IMG_2504 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2502 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2495 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2494 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2448 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,598 posts in this topic. You are on page 246 of 252.
#12251 4 months ago

It looks like you are missing a washer at the top where it attaches around the iron man shot. I attached pictures for both spots so you can compare.

IMG_2132 (resized).jpegIMG_2132 (resized).jpegIMG_2133 (resized).jpegIMG_2133 (resized).jpegIMG_2134 (resized).jpegIMG_2134 (resized).jpegIMG_2135 (resized).jpegIMG_2135 (resized).jpeg
#12252 4 months ago
Quoted from mdmitch2:

I have one more issue I'm working out on my Pro --- the return wireform from the black panther ramp seems to be out of whack. The end of the wireform that feeds the right inlane is angled upward quite a bit, and this has caused there to be a bit of a 'dip' where the wireform passes the Capt Marvel shot. The ball has gotten stuck in this spot when two balls are both returning and one rolls back into the dip. I'm assuming the wireform is not installed correctly, but it's not depicted in the manual, so I'm not sure how to correct it.
In the attached images, the green square is indicating where the ball got stuck and the arrow is indicating where the wireform is colliding with the plastic on the right side of the Capt Marvel shot. You can also see the upward angle of the wireform leading to the inlane. I've tried adjusting the screws at both mounting points, but this is the closest I can get it to 'straight'.
Does anyone have pictures or info on how this wireform is supposed to be mounted at each of the two screw locations pictured? Am I missing some spacers or other parts?
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The post in the third photo looks like it is the wrong post for that spot. Check the manual, but I think it supposed to be taller.

#12253 4 months ago

Anyone having an issue with the auto launch sending the ball into the back panel or not making it around to the right flipper? Wondering what the fix has been?

#12254 4 months ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Anyone having an issue with the auto launch sending the ball into the back panel or not making it around to the right flipper? Wondering what the fix has been?

The custom shooter rod on mine wasn't making the ramp, but after adding a new spring its good to go again. For the auto plunger I would suggest replacing the sleeve and coil stop.

#12255 4 months ago
Quoted from Monk:

It looks like you are missing a washer at the top where it attaches around the iron man shot. I attached pictures for both spots so you can compare.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the photos! Yes that does confirm I'm missing one washer. I've added the washer there, and it seemed to help a bit. I removed the whole wireform and the screw mount loops looked somewhat bent out of shape, so I straightened them a bit with some heavy duty needle nose pliers. That seemed to bring things a little more into alignment. So far so good ::fingers crossed:: Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Loving this game by the way. My first Elwin pin, and I get it now

#12256 4 months ago
Quoted from livetowin:

If you search autolaunch in here there are a number of attempts at a fix. It’s never going to be 100%, there’s a fair amount of slop in the Stern autolaunch mech + other variables (guides, pitch, level, etc). I think awesome1 went as far as a stronger coil on the mech, probably in the stickies.

You’re gonna find autolaunch issue posts in any Stern owners thread where the autolaunch has any length of travel / actually has to do more work than spit a ball haphazardly onto the field of play.

#12257 4 months ago
Quoted from mdmitch2:

Loving this game by the way. My first Elwin pin, and I get it now

It took me a LONG time to warm up to Elwin's designs. I did not like JP but own it now. I did not like AIQ but own it now. I did not like (and still am not sure about) Godzilla. But once you understand the Elwin layout, and where the ball is going (which is as non-fan layout as it gets), it's pretty cool. After 100 games on AIQ I think it's the best layout of the three, but the code is still leaving me lukewarm. I still plan to learn it more and play it more before I decide to sell.

#12258 4 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

It took me a LONG time to warm up to Elwin's designs. I did not like JP but own it now. I did not like AIQ but own it now. I did not like (and still am not sure about) Godzilla. But once you understand the Elwin layout, and where the ball is going (which is as non-fan layout as it gets), it's pretty cool. After 100 games on AIQ I think it's the best layout of the three, but the code is still leaving me lukewarm. I still plan to learn it more and play it more before I decide to sell.

I love the layout and shots -- and now that I'm wrapping my head around the code, I think it's pretty brilliant. At it's core, it's like an evolved WPC Williiams game.... i.e. Monster Bash plus modes. Of course, there's a ton of extra things coded on top for the folks who want to go super deep....

