IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #816 LE with T-moulding changed to yellow Posted by SKWilson (3 years ago)

Post #1417 Fix for Hawkeye loop not registering Posted by EaglePin (3 years ago)

Post #1797 How to adjust height of spinning disc to prevent airballs Posted by dbb143 (3 years ago)

Post #1847 Rules writeup with link to Stern rule sheet Posted by Flippersaurus (3 years ago)

Post #1870 Fix for spinning disc not registering hits Posted by WizardsCastle (3 years ago)

Post #1950 TECH: Pic of updated subway mech from Stern to replace broken one Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2056 Fix for ball hangups and habitrail adjustment to stop ball hangup. Posted by hocuslocus (3 years ago)

Post #2125 TECH: Tight glass fix. Posted by MurphyPeoples (3 years ago)

Post #2163 Avengers LE with chrome T-molding Posted by Lermods (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#584 3 years ago

Best way to level a machine using your phone is to open up your Amazon app and order a real digital level.
At least remember it will only be as good as whatever you are calibrating it on. So if that countertop or bar isn't perfectly level, neither is your app.
And never trust the damn bubble. Why Stern still wastes their time and money on those after cost reducing everything else possible is beyond me. I have seen machines where the bubble centers at 4 deg and machines where the bubble centers at 8. It's ridiculous.

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How is that possible? Haha. Just tighten the bubble level down and should but good right?

LOL...hell if I know. But they are often out of wack. If the rail they are on isn't perfectly flat and parallel to the playfield that will cause an issue too. I was exaggerating with 4-8, but for sure easily a degree out either direction, and that can make a big difference in how a game plays and proper mech performance.

#670 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I need to figure out this app to fine tune my pins as outside of a regular level on the glass to make sure that bubble is in the center for left right and also the bubble on the pin itself being between the two lines I'm not real swift with this Pinguy app. One problem I have when laying my phone on the glass without any cover on it is it slides down the playfield on me. Do you guys leave a case on the phone or what works best? Are there step by steps or a video somewhere of how to do this best? Also does a digital level give you pitch as well as centering left to right? Sorry for a bunch of questions just thought I'd try to get this right for my Premium once it arrives.

Never measure anything on the glass. Measure directly on the playfield. I do not use the phone app levels, but if you calibrate with the case on, you would leave the case on. A real digital level will measure both. Place it side-to-side to measure level, flip it to front-to-back to measure pitch. Measure at multiple places around your playfield. Nearly all playfields have minor warp, slightly raised inserts, etc that will lead to different measurements at different spots. I usually measure as far up the pf as I can, near the middle, and right above the flippers then use a rough average between them.

1 week later
#1305 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Anyone know LEDs Stern are using these days in their games? I know it was cointaker for a while but they no longer have the CT markings on them.
Looking to upgrade some older games and I like the look of my newer Sterns lighting so trying to copy it as close as possible.

I have found Comet 2-smd to give a very similar look to what Stern uses. I change any visible to frosted which is easier on the eyes, but keeps a consistent look. Most Sterns seem to come with cool/natural white, and some machines I will warm up a bit with Sunlight color depending on the art. Games like GoT, SM, TWD look so much better with slightly warmer light. Sunlight is great as it's half way between cool and warm and looks great. Some machines look great in the standard natural though. For Avengers, I would probably lean towards keeping the cooler natural white due to all the blues on the pf. Either way, I think you'll be happy with Comet 2-smd frosted.

#1307 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club today with a Pro. I noticed that with a full plunge I can't get it up the ramp, it only goes to the base of the ramp. If I use the auto launch button it will make it up the ramp. My angle is around 6.5% so not insane. Is this how it's suppose to be set up, or should I put a different colored spring in it?

I would check your plunger alignment before changing the spring. If it isn't hitting right smack in the middle (left/right and up/down), it will likely have troubles. Unfortunately that is a common problem. It's usually fixable, but can be a bit of a pain and take some trial and error. If it's reasonably well centered and still too weak, then yeah...a stronger spring is a cheap and easy fix.

#1318 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I was pleasantly surprised to see the pro came with frosted gi from Stern. I always swap them myself immediately. Thanks Stern.

No kidding? That's fantastic news! The clear are just fine most places, but there are always a few exposed enough to be obnoxious. Really glad to hear they are using frosted now! Stranger Things is my newest and that is still all clear. Bummer as now I need to remember to order a few purple frosteds!

#1327 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Thanks Jedi, I have been reading the info over on Comets site and noticed they said something similar about the cool whites on blues and darker colours and the sunlight maybe even warm on the warmer bright coloured playfields. Makes perfect sense but I am going to try cool whites on Ironman even though there’s a lot of reds in the playfield.
Btw what’s the difference visually between the clear that come standard on newer Sterns and the frosted a lot of people buy and recommend? Does one disperse light better than the other? I don’t have any issues with the clear LEDs stern provide from factory on newer games, but curious now what the difference is with the frosted other than the obvious. Thanks.

Yeah...for Iron Man I would stick with natural (cool). Just seems to fit the theme better, although I have a buddy with one done in warm colors and it looks very nice that way too. No wrong answer on that machine. As for visual difference clear vs frosted...I haven't really seen much difference in output. Frosted might disperse a little better. They are certainly easier on the eyes not seeing the direct light glare. I honestly can't think of a disadvantage to frosted, other than where you need a directional bulb (and then you probably wouldn't use a dome style anyway).

#1340 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Let me know. I also had a scratch on my glass when I got mine. Crickets as usual from my distributor. Hard to take a pic of.
[quoted image]

I bet your distributor is looking at that pic trying to figure out why you want him to replace your scratched Tron coindoor.

1 month later
#3142 3 years ago
Quoted from Spaghetti73:

Too many?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Disney Infinity characters? I have all of them...really too bad the game "died". Great figures though. I've used them as toppers on a few games.

3 weeks later
#3689 3 years ago

I know many opinions differ, but I personally LOVE the motion comic style, and I think it works perfectly with the theme and game style. I love every animation I have seen. I think the team responsible for the art style and animation absolutely nailed it. My only (minor) complaint is the trophy room default screen. That, I will agree should be something more exciting and theme appropriate. Go ahead and show the trophy room when a trophy is earned, and maybe during the bonus countdown or end of the game so you can admire what you have earned, but it is out of place as the default screen. Even something as simple as a swirling vortex/portal, exterior shots of The Sanctum, Avengers Tower, Wakanda, etc...or even something like a quinjet or helicarrier flying around would work better. But again, that's just a minor complaint about an otherwise stellar A/V package in my opinion.

#3716 3 years ago

Avengers Assembled! Or “Yo Dawg I heard you like Avengers so I put an Avengers next to your Avengers”
4DC2FE8C-D372-41CF-8580-E4A383B0B813 (resized).jpeg4DC2FE8C-D372-41CF-8580-E4A383B0B813 (resized).jpeg56A736BE-008B-43AC-9644-8E868C424D36 (resized).jpeg56A736BE-008B-43AC-9644-8E868C424D36 (resized).jpeg30217164-E91F-4E1E-B79A-5026D8A1017D (resized).jpeg30217164-E91F-4E1E-B79A-5026D8A1017D (resized).jpeg48461FB6-1592-441D-947F-172B4301B02A (resized).jpeg48461FB6-1592-441D-947F-172B4301B02A (resized).jpeg232AAA61-2C1D-4264-9475-77191408DDFA (resized).jpeg232AAA61-2C1D-4264-9475-77191408DDFA (resized).jpeg5DBFDFA6-8966-4348-855C-5E0C4F3D01AD (resized).jpeg5DBFDFA6-8966-4348-855C-5E0C4F3D01AD (resized).jpeg

#3757 3 years ago

Got my Stern art blades installed. Love them! Also changed the white flipper bats to yellow. Not sure why they went with white on this one...
1B7D7BDB-DFF8-4122-9D22-372034C4A845 (resized).jpeg1B7D7BDB-DFF8-4122-9D22-372034C4A845 (resized).jpeg52C4CA69-B2CE-4062-9D5D-4F1C5983D06A (resized).jpeg52C4CA69-B2CE-4062-9D5D-4F1C5983D06A (resized).jpegA5A8B5D9-6719-4316-8C71-4B2FDEFBDDAF (resized).jpegA5A8B5D9-6719-4316-8C71-4B2FDEFBDDAF (resized).jpeg

#3791 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Love your AIQ beside your other Avengers pin! I'm contemplating picking the original back up myself. Two awesome pins that's for sure. Enjoy and agreed the art blades look great on this pin. Waiting for my Premium but have the blades ready to go once it comes in.

Thanks! I really love the original TAV, though I know I am one of it's few big fans. It took a heck of a lot of tweaking and adjusting to play right, but it's really a fun machine when done. I am very happy to have them together.

Quoted from dougPDX:

Where did you get the blades? Have not seen them on Stern... Looks great!

They are the official Stern ones. I got mine from Pinball Life, but I'm pretty sure Marco and the other usual places would have them.

#3890 3 years ago

I just got to and finished Battle Royale for the first time. That was intense! What a cool mode. Glad this was chosen as the challenge mode. I was staying away from it until hitting it "in game", but it's a great fit for a challenge mode.

I'm definitely looking forward to Thanos being back. I can only assume he was taken out to tweak the mode further, but it seemed to be pretty fleshed out in the early builds from watching Jack play it. Either way, it will be a nice treat when he's back. Really surprised (and excited) that we are only at 0.95. Can't wait to see how it ends up, but no rush from my end. Game is awesome as-is.

2 weeks later
#4290 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Hey, technically only a wanna-be member. I am very interested in this game but my wife is not very excited about it. I like games with deep rule sets and long plays (i.e. Simpsons PB, LotR) but she likes more straight forward shooters with more basic rules (i.e. Taxi, AFM). However we both like our Indiana Jones which has some deep rules, she likes it because as she says "I know what I am supposed to do". I am trying to convince her but watching game play the rules look pretty complex. Is this game fun for someone who isn't interested in learning a bunch of rules?

AIQ is one of those great games with VERY deep, complex rules, but with an extremely straightforward "first layer" that allows newer players to make cool stuff happen. Hit the cool spinning disc a few times to make it raise up, then shoot under it to start your choice of modes. Bash the Thor captive ball a few times to start a nice, exciting multiball. That's enough to keep most people happy right there. Then dig as deep as you want from there. Want a little more...try to hit each of the major shots multiple times to collect all the Avengers which starts the super unique Soul Gem mode. And there is tons more where that came from...

#4292 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Hey thanks a lot.
Any thoughts on this verses Jurassic Park (2019)?

