04.jpg
03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
IMG_1031 (resized).JPG
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
36863FBC-80B4-44C0-BAA5-628E16C6A2D9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,722 posts in this topic. You are on page 200 of 255.
#9951 1 year ago
Quoted from BrandonLaw:

I know Stern frequents this thread and those things are all software and will progress as time goes on. Game is still a great seller and attractive in all settings (HUO, Arcade, Bars, Ect.) so the updates/progression will hopefully continue.

To improve the callouts I'd guess they'd have to get new/additional voice work done and I'm guessing that won't happen. They used the Marvel voice actors for the callouts which I think was definitely a cool idea for the theme of the pin. I like the idea and the choice they made on it. I just think it didn't quite end up working out as good as it could have because those voice actors delivered their lines in a similar way they'd do it for their show instead of hitting it with more energy/attitude for a pinball game callout.

#9952 1 year ago
Quoted from petrieslastword:

Just to compare the two pro models, Deadpool has the little Deadpool that you get to bash with the drop targets right in front of it, The awesome looking katana ramp with the physical ball locks, a light up chimichanga truck in the background, an acrylic standee Deadpool in a hammock that swings when you hit the ramp, and fun acrylic stand-ups for all the major allies in the game and a scoop + 2 spinners and 10 standup targets and a skillshot mechanic at the top of the playfield that gives even a novice a 25% chance of hitting the skillshot by luck alone, which is more exciting.
AIQ Pro has The sling disc, a stand-up target to start modes at the sanctum, The Avengers Tower with the magnet at the top plus an upper flipper, a captive ball for Thor, and two spinners plus the crappy plastic gauntlet display and a much less interesting mechanic for its drop targets for a novice Plus the Hawkeye targets and the Ant-Man target. It feels like anyone claiming stern didn't cheap out on the toys on this one is being a bit disingenuous. The pro really has nothing for the casual or novice player.
When I'm saying AIQ is boring I'm saying this with regard to a novice player playing it on location, and the chance that it is then a pinball they would look into owning. When my casual friends have gotten to try Deadpool on location it's a machine they've asked me about the cost of and such. With AIQ that was never the case. It's an amazing shooting machine that's a lot of fun to play, but it's not fun or interesting to a casual player at all, and the mediocre sound package does it no favors. Just some acrylic standees for the various Avengers would have gone along way to make it more interesting visually to a casual player.

So after listing all the “toys” on DeadPool and AIQ they pretty much seem the same…both have a few interactive mechanisms. AIQ has a spinner/disk, tower, drops…DP has a katana ramp and drops. So actually AIQ has one more interactive toy than DP. Some people love toys(stagnant characters/figures)on their pins and that’s fine but I much rather have Stern use more of the BOM on code or interactive toys rather than stagnant toys/plastic figures. I also believe most beginners to pinball seem to enjoy a bash toy on the playfield since it’s usually a easy shot and makes you feel like you’re doing something cool. When I use to have a Metallica pro all my non-pinball friends loved it because they could bash Sparky and feel like they accomplished something. The cool thing is that no matter what style of gameplay you like(or skill level you’re at)you have multiple pins to choose from. AIQ could definitely use a few more callouts that get your attention but who knows if Stern/Keith are still working on AIQ’s code.

#9953 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

To improve the callouts I'd guess they'd have to get new/additional voice work done and I'm guessing that won't happen. They used the Marvel voice actors for the callouts which I think was definitely a cool idea for the theme of the pin. I like the idea and the choice they made on it. I just think it didn't quite end up working out as good as it could have because those voice actors delivered their lines in a similar way they'd do it for their show instead of hitting it with more energy/attitude for a pinball game callout.

True, but there are other ways to create cool moments: Large sound effects / explosions, light-shows (dimmed lighting, strobing, fading or pulsing), or mechanical (e.g. firing all of the coils as in destroying the ring in LOTR).

#9954 1 year ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

So after listing all the “toys” on DeadPool and AIQ they pretty much seem the same…both have a few interactive mechanisms. AIQ has a spinner/disk, tower, drops…DP has a katana ramp and drops. So actually AIQ has one more interactive toy than DP. Some people love toys(stagnant characters/figures)on their pins and that’s fine but I much rather have Stern use more of the BOM on code or interactive toys rather than stagnant toys/plastic figures. I also believe most beginners to pinball seem to enjoy a bash toy on the playfield since it’s usually a easy shot and makes you feel like you’re doing something cool. When I use to have a Metallica pro all my non-pinball friends loved it because they could bash Sparky and feel like they accomplished something. The cool thing is that no matter what style of gameplay you like(or skill level you’re at)you have multiple pins to choose from. AIQ could definitely use a few more callouts that get your attention but who knows if Stern/Keith are still working on AIQ’s code.