At first, I didn't care for the audio/visual elements, and I realize that Stern/Elwin were somewhat hamstrung by the assets that were provided to them.... but ultimately I prefer this to something like Mando where IMO the video elements dominate the game to the detriment of the code and playability (although I'm much more of a Star Wars fan than Avengers). With Mando, I was drawn in by the theme/callouts/etc, but I got bored of the code pretty quickly. With AIQ, it's the opposite, and I think better for it as far as long-term replayability and fun factor.

#12259 4 months ago
Quoted from mdmitch2:

At first, I didn't care for the audio/visual elements, and I realize that Stern/Elwin were somewhat hamstrung by the assets that were provided to them.... but ultimately I prefer this to something like Mando where IMO the video elements dominate the game to the detriment of the code and playability (although I'm much more of a Star Wars fan than Avengers). With Mando, I was drawn in by the theme/callouts/etc, but I got bored of the code pretty quickly. With AIQ, it's the opposite, and I think better for it as far as long-term replayability and fun factor.

I agree here. The comic art stuff doesn't age, but video clips get dated and repetitive. GOTG is the other big example, it's just a drag to keep watching clips of a mid-tier movie that's ten years old now. And Stranger Things is also dated like Mando. Also I just played a JP with the movie code for the first time, and that also felt jarring and dated. (And one weird take on this is Rush - the concert footage feels dated, but as deliberate design that fully fits in with the time machine theme as a tribute.)

The comic stuff stays fresh because it's not conveying a single moment, but the essence and design of the characters, which are timeless. Deadpool of course is the other big example that matches AIQ.

#12260 4 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I agree here. The comic art stuff doesn't age, but video clips get dated and repetitive. GOTG is the other big example, it's just a drag to keep watching clips of a mid-tier movie that's ten years old now. And Stranger Things is also dated like Mando. Also I just played a JP with the movie code for the first time, and that also felt jarring and dated. (And one weird take on this is Rush - the concert footage feels dated, but as deliberate design that fully fits in with the time machine theme as a tribute.)
The comic stuff stays fresh because it's not conveying a single moment, but the essence and design of the characters, which are timeless. Deadpool of course is the other big example that matches AIQ.

Honestly everything in playing a game, pinball included, is repetitive by definition. It's not like you're seeing new instances of the comic art when you play - you're watching the same ...well I can't really say "clips" in terms of what AIQ displays on the LCD. Watching the same largely static images over and over. Hearing the same callouts over and over. Playing the same modes over and over. That can't be avoided, but whether or not the repetition becomes grating to you over time on any particular game is subjective.

To that note you're not going to find many people rushing to the aid of AIQ in terms of theme integration. Pretty widely regarded as one of the big minuses of the game. The custom code options can help it a little depending on if you prefer movie or comic themes, but the meat here is still largely the shots/layout and the rules.

#12261 4 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Honestly everything in playing a game, pinball included, is repetitive by definition. It's not like you're seeing new instances of the comic art when you play - you're watching the same ...well I can't really say "clips" in terms of what AIQ displays on the LCD. Watching the same largely static images over and over. Hearing the same callouts over and over. Playing the same modes over and over. That can't be avoided, but whether or not the repetition becomes grating to you over time on any particular game is subjective.

Agree with all of the above... and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the lack of extensive video/story possibly allows for more flexibility as far as how the game is coded.... and if that's the case, I'll take better code/rules over better theme integration. Still wish for better callouts and music of course...

I wonder if the lack of Marvel assets inspired Elwin and crew to push the rules in more interesting directions? In my experience, the best things are created in the face of adversity and limitations.... so I like to think that might have been the case with AIQ.

#12262 4 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

(And one weird take on this is Rush - the concert footage feels dated, but as deliberate design that fully fits in with the time machine theme as a tribute.)

It's funny that you mention Rush because I love the fact they include newer AND "old crappy black and white" videos. It spans their entire career, which to me kinda makes it timeless. And I'm not a huge Rush...or Avengers...fan. But a good game is a good game!

#12263 4 months ago

Understandably some may say too many lights on each ramp and orbit but it makes it easier to teach new players where to shoot and ramps are loosely color matched to the avenger.