No problem. I actually just kind of answered this in a TMNT thread comparing the three machines, so I'm just going to copy/paste the JP part of that here (check the TMNT thread if you want the whole comparison)...

"JP...eh. I had a super strong honeymoon period with it, but once that was over it was REALLY over. I have had very little urge to play it again. Good game, but it just didn't pull me in and I didn't find the shots or most of the modes all that satisfying (except T-Rex modes...those rock. Paddocks are a boring slog.). I freely admit I'm the oddball on that one though, and it's a well loved game for a reason."

I would say depth and complexity is fairly similar between AIQ and JP. As for that "first layer", I think AIQ has an advantage here, but JP is not terrible in that regard. It's just not quite as intuitive for first timers. Both are loaded with unique shots and rules, but for me personally AIQ is much more satisfying in both regards. The bulk of JP is playing the paddock modes, which I found to feel very repetitive and kind of a slog to get through. The bulk of AIQ is in the gem quests, and I found them all to be completely unique with a feel of their own. I will give JP props on the T-Rex modes though...those are awesome and unique and I can't really correlate anything in AIQ to them. At the moment, JP probably wins for better/more late game content, but AIQ is still a work in progress and once Thanos is back in the code, that could swing the other direction.

Both are great games. In the end, JP just wasn't a keeper for me, but I'm glad I had it for awhile. I could see having a change of heart with it someday and owning another, but for now I have had my fill and I do not really miss it much. AIQ I am still in the honeymoon with, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't a long term keeper here. I really love everything about it from the layout, to the rules, to the A/V assets, to the art. It's a total package for me.

Best of luck...you can't really go wrong!

#4306 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Out of curiosity: Which owners here are rocking AIQ and Deadpool in the home, and how do they co-exist?
I own and love Deadpool and have been back and forth on AIQ for quite some time now as my next pin. I haven't played in person, but the layout looks phenomenal and I put about 100 games on the Surrogate.tv feed, so I feel like I know what I would be getting. And next to Deadpool, AIQ seems to win out on shots but definitely lags in the energy department and is a push on general gameplay flow (hit shots, light battle, etc.).
We are renting Stranger Things right now, though, and next to Deadpool that game is also pretty low key (imo) in terms of music, callouts, and general energy level. I am still enjoying Stranger Things and find it to be a good mood complement to the general wackiness of Deadpool, which has kinda led me back to AIQ.
This is all a long way of asking: Will the gameplay flow on AIQ be too similar to that of Deadpool, or do they play well together? Thanks in advance for the help!

I do not currently own a DP, but I did in the past and hope to again. Awesome game. I do not see any reason they wouldn't work well together in a collection. There is very little overlap between them other than both being Marvel properties with amazing ZY art. I do not really see any gameplay similarities at all, other than neither game is a cookie-cutter layout. I think they would be a great compliment to each other (and each a nice compliment to STh for that matter).

#4393 3 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

hey, guys. just picked up a factory demo NIB yesterday. first boot i got a "no nodes found 189" error. hasn't happened since. is that normal for a new game?

Was the coin door open when you booted it? That can confuse it. Could have also been a loose connection or something. If it hasn't happened since, I wouldn't stress too much about it. If it happens again, reseat the node connectors.

#4425 3 years ago
Quoted from RPZ:

On Soul Gem Mode, does anyone feel like the first shot required should be on the other side of the playfield to give you the chance to hit it with the one flip? Fed to the right flipper and the shot required is Black Panther... I don’t get it.

Yeah...it definitely adds difficulty putting the ball on the wrong flipper for a shot I already have trouble with. All part of the fun. Since my machine rarely has the momentum to transfer cleanly over from either ball launch or upkicker, I usually use my first flip to hit the Black Widow ramp on the fly which gets me to the left flipper. I have better luck with that than fumbling around trying to post pass.

#4468 3 years ago

My wife getting fancy with her new Cricut.

5DBFF8F0-E863-4B70-BFA2-1F8A4875CD39 (resized).jpeg5DBFF8F0-E863-4B70-BFA2-1F8A4875CD39 (resized).jpegAAA1E7B7-16DF-4E4E-AC07-4FD3851E4C82 (resized).jpegAAA1E7B7-16DF-4E4E-AC07-4FD3851E4C82 (resized).jpeg
#4478 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Regarding the CM-Ramp, I'm still getting alot of rejects now.
My game is leveled and I'm at a pitch from 6.8 to 7°.
Flipper cooling kit is on the way but IMO that ramp should work with a clean shot without a cooling kit.
Look how the ball travels, its not touching the rails, and suddenly it turns to the left-
this would result in a hard reject if the plastic wouldn't be there.
However the ball beginns to rattle from there on and isn't able to make the whole ramp.
I will keep on testing with pitch but it looks like i have to call Stern for professional support.
[quoted image]

Honestly, it looks like it was a bit sloppy of a shot (too far left), and it is bouncing off of your added plastic and thrown to the right. I think at least on this shot, you would have been better off without the fix. Hard to say for sure though. I definitely find that a shot a bit further right, so it hugs the right side of the ramp, is more successful.

I love the CM ramp. Mine is stock, and I would say 90% of SOLID shots make it. Almost all misses or rejects are my own fault. Yes, there is an occasional reject, but they were either bad shots, or an on the fly shot that really rocketed in, and I can't blame the machine there either. I have thought about trying to add a plastic to see if it helps that last 10%, but so far I'm pretty happy with it as-is. It is definitely not a gimme shot like most modern ramps. It feels much more "old school" when a ramp was meant to be a tough shot.

#4553 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I used the 2-sided Gorilla "mounting Tape"... works great. Just make sure you try to maximize the tape area (for enough holding power) so the lexan piece affixes to the side of the ramp as close to the opto as you can get.
You could easily remove in the future if you ever wanted to.[quoted image]

Even though I was 90% happy with my CM ramp, I figured I would try adding the plastic to see how it went. I had an old inlane/outlane divider plastic protector laying around that was the perfect width, just needed to be cut to length. Attached with a piece of double sided tape, and it's wedged in place nicely so I do not think it will move. I have to admit, I am impressed. Not only does it allow a slightly sloppier shot to make it, it also smoothed out good shots. It's smooth as butter now. No, it is not a miracle worker that will allow a sloppy shot, but I'd say it took me from 90% of good shots making it to 99%. And I also like that it will keep the occasional ball from flying out the back of the wireform (only had this happen 2-3 times, but it was annoying).

I do not see this as a "cheat" at all. More like how we sometimes have to tweak the height of a ramp cover (original Avengers Black Widow ramp) or add a cover to help keep the ball down where it belongs (X-Men Rogue shot). It's more of a tweak then a mod in my mind. Not at all necessary for the shot to function, but it helps make it a bit more consistent. You have to remember this ramp and wireform are dealing with some pretty complex geometry with compound bends and angles. Once you take into account necessary manufacturing tolerances on both the ramp itself, the playfield attachment, hardware, etc, it's hard to expect 100% perfection for something this complex. It's way different than your typical ramp if you really think about it. I'm impressed it works as well as it does to be honest. And I'm pleasantly surprised how much of an improvement this super simple tweak made.

CF6F732D-2B51-49CC-AD31-442174BB88DA (resized).jpegCF6F732D-2B51-49CC-AD31-442174BB88DA (resized).jpeg
#4558 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Man, has anyone been on the "Stranger Things" owner's thread? Those guys are constantly coming up with mods and fixes to get the Pre/LE magnet lock or Demigorgan to work "properly".
Most of us AIQ owners just need a small piece of plastic!

Ha...yeah. I have one of those, but thankfully (?) I bought a pro, so no issues for me other than removing the chin spacer to make shoving a ball down stinky's throat easier.

That said, I just played a few more games on AIQ, and honestly I'm not sure how much difference the plastic is really making. I still had a handful of shots that seemed good get rejected. I think that's just going to be the nature of this ramp. It's going to be a tough shot no matter what. And it's fast enough that shots that looked good while playing could easily be just a bit too sloppy. I do not mind having a tough shot...reminds me of some of the classics when making a shot up a ramp was actually a big deal. I'd probably be a bit more worried about it if it were one of the main ramps that are needed more often. Sure, CM is important, but not as important as the other two. Thankfully she isn't one of the collectible Avengers for Soul Gem/BO/Battle Royale....then it would be much more annoying when rejected.

#4571 3 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I hope everyone with an LE/premium is enjoying their game, but I’ve got to say I’m glad I went pro reading pages upon pages of how difficult the CM ramp is to dial in.
Played a premium on location and the CM ramp is awesome when you hit it just right, but the amount of rejects was infuriating.
Hoping we get a code update soon, I’m getting close to seeing everything in .95.

Oh for sure...don't get me wrong. I haven't regretted the decision to go premium on this title even for a second. It sounds like a few people are struggling more with their ramp, but thankfully mine isn't at all what I would call a problem. I have dealt with problem shots on games (including one with the same theme as this one, LOL), and trust me, this isn't one of them. It's a hard shot, and needs to be perfect. The plastic is just to help along the imperfect shots a bit. Do I wish it would flow like a sloppy Steve Ritchie ramp? Sure. But I'm ok with it being a tough one and requiring precision.

#4667 3 years ago

For anyone still having problems with the fingers getting stuck, try sanding down the slot on the side the fingers rub against. The mech is super easy to remove and easy to sand. It doesn't take much, just a little off will do. My machine only had the problem very rarely, but hasn't gotten stuck since.

In fact I have only had one subway glitch since doing it ~100 plays ago, and that was from a fast moving ball that snuck around the first finger before it settled in. There is still just a little too much slop in the assembly to keep that from happening 100%. That led to two balls next to each other rather than between the fingers. Surprisingly, in that case the "walking" motion was able to separate them next time they moved, but otherwise it would have led to an unexpected multiball at the next kick-out (probably Soul Gem just to be annoying).

#4759 3 years ago
Quoted from Dahawk007:

I updated the code this morning on my premium and during the first game the disc wouldn’t register any spins. I shut the game down and turned it back on and it worked fine. I was worried that I did something wrong as I changed out the bushing from Stern for the disc leveling issue last week (which did mostly correct my unlevel disc).
I played some games today and could not get the Thanos Attacks mode to start. I collected 2 gems but missed out on the soul one game. The next I missed 1 gem, got the 2nd gem and then the soul gem but the next mode was another gem. When does Thanos come?

I just got it for the first time. I believe you have to have won the soul gem, and played two other gems (win or lose). Then the next gem mode you start will be Thanos attack instead. So I'm pretty sure you should have gotten it on your second game as you described.