If you think those 2 things are equal I think we're just using "toys" a bit differently here. There's a lot of cool shots on AIQ but there's not a whole lot of fun stuff going on or to look at on the play field. It's the exact opposite of Deadpool which is chock full.

I think all of us pinheads recognize what a cool thing the spin disc is, but your average consumer isn't going to see it that way. I think it's hard sometimes for those of us that are hardcore about this stuff to put our minds in that of the average player, but there has to be some reason that AIQ doesn't seem to move as quickly as the other pins stern currently is producing. It's something I've seen with most dealers I've checked out.

Perhaps "toys" is just the wrong term. Maybe I mean production value or something.

#9955 1 year ago

Fed Ex was supposed to ship my Pro today and then the status switch to Pending. I’m not sure what happened, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to make it today. No communication. I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with Fed Ex. I have my own company that ships out mostly UPS around the US. It seems people in the North East USA prefer Fed Ex. However, they suck in California.

#9956 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I think it comes down to AIQ not having enough emotion or those big pinball moments in games when you know you just did something big.

Yeah, this is it, there's no big moments. Winning a gem should yell out a huge "GEM VICTORY!" fanfare. Instead what you get is a "final blow" display for two seconds that you can easily miss, and a confusing aftermath where you still have to make two more shots to collect and place the gem.

The big moments aren't emotional, they're all mathematical. The big moments are when you set up a big Soul Gem jackpot or shield bonus or Binary hurryup or combo jackpot, with some combination of powered-up avengers and gem placements. That's what the depth of the game is about, and what the game is designed to be doing... but it's really obtuse and tangential compared to what the main progression of the gems should be. Winning a gem should be the big accomplishment to celebrate, not just one step out of five more convoluted sequences to make it do something useful. Each gem should do something big *right when you get it*, not just modify stuff for later.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I personally don't get the "no energy" thing at all, but the stacking being confusing I find myself. There's always a countdown going on I have no idea what it is. Probably using the characters voice should be telling me but it's still like; "Whatever."

Those countdowns are either one of the Super modes started from the computer grid, or the timer for a tower super jackpot during Iron Man multiball. Neither is really important for gameplay (although super modes can earn a trophy), they're just a few million points. There are no countdowns for the gem quests, even though that's what anyone would immediately assume it is. The countdowns have nothing to do with which character is speaking, that's just random.

#9957 1 year ago

I'm having trouble installing the Tower mod. The issue is that the mod tower" pin doesn't seem to line up with any of the pins on the machine. Am I "missing" something? Could they have installed a new type of pin/. My Advengers is one month old. Also, I'm having difficulty determining which pin of the game needs to be removed. See photos.

IMG_1413 (resized).jpegIMG_1413 (resized).jpegIMG_1414 (resized).jpegIMG_1414 (resized).jpegIMG_1415 (resized).jpegIMG_1415 (resized).jpeg
#9958 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

For a casual fan, all that isn't even as interesting as bashing AFM's saucer or MM's castle.

Literally bursted out laughing when I read this line! I have a good friend that does EXACTLY this, LOL!

#9959 1 year ago
Quoted from A_J_B:

Literally bursted out laughing when I read this line! I have a good friend that does EXACTLY this, LOL!

From a design perspective, it's actually a really smart move if you can concede that these machines are built to make money on location and not sit in home game rooms to obsess over.

If you offer some straight up the middle shots that novices can hammer away at and feel like they are making progress, you can get them to come back and spend some more quarters. That's probably why MM is one of the most popular machines of all times. In a few shots up the middle you can trigger castle to flap around like a wounded chicken and make a big fanfare like you just beat the game.

On AIQ you have to make how many varied shots before the game kinda goes "Meh... Make a few more shots"?

#9960 1 year ago

For those who are new or haven't tried it,
I highly recommend you check out the spider sound and video mod.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-infinity-quest-spider-soundmod

#9961 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

On AIQ you have to make how many varied shots before the game kinda goes "Meh... Make a few more shots"?

