IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blizz81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10822 1 year ago
Quoted from pixelpete:

Another inexpensive mod. Vinyl wrap. Easy, just a heat gun or blow dryer. amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. What size roll did you use? Wonder how difficult doing the legs would be.

#10834 1 year ago
Quoted from boogies:

I just shopped my out and that plastic is WAY tight. The issue with mine was there was a post hole (top part of plastic) that was "virgin" with a tight hole. That being said, be careful not to break it but it came out for me.
BTW, that Capt Marvel wire form was similar. Super tight to pull out from that VUK area.

deleteme4 (resized).JPGdeleteme4 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#10868 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This lays out everything in the game pretty well:
http://tiltforums.com/t/avengers-infinity-quest-rulesheet/6740
And this is a link to the Stern PDF rule sheet for the game:
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/AIQ-Rule-Sheet.pdf

Joining the club today. I'm reading through the thread to catch up but I've noticed the dates on these are still 2020. Was curious if the current state of the code is more or less the same base structure re: the ruleset?

Also, is the Spider soundmod the main custom code alternative? Sounds like it is on 1.03 until/unless pinball browser can get working on the newer versions of the Stern code? I guess at a glance at least it seems like you can go back to 1.03 without problems re: any firmware updates, I might give Stern's v1.07 a shot since 1) I'm coming in new and 2) really not an Avengers/Marvel movies fan so not a big deal if it's still comics-themed

#10869 1 year ago

My run of Sean Astin-themed pins has hit a disruption (unless we can count voice acting in a The Mighty Thor cartoon it appears), but I've at least kept the streak of machines that could / should use flipper coil fans alive.

pinballs (resized).JPGpinballs (resized).JPG
#10873 1 year ago
Quoted from AiriusTorpora:

Nice game room area, excellent dimensions for pins, but get yourself some carpet slider footies. Once they settle into the foam you can slide the machine around much better like you would expect on a hard floor and it stays more level overall on the carpet still.

I've got sliders on the front legs of the other two machines, just have to grab another pair for this new-to-me arrival.

1 week later
#10890 1 year ago

My Ace Hardware had pretty crappy sliders. It's been on my backburner list to find sliders that fit exactly to the feet circle diameters on all my pins as I'd seen them before on pinside, so maybe I'll try ordering the magic sliders.

Still making my way through the thread, just cracked into the 100 page mark out of 218 re: my number of posts per page. Got to the timeframe where evidently Stern was releasing some machines with washers under the suspect ball guides - mine is an Apr 2022 build and did not have any washers. Added one under antman rail last night while doing rubbers, probably look into Thor as well.

One question I did have - does the audio hardware vary much between recent Stern spike 2 games? My Dec 2021 build STh Pro sounds quite a bit better than this Avengers Pro. The main woofer is crackle city on this even at like volume 14. I'd assume the pros would pretty much have the same amplification and speakers.

edit: today I messed around while someone else was playing and seemed to be able to minimize what I thought was speaker crackling by pushing up against the outside edges of the speaker grate, so I'll play around more with securing the woofer and some foam/quiet tape.

#10893 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Replacing the factory speakers will help considerably and tweaking the Stern EQ settings and also the attenuation settings to your liking. There's a good DIY thread if you want to go that route.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/
Also - many remove the grate cover from the cabinet speaker as it can vibrate and cause unwanted noise that sounds like speaker crackling.

Thanks - I'll check that thread out. I just ran into your posts in this thread re: the pyle 4"s and the other aftermarket woofer for the cabinet a little bit after posting this.

1 week later
#10941 1 year ago
Quoted from Savageroots:

Hey guys hope all is going well and everyone is enjoying there AIQ.
I was looking at asking for some replacement parts or items for my AIQ this Christmas. Any suggestions? I don’t need replacement flippers yet but thought it might be nice to have them in the waiting.

A set of precision flippers could make for a nice under the tree gift (in no way affiliated with the seller, just a customer).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/21#post-7189652

And the same seller also sells the metal Dr. Strange disc, if yours happens to have any wobble. Fair warning - I’m still catching up on this thread and just got to the point where he was announcing that disc, so there may be other solutions for wobble, etc.

#10973 1 year ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Interesting….I’m on 1.05 but not interested in any of the IC so I did not upgrade to 1.06. My game has reset a couple of times (maybe 3) since installing 1.05. I’m thinking I should go ahead and upgrade to 1.06 now…..