I haven't had a decent game since the update. I finally got Thanos Attack just now, hit one shot and then the ball jumped over my flipper and out. Ugg!

Since you are now risking your Soul gem during Black Order Multiball if you use it to restart the multiball, I do hope there is a way to decline the restart (but I do not think there is a way right now).

#4762 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Don’t you have to win at least 2 gems plus the soul gem? Thanos attack is him coming after you to get the gems you’ve got, when you start the mode it says choose a gem shot to defend.
I’ll play some more later and see what I can confirm.

I THINK if you lost the other two, you for sure defend Soul. I'm pretty sure on mine I won one gem (mind), lost the other, and of course had Soul. So I could choose between Mind and Soul in my case. But I'm not 100% positive.

#4798 3 years ago

Thanos Attack is a cruel, cruel thing. But it is so PERFECTLY thematic that I can't even be all that mad about it! I do think it would balance it nicely if winning meant we got a gem from Thanos.

I would be more upset if losing a gem crippled the game progression, but it doesn't. I can still progress to the final wizard mode even if I do not have ANY of the gems. Really, they are just perks. Sure, losing them is cruel, but Thanos is cruel.

#4803 3 years ago

I don't know what it was about this update, but I can't put a decent game together to save my life since putting it in! I have still only seen Thanos Attack once, and it was extremely short lived.

Thanos can inhale an entire satchel of Richards.

#4807 3 years ago

Finally a good game and a successful fending off of Thanos Attack! I had no idea you had to defend each of your gems! I had two of them plus soul. I celebrated after successfully defending the first one, only to have it ask me to pick another one, and then the third! Managed to defend all three, and got a nice juicy victory multiball after. Must have been pretty good scoring as Thanos Attack ended up being about 1/4 of my entire score (I didn't do much after that mode).

So, theoretically, if you managed to win all five gems and THEN win the soul gem, would you have to defend all six during this mode???

Wow...what an awesome mode! Feels like a true wizard mode. Can't wait to get to the real one now.

#4924 3 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

New update!
V0.99.0 - February 4th, 2021
=============================
- Reality Quest - fixed an issue where Reality Final Blow + Iron Man Locks lit + Hawkeye Challenge lit + Tower Shot could cause the game to reset on the Iron Man lock screen
- Hawkeye Challenge - fixed an issue where Reality Final Blow + Hawkeye Challenge lit + Tower shot was causing Hawkeye challenge to start incorrectly
- All Gem Quests - fixed an issue with Quest Final Blow not starting up music after Final Blow completes sometimes
- Soul Gem - added instructional text to Soul Gem mode start
- Thanos Attacks - successfully defending all the Gems awards you one your Gems back that you may have lost to Thanos before starting the mode
- Thanos Attacks - if you defend all the Gems but have no Gems lost to Thanos, then you are awarded a 3 ball Super Victory Laps
- Thanos Attacks - fixed an issue where tilting during Thanos Attacks avoids him collecting on of your Gems
- Thanos Attacks - adjusted mode music to be slightly louder
- Thanos Attacks - fixed an issue where the high score was not visible in the Attract mode scores
- Thanos Attacks - scoring multiplied based on number of Gems you have collected
- Thanos Attacks - all shots build base score by 250K
- Thanos Attacks - drop targets base score 150K
- Battle Royale - fixed an issue where attack timer was still connected to the UI after completing the mode causing the timer to display for no reason
- Battle Royale - silence music after final shot, music will come back if the game is continuing, in challenge mode it will stay silent for total and then go to Match
- Super Victory Laps - fixed an issue where high score entry was not being awarded
- Gauntlet - fixed an issue with the Gauntlet Gem LEDs where the Gems would go back to dim after all the modes were played
- Bonus - fixed an issue where the Timer panel is visible on the end of ball Bonus countup
- Adjustment Changes:
- none
- System
- no updates

Downloading now. Love that we can now win a gem back! Only slight bummer is it sounds like if you go into Thanos Attack with a lost gem, you earn it back but you no longer get Victory multiball? Victory is only for if you went in with no lost gems and win the mode? Unless I'm reading that wrong.

The only other thing I can think of is I wish the soul gem wasn't always at risk in Black Order MB. I have a really hard time hitting that super jackpot shot, so I would rather have the choice of using the multiball restart or not. If I choose yes, then risk it. But more than likely I would rather end the multiball than risk my soul gem. High stakes for sure...and very thematic though, so it's not a big complaint, and if it doesn't change, I'm not mad.

Thinking about it more, that would be a great use of the action button. Light it up green when you drain down to 1 ball in BO MB. You have 2-3 seconds to use the gem to restart your MB. If you use it, MB restarts, but the gem is now at risk. If you do not use it, no MB restart, but the gem is safe. That would be fantastic.

#5036 3 years ago
Quoted from Sarinin:

Had an amazing skill shot occur, would be really neat if the software devs made this into a thing.
Full plunge, flip, bounced off the top drop target and went up into the hawk eye orbit.
Prior to the new code this was actually a backwards way to get the secret skill shot (bouncing off a post rubber). Now with new code, the drop target skill shot awards and it goes into the normal game state before the ball finishes it's trip. Would be really cool if making this particular shot awarded a DOUBLE SECRET skill shot or something.

Hmm...I think you can still get the secret skill shot as I did something similar the other day. I'm not sure what I bounced off of, but I think it was the post above the drops. I am pretty sure actually hitting the top drop target (or any other switch for that matter) cancels all skill shots. Keep in mind the drop target skill shot is only awarded from the center drop, not the others alone. So in your scenario above, hitting the top drop target would have cancelled all skill shots, which is why you weren't awarded the secret.

#5038 3 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Hmmmm I have made (and been awarded) the secret skill shot this way several times (ie banked off the top drop target into the upper loop). I am talking about the skill shot that awards a portal lock. I go for the target skill shot more often now for precisely this reason!
I tend to only try the tower skill shot when it is also lit for a lock, and\or I am close to soul gem and want the mystery shot lit. I am hoping future code updates introduce a second award after you’ve made it once, instead of just a few points and more ball save time.
There are any number of secret and ultra secret skill shots possible with this layout (heck, maybe they are in there but we haven’t found them all yet). For example, soft plunge then hit hulk shot.

It's definitely possible that I'm wrong and the secret skill shot doesn't cancel out after the first switch hit like I thought. It just always seems for me that if I miss my first try, it's over. So yeah...I could be wrong.

#5047 3 years ago

Yeah...sorry the outlanes are a bit tough, but not unfairly so and certainly not a "design flaw". That is kind of a ridiculous statement. Overall it's a fairly safe shooter with pretty long ball times compared to something like a TMNT or Iron Man or something.

#5051 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Finally blew up this game a bit after so much frustration. Cleared just over 800mil and that was with my last ball draining right after save cleared.... Got 5 gems and fended off Thanos attacks protecting both my gems which was awesome.
What triggers the final battle with Thanos? I did all the gem quests and black order multiball. The game didnt really give me a hint as to what to do next....

Only one thing to do at that point...Battle Royale (third Avengers Assemble). Then you would have had Thanos Battle. Getting close!

#5064 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The portal spinner can be dangerous, and Captain Marvel ramp rejects. And once you get an out of control ball, then the outlanes are assholes. But I never feel the game is unfair or cheap.

Yeah. I have rarely been screwed by the portal, but it can happen. Cap Marvel reject drains are definitely real, but usually that's my own fault for not hitting the ramp cleanly enough. The only other drain that really feels unfair to me is a ball coming down the right side (to the right of Thor) hugs the lane guide and would feed cleanly to the right flipper...until it hits the freaking rubber rings on the posts just left of the Ant-Man wire-form. That rubber is just enough to bounce most balls perfectly into the center drain instead of my flipper. I need to pull mine apart and see if there is any room for adjustment on those posts, otherwise I might need to replace them with the cliffy/post rubber style posts instead of rings. The way that lane guide is shaped, it seems clear that they should be feeding clean to the right flipper, but those rubbers peak out JUST enough to screw you over. Anyone else with the same issue, or is it just me?

#5068 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I was having the same issue. I think the intent of those post rubbers is to bounce the ball away from the centre drain. I bent my outlane guide a fraction to expose a bit more of the post, and now I get a nice bounce off of it to the left flipper.

Ahh...interesting. I hadn't thought of the intent might have been to return to the left. I will have to give that a shot. I was just assuming right as the guide seems to the guiding it there before the bounce. Thanks!

#5075 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I had the same issue on mine, then I checked that post and realized it was pretty loose, which meant it was giving a little when the ball hit it so the ball wasn't bouncing off it strongly enough. I used blue loctite on the post and re-tightened it and now the ball usually bounces nicely over to the left flipper. My SDTMs from it have almost disappeared since tightening that post.

Doh! Of course! As one of the most vocal people about Stern's terrible loose post issues, you would think I would have thought of that. Just took a look and sure enough. These are sure annoying ones to get to, but after tightening them down, all balls seem to bounce happily to the left flipper. Way better. Thank much!

#5102 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Based on the streams from Raymond Davidson, shots that come down the BP Orbit should hit that rubber post and land nicely to the left flipper. Thats the way KED intended this shot to be.

Thanks for the confirmation. After tightening the post, mine does just that. Good stuff.

#5106 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I know the rules state that to get to Thanos attacks you have to have 2 gems plus the sould gem but i just but there with less last night.
I had won the power or reality(I forget), lost the time then won the soul gem. Immediately went into Thanos after Soul. Last all of 30seconds lol

You do not need to have won 2 other gems, just have played for them. Soul Gem is the only one you have to have won, so you are locked out of that mode if you do not get it.

I believe with the latest code now if you go into the Attack with having lost one or both of the other gem fights, you can win one back. If you go in with both gems (plus Soul), you get to a victory multiball if you win.

#5158 3 years ago

Yeah...I'll be honest...it sounds like he has a set-up issue or a problem with his game. It's tough, but it isn't that order of magnitude harder than IMDN or JP. I would put it pretty much on par with JP actually. I don't have enough experience with IMDN to say for sure, but that struck me as about the same difficulty too. The TMNT I bought at about the same time is significantly meaner, as are a few others in my collection. I would say AIQ's playfield and code depth are pretty perfectly matched. It's a deep challenging game, but a good player will see Thanos Battle eventually, and an average player should be able to get to Thanos Attack and Black Order Multiball without too much trouble. It's not a gimme, but not impossible, KME only level either. If you can get to the Visitor Center on JP, you can get to Thanos. Escape Nublar is harder to get to in my opinion.