Yeah the most exciting parts of the game are the Iron Man and Thor malty balls in my opinion, and for me those were only made exciting when I installed the movie sound package instead of the stock one.

In reality getting one of the infinity gems should be in insanely rewarding and celebrated game-changing experience. Most of the gems don't feel like the insanely powerful tools that they should be.

Quoted from The-Hum:

For those who are new or haven't tried it,
I highly recommend you check out the spider sound and video mod.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-infinity-quest-spider-soundmod

i can't imagine keeping this machine without this mod. It's more important than anything else you can change on AIQ.

#9962 1 year ago

Has anyone has this experience? I put on Titan low-bounce silicon rubbers, and then my left flipper can't make the Captain Marvel ramp from a catch.

It's definitely this rubber causing it. If I switch back to the original rubber, the flipper makes the ramp fine. Playfield is at 6.5 degrees by a digital readout. It's not a problem with flipper strength, I replaced the coil stops and sleeves, and it hits every other steep shot fine. The behavior is the same with or without a lexan barrier on the left side of the Marvel ramp entrance. Making the Marvel ramp from a rolling shot is more consistent than from a catch, but still less consistent with the Titan rubber than the original.

I think the cause is ball spin - the ball needs some clockwise sidespin to grab and climb the outer wall of the Marvel ramp. The original rubber applies more spin than the Titan. A rolling shot picks up more spin (with either rubber) for a better shot at making it.

Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions for other flipper rubbers that are good with control and can also apply the bit of sidespin that seems needed?

#9963 1 year ago

I guess just use real rubber?

#9964 1 year ago
Quoted from A330FOATL:

I'm having trouble installing the Tower mod. The issue is that the mod tower" pin doesn't seem to line up with any of the pins on the machine. Am I "missing" something? Could they have installed a new type of pin/. My Advengers is one month old. Also, I'm having difficulty determining which pin of the game needs to be removed. See photos.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Look harder it’s there. I have a new run and installed it fine.

#9965 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Has anyone has this experience? I put on Titan low-bounce silicon rubbers, and then my left flipper can't make the Captain Marvel ramp from a catch.
It's definitely this rubber causing it. If I switch back to the original rubber, the flipper makes the ramp fine. Playfield is at 6.5 degrees by a digital readout. It's not a problem with flipper strength, I replaced the coil stops and sleeves, and it hits every other steep shot fine. The behavior is the same with or without a lexan barrier on the left side of the Marvel ramp entrance. Making the Marvel ramp from a rolling shot is more consistent than from a catch, but still less consistent with the Titan rubber than the original.
I think the cause is ball spin - the ball needs some clockwise sidespin to grab and climb the outer wall of the Marvel ramp. The original rubber applies more spin than the Titan. A rolling shot picks up more spin (with either rubber) for a better shot at making it.
Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions for other flipper rubbers that are good with control and can also apply the bit of sidespin that seems needed?

That seems backwards. Titans usually add way more spin to the ball. They are more "sticky" (i.e. greater coefficient of static friction) than regular rubber rings, which is why it is easier to trap up using them.

Have you cleaned and waxed recently?

#9966 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I have the pinball life perfect plays on mine currently and they feel great. No issues making any of the shots

#9967 1 year ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I have the pinball life perfect plays on mine currently and they feel great. No issues making any of the shots

I think pinball life sells "Super Bands", and they are made out of urethane, right?

I tried some of those on my DP. They seemed almost too slippery, and made ball control more difficult for me.

#9968 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Quoted from bigguybbr:

That seems backwards. Titans usually add way more spin to the ball. They are more "sticky" (i.e. greater coefficient of static friction) than regular rubber rings, which is why it is easier to trap up using them.

I have the pinball life perfect plays on mine currently and they feel great, no issues making any shots. No issues making any of the shots

Quoted from bigguybbr:

I think pinball life sells "Super Bands", and they are made out of urethane, right?
I tried some of those on my DP. They seemed almost too slippery, and made ball control more difficult for me.

I prefer the Pinball Life Perfect Play silicone flipper rubbers as they seem to act more like regular rubber to me and have no issues making any shots. I do clean (flipper rubbers as well!) and wax the playfield pretty regularly. I think if anything the silicone rubbers do put more spin on the ball. I've never tried Titan, but have been told they are very similar to the Perfect Play rubbers. Not sure on the 'low bounce' variety though.

