IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1291 3 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I've noticed my Dr. Strange disc is not really flush with the playfield when sitting all the way down, in fact not just raised all around but a little higher on one side than the other. Anyone know how to tweak with leveling on this mech?

edit, apparently there is a legit way to do it.

#1295 3 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

EDIT: I did hear from Stern , not completely resolved , but ill let you know what happened .. good news is i can enjoy the game. looks like a potentially flaky board. thanks Stern (they guy who went out of his way)

Yeah I thought mine worked yesterday just fine and then all the sudden it started acting up after updating to .91. I could be wrong, maybe it was wonky before.
still works for the most part but gets phantom hits at a certain angle.
Guess I'll be contacting stern .

#1296 3 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

Well LE #2 is dead in the water.
Upper half of the playfield is dark.

none of my LED boards were getting 5v from node 9 (upper half dark). I moved the 5 volt connection and it solved the issue. Went ahead and replaced the pin and gave the wire more slack because it was super tight with the zip ties. This is the 6th or 7th time I've seen this issue with the connectors on the node boards. luckily I haven't had a node board crap out on me in a long time.

#1297 3 years ago

double

#1334 3 years ago
Quoted from WindRaidor:

Before the update, it was very common for the balls in that subway to get stuck because if there were two balls there they both got feed into the VUK and that’s when one would typical stick down there with the only way for me to release was to tilt out.

nope still getting stuck balls down there, only on portal locks. anyone found a solution?

#1337 3 years ago
Quoted from Zukram:

What is your pitch on the game ? Does it just get stuck on the last position before the VUK.. On mine at 7 degrees it sticks a little before the vuk, need to take a peek inside a bit more to see why this is..

prolly what it is, I never notice until I drain and the game is still going. When I did see it, it was stuck in the first or middle position.... I don't know if the opto was being triggered. all optos test out fine. I think it's at 6.5-6.6 right now, will mess around with the pitch.

#1395 3 years ago
Quoted from Zukram:

What is your pitch on the game ? Does it just get stuck on the last position before the VUK.. On mine at 7 degrees it sticks a little before the vuk, need to take a peek inside a bit more to see why this is..

edit
thought it was working, come to find out the arms were binding. There is an adjustment to align the metal part with the plastic part.
As for the ball getting caught at the end sometimes, I just added two washers down the to increase the slope a little. also added a few to the arm mech as well, because the first set of arms tend to slow the ball on occasion when they are in the down position.

#1438 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

You need to turn the white gear above the green line
[quoted image]

Spinning Disc Adjustment Procedure (1).pdfSpinning Disc Adjustment Procedure (1).pdf

click on the pic to get the pdf.

#1459 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I'm in for a premium, but the subway thing seems a design fault. People are saying there is either not enough opto's or the design with the fingers is incorrect and stopping it from functioning properly. People are resorting to disabling it. If I'd wanted it disabled I would have saved money and bought a pro.
It's all a bit worrying for someone like me who has to pay someone to do the maintenance.

my subway, disc and lights weren't working correctly or at all to begin with. Tried a few things, now they all work flawlessly. In hindsight, they were all real simple adjustments. The engineers who designed the mechs usually do with with tolerances built in. Not everything is perfect off the line, it might even get messed up in shipping. It's worth it in the end though.
Pretty rare to get a NIB game, without having to make some tweaks. The main reasons I have zero qualms about buying sterns is their products can take a beating without to much intervention and their tech support is great.

If you don't want to handle the stuff yourself, can't your distro help you out?

#1495 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

As far as i can tell, that's not an 'adjust and move on' move.

there is an an adjustment underneath that aligns the plastic and metal grooves up. on mine the arms or fingers or whatever were getting caught and not coming up all the time (intermittent). Sometimes it had to go into ball search to find the ball. It did this every time portal locks were a thing. I aligned that and also added 2 washers near the end to increase the slope, so it'd drop in the VUK easier. As sometimes it got held up at the end depending on pitch and if it were leaning left at all.