IMG_8600 (resized).jpegIMG_8600 (resized).jpeg
#12264 4 months ago

I've owned my Avengers pro for about 10 months now and I think I've started to figure how I want to play it. I've always been the type of player that tries to make it as far as possible in the game which in turn should give a good score. I played AIQ that way until just recently which drove me a bit nuts with the rules. I would feel like the game was wasted if I started Thor multiball before starting a mode, even on the first ball. For the most part I would spin the disc and shoot the gauntlet to start a mode to collect gems and that's it. After installing the Comic code this weekend, I just "played" the game. I didn't worry to much about where I was shooting, I just shot around. What I found was I enjoyed the game much more than letting the rules consume me during gameplay. I also realized the disc is hit so often from missed shots that the portal is often open without trying. I started to play the game as what was available to me to start, rather than a methodical 1. spin disc 2. get Thor ready 3. start mode 4. start multiball 5. etc. I played a couple of games last night and ended up making it through all the gems collecting all but one and losing one to Thanos. I know it's not a good score for the people that do know how to make all the rules work in their favor, but I got my personal best of just under 900 million. I had this game on the market, but I think I'm going to keep it a bit longer. I just thought I would share this for those of you that may be letting the rules govern too much of your play style.

#12265 4 months ago
Quoted from Monk:

I've owned my Avengers pro for about 10 months now and I think I've started to figure how I want to play it. I've always been the type of player that tries to make it as far as possible in the game which in turn should give a good score. I played AIQ that way until just recently which drove me a bit nuts with the rules. I would feel like the game was wasted if I started Thor multiball before starting a mode, even on the first ball. For the most part I would spin the disc and shoot the gauntlet to start a mode to collect gems and that's it. After installing the Comic code this weekend, I just "played" the game. I didn't worry to much about where I was shooting, I just shot around. What I found was I enjoyed the game much more than letting the rules consume me during gameplay. I also realized the disc is hit so often from missed shots that the portal is often open without trying. I started to play the game as what was available to me to start, rather than a methodical 1. spin disc 2. get Thor ready 3. start mode 4. start multiball 5. etc. I played a couple of games last night and ended up making it through all the gems collecting all but one and losing one to Thanos. I know it's not a good score for the people that do know how to make all the rules work in their favor, but I got my personal best of just under 900 million. I had this game on the market, but I think I'm going to keep it a bit longer. I just thought I would share this for those of you that may be letting the rules govern too much of your play style.

+1 I've found it is a lot more fun to "go with the flow" of the game rather than focus intensely on strategic steps. The best games are those that do both, of course, but the strategic steps just become opportunities you seize as they present themselves. Sounds like you had one of those games last night. Congrats!

FWIW: In general, I place more of an emphasis on getting to more modes and fun stuff deep into a code than the points accrued along the way. With AIQ, I put more emphasis on just the flow from shot to shot. AIQ is the most visceral game I've ever played. And its athleticism is its own reward when you get in a good flow.

#12266 4 months ago

The way you can go from 2 portal locks gem mode, add in Thor, plus add a ball to one or no balls in play amazes me every time

#12267 4 months ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

The way you can go from 2 portal locks gem mode, add in Thor, plus add a ball to one or no balls in play amazes me every time

Couldn't agree more.

#12268 4 months ago
Quoted from pixelpete:

Understandably some may say too many lights on each ramp and orbit but it makes it easier to teach new players where to shoot and ramps are loosely color matched to the avenger.
[quoted image]

I agree. I have ramp and drop lights too, and anything that makes a new player want to play another game right after the first, is a win. Teaching them easily where to shoot is part of getting them to that “ahah” moment where they realize, “I can control this.”

#12269 4 months ago

Does anyone know where I can find these speaker inserts in the States? Specifically looking for the gold acrylic.

8E03C17B-6103-4244-BC3D-7F2B8F10B6AA (resized).jpeg8E03C17B-6103-4244-BC3D-7F2B8F10B6AA (resized).jpeg
#12270 4 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Does anyone know where I can find these speaker inserts in the States? Specifically looking for the gold acrylic.[quoted image]

http://speakerlightkits.com/Acrylic-Designs.html

#12271 4 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Does anyone know where I can find these speaker inserts in the States? Specifically looking for the gold acrylic.[quoted image]

I have a strong distaste for most mods, but that looks pretty sharp.

