IMG_1987 (resized).jpeg
look (resized).png
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
tmold (resized).jpg
Avengers Right Orbit rattles.gif
05.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider awesome1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

903 posts in this topic match your search for posts by awesome1. You are on page 4 of 4.
#10464 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

How hard was it to install? I just got my Avengers yesterday and was looking at it.

If you are mechanically inclined and somewhat familiar with working on pins, it’s not difficult.
If you haven’t “tinkered” much, it will be more difficult, but John has excellent instructions with the disc and is willing to answer any questions.

#10473 1 year ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

This one is pretty useful but the one post i'm thinking of was if the shaft was slanted and out of alignment with the playfield.

I put a thin washer under a couple of the screws between disc mount body and bottom of playfield under the playfield to level it.

#10474 1 year ago
Quoted from pixelpete:

Got my AIQ Prem last November.
I already played 2500+ games and wanted to share some simple modes.
I replaced the bumper lights and added colored RGBs at all the ramps and orbits to roughly match the associated Avenger color.
It helped teach the kids which lane was what. Also I felt the back playfield was kinda dark.
Adding lights was super cheap. I did not buy the kit. I got GI bulbs with spliced wires (Mezel Mods) and simply add additional led bulbs.
(No issues with power. This was first mod and was all stressed out. No problem at all.)
Also, the kids kept getting the back stuck on the Captain Marvel loop so I wrapped ingle stranded 12 gauge wire so when the ball falls off the rails
and can't make it around, the ball bounces off the looped wire. I'm thinking of adding a tinted clear 1/2 dome tunnel to replace the wrapped wire.
Also, on the VUK (small upside down 1/2 loop) the ball shoots too hard upward (I think) stressing the rails and mounts. I added a cut piece of plastic tubing to protect the ball from damage (minimal improvement) with the rail and also adjusted the VUK value. I turned it WAY down and works a lot better. See numbers below.
Also, I already replaced a set of balls once I noticed small dots (pitting) on the surface.
Here is a sight that sells balls: https://pgnbearings.com/collections/1-chrome-steel-balls/products/5-1-inch-g25-precision-chrome-steel-bearing-balls
Not sure if okay, but looks good. I know some balls are a fraction larger than 1".
Also, I changed a number of Feature Adjustments (personal preference, I wanted enough force but not to damage or prematurely wear parts)
#199 left flipper 240
#200 right flipper 240
#201 left flipper upper 220
#202 slingshot 20
#203 pop bumper 20
#204 eject power 210
#205 auto plunger 210
#??? Slingshot 20
#214 subway VUK power 125 (so much better now)
Oh, I notice the Spinner Disc sticks up just a bit, anyone know how to lower it a touch?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The ball shouldn't be able to fall out of the wireform... I did make a DIY Lexan fix for the gap at the bottom of the wireform to the ramp. There is also a 3D printed version available to purchase.

IMG_1031 (resized).JPGIMG_1031 (resized).JPG

Pinballs should be 1-1/16" so maybe the 1" one's you bought are allowing them to fit through? Otherwise you may need to tweak or replace the wireform. I like the Ball Baron Ninja balls. I clean and wax playfield often, but still change out the balls around every 500 games played or so when they get scuffed up.
https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/

#10478 1 year ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

Hmm, I assumed the balls would get magnetized by the tower.
Sweet, i'll switch to the shinier Ninja balls.

I've never had them magnetize in any of my games with magnets - AIQ, Twilight Zone and even Godzilla.

I do change them around every 500 or so plays though.

#10479 1 year ago

Is the Diddy's mod Captain Marvel Ramp Fix necessary? I get quite a few rejections and air balls from it, but a solid straight hit goes right through it still.
2020 build.

As EaglePin mentioned - Diddy's mod or the DIY version like I did are a personal choice. Before the mod, I would get balls that would fall out the back of the ramp as well as some rejects. Now, even with the mod you need a good shot to still make it all the way around the Captain Marvel ramp. Personally, that's my favorite shot in the game, possibly all of pinball!

My AIQ is October 2020 build.

2 weeks later
#10532 1 year ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

It’s actually not the up post that causes it. There is a one way gate that when the ball shoot’s up the tower, that gate hinges up so the ball can go upwards but when it comes back down the gate isn’t supposed to move so it directs the ball to the left and it rolls along the ball guide.
For some reason my tower release doesn’t just ride down the ball guide, now it drops slightly to the right, hitting the gate and then causing an uncontrolled roll

I have 3500+ games played on my AIQ Premium and don't have this issue. Double check the side to side level if you haven't already and as mentioned, may need to raise the right rear just a touch. I'm also at 6.8° slope if you want to try that.

#10556 1 year ago

Looking forward to playing "Gem Mania" now since I don't have the official topper. Probably can boost scores with it a little as well.

#10573 1 year ago

Trying out new code... Defeated Thanos with all 6 gems, Computer Frenzy, Trophy Mania. Just squeaked out 5 Billion... Didn't even make it on my High Score leaderboard!

IMG_3096 (resized).JPGIMG_3096 (resized).JPG
#10575 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Time to tone down the max extra balls

AIQ does have a fair amount of Extra Ball rewards.

I’ve thought about it because of longer game times, but so far have left EB’s at factory defaults.

#10579 1 year ago
Quoted from Steakfist:

Anyone have any tips for drop targets that stick every now and then? Seems to be the bottom one most of all and is super annoying when going for it in soul gem and the ball just bounces off until I hit it once or twice more. I've taken the whole drop target assembly out and cleaned with alcohol to make sure there's no gunk but is it possible it could be binding on the rubber behind the drops?

I haven't had to do any of this myself, but have seen in the Deadpool group - some people put in stronger springs (or cutting a link or two out of existing spring) to make it pull down harder. Also check the "ledge" that the targets rest on as well as make sure there is open space in the playfield behind the target.

#10607 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

It was a pain to put on for how tight they are, but the super bands flipper rubbers are extremely durable. Had been going through several pretty quickly as well, but as soon as I swapped them with those, haven't had to replace them in a while

Yeah, the Superband flipper rubber has lasted a few thousand plays on my upper flipper. I also use Superbands on posts, but prefer Perfect Play flipper rubbers on the bottom flippers, but they don't last long on that upper flipper.

#10614 1 year ago
Quoted from nstern2:

Anyone run into any random reboots with this game running the latest code? Picked up a 2nd hand pro over the weekend and I am now noticing that every once in a while it will lock up and then reboot at the end of a high scoring game right before I enter initials. Already replaced the SD card, but I am going to flash it again just to be sure.

I haven't noticed any issues with latest code on my Premium. I am thinking SD card as well...

#10618 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Whoo, finally had the miracle game where everything came together, and topped awesome1 's score.
[quoted image]
All factory settings (including 5 EB max), and still on 1.03 code, so not the increased Gamma Ray and Thor Multiball scoring.
My quest progression: Power Gem (on Panther), Soul Gem (on Capt Marvel), Reality Gem (then intentionally lost to Thanos Attacks), Reality Gem again (on Cap specifically for Black Order Multiball, then Hulk for the Space Gem quest, then later Capt Marvel), Mind Gem (on Widow), Time Gem (on the drops), Space Gem.
[quoted image]
The big thing I blew up was the Space Gem quest. I don't know exactly how the scoring for this works, but the general idea is that most of the scoring happens on the left orbit, and adds to the final blow value, so I set up for this with Reality Gem on level-2 Hulk and also Panther at level-2 from the power gem. I think I hit the upper loop for all three possible 4x attack shots (once by way of a level-2 Mind Gem hit, which I think counts to collect the left orbit plus all of the next attack combo for center ramp - gauntlet ramp - upper loop.) I also cashed in the Soul Gem Jackpot for over 700M, although the Capt Marvel multiplier was only at 4x not 5x.
I also went big on Time Gem, for about 90 million base then 100 million worth of victory laps, and got the Soul Gem Jackpot for 380M there.
And the billion for Thanos of course. Nothing else went really big, but I didn't biff anything else either; Battle Royale, Computer Frenzy, Super Victory Laps, and Trophy Mania each all scored in the low 400M range. This included a level-2 Mind Gem hit during Trophy Mania (after using Space Gem to get Mind Gem over to a level-2 Black Panther), although then I drained out of the multiball with the super lit for 240M.
[quoted image]
And the last big thing was that I got around to Soul Gem a second time, and nailed it bigtime in hard mode, with a level-1 Mind Gem ready to go. The big thing here is Reality Gem on a maxed Captain Marvel, which scores 1,750,000 x 10 x 5 x 2 = 175M for the one shot.
I also got to Black Order MB a second time, scoring decently but not huge on both, about 200M the first time and 100M the second time. Besides that, tacked on some Binary hurryups, combo jackpots, and also bonus of over 100M three times including the collect-bonus grid award.
So now I'll be ready to focus on the Star Wars I have on order for later this month...

Nicely Done!

I've got my work cut out for me!

#10620 1 year ago
Quoted from koops:

I've looked at the key posts and didn't find an answer to this one but is there any additional marvel ramp fixes apart from the one here ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-aiq-captain-marvel-ramp-fix ).
I keep getting balls that fly off the ramp after its gone past where that other fix goes and then lands between marvel ramp wire and the gauntlet wire which means I always have to take the glass off.

There's also a DIY Lexan fix that does basically the same thing as the 3D printed part for Captain Marvel ramp to fill the "hole" where the ramp meets the wireform.

It sounds like the balls are coming out of the wireform in the "loop" section. The ball shouldn't be able to fit through the wireform. Check fitment of the wireform at the rear of CM ramp, mount in front/left of CM ramp and at Ant Man VUK. The 2 prongs should go down inside the front of the Ant Man VUK, if they are on the ledge it can lead to issues.

If you just get an occasional stray ball that richochets and lands outside, on top of the wireform, but gets stuck where the wireforms cross each other, you can slightly bend one or both to make enough clearance.

If all of that checks out, you may need a replacement wireform if I'm understanding the issue properly.

#10654 1 year ago
Quoted from pinopinballmods:

Hello, I have a little problem with my pinball machine. In the middle of the game, the balls are ejected one after the other into the ball launch corridor. So I find myself with all the balls in this corridor and the launch of the balls does not take place!!! Any idea ?
Thanks for your help !
Lionel.

Check your shooter lane switch to make sure it is registering correctly. Seems like the game doesn't think a ball is in the shooter lane, so keeps sending more out.

#10660 1 year ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

Damn, was hoping to get a score up on the stern leaderboard but looks like Awesome1 already has a good one up (~4B)

Yeah, this should be fun! Got a few games in this afternoon, but may not get a chance to play again until the weekend unfortunately, but looking forward to seeing how high we can all go!

Fun way to have some competition!

Screenshot 2022-08-15 172401 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-08-15 172401 (resized).jpg
#10666 1 year ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

alright, be honest. do you think GZ is better than AIQ? I like both, but GZ seems markedly better, and I don't care for either theme. am i the only one?
Elwin is king of stern, forever regardless. we are all at the mercy of theme selections now. Thank god for great PF designs and unique shots

I have both games in Premium... AIQ almost 2 years and Godzilla only 4 months.

Godzilla is a theme I like very much, so I may be biased.

Godzilla theme integration, video and audio is much better than AIQ.

I like the flow of AIQ better though.. you can keep stringing shots together whereas Godzilla doesn't let you do that or doesn't reward you for doing it. Godzilla doesn't have a shot as cool as the Captain Marvel ramp...

Code depth seems similar, both are very deep and broad.

I have gotten to the point where I don't play AIQ nearly as much, just because I've gotten 'good' at it and finished it many times. It fits my playing style of comboing and shooting a fair amount on the fly, which leads to longer play times.

Godzilla is still the new game and I'm still in the honeymoon phase of trying to fully 'beat it'. Godzilla is more of the complete package - similar to Deadpool in that regard in my opinion, but I still love AIQ as well!

#10675 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

I've also had problems with the ramp of captain marvel... it didn't register the ball passing through the ramp... the culprit is the switch that is closest to ant-man... I have bent the switch wire a bit to that registers the ball pass but it seems that over time it stops registering the ball pass again.... has anyone had this problem too? how do I solve it? change the switch for another design?

Bending the switch arm out is the solution. You may need to bend it a little further.

#10676 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Does anyone know how to solve the flying balls of the target of the eye of agamoto?

This can happen - broke my plastic above it...

I've seen wedges made to help with this, but I haven't tried them myself since my plastic already broke, it shouldn't do any more damage . I still get an occasional air ball off of it from time to time.

#10682 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

with the objective outside the machine?

No, I just bent mine in place on the wireform. You can hold the arm so it doesn't try to stress the pivot point... you just want to bend the metal arm out into the wireform path a little more.

#10686 1 year ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Are you talking about Diana de Agamoto or Captain Marvel's Switch?

Captain Marvel on the wireform.

Also as others mentioned - You can bend the Sanctum Dr. Strange target forward as well to possibly lessen the airballs. The wedges I mentioned - I'm sure you can find them on pinside pretty cheap - lean the target forward.

Edit: Found these: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1377-hippies-haven/05733-anti-airball-target-bracket-wedge

#10687 1 year ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

So I missed a couple of spots when trying to clean this bad boy. Right underneath the two wireforms for the black panther ramp and the black widow ramp there are still small parts of what looks like dirt where the ball drops onto the plastic protectors. Two of the areas that needed the most cleaning I completely spaced on. I will pop the glass off again this weekend and have another go on just those spots. I did notice with all the wireforms running around it is pretty hard to get my hand in some places where I feel like I need to give it a better clean, like the Hulk orbit. Also I am looking into waxing it but it seems people have differing opinions about waxing the machine. I read over VID's cleaning and waxing guide but with the argument over using wax vs just novus 2, I got a little confused on whether or not I should after reading about the damage wax can do to the post. Kinda worried I will put too much wax on the machine but I am more of a visual learner so I looked at some of the Buffalo Pinball videos on cleaning and waxing but I still don't feel any more comfortable with waxing. Do you guys wax this machine and if so do you remove anything/do you remove and clean the subway (I also didn't do that)? I want to be able to take care of my own machine but I am starting to consider trying to find someone to clean it for me. I feel like I am putting in a pretty good bit of research in the best ways to take care of this thing as suggested by many pinsiders but as for waxing I am just not comfortable yet. I have done some other things like installing a shaker motor, lifting the playfield to install the Stern art blades, fixed some wiring issues a couple of times, and I keep waiting for something to go wrong mechanically so I can take my first shot at fixing it. Am I overthinking this whole waxing thing?
My family, my friends, and I have put just under 500 plays on this machine in two months and I plan on using it for a long time so I want to be able to take care of it but at the same time I don't want to damage it not knowing really what I am doing. I know this might not be the perfect place to post these questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a million different responses on cleaning and waxing, so do what you are comfortable with.