I think the problems were mainly if you didn't have IC hardware installed. Would probably recommend either way I suppose.

#10988 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:Sorry if this is a frequently asked question. I did search the thread but I didn't see a clear answer.
Just a got a new premium and I am having trouble with the auto-launch not making it all the way around to the right flipper. Here is what I have done:
- Game is level (left-right) and at about 6.5deg
- Tried changing the plunger strength at 245 and 250 but that didn't fix it.
- Checked out the plunger coil and everything looks clean and tight
- There is sometimes a little rattle on plunge but generally it shots straight and still may not make it around
- A full hand plunge will make it around about 75% of the time, auto is maybe 20%
I am guessing this is a typical issue so hoping there is a known fix before I dig any deeper. Thank in advance.

The below is in the thread pinned topics & probably the route I’m gonna go. My manual plunge made it around sometimes when I got it - I noticed it was quite a bit off-center so I adjusted it thinking that would make it better. With it centered it is…worse. I noticed on slo-mo it seems to roll right and hit the right rail. I have to slo-mo an auto-launch too, might raise the right side of the metal fork a bit with a washer.

My auto-plunge is mostly successful but does seem to lose effectiveness as the game goes on.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/145#post-6332227

#10989 1 year ago

One thing I noticed today - the groove in my shooter lane isn’t centered. Is that a thing on AIQ?

Maybe it’s an optical illusion…

597514D1-B28C-46C3-8594-5814DD50C9A7 (resized).png597514D1-B28C-46C3-8594-5814DD50C9A7 (resized).png

1 week later
#11014 1 year ago

I told this guy to kick rocks today. Had battled once (and failed) not long after adding the game to my lineup but lately haven't even gotten to BOM. Had been trying to rack up portal locks and get multiballs ready before any gem modes for a bit, and recently simplified my game plan back to “if you start a gem mode quick, make it reality and work into Thor”. Paid off fairly quickly.

5C88F409-8BF7-43DC-9707-9A3FD78E8120 (resized).png5C88F409-8BF7-43DC-9707-9A3FD78E8120 (resized).png
#11016 1 year ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

So it made me wonder: It there any kind of 3D printed fix for ball rattle on the AIQ machines?

I don't think there's any one-size-fits-all for AIQ. I'd say take a slow-mo video and try to make some adjustments from there.

Not sure if your issues are primarily with the manual plunger, auto launcher, or both. Stern auto launchers are no stranger to consistency issues. You could try the auto launcher coil suggested by awesome1 in the thread stickies. I think it is fairly common for folks to replace the spring on the manual plunger for a more powerful spring as well (which I think is mentioned in the same sticky post).

#11020 1 year ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

My game had trouble with a full plunge so I made these little plastic things I call plunger pucks (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5564053). It might not seem like you're having short plunge issues, but something to consider. I can send you a couple too if you want - just pm me.

Do those stay pretty snug inside the rubber? Might have a 3d printer friend make me one to try out, the stock shooter rod seems like it sits awfully far back.

#11052 1 year ago

Am I left to reaching out to distributor or Stern for getting a pre-IC Pro apron decal? I moved the IC QR reader to the coin door. Plan on printing custom apron cards below but curious about the decal itself.

7BA6F6F5-ABD0-43C5-8932-53925343CFC1 (resized).jpeg7BA6F6F5-ABD0-43C5-8932-53925343CFC1 (resized).jpeg
#11070 1 year ago

Ultra mega super secret skill shot

EABD7841-27C8-4F91-93BE-54D5E7B18BF7 (resized).jpegEABD7841-27C8-4F91-93BE-54D5E7B18BF7 (resized).jpeg
#11077 1 year ago

What’s everyone’s top Strange disc RPM? I feel like this is a more fun value to universally compare vs. scores which can be more dependent on settings, etc.

I set a new one at 1471 tonight. All that talk of even playing field aside, I did recently install John’s precision pinball disc.

#11083 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I beleive the RPMs also depend on how close the magnet is to the magnetometer sensor. I remember having mine perilously close when I set a 1470 record. When I switched to using a credit card to set the gap, I rarely get over 600-700 even with the precision disc and bearing holder.

I think Stern said 1/16” gap? I gapped mine close to that, eyeballed vs. used a feeler gauge, and in the test menu was getting low #s. I moved it as close as I could w/o touching and if I continuously rotate and hit Start in test there’s some positions that read as low as the 20s still. Most read in the 500s. Seems to work fine in the game.