#1794 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Happens to me almost every game

Quoted from paul_8788:

Had a portal ball lock issue. .

loosen the six or 7 hex screws on the bottom and move the mech up or down. The alignment is probably off on the teeth vs the slots causing them to stick down. if the ball passes all the way through (because the teeth are stuck down), the software makes it behave like a virtual lock.

had the same issue with mine. It worked great for almost 300 games until a weld point broke

#2056 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Haven't seen anyone else post about this yet, but I've had it 3 times playing on site.
Ball gets stuck at the location indicated, where the 2 ramp feedback rails cross. (didn't take a photo at the time)

Just adjust the 2 habit trails so the ball passes freely under. Did it to mine, easy fix.
there are only two other ball traps I know about, I just fix them with these things.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KWVTJV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

be nice if stern had a guard there, but those rubber nub things work fine.
20201018_120331 (resized).jpg20201018_120331 (resized).jpg20201018_120344 (resized).jpg20201018_120344 (resized).jpg

#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Thanks for that link and the idea.

Glad the nubs worked for you. I use them on every game with ball traps, they work great and come off with no ill effects.
Saved me from lots of location play grief.

Quoted from chuckcasey:

Stucky ball 3 - skill shot roll over. Ball sticks on rollover. Appears insert needs to be pounded upward. Since these inserts are not put in place until after clear coat and decals, they sometimes not inserted far enough. Pounded in slightly from under playfield - fixed.

The roll over insert is adjustable (up/down) if it's the one I'm thinking about. It was the same thing in Beatles. I'm not aware of any other inserts that aren't level with the playfield. pain the butt to unscrew the plastic housing though.

#2233 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Not everyone, but many. LE #367 here and my subway has been down 9 days so far with a broken weld. Distributor supposedly ordered part for me 8 days ago, but still waiting. I don’t expect overnight service, but would certainly like to see it soon.

take the tooth mech (only 3 8-32 nuts) out with the broken spot weld and go into settings and change the subway to pass through or no entry. Mine is set on pass-through right now, until I get the new mech.

Anyone with the ball lock issues, have you tried adjusting the mech itself? (its only like 7 or 8 hex screws)
those teeth get stuck down a lot, and it can be intermittent. If the portal lock ball isn't on the right opto, the software won't know what to do. I personally only saw the issue with portal locks, and sometimes with balls that went in after.

#2430 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

1) For balls scooting around the first finger
2) For other issues with balls in the channel,

1) interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out.
2) its pretty easy to align it right? that was like 99% of my issues down there, worked great until the weld broke.
I didn't use any washers until the end to make the slope, but I put 3 washers on the coil mech itself. (the ones where it attaches to the groove channels.)

#2508 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, it was pretty easy to align and very nice that all the screw points were open ended to align it. Just curious, what were the washers on the coil mech being used for on yours? What were they correcting/aligning?

They were mainly there to help with clearance if the teeth jammed again. Sometimes when they jam they stick out a tiny amount. Since my game is on location I figured it couldn't hurt, since it doesn't impede the mech itself.

1 week later
#2824 3 years ago
Quoted from dbb143:

Another titan regular flipper demolition.

I've had to replace mine 3 times now, I hate to do it but I'm gonna throw a superband on the upper flipper.
they don't feel great, but can put up with a lot of punishment.

1 month later
#3904 3 years ago
Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

Hey everyone! Just got my Avengers up and going and got some games on it. I don't know if anyone has seen this issue but my return ramp from Black Widow to the left inlane will jump at the very end instead of dropping down into the return lane. Anyone have a solution?

I had the same thing happen to my star wars, the ball would just pop off the wire form into the outlane instead of dropping in the inlane. Had to bend the end up slightly (not the whole ramp just wire that the ball hits at the end), works now. (but I've seen others where it's more fluid)

it's either that or get with stern to get another ramp.

1 month later
#4767 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Thanks for all the advices on the CM ramp.

But a clean shot from a cradle should go up the ramp at least for 95%.
You should not get punished for a perfect shot.

Just curious did you try changing the coils out for LOTR ones?
It might/might not be a design flaw, it might of worked great in keiths game, but like mentioned something might of gotten slightly changed in production and sometimes the smallest variance matters.
My game has about 3 thousand plays now and I just had to bend the CM ramp to the left slightly because no balls were going up at all... literally 0 out 10 clean shots.
Now Its back to 4 out of 5 clean shots making it.

Was thinking about replacing the coils to help it, worked pretty good on Stranger things Tele-lock. I'll look at the fan and plastic solution next.
thanks for suggesting it.

2 weeks later
#5257 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

That's my exact issue right there, thanks so much for that!
Only difference is, my brass collar popped off on the other side, which is why it impedes the up/down.

