 years ago

My new favorite goal is to get iron man multiball queued up, two portal locks, and start reality gem. Pretty soon you have six balls going, bashing drops to start timed modes, and getting a ton of points.

1 week later
#7049 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Extra balls
I've never known a machine to have so many possibilities to light an extra ball. These are:
Bullseye target completions (3)
Captain marvel ramp (12) / spins (360?)
Combos (50)
Computer grid award
Trophies (8)
Progressing Avengers to Lv2 (3)
In addition there is an instant extra ball for completing the 2nd Hawkeye challenge.

Is the "progressing avengers" EB written down anywhere? I don't recall this one and am curious if it applies only to the first time 3 avengers reach Lv2.

1 week later
#7182 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Plungerboy Mine is out of plane similar to the video you posted, thanks for sharing, and I am still at a loss as to how the replacement bushing kit would help the issue. Are there instructions on how to use adjust the bushings to align the disc with the playfield? I don't see that information anywhere.

The replacement bushing kit does nothing for this problem. I eventually got stern to send me a new disc, which was also mildly out of plane but works well enough. It took them months to send.

#7231 2 years ago

Hi all. I have a Pro. Anyone have some good hacks for wiping/waxing the hard-to-reach parts of the playfield without having to do a major tear down? I'm thinking specifically about the back part of the launch path since launch success is so temperamental on this machine. Thanks.

#7235 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

If you pull the playfield forward it's a little easier. I roll the towel up and slide it through that back area and do the same on the hulk shot and the covered portions of the ramps, etc.

Thanks. My best so far is a towel wrapped around a big plastic thingy that goes in a fancy tropical mixed drink. It's flexible enough to go around bends and you can apply some pressure.

1 month later
#7686 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Haha, that is exactly how it sounds.

Taking a page from the deeproot playbook

1 week later
#7781 2 years ago

So close to 1B...

PXL_20210812_012523376 (resized).jpgPXL_20210812_012523376 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#8419 2 years ago
Quoted from bghenson23:

I can't remember where I read it or saw it (and I don't see it in the tiltforums rulesheet), but I think to get Thanos Attacks you need the Soul Gem (that is mentioned in the rule sheet) and at least 2 other gems. So if you don't collect the Soul Gem until later in the game, you can avoid Thanos Attacks....but it is a valuable mode points wise and can provide you with a gem.

I believe you need soul gem, and have attempted at least two other gems. You do not need to have collected either of those two other gems. If you have not collected at least one of those two gems, and you successfully complete Thanos attacks, you get a gem. I think if you go into Thanos attacks with soul gem plus the two others, and you beat the mode, you get some victory laps multiball IIRC.

#8444 2 years ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

Hi all, been in club for about a month now. Love the game. Love this community. I’ve been slowly reading all 169 pages here and have received tons of great tips. I don’t think I’ve seen the issue posted here. It has to do with flipper strength at game start up. I can’t seem to hit Black Widow from right flipper when fed from plunger. It only goes up ramp a little over half way.
Things I tried:
Replace flipper coil sleeve and stops
Installed PinMonk’s fans
Verified 6.5 play field angle
I have replaced flipper rubber from factory black to Titan purple silicone.
Also, as a pinball noob, I tend to hold right flipper during Soul Gem to avoid flips on Black Panther, Thor, Capt Marvel shots. Could that cause eventual flipper strength problems.
Thanks all, welcome tips on adjustments to look for.

I don't recall what the default settings are for flipper coils but you should make sure your right flipper coil strength is at max before trying more drastic measures. This is somewhere in the game adjustments service menu.

1 week later
#8528 2 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

If I already have JP2, IMDN, DP, and Godzilla on order, is adding AIQ too much Elwin for a eight pin collection? I feel like the layouts are all unique in their own way. Maybe DP and AIQ because of the super hero themes? Just wanted to hear from others that own or have owned these titles.

As of next month, I will have 4 Elwins in a 4-pin collection. They all feel different, unique and brilliant. That being said, if I ever found room for 5, it would be DP.

1 week later
#8617 2 years ago
Quoted from petrieslastword:

Any specific settings you guys recommend changing such as the slingshot power or things of that nature? Trying to get my machine dialed in to the "ideal" settings as intended but finding that info seems difficult.

Reduce trough eject power (as low as you can without getting misfires). I didn't mess with slingshot power but that matters a lot for how hard it plays.

2 months later
#9089 2 years ago

I have all four Elwin Pros and AIQ hadn't been getting much love recently. Fired it up this week and was reminded how awesome this game is. So many strategies and so many shots.