#12272 4 months ago

hi guys, was hoping for some help with my walking lock.

I got this game NIB over the summer by a trade and I love it, but it was from the very first run of games and it seems to need the updated lock mech.

Seems like as the ball walks it hits that last tooth and bumps it down and into the mech causing it to walk slightly past the opto, making the game freak out.

I see pinball life has the mech for 250$, do I need to just bite the bullet and shell out, change the setting to bypass the subway, or am I wishfully thinking that stern might just send me the updated mech cheaper or even free?

Id imagine one would normally just call the distro, not really an option for me.

IMG_20231104_181140510 (resized).jpgIMG_20231104_181140510 (resized).jpg
#12273 4 months ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

hi guys, was hoping for some help with my walking lock.
I got this game NIB over the summer by a trade and I love it, but it was from the very first run of games and it seems to need the updated lock mech.
Seems like as the ball walks it hits that last tooth and bumps it down and into the mech causing it to walk slightly past the opto, making the game freak out.
I see pinball life has the mech for 250$, do I need to just bite the bullet and shell out, change the setting to bypass the subway, or am I wishfully thinking that stern might just send me the updated mech cheaper or even free?
Id imagine one would normally just call the distro, not really an option for me.
[quoted image]

I’d say option 1 would be to contact Stern support. Worst that could happen is they just say it’s out of warranty, so might as well try there first.

If they do say “no” then you have a couple options. One is to buy the replacement and the other is to try to fix yours. There have been a couple good fix methods I’ve seen posted in here before. Both seem good, reliable, and relatively easy. Here are a couple links:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/149#post-6357961

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/161#post-6483649

If all else fails, then you can just set the subway to pass through.

#12274 4 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I’d say option 1 would be to contact Stern support. Worst that could happen is they just say it’s out of warranty.

They replaced my BKSOR playfield at 18 mos, and I was owner #3. It's always worth checking with them.

#12275 3 months ago

On my seemingly-infinite quest (heh) to dial in my AIQ Pro, I think I’ve settled at 6.8° being the sweet spot angle, and I’ve leveled out the spinning disc, but I’ve still got one more big challenge:

The auto-plunge usually doesn’t make it around and up the ramp to the right flipper return, even at full strength. Even a full plunge from the orange-springed shooter rod doesn't always do it. The pinballs are new and demagnetized, and I can’t find any obstructions in the ball’s path. The auto plunger bracket appears to be straight, too. Any ideas what to check for next?

#12276 3 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

The auto-plunge usually doesn’t make it around and up the ramp to the right flipper return, even at full strength. Even a full plunge from the orange-springed shooter rod doesn't always do it. The pinballs are new and demagnetized, and I can’t find any obstructions in the ball’s path. The auto plunger bracket appears to be straight, too. Any ideas what to check for next?

I had the same problem on mine and never figured it out. I changed to a red manual plunger spring which usually would make it all the way around. The one solution for the autoplunger that seems to work is to replace the coil with a stronger one, but I didn't try to go that far.

I didn't try too hard to fix it because I think the autoplunger failing to make it and going into the bumpers instead is actually an advantage for gameplay. You get easy Captain America leveling during any multiball, and sometimes a free kick up the pops orbit. For any autoplunge where you do want it to go all the way around (like after a portal lock on the premium, or a drain during the soul gem mode), quickly grab the manual plunger and shoot it that way.

#12277 3 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

On my seemingly-infinite quest (heh) to dial in my AIQ Pro, I think I’ve settled at 6.8° being the sweet spot angle, and I’ve leveled out the spinning disc, but I’ve still got one more big challenge:

Take slow motion video of some auto plunges and look to see what's happening. That will give you the best way to see what's happening on your machine so you can then think of ideas for how to adjust it. My guess is that the ball isn't entering the orbit cleanly and is rattling off the ball guide, causing it to lose speed and not make it around.

When I took video on mine I saw that the ball was veering left as it travelled up the shooter lane and was hitting the left orbit ball guide as it entered the orbit, so I propped the shooter lane up a bit under the left side to keep the ball more centered as it went into the orbit. Never had a problem with it after that.

#12278 3 months ago

Stern agreed to cover my walking lock under warranty!

Thanks guys, I wasnt even going to try.