#5164 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I'm going to try to raise the pitch on mine to see if it affects the outlanes any - although I'm pretty sure its up there already. I own 10 modern games and this one has easily the worst outlanes, and I can't even name a 2nd place. On one hand, I want to believe the outlanes are supposed to be more fair than they are on mine, but on the other hand the slings ARE placed higher than on all my other games (including Maiden) so there certainly was intent here to make them harder.

Nah that was some other bro with a Dr. Dude avatar.

I hope it helps you! I hate seeing someone struggle so much to enjoy this game. The outlanes are very hungry for sure, but I guess I do not find it terribly hard to keep them away from the area. Once it gets in the danger zone, it's a fight for sure. But it shouldn't be unfair, like say ST:TNG. Good luck!

#5172 3 years ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

My right hand flipper seems to have lost some power. Checked the settings, and both sides are 255. I'm aware of the flipper fade issue, but I am noticing this straight away during a new game. Is there another issue which causes flippers to degrade? Got my machine in October last year, so it's got plenty of play but nothing too crazy.

As others said, check the coil stops, but first make sure that the flipper bat isn't tight against the bushing. There should be a tiny bit of up and down play between the flipper and the playfield bushing. If too tight, it could be dragging against the bushing. If so, easy fix. Just lossen the flipper bat, give it a tiny bit of clearance (about the thickness of a credit card) and tighten back down. I've seen this straight from the factory, and I have also seen them creep down against the bushing if not tightened down properly.

#5280 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Woah! I’m blown away. I thought I’d just unbox and play for years to come. Occasional wax and maintenance. I thought 30 year old games hold up well enough, surely by now the newest game we can buy from Stern won’t need much. Again.. wake up call for me... Haha.
It’s all about taking care of our passion though! So I’m in on the protection at least. The aesthetic upgrades may have to wait.

30 year old games that weren't protected in the same way have blown out scoops and shooter lanes if they have seen any amount of plays. Doing this stuff upfront helps avoid that.

#5286 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

I’m not arguing that. I just meant they held up good for their age. But time has shown as you said, the holes blow out. Seems like pinball companies would offer an option for cliffy protection installed from factory and maybe already have it included in premiums and LE’s You’re exactly right though. Up front protection is a no brainer. I’ve never owned a NIB game so never had to think about how they come from factory. Lol.
I was just saying I was slightly shocked(not upset) that these days, new games aren’t already supplied with cliffy’s at least. Seems like Stern and any other company should have partnered with Mr. Cliff by now. He deserves a nice partnership for his genius creations.
Again, I do agree with ya, and I have already emailed Cliffy about protectors for AIQ and hoping he also has a set for BSD, while I’m at it.

There have been a few instances recently of Sterns coming with "Cliffy" style protectors in places. If I remember right the Deadpool Hellhouse scoop is an example of one being protected from the factory. I could be wrong there though. I do wish they would do it more though. At least they changed their magnet design to have the large surround which minimizes the wear that used to be possible around the small exposed cores.

#5339 3 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

when does the up post in front of avenger tower fire? it hasn’t activated once in a couple dozen games on prem. i put a few games on a pro before buying and it fired several times just by flailing around. i ran test and it fires so i’m thinking either i suck and haven’t activated it yet (likely) or i’ve got some kind of upstream switch issue.

On the premium, it comes up to catch the ball after hitting the gauntlet ramp when you collect a gem. That is the only time I can think of, but there might be more.

On the pro it will come up more often as I believe that is where it stops the ball to select your gem quest. Pretty much any time the premium would put a ball into the subway, the pro stops it there ( I think!).

#5388 3 years ago

Does anyone know if the Stern lit shooter rod came and went already, or has it still not been made available? I have only seen a quick flash of it, but is it basically the JP rod in clear without the mosquito in it? RGB lighting then?

#5394 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Shooter rod hasn't seen the light of day yet. Still waiting on it to start shipping. No details on it other than the initial accessories video Stern released when the game was revealed.

Just watched the video again. Definitely looks like a clear version of the JP shooter. That's not a bad thing, but they only showed white light, and that would be a bummer. It should cycle between the six gem colors. Maybe that is why there is such a delay. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

#5398 3 years ago

I'm sorry, but anyone who says AIQ has no depth and is one dimensional simply does not understand the rules. This guy is obviously unhappy with his game and posts negative comments about it all the time saying it is poorly designed, unfairly difficult, and now shallow. I get it, we all have our opinions, but he keeps slamming the game and posting this stuff as fact when pretty much everyone that has actually played the game would say the opposite. I honestly think the dude needs to sell the game and buy something that he will enjoy. It's obviously not for him, and that's ok. Not every game is going to please everyone.

AIQ is very deep, has TONS of strategy, and has multiple paths to play. You could literally ignore the gem quests and still have a ton to do between the multiballs, grid rewards, and the three deep progression of collecting the Avengers for Soul Gem, Black Order, and Battle Royale. The gem quests add so many layers. You can choose to ignore the placement and use strategy and still have fun with them as they are such varied and unique modes in themselves. Or you can take the strategy as deep as you want it. I thought I had a decent handle on the basics of the game, but first today watched Karl DeAngelo's 2 flip Soul Gem and had my mind blown. I knew there were some differences in the gem powers based on where they were placed and the level of the Avengers, but man...I had no idea it could be THAT strategic. Then there are so many minor side things like shield bonus, combo bonus, arc reactor bonus, Captain Marvel awards, Hawkeye Challenges (and combos), Gamma Ray, Hulk Rampage, etc. Sure, there are longer games with even more breadth of things to do, but there is no shortage here, and the depth of what is here is huge.

#5400 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeguy123:

This is my first New game purchase and I have been very happy. I find it challenging yet entertaining. I have only earned 2 gems in a game so far, so have a lot of improving. Question, how do you earn the Shied bonus?

Keep practicing, it will come! Two gems means you are close to seeing Thanos for the first time!

For Shield Bonus, here is a cut/paste from the Tilt Forums wiki:

"Shield Bonus:
Pop bumpers increase your current Shield Bonus based on how high of a level Captain America is, and also increases the base value of it by a much smaller amount. Shooting the upper loop lights Captain America for 15 seconds to collect the Shield Bonus. Once collected, the value resets to the base value (which will be higher than before, as pop bumpers both raise the current shield value, and the “reset” value). Each time you collect a Shield Bonus it will collect or upgrade a trophy. Completing the drop targets while the Shield Bonus is lit will double its value."

#5402 3 years ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

Or what I do, flail around randomly and get it whenever.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5406 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Bro - I don't get into Pinside debates because it's 6 year old stuff, so I'm DMing you a response to this. Suffice to say for the OP who asked about the game and whom I answered honestly, Avengers is a new game and is ranked below Maiden and next to Deadpool on the Top 100. By year end, it will be several spots below Deadpool as the newness wears off. That's all of Pinside talking, not just me.

Hey man, whatever. I'm not debating anything with you, just calling out blatant inaccuracies when you claim the game is poorly designed, unfairly difficult, and has shallow code. Your definition of depth is WAY different than most if you think games like DP are deeper than AIQ just because it took you longer to beat. I honestly do not care if you like the game or not. I love it as is. I think the code is awesome and the playfield is relatively safe and a long player compared to many games. You think the opposite. We are all entitled to our opinion. I just do not think it's right to tell people asking about the code that it is shallow and one dimensional, when it literally is not.

No ill will intended. It's just pinball.

#5411 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I don’t understand why the bank target rewards need to change from game to game? Maybe they could add a setting so you can keep them the same from game to game, and then I could remember which ones light a portal lock, extra ball etc... I think the bank target rewards are a great feature, but having to trap up every time I want to see the order kills the flow of the game for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't mind it changing, but it would be nice if the grid info screen was a part of the default screen instead of having to trap up and wait to see what is what. They have so much real estate on the LCD screens now that I think could be used more efficiently while still being entertaining. That's not just an AIQ thing, I think most Sterns could be a bit better at this. Hard to balance getting the info on there without being cluttered though.

#5451 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I also have messed around a bit with the auto plunger and haven't had permanent success. I try to manual plunge most of the time, but it also runs into problems from time to time.

If it makes you feel better (it won't, but... ), the autoplunger isn't an AIQ problem, it's a Stern problem, and it's been one for a very, very long time. It stems from the nature of the design. There is simply too much slop when you take into account the tolerance stack on all of the pivot points and moving parts. Most games it doesn't matter if you get the occasional (or often) weak plunge because the design isn't demanding. Unfortunately games like AIQ, JP, BK:SoR (prem/LE), and even as far back as the original Avengers struggle. Pretty much anything that needs to go up some sort of ramp or major incline during it's launch is going to have potential issues, while games with a nice flat, simple plunger lane likely will not (since a weak plunge will still make it).

Making sure the forks are aligned, adding washers or e-clips (or felt bumpers, misc other things people have tried) to take up slop in the assembly, putting washers or spacers under a portion of the shooter lane to help guide the ball, etc can help give it a better fighting chance, but the odds of ever getting 100% are low. The entire mechanism would have to be redesigned or manufactured to WAY higher tolerances to perform consistently at full power. Everything else is a band-aid. Sure, some people will get lucky with parts on the right side of the tolerance band, but some will not.

I am pretty lucky with my AIQ, it performs at about 80%. I still need to tweak my forks and I can probably bring that up a little. But I feel for those that have it worse. I have fought with other games, and it isn't fun when there is really nothing you can do about the root problem. But you can minimize it as best as you can and try not to let it ruin the game.

As was mentioned, Soul Gem is the place it can really hurt you most. For that you can try manual plunging before the auto plunges. Not ideal, but it might help in a critical moment.

#5453 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

thanks for the insight!
5 shots left on soul gem for the last shot and the ball is in the shooter lane.
80% is still too little.

Been there done that! I feel for you. I hope you can find the magic bullet that brings up your chances of making it! If you do some searching, you will find a ton of discussion of people fighting this issue on many other games and you might find some other ideas. Good luck!

#5455 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

yeah thanks! now my action button keeps getting stuck, feels like the spring inside gets choked. any idea for that problem?

It should come apart pretty easily. I would look to see if there are any burrs or if maybe the spring isn't sitting right. It's always something!

#5516 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Do i miss the point?
I hit the lifting/spinning disc, then i play a mode. Rince and repeat.
Is there another way to play this game? Thanks

Take a look at the wiki rulesheet here (based on slightly older code, so Thanos is not covered):
http://tiltforums.com/t/avengers-infinity-quest-rulesheet/6740

Yes, at the absolute most basic level, spin the disc, play a mode. But only doing this will not get you to the end of the game. The strategy of how you play the modes as well as all of the other side goals is where the real depth comes in. Easy for beginners to understand, but tons of strategy, depth, and scoring nuance for any level player.