Personally I do clean and wax. You can roll the micro fiber towel up to get in the hard to reach areas. You can also use something like a chop stick or drum stick to push the towel around in hard to reach areas.

I just use Novus 1 on the towel to clean playfield, ramps, rubbers and balls. I also change balls out around every 500 games once they are scuffed up.

You can use Wizard's Mist and Shine or similar to act as a wax and speed up the play. It is easy to put on and buff out with your hand.

Most that do wax will recommend pure Carnauba. To me, it's too difficult to work with and leaves powdery residue. I have tried many things and currently use a Graphene spray wax. Super easy to put on and buff off like the Wizard's, but lasts longer in my opinion and may also be a little faster - and the Wizard's is noticeably faster than not using anything.

Modern games like AIQ are clearcoated and for home use probably don't even need wax - so it really is up to you. Any type of cleaning and changing the balls out will give you years of having a nice playfield.

2 weeks later
#10753 1 year ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

That is a great video. If you get all the gems then battle thanos is an immediate win when you get there worth 1bil I believe. There were a lot of points left on the table in that game though.
This game I flubbed and drained right after defeating the black order. Just needed to collect all the avengers one last time to defeat thanos with all the stones and increase that score to nearly 4 bil. I love this game but wow is it a long player.
[quoted image]

Yeah, 2.5B after collecting the 1B Thanos bonus for having all 6 gems is a pretty low score for that point in the game.

During the Stern Worldwide Leaderboard event I broke 5.6B twice and both times I only had 5 gems when I got to Battle Thanos...
AIQ Worldwide Leaderboard Final Scores (resized).jpgAIQ Worldwide Leaderboard Final Scores (resized).jpg

I ended up in second place. Congrats to CaptainBZ! 7.4B is the highest I've seen. I've broken 6B 5 times now, but you really have to maximize scoring opportunities to hit 5B and above. Not an easy task during a 60 to 90+ minute game. You have to have full knowledge of the rules, good skills and definitely a little luck.

Here's a link to video of one of my 6.3B games.

#10759 1 year ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Is there anywhere I can find a tutorial on how to best remove some of the posts and plastics on this machine? I am having some issues cleaning my machine where there are a lot of plastics right on top of each other and how best to remove them. On the black Panther Orbit ramp I have a blackish-brownish streak starting where the plastic covers it up. It is also putting a good bit of dirt on my right inlane that can even be seen after only about 10 plays after cleaned. You can hardly see anything on the left inlane but the right one gets dirty pretty quickly. Does anyone have any ideas where this is from? I thought I did a decent job of cleaning the shooter rod and definitely the other areas of the playfield. I used Novus 1 to clean it if that matters to anyone.

I'm not sure on disassembly videos, especially AIQ specific, but if you have basic tools and are familiar using them, removing any plastics or components shouldn't give you too much trouble. Mostly a Phillips screwdriver and a nut driver or socket set and some Allen/Hex wrench/sockets for flippers, and coil stops.

I recommend you take some before pics so you can reference how everything went together in case you don't remember. Keep plastics and screws together as they were on the machine.

With that said - I don't find that I need to remove anything to fully clean and wax AIQ. I just roll my micro fiber cloth up like a cigar and slide it through areas that are hard to reach. Use a chop stick, pencil, extendable magnet or whatever wont scratch the playfield to move the cloth around if needed.

If you have a few thousand plays on your machine you can remove the subway and clean it as well.

Clean the pinballs when you clean the playfield and I also clean the rubbers, flippers, ramps, everything. Replace the pinballs around every 500 or so games played and clean (and wax if you like) the new balls before putting them in the game.

#10771 1 year ago
Quoted from farmball150:

Sorry for the late follow-up, but I was searching for some advice on cleaning the Black Panther / Launch chute on the upper left without taking the whole thing apart. Does this technique work well there, even with the curve in the metal path?

Yes, it works great in all the tight spots!

1 week later
#10789 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Playing tonight ran into an issue I’d never noticed before. Curious if anyone else thinks it qualifies as a bug.
Disc was up to start a battle. I cradled on the right to go after the one drop target that was up. Knocking it down would complete a row and award portal lock, so I wanted to hit that first before starting a battle.
I hit the drop, it dropped, and the ball bounced off a post and into the portal to start a battle. But it didn’t award the portal lock. It had me select the battle, and then after I did that I saw the lcd screen animation come up for awarding a portal lock from the grid. But the battle started without it and the portal lock was instead available after that battle.
Seems like the portal lock should have been awarded for the first battle since the drops were hit before going into the hole to start the battle. Does that seem right?

Yeah, sounds like a bug - timing or sequence issue and I think I have had had similar or the same happen.

Of course when I want the sequencing to be off like when I accidentally hit Thor captive ball to start a multiball and ricochet into the portal which would have started a battle (usually with 2 staged portal locks), but instead I start Thor multiball...

#10794 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, I didn't already have 2 portal locks. It was a timing bug. The portal lock was earned before the ball went into the disc to select a quest. But the quest started and then the portal lock wasn't recognized until after that quest ended. Should have been the other way around. Since the portal lock was earned before the ball went in the disc, both the portal lock and quest should have been active at the same time when the ball went into the disc so I could get it in that battle.

You should email Stern about it, though not sure if they will do anything about it at this point... Still waiting on the Final Wizard Mode defeat of Mr.Sinister Animation in Deadpool... it just shows a gray box for about 10 seconds!

I have emailed Stern about bugs in the past and sometimes they respond with more questions. I had an issue in earlier AIQ code where I played the Battle Royale mini game and under some situations - it would continue with a regular game when the mini game finished and they fixed that.

#10797 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Oh my goodness. You guys aren't going to believe this one. I'm not sure I do either.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Blew away my previous high by more than 5 billion. The differences were in the Space Gem quest plus its Soul Gem Jackpot (about 1.5 billion difference total), Trophy Mania (another 1.5), bonus (1 billion total - had 390M on one incredibly long ball, plus got Collect Bonus from the grid when it was at 350M, plus had the multiplier held for another 200M next ball), and the rest from assorted Binary hurryups and combos and such.
The Space Gem quest went so huge like this - it comes from the Reality Gem on level-2 Hulk, since all the quest's scoring is concentrated on this one shot. The third attack shot scores 3M base x3 for portal locks x4 for a parry combo on the upper loop x4 for Reality Gem, which comes to 144M. The first two attack shots scored a few tens of millions as well, to a total of around 240M. Then the final blow on Panther collects 60% of the quest value so far x2 for level 2 = 288M, for a quest total of 538M. And I got the Soul Gem Jackpot for 250% of that, on Captain Marvel at 5x, of course.
And I got in the biggest groove I've ever seen on Trophy Mania. Three different times I railed off 8 to 10 consecutive gauntlet ramp shots to get the add-a-ball each time (this is what to do in Trophy Mania, catch everything you can on the right flipper and loop the Gauntlet ramp with one ball.) I got a lot of disc spins early on to raise the value as well. I got the super jackpot three times, going up to about 250m for the last. Also had Reality Gem on level-2 Black Widow which added quite a bit for that shot along the way as well.
This was all still on 1.03 code, so not the higher Thor and Gamma scoring. (Too bad - with those in place I probably would have made 12 billion.)

Damn Dude, that's F'n impressive! Way to go vikingerik !

I haven't been playing AIQ as much since the game times are so long, but I did concentrate on it the couple weeks for the Stern Worldwide Leaderboard and only hit 5.8 Billion for second place and that score didn't even get me on my own leaderboard.

I can fully appreciate "putting it all together" in a single game and man everything must have gone right this game!

#10807 1 year ago

I always go mind gem first. Get those free button completions which help greatly on soul gem with a level 1 or 2 avenger it's on (usually black widow early on). Lately soul gem is the second thing I have to do after getting it. I try to take at least 1 portal lock and a multiball and if I have a good one I collect all avengers before the quest/victory laps is over. Then going into soul gem I choose hard and use the button presses on black panther, thor, and the computer. Usually finish that with 200-250 mil.

That's basically my beginning game strategy most of the time as well. Get Mind gem on L1 or L2 Avenger and use it for Hard Soul gem.

#10815 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

Why do portal locks award multiball on Soul Gem? Seems like a huge detriment.

They don't. If you are getting multiball on Soul gem mode then you may have an issue with your subway optos or "fingers".

#10829 1 year ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

So I finally took the floaties off this weekend and cannonballed into the deep end and did a partial tear down of the my premium to put in some blue titans I ordered. I removed all the ramps with the exception of the marvel ramp and removed most of the plastics. I even removed the city scape and Thanos plastic in the back so I could remove the black Panther orbit ramp plastic to get at a bad spot on the ramp. After getting everything off I hit as much of the playfield as I could with some Novus one and Novus 2 using the latter really sparingly. I also waxed it for the first time which wasn’t bad at all.
I did run into a problem when replacing the rubbers though and now I need some advice or help. I was unable to put rubbers on the two post that are in front of the scoop because I couldn’t get the wakanda/ant man plastic off. It feels like the plastic is glued or something to the metal it is sitting on at the point my finger is at in the bottom picture below. Is this done on purpose for some reason I am unaware of and is there a way to remove it and replace those two rubbers?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You need to remove the (2) standoffs I put arrows pointing at. Use a 1/4" nut driver or wrench.

Screenshot 2022-09-19 220542 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-09-19 220542 (resized).jpg
#10862 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Since a relevelling, I've been playing AIQ just so much better the past week. Question on how to beat the game as I don't remember where I had the long rules sheet saved.
Twice lately I've been able to collect all 6 gems (and defend them along the way). But then I didn't know what to do. If you try to start a mode it just says none are available. I collected all Avengers and once I had to do something with the Black Order. I got through that and then didn't know what to do. There's not enough narration IMO to know how to progress deep in the game. Perhaps they spent so much time writing such gems as "I am Iron Man" and "I'm Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow" they forgot to include narration for the rest of the game.
Once you have all the gems, what are the other milestones that have to be reached to beat the game, and how do you qualify for them?

Yeah, go with the recommendations of what the others were saying.
If you are already winning all 6 gems you are close. That’s the easiest time to collect Avengers and advance deeper to Battle Thanos and beyond.
Make sure you have some time set aside as some games can get to 60 to 90 minutes or even longer!
I have some videos on YouTube, search my username. They are Gameplay, not instructional.

1 week later
#10892 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

My Ace Hardware had pretty crappy sliders. It's been on my backburner list to find sliders that fit exactly to the feet circle diameters on all my pins as I'd seen them before on pinside, so maybe I'll try ordering the magic sliders.
Still making my way through the thread, just cracked into the 100 page mark out of 218 re: my number of posts per page. Got to the timeframe where evidently Stern was releasing some machines with washers under the suspect ball guides - mine is an Apr 2022 build and did not have any washers. Added one under antman rail last night while doing rubbers, probably look into Thor as well.
One question I did have - does the audio hardware vary much between recent Stern spike 2 games? My Dec 2021 build STh Pro sounds quite a bit better than this Avengers Pro. The main woofer is crackle city on this even at like volume 14. I'd assume the pros would pretty much have the same amplification and speakers.
edit: today I messed around while someone else was playing and seemed to be able to minimize what I thought was speaker crackling by pushing up against the outside edges of the speaker grate, so I'll play around more with securing the woofer and some foam/quiet tape.

Replacing the factory speakers will help considerably and tweaking the Stern EQ settings and also the attenuation settings to your liking. There's a good DIY thread if you want to go that route.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/

Also - many remove the grate cover from the cabinet speaker as it can vibrate and cause unwanted noise that sounds like speaker crackling.

#10933 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

What do you mean by ending your game here? It's a multiball, and when it ends you just transition back to normal play, it doesn't do anything to end your game. BOMB isn't something you win or lose like a gem quest or the Thanos modes, it just scores points.
The thresholds to qualify the jackpot from each Avenger are displayed directly on the screen. You can do any of them in any order. Each completed Avenger increases the jackpot multiplier, and lights the Captain Marvel ramp/lane to increase it again. Once you light at least one jackpot, you collect it at the Hawkeye loop. After that, spin the disc to spell Strange to light the super jackpot. Collect that at the Captain America lane to add a ball and recover the Soul Gem if you didn't have it.

Trying to remember if I ever "died" on BOMB... I think I have drained all balls and ended the ball if not the game there before.

#10937 1 year ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I guess I could’ve put this anywhere but figured I’ve been a member in this thread the longest. Does anybody take the glass off their pin to practice specific shots?

I never have. Sometimes I will just practice or concentrate on certain shots to help "Groove them in", but during normal gameplay.

I did this specifically on AIQ with the Hawkeye upper loop shot, because for a while I was struggling to collect Hawkeye Challenges and also get the Jackpots in Black Order Multiball.

#10964 1 year ago
Quoted from Savageroots:

Looking at possible adding a shaker motor to my cabinet. What are peoples opinions? I was looking at pinballlife at this
Shaker Motor Kit (Rev C) For Stern SPIKE & SPIKE 2 System Games
Worth it or not with this table?

AIQ has good use of the shaker and the Pinball Life shaker works well.

2 weeks later
#11018 1 year ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hi everyone. I own a AIQ Premium, and struggle a lot with ball rattle when shooting from the shooter lane. This results in balls not making it all the way around and being fed to the flipper. Instead it rattles around and usually end up falling down though the pops.
I tried several adjustments based on (really old) suggestions in this thread. But unfortunately have not been able to solve it, resulting in me actually not bothering to play the machine as it really annoys me (along with the vertical ramp constantly rejecting balls even though i have that 3D printet fix that should help with that problem).
The reason for this new post, is that i recently got a Godzilla Premium, that had severe issues with skill shots due to ball rattle. But yesterday i learned about the ABE FLIPS fix for that specific problem. Its essentially just a small 3D printed "shim" that is tapet to the right side of the shooter lane. And it works brililantly!
So it made me wonder: It there any kind of 3D printed fix for ball rattle on the AIQ machines?