2 weeks later
#11128 1 year ago

I assume there's probably no way to stop Gem Mania from killing flippers & draining upon completion? Just curious as I finished the mode in a game where I had high-scoring victory laps going + thor multiball stacked with it so my "reward" for completing it didn't feel great.

#11145 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I had 3 gems when I started Thanos Attacks and luckily ball save was still running as I had a quick drain and then beat Thanos for 114 Million and then had a good 435M Super Victory Laps Multiball!

To describe my relationship with Thanos Attacks, I’ll sum it up with a bad forced AIQ pun: Dr. Strange & The Glove: or How I Learned To Stop Worrying About Losing a Gem and Love Thanos Attacks.

I think I saw the other day that my best Thanos Attacks score (a little over 200m) is about twice as high as my best Battle Thanos score…

#11152 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

... almost all games on it have been played by me. At most 50 - 100 by others.

I don’t think my wife is ever gonna come around on AIQ. It’s been a good test of “does this game hook the casual player but also have enough for the seasoned player”. She’s pretty far down the casual side, but just doesn’t like the ramp shots…which is a bit odd because she gravitates towards center shots. That said I guess I rarely make BW from an inlane vs a catch.

My pin buddy & I like it quite a bit. Need to dial in BP orbit - hell sometimes the ball seems like it just catches air entering the orbit - but unfortunately it behaves better from a catch which is the only way I can slo-mo test it without getting someone else to help. Arrived at the right time for me as I just recently finally got to Valinor on LOTR after owning for 10 years.

#11164 1 year ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

There's someplace to order these from Stern? I can only imagine this would not be covered by warranty, this long after purchase.

Stern will help out sometimes outside of strict warranty period, esp given that this doesn’t seem like the operator’s fault (when I got my pro, it was latest build / very low plays and the locking nut was just hanging loose / the tip of the shaft was rubbing a bit against the sensor). Probably the bigger pain will be it might take them a while to get anything out to you.

#11201 1 year ago

Plus John has the keyed shafts out now, so good time to buy a set with the whole package. Can crank that down to your heart’s content!

1 week later
#11251 1 year ago

These cling-on vinyl cabinet protectors from Titan almost seem like they were made for AIQ

0C007517-8C47-4EA1-857A-71E1B5845F15 (resized).jpeg0C007517-8C47-4EA1-857A-71E1B5845F15 (resized).jpeg
#11257 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Ahhhhh….that makes sense. Any chance that you would know the specific part numbers for the sleeve, coil stop, and the plunger?

Page 43 here: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/AvengersInfinity_LE_Pre_web.pdf

#11264 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

I'm still a new owner but it seems that this pin gets dirty faster than my others. I have GZ, Mando and TMNT. Am I just seeing things or is this common?

Could travel dirt a bit more if premium due to subway, depending on cleaning regiment? Not sure what Mando and TMNT have in that respect.

1 week later
#11318 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I'm basically in this exact same position! I rarely play AIQ anymore because I've essentially "accomplished everything" many times and good games are 60 - 90+ minutes long.
I still love the game, but I've been playing my other games almost exclusively, especially Godzilla since there is still more for me to experience in it.
I do have long layoffs from playing a pin or two in my collection from time to time, but still enjoy playing all of them. For my first year of AIQ ownership - I played it almost exclusively and have put ~3800 plays on it now after 2+ years of ownership.
I'll admit that the thought of possibly trading AIQ for something else has crossed my mind. Maybe Stranger Things Premium?

I would think you would tire of STh, as you are a better player than I & at just over 200 plays, I wouldn’t mind seeing it get traded out for something with more going on. But at least it should be pretty easy to sell if you give it a try.

STh I’d say my average games are longer than AIQ. AIQ also takes more mental concentration.

#11331 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I think its resale/trade value isn't that great. AIQ has been in production for years and everybody who wants one has it. When I look at the wishlists for people's trade ads, almost every time they've already got or previously owned AIQ. And the theme is getting a little dated now that the Thanos movies are a few years past. Premiums like ours seem to be going for well under $8k now.

Yeah, it seems like value return on AIQ is currently low along with Rush and Mando. We’ll see how that goes as it eventually moves out of production. Which was good news for me! (and still may be if I look to upgrade to a premium).

Not sure if it’s layout or rules where some people find it difficult. It seems casual players have a harder time winning a mode vs. other games, and at that point, they have to deal with placing a gem & don’t understand that. Then if they play well enough & reach Thanos Attacks, it feels punishing.