#5576 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I try to avoid spinning the disk or entering the portal until I have enough combos to at least lock 1 ball. Usually easier said than done...
A few times I have had my first gem quest be the Soul Gem!

Yeah, I personally think that's part of the fun. Avoid spinning until you are ready to go with your portal locks. And if you do accidentally raise it, it's even harder to avoid!

That said, it never hurts to add an option if enough people want it, but I would hope the default stays the same.

#5597 3 years ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

I also have had problems with the soul gem mode and mind gem usage.
The display says i have one use on mind gem, so i hit that shot to activate the action button but nothing happenes.

You do not need to hit the shot to activate the action button. If you have a use remaining, it doesn't need to be qualified first. If you are out of uses, then the gem needs to be moved or re-placed (or the Avenger who has it leveled up) to recharge/qualify it. You cannot do that during Soul Gem mode.

During Soul Gem mode, if the Mind Gem is placed on a non-powered up, uncollected or collected Avenger, it can only spot a hit to the Avenger that has it. If that shot isn't the lit one, nothing will happen since the shot where the gem is placed isn't lit for anything. Otherwise it would just be a waste of a gem use. For example, if the Mind Gem is placed on a collected or uncollected Black Widow, you can only use it when the Black Widow shot is lit (the second shot of the Soul Gem mode).

If you want to be able to use the button to spot ANY lit shot, the Avenger who has the Mind Gem needs to be leveled up to level 1. That allows the button to collect ANY lit shot as many times as you have usages left. For example, if the Mind Gem is placed on a Level 1 Black Widow, and you have three uses remaining, you could use it once to spot Black Panther when lit, then once on Black Widow when lit, then once on the Gauntlet ramp when lit. Or any three shots that you choose, but only while that shot is lit. They do not have to be three in a row. In my case, I struggle most with Black Panther, the drop targets, and Captain Marvel during this mode, so those are the three I would hit the button for in this situation.

Having the Mind Gem on a Level 2 Avenger is not great for Soul Gem mode. At level 2 the button will collect ALL lit shots at the same time, which for Soul Gem means one shot only since only one lights at a time. In some modes where there are a bunch of shots lit, this is awesome, but in Soul Gem it's a waste, unless you really need it to hit that one shot. For example if the Mind Gem is placed on a Level 2 Black Widow, and you hit the button right away when the first shot, Black Panther, is lit, it will collect only Black Panther, since that is the only lit shot. One use only, so if you have to use it, use it on a shot you struggle most with.

Bottom line, if you want to use Mind Gem during Soul Gem mode, you need to wait for the Avenger who holds it to be the active shot, or you need to level up the Avenger who holds it to Level 1 (or Level 2, but the "collect everything lit" ability will be wasted).

#5600 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Im kind of surprised that the mind stone on a level 2 Avenger doesn't function like the Deadpool boom where holding the button collects all lit shots but just tapping the button functions like level 1.

That would be slick. At least then leveling up to level 2 wouldn't actually be a disadvantage for Soul Gem like it is now. Maybe a 3-to-1 ratio? That way if you want individual hits, it is exactly the same as level 1. Good idea.

#5620 3 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I'm still learning this game. I had a portal lock and then started Soul Gem and it gave me two balls. I don't think that is correct. Glitch? I obviously failed miserably.

Physical glitch (meaning not code related). Odds are the second ball in the lock jumped past the stopper tooth, so was sitting right next to the first ball. After the game kicks out the first ball, it then sees the second ball sitting at the kick-out and it has to clear it (the game probably thinks you shot Ant Man with the first ball). It's probably one of those glitches that are just going to happen every once in a great while. If it happens with any regularity, I would take a look at your lock mech and make sure it's working properly and the teeth can move freely without hanging up against the side of the slot that they go through. I had to take mine apart and sand down the slot slightly. That was enough to keep the teeth moving happily for me. Even if that is perfect, a fast ball that comes in at just the right angle could likely jump over/around the first tooth, which could throw off the lock timing. It's a clever, but somewhat strangely designed mechanism. It's definitely the result of trying to handle too many moving parts with only one solenoid. That and sloppy part tolerances lead to the occasional failure.

#5662 3 years ago

Mostly loving the new code so far. Marvel hurry-ups are awesome. Soul Gem hard mode is a great addition, but not one I will personally use much as I struggle enough with normal some days. Very happy about the Soul Gem "decline" for Black Order multiball. Again, not one I will use much since I do not get there all that often, but I love that I have a choice to risk it now. Hawkeye now has some major strategy...I really need to get better at that. Just a ton of awesome, deeper inclusions that will add longevity to the game as I get better at it.

I really like the disc RPM, but what is with the sound effect it adds when it reports the RPM? It seems random...must be based on what else is going on with low priority. At first I thought it only made the sound when you hit a new RPM record, but then I noticed it happening multiple times on a couple balls, for RPMs that were definitely not records. It's such an odd sound and really doesn't seem to fit the theme at all. I do not mind it for a new record, but I hope I do not have to hear it every time I hit the disc.

My only other concern so far is the "trailer" video. It's super cool, and I love that they added it, but there seems to be a few awkward transitions when it plays and ends. Seems like that could use a little clean-up. Minor complaint, but it's a little jarring at times when it starts and stops.

More leaderboards are always welcome. KME and team have really spoiled us with so many of them. I get annoyed when most games have very few. I would definitely like to see other coders embrace them the way these guys have.

Lots of other nice polish here. The new gauntlet animation and light shows are great. I haven't played enough to get a feel for everything, but I'm happy with what I've seen so far! Great game, keeps getting better!

#5689 3 years ago

I wonder if a part of the higher percentage of side drains on Elwin games is how much more they encourage/require side-to-side motion with important shots in far outside corners. JP is especially noticeable with the Control Room and Helipad both causing a ton of sideways motion, especially if you miss. AIQ's outer orbit shots are really hard (for me at least), with the same result...not to mention the drops putting you out of control very close to the sling area, and Ant Man being a far edge shot. Lots more opportunity for major side-to-side motion than the average game. I am less familiar with IMDN since I haven't owned one, but the left side having the pops right there would seem to have the same result. So yeah...it kind of makes sense that Elwin's design style lends itself to a higher percentage of side drains than most games. To me the percentage split doesn't feel off though...if half are going SDTM and a quarter to each outlane, that seems well balanced to me. I prefer that to any one "exit" having 80% of all drains. That's just me though...I can see why some prefer SDTM over side drains.

#5762 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I just read the Tilt rules and it says:

So if I understand correctly, I'll use Black Widow as an example...
I have not collected Black Widow and I place the Mind Gem on her.
* Because she is not collected, I can use the Mind Gem to collect 1 shot on Black Widow.
* I can collect her while the Mind Gem is there and am now able to use it twice on the Black Widow shot.
* If I use the Mind Gem while she's uncollected, does collecting her recharge it?
* Once I've used a level 2 Mind Gem boom, I must MOVE the Mind Gem to use it again. Can it be moved to Hulk and then moved back to Black Widow for another level 2 boom?

I have not collected Black Widow and I place the Mind Gem on her.
* Because she is not collected, I can use the Mind Gem to collect 1 shot on Black Widow. - Yup
* I can collect her while the Mind Gem is there and am now able to use it twice on the Black Widow shot. - Yup
* If I use the Mind Gem while she's uncollected, does collecting her recharge it? - Yup, any level up will recharge, including uncollected to collected
* Once I've used a level 2 Mind Gem boom, I must MOVE the Mind Gem to use it again. Can it be moved to Hulk and then moved back to Black Widow for another level 2 boom? - Yup, but you do not have to do it this way. While you must go through the "change gems" action, you can just place it right back on BW and be good to go again. No need to actually move it.

#5866 3 years ago
Quoted from gaubster:

Had my Premium for a week and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out out to switch gems to another avenger? There's nothing on the back glass or the playfield that indicates that I'm cycling through Avengers? I can use the left and right buttons and select with the action button, but have no idea what I'm doing? Can somebody point me in the right direction or give me an idea of what to look for? (Admittedly, I'm still figuring out the gems and where to place them. Right now, I'm mostly trying to shoot lit shots.). Thanks!

Change Gems is lit by collecting all Avengers and also from a grid award. When you hit change gems, you have to watch the gem inserts in front of the shots. One will light at a time, move it to the Avenger you want to have it with your flipper buttons, lock it in with the action button. Then the next one will light, etc. You get very little time to do this, and they will be assigned randomly if you do not get it done in time.

The Space Gem (purple) also has the power to move the gems. After hitting the shot it is placed on, you have three seconds to hit the action button. One hit shifts all gems over one place to the right. If the Space Gem is on a level 1 Avenger, you can hit the button twice for two moves. On a level 2 Avenger, you can move three.

#5903 3 years ago
Quoted from lockeness:

I need help…
Much of this is prefaced by the fact that, #begin auto plunger rant#, as I have posted here a few times, my auto plunger sucks and now almost never makes it around the left ramp. I guess today will be the day I really try to fix it. I have tried bending the plunger per some advice in this thread and played with the plunger power but nothing has worked. It’s mostly laziness or being stubborn and thinking that after dropping ~$10k on an LE that something as simple as the auto plunger should simply work. To me, its like buying a new car and after a week having to hot wire it to start it because the standard ignition won’t work - I simply don’t get how Stern isn’t 1000% embarrassed by this apparently being a common issue across games. Needless to say having the ball dumped into the pops and having a >50% chance that the ball is going to drop out from Cap and go SDTM 30 times a game (esp if you get soul gem mode) is stressful and is getting less and less fun. I took out the tilt bob and fricking slam the machine around, with middling success. #end auto plunger rant#
Anyway, I have had AIQ since November. When I got it, for about the first month, almost every game I would get 1-2 gems. I was consistently scoring in the 400k range. I think my high is ~700k and that was put up right when I got the machine. Now I can’t break 200k. I struggle to get gems. I know this is exasperated by the auto plunger issues right now because after accomplishing something, my ball is put into chaos instead of being fed around to a flipper where I can regain control.
Anyway, here’s the crux of my question. This game is unique in that when you lose a gem, generally speaking, you are done with that aspect of the game and have no way to recover. It feels super punitive. If I play a game and lose two gem quests, I generally left flipper/start and start over. What’s the point? Why should I think differently and keep playing through all 3 balls? I’ve never played a pin where, frankly you lose and are screwed like this. A lot of advice here is to set the game to 4-5 balls, but if you lose the first few gems, who cares how many balls you have? Maybe if there was a way to replay gems after you played them all? Maybe that mode exists and I have never gotten there.
Interestingly enough, the two times in the last month that I won the first two gems and the soul gem, then I had to battle Thanos and he took the gem(s) away from me. Personally, I think the battle thanos / thanos attacks mode should have an on/off setting in the menu as for me right now the mode is a huge kick in the sack and not a reward. Instead of thinking, cool 3 down and now here’s a fun mode, I instead am thinking, oh crap now this…
As amazing as this game is to shoot and hit combos, its starting to feel futile. Maybe I am simply not a good enough player and this machine and rule set is for a world champion pinball player. How do others approach this game and deal with losing gems?