Once you are sure the ball is centered with the auto and manual shooters and you are still having difficulty with plunges, my "fixes" will 100% get you to making full plunges consistently.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/145#post-6332227

#11021 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Do those stay pretty snug inside the rubber? Might have a 3d printer friend make me one to try out, the stock shooter rod seems like it sits awfully far back.

You can also shim the position of the shooter rod. Washers on the inside of the cab before the inner spring will move the tip farther in closer to the ball and washers on the outside of the cab before the outer spring will move the tip farther away. Both spring lengths and tensions will also have an impact.

1 week later
#11062 1 year ago

Hadn't played AIQ in a couple weeks and first game back, surprisingly got my best Iron Man multiball score!

IMG_3416 (resized).JPGIMG_3416 (resized).JPG
#11069 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I have been having trouble with my plunger auto-launcher reliably getting all the way around. I have upgraded my coil and plunger spring per this thread. However it is still not working every time in game. For note, I have the coil strength at 255, it doesn't seem better at lower values. However, the weird part is that it does work 100% of the time if I do coil test just not in game always.
Does this game vary the launch strength based on game conditions? Like maybe sometime it wants it in the pops. It just seems like sometimes it just doesn't launch it as hard as other times.

Quoted from PocketHoleshot:

I'm having the same issue. Auto plunger worked about 90% and has been slowly dropping to almost 0 now.
I ordered the stronger coil and spring hoping for an improvement, but your report has me discouraged...
I Took slo-mo videos, shimmed the shooter lane ramp, couldn't get any improvement. Game and shooter lane are clean. Forks are lined up. I've tried every power setting. I'm pulling my hair out with this damn auto-launch!

I have over 3000 plays on my AIQ Premium since I did the coil and spring fix and it works nearly 100% of the time even during very long games.

Double check your alignment of both the shooter rod and the auto plunge "fingers". The fingers need to hit the ball evenly. You can set a ball in the shooter lane with power off or coin door open to see what they look like.

#11072 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

My problem is that it is super intermittent. Sometime it is too strong, some times too weak, sometimes it rattles. Ironically every time I try to film it, it seems to work perfectly. Today it has been working great so I don't know.
I would still recommend the stronger coil, as this has definitely been an improvement but mine just seem fickle.

Get a good look at the auto plunge finger assembly. how the ball sits in it, but also sometimes it can shift a little side to side which may cause the inconsistency. Some have added washers to where it mounts on the rod to take up slop, but you can also kind of bend the base further apart to take up the slop where it mounts.

It can definitely be frustrating when it's not launching properly.

#11079 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

What’s everyone’s top Strange disc RPM? I feel like this is a more fun value to universally compare vs. scores which can be more dependent on settings, etc.
I set a new one at 1471 tonight. All that talk of even playing field aside, I did recently install John’s precision pinball disc.

I've had John's Disc installed for over a year and surprisingly I set my RPM record on the factory Disc and haven't beat it yet... I've come close a few times, but my best is 1485 RPM.

IMG_0865 (resized).JPGIMG_0865 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#11096 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Anyone else having problems with ball’s getting stuck under the top jet bumper?
There is a huge unguarded gap between the jet bumper and the ball guide that is the inside edge of the orbit. The ball can wedge itself basically behind the jet bumper. The gap screams to be blocked by a post like the right side bumper has.
Anyone else seeing this pattern?[quoted image]

Yes, known issue early on. Some put a cabinet rubber bumper in there, I just bent the metal guide with my fingers, a little closer to the pop bumper.

#11100 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm thinking jet bumper sensitivity is part of it too... because we've had a pro and premium since the launch and this problem is only starting recently. I figure if the jet bumper is lazy, balls have a better shot at getting in there.
Considered adding something mounted to the plastic.. but I think that will take too much abuse. Sticky to the ball guide I worry about staying in place. The guide looked a bit thick for bending... but I can see the point. Did you bend the top or bottom half? The big V in the guide I assume makes the gap even bigger for the ball to get in there.

It's been a couple years, but I think I bent both. The lower is probably the most important of the two. A wrench would work too, if there's enough space to get in there with larger tools.

#11122 1 year ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I recently got an LE and joined the club. My game is running Rev 1.0 software, is this worth updating? The read me file looks like mostly insider connected updates but there’s other things also. Thanks

Quoted from gaubster:

I'm here to ask basically the same question. I'm running 1.01 and haven't bothered upgrading since I don't have Insider Connect. However, I seem to recall that there are rule upgrades that will make it worth updating to? Are there any downsides to upgrading from 1.01 to 1.06? Is it okay to skip ahead past previous updates?

I always update, but I also added insider Connected. You can read the changes for each update in the readme file:
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/AVENGERS_INFINITY_LE_1.06-README.txt

#11142 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

New premium owner here and have read most of this forum. I was interested in trying the mirror mod for the stepper subway. Looked underneath and boy does it look like a pain to pull out. Is there a trick to removing it or is it as involved as it seems. Looks like a bunch of connectors need to be disconnected and lots of screws removed to pull the mech, solenoid and trough out.

Like EaglePin mentioned, it's not too difficult to remove. Just make sure the labels are on the wires to insure correct re-connections and take a few pics as you go. Also make sure that none of the ball lock fingers are binding on the plastic subway as there is a little play between the mech and subway.

It's a good idea to take it apart to clean the subway from time to time as well. I cleaned mine at around 3000 game plays.

IMG_1300 (resized).JPGIMG_1300 (resized).JPGIMG_1301 (resized).JPGIMG_1301 (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (resized).JPG
#11144 1 year ago

I had 3 gems when I started Thanos Attacks and luckily ball save was still running as I had a quick drain and then beat Thanos for 114 Million and then had a good 435M Super Victory Laps Multiball!

#11147 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Same here. I lean into losing a gem. I just trap up and let him have the Reality Gem. I'd rather play that high scoring quest over again (including a portal-lock multiball and soul gem jackpot) than attempt Thanos Attacks. It's true Super Victory Laps might score more on its best day, but on average the risk-reward is clearly worse for attempting it.
That said, I did once go for Thanos Attacks just out of bloodymindedness when defending 5 gems (happened because I failed Soul Gem the first time and only got it late from Battle Royale), and got through all 24 shots to win it for a total of 340M.
If you just want to reach Battle Thanos, let him have the Soul Gem instead, since you can win that back in BOMB or Battle Royale without playing an extra quest.

Losing Reality gem is a solid strategy, I just have a hard time bringing myself to intentionally lose a gem.

Oh yeah, I've had games where I didn't get to Thanos Attacks until I had 5 or 6 gems... not fun and difficult, that's for sure! I'll have to see what my best Thanos Attacks score is.

Edit: 238M is my best Thanos Attacks score.

#11151 1 year ago

I was curious since I hadn't checked in a while.

I've had AIQ for just over 2 years... almost all games on it have been played by me. At most 50 - 100 by others. I do occasionally start a game over after a bad Ball 1.

Admittedly I have slowed way down on number of games I play on AIQ lately since once I "Got Good" at it, the game times are quite long. Still love the game though!

IMG_3520 (resized).JPGIMG_3520 (resized).JPGIMG_3522 (resized).JPGIMG_3522 (resized).JPG
#11154 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

[quoted image]
Here's how. The setup for this is Reality Gem on the left orbit with Hulk leveled up, Black Panther at level 2 (easy way is to have the Power Gem on him), and the Soul Gem on the Captain Marvel ramp with the Binary multiplier at 5x. In the Space Gem quest, for each of the three parry shots, do a combo of Widow-Gauntlet-Hawkeye (can use level-1 Mind Gem for the Hawkeye hit) to light the attack at 4x on the left orbit. Multipliers for portal locks (x3) and the Reality Gem (up to x4 though I had it at x3 here) apply also. This all multiplies the base values for the attack shots of 1M/2M/3M to as high as 48M/96M/144M.
Then the final blow is lit which scores 40% of the quest value so far at Widow or 60% at Panther. Now drain out of the multiball intentionally, and hit Change Gems to move the Reality Gem to Black Panther for x4 scoring, while still in the middle of the quest. Now that final blow scores 240% of the quest value (I got 611M for this shot here.) Then collect the Soul Gem Jackpot on the Captain Marvel ramp for 250% of *that*.
There you go awesome1 if you need a challenge

Well done @vikingerik! Very impressive rules knowledge and in-game execution!

Intentionally draining down to 1 ball (and losing out on victory laps) and then having to get change gems and pull off two more shots to collect everything you worked so hard to setup must have been nerve wracking and then exhilarating when you pulled it off!

Wish we weren't on opposite sides of the country as I would love to play some games with you!

1 week later
#11185 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Some observations after 10 months of AIQ premium ownership.
I did not play this game for almost 3 months and did a temporary swap with a pinball buddy.
I had chronic opto issues on the black panther orbit shot and the Dr. Strange disc had problems completely lowering. My buddy and I worked on these quite a bit. Like a lot.
Capt. Marvel ramp was like high school- too many rejections- I tried all kinds of flipper angles and settings including the Capt Marvel mod.
So I got my game back and put some precision flippers on it (not the upper one though). Now i can backhand Capt. Marvel.
Black panther opto and Dr. Strange all working. Now I can confidently know that if I line up and shoot correctly the shot will work-what a concept!
So now…I am exploring the great code and it feels like a new game. Yeah the animations aren’t awesome, but they definitely grow on you. This game is fun and there is so much more for me to discover.

I'm a believer in the Precision flippers as I have a standard set on Godzilla and a set of Halos on Deadpool. In both cases I turned down the flipper power so they more closely mimic the stock flipper power. I also run DIY flipper coil fans.

I don't have Precision flippers on AIQ (do have flipper coil fans), but I do have a DIY Lexan fix on Captain Marvel ramp and I generally don't have problems with that shot.

AIQ does play better keeping it waxed, so I can see more powerful flippers helping you make shots.

I don't understand how the Precision flippers could impact your Black Panther opto or the functionality of the Dr. Strange disc though.

It's all about having fun, so glad you are able to enjoy and explore the depth of AIQ!

#11189 1 year ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

I didn't know it was possible by anyone to backhand the Capitan Marvel ramp !

Yeah, even with a ton of power, I would think the angle is all wrong to pull this off.
Let's see a video of it! GranpaDave

I've been able to do it a few times myself, but not from a cradle or from a ball rolling down the flipper... essentially a ball coming towards the right flipper from the right and you get a solid backhand shot on it at just the right angle. More luck than anything I would say.

#11196 1 year ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

I don’t have precision flippers, but I do backhand the Thor shot during Soul Gem. You just cradle, release for a second, and then jam it. So, it is possible, but would def need fresh wax

Thor for sure, that's a repeatable backhand shot from a cradle. I don't have Precision flippers on AIQ either and use that shot quite a bit.

#11198 1 year ago

Thor is an obvious backhand. We're talking about backhanding the Capt. Marvel ramp with the precision flipper kit installed.

I know - read my previous responses above.

#11218 1 year ago
Quoted from cam24175:

I ordered the precision flipper shaft bushings and did not order the metal flippers so my only modification was the shaft bushing. Before installing I tried wiggling the stock shaft in the stock plastic bushing. Lot of room to wiggle back and forth (slop). Then i slid the stock flipper shaft into the new metal bushing, big difference in slop, almost non existent. Put it all back together and immediately noticed it to be more precise and predictable than stock during play. Just seemed more solid, precise, and more powerful without the slop. I was even able to back down the flipper power a bit, maybe they will stay a little cooler that way.
I made a mistake on the initial order and didn't realize it until they came. I emailed Precision Pinball with the problem. Later that day I received a response from a fellow named John Simone. I explained my mistake to him, and unlike some distributors, he bent over backwards to make sure I was taken care of and rushed the part to me. I was ecstatic at the response and caring service I received from them. If you decide to purchase any of their products you will not be disappointed at the quality and the service from this top notch company and their staff. Kudos to them for caring !!
PS I don't know these people personally and they don't owe me anything. I just wanted to express my experience with them. Thanks

All of my experiences and interactions with John, ( 1956PINHEAD ) the owner of Precision Pinball Products, have been extremely positive. He seems like a truly nice guy with a passion for helping the pinball community!

#11235 1 year ago
Quoted from John1210:

the shot was never designed to be backhandable Clean the ramp, clean the pf and have relatively fresh balls and there shouldn't be a problem with a clean hit from the left as per design of the shot geometry. My point being if you can do it on the right flipper from this bogus precision flipper install then that's clearly cheating the game. You may as well block the outlanes and drill in a centre post. There's manipulating the game to make it more user friendly and enjoyable eg pdi, flipper rubbers, pitch etc then there's flat out glass off cheating. These crappy precision flipper kits are the latter.

Quoted from GranpaDave:

The Capt Marvel was not designed to be backhanded-most likely true. How about the Thor shot? Most of us would say yes- I had to play multiple other AIQ games to discover this and adjust my right flipper to make this happen- guess what? The game is more fun. Backhanding from the right is really a very low percentage circus trick, but the fact it can happen is very cool. I could never make the right backhand shot, but I noticed that I could on other AIQ games (only from a bounce pass from the left). Don’t see how this is cheating.
Only making the Capt Marvel shot on the fly from the left while holding my breath, clenching my teeth, swearing appropriately, and not farting- NOT fun. I tried all fixes and was about to kick the game to the market. I played several other AIQs and this shot was definitely achievable and very cool- not my game. So, with reluctance I decided to “cheat” with precision flippers. Now I can make the shot and the game is…fun!
I like to think I am a purist, never changing factory settings, using the original (crappy) balls, and rubbers. Well that is ignorance on my part. I add Pinstadiums to almost all of my games, have prescription (ok, 2.0 readers) pinball glasses, and usually set my games to “factory”. I replace the rubbers and balls. Yes, I do play in leagues and an occasional tournament. Recently I have tightened my tilt bobs and are setting my machines to competition. Still keeping EBs. I will see how that goes…
I recently played a GZ pro at the Pincinnati tournament which had precision flippers on it. This made the game much harder-difficult to trap and control the ball. This setup was intentional and very effective.
In my experience, precision flippers are another modification that can make pinball more fun. Like any other mod they are not for everyone, but most folks that have actually tried them give them a positive review.
To me the key in pinball is to set up your game to be fun- not too hard and not too easy. We would all like to play like Karl D and RayDay, but (sadly?) we do not. I also suffer from too many birthdays and I will never have the reaction time and skill set like many of you. I have played games set up way to easy (without precision flippers) as well as games set up too hard and neither were fun.
So go try out these flippers- you may feel that these are crappy and cheating or you might feel differently. For now, I am enjoying my second honeymoon with AIQ premium.