#12279 3 months ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Stern agreed to cover my walking lock under warranty!
Thanks guys, I wasnt even going to try.

Awesome! I've found their support to be really good on stuff like this.

#12280 3 months ago

spoke too soon lol

not in stock at the moment, and they arent making AIQ anymore, right?

I can live with the subway on pass-through while I wait with crossed fingers.

#12281 3 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

There's a lot in here (and really in other Stern owners threads) about shooter lane adjustments and tweaks and theories. Probably best summed up in this key'd post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/145#post-6332227

My conclusions have generally been given the slop in the Stern auto-launch mech and the slight variances in games in terms of pitch / level / construction, the Stern launcher is never going to be perfect & the games that have a longer launch travel path are going to be the ones where this will be more noticeable. The red spring did make my old Pro pretty reliable on manual launches at least. Auto-launches depended on very minute differences in playfield cleanliness/wax, the general mood of Thanos and the game at the time, and the current picture of sunspot activity in the solar system.

#12282 3 months ago

Started like crap and ended like a god:
-Ball one. I reach the Soul Gem Quest. I NAIL the first 7 shots pretty quickly and have 40ish flips left. I am king of pinball.
-25 flips later, I make that final shot. I feel like a turd.

...but then, magic happens. I'm not focusing on gems at all, but hitting whatever feels sweet at the time. The multiballs are going forever. And for the first time I reach Black Order Battle Royale! I'm best at making shots on the fly, so I think this should be right up my alley. I'm pretty sure I'm nailing most of them but it's a new mode so I'm hoping I'm doing it right. I look up, and while Hulk has taken a few hits the enemy I'm battling has almost full health. WTF? So I keep playing, and I keep hitting "the correct" shots but start to question myself. I look up again, and the enemy energy is down -maybe- halfway. Hulk is almost dead. I realize this is a lost cause, and the mode clearly requires a thousand shots to finish. But then my flippers die, the ball drains, and I realize I beat it. Apparently WITH ONLY HULK.

I AM KING AGAIN!

So I made a new GC score (1.3B), and had a blast doing it.

I make this sort of post not to brag, but to show not matter how crappy you think your game is going, KEEP GOING!

And, on a side note, if you're like me and hate cradling and never do it during gameplay you'll often be lost like me but enjoy the journey

#12283 3 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

And for the first time I reach Black Order Battle Royale! I'm best at making shots on the fly, so I think this should be right up my alley. I'm pretty sure I'm nailing most of them but it's a new mode so I'm hoping I'm doing it right. I look up, and while Hulk has taken a few hits the enemy I'm battling has almost full health. WTF? So I keep playing, and I keep hitting "the correct" shots but start to question myself. I look up again, and the enemy energy is down -maybe- halfway. Hulk is almost dead. I realize this is a lost cause, and the mode clearly requires a thousand shots to finish. But then my flippers die, the ball drains, and I realize I beat it. Apparently WITH ONLY HULK.
I AM KING AGAIN!

For Battle Royale, you beat five villains, each one has their own health bar. Each takes 6 shots (unless you get the Wasp add-a-ball for double damage while it's in play, by shooting Ant-man twice.)

You take damage in two ways, based on time and after spending a certain number of flips. Each of those are replenished each time you beat one of the five villains, so if you're quick at making all the shots yes you can sail all the way through without damage. Also the Captain Marvel shot pauses the timer and the Vision drop targets add flips.

#12284 3 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Started like crap and ended like a god:
-Ball one. I reach the Soul Gem Quest. I NAIL the first 7 shots pretty quickly and have 40ish flips left. I am king of pinball.
-25 flips later, I make that final shot. I feel like a turd.
...but then, magic happens. I'm not focusing on gems at all, but hitting whatever feels sweet at the time. The multiballs are going forever. And for the first time I reach Black Order Battle Royale! I'm best at making shots on the fly, so I think this should be right up my alley. I'm pretty sure I'm nailing most of them but it's a new mode so I'm hoping I'm doing it right. I look up, and while Hulk has taken a few hits the enemy I'm battling has almost full health. WTF? So I keep playing, and I keep hitting "the correct" shots but start to question myself. I look up again, and the enemy energy is down -maybe- halfway. Hulk is almost dead. I realize this is a lost cause, and the mode clearly requires a thousand shots to finish. But then my flippers die, the ball drains, and I realize I beat it. Apparently WITH ONLY HULK.
I AM KING AGAIN!
I make this sort of post not to brag, but to show not matter how crappy you think your game is going, KEEP GOING!
And, on a side note, if you're like me and hate cradling and never do it during gameplay you'll often be lost like me but enjoy the journey

Yup. A few days ago, I rolled an abysmal <100m on ball 1 and 2, and ended up 1 shot away from fighting Thanos at 1.6B.

