IMG_5446 (resized).jpg
IMG_2764 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2765 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4131 (resized).jpeg
5A7A7C74-85FC-459B-9CF8-443697C2B03A (resized).jpeg
IMG_2505 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,640 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 253.
#5251 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I was complaining about cheap drains for a few reasons: 1) For players that are not me (i.e. my kids, wife, etc.) cheap drains make the game not fun. It's the least played game out of my 10 machines and also the newest. When I ask why I'm told "it's not exciting and I lose the ball easily". So that part of my complaint was for casual players. 2) The cheap outlanes created an enormous amount of randomness. I can play Deadpool, IMDN, or MM and consistently reach the late parts of the game 9 out of 10 times. With Avengers, I'll put up a 10 million, than a billion, than 25 million, than 300 million - because the outlanes created all sorts of randomness - finding consistent play was incredibly difficult.
But after adjusting the pitch, it's not the drain monster it used to be and my play is now consistent. My prior comments about the sound, Thanos Attacks BS, and lack of stuff to do besides gem modes still apply, but the outlanes, thankfully can be fixed with a sharper pitch.

What is your pitch angle?

#5252 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks. It looks like most guides are 1/16” above the playfield. If so, do I still need to add washers or Cliffy protectors?
I also learned something new on these games. I went into switch test and nothing. So I checked all the connectors and such (which I should have done first anyway). Everything is fine. So I pressed in the high power button and the switches worked. Strange that they are on that circuit. But I guess my Deadpool le didn’t have the cutoff when the door opened.

I personally wouldn't take things apart until/unless it was necessary. When I installed my cliffy under Ant Man I was a nervous wreck. Maybe you're more experienced and confident than I am though. I also did the lane protector which some people consider mandatory. I have a protector for the drops as well but I'm waiting for something to happen before messing around with that. My drops on Deadpool were very very finicky so I'm gun shy.

#5253 3 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

I personally wouldn't take things apart until/unless it was necessary. When I installed my cliffy under Ant Man I was a nervous wreck. Maybe you're more experienced and confident than I am though. I also did the lane protector which some people consider mandatory. I have a protector for the drops as well but I'm waiting for something to happen before messing around with that. My drops on Deadpool were very very finicky so I'm gun shy.

I just installed the outlane Cliffy protector and the left and right plunger lane protectors.

I may try to get the Antman Cliffy protector under the lane guide and take off the upper plastic to loosen the post to slide the Cliffy under.

I will change out the 3 flipper rubbers with blue super bands. I have the rest of the super bands, but I think those will wait until I need to add them.

I also have Deadpool LE and decided not to add the 3 bank drop targets there either so I will not install yet on AIQ. I will wait on the flat entrance to the hole on the right and see if it needs it.

I did buy the plastic protectors for the slings and lane guides and will add those as well. I have the Tower Mezel Mod and the Sanctum Mezel Mod to add. Finally I have the game blades. That will take me the rest of the night into tomorrow.

My goal is not to take apart the game. I dislike doing this, especially on a brand new game.

My topper and shooter rod are back ordered until March so I can worry about that later.

#5254 3 years ago

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Why are there two T-nuts with nothing connected to them at the back of the game? Is this a future mod or something that was left off?

For what it's worth, the bottom inside of the cabinet where the coin box goes and around the speaker have sneaker prints on it. I have never had this in any game I have ever owned.

IMG_9106 (resized).jpegIMG_9106 (resized).jpeg
#5255 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Why are there two T-nuts with nothing connected to them at the back of the game? Is this a future mod or something that was left off?
For what it's worth, the bottom inside of the cabinet where the coin box goes and around the speaker have sneaker prints on it. I have never had this in any game I have ever owned. [quoted image]

Ha I never noticed that before. On my IMDN it has a handle there which is great for taking the PF in and out or when you have to lift the entire Pf out of the game it’s handy. Seems like these t-nuts were originally meant for that but perhaps it was costed out...

#5256 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

For what it's worth, the bottom inside of the cabinet where the coin box goes and around the speaker have sneaker prints on it. I have never had this in any game I have ever owned. [quoted image]

Some of the machines have a handle attached there.

#5257 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

That's my exact issue right there, thanks so much for that!
Only difference is, my brass collar popped off on the other side, which is why it impedes the up/down.

I put a dab of super glue on mine and it worked for about 1k games, until it fell out again.
So I put a crap ton of super glue on it and haven't had it come out since. I got stern to send me another, just in case it pops out again somehow. Just make sure it goes in straight, otherwise the disk won't spin right. I'd recommend a small plastic mallet/hammer or something.