I don't have them on AIQ, but I have a lot of time on the regular Precision Flippers on Godzilla and a little less time on the Halos on Deadpool. The Precision Flips are powerful, but you can change the flipper power on modern pins. I turned my flipper power down to make the strength closer to stock. On Godzilla, I couldn't make the right ramp from the upper flipper with stock flippers (maybe every rare once in a while, but I stopped intentionally going for it) and I tried to duplicate that with the Precision Flippers.

My reasoning was that I didn't want to create "unrealistic" play that couldn't be duplicated with regular flippers.

With that said, I actually don't find it easier to do Drop or Live catches, etc with the Precision Flips. Maybe a little harder, especially with the solids. The timing is a little different than regular flippers, that's for sure, but I can now jump back and forth on my games with Precision Flips and the ones with regular flippers without really any more adjustment than is normal between pins. You adjust accordingly depending on each games flippers and what you can do with them, just like jumping between any two pins - some have weak flippers, etc.

They don't feel like "cheating" to me, just different. Personally I think they look pretty cool! Whatever increases the enjoyment of the game for the owners, I'm in favor of. Some players like loose or no tilts or 5 balls, etc. I try to keep everything basically at factory settings with moderately tight tilts, but in reality we can only compare our own improvements on the same game and loosely compare to each other since we aren't all playing the same machine. I do like Insider connected as well.

#11238 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

For anyone having problems with Captain Marvel ramp rejects, check this:
[quoted image]
Look at those prongs at the bottom end of the wireform on the right side of the entrance. Make sure these are pressing against the metal wall to their left (the right wall of the entrance), and not floating out in space as in this example pic here. If they are not flush and pressing against the metal wall, the wireform will flex outwards and absorb momentum from an incoming ball instead of guiding it up over the top.
When I first got my AIQ, I had a terrible make rate from a catch on the left flipper, about 25%. I unmounted the entire wireform and bent those ends inward with pliers, and that made a tremendous improvement up to about 80%, a far bigger swing than anything minor like waxing or a barrier on the left side.

Good reminder about this... I did it so long ago I almost forgot! In my case, the "Lexan Fix" and also getting the "stress" out of the loop by adjusting the mount to the front left of the ramp had the most improvement.

1 week later
#11272 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

My AIQ noticeably gets dirtier way faster than my Star Wars. I think the worst of it comes from harsh impacts to the upper flipper rubber from below, where there's no post protecting it like on the other games. There's noticeably worn spots on that rubber after only about 5-10 hours of gameplay.

I ended up going with a Superband for the upper flipper rubber and it has now lasted thousands of games.

1 week later
#11310 1 year ago
Quoted from nstern2:

That is really great looking. Can these custom toppers enable the extra mode that comes with the official topper?

No, but if you have Insider Connected and the latest code, the extra mode is available.

There is some discussion of this in the comments not too far back in this thread.

#11315 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

You actually can make progression anyway, if the portal can still physically open. Get two portal locks by shooting combos and lock them. If you then light another portal lock, it shortcuts past spelling Strange and will open the portal to start the quest.
Granted, the rest of the game won't be much fun without the disc (you can't win the Mind or Reality gem quests, and progressing towards Iron Man MB is a pain if the disc can't cycle the outlane lights), but playing most of it is still possible.

This dude vikingerik knows the nuances of AIQ even more in depth than I do - which is saying something... maybe even more than Elwin!

#11317 1 year ago
Quoted from shaub:

So I've found myself playing AIQ very little the last few months and, upon further reflection, I think the main issue is that a "good" game on it seems to take very long and I'm not ready for that kind of commitment. If going for progression through the game and trying to get to Battle Thanos, extra balls seems to present themselves at exactly the right time to keep the good times going, which, to perfectly honest, is a job well done on the programming side. Anyways, I thought about the issue and decided to turn off extra balls and see if I can get to Battle Thanos on a legit 3-ball game with no extra balls. It's been a challenge so far but it feels within reach and my games are, obviously, shorter without extra balls so I've been playing it a lot more often.
Damn is it a fun game, though it (like any game) could use some extra polish, hopefully Elwin and team have a chance and the interest to maybe take a look at a few things, especially because Elwin mentioned that he had a longer than expected break between cornerstones.

I'm basically in this exact same position! I rarely play AIQ anymore because I've essentially "accomplished everything" many times and good games are 60 - 90+ minutes long.

I still love the game, but I've been playing my other games almost exclusively, especially Godzilla since there is still more for me to experience in it.

I do have long layoffs from playing a pin or two in my collection from time to time, but still enjoy playing all of them. For my first year of AIQ ownership - I played it almost exclusively and have put ~3800 plays on it now after 2+ years of ownership.

I'll admit that the thought of possibly trading AIQ for something else has crossed my mind. Maybe Stranger Things Premium? Maybe something else of similar value since I am at my space limitations? It would be a hard choice, but the thought of a new challenge is appealing.

I may give your idea a try and see if it sparks the desire again... It's similar to what me and my adult son had to do on my Robotron arcade game some years ago. We couldn't play two player games anymore because we were both too good and it would take hours for a single game, so we had to set it to max level 10 difficulty and now it's an immense struggle to get to 1 million, which takes about 15 minutes.

#11319 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I would think you would tire of STh, as you are a better player than I & at just over 200 plays, I wouldn’t mind seeing it get traded out for something with more going on. But at least it should be pretty easy to sell if you give it a try.
STh I’d say my average games are longer than AIQ. AIQ also takes more mental concentration.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I don't have much time at all on one yet... never know how you will connect or not with a machine.

I am out of room so if I want a new to me game, one has to go. I already have one in the garage and one at work. Both I have had for 20+ years!

If/when it comes down to it, I would have a hard time letting AIQ go, but it would bring good trade value.

1 week later
#11352 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m thinking about joining the club with a pro or premium is the premium worth the upgrade what’s the difference ?
Also is this game beginner friendly or hard at all ?
Also not sure if we are allowed to talk prices but what would be a ballpark good price for a premium with taxes/delivery/setup included
Thanks guys

Quoted from solid_snake:

I'd just go with the Pro on this one. I have a Premium and the Captain Marvel ramp is awesome but that's really the only thing missing on the Pro, and you at least get an additional spinner on the Pro as well. The rising disc and viewable portal sound cool on paper but it really isn't that satisfying when you're playing. Just save yourself a few thousand and get a nice Pro.

The decision all comes down to your finances and personal preference.

Personally - I think the Captain Marvel Loop shot on the Premium is very satisfying and still my favorite single shot in pinball!

AIQ tends to be difficult for most beginners and even many experienced players are confused by the rules. You can still play the game without knowing all the ins and outs of the rules, but the depth of the rules is great for a home environment in my opinion.

The game has great flow and once you learn the rules, and get "good" at the game, the game times can be on the long side.

#11370 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new premium just wanted to be worried it won’t be too hard and frustrating; I don’t mind a hard game or challenging but when starts to get annoying …..
I think Godzilla is hard but I’m never upset how does this compare

I agree with NoSkills , vikingerik and blizz81 on their assessment of AIQ. To me, Godzilla is a harder machine to "complete", though I do have many more games played on AIQ currently.

AIQ Premium can be extremely flowy with combo after combo of multiple different shots. The rules can get complicated, but you don't have to go fully down that rabbit hole if you don't want to. I don't think AIQ is any more frustrating than most other games, especially if you are at least a moderate player with some nudging skills.

#11390 1 year ago

One thing I like about modern games is that they keep all of the high scores for the various modes!

My current Soul Gem bests are:

76 Flips left regular mode - no Mind gems used.
27 Flips left Hard Mode
267,750,000 Soul Gem Champion
830,762,620 Soul Gem Jackpot Champion

IMG_3636 (resized).JPGIMG_3636 (resized).JPGIMG_3637 (resized).JPGIMG_3637 (resized).JPGIMG_3642 (resized).JPGIMG_3642 (resized).JPG
#11398 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Here's a challenge for you. Soul Gem in 2 flips!

Karl is obviously an incredible player and setting up the gems and then pulling that off is very impressive!

The reward isn't that great for the effort in my opinion, so I do generally try to have the Mind gem when going into Soul gem and usually play on Hard setting, but sometimes, it just doesn't work out that way and I just try to complete it...

Here's 76 Flips remaining with using No Mind gems... always good to have a little luck, but also making multiple shots!

#11427 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Question about to get a new premium from my distributor and noticed the captive balls were really dirty and pitted I can replace with new balls easily correct?
They aren’t special balls or anything
I think it’s called a Thor captive ball?

Yes, you can replace the captive ball (behind the Thor stationary ball that has a bolt in it - you can replace that as well, but need same style) with another pinball.

#11433 1 year ago
Quoted from Ryancaseystudio:

Who here has Insider Connected on their home AIQ? Would you recommend it? I mostly play on my home machines and don't play a lot on location. I love the idea of getting access to the Gem Mania mode without the Topper, but not sure what else it really adds. Any insight would be appreciated. For context, I'm between getting PinStadiums on it or IC.

I added IC to my early release AIQ... I like the data tracking, but Gem Mania in my opinion is pretty weak and I wouldn't get IC just for it.

#11436 1 year ago

My search skills are failing me. I'm having an issue with the subway. One ball goes all the way through without issue, but if two balls are in the subway it has to ball search twice to clear them out. I thought I'd read someone having this issue a long time ago but can't find it.

The first thing to check (can be done from topside by looking into subway) is to see if the last "finger" (closest to Ant Man) is sitting lower than the other two. This allows the ball to move past the opto and the game can't see it., so it causes problems like you are mentioning. There are fixes for this or new subway mechanism is needed.

IMG_1303 (resized).JPGIMG_1303 (resized).JPG

#11447 1 year ago

Exactly! I did similar... the slop in the mechanism is the problem. Players have come up with a few different fixes and the one I did has eliminated the problem for over 1000+ plays!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/161#post-6483577

#11498 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Does anyone recommend a better tool for loosening that 5/32 Allen for the flipper adjustment that with just a regular Allen key ?
It’s so tight and there are wires everywhere I don’t know how they expect you to safely re-tighten with being careful
I did it as recommended with the playfield down ;
Ok good to know the black widow is hard from left flipper that’s good feedback;
Couple more newbie questions :
1) When I loosened that Allen key
the flipper lost all spring and I was able to move it all over the place not sure what I did to get it back In place with the tension it was tricky ;
can anyone explain in better detail what exactly happens when you loosen that Allen nut?
Did I loosen it too much is that why the flipper lost all spring tension and could be moved all around ?
Maybe next time barely crack it loose then make the minor adjustments then retighten
Thank you again I don’t know how you guys learned all this I’m 90 days into the hobby and the learning curve is steeeeep

The flipper could be moved all around, because it was no longer attached at the shaft once you loosen the allen bolt. You can also get allen bit set for use on a ratchet wrench. These won't fit in all cases though... You REALLY have to tighten the bolt hard because the clamp design squeezes the shaft.

One new product out that solves all of this is the Precision Flippers, bushings and clamps. The design allows for easier change out and can adjust the flipper angle from the topside. Plus they look cool and hit harder than standard flippers (can turn down power setting in modern pins). I have them in a couple games currently and though the feeling is a little different, it takes a little adjustment from a player perspective, I like them! Plus, the owner John 1956PINHEAD , is a great guy to work with.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1341-precision-pinball-prod

#11508 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Thank you so much that does help !! My distributor thinks I’m nuts when I mentioned coil stops he says stern games for thousands of plays with theirs lol
This looks easier then adjusting the flippers I might be able to do it!
Still ordering them

My experience with (3) NIB Sterns is that the factory coil stops have failed or began to fail anywhere from 200-500 games played. After replacing coil stops and sleeves, I have several thousand games on each machine and only replaced the replacement coil stops and sleeves when i did a full flipper rebuild at 5500 games played.

#11539 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

(Fun conspiracy theory: Elwin knew the game had problems with flippers overheating, so that's why the Soul Gem mode is limited flips, to make you give them some time to cool down!)

Quoted from Spiderpin:

It all makes sense now!

I hadn't heard that one before, but yes... it does make sense!

AIQ has the worst flipper fade I've experienced on any of my games, well, until I added flipper coil fans!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-pinball-flipper-coil-fans

#11552 1 year ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

This is my first machine so I am still learning the ropes of what things are supposed to look like and feel like. I think I am doing pretty good as far as cleaning and maintaining my machine is concerned but from day one I thought that my plunger felt a little weak. It is from the last June run I believe of the machine and if I use the plunger the ball will not make it up the ramp but will auto plunge that far about 33% of the time and make it to the right flipper. Is this normal for this machine or do I need to get a newer/stronger plunger for it to make the orbit?

Check out the "Key Posts" near the top of each page.

Here's my best fix for the problem you describe after making sure the shooter rod tip is centered on the ball:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/145#post-6332227

#11577 1 year ago
Quoted from butterz:

I recently traded my Jersey Jack Guns and Roses for an Avengers premium. The guy delivered and helped me set up. This game is really something special. The combo shots all flow great. It's like Jurassic Park on steroids. The strategy with the gems is really interesting. It's just hard enough I keep playing it, I'm averaging getting five gems a game now. Can someone explain why this is not rated higher? Perhaps some people find it too hard?

Quoted from vikingerik:

Yeah, people think it's too hard. It's not, but people think it is. Mostly the complaints come around what happens when you lose a gem, since the ways to get one back aren't obvious and you can't resume a mission or easily try it again.
Also the sound and callouts package is kinda flat. The Avengers have all the enthusiasm of a retail worker reporting for their seven am shift. This carries over into perceptions of the game as well. There are no big yelly exuberant moments, and it makes you feel terrible when you lose a gem. It feels like a grind, even though the structure is the same as any other modern game.

Quoted from Maniac227:

I think the main issue with it not being higher rated is that a lot of people find the rules too confusing for them and the callouts and assets aren't the best.
I think the flow is second to none but do wish the code was deeper. I feel like this game didn't get the same treatment on code that Jurassic Park or Godzilla received.

The shots and flow are top notch and I think the code is quite deep, but agree that it doesn't have the finish that a game like Godzilla has and certainly not the audio/video package. Covid lockdowns during development and the Stern team not being together contributed to that I think.

AIQ definitely has the reputation for being too hard to figure out the rules, but in a home setting, it's not hard to figure the game out if you want to put the time into it.