Some of that probably carries over to people that understand the game and just aren’t Keith Elwins. That same variability and challenge is a plus for a home game for me. The shots are fun and it will take me a long time to score where I want (probably main goal right now = Battle Thanos holding all the gems).

#11349 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m thinking about joining the club with a pro or premium is the premium worth the upgrade what’s the difference ?
Also is this game beginner friendly or hard at all ?
Also not sure if we are allowed to talk prices but what would be a ballpark good price for a premium with taxes/delivery/setup included
Thanks guys

I've seen a fair share of premiums anywhere from $7800-8500 in the last few months. Good value on the used market if you can find one nearby. Pros probably $6000-6400. I wish I would have gotten the premium but the captain marvel vertical ramp and the subway can be finicky from what I've seen.

It is a challenging game and it hasn't been a big hit shots-wise nor progression-wise for beginners in my basement. Theme-wise it could be a miss if people are expecting the movie vs. the comic books (though there is movie code out there).

#11353 1 year ago
Quoted from solid_snake:

I'd just go with the Pro on this one. I have a Premium and the Captain Marvel ramp is awesome but that's really the only thing missing on the Pro, and you at least get an additional spinner on the Pro as well. The rising disc and viewable portal sound cool on paper but it really isn't that satisfying when you're playing. Just save yourself a few thousand and get a nice Pro.

You miss out on some interesting score multiplication hijinx potentials with pro CM, along with the satisfaction of the shot. But those are some pretty advanced level tactics re: blowing the score up. My main gripe is sometimes it takes two rips to complete a “shot” to CM on pro (soul gem) and it generally returns to right flipper.

I would like the Antman VUK too vs having to hit Antman & then hit the right ramp. These things are very minor though.

#11357 1 year ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

To me, the widow-marvel-iron man combo is one of the most satisfying combos ever. Then you can finish it off with the Hawkeye inner loop.

That’d be nice. I’m a big fan of Widow - right ramp - upper loop - Hulk. Very satisfying.

#11367 1 year ago

There’s also Thanos Attacks that technically gets in the way of endgame progression. I generally don’t even see the few casual players that come over to my place get there, but I know personally if I choose hard mode & blow the SG (and don’t get a BOM super), I tend to make it to Battle Thanos more often.

#11369 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Both of these are really counterintuitive and non-expert players would never think of playing the game that way. It's a fair point to criticize the leaky game design, but you can either be mad at it or accept and roll with it.

I’m still cool with it since Thanos Attacks is progressively lucrative enough that it’s a good risk / reward choice. You can opt to try to play through quicker, but to me the lasting appeal of pinball is chasing that “one great game” and this adds to that challenge (if you want it to).

1 week later
#11434 1 year ago

To me IC is nice to have but I don’t know that I’d add it if I had a machine that could upgrade into it.

#11457 1 year ago
Quoted from PocketHoleshot:

If your game has a lot of plays, more than a few thousand, a fresh set of flipper coil stops and sleeves will freshen them up. Cheap and easy.

I’d say go ahead and do coil stops immediately, even on a brand new Stern. But yeah verify flipper power and/or reset all settings to factory.

My AIQ also had a bind in the right flipper, noticed it when I checked vertical play of the bat off the bushing. It had play but didn’t make a nice clean “thonk” when it raised, action was more mushy. Ended up being the angle of the EOS arm thingy was off, probably when the clamp screw was cranked down (from factory). Noticeably easier to make the widow shot after tweaking it (and also more fun airballs off the sanctum target).

#11460 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Thanks I will try new ones .. .. are they sold on pinball life can anyone share a link of the correct coil stops to buy

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

Might as well buy a handful, and anything else you think you could need, to get the most out of paying for shipping.

#11462 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

It’s like it feels when I make the black widow shot it’s just enough power to get up that steep ramp

One thing I noticed is when watching a video of someone else playing, they were able to hit the widow ramp from an inlane return to the right flipper. I was not able to do that before tweaking my mech. It really opens up some combos if you can’t do that currently.

#11485 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Also keep in mind there should be a slight gap between the flipper and the surface of the playfield. Retightening with the bottom of the flipper too high or too low from the surface of the playfield can also impact flipper performance. Too high would have the bottom of the rubber hitting the ball and driving it more into the playfield instead of straight ahead and too low would have the flipper rubbing on the playfield, reducing power.
You can use a credit card or something similar in thickness under the flipper to maintain the correct flipper gap as you retighten.