I don't think there is a good way to press it back in without adhesives once it comes out the first time.

#5258 3 years ago

Hoping to join the club very soon. Kind of scared to pull the trigger. It would be my first NIB game. This game looks great too. Love the theme and the flow looks amazing. I have wanted a newer stern for a few years (Since Spidey and Iron man) The first modern Stern I got to play was Avatar. Hadn’t played a pinball machine since I was a kid before that.
I’m torn between a few right now. Really thought my first stern would be Star Trek Premium, and I don’t even care for that theme. The shots and call outs are awesome though, as I got the chance to play one last year. I am a huge marvel fan though, and am 99.9% sure this pin will be the one. Although Deadpool looks cool. No no, I want this one.
Reading through a lot of posts in here, has got me thinking dang...I wish all these protectors were already installed. I never paid attention to games on location. I guess because they weren’t mine. I thought newer games would have that kind of stuff already though. Reality check. Hehe.
I guess if I’m going to order this machine, I need to go search for where you guys getting all them protectors. One way to look at it...it’s like with anything else...like when we buy a phone we immediately have to drop another 50-100 in protection before we even get it in our pocket. Haha. Wish me luck guys.
Anybody have regrets buying this one? Be honest it’s a big decision for me.

#5259 3 years ago
Quoted from BrackAttack:

I’m consistently have two issues:
1) Auto launch doesn’t make it up the orbit, drains into the bumpers 50-60% of the time. I’ve attempted all the forum suggested fixes with no long term results.
2) The Avenger’s tower magnet drops the ball ~50% of the time so the ball rolls out away from the upper flipper. My game is level. I haven’t seen this issue mentioned here yet.
These issues are not game breakers but constant bummers.

Go into the featured adjustments and increase the coil and magnet power options.
also try to make sure the prongs are hitting the ball at the same time for auto launch.

#5260 3 years ago

After a few weeks of playing I feel like I’m getting stuck at the 200-250 million point range quite often. Can someone point me to a post or two in here on what strategies to use to help increase my score? There’s so much to shoot at that I’m not finding the sweet spot or multiballs to really wrack up better scores.

#5261 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I have the back legs turned out half way, and the front all the way in, and it's 6.3 between the slings.

As I said, it gets it close. Leave your front ones up and extend the back one until you get 6.5 between the flippers. 6.3 between the slings isn't enough and will be slightly less between the flippers.

That small level you showed in the pic doesn't look like it would be good for checking side to side level. Need something wider. The Pinguy app is accurate, but a digital torpedo level would be better.

#5262 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Why would you have all of the levellers completely raised? It would make the game more unstable and put unnecessary stress on the levellers. Having them all raised is the same as having them all lowered, in terms of pitch

I said raised, as in raised up into the leg with no threads showing. Not extended or lowered.

Quoted from WJxxxx:

I start of as default with the front legs lowered to their limit, only changing them if I need to adjust left to right pitch due to an uneven floor.

Left to right is level. Front to back is pitch. There is no left to right pitch. Whenever you level a game, at least one of the front levelers should be completely raised, no threads showing, to get as much stability for the game as possible. If all four of your levelers are extended, you did it wrong.

#5263 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Some of the machines have a handle attached there.

Yeh, those are for the handle - not sure why they omitted it in AIQ given the ramps go through the backboard. It was stated earlier that the handle is not for ease of lifting. Apparently it is only to protect ramps/components that sit behind the backboard. So why was it not installed on AIQ?

I call bs on the “protection” theory. I think it was an Elwin addition to help operators and owners with servicing. I also think it was removed by Stern’s Scrooge bean counters because it cost $1 extra.

#5264 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, those are for the handle - not sure why they omitted it in AIQ given the ramps go through the backboard. It was stated earlier that the handle is not for ease of listing. Apparently it is only to protect ramps/components that sit behind the backboard. So why was it not installed on AIQ?
I call bs on the “protection” theory. I think it was an Elwin addition to help operators and owners with servicing. I also think it was removed by Stern’s Scrooge bean counters because it cost $1 extra.

$1? More like 30 cents in quantity from their Chinese factories.

#5265 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

$1? More like 30 cents in quantity from their Chinese factories.

Allowed a bit of labor for the install, but yeh, maybe a bit generous.

#5266 3 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I said raised, as in raised up into the leg with no threads showing.