#11581 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I cannot seem to hit the Hawkeye loops with the upper flipper for the life of me; forgetting about getting all the way up the ramp I can’t even get it close ;
What angle of the upper flipper do I hit to get that Hawkeye shot? Gotta be muscle memory ?
Every attempt I make goes up to gauntlet ramp….
Also the auto plunge doesn’t go to the right flipper ;
power is set to max and balls centered.
It’s maybe makes it around 7/10 times is this normal ?
Thanks guys

If you keep going up the gauntlet ramp - Wait just a fraction longer to make the Hawkeye shot. It did take me a bit of practicing to get that shot down. I purposely would just concentrate on that shot for multiple games since it can be a valuable shot.

Early on I would do some flip timing to get ready as seen here:

For the autoplunge - here is what I did:

#11586 1 year ago
Quoted from localVariable:

Hey everyone, I just picked up a AIQ premium on Tuesday and am really enjoying the flow and shots, while the kids love the theme.
The only real issue I've experienced is occasionally (twice in ~20 games) is that balls that don't quite have enough power to make it up the turn in the Captain Marvel ramp fall off and get wedged between the other wireform below. Has anyone thought through a good fix to prevent this, or is this just bad luck on my part?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The ball shouldn't be able to fall out of the top of the Captain Marvel wireform and it should also fit between the two wireforms where yours is getting trapped. You can add washers to the mount on the right side of your picture to raise the crossing wireform, or just slightly bend either or both as needed.

#11607 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

What and where is sanctum target?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11619 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Look where my ball got stuck it wasn’t technically stuck it still rolled but happened to sit in that pocket how is that even possible
[quoted image]

I would recommend you raise the rear levelers so playfield is between 6.5 and 7.0 degrees and it should help keep that from happening.

#11635 1 year ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Happens on mine infrequently, but ideally you want to very gently plunge so that the ball falls down backwards around the mini-loop for a secret skill shot so you can get a portal lock right out of the gate for your first mode.

That's a decent strategy, but I find it more repeatable and lucrative to do a full plunge and go for the middle target skill shot. Easy to see what is required to complete the row(s) you want for the appropriate awards and to time which square you want... sometimes a missed shot will ricochet into the mini-loop for that skill shot award.

Quoted from BrokenChair:

Is it normal for my ball to not make it all the way around the loop to right flipper when it auto plunges or I do a full plunge? ;
About 5-10% of the time it doesn’t make it up the black panther ramp and ends up being a flank attack instead of reaching right flipper;
Eject strength is already maxed ball seems centered enough;
It rarely happens so maybe just normal??

I think this has already been answered a few times, at least a couple by me.

#11637 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Appreciate it if you don’t mind linking the post;
I tried searching and couldn’t find … it’s really been bugging me .
Thank you very much .

Sure thing, happy to help!

Check out the "Key Posts" near the top of each page, the link below is one of them.

Here's my best fix for not getting a full manual or auto plunge on AIQ, but first make sure the shooter rod tip is centered on the ball and both auto-plunge fingers are hitting the ball at the same time:

#11660 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Balls consistently getting stuck under the gauntlet ; sure this has to have happened with someone else couldn’t find anything ..
Any ideas for a fix ?
[quoted image]

Yeah... I may have gotten a little carried away on my fix, but never have had balls trapped under or behind the gauntlet again!

IMG_1061 (resized).JPGIMG_1061 (resized).JPG
#11663 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Wow that’s impressive did you make that yourself ?
I went ahead and ordered those clear bumpers from Amazon that someone linked to wedge underneath there

Thanks! Yeah, I added some aluminum standoffs where screws already were, so no modifying the plastic necessary to add the additional rubber rings.

Originally, I put a clear lexan angle across the space under the gauntlet, but then got a few balls trapped behind it...

#11676 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Yep I got and installed the new coil stops and sleeves and it helped a lot with my black widow issue; thank you for the input this helps me greatly ;
Pretty sure ive narrowed it down to a pitch issue…
;
It’s taken me forever to dial this game in and it’s my favorite pin I own ;
It’s way better than my Godzilla ;
But yeah isn’t that funny AIQ it’s a few inches higher than GZ lol
Thank you for the patience and explaining

My AIQ and GZ are side by side and at basically identical heights. Like the others have said I usually put the front levelers all the way in (short as possible) maybe a turn out to allow for minor adjustments. The rear levelers are about 3/4 of the way out (almost as long as possible).
Also as others have mentioned, I find AIQ to benefit from waxing because almost every shot on AIQ is far away from the flippers. GZ became “too fast” when I waxed it.

#11694 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Here is where I put the pitch attached are pictures with the levels at different places, but I think this would work best for me when I play tested… the flipper say 6.2-6.3 I lowered it from 6.5 because it felt the backside was steep like 7.3ish
So I settled with my main measurement in the center of the play field right by hulk and set that to 6.6.
Also, attached is a picture of the auto plunge plunger the metal brackets do they look aligned with the ball? Stern had my bend the brackets in didn’t really effect performance so I’ll report back when I get the newer auto launch coil installed…
Happy Sunday everyone
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

In your picture of the auto plunger, everything looks good, but there should be a small gap between the autoplunger "fingers" and the tip of the manual shooter rod rubber. If the rubber wont go on any further, you may want to add a washer on the outside of the shooter rod assembly between the small external spring and shooter rod housing when you upgrade to the red spring. See how it all fits together first as the new spring may put the shooter rod in a slightly different position. If you need to move the rod in more at that point, the shims go on the inside of the cabinet between big spring and assembly.

#11699 1 year ago

Hadn't played AIQ in a bit and surprised myself with a new best for Thor Multiball!

IMG_3787 (resized).JPGIMG_3787 (resized).JPG

#11708 1 year ago

it's the bottom pop bumper plastic that covers the sanctum target. The protrusion is attached with only 3 tiny connection points making it prone to fail
[quoted image]

A chunk broke off of mine quite some time ago and I was going to fix or replace, but have just left it that way as it doesn't seem to affect gameplay and I don't notice it at all.

IMG_3788 (resized).JPGIMG_3788 (resized).JPG
#11745 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

First of all; I’m disable; thanks for your patience.
You guys rock saved me lots of time here.
———————————————-
Gotcha il take them to ace.
————————————————
one of the screws on top of the dr strange-spinning wheel disk just spins forever ;
might have to use my powerful magnet to get it out? ; loosening doesn’t seem to make difference ;
Tightening or loosening it just makes it spin forever… very odd
Super loose but won’t actually come out
I imagine those screws are tiny and super shallow and just hold the top part of the wheel.

On the disk screw, If you can't tighten or loosen, most likely the entire screw and nut are spinning together. You will have to secure the nut while you loosen or tighten the screw.

#11756 1 year ago

Forgot to post in this group the other day... anyone on the fence about trying the PoMC custom AIQ comic code, I tried it and really like it!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-infinity-quest-custom-comic-code-106#post-7480050

Quoted from awesome1:

Thank you and nice job on the AIQ code PoMC ! Very well done!
First, before making the change, I wrote down notes of any default settings I had changed previously like reducing trough eject power, sound settings for aftermarket speakers, never reset high scores, etc... I kept the notes with the factory SD card and put in the coin box in a Ziploc bag.
I used Win32DiskImager to write to the SD card and startup was like turning on a NIB game for the first time including Wi-Fi setup. After setup I did have to turn the game off and back on for Insider Connected to recognize my QR code or Home Team, but then it worked fine which I think may be normal first time experience.
I haven't been playing AIQ as much lately and have over 3800 games played on my Premium and have "finished the game" many times. The things this custom code addresses were the weaknesses of AIQ and it was true to the comic theme, so I was looking forward to trying it out to "freshen up" the gameplay experience.
I only put one game on it, but it was one of my better games at 5.6 Billion! I beat Thanos Attacks with 1B Super Victory Laps and got to Battle Thanos with all 6 gems. The only things I missed out on were that I had both Computer Frenzy Multiball and Trophy Mania ready when I drained my final ball. Getting that deep into the game and no problems with the code at all and I probably didn't notice every change, but it was all very well done and the music was much more upbeat, which I enjoyed and welcomed.
I am looking forward to playing more AIQ again to keep noticing the changes and how they improve gameplay.
After playing, I can confirm that Insider Connected was working as expected. IC still showed all of my previous game stats for AIQ, but under my actual machine, the scores had been reset, which I expected since they are saved on the removed SD card. (pic included).[quoted image]

AIQ PoMC Comic Code 2023-03-19 awesome1 first game play (resized).pngAIQ PoMC Comic Code 2023-03-19 awesome1 first game play (resized).png
#11775 1 year ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

Twice this week, after completing the Battle Royale, normal flipper pause, drain, then animation: the game went into “ball find” and ended the turn. Super annoying. Not sure if bug or unfortunate situation. Completed BR on Hulk too…(early Wasp and good use of space/mind gem to get multiple level 2 booms)

Quoted from vikingerik:

Bug. Ending Battle Royale should never end your ball. I've seen this several times too and haven't figured out what causes it. I think it's a timing bug based on exactly when the ball hits the trough. If I'm paying attention to react quick enough, what I do is open the coin door quickly (I keep the keys in the lock) and manually push the trough eject to put a ball in the shooter lane.

I've run into this phenomenon a few times as well. I usually didn't realize what was happening in time to try the coin door trick. Hopefully I'll think of that next time!

I've actually had the reverse happen on earlier code - after finishing the mini game version of Battle Royale, the game kept playing. I reported it as a bug and it was fixed in the next update.

Seems like there is still a bug in there somewhere with the mode.

#11782 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Long post SUMMARY: Black widow rejects..
I was watching Karl play avengers and I was astonished how easy he is hitting the black widow ramp from either flipper;
Unless I have the ball cradled I have zero chance in making it ; If the ball is rolling down the inlane and I go for black widow it goes half way up the ramp and rejects;
Even when I cradle it and shoot the ball barely has enough power to get up there;
I’ve cleaned game thoroughly
Replaced coil stops
Checked flippers and angles
I’ve done almost everything as I had this issue before ;
Keep in mind I’m new ;
I think the issue is my game pitch is too high, because by the captain Marvel ramp, and in the middle, it said 7.0 but at the flippers 6.3;(I’ve since lowered the back two pegs)
I’m thinking of it’s readjusting and lowering the back two levels so around the middle and top of the playfield I’ll get 6.5 but at the bottom it will read 6.0ish;
Does this make sense or can anyone chime in; the black widow shot is giving me hell when it should be a gimme every time….
Any ideas welcome I feel like after watching others play the game something is definitely wrong with my game or setup!
Many thanks for the suggestion friends
The Bubble in the game is little help it’s always in the middle …
Attached are pics of different readings
6.2 at flipper 6.8 middle 6.5 near black widow ramp
Why is it so variable ? Maybe the level I have is super sensitive or something; I thought the pitch should be constant on a slope ?
Kinda out of ideas it’s a super bummer because that shot set up all my combos and can barley hit it 15% of the time same percentage in marvel ramp; I’m getting to the point where I’m going to Have to call a tech for $150 an hour but what would he do that I haven’t..
Any ideas or thoughts welcome
Many thanks I’m hoping I can get this fixed
With your help !
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'm at 6.8° ~ 7.0° and have no issues making any shots from a roll. In my case waxing does help on AIQ. I very rarely will get a reject from Black Widow ramp like Vikingerik mentions, usually just after waxing when ball speed is the fastest. You could potentially heat that plastic with a hair dryer and flex it upward a little.

If your flippers are underpowered and you have replaced coil stops and the actual mechs look fine, you can verify in the settings that the power is turned all the way up and then check the voltages going to the coils are correct. Otherwise, you could go to stronger coils or the aluminum Precision Flippers are definitely stronger than stock. I don't have them on AIQ though.

Here's my latest AIQ video (I have others as well), just to show you some game play on my AIQ.

#11785 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Wow, thank you so much for the response in video. Your game is totally playing different than mine. I can’t believe how fast it shoots up your Ramps.. I’m genuinely upset .
Let me ask your expertise on some thing I upgraded to the stronger coil(700 one) from my auto launcher and have the setting on Max and still 70% of the balls are only making it to the left flipper still getting rejects there so maybe it is related to my flipper power I don’t know…
Flipper power is maxed all the way around auto Eject power is max all the way around. I check for stupid things. Everything else seems to be in order.
Play field has just been cleaned and wipe down and is spotless and fast…
Thank you for input

On the auto launch power, I actually have mine turned down a bit once I went to the stronger coil. So maybe try reducing there to see if it gets more consistent.

On AIQ (I don't use it on all my games, but in my case it helps on AIQ) I use this Turtle Wax 53477 Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Wax, Graphene Spray Wax. Now some "purists" will scream only use Carnauba wax, but I've tried many waxes through the years and this stuff is great in my opinion and super easy to use and cleans up with no residue. I spray onto a microfiber towel to apply to the playfield and then use another microfiber towel to wipe and buff off.

Not too expensive, but not super cheap, but could always be used on a car (works great there too! ), etc if you don't like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P53V7KN/

#11788 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Thank you !
Yeah, I actually have been following your post religiously and set the power originally to 230 but we’re still getting rejects that’s why I upped it to the max;
I will give that wax a try, but I am a bit leery of waxing on a machine; I currently use the Marco specialties, complete appliance cleaner and polish and it does a great job and makes the playfield , silky smooth and cleans ;
My distributor and Tech both said do not use wax ; I honestly don’t know enough about it but I don’t think that will completely solve this issue I’m having, although it may help.
Plan Z once I’m done with all the options and opinions of the great people here is to switch out node board 8 with Godzilla, and see if it still shoots the same…

In the end it is your machine, so definitely only do what you are comfortable with. If you don't want to wax, I understand and agree it's not needed on most modern machines.

If you have another Node board to try and Stern recommended that, it's a fairly quick and easy thing to try and shouldn't risk damaging the Node board.

1 week later
#11797 1 year ago

That was a fun one!

My best Super Victory Laps Wizard mode yet!

IMG_3907 (resized).JPGIMG_3907 (resized).JPG
#11799 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Hot damn. Was that with Reality Gem on Captain Marvel at 10x? I've gotten some wild laps that way, upwards of 360m for one shot, though never a ton of times in one play.

Thanks! Yeah, I had Captain Marvel with Reality Gem at 10X and got Super victory laps single jackpots of 497 million, 498 Million and 724 million!