And it was here where I had my issue on AIQ - it had the appropriate gap but when testing from the topside by grabbing the base of the flipper and pulling up, my left flipper “snapped” with a clear audible thunk as I am used to, whereas my right flipper still pulled up but felt…mushy and didn’t audibly thunk / clack. Using very technical terms here.

#11487 1 year ago

You can see Lloyd both set and at the end test the vertical play/gap off the playfield here. The Sterns are a bit different because they have the hex screw to crank down on vs a nut:

Can use a credit card or a feeler gauge, and if you look from the underside of the playfield as you grab the flipper from the topside & initiate any vertical play, you can also measure the gap from the underside.

#11511 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I’ve swapped coil stops on my games but haven’t found that it was necessary in any case under 2500 games. I think there have been bad batches for sure, but I think Pinside group think tends to inflate the severity of the issue, much like the dreaded magnetized balls that get brought up and so often blamed as the cause of so many unrelated problems.

I’ve been 2/2 on newer Stern games that had sticky flipper action, loose stops & gold dust in the first 100 plays and it’s obviously a very common issue across the forum. Anyone can feel free to evaluate and only replace when necessary - or you can spend a few bucks and work with 4 or 6 easily accessible screws and pretty much forget about it for a long time.

#11529 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

The biggest must as with all Sterns is to turn down the trough eject power, to the lowest number that consistently makes the eject. Also replace the coil stops and sleeves after a few hundred plays.
Most of the problems for AIQ are on the premium model - unreliable subway, balls falling out of the Captain Marvel ramp or wireform, Ant-man scoop wear. With a Pro, there really aren't any common problems. Just the standard places for wear - shooter lane, drop targets, trough - and you can get standard protectors for those if you want.
A flipper cooling kit might be desirable if you play long sessions - the flippers can weaken and have trouble making the steep ramps - although that's less of an issue on a Pro without the Captain Marvel ramp.
The Sanctum target can give airballs from being bent upwards by impacts - some people install a stronger bracket there. Also some people want a mod for the lights above it, to more clearly see the extra ball and add-a-ball lights, though I never found that to be a problem.

For a pro I think you probably still want a washer under the far right rail by Antman if not other rails (I think the antman one was the most common culprit for digging into the playfield). There's some info in the thread about it.

3 weeks later
#11626 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Back legs up all the way front legs pretty far up too….

With AIQ I really want to re level the entire machine like drop all the legs to equal level then start over not sure if it’s good idea….

It’s just leveling legs, it’s not going to ruin anything.

I generally leave the fronts all the way low and raise the back legs until desired pitch. Usually only raising the fronts if I need to make a small side-to-side correction.

I usually measure down by the flippers / slings. Can put a ruler across the top of the slings to make sure you have a consistent point of reference for your level device.

3 weeks later
#11742 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Thank you so much again this is great to hear ; I was just worried I wouldn’t be able to find the right screws;
I assume (anyone chime in) most screws in pinball machines are easily accessible at hardware stores if that is true I’m super thrilled!

I go to Ace Hardware - they generally have a ton of screws/washers/nuts/etc loose in bulk where you can shuffle thru the endless bins to match up what you need and just buy anywhere from 1 to however many you need. Home Depot and Lowes where I'm at, everything is enclosed in bags and in some minimal quantity.

1 week later
#11777 1 year ago

If you grab each lower flipper around the base and pull up, do they both feel the same / "clunk" the same? The right flipper on my pro did not / felt mushy vs. a clean clunk and when I addressed that (adjusted angle of the EOS actuator arm thinger when tightening down the crank arm screw) I definitely had more snap on the right flipper. Was not able to hit the widow ramp from an inlane feed before - only from a trap, but I could afterwards.

(This also started more fun airballs from my sanctum target when hit with the right flipper, including randomly hopping up onto the return rail)

#11790 1 year ago

If you’re doing videos you could do one of pulling up on both flippers for me. The issue I had wasn’t super obvious & I could see someone overlooking it. (At the same rate it might be difficult to capture on video but maybe worth a shot - probably more the sound it would make than anything)

1 week later
#11803 1 year ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Good observations! I have the machined aluminum disc as well as the thrust bearing thingy and it behaves just like this too.
The drawback of having it settle where it does is that it blocks the sanctum shot (and CA loop a bit). That changes how the mind gem quest plays, I am much more mindful of shooting that strobing avenger each time before hitting the disc.
On the whole, I am very pleased with this mod. I had it for several months before I installed it, and after a few games I thought “why didn’t I do this before!”

