IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Williamson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8016 2 years ago

Hi, everyone, I joined the club a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying the game. Thanks for all of the helpful posts in this thread!

I had an issue where the spinning disc became loose on the rod, so the plastic disc was wobbly and didn’t always turn the rod when it spun. In order to fix this I removed the disc assembly (using the steps described in Stern’s “Avengers IQ Premium/LE Disc Leveling Bushing” instructions: https://o.pinside.com/f/f6/22/ff622811a56579c315112da0ea11441c518ca2a5.pdf), took the disc apart, and tightened the screw holding the disc to the rod (#8 in the diagram).

After this fix, the disc is nice and tight on the rod (with no wobble), but I noticed that solid hits to the disc no longer resulted in many spins. Instead, the ball hitting the disc makes a sort of buzzing sound, and this vibration seems to suck away all of the energy of the shot. See video below:

You can see that the disc (usually) spins freely when I spin it by hand, but this vibration/buzzing seems to cause the disc to not spin well when actually hit by the ball. I also get this buzzing when spinning the disc in the “UP” position, so it is not interference between the disc and ring/playfield. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas for things to check? Are there things that I might have done wrong in removing/disassembling the disk?

I’m not very mechanically inclined, so please feel free to recommend obvious things to check! Thanks in advance!

AEEE4B34-138C-4BCB-9DE2-AB631CB18409 (resized).jpegAEEE4B34-138C-4BCB-9DE2-AB631CB18409 (resized).jpeg
#8025 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Quoted from awesome1:

Have you set the gap according to page 3 in this adjustment procedure?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/84#post-6052220
Sounds like something is rubbing/binding. If above doesn't work, I would slowly rotate the disc with the playfield up to help narrow it down.

I did set the gap after reinstalling the disc assembly, and I had an FS reading in the 400’s in all positions. I had a look, and the proper gap is still there, so I don’t think the magnet is rubbing on the sensor.

Quoted from c818919taylor:

On the bottom of part “7” there is a washer and “e” chip. Maybe touching the lifting mechanism causing friction. Check the distance between the washer and the mech.
Also, Precision Pinball makes a very nice replacement product.

I had a look at this washer, and it seems to have plenty of clearance as the disc rotates. I also removed the nut, washer, and clamp, and I still sometimes hear the buzzing when I spin the disc, so it doesn’t seem to be any of those components interfering. It’s almost like the rod itself is buzzing against the brass bushing under the jam nut?

Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Also that vibration noise is most likely coming from the base of the plastic rubbing against the bronze bushing it rests on, it's not the best set up, but it works.

Or, maybe this is what is going on. Just curious; do others with a factory disk hear this “buzzing”/vibration when they hit the disc post with a pinball with the glass off? For an example, see the video in my previous post. If so, maybe this is normal.

Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

If you want the ultimate set up for the disc suggest you invest in my disc mod, it comes with complete instructions for installation and set up. It incorporates a Thrust Bearing that sits between the disc and the bronze bushing, so it eliminates the drag and friction between the moving parts. I'd go back and check to make sure you don't have something rubbing causing the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion; your mod looks great, and I would consider investing in one even if I get my plastic disc fixed!

#8031 2 years ago

Thanks again for the responses!

Too much or not enough clearance between the shaft and brass bushing or imperfections in the shaft and/or bushings? The bottom of the disk and the top of the mech (inside the lock) look smooth and not of interest?
Seems like is gets off axis just enough…suspect a clearance issue

Those interfaces, the shaft, and bushings look and feel ok, from what I can tell. Maybe there is a little bit of extra clearance between the rod and bushing, as I can move the disk a very tiny bit from side to side while it is in place? Or maybe this is normal…

Quoted from Sleal16:

Forgot what its called exactly, bushing carrier? That needs to be replaced (either by stern or 1956pinhead carrier upgrade is a fantastic improvement).

My machine is new from Cointaker with 1.02 code, so I assume it would already have this Stern upgrade?

Quoted from Sleal16:

A temporary fix if it is the bushing popping off from the carrier is very carefully applying some super glue to the bushing to have it stay in its spot. Either way, check the status of those bushing first.

The bushing is fortunately still in place. I don’t see any obvious issues with the bushings.

Precision Pinballs mod is how it should have been manufactured.

This advice seems to be universal. Rather than continuing to tinker with it, I have ordered both the disc mod and bearing carrier mod. I’m looking forward to putting them in and seeing how the disc performs!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.00
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
$ 19.00
10,185 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 16.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Williamson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=Williamson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.