Well that's just backwards speak

#5267 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Hoping to join the club very soon. Kind of scared to pull the trigger. It would be my first NIB game. This game looks great too. Love the theme and the flow looks amazing. I have wanted a newer stern for a few years (Since Spidey and Iron man) The first modern Stern I got to play was Avatar. Hadn’t played a pinball machine since I was a kid before that.
I’m torn between a few right now. Really thought my first stern would be Star Trek Premium, and I don’t even care for that theme. The shots and call outs are awesome though, as I got the chance to play one last year. I am a huge marvel fan though, and am 99.9% sure this pin will be the one. Although Deadpool looks cool. No no, I want this one.
Reading through a lot of posts in here, has got me thinking dang...I wish all these protectors were already installed. I never paid attention to games on location. I guess because they weren’t mine. I thought newer games would have that kind of stuff already though. Reality check. Hehe.
I guess if I’m going to order this machine, I need to go search for where you guys getting all them protectors. One way to look at it...it’s like with anything else...like when we buy a phone we immediately have to drop another 50-100 in protection before we even get it in our pocket. Haha. Wish me luck guys.
Anybody have regrets buying this one? Be honest it’s a big decision for me.

As you probably have seen, I just got mine but have been collecting parts for a few months in anticipation.

I read through all the posts and decided to buy

Mezel Mods
* Sanctum mod
* Tower Mod
* Blue inlane and sling protectors

passionforpinball.com (Cliffy protectors)
* The entire protection set although I will probably not put in the 3 bank protector or the scoop hole protector on the right until I need to.

I will attempt the Antman protector which appears to be loosening two posts under a plastic to protect the playfield.
Stern stated that they addressed all the playfield issues with the lane guides so hopefully this is just insurance for me.

Marcospec.com
* Blue super band flipper rubbers and other blue rubbers but I may wait to take apart the game for the other rubbers (I have installed the 3 flipper rubbers - I put them in boiling hot water to make them easier to put on the flippers).

Stern parts (if desired)
* Game blades
* Topper
* Shooter rod
* Shaker motor

CM Ramp Mod for the left side
* tdiddy prints a ramp mod, look at the posts or find his posts. Others have also made lexan and other various mods.

Based on some posts and the brutal outlines, I will try the game with the rubber removed between the inlane/outlanes. (If I am not happy I can simply add the rubber back.)

I'm sure I am missing some stuff but here is a start.

#5268 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

As you probably have seen, I just got mine but have been collecting parts for a few months in anticipation.
Mezel Mods
* Sanctum mod
* Tower Mod
* The entire protection set although I will probably not put in the 3 bank protector or the scoop hole protector on the right until I need to.
I will attempt the Antman protector which appears to be loosening two posts under a plastic to protect the playfield.
Stern stated that they addressed all the playfield issues with the lane guides so hopefully this is just insurance for me.
Marcospec.com
* Blue super band flipper rubbers and other blue rubbers but I may wait to take apart the game for the other rubbers (I have installed the 3 flipper rubbers - I put them in boiling hot water to make them easier to put on the flippers).
Stern parts (if desired)
* Game blades
* Topper
* Shooter rod
* Shaker motor
* tdiddy prints a ramp mod, look at the posts or find his posts. Others have also made lexan and other various mods.
Based on some posts and the brutal outlines, I will try the game with the rubber removed between the inlane/outlanes. (If I am not happy I can simply add the rubber back.)

Am I the only one who puts in the real knocker? I love 'em.
https://www.pinballlife.com/real-knocker-kit-for-stern-spikespike-2.html

#5269 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Mezel Mods
* Sanctum mod
* Tower Mod
Marcospec.com
Stern parts (if desired)
* Game blades
* Topper
* Shooter rod
* Shaker motor

Woah! I’m blown away. I thought I’d just unbox and play for years to come. Occasional wax and maintenance. I thought 30 year old games hold up well enough, surely by now the newest game we can buy from Stern won’t need much. Again.. wake up call for me... Haha.
It’s all about taking care of our passion though! So I’m in on the protection at least. The aesthetic upgrades may have to wait.

#5270 3 years ago

My Premium is on a truck somewhere between Chicago and Denver, this winter weather has delayed it. Not sure I’ll see it this week I think my Houdini is on the same truck. Never received 2 NIB at once before!

#5271 3 years ago

WackyBrakke; your gonna have to modify the "Milkcan"shot as its un makeable the way it is! Thats one of the reasons I traded it for a RZ!!

#5272 3 years ago

Got mine in a box and just need to install it! Nothing like a real knocker. That stern digital chirp makes my ears bleed.

#5273 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Woah! I’m blown away. I thought I’d just unbox and play for years to come. Occasional wax and maintenance. I thought 30 year old games hold up well enough, surely by now the newest game we can buy from Stern won’t need much. Again.. wake up call for me... Haha.
It’s all about taking care of our passion though! So I’m in on the protection at least. The aesthetic upgrades may have to wait.