#12285 3 months ago

AIQ will do that because of all the extra balls. There's six at similar distances from the start button: three bullseye completions, computer grid line, second Hawkeye challenge, 12 Marvel shots, 8 trophies, 50 combos. Once you start getting one or two of those, it tends to snowball into most or all of them. AIQ is almost really an 8 ball game once you get going so draining the first 1-2 might not be so bad.

#12286 3 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

AIQ will do that because of all the extra balls. There's six at similar distances from the start button: three bullseye completions, computer grid line, second Hawkeye challenge, 12 Marvel shots, 8 trophies, 50 combos. Once you start getting one or two of those, it tends to snowball into most or all of them. AIQ is almost really an 8 ball game once you get going so draining the first 1-2 might not be so bad.

mmm thanks for putting that down so clearly. I’m so lazy when it comes to reading the manual.

Here’s a question that maybe you know. I recently fought and killed Thanos with 5 gems. I obviously did not get the 1B bonus.

Kept playing though, and acquired the last gem via something (probably master Hawkeye), but ended up draining 1 shot away from fighting Thanos again (how tf, the portal was open!)

If I’d have started that second fight with all 6 gems, would I have snagged the 1B bonus as well, since I didn’t get it the first time?

#12287 3 months ago
Quoted from greben0ts:

mmm thanks for putting that down so clearly. I’m so lazy when it comes to reading the manual.
Here’s a question that maybe you know. I recently fought and killed Thanos with 5 gems. I obviously did not get the 1B bonus.
Kept playing though, and acquired the last gem via something (probably master Hawkeye), but ended up draining 1 shot away from fighting Thanos again (how tf, the portal was open!)
If I’d have started that second fight with all 6 gems, would I have snagged the 1B bonus as well, since I didn’t get it the first time?

You never beat Thanos twice in the same game. Once you beat him once, he's done. (I don't remember what happens if you lose the Battle Thanos mode, if you can play it again at all.)

(This is also assuming you're not confusing Thanos Attacks with Battle Thanos. You can win each of those separately.)

If the portal is open after winning Battle Thanos, it's for one of the following things: do a gem quest that you still don't have (must possess the Soul Gem to retry one you already failed), do a portal lock (only allowed if there is any gem you still don't have), one of the Avengers Assembled modes (after the three of them ending with Battle Royale, they loop back around to Soul Gem the fourth time you assemble the avengers), one of the wizard modes (Computer Frenzy or Trophy Mania), or if none of that applies then the portal collects an avenger.

#12288 3 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

You never beat Thanos twice in the same game. Once you beat him once, he's done. (I don't remember what happens if you lose the Battle Thanos mode, if you can play it again at all.)
(This is also assuming you're not confusing Thanos Attacks with Battle Thanos. You can win each of those separately.)
If the portal is open after winning Battle Thanos, it's for one of the following things: do a gem quest that you still don't have (must possess the Soul Gem to retry one you already failed), do a portal lock (only allowed if there is any gem you still don't have), one of the Avengers Assembled modes (after the three of them ending with Battle Royale, they loop back around to Soul Gem the fourth time you assemble the avengers), one of the wizard modes (Computer Frenzy or Trophy Mania), or if none of that applies then the portal collects an avenger.

So opening the portal after killing Thanos starts one of the wizard modes.

In my case, I opened it once after killing Thanos to start quest to collect Space gem, using Soul Gem, and then opened another time afterwards, but didn’t actually start the wizard mode afterwards. Bummer!

Now that I’m getting quite a bit better at this game, I think I might need to start looking up more advanced strategies.

My standard is:
Mind as soon as I have 2 portal locks (I’m convinced this is the highest scoring potential of any gem quest).
If not 2 locks, then Power.
Then Soul.
Reality as soon as I have 2 more locks.
Time if I have 1 or 0 locks.
Space if I have 0 locks.