I do use Super Bands for the upper left flipper since they are polyurethane and can take a beating and still last a long time. I also like the Super Bands for post sleeves and small rings.

#9969 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The Titans don't feel that way to me - they feel slicker than Stern's standard rubbers, they seem shinier and harder. It's hard to tell for sure, but it feels like they impart less spin, like if a soft shot or tap pass comes back to a flipper, it's spinning less than with standard rubber. Less spin is good in general, but it seems like some is needed to grab and climb the Captain Marvel ramp wall.

I've been cleaning almost obsessively (almost every play session), though haven't waxed.

#9970 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

My experience with regular rubber is that shots to Marvel with spin on the ball have less chance of making it. Maybe it’s the opposite of what you’re thinking and the ones you’re using are adding spin that’s making it more difficult?

#9971 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I use Titan low bounce and I have no issue making the shot from a cradle
I also wax regularly, unsure on your status there.

#9972 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

From a design perspective, it's actually a really smart move if you can concede that these machines are built to make money on location and not sit in home game rooms to obsess over.
If you offer some straight up the middle shots that novices can hammer away at and feel like they are making progress, you can get them to come back and spend some more quarters. That's probably why MM is one of the most popular machines of all times. In a few shots up the middle you can trigger castle to flap around like a wounded chicken and make a big fanfare like you just beat the game.

No, I got it all the way.

My comment was just the fact that we give my buddy large quantities of crap since he does this with MM and doesn't learn the game, LOL! That's all, nothing crazy.

But you make a very good point about the design of machines (pins or otherwise) being on location vice in a home game room!

#9973 1 year ago

Man pitch this thing under 8 and the ball gets stuck all the time ; but the Captain Marvel ramp works like a charm

#9974 1 year ago

I have both DP and AIQ sitting next to each other. DP gets non-stop play and a line queuing whenever we have people over. AIQ does not get a positive response and usually sits until I throw a game on and start explaining all the rules to someone waiting.

I explain to people that DP is like Call of Duty and AIQ is like Skyrim. Both are amazing in their own way but they are complete opposite types of games.

#9975 1 year ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:I have both DP and AIQ sitting next to each other. DP gets non-stop play and a line queuing whenever we have people over. AIQ does not get a positive response and usually sits until I throw a game on and start explaining all the rules to someone waiting.
I explain to people that DP is like Call of Duty and AIQ is like Skyrim. Both are amazing in their own way but they are complete opposite types of games.

I'd say it's a bit more like comparing call of duty to dark souls. Skyrim is a very easy game to get into, but I understand the point you're trying to make.

You're right though that there's just a universal appeal that you would expect the Avengers license to carry, but AIQ somehow really missed the mark on that. Our local location moved on from theirs pretty quickly.

That said I don't think there is a better value to be had long-term for a homeownership pin.

#9976 1 year ago

That said I don't think there is a better value to be had long-term for a homeownership pin.

Couldn't agree more. After a year of ownership I can't imagine not having this machine in my home.

Though I haven't checked the total-plays number (it has to be ridiculously high considering how much my son and I play it), the pin has held up well for the last year with (knock-wood) no repairs/tweaks needed.

#9977 1 year ago

I’m having an issue with my right flipper sticking in the up position. I thought EOS first, but I was able to get it stuck during coil test, power off machine and it remained stuck.

I’ve replaced the coil sleeve and “reseated” the plunger linkage. That seemed to help a little, but looking for other ideas to look out for.

#9978 1 year ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

I’m having an issue with my right flipper sticking in the up position. I thought EOS first, but I was able to get it stuck during coil test, power off machine and it remained stuck.
I’ve replaced the coil sleeve and “reseated” the plunger linkage. That seemed to help a little, but looking for other ideas to look out for.

Stays up with the power off has to be either binding or a broken return spring.

#9979 1 year ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

I have both DP and AIQ sitting next to each other. DP gets non-stop play and a line queuing whenever we have people over. AIQ does not get a positive response and usually sits until I throw a game on and start explaining all the rules to someone waiting.

AIQ has a cool layout that a casual player can enjoy, its not too difficult to make the shots, but the best part of the game, the code, is labyrinthic to the casual player and can really only be enjoyed by someone thats put the time to read the crazy rulesheet and is a above average player to start with that can collect, place and use the gems well.