The sanctum is definitely more difficult to hit - I tend to try to get a weird bounce off a shallow upper flipper shot more than anything. It also generally means the first Hawkeye challenge can't be won simply by holding the left flipper out. But it is cool just how freely it spins otherwise.

#11818 1 year ago

The shooter lane bubble on one of my machines is way off - don’t use that as Bible.

Use a reference spot on the playfield with a ruler for measurement sake. Adjust the back legs to different levels and play test the game. Note the reference spot + your digital level to record your optimal pitch.

3 weeks later
#11866 11 months ago

Recently I had gotten pulled away by the other two (currently working) games in my collection where I focused on each for a little bit and beat them both for the first time. So I've come back to AIQ.

I feel like the opposite is happening here. I'm getting worse! Here's my typical session now:

- alright, power up this machine. I'm ready to make some progress! Hit the start button...that PoMC intro and music are pumping me up! F yeah, let's get it! Let me try for that portal lock skill shot!

- ok, skill shot missed. But no worries! Some warm-up shots here...oh shit yeah Widow to gauntlet to upper loop! Combo time! Man, this game shoots great! So much fun! Awesome, combo portal lock! OK, let's start a mode. Spin the disc, get my portal lock, and...

- oh, the ball caromed off the disc post into danger and got anywhere NEAR the outlane and drained. Well, that sucks. Ah well, we'll get 'em back on the next ball!

- launch ball, start a gem mode. Ok, let's go for power, I wanna get that on Panther as quick as possible. With two balls this should be easy! While it's early why don't I go ahead and try to get Thor started for some insurance....ok, I get it, NOW I hit the Panther orbit cuz I'm aiming for Thor. Wait, AGAIN? Ok, finally a Thor hit

- oh, one ball drained? That's ok, probably within the ball save window. No? Crap. Well let's make some progress on the mode I guess and still try to hit Thor.
- well, didn't start Thor, but finished the mode! Nice! Now surely it can't be hard to get this to the flippers to get at least ONE shot at the hard-to-make Panther to place it....

- oh it hit the pops / targets on the way to the flipper? Well that's not optimal but I can move the gem later I guess. Let's spin the disc to start another mo....wait, how did it graze the captive ball on its own?? Great now useless unstacked Thor mb starts. Let's play that to at least enjoy some Zeppelin tunes for a few minutes....ok. Now hit the disc again and....crap, outlane AGAIN??

- ball 3 and I've gotten nowhere! Well let's try, I dunno, the Mind Gem I guess, who cares, I'm gonna lose this game soon.

- Mind Gem completed! OK! Some momentum maybe! Let's put it on Widow so we can build it up for soul gem FUCK IT HIT THE POPS / TARGETS HOW

- ah well, let's spin the wheel and start Soul Gem. Not really in the mood for hard mode, just get me the gem

- ok, that wasn't so bad! Ehh since I have a Pro and can't do 5894x multiplier shenanigans on Marvel let's plop it wherever I guess

- alright, maybe we can make some progress in the game! Oh, Thanos Attacks. Well I guess I don't care too much about the time gem let me see if I can defend that oh flank attack and it picked the power gem, ok. Great. I'll just defend that th....oh, it saw an outlane from 10ft away and had to jump in. Game over!

#11868 11 months ago

Mostly just being funny....MOSTLY. But also venting a bit. I've blown up STh and DP over 4.5bil, and I know what I want_ to do on AIQ, but the execution just isn't there nearly as consistently as some other games. Which is a plus, as it gives me something to work towards.

1 week later
#11886 11 months ago
Quoted from Savageroots:

Is this what I would be looking for from pinball life?
https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html
I was looking at pinball life and seems like a lot of coil sleeves on there. Anyone have handy the part?
Thanks for the help all

If you google "Stern avengers infinity quest manual" you can get there pretty quick, and the newer PDFs are text-searchable so you can CTRL+F for "coil sleeve". The flippers should all be 545-5388-00

1 week later
#11914 11 months ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Got to try a bunch of newer machines and Foo Fighters is probably at the top of my list of what I played and don't already own. It reminded me a bit of AIQ with the combos and flow. I think it would have long play times in a home setting similar to AIQ as well, which may be a slight downside. The band isn't one of my favorites (I don't really dislike them either), but the way Stern did the theme is really good in my opinion.