#9107 2 years ago

insight tonight about this game. The rule set is apparently polarizing, but it's hard to beat in a home environment. I noticed that the stacking potential on this game seems deeper than any other game I can think of. The possibilities are endless but here is my current favorite. Get time gem on black widow. Then sometime when you have two portal locks, queue up both Thor and IM multiballs. Start reality gem quest and one of the two multiballs. When you can take clean shots, take them but otherwise spam the hell out of the drops and mystery particularly during ball save time. Stack some timed modes and then spam black widow when you can to keep them all going. Trophies start racking up and then you may be near extra ball. Get some victory laps and opportunistic multiball jackpots and feel like a gosh darn king!

#9117 2 years ago

It would be interesting to have an ego award for longest duration of disc spin (in addition to highest RPM) .

#9122 2 years ago

Hi
I have a recurring issue with my Pro. The following two things happen simultaneously:
1. disc does not register spins
2.lights in lower half of playfield go out

It usually goes from 100% functional, to a brief period when the disc works intermittently and lights in lower playfield are wonky, to the disc will not register during testing and lights in lower half of playfield will not register during test of all LEDs

The fix is always for me to lift the playfield and wiggle and/or reseat wires. I usually focus on the ethernet-like cables into the node boards simply because they are easy to reseat, and then fiddle with others until I'm out of patience. The fix always works but never lasts more than 30-40 games.

Ideas on what specifically could be the problem? Bad jack, bad cable, bad board? I suspect it's one bad jack or cable but not sure which. I could do a massive experiment to narrow it down but I'm hoping the collective expertise here can narrow my search

Thanks.

#9124 2 years ago
Quoted from petrieslastword:

Which lower playfield lights? The GI only, or all of them?
I had this exact issue and it was excess solder in one of my lower GI sockets causing a short.
My flippers also wouldn't work during the short.

Actually I think the GI is fine, but am not sure and will check next time it happens. But all LEDs on lower playfield are out.

#9133 2 years ago

I have about 1250 games on my Pro. The right flipper started feeling a little "bouncy," meaning when activated and held, and a ball hit it, I could feel it giving a little bit. I thought this was the usual sign of a failing coil stop. So I replaced the coil stops and sleeves on all three flippers last night. But the problem remains. What's the next diagnostic step? Or should I just go straight to a flipper rebuild (which I've never done and would be thrilled for any pointers to documentation/video guidance). Thanks all.

#9138 2 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

Check the eos. It's the leaf switch. Even check the Plunger and link. A full flipper rebuild is not necessary most times. The parts that fail sometimes are coil stop, coil sleeves, eos, plunger/link and flipper bushings. The other parts last really long in general.

Thanks for this tip. Adjustment of EOS switch worked like a charm. It was a great learning experience to play with the whole flipper mech to get the switch dialed in.

1 week later
#9181 2 years ago

Beat up on AIQ pro tonight at least by my standards. Defeated Battle Royale, what does it take to get to Battle Thanos?

PXL_20220202_001655048 (resized).jpgPXL_20220202_001655048 (resized).jpg
#9185 2 years ago

Thanks for the tips, makes sense how to start Battle Thanos. Tonight what did me in was beating Battle Royale, which I think gave me the soul gem (I had blown the soul gem quest way earlier), which then put me into a Thanos Attacks with 5 gems. I don't recommend that haha, though I got down to three shots left on the last gem before I drained.

9 months later
#11036 1 year ago

Hello-

I have an AIQ Pro. The following issue recurs. During the game, the disc stops registering spins, and the LEDs in the lower half of the playfield behave oddly. Either they shut off entirely, or randomly light inconsistent with what's actually going on in the game (e.g. the lit Avengers inserts don't correspond to what's actually collected). The random lighting of the LEDs often changes when I operate the flippers (??). I don't seem to be able to trigger it by shaking the machine.

In diagnostics, when the machine is having one of these "episodes," the lower half LEDs don't light when running "Test All LEDs." The disc does not register spins. Node board bus tests all pass.

Shutting the machine on and off often, but not always, fixes the problem temporarily. It always comes back though, some random number of games later.

It seems (to me) a problem with node board 8. I have replaced the ethernet cord between node boards 8 and 9. I have reseated every connection in node board 8. Neither has helped.

Is swapping the node boards the next logical thing to try?

Thanks for any insights!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rockville, MD
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.00
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nixa, MO
$ 19.00
Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL
$ 16.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jlock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=jlock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.