I understand what you are saying to a point. But think of it this way. Who cares if you lose (or don't win) a gem? The gems do not block you from the wizard mode. The only thing in the game I can think of that you can get locked out of is you will not get Thanos Attacks if you do not win the Soul Gem (and I suppose you do not get the victory multiball for winning Thanos Attacks if you do not go in with all the gems you fought for to that point...you win a gem back instead). You still get Black Order Multiball and Battle Royale completely independent of any gems. You still get the final Thanos Battle even if you have zero gems...you just have to have fought for them all (plus Battle Royale) (full disclosure, I've never done it, but this is how I interpret the rules...I could be wrong, so please correct me if so). You still can get Super Computer Frenzy and the ultimate wizard mode, Trophy Mania. The gems give great perks and huge scoring, but they aren't needed in your possession to progress in the game. Is it a bummer to lose them? Yup. Does it block your progress and make the game a throw-away? Not in my opinion.

Good luck with your auto-plunger. I feel for you there. I have fought that fight on many machines. It's just a poor design and has been for decades. Some games you won't notice, some like this one, JP, etc, you will, and it sucks. Hope you can make it better, but I wouldn't ever expect it to be 100% without a complete redesign and/or much tighter tolerances in all the parts.

#5913 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Just an FYI the "Jurassic Park" fix worked for my plunge shot. I was having issues like many others with the plunged ball not making it around to the right flipper. I took the ramp off giving me access to the screws on the metal forks where the wood shooter lane meets the metal. Put a small nylon washer underneath the left fork only, and tightened down till it was flush with the wood.
Plunger shot fixed, at least for me.

I did the same, hoping to get mine from 75% or so to 100%. I would say it got me to about 85%. Good improvement, but not a sure thing. I might try adding a second to see what happens. Definitely worth a try though...good call.

#6017 3 years ago

Ha! That's awesome. Hope Rayday didn't accidentally reveal something we weren't supposed to see yet. HUGE improvement though!

#6140 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

the ball falls out of the upper bend (as it turns left) I presume all ramps are like this.
I solve the issue by adding two plastic washers (as they are thicker) under the post closer to the ramp (or second gauntlet post) and now the ball, if it ever falls out will slide over the rails and fall into the wire form, gameplay will not be stopped and therefore the glass does not need to be removed any more...
WIN!

There must be something wrong with the ramps that are letting a ball fall out. There is no way one is getting out of mine without prying it out. The only way I would be able to get a ball up where yours are getting stuck is from an airball. I would look at the area on yours that is allowing the ball to fall out and try to bend the wires closer together. Not sure if that will be possible or not with how they are assembled. I'd also consider getting ahold of Stern and asking for a new wireform as something is definitely out of tolerance.

#6145 3 years ago
Quoted from pineal:

i made a little video of the spots where the wireform is wide enough to let a ball out. I’m not very concerned about this. It’s only come out of the top one a few times. I doubt it could ever come out of the lower one. Only following up because i did have a ball stuck at the other wireform once or twice. Jediturtle are you saying yours is too narrow to let a ball out of even the top spot?
edit: i couldn’t upload video so here are photos of the 2 spots instead.[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine will not let the ball out anywhere after the plastic guard ends. I can pull it out from under the guard if I flex the guard, but it always holds the ball in during play.

#6170 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

If the gauntlet gems pulsed more with a gradual fade from off to full bright and off again it could possibly better represent the “not challenged this gem” mode.

I was just going to post this. The flicker is very hard to see, but a slow pulse over a larger range of brightness would be perfect.

#6202 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I bought them for my Pro, but for the Premium I was thinking there's just a bit too much of that same Thanos image: each side of the cabinet and then the right inside of the cabinet. If I would have went with a Premium I definitely wouldn't have been as quick to order the Stern ones (but still might have).

I have the Stern blades on my premium and absolutely love them. Yeah, it's a little Thanosy, but the rest of the Black Order are there too, which is cool. I really like how it's the good guys on one side, the bad guys on the other. The art style and colors are a perfect match, obviously being done by ZY. They have a very cohesive feel, and look like they came with the machine. I am not personally a fan of the other options I have seen, but that's just my preference.

#6228 3 years ago

If the fingers are sticking up (even a little until vibration wiggles them loose can throw off the timing of the ball movement), you can sand the inside of the slot on the plastic trough. Mine was hanging just a bit once in awhile against one side of the slot. Didn't take much sanding to allow them to move freely up and down. A little lube on the joints of the mech doesn't hurt either. It's a sloppy mech with a lot of moving parts and tolerances too loose to keep everything perfect. A little tweaking should help though if you can figure out where it is hanging up. Good luck!

#6253 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Is it possible to have 3 balls locked in the portal and starting a gem quest with a 4th ball?
It seems that I can only get 2 portal locks on out Premium.
When "earning" a 3th, it seems like I only get that one after playing a gem quest.

No, two portal locks per quest only, for a 3 ball multi max (unless you stack on IM or Thor).

#6268 3 years ago
Quoted from Thomas3184:

Change gem or space gem to move or replace them to recharge.

Leveling up the Avenger they are on also works, and usually "upgrades" the power of the gem as well. So ApplePie is kind of right there too.

#6274 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well dammit. I assumed that was a fix for all. Haha

It doesn't magically turn it into a gimme shot. It's a hard shot that needs to be strong and precise, like the good old days, LOL. It definitely isn't a Steve Ritchie ramp where any sloppy shot near the opening will find it's way up. This mod (either the fancy one being sold, or the DIY chunk of plastic), will help a slightly sloppier shot stay aligned, and will keep a very stray ball from flying out the side, but that's about it. This isn't a slam on the product...there is only so much that can be done, and it helps as much as possible. If your ramp is tweaked or bent funny, like some seem to be, that will still need to be addressed.

#6285 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

To be clear. The premium I've been playing rejects a lot. It has a factory plastic cover on the outside of it. I’m going to try the mod and maybe one other thing. But if I can’t figure this one out really easily, I’ll probably go pro when I get one.
The STH demo is child’s play compared to the TK lock.
If I hit a shot clean, it should go. This one isn’t always going if the shot is clean.

If it helps, my machine rejected less than 10% of CLEAN shots right out of the box. Adding the DIY mod cut from an old plastic protector put that at 5%, maybe less. Almost every time mine rejects, I know it was my own fault.

I'm sure the pro is still a damn fine machine, but the premium upgrades on this one are HUGE, and having lived with them awhile, I really can't imagine not having them. It isn't eye-candy like Stranger Things...these are real game changers for the better.

#6340 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The biggest flaw in my game is still the bloody auto plunge. It fails about 80%. Prongs are lined up nicely. Really takes the momentum out of the gameplay and messes up the Soul gem

That's a bummer. Did you try placing a washer under the left fork on the metal "ramp" at the end of the shooter lane (similar to what many people do on JP)? My shooter lane was at about 75% out of the box. I first tried a very thin washer and that didn't change much, but a slightly thicker washer worked great. I have played probably 20-30 games since doing that and haven't had a bad plunge yet. That's not to say it won't happen...the auto plunger mech on these simply aren't capable of being perfect, but I was surprised how much of a difference it made on mine.

I would also make sure your mech is tight and not binding up on anything. If it's failing 80% of the time, that seems like a bigger issue than the typical Stern plunger. Maybe it is slightly misaligned? I would try loosening the mounting screws on the whole mech and see if there is any slop or if it can be shifted slightly. Maybe it's aligned when at rest, but is actually pushing the ball at a slight angle? Donno...just throwing out ideas. Best of luck!

#6342 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You mean, directly under one of the screws at the beginning of the 'ramp'? Or somewhere near the end?

Under the left "fork", under the screw (between the fork and the playfield).

EDE48393-3061-4A29-8DF2-D7CE3E49A896 (resized).jpegEDE48393-3061-4A29-8DF2-D7CE3E49A896 (resized).jpeg
#6344 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I tried this and unfortunately had zero success in improving the auto plunge. If I go any thicker with the washer, the fork will sit above the the wood height.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I was surprised how much difference it made on mine, but I was lucky that it wasn't that bad to begin with. On the other hand most people seemed to have success with this method on JP, yet it had almost no effect on either of the two JPs I did it to. Go figure.

1 week later
#6421 3 years ago

There is now a setting to stop the instant info screen from auto-scrolling. Really nice for examining the grid. And the new main screen is fantastic!

I did turn off the combo limiter for BW-CM combos. I rarely hit more than two in a row anyway, but if I do I damn well better get credit for it, LOL. Seems like it makes sense for the pro, but it isn't an easy combo on the prem/LE.

Lots of nice little tweaks in this one. Good stuff.

#6424 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Im not happy about it being removed but i have my CM shot pretty dialed in where i can combo BW and CM fairly well. I would always at least go for a few while the ball save is still running

If you aren’t happy with the change, thankfully it’s a setting so you can change it back! I know some people get hung up on factory settings, but the options were given to us so why not use them to make the game more enjoyable.

#6508 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Finally got round to downloading latest code and gave it a whirl last night.
I had earned the Soul Gem and then reached BOmb. Drained down to 1 ball, and while the grace timer was counting down used the Action button for an the add a ball. Then managed to make the SJp but when I drained down to single ball play I had lost the Soul Gem (got it back by completing Battle Royale).
On the same game I activated the change gems late in the game (I had 5 gems) as the ball came from the side ramp it jumped the up-post (Pro). As I was trying to both keep the ball alive and place the gems where I wanted I ran out of time. When I got control back of the ball I looked to see where the gems had been placed and the Time Gem was nowhere on the playfield, and there were 2 unlit shots.
I then lit, started (It only offered me that mode as an option) and completed the last gem mode and when I came to place it there were 2 available spaces.
After placing it, I then got Battle Thanos lit - which awarded 1,000,000 indicating that all 6 gems were indeed collected.
What happened to my Time gem in that interim period?