I’m beginning to think though, if I pick up space early, I can really push a lot of mind gem uses out of it.

So I dunno. Still having fun, and still have a ways to go to get to consistent 2B+

#12289 3 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Quoted from greben0ts:

In my case, I opened it once after killing Thanos to start quest to collect Space gem, using Soul Gem, and then opened another time afterwards, but didn’t actually start the wizard mode afterwards. Bummer!
Now that I’m getting quite a bit better at this game, I think I might need to start looking up more advanced strategies.
My standard is:
Mind as soon as I have 2 portal locks (I’m convinced this is the highest scoring potential of any gem quest).
Then Soul.
Space if I have 0 locks.
I’m beginning to think though, if I pick up space early, I can really push a lot of mind gem uses out of it.
So I dunno. Still having fun, and still have a ways to go to get to consistent 2B+

Yes, if you lose to Thanos in Battle Thanos, you can fight him again. As vikingerik said, you can only defeat him once per game.

Once you have all of the gems you can collect and beat Battle Thanos, getting portal locks to collect Avengers can wrap you back around to the Avengers Assembled modes much easier than trying to re-collect them all again and again.

It is also possible to get to the wizard modes before getting to Battle Thanos...

#12290 3 months ago
Quoted from greben0ts:

My standard is:
Then Soul.
Space if I have 0 locks.

I’ve had the game for a few weeks I’m still trying to get to Battle Thanos more than points right now, my strategy so far has been.

Mind gem first no locks maybe bring in Thor it seems pretty simple to get through in single ball except the final blow that Sanctum also seems so hard when you need it. Put this on BW

Then usually power with a portal lock from combos, try to put this on Cap or Panther.

Soul gem with hopefully 3 mind gem shots.

Reality with 2 locks at this point mostly for points.

Then work on Time and space if I can survive that long.

After soul I try to switch power to cap or panther whoever didn’t have it since the other is already collected and get that one quickly again.

If anyone has suggestions I’m all ears. I really do dig the strategy of this game if you want to go for points or progress.

#12291 3 months ago
Quoted from greben0ts:

No, the portal opens for whatever you did to open it. Could be a portal lock, or a gem quest, or avengers-assembled mode. It'll start a wizard mode if you qualified that wizard mode.

Quoted from greben0ts:

Technically true, since it's unlimited, you could spin the disc infinitely if you can keep hitting it fast enough. Although realistically the Reality Gem is usually the highest most of the time. The one that can go really huge (a billion) with a lot of work on the setup is Space Gem, because all its scoring is concentrated on one shot (the left orbit), so you can put the Reality Gem there to multiply all that.

But starting with Mind is perfectly good, it helps the most towards winning other gems of course.

Quoted from greben0ts:

Don't do this (well, try it if you like but you'll see.) I tried this too when I got my AIQ, and it just doesn't work at all. The Mind Gem just lands on a useless location more often than not, and then you don't have Space Gem charges to move it again. By the time you go through all that... you could have just directly shot whatever you were trying to use the Mind Gem for.

Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Mind gem first no locks maybe bring in Thor it seems pretty simple to get through in single ball except the final blow that Sanctum also seems so hard when you need it. Put this on BW
Then usually power with a portal lock from combos, try to put this on Cap or Panther.
Soul gem with hopefully 3 mind gem shots.
Reality with 2 locks at this point mostly for points.
Then work on Time and space if I can survive that long.
After soul I try to switch power to cap or panther whoever didn’t have it since the other is already collected and get that one quickly again.
If anyone has suggestions I’m all ears. I really do dig the strategy of this game if you want to go for points or progress.

This all is pretty much what I do, this is pretty close to optimal. Although I go for the two portal locks for just about each and every gem quest. I generally leave Power on Panther, since the other effect of the gem is keeping the avenger leveled-up when you drain, and Panther has the best level-1 power, of longer combo timers, to get those portal locks.

#12292 3 months ago

LOL @ all the folks talking about battling Thanos multiple times in a game and getting 2B+ points... My best so far was 546M, with two gems collected + two gem battles lost, and almost made it to Black Order MB but drained the last ball before I could make the shot. That was still a real thrill, tho, as most of my games are <100M pts. Jumped up and down, even. I know I have far to go. Only had AIQ for like 3 weeks so far. Soul gem challenge destroys me.