Yes. It is silly that I have to do all this to a brand new game. I would love to buy a game that works 100% with all protection ready to play. I have only done that once on my Gotg. Bought from a friend that did all the initial work. But he tightened up the orb too much snd it didn’t close so still had to adjust

Hopefully I’ll be playing it tonight.

#5274 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

After a few weeks of playing I feel like I’m getting stuck at the 200-250 million point range quite often. Can someone point me to a post or two in here on what strategies to use to help increase my score? There’s so much to shoot at that I’m not finding the sweet spot or multiballs to really wrack up better scores.

Try getting a portal lock or two before starting your modes. The modes themselves give you the option to finish them quickly, or go for more points with more/riskier shots. Get all the points you can from a mode.

#5275 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My Premium is on a truck somewhere between Chicago and Denver, this winter weather has delayed it. Not sure I’ll see it this week I think my Houdini is on the same truck. Never received 2 NIB at once before!

I have been watching the news and seeing all the overturned trucks and Jack knifed trucks. I was thinking 1. I hope the driver is safe and 2. I hope my pinball is not on that truck.

#5276 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Woah! I’m blown away. I thought I’d just unbox and play for years to come. Occasional wax and maintenance. I thought 30 year old games hold up well enough

You can totally still do this. None of it is required. Some of the items just keep it looking nicer a little longer.

#5277 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

After a few weeks of playing I feel like I’m getting stuck at the 200-250 million point range quite often.

Like the other guy said portal locks, but stack a multiball with the mode as well. As long as the game has two/three (depending on how many portal locks you have) balls in it the scoring is doubled/tripled for the length of the mode (as long as you have that many balls in play). Bringing a multiball and playfield/shot multipliers into modes is what you do in almost all sterns to blow up scoring.

Or you could always close the outlanes and lower the incline, but there isn't any fun in that.

#5278 3 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

As I said, it gets it close. Leave your front ones up and extend the back one until you get 6.5 between the flippers. 6.3 between the slings isn't enough and will be slightly less between the flippers.
That small level you showed in the pic doesn't look like it would be good for checking side to side level. Need something wider. The Pinguy app is accurate, but a digital torpedo level would be better.

I'm not confident this is correct, and I'll explain why. Although the factory bubble level is crap, I can get that bubble near the middle on all my game by setting the average pitch to 6.5. That would mean if between the slings is 6.3, the middle is 6.5, and the top is 6.7, you're pretty much at 6.5.

Stern actually confirmed with me that this exactly how they do it, so even if you doubt my method, I think Stern techs know a thing or two.

Of the 20 games or so that I've owned, I've never seen one that measures the same angle at all points of the pf. I don't have an answer to this, but the pitch seems to increase (some slightly, so more drastic) from bottom to top.

When people say, set the level to 6.5, it's like me telling them my address is Canada. Specifying where the measurement is taken is highly important.

If they're only checking between the slings, and setting that to 6.5, it's almost guaranteed to be over well 6.5 as an average pitch.

As for the tools, I use that small digital level to get in hard to reach spots (like the upper portion of AIQ) and I use a torpedo for the more open areas. The two levels also help me confirm that readings are accurate.

Remember, even a slightly raised insert can alter the reading on a torpedo level.

Anyhow, hope that helps

#5279 3 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I said raised, as in raised up into the leg with no threads showing. Not extended or lowered.

Left to right is level. Front to back is pitch. There is no left to right pitch. Whenever you level a game, at least one of the front levelers should be completely raised, no threads showing, to get as much stability for the game as possible. If all four of your levelers are extended, you did it wrong.

I rarely touch the front leg levelers, only ever touch the back two leg levelers to get it as even as possible. The ONLY time I ever touch the front two is when the floor is super uneven, or the playfield is janky. I always try to check the side to side level out the playfield btwn the flippers and somewhere in the middle to get an average difference as close to zero as possible.

I don't use phone apps. The accelerometer sensor isn't always reliable and cases for phones are different. If you don't have a level, just do it through how it feels. Always wondered why I see pinballs with front legs jacked up, never made any sense to me. I remember one guy at a show asking why I was leveling a game. He said all he does is stick the front legs on the front and back legs on the back and GTG.

#5280 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

30 year old games that weren't protected in the same way have blown out scoops and shooter lanes if they have seen any amount of plays. Doing this stuff upfront helps avoid that.

#5281 3 years ago

What do you all use to protect the shooter lane? Anything different than cliffy out there?

#5282 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

30 year old games that weren't protected in the same way have blown out scoops and shooter lanes if they have seen any amount of plays. Doing this stuff upfront helps avoid that.