A couple quick thoughts, and my apologies if you thought of these already....just the first things to come to mind.

Are you sure you collected the Super Jackpot on Black Order and not just a Jackpot? This one definitely confused me at first. I finally managed to hit the upper loop shoot and thought I had it. Nope, that's just the jackpot. After that you have to spell strange, PLUS hit the Captain America shot to get the Super Jackpot. I find this sequence almost impossible to do during a multiball as it requires either dumb luck, or some really good flipper staging skills to pull off. I'm sure better players than me can do it regularly, but I think I have only gotten an actual Super once in all the time I have owned it, and I'd like to think I'm not a completely terrible player.

As for the Time Gem, it sounds like you might have found a bug (edited my reply about this after re-reading your post and realizing you had 2 available placement spaces on your last gem...weird).

#6513 3 years ago

Co-op could be implemented in some interesting ways. I know it's more Dwight's style than Keith's, but a character selection could add an interesting twist, even if only in a co-op mode. Have the collectible Avengers be the character choices. Maybe have the one you picked start automatically leveled up to "collected" (or some different minor perk each). Other players would have to pick different characters. Would add some different strategy to what gems you go after when, and how to place them.

As for the complaint of too much freedom of choice and placement, I respect your opinion, but personally disagree. I love trying out different strategies and the intricate ways the gems can work together and with different Avenger levels. That said, you can absolutely play the game the way you describe. The first gem that comes up in the selection screen is always random. Just hit the button and play that one without choosing. That way you can get the randomness you desire. Heck, when I'm just playing around, I end up doing that a lot and it keeps me from always playing a certain order. Placement is still your choice, but if you just go with the flow and let it hit whatever it's going to hit, you can get the randomness you desire. Just a thought! That said, every game isn't for everyone, and if the more randomness of Stranger Things is more your style, that's totally understandable. I love that game too. Maybe check out BK:SoR...that has a similar randomness to which monster you will battle each mode. Good stuff.

#6537 3 years ago

One of the major differences between the really high level players and the just good players is strategy and rules knowledge. The top tier guys take the time to learn the rules inside and out. That is one of the things that separates them. If you want that "advantage", you have to put in the work, whether that be deep gem placement knowledge, or knowing how to max out a spinner and up your bonus on an EM. That has always been a part of being competitive. If you do not care about competition, then the "advantage" aspect is moot...just have fun.

Again, all different strokes for different folks. This game is a bit unique that you aren't just stuck with either random or select. Most games it's one or the other. If you still aren't cool with that...maybe this just isn't the game for you. Nothing wrong with that...tons of great options are out there for all play styles!

#6640 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I’ll have to look to see if that’s it.
edit: Yep it looks like that's what it is. Here's what it says in Space Gem on Tiltforums: After each attack, the pop bumpers will also score some bonus points (50k per bumper, multiplied by the attack combo multiplier, for 5 seconds).
Thanks!

That is one of my favorite sound effects! Not one I would want used all the time, but for just those moments, it's awesome!

#6711 2 years ago
Quoted from Crowbass:

I bought a NIB premium about 6 weeks ago and am in love with it. This is my first pin I've owned, so definitely new to all of this. Has anyone had any issues with the tower not releasing the ball unless you hit a flipper? It just started all of a sudden and it doesn't do it every time, but when going for the hawkeye on difficult, once you fire the flipper, it registers as a miss.

Probably magnetized balls. The flip is just enough vibration to shake it loose. Try new balls.

#6753 2 years ago
Quoted from acefreemok:

My Avengers pin arrived today and it plays ace (except for one little issue).
The top left flipper is not as responsive as the bottom left flipper. That is, sometimes it won't activate when I press the button, but if I hit the button hard enough it always works.
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. To be honest it doesn't affect the gameplay but it "feels" like it's faulty.
Is this the same with all Avengers pins? If it's a fault, how might I go about fixing it?

Games with an upper flipper (generally) have two switches stacked which the flipper button hits. That way you can "stage flip" and actually control the flippers independently (though it's not easy and takes some practice). Pushing the button in just a tiny bit activates the lower flipper, pushing in further activates the upper also. It sounds like your outer switch to control the upper flipper needs to be adjusted tighter. It might take a little trial and error, but you shouldn't have to press it hard...it should feel like any other flipper actuation.

#6775 2 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hi everyone. I have a couple of really annoying ball hangup issue on my AIQ Premium. One of the worst is when the ball falls out of the vertical ramp, and gets stuck. This means I have to take the glass off. Happens quite often actually...
I have a feeling there is something wrong with my ramp. I am thinking the ball should not be able to fall out halfway at all?
Please see the video, here, where i demonstrate the issue.
If anyone can compare to their own ramp, i would really appreciate it.
Thank you!!

PS: Sorry for the terrible english

You are missing the plastic "guard" that covers the first half of the loop. Mine will not let a ball out after the point the plastic covers.

3A047FB9-9EF4-4A4A-9DAB-090581071854 (resized).jpeg3A047FB9-9EF4-4A4A-9DAB-090581071854 (resized).jpeg
#6827 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I consider myself an average or better player. I dont find AIQ difficult at all actually. Very easy to play forever if you arent try to progress anything specific as there is almost always a safe shot available
Its not the difficulty of the gameplay but the feeling of punishment in the code as mentioned.
Settings arent going to change the feeling that a lost gem is a big deal where winning one is just...ok.
Win 3? Good for you.....now defend them again.
(Just an after thought here but what if the lockdown bar gave you an option when Thanos Attacks? Choose batttle and it is like normal but if you win, Thanos is half as strong in Wizard mode. Choose Flee through the Portal and escape his attack. Maybe even make it harder (more spins) to start the next gem quest because Dr. Strange has exhausted his powers)

I get you...losing a gem can be a bummer. Look at it from this perspective though...so what? You do not need any gems at all to progress in the game. You can make it all the way through Battle Royale and even the final Thanos Battle without having a single gem. Sure, they give you nice perks, and obviously if you are interested in max score, you want those gems. But if game progression is what you play for, winning/keeping them is completely optional. So yes...it may feel like it's a major punishment and killing your game, but really it's not.

#6836 2 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

So, having trouble with a couple of my other machines I decided to lower the tilt bob and play the heck out of AIQ last night. Wow, is this machine fun!!!! Making the tilt less sensitive, the out lanes became much more tolerable. This machine should definitely be up there as one of the best ever... right next to Iron Maiden. That said, should I be adding a JP to the collection??

Nice. Yeah the machine definitely needs to be nudged to keep out of the outlane area as much as possible, and to save a failed Captain Marvel shot which usually heads straight down the middle.

Obviously play it first if you haven't, but JP is excellent. As good as AIQ is, I think JP is even better. You can tell they share some DNA, but they are not at all redundant or too similar to each other like some designers tend to do.

1 week later
#6925 2 years ago

I love how the balls look locked down there and spaced apart. It would definitely loose some impact if they were lumped together. Then again I am one of the lucky ones and my subway works perfectly after a little tweaking. My biggest complaint is I wish I were a couple inches taller so I could see them better without tip-toeing.

#6941 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Ball stops at ball lock 2 position even if just the first portal lock, this completely wrecks the game’s ability to know how many balls are in play. Any ideas? Switches tested done in subway test and it has a new finger lock mech.
[quoted image]

This is the correct position for lock 1, on the second finger. When a second is locked, it will first briefly stop on the first finger, then the fingers will drop to allow both ball to travel to the next position. So the first locked will be on the third finger, the second will be on the second finger. When you drop in another to start the mode it will briefly stop at the first finger, then they will drop to allow the balls to move to the VUK one position at a time.

#6985 2 years ago
Quoted from bsrhardy:

OK Guys and Gals,
Picked up a brand new (10 Plays) AIQ Prem. 2 issues. Dr. Strange portal not coming up. I hear that is it qualified, but no rise. #2 subway VUK not firing. Uggh. I check all the tests and did not see even a test for the VUK. Help..... Repairers Assemble..............I would love a step by step troubleshooting method. Super technical.. Solder be damned! I will prevail.
Standing by.

As awesome1 said, make sure you are running the correct code. Then make sure no connections worked themselves loose in shipping. That isn't uncommon. Check and reseat any connectors you trace to that area. If that didn't help, check any solder joints connected to those areas. If not any of those things, I would reinstall the latest code (even if it's already correct) just to make sure that's all good.

1 week later
#7099 2 years ago
Quoted from unsavory:

Thanks for the feedback! Can you suggest the best method for cleaning the playfield and at what frequency? The wholesaler that I purchased it from only told me to go in and tighten everything on the playfield that has a nut or screw as they loosen in shipping.

Do not use anything more harsh than you need to clean. Most cleaning can honestly be done with only a microfiber rag, though Novus 1 will shine it up quick. Novus 2 is great for heavier cleaning, but there should be no need for that any time soon (if ever at home). A good carnauba paste wax (not liquid) is an optional step. It's not really necessary on a new clearcoated playfield, but it will offer a bit of protection and help it stay clean longer. There are many other options for cleaning and waxing, but these are the most tried and true, and there is really no need to look beyond them.

#7103 2 years ago
Quoted from unsavory:

Thanks Jediturtle, really appreciate it. Would you say once a month with microfiber is the way to go? Or more/less? Then the Novus as needed?

No time limits. Clean it when it's dirty.

I will say a good layer of wax really helps my Captain Marvel ramp. Mine was really good out of the box, but a few weeks ago it seemed like I could make it half the time or less. Gave it a good wax and now it's flying around that ramp better than ever. So I would say clean it whenever it looks like it needs it, or when a larger than usual amount of (good) shots to Capt Marvel do not make it.

2 months later
#7873 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Appreciate the lead. Whatever shot that triggers that wooshing sound is the one causing this issue I think.

I would go into switch test and see if one is stuck. If not try pounding around on your playfield a bit to see if vibration triggers it. Remember to pull out your coin door interconnect switch since these new machines deactivate switches when the door is open.

#7882 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

So...I spoke with stern tech support. The inner loop opto isn't registering in test or in game. They had me run the active switch test and this opto showed up when it shouldn't. I had a new opto set from stern and they had me replace the opto set. Unfortunately, that hasn't solved it. With the new set installed, that opto still isn't registering in test or game and is still showing up on the active switch test. I haven't gotten the strange issue with the score mysteriously running up, but the shot isn't registering at all now.
Not quite sure what to do next

I would take a look at the opto board then and make sure there aren't any cold solder joints, shorts, etc.