Are portal locks generally only obtained through spinning the disc? I know mystery can grant them, but that shot is tough for me to hit when it’s lit.

#12293 3 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

LOL @ all the folks talking about battling Thanos multiple times in a game and getting 2B+ points... My best so far was 546M, with two gems collected + two gem battles lost, and almost made it to Black Order MB but drained the last ball before I could make the shot. That was still a real thrill, tho, as most of my games are <100M pts. Jumped up and down, even. I know I have far to go. Only had AIQ for like 3 weeks so far. Soul gem challenge destroys me.
Are portal locks generally only obtained through spinning the disc? I know mystery can grant them, but that shot is tough for me to hit when it’s lit.

Keep on playing! Find your favorite shot; and master it—mine is hulk! I remember when I was hard stuck trying to break 100m. And then I hit another peak at 216m, and then after that, I was stuck at 276m for a month. And all that was on 5 ball!

And 656m was a long one too. I switched to 3 ball after that. Then the dreaded 912m that I was stuck on for soooo long. I didn’t break 1B for a while. But about that time I started getting 1B games maybe 1 out of every 10 plays.

Several months later, I was pushing close to winning just about every few games, and pretty consistently get close to a billion, or much higher.

But that road was long and rewarding. Seems like you are well on your way too!

To answer your question, I just focus on combos to get portal locks. I’d say it’s the main way to keep the balls alive. More multi balls just snowballs the game.

Eventually, you will get soul gem every time. It’s really fun. My strategy for that is to obviously get mind gem first. If I have it, I’ll smack it for the very first shot, since BP is my worst shot, and it lets me hit the next 2 shots without trouble.

Otherwise, I’ll either shoot widow or upwards nudge first, depending on my mood.

#12294 3 months ago
Quoted from bwalter:

Spinning the disc never earns a portal lock. Spinning the disc opens the portal to begin the next quest. Mystery never earns a portal lock either.

Portal locks are earned by shooting combos, the secret skill shot (plunge to the upper end of the Hawkeye loop), Hawkeye Challenge (once), or from the computer grid (once). Once earned, shoot the portal to collect the portal lock. If you earn more than two portal locks, any extras will wait until the next gem quest.

#12295 3 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Spinning the disc never earns a portal lock. Spinning the disc opens the portal to begin the next quest. Mystery never earns a portal lock either.
Portal locks are earned by shooting combos, the secret skill shot (plunge to the upper end of the Hawkeye loop), Hawkeye Challenge (once), or from the computer grid (once). Once earned, shoot the portal to collect the portal lock. If you earn more than two portal locks, any extras will wait until the next gem quest.

Spinning the disc is how a portal lock is collected on a pro.

#12296 3 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Spinning the disc is how a portal lock is collected on a pro.

Right, which is why I made the distinction between earning the portal lock (never involves the disc and is probably what the askers care more about) and collecting the portal lock (portal on the premium, disc on the pro.)

#12297 3 months ago

I have this game for nearly a month now. This pin is keep destroying my confidence level. I need to get better.

IMG_3943 (resized).jpegIMG_3943 (resized).jpeg
#12298 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

I have this game for nearly a month now. This pin is keep destroying my confidence level. I need to get better.
[quoted image]

That's hilarious.

Just keep playing. Watch AIQ tutorials on YouTube. Make sure you wax your PF often and have flippers tip top. If you get too many outlane drains, consider raising the pitch of the PF a little.

This game was tough for me the first 20 plays or so. Then gradually, with focus on accuracy and strategy, see improvement and hit ceilings that then take more games to push through. You'll get there. My 10 yr old son went from "rage quitting" each game to it now being his favorite game. And he's now better at it than me, LoL.

#12299 3 months ago

the key to my billion+ games are flipper coil fans, and nudging the game up through my wall any time the ball went in the outlane's direction.

#12300 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

[quoted image]

I'm right there with ya, buddy. Playing at 6.8° helps with the outlane drains, and I leveled the disc somewhat to help with air balls, but I’m still getting laughed at by the soul gem. We’ll get there eventually!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
6,995 (Firm)
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
There are 12,598 posts in this topic. You are on page 246 of 252.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/246?hl=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.