Too bad I wasn’t having a “great” game otherwise, I got to Battle Thanos with only 5 gems and didn’t do great on Trophy Mania or computer frenzy and ended up at 5.8B.

#11800 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Thanks! Yeah, I had Captain Marvel with Reality Gem at 10X and got Super victory laps single jackpots of 497 million, 498 Million and 724 million!
Too bad I wasn’t having a “great” game otherwise, I got to Battle Thanos with only 5 gems and didn’t do great on Trophy Mania or computer frenzy and ended up at 5.8B.

Here's a quick "shorts" video I made showing the three big jackpots...

#11804 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Oh right, you've got that lightweight disc mod - a standard disc isnt going to get like thirty revolutions on a medium strength hit. I also see it sagging downwards when not being hit, which puts it right in front of the upper flipper's sweet spot to whack again. Just wanted to point that out - not trying to criticize or take away from the score, but it is true that you won't see this behavior on an unmodded game.

Interestingly my highest RPM record was achieved with the stock plastic disc...

#11807 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

We had this discussion upthread a few months ago. I'm pretty sure any of the crazy RPM numbers (anything over 1000) didn't really happen physically but was an artifact of phantom switch readings. 1000 RPM is over 16 revolutions per second, and even the modded disc isn't going THAT fast.

Quoted from Eightball88:

My experience is a counter example. The RPM record went from less than 1000 to just under 1500 now. I routinely get close to 1000 on direct hits at just the right angle, or fluky double hits during mb.
BTW, I was getting readings of 400 to 450 (not sure what the units are) at all points around the circle when I calibrated the sensor after installing the disc and bearing. I also got it as flush and level as it can be (more than it ever was). For now I believe my ~1500 rpms but I’ll be on the lookout to see if I can reproduce it.

I'm not sure that it is phantom hits. Possibly Stern is using a multiplier to make the RPM number more impressive and I don't know how long of a time period the rotation measurement is for either.

In any case, whatever method is being used for the factory plastic disc is also being used for the mod aluminum disc so the RPM readings should be comparable.

My best is 1485 RPM which was with the factory disc... even with the aluminum disc I only get over 1000 on rare occasion.

#11826 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Sweeet! Thank you for this. I too will nab both. Do you know if both allow insider connect to work (don't care about home working) just want to be able to scan barcode.

I can confirm that the PoMC comic version supports Insider Connected as well as Home Team.

3 weeks later
#11867 11 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Recently I had gotten pulled away by the other two (currently working) games in my collection where I focused on each for a little bit and beat them both for the first time. So I've come back to AIQ.
I feel like the opposite is happening here. I'm getting worse! Here's my typical session now:
- alright, power up this machine. I'm ready to make some progress! Hit the start button...that PoMC intro and music are pumping me up! F yeah, let's get it! Let me try for that portal lock skill shot!
- ok, skill shot missed. But no worries! Some warm-up shots here...oh shit yeah Widow to gauntlet to upper loop! Combo time! Man, this game shoots great! So much fun! Awesome, combo portal lock! OK, let's start a mode. Spin the disc, get my portal lock, and...
- oh, the ball caromed off the disc post into danger and got anywhere NEAR the outlane and drained. Well, that sucks. Ah well, we'll get 'em back on the next ball!
- launch ball, start a gem mode. Ok, let's go for power, I wanna get that on Panther as quick as possible. With two balls this should be easy! While it's early why don't I go ahead and try to get Thor started for some insurance....ok, I get it, NOW I hit the Panther orbit cuz I'm aiming for Thor. Wait, AGAIN? Ok, finally a Thor hit
- oh, one ball drained? That's ok, probably within the ball save window. No? Crap. Well let's make some progress on the mode I guess and still try to hit Thor.
- well, didn't start Thor, but finished the mode! Nice! Now surely it can't be hard to get this to the flippers to get at least ONE shot at the hard-to-make Panther to place it....
- oh it hit the pops / targets on the way to the flipper? Well that's not optimal but I can move the gem later I guess. Let's spin the disc to start another mo....wait, how did it graze the captive ball on its own?? Great now useless unstacked Thor mb starts. Let's play that to at least enjoy some Zeppelin tunes for a few minutes....ok. Now hit the disc again and....crap, outlane AGAIN??
- ball 3 and I've gotten nowhere! Well let's try, I dunno, the Mind Gem I guess, who cares, I'm gonna lose this game soon.
- Mind Gem completed! OK! Some momentum maybe! Let's put it on Widow so we can build it up for soul gem FUCK IT HIT THE POPS / TARGETS HOW
- ah well, let's spin the wheel and start Soul Gem. Not really in the mood for hard mode, just get me the gem
- ok, that wasn't so bad! Ehh since I have a Pro and can't do 5894x multiplier shenanigans on Marvel let's plop it wherever I guess
- alright, maybe we can make some progress in the game! Oh, Thanos Attacks. Well I guess I don't care too much about the time gem let me see if I can defend that oh flank attack and it picked the power gem, ok. Great. I'll just defend that th....oh, it saw an outlane from 10ft away and had to jump in. Game over!

Haha, that's some funny stuff! Funny because it can be so truthful!

A few recommendations...

AIQ definitely improved my nudging skills, the outlanes can be brutal! I have my tilt set fairly sensitive with two warnings, but nudging when the ball is close to the outlanes can help.

Don't be in a hurry to start the gem quests. Get your flow going with combos and build up at least one or two portal locks and then start the quest.

Bringing in Thor or Iron Man on the difficult or high scoring quests can definitely help. Remember - spin the disk in any Thor or Iron Man multiball to light the add-a-ball at the Sanctum once each multiball. If you start the quest with at least one locked ball for a multiball and then complete the quest with at least two balls still in play, you will advance into Victory Laps which can be high scoring. This is easier to do if you stack a multiball with the quest.

It took a lot of games for me to get "good" at AIQ, but now it's that "one" game I feel like I can do good on almost every time I play it now. Most shots are far away from the flippers, so there isn't a high chance of a quick bounce back SDTM in most cases... now those outlanes though.......

#11874 11 months ago
Quoted from nstern2:

Just bought some Ninja Chromes for my AIQ. Should I be worried about magnetization?

No, I've never had any issues with the Ninja balls magnetizing in AIQ. I do change them out every 500 or so plays though.

#11877 11 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Right. What induces magnetism in something is when it scrapes/slides/spins across a magnet, like notably on TMNT's disc or the TZ Powerfield. On Avengers, the single magnet just holds a stationary airborne ball which won't have that effect.

I agree and was pleasantly surprised to have not encountered any magnetism issues using the Ninja Super Shiny balls in TZ or Godzilla as well!

Again, I do change out around every ~500 plays or when starting to get scuffed up.

2 weeks later
#11905 11 months ago
Quoted from awesome1:

I'm basically in this exact same position! I rarely play AIQ anymore because I've essentially "accomplished everything" many times and good games are 60 - 90+ minutes long.
I still love the game, but I've been playing my other games almost exclusively, especially Godzilla since there is still more for me to experience in it.
I do have long layoffs from playing a pin or two in my collection from time to time, but still enjoy playing all of them. For my first year of AIQ ownership - I played it almost exclusively and have put ~3800 plays on it now after 2+ years of ownership.
I'll admit that the thought of possibly trading AIQ for something else has crossed my mind. Maybe Stranger Things Premium? Maybe something else of similar value since I am at my space limitations? It would be a hard choice, but the thought of a new challenge is appealing.
I may give your idea a try and see if it sparks the desire again... It's similar to what me and my adult son had to do on my Robotron arcade game some years ago. We couldn't play two player games anymore because we were both too good and it would take hours for a single game, so we had to set it to max level 10 difficulty and now it's an immense struggle to get to 1 million, which takes about 15 minutes.

Quoted from blizz81:

I would think you would tire of STh, as you are a better player than I & at just over 200 plays, I wouldn’t mind seeing it get traded out for something with more going on. But at least it should be pretty easy to sell if you give it a try.
STh I’d say my average games are longer than AIQ. AIQ also takes more mental concentration.

Quoted from vikingerik:

I'm still playing my AIQ with one particular goal - I'm trying to get that absolute max Space Gem quest score (1 billion plus) and Soul Gem jackpot (would be 2.5B). And I still want to beat that 11 billion game I had a few months ago. Other than that, yeah I've seen everything on it by now. (And I might not succeed in those - my Captain Marvel ramp has been getting harder to make lately and I haven't figured out why.) The games are indeed long, but that's not a turnoff for me, I'm single and I like spending time on it.
I think its resale/trade value isn't that great. AIQ has been in production for years and everybody who wants one has it. When I look at the wishlists for people's trade ads, almost every time they've already got or previously owned AIQ. And the theme is getting a little dated now that the Thanos movies are a few years past. Premiums like ours seem to be going for well under $8k now.
As for Stranger Things - I'm tired of that one even just from playing it on location, maybe 80 or so games total. Same for Mandalorian; those are the only two LCD Sterns that I have no desire to own. They both feel more like grindy work than fun.

I love my stranger things as it's a completely different game from Avengers. There is far more to do in Sth than Avengers I think and each game can feel really different. One game I may go modes, another just demogorgons. There are so many different multiballs between the TK, Total Isolation, Demogorgon multiballs, the 2 mini wizard modes and then the final wizard mode. Things are balanced well so it doesn't feel like it's multiball all day. I love it but I realize I'm in the minority in a lot of threads. Only down side to the game is the difficulty of getting it setup right. Especially the premium with the TK lock. I don't think my Pro will ever be leaving and I still have not beaten it. Not because I couldn't but because I refuse to time out modes. I love playing the whole thing. Avengers, to me, is by far the easier game especially the premium.

OK - finally got to try a Stranger Things Pro yesterday at the Golden State Pinball Festival. Played one game and hit just under 1.1 Billion... Didn't really know what to do, but probably won't be looking to add one in place of AIQ in my collection.

Got to try a bunch of newer machines and Foo Fighters is probably at the top of my list of what I played and don't already own. It reminded me a bit of AIQ with the combos and flow. I think it would have long play times in a home setting similar to AIQ as well, which may be a slight downside. The band isn't one of my favorites (I don't really dislike them either), but the way Stern did the theme is really good in my opinion.

I again just can't seem to like any of the JJP offerings as there seems to some delay, even though very small, in pushing the flipper button and the flipper responding. When they do respond they are fairly weak. None of the gameplay really reached out to me either.

If I do move away from AIQ, whatever replaces it is really going to need to check all the boxes though...

#11909 11 months ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

So if I play for hours at a time is this a machine that really benefits from the flipper cooling set? Kinda like mandatory to get a set? Or is it just a gimmick ?
I heard with this game because of long play times it will be worth it does anyone know the difference between pin monks $210 flipper coil set versus $300 set?
Am I correct in that this game only has 2 different sets..
Many thanks guys

AIQ can definitely benefit fron flipper coil fans if you play long games and/or sessions.

Pinmonks plug and play offerings will work great, but you can go the DIY route for much cheaper if you are a little mechanically inclined.

I have a DIY Pinball Flipper Coil Fans thread:

#11910 11 months ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Hey guys, need some help. I have a problem where the drop targets occasionally aren’t registered as being down. This has happened about 7-8 times now and today it happened after knocking them all down in soul gem with no flank attack left to progress the shot. I know this is probably just a simple switch test or something but seeing as this is the first time I have dealt with a switch test, any help on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, start in the switch test mode. Search for more info on that if needed, but basically open coin door and use the right pushbutton switch to access different tests, settings, audits, etc. Left and center switch to move left and right, right switch to select.

Also re-seat all connections going to the drop target opto switches and associated node board under the playfield.

#11921 11 months ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

I don’t get why long play times are a “problem” for some, for me it’s great to have that on such a fun
flow master of a machine. If you want shorter play time, you can always play the challenge mode, which is really fun mode all on its own. Also, one thing you can’t change about a game is the layout, and AIQ is one of the best!

Quoted from Nicholastree:

I like long play times as well, so long as it is advancing through to greater depths of the code. From what I gather, AIQ is a deep game. It's going to be interesting to learn more about how to play it. Right now I just "follow the lights" but I really don't know one ramp or target from another. Should be fun.
A summer project is going to be watching all the Avengers movies with my kids so we can all appreciate the game more.

Believe me - I still love AIQ! It's a great flowing game and the code is excellent and deep! Lot's of different strategies can be used, because of the nature of the code. The Captain Marvel loop shot may be my single favorite shot in pinball!

In my particular case, I've gotten to the point in 2 1/2 years of owning a Premium and ~3,800 games played that I have essentially done all that the game offers many times. Any particular time I play the machine, there's a decent chance I will play for 60+ minutes.

I don't know if I actually consider that a problem, I'm ok with deep long playing games, but if I only have a limited time to play, it basically eliminates AIQ from being played. Sure I can play the challenge mode, and I do sometimes and enjoy it. I wish Insider Connected had it's own stats and achievements for the challenge game!

I think I've just hit the saturation point a bit with my AIQ. I still play it every few weeks, but I kind of hit that point with all my machines I have at some point, so don't take that as criticism of AIQ.

#11928 11 months ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

So, I figured out that it is the bottom drop target that is not registering, this feels like a stupid question but does re-seat mean just unplug it and then plug it back in?

Yes and no. You don't have to pull the connector completely apart. In fact, one of my pin-techs says you shouldn't. But if you just wiggle them and pull them a little, that action alone can clean the wire connection enough to re-establish the flow of electric current. And, sometimes wire connection just get pushed apart a little over time (they are electro-magnetic after all) so pushing them together also can solve the problem.

Yes, just unplug and plug back in completely. Unless it's a particularly difficult connector to get completely apart, I wouldn't worry about any issues from pulling it completely apart. You want to pull on the connector to separate though, not the wires.

2 months later
#12027 9 months ago

New high for me of 6.5 Billion!

Beat my previous high by 170 Million.

6th game over 6 Billion! All 6 Gems, Trophy Mania, Computer Frenzy.

IMG_4297 (resized).JPGIMG_4297 (resized).JPGIMG_4301 (resized).JPGIMG_4301 (resized).JPG
#12030 9 months ago
Quoted from altan:

The rules for AIQ are deep and wide, I knew this before purchasing.
I’ve been watching some tutorials and reading the rules. However, it’s not clear to me how much of the rules you need to memorize vs. the game helping you.
For example, the game sometimes says “shoot the right ramp” or similar. Assuming this is right, it’s helping you.
Here’s an example. In mind gem you shoot avenger shots to find out who is being controlled. How does the game tell you this?
The rules say “RGB color light blue”. Does that mean the required shots have blue inserts? If so, does the game mention that “blue” is the active shot color?
Or do you really need to memorize this stuff.
I’m at lunch reading the rules so cannot try it out.