I can definitely see how people are turned off by the game. It is borderline too complicated.

#9980 1 year ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

Could also be the rear coil stop. Stern has had problems with them. Check to see if the brass insert is loose. At least it is easy to check

#9981 1 year ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

AIQ has a cool layout that a casual player can enjoy, its not too difficult to make the shots, but the best part of the game, the code, is labyrinthic to the casual player and can really only be enjoyed by someone thats put the time to read the crazy rulesheet and is a above average player to start with that can collect, place and use the gems well.
I can definitely see how people are turned off by the game. It is borderline too complicated.

I hear people say this all the time but the game is pretty linear with the main quest. It comes down to spin the sling ring to spell strange to fight villans and advance the game. Sure there is tons of strategy with the gem placement and computer but those are side things to do meant for advanced players. You can literally ignore it and have a great time. Most casuals are not going to walk up and win more than one or two gems.

#9982 1 year ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

Most likely the flipper coil stops. Cheap and easy to replace. Had to replace by 500 games played on both my AIQ and Deadpool. Weak shots and flipper sticking are the usual signs and brass dust in the bottom of the cabinet.

#9983 1 year ago
Quoted from Yodamtu44:

I'm having a similar problem with IMDN. If I do quick flips theres a minor delay in returning back to its position. If I hold for cradle or something, it stays up till the machine vibrates slightly. Stays up with power off and checked to see how freely it moves manually, which feels pretty smooth. Had replaced the coil stop and sleeves but issue remains. Think my next two things to check is the spring and then the end of the rod for mushrooming. I feel its going to be the latter and needs some slight sanding/grinding. When I move that rod through the sleeves with my hand, it feels pretty good but think the coil activation takes it a bit further where it gets caught? Been an issue the past week and getting worse but will have a chance to take a look at this evening.

#9984 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

I'm having a similar problem with IMDN. If I do quick flips theres a minor delay in returning back to its position. If I hold for cradle or something, it stays up till the machine vibrates slightly. Stays up with power off and checked to see how freely it moves manually, which feels pretty smooth. Had replaced the coil stop and sleeves but issue remains. Think my next two things to check is the spring and then the end of the rod for mushrooming. I feel its going to be the latter and needs some slight sanding/grinding. When I move that rod through the sleeves with my hand, it feels pretty good but think the coil activation takes it a bit further where it gets caught? Been an issue the past week and getting worse but will have a chance to take a look at this evening.

The flipper plunger and link are a little more diffcult to change, but not too bad. Also check that you have about a credit card thickness or so from the bottom of the flipper to the top of the flipper bushing on the top of the playfield and it's not binding at all.

#9985 1 year ago

I hear people say this all the time but the game is pretty linear with the main quest. It comes down to spin the sling ring to spell strange to fight villans and advance the game. Sure there is tons of strategy with the gem placement and computer but those are side things to do meant for advanced players. You can literally ignore it and have a great time. Most casuals are not going to walk up and win more than one or two gems.

I don't think you are thinking of a casual player correctly. I have a lot of truly casual players and they can't even grasp what's going on with the gem quests because the game is actually pretty bad at communicating when a quest is finished and such. The game should really yell out something like "gem Quest complete, he was right ramp to collect gem".

It's really not intuitive to a casual audience whatsoever. Casual players don't read rule sheets.

#9986 1 year ago

I've had no issues explaining to friends that come over and none of them play pinball. The card on the machine even has the #1 thing to do listed first. Most are successful in getting a mode started and a multiball. In fact just starting a multiball with 2 shots to Thor is a ton of fun for casuals. Most games are a lot harder to get a multiball started.

In fact, I can't think of one friend who actually started groot multiball on guardians while I owned it. That game scared off casuals real quick with that character selection.

So yeah, I don't see the problem. All the complex stuff is for the better players. At it's core it's pretty simple and it's a cool mech. Everyone loves watching the ball disappear in the portal. If anything, people hate playing with me on the machine because I usually have long play times on this game. That's the biggest turnoff to friends.

#9987 1 year ago

Getting into pinball last year (not really playing but the occasional 1-2 games a year while hanging out in arcades), AIQ was the most approachable for my wife and me. Right away we got to understand the plot and what the basics of the game was. Sure some modes were and still are a pain (i'm looking at you Space Gem), but after an hour or so playing we knew to just stay in Reality and Power, since those were the most direct "hit the flashing ones and win eventually" gems. We couldnt say the same for any of the other 10 pins that arcade had that we tried out over the coming weeks.