I put a dab of super glue on mine and it worked for about 1k games, until it fell out again.
So I put a crap ton of super glue on it and haven't had it come out since. I got stern to send me another, just in case it pops out again somehow. Just make sure it goes in straight, otherwise the disk won't spin right. I'd recommend a small plastic mallet/hammer or something.

I don't think there is a good way to press it back in without adhesives once it comes out the first time.

#5259 3 years ago
Quoted from BrackAttack:

I’m consistently have two issues:
1) Auto launch doesn’t make it up the orbit, drains into the bumpers 50-60% of the time. I’ve attempted all the forum suggested fixes with no long term results.
2) The Avenger’s tower magnet drops the ball ~50% of the time so the ball rolls out away from the upper flipper. My game is level. I haven’t seen this issue mentioned here yet.
These issues are not game breakers but constant bummers.

Go into the featured adjustments and increase the coil and magnet power options.
also try to make sure the prongs are hitting the ball at the same time for auto launch.

#5277 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

After a few weeks of playing I feel like I’m getting stuck at the 200-250 million point range quite often.

Like the other guy said portal locks, but stack a multiball with the mode as well. As long as the game has two/three (depending on how many portal locks you have) balls in it the scoring is doubled/tripled for the length of the mode (as long as you have that many balls in play). Bringing a multiball and playfield/shot multipliers into modes is what you do in almost all sterns to blow up scoring.

Or you could always close the outlanes and lower the incline, but there isn't any fun in that.

#5279 3 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I said raised, as in raised up into the leg with no threads showing. Not extended or lowered.

Left to right is level. Front to back is pitch. There is no left to right pitch. Whenever you level a game, at least one of the front levelers should be completely raised, no threads showing, to get as much stability for the game as possible. If all four of your levelers are extended, you did it wrong.

I rarely touch the front leg levelers, only ever touch the back two leg levelers to get it as even as possible. The ONLY time I ever touch the front two is when the floor is super uneven, or the playfield is janky. I always try to check the side to side level out the playfield btwn the flippers and somewhere in the middle to get an average difference as close to zero as possible.

I don't use phone apps. The accelerometer sensor isn't always reliable and cases for phones are different. If you don't have a level, just do it through how it feels. Always wondered why I see pinballs with front legs jacked up, never made any sense to me. I remember one guy at a show asking why I was leveling a game. He said all he does is stick the front legs on the front and back legs on the back and GTG.

#5322 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

If I remember right the Deadpool Hellhouse scoop is an example of one being protected from the factory.

The last one they did a protector on was the grandpa scoop on munsters. I know my deadpool one fell apart and I had to get a new one. They aren't as thick as actual cliffy protectors, but at least it was something. At least you can put the drop target protectors on some of the scoops, like avengers.

#5427 3 years ago
Quoted from FightCave:

I don't think anything should be falling apart.

Quoted from awesome1:

the "SuperBands" will take the beating better, but are very hard to install because they are stiff. Putting them in hot water helps.

yeah, superbands are the way to go with any high impact rubbers/posts etc. That and the upper mini flipper rubber on maiden will break prematurely if you use regular ones. I wouldn't use them on the bottom two flippers, because they feel a little dead, but they have a place. They are a little more expensive, but easily last 10 times as long.

#5564 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Are you sure you are playing AIQ? The modes are totally different from each other and would like to know what your definition of a deep game is. I don't think Elwin is capable of not making a deep game and many buy his games just for this reason.

I kind of thought the same thing until I understood the rules a little better. I honestly can't remember a stern where the modes were so different in a while. If you just say shoot the lit shots, sure modes feel the same. If you understand the nuances and why you don't want to just blindly shoot lit shots, then yeah they are completely different.

That space gem really had me confused for a long time, trying to figure it out myself. A combo mode, thats pretty clever... Always thought that bastard was hitting me for shooting the right shots .

1 week later
#5736 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Can anybody tell me please what tool is this?
I will be installing a playfield protector and I suspect that I will have to adjust the height of the rotating disc and would like to know what is the name of the tool used on this video so I can buy it...

I have no idea, but if you figure it out let me know. I used pliers with a towel on mine and marred up the plastic a slightly. i've never seen that tool before, must be something specialty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
London, ON
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 300.00
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.