The Tilt Forum rulesheet gives good explanation if you haven't seen it yet.

http://tiltforums.com/t/avengers-infinity-quest-rulesheet/6740

For your specific question, yes, if you know all of the Ins and outs of the rules, it definitely helps, but you don't necessarily need to know everything though to get deeper into the game.

For the Mind gem quest - One of the blue lights will flash.. this is the preffered shot to make and then spin the disk for that Avenger to break free. If you shoot all of the flashing blue shots and spin the disk, you will complete the quest. If you shoot the steady blue shots and spin the disk, you will have to also shoot the Sanctum target to finish the quest.

2 weeks later
#12061 8 months ago

Got to play an AIQ Pro a weekend ago on location at Das Flipperhaus in Rocklin, Ca.

Definitely a little different than my Premium at home and I accidentally started a couple gem quests early by hitting the right ramp when I was going for more combos...

Luckily, I was able to get their High Score!

Still a very fun game and I look forward to getting some more play in on the Pro.

awesome1 1.1 Billion AIQ Das Flipperhaus 7-30-2023 (resized).jpgawesome1 1.1 Billion AIQ Das Flipperhaus 7-30-2023 (resized).jpg
#12073 8 months ago
Quoted from JJDK:

Yes, I do have the gem shooter rod and put a red spring on it but it still cannot get up that ramp. I made all the adjustments and may need to lower the pitch. It is currently at 6.5 and level. Prior to the gem shooter rod it also was problematic. Any ideas?

How far away from the ball is the end of the shooter rod with the ball resting in the shooter lane?

May need to change the outer spring and/or add some shims on the outside or inside of cab to get the shooter end close, but not touching the ball in the shooter lane.

#12076 8 months ago
Quoted from JJDK:

I did look at that and it appears to be further away than what I see on other games. I already replaced the inner spring to a stronger one and not sure how changing the outer spring or how to add shims to get the rod closer to the ball? I can take a look at the outer spring and see if that helps.

Quoted from EaglePin:

Removing a washer from the outside of the shooter rod assembly (in front of the barrel spring on the rod outside the cabinet) can move the plunger tip closer to the ball also.

Yeah, removing the washer/shim from the outside and/or adding one or more to the inside (between inner spring and cabinet) will move the shooter tip inward, closer to the ball.

1 week later
#12082 8 months ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

It would seem as though it has come time to invest in some coil cooling fans. Does anyone have any advice on this subject?

Quoted from EaglePin:

Good decision on this game. They made a really big difference on mine to be able to play for an extended period without losing shot power. I used the ones from Pinmonk but I know there are good DIY guides for doing it like the one from awesome1 and some others also.

Thanks EaglePin !

Flipper coil cooling fans will definitely prevent flipper fade, which can be a problem on AIQ.

Pinmonk's Flipper coil fans will work great and there are other commercially available easy plug and play options available as well.

If you are more of a Do-It-Yourself kind of person, I have a guide which gives an overview of how I do my games and others have also chimed in with what they have done on theirs.

#12099 8 months ago
Quoted from badfish981:

Hey everyone, I’ve been on the fence about getting AIQ. I really enjoy playing it on location, the shots are great and the music/callouts don’t bother me at all. I currently have a CCr (family favorite), a AFMr (my love/hate machine), GZ pro and a DP pro. Only have room for 4…….if anything’s gonna go it’s AFM.
I guess the question is, those of you that own it…..is it a long term keeper?

I think AIQ is a great game. Best flow of any modern Stern in my opinion, including Foo Fighters. I prefer AIQ Premium, but I only have a handful of games on the pro.

I’m in a similar situation as vikingerik in that I have “finished” the game many times and have the potential to finish it every time I play it. On my Premium I have over 3000 games played and have had it for 3 years. I only play about once a month or so now since the game times can be very long and nothing really left to do. This can happen on any game.

I’m currently on the fence about trading or selling mine since I have limited space.

The music and callouts are some of the knocks against this game and if you already are ok with them then you should get it.

The other knock is the rules, which I personally like very much. For home games I prefer deep games and for AIQ it can take a while to learn all of the rule nuances, but you don’t necessarily have to.

1 week later
#12108 7 months ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

Hah. Picked up an AIQ Prem recently and this just happened to me tonight during a gem mode/multiball. Looks like it’s common. Is there a mod/fix?[quoted image]

This happened to me once and then I bent the metal guide in just a little closer to the pop bumper and it hasn't happened again in ~3000 games played.

1 week later
#12138 7 months ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

anyone mind sharing a link of Elwin playing an AIQ?
The reveal is still on deadflip, was hoping there might be a 1.0 code stream on there but no.

If you are looking for more of a complete AIQ play through including all Wizard Modes, I have video of my 6.5 Billion game on YouTube:

1 month later
#12195 6 months ago

I like AIQ pro, but prefer the Premium. Admittedly I only have a handful of games played on the Pro and actually a lot more on the Premium than IC shows since I had the game for a year and a half before adding IC.

The Captain Marvel ramp is still my favorite shot in pinball!

awesome1 AIQ Insider Connected Plays (resized).jpgawesome1 AIQ Insider Connected Plays (resized).jpg
#12197 6 months ago
Quoted from Richter1019:

I’m in the same boat, few games on the pro, but love my premium. It’s really personal preference and is a great game either way!
Not to change the subject, what is everyone’s opinion on the best use for fully powered Mind Gem??
Or uses??

You can spin the disc and use the Level 2 Mind Gem during Reality Gem quest to complete the mode with just that Mind gem use.

I actually generally prefer to have the Mind Gem at Level 1 for the 3 uses. This makes Hard Mode in Soul Gem quest much easier to complete and it also is very helpful in any Gem quest or Wizard mode.

1 week later
#12240 6 months ago
Quoted from pixelpete:

AIQ Premium owners, I've had my pin for a few years now. I noticed the subway mech makes the loud clicking sound (the same sound when a ball is going through the subway) but this is when there is no ball in the subway and no one is even playing the pin. Has anyone had this issue? Thanks!

Quoted from vikingerik:

This sounds like the optos are sensing a ball when there's none there. Normal behavior when no one is playing would be for the game to try to get that ball out of there, so it cycles the subway mechanism. Likely one of the optos is dirty or misaligned or perhaps has a bad connection.

Yup. First, pull up the PF, dip Q-tip in rubbing alcohol or moisten with a glass cleaner and try to get the Q-tip in there to clean the optos. I've never cleaned my subway so I don't know how easy it is to get access to them. Hopefully, it isn't too difficult. What grime you see on the Q-tip will be a clue as to whether that was the issue or not. You might still want to reseat connectors while you've got the PF up. If that doesn't solve the problem, move on to optos misaligned or connector/node board problem. Good luck!

I agree with the others, sounds like a subway opto issue.

The subway is actually pretty easy to remove. It's basically (2) pieces, the mechanical piece and the plastic subway piece. You don't need to remove the plastic piece to access the optos, but it's only a few more screws and it's worth cleaning while you are in there.

The subway mechanical pic is from when I was doing the "fix" as you can see the farthest "finger" is too low... (I and others have posts on here on how to do the fix if interested).

IMG_1303 (resized).JPGIMG_1303 (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (resized).JPGIMG_1304 (resized).JPGIMG_1304 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#12289 5 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

You never beat Thanos twice in the same game. Once you beat him once, he's done. (I don't remember what happens if you lose the Battle Thanos mode, if you can play it again at all.)
(This is also assuming you're not confusing Thanos Attacks with Battle Thanos. You can win each of those separately.)
If the portal is open after winning Battle Thanos, it's for one of the following things: do a gem quest that you still don't have (must possess the Soul Gem to retry one you already failed), do a portal lock (only allowed if there is any gem you still don't have), one of the Avengers Assembled modes (after the three of them ending with Battle Royale, they loop back around to Soul Gem the fourth time you assemble the avengers), one of the wizard modes (Computer Frenzy or Trophy Mania), or if none of that applies then the portal collects an avenger.

Quoted from greben0ts:

So opening the portal after killing Thanos starts one of the wizard modes.
In my case, I opened it once after killing Thanos to start quest to collect Space gem, using Soul Gem, and then opened another time afterwards, but didn’t actually start the wizard mode afterwards. Bummer!
Now that I’m getting quite a bit better at this game, I think I might need to start looking up more advanced strategies.
My standard is:
Mind as soon as I have 2 portal locks (I’m convinced this is the highest scoring potential of any gem quest).
If not 2 locks, then Power.
Then Soul.
Reality as soon as I have 2 more locks.
Time if I have 1 or 0 locks.
Space if I have 0 locks.
I’m beginning to think though, if I pick up space early, I can really push a lot of mind gem uses out of it.
So I dunno. Still having fun, and still have a ways to go to get to consistent 2B+

Yes, if you lose to Thanos in Battle Thanos, you can fight him again. As vikingerik said, you can only defeat him once per game.

Once you have all of the gems you can collect and beat Battle Thanos, getting portal locks to collect Avengers can wrap you back around to the Avengers Assembled modes much easier than trying to re-collect them all again and again.

It is also possible to get to the wizard modes before getting to Battle Thanos...

#12310 5 months ago
Quoted from ray3127:

Thoughts on which Precision flippers are best with AIQ?
I have Halos on my SW Premium and love them. Going to order a set for an incoming AIQ Premium but I am torn. I played John's AIQ at TPF, which I believe had the regular Precision flippers.
Any experiences / pics are appreciated.

I've tried both on different machines and prefer the play of the Halos. I also like using Super Bands on the Halos, but prefer Perfect Play on standard flippers. The regular Precision flippers and Halos tend to have more bounce to them, so the slightly deader Super Bands allow more 'normal' flipper control in my opinion.

I'm running standard flippers on AIQ, but did change them to yellow and have DIY flipper coil fans which definitely help with long games and play sessions.

2 weeks later
#12359 4 months ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Ok question for awesome1 i saw some of your videos of AIQ, how in the world were you getting 25+ million victory laps? Is it just a matter of keeping the balls in play for long enough? I know spinning the disc increases the victory laps value but I’ve never seen it anywhere close to that high.

Thanks for watching some of my videos!

Spin the disc to increase the jackpot level. Each ball you have in play is a multiplier... Also jackpots are boosted with Captain Marvel multiplier and Reality Gem and Avenger level boosts.

#12360 4 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

He's got the lightweight disc mod, which will often spin up to three times as much as what a regular disc will. And make for less downtime of *not* spinning, which is when the value drops.
Besides that, there's also the Captain Marvel ramp multiplier, the Reality Gem, and level-2 avengers that can multiply the scored values.

Sure, you just need the aluminum disc...

3 times the spin? I don't think so, but it does look cool and probably does spin just a little longer than factory.

My fastest RPM record was done with the factory disc...

#12374 4 months ago
Quoted from Npbassman:

Hello Avengers! I think I'm going to join the club soon and apologies in advance, but I have the old Pro vs Premium question. Here's where I'm at.
I really like how the pro plays and flows. I also really like spinners, so the one where the CM ramp is located on the Prem doesn't bother me one bit.
I LOVE the look of the Premium. The CM ramp just looks amazing and I also prefer the Black Panther VUK and the rising disk compared to the Pro. My issues with the Premium is that I don't like how the subway slows the game down, but I understand that you can configure it to pass through and roll right into the VUK?
Also, every time I play the Prem on location, I brick that CM ramp 4 out of 5 times. I've read the comments on this thread and have also spoken to a couple of pinsiders here and the concensus is that 'it's the best shot in pinball'. So, can that shot be dialed in once it's in my home to be more consistent and makable or will I be fighting it more often than not? I just want to make sure I don't regret not getting a Prem once it's in my home.
Thanks!

I'll be the first to admit that I am biased because I own an AIQ Premium and am one of the ones that thinks the Captain Marvel Ramp shot is the "best shot in pinball".

As vikingerik mentioned, the CM shot can definitely be dialed in.

My Premium is completely dialed in for the CM Ramp (DIY Lexan fix and make sure no binding on the wireform and keep it cleaned and waxed) and Subway (I repaired it after it broke).

I also have DIY Flipper Coil Fans that help quite a bit on AIQ for long games or playing sessions.

With that said, I have only played AIQ Pro a little more than a handful of times and it was quite enjoyable. Definitely different than the Premium though if you are used to the Premium.

I actually have around 3500+ games played on my Premium since I had it a while before adding IC.

I would go with whichever version you enjoy and your budget allows. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Edit: As you can see I have slowed down on my AIQ playing as it can become a long-playing game once you "get good at it". Doesn't mean I like it any less, just don't play as often since I have thousands of games played on it already.

AIQ scores 11-30-2023 (resized).jpgAIQ scores 11-30-2023 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#12456 3 months ago

I hope Stern fixes the fact that you can't easily repeat the challenge mode after completing. You are still logged in and the screen says play again but when you hit start it starts a regular game. You have to navigate back to the hometeam (if using that) then reselect the mode. All the latest games have that limitation. I'd play them a lot more if I could just do back to back by hitting the start button

I don't log in when playing the challenge mode since the stats count against your regular game stats. (games played, avg. score).

I wish Stern would have Challenge mode specific "challenges" or Badge quests, so I would want to log in and try for some achievements.

2 weeks later
#12498 3 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

The subway is driving me crazy, it keeps jamming
I tried the 3d printed part which is supposed to improve, it did indeed improve the last position (where the ball would not align with the last opto), but it increased jamming.
I tried the tip from another pinhead using the washer underneath the axis of the problematic 'finger', but I could not put the e-clip back in place, it was too thick.
I guess I'll keep playing around to fix it, for now I just removed it so I can enjoy the game without being mad at a ball getting stuck.
And I still can't master nudge, I really feel there's too many path for cheap drains in the outlanes. Yet I keep coming back to it, that's a good sign I guess

There are a few different "fixes" out there for the subway. Here's a link to what I did and it hasn't had another problem in over 1,000 plays...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/161#post-6483577

#12501 3 months ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Yes, that’s what ideally I want to implement but don’t really have the know-how. Do you sell this as a mod I can buy from you?

Sorry, no. I don't sell this as a mod.

1 week later
#12515 3 months ago

Oh Yeah!

New Soul Gem Champion High Score for me! Pushing past 300 Million!