#9988 1 year ago

I've had no issues explaining to friends that come over and none of them play pinball. The card on the machine even has the #1 thing to do listed first. Most are successful in getting a mode started and a multiball. In fact just starting a multiball with 2 shots to Thor is a ton of fun for casuals. Most games are a lot harder to get a multiball started.
In fact, I can't think of one friend who actually started groot multiball on guardians while I owned it. That game scared off casuals real quick with that character selection.
So yeah, I don't see the problem. All the complex stuff is for the better players. At it's core it's pretty simple and it's a cool mech. Everyone loves watching the ball disappear in the portal. If anything, people hate playing with me on the machine because I usually have long play times on this game. That's the biggest turnoff to friends.

You're discussing the premium, while the Pro is almost always going to be the model on location and the one primarily being discussed here. It's the unit used to sell to new customers. Every discussion I've had here has been framed around the pro meaning the gauntlet, subway, and marvel ramp aren't part of it.

But what we're really talking about is people who approach the machine casually WITHOUT someone there to explain the nuances. It's a very unfriendly machine for casuals in that context compared to most, and isn't terribly exciting to new players compared to a lot of other Pro models with more exciting toys and features.

#9989 1 year ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

This describes my problem nicely. Quick flips is when it gets stuck. Thanks for the tips. I’ll take a closer look at coil stops, spring and rod itself.

#9990 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Jediturtle did a nice writeup of captain marvel ramp rejects with silicon rubber.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/175#post-6582945

#9991 1 year ago

You're discussing the premium, while the Pro is almost always going to be the model on location and the one primarily being discussed here. It's the unit used to sell to new customers. Every discussion I've had here has been framed around the pro meaning the gauntlet, subway, and marvel ramp aren't part of it.
But what we're really talking about is people who approach the machine casually WITHOUT someone there to explain the nuances. It's a very unfriendly machine for casuals in that context compared to most, and isn't terribly exciting to new players compared to a lot of other Pro models with more exciting toys and features.

I own the pro and I can agree with this. My wife is very much so a casual and she played AIQ once and that was it. The only 2 games my wife played a lot out of the games I have owned was Munsters Le which is known for being a great game for casuals and Willy wonka Le. Now the first time my hardcore pinball friends came over and played AIQ I heard one say I need to buy this game haha.

#9992 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yeah the most exciting parts of the game are the Iron Man and Thor malty balls in my opinion, and for me those were only made exciting when I installed the movie sound package instead of the stock one.
In reality getting one of the infinity gems should be in insanely rewarding and celebrated game-changing experience. Most of the gems don't feel like the insanely powerful tools that they should be.

i can't imagine keeping this machine without this mod. It's more important than anything else you can change on AIQ.

Yes. Movie code helps a lot with the callouts and moments. The first time I assembled the Avengers and saw the clip I got chills.

#9993 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

Yes. Movie code helps a lot with the callouts and moments. The first time I assembled the Avengers and saw the clip I got chills.

Link to code?

#9995 1 year ago

Quoted from Sleal16:

Getting into pinball last year (not really playing but the occasional 1-2 games a year while hanging out in arcades), AIQ was the most approachable for my wife and me. Right away we got to understand the plot and what the basics of the game was. Sure some modes were and still are a pain (i'm looking at you Space Gem), but after an hour or so playing we knew to just stay in Reality and Power, since those were the most direct "hit the flashing ones and win eventually" gems. We couldnt say the same for any of the other 10 pins that arcade had that we tried out over the coming weeks.

Couldn’t agree more. My wife and I tried out @audioenslaved’s LE. Within 2 games we were sold. Wife hates rules. Hated pirates for that reason. Loves AIQ. Raising disc, finishing quests, little fan fair which starts when finishing quests (which I think is brilliant and warms my cockles) all great stuff and easy to follow. 2 easy multiballs. Combos lit up that give you more multiballs, how much reward do you want? We had heard so much complaining about sound and call outs we were expecting the worse. But they are fine to great. It’s not TWD stock call-outs bad. The game builds the mood of battling thanos and saving the universe. It’s serious stuff, even more so than NGG. Great game, love it so much was the first we bought the topper for. My wife and I still only play it to progress, really haven’t started worrying about gem placement except for mind gem. Might start worrying about that later. Ahh fun and longevity in one.