#7931 2 years ago

I have installed many art blades. Tried one wet...maybe I used too much windex but man it was a nightmare. Sliding all over the place, couldn't get it to stick, hard time getting it squished out, etc. Never again. The dry method is nice and easy. Just be deliberate and take your time. Both Stern and Tilt Graphics are forgiving enough to allow you to pull off and reposition as long as you do not press them down hard. I have done about 50/50 playfield in or out. Out is certainly easier, but putting the pf upright it really isn't that bad. I have settled in that Spike games come out since they disconnect so easily with only a couple wires disconnected. Seriously takes all of 3 minutes to pull the playfield, and I can do it myself (though an extra person makes it much easier to put back in safely since I'm short). Earlier games that are more work to disconnect I just leave in. It's not bad either way. It looks much more intimidating than it actually is. After your first one, it will be no big deal. I agree that the Pinball Universe protectors are well worth the price, especially if you have a few machines with blades. Without them it's VERY easy to snag one no matter how careful you are. You can buy them from Pinball Life.

Pro vs Premium...for me it always comes down to if the changes significantly change how the game plays (and then if I find it to be for the better, LOL). For me games like Stranger Things, Jurassic Park, etc do not change the game enough to be worth the upgrade (to me!). They are mostly eye candy. Sweet eye candy, but still...the basic gameplay is the same with very minor differences. With AIQ, there are significant gameplay changes. The obvious one is the Captain Marvel ramp, which while it is a very tough shot, it might be the single most satisfying shot ever. The raising disc is also a huge difference in how portal locks and mode starts are handled. It is a very satisfying mech (even if you bypass the physical locks, it is still awesome to smack a ball into the portal). The pro is still a very cool game, but to me the premium makes enough significant play changes to make it worth the upgrade.

JP vs AIQ? Ugg. No. Just no. Can't make that choice, LOL. I love both machines so much I finally broke down and added an Iron Maiden to the collection to complete the trifecta. If absolutely forced to choose, I think I would keep JP, but man, it's close. I might give a different answer tomorrow. I think for me the JP ruleset is just a bit more amazing...things like the way you can boost the T-Rex hurry-up and jackpot values by hitting shots before cashing in on the hurry-up, the ability to make a single stand-up target feel like the ultimate sniper shot for a smart missile, the four way combo skill shot, etc are freaking brilliant. And that is not to even mention any of the three types of modes (of which the T-Rex modes are all super intense and crazy fun). I'm not taking ANYTHING away from AIQ, which also has an amazing ruleset, but I guess that is my thought if I was forced to choose between them. I find the layouts pretty even, both being super satisfying all around. Theme is even for me. AIQ has better art overall, but I really do love JP's cabinet and translite (pf is brought way down by the insane decision to put Nedry on it...ugg). Every inch of AIQ is beautiful. A/V assets are a wash for me...I know it's a point of complaint for many people on both machines, but I love them both. The dinosaur animations on JP are alot of fun. A personal favorite is the ankylosaurus smacking the ball back into play for the ball save. The default truck windshield paddock view is a little meh, but not bad. T-Rex mode animations are awesome. AIQ I really love the motion comic style. To me it's perfect...I actually like it better than if it were full motion. And since changing the default view from the trophy room (ugg) to the sanctum, I have zero complaints. Audio again to me is just fine for both games. Not mind blowing on either, but perfectly fitting and enjoyable. Overall, both are awesome games and you can't go wrong with either.

#7950 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I am a new member to the club with an AIQ Prem born on 8-17. I have read and watched many tutorials so have the gist of the game.
In a game today, I attempted to put the Power Gem (Red) on Blank Panther. The ball went up and through the star rollover but the gem got put on the pops lane (Capt America). I found this odd so I took off the glass and tried the same thing and got same result. I tried a third time but made the ball make the full orbit and it was placed on Black Panther.
I thought maybe a switch was incorrect but I get credit for black panther ramps and get flank attacks when going up black panther and through the star rollover. All switches seem to be registering correct.
Is this the same behavior that others see? Is this because that isn’t considered a full black panther shot but rather a flank attack?

Black Panther shot should always require a full orbit/ramp. Anything that stops short is a flank attack. It sounds like your machine acted correctly putting the gem on the Cap shot since a flank attack would lead into the pops.

3 weeks later
#8247 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

Good question...I've got around 40-50 games with it and so far haven't noticed any problems. BTW, while I had the subway out I also completed the walking mech. mod as posted by Sqwalker (post#7412); the subway has never looked or performed better.
Now I just need to play better. Speaking of which...a quick survey to see if I still need to make some adjustments. I'm at about 6.5° and I've been paying attention to coil stops.
1. Black panther orbit is easy from a trap, but very difficult from an in-lane feed (I always ricochet off Thor). Same/different for you?
2. Hulk, hard to make it when it counts; is this a tight shot or should I be looking to make an adjustment?

I struggle with both of those shots, but it is 100% me and not the game. They are just tough shots. Not sure if this applies to you, but I will say that I initially put Pinball Life's perfect play flipper rubbers on. They are the only silicone rubbers that feel close to rubber for me (superbands are atrocious), and on many games they are fine. When I got my Iron Maiden recently, it shot like crap with them on. Went back to real rubber and it improved 100%. So I recently put real rubber back on my AIQ as an experiment. Sure enough, most of the shots simply feel better. My Captain Marvel accuracy went way up, as did BP, Hulk, and most of the other shots in the game. I thought it was just my usual lack of skill, but this is definitely another game that simply shoots better with stock style flipper rubbers. Silicone sure looks nice, but just doesn't shoot well with some games, and performance wins over looks to me.

#8250 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Interesting. I use the Perfect Play flipper rubbers on all my games, except I use a Super Band for the upper left flipper on AIQ because of the beating it can take. Like you I think the Perfect Play are pretty close to regular rubber.
Definitely agree to go with what feels best, it took me a bit to get that Super Bands upper flipper feeling "dialed in".

Yeah, I like PP on most games, especially after a few games when the initial stickiness wears off. Never really thought about it on AIQ, but IMDN was such a difference I was shocked going back to regular. AIQ wasn't a HUGE difference, but definitely more noticeable than I expected. As for durability, I never had an issue with PP on my upper flipper, and it must have been on there 500 games or so. We'll see how well the regular rubber lasts...I'm expecting not very well, LOL.

2 weeks later
#8463 2 years ago

Yeah there is definitely some sort of audio "defects". I think clipping is the correct term, but not sure. It doesn't seem to be volume related. I've noticed it on a few other recent Sterns as well, but AIQ seems the worst. It's not terrible though, and I'm pretty much used to it.

#8472 2 years ago

Most standup targets (on all games) will eventually get bashed enough to bend them back slightly, which basically turns them into little catapults. Just bend them back forward. Usually you can do it with your fingers, but sometimes a flat head screwdriver behind it for leverage helps. It's ok to go a little "too far", but make sure the switch isn't stuck shut after. May have to adjust the switch blades a bit.

2 weeks later
#8639 2 years ago

Man, I hate this game.

No...I love it. But I hate it. Thanos is such a butthole!

1 week later
#8711 2 years ago

For anyone still struggling with the Captain Marvel ramp, if you are using any sort of silicone or non-stock rubber, try going back to stock for awhile and see what happens. I like Perfect Plays on many games...to me they are the closest to real rubber I have tried, and they look nice. But I have been noticing on some games, the shots just do not feel right. It seems like Elwin games especially suffer, which kind of makes sense as he pushes the boundaries of shot geometry more than most. My Iron Maiden especially shot like crap with anything other than stock rubber. I switched my AIQ back to rubber a few weeks back, and thought that shot quite a bit better too. Shots feel more like they are where they should be, ramps and orbits had more speed and snap, and most importantly, the Cap Marvel ramp was MUCH easier.

I have been playing with my pitch a bit, trying to find the sweet spot for all the shots. I am sure it is mostly me, but I had really been struggling with some of them, especially Hulk and Black Panther. I tried ~6.5 and ~7.0, neither of which felt quite right, and landed somewhere between the two where everything finally seemed to flow together better for me. Then just for fun I thought I would switch the rubbers back to the Perfect Plays and see if that was all in my head. Nope. While most of the shots were still ok, the Captain Marvel ramp just went to hell. Good shots were back to a 50/50 if they were going to make it or not. It just seemed to run out of gas more so than an actual reject. Went back to normal rubber, and boom, combo after combo with no issues (other than my own accuracy). I THINK what is happening is the Perfect Plays (and any other silicone), being a bit stickier, is introducing some extra spin on the ball when flipped. That spin seems to be fighting the geometry of the Captain Marvel ramp. Besides that, the rubber must be slightly harder (?), which is what seems to give the rest of the shots a bit more "authority" when hitting them.

So long story short, if you have fancy flipper rubbers and are struggling with the shots, especially the Capt Marvel ramp, give regular rubber a try. You might need a few games to readjust your accuracy, but it's worth a try. Sure they do not look as good, and will wear quicker, but for me the playability difference was huge and that is more important.

1 week later
#8746 2 years ago

Picked up the armor at MGC.

6B00CC02-37A6-4461-B9B7-C167EBE3B909 (resized).jpeg6B00CC02-37A6-4461-B9B7-C167EBE3B909 (resized).jpeg81BBF978-E8A9-46FC-A9E8-EEB3706A5F89 (resized).jpeg81BBF978-E8A9-46FC-A9E8-EEB3706A5F89 (resized).jpegDDD2656B-749E-4533-9D76-E57537F1F619 (resized).jpegDDD2656B-749E-4533-9D76-E57537F1F619 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#8893 2 years ago
Quoted from LS98:

Hey guys. Newb here. Help please. My lock down bar button to launch ball doesn't work at the beginning of the game. But if a guy has the mind gem or such and uses the action button, it works.
It also seems my secret skill shots are unable to be accomplished, - back door, avengers tower, middle pop up.
I went under the maintenence menu and made sure skills shots were on and they are.
Anyone have any similar issues? Thank you for any guidance.

It sounds like you have a switch either stuck or oversensitive that is triggering when the ball kicks out of the trough to the shooter lane. That would cancel your skill shot and also stop the button from launching the ball. The other possibility would be the shooter lane switch itself not working. Then the game wouldn't know the ball is there and therefore not launch from the button and not have the skill shots active. Go to your switch test in the menu and see if anything is triggered that shouldn't be. If not, smack your playfield a few times with your hand and see if anything triggers just from that vibration. Then adjust whatever isn't working right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
6,644 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rockville, MD
$ 300.00
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

4,999 (Firm)
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.