300,250,000!!!

Got this on the second Soul Gem Quest with Hard Difficulty enabled (looped back around after Battle Thanos).

awesome1 Soul Gem Champion 300,250,000 (resized).JPGawesome1 Soul Gem Champion 300,250,000 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#12582 56 days ago
Quoted from bwalter:

Balls coming out of the right ramp (gauntlet) wireform dropping into the tower shot return lane rarely follow the ball guide, but usually veer to the right and often almost out of range of the flipper. Is this common, and are there suggestions for how to remedy this? I thought about tweaking the end of that wireform to tilt the drop slightly clockwise (from player's perspective) but unsure if that'd help.
Related: Balls meant to lock there, for example when picking a Gem mode, often bounce around the lockpost. Maybe 1/3 of the time? The playfield is 6.8º and level left-right.

Yeah, if the playfield is level, I would tweak that wireform drop point just a little.

1 week later
#12604 47 days ago

vikingerik is correct. To get a ball save during a gem quest, make sure you get at least one portal lock before starting the quest. I sometimes time the activation of the Thor MB or Iron Man MB for when that ball save ends or is about to end. This is particularly important during any Mind Gem quest because that final shot on the Sanctum is very tough to hit sometimes.

Yes, and if you still have at least 2 balls in play after completing a gem quest, you will be rewarded with Victory Multiball which can be lucrative for scoring!

#12607 47 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

It's way more lucrative than it should be when you have that lightweight disc mod that makes it spin on and on forever....

I think it's still spinning now!

#12621 46 days ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

I did a version of this mod on my CM ramp and since then almost every strong clean shot makes it around the loop…just a piece of clear plexiglass affixed with double sided tape. I actually have diddys more fancy mod in reserve, but if it ain’t broke….
Shoutout for frequent cleanings/waxing, it really does seem to make a difference (maybe more so than other titles?).
One other thing….don’t sleep on the “pass through” setting for the subway operation. The gameplay is almost identical (as long as your auto launch makes it all the way around the BP loop) and it speeds up the game a bit. I can easily tell how many portal locks I have by the green leds glowing in the empty subway.
I really enjoy this game, even after owning it for over 3 years. I get how the rules can appear daunting, but I don’t think it’s really more complicated than many other games. Plus, it shoots like a mf! In my (biased) opinion, this game is underrated, especially in a home setting. Although, in an arcade you wouldn’t have to listen to the dreadful callouts

Yeah, the "Lexan Fix" and making sure the Captain Marvel wireform isn't binding and under tension will help the smoothness of the CM Ramp shot.

IMG_1031 (resized).JPGIMG_1031 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#12656 21 days ago

awesome1 had a great game, too. Nice job, Fezmid !

Thanks! I'll be out of town the second half of April, so won't be able to play during that time, but hoping I can get some play in over the next couple weekends to try to improve on my score.

#12659 21 days ago

Haha, sorry!

#12676 18 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

In tournaments we find it is a 'long player'.

Agreed. Games on AIQ can be really long when you get that snowball rollin’ - even without extra balls.

AIQ can definitely be a long player. With all of the ramps and combos, it doesn't really have any dangerous shots. Maybe the drop targets, but rebounds tend to bounce up the playfield more than down and the position of the disc can be problematic at times. The outlanes try to make up for it though.
Almost all shots are far away from the flippers and you can pretty much avoid the Ant Man scoop if you want, unlike the scoop on Godzilla for instance, which is a huge part of the game.

#12687 15 days ago

I ran into an odd bug tonight on AIQ Code 1.08.

Iron Man Multiball never starts even after showing starting sequence.

Tower shot ends Battle Royale and also starts Iron Man Multiball, but multiball never starts even after showing starting sequence. Drain and game over.

I have the sequence on video:

#12689 14 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Submit a bug report to Stern.

I did, thanks. I meant to write that.

Rare set of circumstances to cause it and the age of the game, I doubt they will fix it, but would be pleasantly surprised if they did.

#12702 14 days ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

A few extra reasons for Power Gem placement choices that you can try out.
Power Gem on Black Panther
An additional reason for placement on Black Panther is that keeping a level 1 or higher Black Panther adds 3 seconds to the combo timer which makes it easier to get your combos and portal locks and makes the other gem modes easier (and more valuable).
NOT using Power Gem on Hulk if you don't like to shuffle gems
I don't like moving around my gems all the time, so I don't place Power on Hulk because once Hulk is level 2 then I don't ever get anymore Hulk Gamma Ray events which IMO are really fun.
Power Gem on Captain Marvel (for Pro)
I don't think this is necessarily optimal, but I tried this on the Pro and it was a lot of fun because you get so many extra Mystery awards and binary hurry ups.
I noticed that having those extra Mystery awards were really nice to have for the extra Add-a-Ball awards for multiballs, extra timed modes, and collecting avenger awards. Definitely something to try for fun sometime.

Another thing to consider is moving the Power Gem around once you get an Avenger to Level 2, usually via "Change Gems".

A long/late game strategy is getting all Avengers to Level 2 at some point in the game, which will give you a trophy for each and generally should get you to Trophy Mania around the time you get to Battle Thanos if you are successful at getting the other needed trophies during the course of the game.

I also will put Power Gem on Capt. Marvel from time to time to build up the multiplier early in the game, but ideally move to another Avenger before Assembling the Avengers so you can carry over any Level build up, which Capt. Marvel doesn't use.

#12703 14 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m about to join the club with a premium. Been reading the rules page seems straightforward enough except the gem placement.
Is there a quick rule of thumb to say like:
If you have X gem always put it here.
or
If you get any gem X shot is likely profitable.
or
X location is never good
——
Of note I don’t expect to be collecting a lot of gem stones in one game, likely it’ll be 1-2 gems in a good game for me so I won’t need to be saving good spots for later collected gems.

If you are trying to maximize points, but generally don't get far in the game, I would recommend locking 2 balls and getting Iron Man or Thor multiball ready. Thor is probably the easiest since you only have to hit it a few times to start originally.

Choose Reality Gem, which is probably the easiest gem to collect and also has the potential to be one of the highest scoring. Start your multiball and spin the disk as much as possible while hitting Avenger shots. Once the Gem is completed if you still have 2+ balls in play you will go into "Victory Laps"... continue spinning the disk and hitting Avenger shots.

After that you should have 100~500+ million and not even having placed the gem yet.

#12709 10 days ago

Good and Bad...

New Thanos Attacks! High Score for me! 362 Million and successfully defended 5 Gems!

Kind of a bittersweet mode high score I guess though.

You have to do good enough to have a lot of gems when you get to Thanos Attacks to get a big score.

Having a lot of gems when you get to Thanos Attacks, means you did poorly on Soul Gem and Black Order Multiball...

awesome1 Thanos Attacks! Champion 362 Million (resized).JPGawesome1 Thanos Attacks! Champion 362 Million (resized).JPG
1 week later
#12729 3 days ago

Heck Yeah!!!

12 Billion!!!

I've been playing a lot of AIQ lately for the Stern April 2024 Leaderboard and finally was able to really "Blow It Up"!

Hopefully this score will hold onto first place!

12 Billion AIQ Pinball Grand Champion awesome1.JPG12 Billion AIQ Pinball Grand Champion awesome1.JPGawesome1 AIQ Leaderboard 4-21-2024 Stern Insider Connected.PNGawesome1 AIQ Leaderboard 4-21-2024 Stern Insider Connected.PNGawesome1 AIQ Leaderboard 4-2024 Activity Stern Insider Connected.jpgawesome1 AIQ Leaderboard 4-2024 Activity Stern Insider Connected.jpg
#12731 2 days ago

awesome1 : how the hell did you do that?

Thanks!

I started out really hot and then got a bit tight, tired and nervous since I really wanted to get over 7.5 Billion to move into first on the Stern IC Leaderboard. I was doing really good on points, but failed Time Gem and got to Battle Thanos with only 5 gems. I was close to 7B at that point and for the first time ever it took me more than 2 tries to beat Thanos, but I finally did on my last ball and then I completely blew up Super Victory Laps before finally winning Time gem and then had a good Trophy Mania but didn't make it to the second Soul gem this time.

I had a bunch of games clustered in the 5.5B to 6.5B range, so it felt really good to finally bust past that!

These new mode High Scores helped!

Full video uploading...

312 Million Iron Man Multiball Champion AIQ awesome1 (resized).png312 Million Iron Man Multiball Champion AIQ awesome1 (resized).png2.3 Billion Soul Gem Jackpot Champion AIQ awesome1 (resized).png2.3 Billion Soul Gem Jackpot Champion AIQ awesome1 (resized).png3.4 Billion Super Victory Laps Champion AIQ awesome1 (resized).png3.4 Billion Super Victory Laps Champion AIQ awesome1 (resized).png
#12732 2 days ago

Sorry, not trying to spam the group... I'm just pretty excited!

Complete game video of my 12 Billion AIQ High Score:

#12745 2 days ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

The first runs were definitely shipped with the outlane posts in the closed position. Mine was, and I recall there being a discussion early on about how outside the norm this was.

I can confirm my outlane posts are in the lower position from the factory and I have left them there. I got my game NIB in November 2020.

Outlane drains were brutal, nudging helps, but they still can be...

#12746 2 days ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

I think this is a recent change by stern.
Default NIB post position used to be closed but now the defaults have been moved to middle from the NIB machines i've seen.
But its possible this might be a designer preference.

My Godzilla Premium I got NIB in April 2022 has the outlane posts in the middle position and I've left them there.

I try to keep factory settings on all my games. I do put DIY flipper coil fans on all of them.

#12750 2 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I do want to note the fact that this is with the lightweight disc mod on awesome1's machine. For anyone who doesn't know, that lets the disc continue spinning much more, including also that the stud tends to settle in the bottom position to easily hit it again from the upper flipper. Disc spins crank up the shot value particularly for Super Victory Laps and also the regular victory laps that must have fed into that soul gem jackpot. This behavior is very favorable to the player compared to an unmodded machine. I am not intending any disrespect or shade throwing here (I'm sure the other leaderboard scores also involve machines with this and other favorable modifications), just pointing it out for consideration.

Dude, you seem like a nice guy and generally trying to help others with your posts, but every time I post a score, you bring up the aluminum disc... Again, my RPM record is with the factory stock plastic disc. Maybe the aluminum one spins a bit more and contributed to some of my score, but it's been this way for a couple years now. I have many mode scores on AIQ that are not affected by the disc, like Soul gem with 76 flips remaining with no Mind gem.

I play on carpet and do have a tight tilt setting, which I would think plays heavily into gameplay and just to point out, you have mentioned your own "mods" when you had AIQ...

Quoted from vikingerik:

Physical setup of the game. I admittedly have the tilt bob very loose, and it's on a hardwood floor so I can easily make slide saves. I adjusted the flipper alignment upwards by a couple of millimeters, which makes a significant difference for making flow shots onto Widow and Gauntlet. And my autoplunger almost always fails to make it all the way around but lands in the bumpers instead - this is an advantage, for easily powering up Captain America, and when I do want a plunge to go all the way around I quickly grab the manual plunger to launch it.

I'm not meaning any disrespect either. We all have our own games, probably setup slightly different and I'll admit scores are hard to qualify and compare across different games.

I'm just excited about finally busting past the 5.5B ~ 6.5B I had topped out at and been stuck at for a couple years, all with the same factory game settings (3 balls, Extra balls on), outlane post locations, aluminum disc and flipper coil fans.

I'm not trying to hide anything from anyone. That's one of the reasons I started video recording games... Yes, I have the glass on. I'm just having fun at home.

#12756 2 days ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!
By the way, what is the disc mod and where can I get it?

Precision Pinball Products makes the aluminum disc. The owner John, 1956PINHEAD is a great guy to deal with as well!

#12757 2 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Heh, yeah I've had it in mind to visit him if I'm ever in CA for some reason.
And yeah awesome1 I'm not intending to criticize at all, it's your machine and you do it how you like, and I really do mean that, and of course I set up my own machines favorably too. I just want the information known, so that for anyone who is thinking about also getting such scores and competing on the leaderboards, that they know what to look for and set up for themselves. The difference in your disc is a lot - watching your videos, you get close to double the spins per hit compared to any other AIQ I've ever played myself, and that means close to double the shot/jackpot values in the modes that use it.

Definitely hit me up if you are ever in Northern California. I’m sure we would get along great and have fun playing!

I have family in Maryland (I’m originally from there) and get back to visit from time to time. Maybe we can work something out sometime there as well.

#12758 2 days ago
Quoted from ichuckle:

lots of "actually...." posts coming in after a huge score is posted. not surprising

I’ve been know to put up big scores on location as well. At least on machines I’m familiar with!

#12761 2 days ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

Golden State Pinball Festival is coming up...
If you guys want to meet up for a AIQ lovers play session/contest, count me in.

I’ve been to a couple Golden State’s with my adult son joining me last year.

Also been to a few Pin-A-Go-Go’s. Always fun!

Not sure yet if we’re going this year as we may be playing in a table tennis tournament that weekend. One of my other hobbies…

Would be fun for any of us in this group to meet and play a little if it works out.

#12769 30 hours ago

I've had the aluminum disc for a couple years now, so I'm used to it.

It can spin longer, though I can't say it spins faster because my RPM record is still with the original plastic disc.

It does tend to block the Sanctum shot which can be problematic.

I've only played a couple handful of games of AIQ on location, but the difference or game difficulty with the factory disc didn't stand out to me at all.

#12773 24 hours ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Yes, this is it. I'd wager that at least a billion of awesome1's 3 billion total in Super Victory Laps wouldn't have happened with the standard disc. Just look at the timing - awesome1's machine can set it spinning for ten full seconds with a solid hit, where an unmodded machine will go for maybe five. And because it always settles to the bottom, it's easier to hit again and never stops in the tough position.
The extra spins don't change game progression (easier to open the portal to start a quest, but that's easy anyway.) But for the modes that build scores with disc spins, it can blow up those scores tremendously. This is both kinds of victory laps (including regular victory laps feeding into the soul gem jackpot, Iron Man MB, the Power and Mind gem quests, and Trophy Mania.

Just imagine what I could have scored if I didn't have a tilt bob hooked up and did slide saves!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,999 (Firm)
$ 16.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 19.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Trade
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.50
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
903 posts in this topic match your search for posts by awesome1. You are on page 4 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider awesome1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/4?tu=awesome1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.