Guess I can’t comment on its success on route nor can I comment on the pro being less rewarding. Found it much more intuitive than GNR.

#9996 1 year ago

Thanks for that pointer. That's pretty much what I'm seeing - silicon flipper bands make the Captain Marvel ramp much harder, and some impact on Panther too.

I believe the cause is the opposite of what he says though. The silicon bands impart *less* spin (because they're harder), and it's that *lack* that hurts the shotmaking. Think about the geometry. A left flipper applies clockwise spin, which helps the Marvel ramp, since as the ball contacts the right wall and roof, clockwise spin will propel it upwards and leftwards. Same goes for the Panther shot, clockwise spin propels upwards while the ball is in contact with the right wall. Mirror image for the Hulk shot (counterclockwise spin from the right flipper) which Jediturtle mentions too. Conversely, the other shots (Widow, Gauntlet, Tower, Captain America) don't involve the ball spending time along a wall, so spin won't matter, and those are the shots that we find aren't affected by different flipper rubber.

All the evidence points to spin as the differentiating factor - but the logic of the geometry points to *less* spin being the culprit, on Marvel primarily and Panther and Hulk secondarily.

I think I'm looking for *softer* flipper rubbers to get more spin for the tough shots - even just for the experiment to see if it works.

#9997 1 year ago

Any tips for how to remove the small quarter inch nylon lock nut at the bottom of the disc assembly so you can pull it out to work on it ? Having trouble finding something to hold onto so I can get the nut started off the post.

#9998 1 year ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

I believe the cause is the opposite of what he says though. The silicon bands impart *less* spin (because they're harder), and it's that *lack* that hurts the shotmaking

Silicone is slightly softer than the black rubber used on games. It has the same hardness (measured with a durometer) as white rubber. You get less spin from black rubber. vid1900 did a post on it years ago

Quoted from vid1900:

A durometer measures the hardness of a material on a scale from 0 to 100. 100 being the hardest.
It says on Titan's web site that the Titan Silicone rubber has a durometer reading of 45.
White Happ rubber ring has a durometer rating of 45.
Black Happ rubber ring has a durometer rating of 50.
A standard rubber band has a durometer rating of 25.

Added 22 months ago:

I double checked. Black rubber rings are 50, while black flipper rubbers are 60 on the durometer, so quite a bit harder than silicone.

#9999 1 year ago

Do you think AIQ is going to get another code update?

I am a new owner and after playing a bit I can think of a few wish-list code changes:

- Space Gem: I wish the Space Gem gave you an extra shot to hit on modes on whatever shot you placed it on. Currently i hate that i never want to get this gem until its the last one. I don't think it would be too unbalanced but it could have a limited # of shots during each mode if that was a concern.

- Thanos Attacks: I wish Thanos Attacks mode kept the gem stealing part but you were safe from draining like Soul Gem mode. When playing the mode it seems like the points aren't worth the danger, and I almost just want to trap up and let him have a gem.

- How many more times do i have to complete Thor?: I wish it was easier to see your current Thor multiball progression after the 1st one. I think it would be easier to see if you filled up partial letters and it always would give you a multi-ball when "Thor" was full. But on this one maybe i'm just not seeing it during play very well.

You guys have any wishlist items?

#10000 1 year ago
Quoted from Maniac227:

Do you think AIQ is going to get another code update?
- Thanos Attacks: I wish Thanos Attacks mode kept the gem stealing part but you were safe from draining like Soul Gem mode. When playing the mode it seems like the points aren't worth the danger, and I almost just want to trap up and let him have a gem.

The points in the mode are pretty solid, I completed it today with 3 gems and got 150 million during the mode.

If they made it easier or similar to Soul Gem, there would be no danger with the mode. The game itself was way too easy to breeze through before they added Thanos Attacks, I think it serves as a good, challenging mid-game point.

If they update the game again I hope they just fix the achievements, I'm happy with everything else. Speaking of which are the Black Order Multiball achievements glitched like the disc spin ones? I just played it, didnt get credit for reaching it and I got a super Jackpot during it, and nothing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Little Rock, AR
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.50
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ghent, WV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,722 posts in this topic. You are on page 200 of 255.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/200?hl=bigguybbr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.