I have a deposit on a 2nd run Foo.
My wife is a big fan of the band and I think I’m the same as you - they’re ok for me - but the pin looked great so I threw my $ in.

Played 6 games on a pro and had a 400m and 600m game without really knowing what I was doing. Which was basically 3 cities and thru the first mini-wizard mode.

I think it will be like DP, which is the easiest game in my basement. But 1) that’s a plus for the wife & friends that are casual players as they can see more of the game and 2) it still seems awfully fun theme-wise like DP to where I’ll still play it. The upper PF adds some to the challenge re: premium / LE.

That said you are 2-3x the player as me so take that with a few grains of salt.

#11931 11 months ago
Quoted from SDX10:

Just a pricing question, as I am looking at potentially joining the AIQ club soon. There is a local (about an hour away) AIQ pro listed at $5700. That seems like a decent price, but is it a "oh my gosh, let me grab my cash and I'll be there asap" kind of price? It's sat on the facebook market for over a month, so it seems like this machine isn't moving particularly fast. Could just be the market right now, I guess. All that being said, I am familiar with the game, and I do really enojoy it, just slightly concerned about the future value of this machine when I'm looking to sell/trade (most likely years down the road, so who really knows). Thanks!

I see Pros for $6k or a little less and some Premiums in the mid $7ks. I have to think that's pretty much going to be the floor for AIQ pricing, and that it will take a while (years) to have a slow potential rise, and at least for the next couple years, if you are looking to sell, it might take a little bit of time.

1 month later
#12012 9 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Yes, that is normal behavior. The gems are flickering to start with. When Thanos has them (it's Thanos's gauntlet), they light up. When the Avengers have them, they go OUT on the gauntlet, because they are on the playfield instead. The goal is to make the lights on the gauntlet go OUT because that means Thanos doesn't have them.
Dimly flickering = not contested yet
Bright = Thanos has it
Off = You have it (it's on the playfield instead)
Flashing = Quest is currently in progress

Off = "just about to be re-taken by Thanos in Thanos Attacks"

1 month later
#12087 8 months ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

Thanks guys! Has anyone tried them from Pinsider RavSpec?

Yeah, seemed to work just fine.

#12092 8 months ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

I’m sorry, it’s SlapDrain the Pinsider. Is that the one you’re referring to?

Going back to my order, it says SlapDrain @ RavSpec.

#12098 8 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

AIQ lasted me about a year and roughly 1000 games total. I accomplished everything there was to do on it, beat Thanos somewhere around fifty times, then I was done with it and traded it. Whether a year is long term is a matter of perspective, anyone might rotate out games more or less often than that. I'm good enough to reach and finish wizard modes on almost everything, so I have more of a sense of being done with a machine.

I beat Thanos in the first week without really knowing what I was doing / much about the ruleset. Of course one of the cool things about AIQ is how you beat it / how you play thru the modes will greatly change your scoring (esp if you have a premium/LE). I've had mine for about a year with a goal of getting all of the gems and beating Thanos for that immediate 1bil. Alas I haven't gotten there and it looks like I'll be swapping the game out this weekend.

"Is it a keeper??" is as subjective as "should I get it? / should I get pro vs. other models?". I can say for me my wife more or less has avoided AIQ since the first couple weeks and in general it's not as casual friendly. Personally I like the game, especially with one of the non-stock code options, but even I've found myself going to my other two games more often recently for a better fun-factor of trying to beat them (not for the first time) and getting on the high score board along the way vs. the punishing grind of AIQ.

It would help to me if any/all of the following were true:
- the right orbit BP shot wasn't clunky. I tried to analyze in slow-mo and see if I could adjust anything but didn't make much headway. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it clunks.
- the sanctum target was easier to hit - my Dr. Strange disc post is almost always in the way and so it's more trying to slop something from the upper flipper vs. a shot I feel rewarded with hitting, which is important since it's the EB shot, etc.
- Antman was easier to hit - on my pro it pretty much has to slop in there from slings, etc. Would be useful to add a ball or change gems when I want to, esp with my main goal being getting the power gem on BP early.

In the end it's not worth worrying much if a game is gonna be a keeper or not. It either will or you can trade it out for something else.

1 month later
#12181 6 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

But yeah, besides those there is no distinction between the combos; really only Jurassic and Godzilla have done that.

Venom & Bond as well, and Foo seemingly has more coming in code with the combotron / specific combos. Seems to be more commonplace in recent games.

#12194 6 months ago

I was a pro owner and to me the only minus was not being able to do absolutely ridiculous point blow up stuff with gem strategies & the Marvel ramp. But I struggled enough with trying to achieve optimal gem strategies for normal game progression as it was.

#12210 6 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

So I got my AIQ Pro yesterday. Put in a couple dozen [quick] games on it so far and it seems to be working well. The ruleset is thicc but I’ve got the basics down (spin disc > right ramp > win gem > place gem > repeat).
However, this game is an outlane side-drain MONSTER. Even with the pins moved to the ‘easy’ position and a 6.9° slope, the slings and basic playfield rebounds side drain waaaay too often. I’m not a great nudger and I worry that this is just gonna discourage me from playing it, like TMNT did.

The design of the top of the sling post being (that much) higher than the top of the outlane post = a perfect path for a ball being pulled down by gravity to find a cozy home / make it more difficult to late nudge to any success.

1 week later
#12256 5 months ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Anyone having an issue with the auto launch sending the ball into the back panel or not making it around to the right flipper? Wondering what the fix has been?

If you search autolaunch in here there are a number of attempts at a fix. It’s never going to be 100%, there’s a fair amount of slop in the Stern autolaunch mech + other variables (guides, pitch, level, etc). I think awesome1 went as far as a stronger coil on the mech, probably in the stickies.

You’re gonna find autolaunch issue posts in any Stern owners thread where the autolaunch has any length of travel / actually has to do more work than spit a ball haphazardly onto the field of play.

#12260 5 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I agree here. The comic art stuff doesn't age, but video clips get dated and repetitive. GOTG is the other big example, it's just a drag to keep watching clips of a mid-tier movie that's ten years old now. And Stranger Things is also dated like Mando. Also I just played a JP with the movie code for the first time, and that also felt jarring and dated. (And one weird take on this is Rush - the concert footage feels dated, but as deliberate design that fully fits in with the time machine theme as a tribute.)
The comic stuff stays fresh because it's not conveying a single moment, but the essence and design of the characters, which are timeless. Deadpool of course is the other big example that matches AIQ.

Honestly everything in playing a game, pinball included, is repetitive by definition. It's not like you're seeing new instances of the comic art when you play - you're watching the same ...well I can't really say "clips" in terms of what AIQ displays on the LCD. Watching the same largely static images over and over. Hearing the same callouts over and over. Playing the same modes over and over. That can't be avoided, but whether or not the repetition becomes grating to you over time on any particular game is subjective.

To that note you're not going to find many people rushing to the aid of AIQ in terms of theme integration. Pretty widely regarded as one of the big minuses of the game. The custom code options can help it a little depending on if you prefer movie or comic themes, but the meat here is still largely the shots/layout and the rules.

1 week later
#12281 5 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

On my seemingly-infinite quest (heh) to dial in my AIQ Pro, I think I’ve settled at 6.8° being the sweet spot angle, and I’ve leveled out the spinning disc, but I’ve still got one more big challenge:
The auto-plunge usually doesn’t make it around and up the ramp to the right flipper return, even at full strength. Even a full plunge from the orange-springed shooter rod doesn't always do it. The pinballs are new and demagnetized, and I can’t find any obstructions in the ball’s path. The auto plunger bracket appears to be straight, too. Any ideas what to check for next?

There's a lot in here (and really in other Stern owners threads) about shooter lane adjustments and tweaks and theories. Probably best summed up in this key'd post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/145#post-6332227

My conclusions have generally been given the slop in the Stern auto-launch mech and the slight variances in games in terms of pitch / level / construction, the Stern launcher is never going to be perfect & the games that have a longer launch travel path are going to be the ones where this will be more noticeable. The red spring did make my old Pro pretty reliable on manual launches at least. Auto-launches depended on very minute differences in playfield cleanliness/wax, the general mood of Thanos and the game at the time, and the current picture of sunspot activity in the solar system.

#12295 5 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Spinning the disc never earns a portal lock. Spinning the disc opens the portal to begin the next quest. Mystery never earns a portal lock either.
Portal locks are earned by shooting combos, the secret skill shot (plunge to the upper end of the Hawkeye loop), Hawkeye Challenge (once), or from the computer grid (once). Once earned, shoot the portal to collect the portal lock. If you earn more than two portal locks, any extras will wait until the next gem quest.

Spinning the disc is how a portal lock is collected on a pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 19.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rockville, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blizz81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=blizz81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.