I’m not arguing that. I just meant they held up good for their age. But time has shown as you said, the holes blow out. Seems like pinball companies would offer an option for cliffy protection installed from factory and maybe already have it included in premiums and LE’s You’re exactly right though. Up front protection is a no brainer. I’ve never owned a NIB game so never had to think about how they come from factory. Lol.
I was just saying I was slightly shocked(not upset) that these days, new games aren’t already supplied with cliffy’s at least. Seems like Stern and any other company should have partnered with Mr. Cliff by now. He deserves a nice partnership for his genius creations.
Again, I do agree with ya, and I have already emailed Cliffy about protectors for AIQ and hoping he also has a set for BSD, while I’m at it.

#5283 3 years ago

Yes lol.
I hate knockers. They startle the crap out of me. I turn them off on most games. The Stern screech is still like nails on a chalk board though.
A friend from Hammer City Pinball League got me this shirt for Christmas and i love it.

20210218_113905 (resized).jpg20210218_113905 (resized).jpg
#5284 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Like the other guy said portal locks, but stack a multiball with the mode as well. As long as the game has two/three (depending on how many portal locks you have) balls in it the scoring is doubled/tripled for the length of the mode (as long as you have that many balls in play). Bringing a multiball and playfield/shot multipliers into modes is what you do in almost all sterns to blow up scoring.
Or you could always close the outlanes and lower the incline, but there isn't any fun in that.

All great advice! I would add that the soul gem jackpot can be very lucrative and can really boost your scores. I’ve collected almost 200m a few times in a single shot. The key is to power up the avenger with the soul gem (or use change gems to move it to a powered up avenger, that had the power gem for instance). The reality gem quest is lucrative, especially with 2 portal locks, so I like to save it for after I have the soul gem and go for the big jackpot. I hope this makes sense!

The rule sheet on the stern site is helpful in explaining the gem quests and what the gems do. As others have mentioned, most of the gem quests have a strong risk-reward aspect where a few more shots can really boost the score (eg, hitting the spinner between Power gem shots or going for the 4way combo in Space gem). I don’t think they have updated the rule sheet to include Thanos Attacks, etc but the core info is still relevant.

#5285 3 years ago

I put real knockers in, that sound is nostalgic.

I found that pitch at 6.7 at the flippers is working pretty well for me, it is 6.5 near the top. Might experiment with going higher eventually, but 6.5 at the flipper seems too slow for this game.

#5286 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

I’m not arguing that. I just meant they held up good for their age. But time has shown as you said, the holes blow out. Seems like pinball companies would offer an option for cliffy protection installed from factory and maybe already have it included in premiums and LE’s You’re exactly right though. Up front protection is a no brainer. I’ve never owned a NIB game so never had to think about how they come from factory. Lol.
I was just saying I was slightly shocked(not upset) that these days, new games aren’t already supplied with cliffy’s at least. Seems like Stern and any other company should have partnered with Mr. Cliff by now. He deserves a nice partnership for his genius creations.
Again, I do agree with ya, and I have already emailed Cliffy about protectors for AIQ and hoping he also has a set for BSD, while I’m at it.

There have been a few instances recently of Sterns coming with "Cliffy" style protectors in places. If I remember right the Deadpool Hellhouse scoop is an example of one being protected from the factory. I could be wrong there though. I do wish they would do it more though. At least they changed their magnet design to have the large surround which minimizes the wear that used to be possible around the small exposed cores.

#5287 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

There have been a few instances recently of Sterns coming with "Cliffy" style protectors in places. If I remember right the Deadpool Hellhouse scoop is an example of one being protected from the factory. I could be wrong there though. I do wish they would do it more though. At least they changed their magnet design to have the large surround which minimizes the wear that used to be possible around the small exposed cores.

Stern also put their version of Cliffys on the ramps in the later and vault versions of Star Trek. They know these games need them, especially on location, but this is just an added cost to Stern... they just want to keep their BOM at the lowest it can be to maximize profit. They won’t change unless people really complain about it or other companies start doing it and have success.

Just look how long it took stern to move to an LCD screen...

#5288 3 years ago

It's here! Woo!

2021-02-18 (resized).jpg2021-02-18 (resized).jpg
#5289 3 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

All great advice! I would add that the soul gem jackpot can be very lucrative and can really boost your scores. I’ve collected almost 200m a few times in a single shot. The key is to power up the avenger with the soul gem (or use change gems to move it to a powered up avenger, that had the power gem for instance). The reality gem quest is lucrative, especially with 2 portal locks, so I like to save it for after I have the soul gem and go for the big jackpot. I hope this makes sense!
The rule sheet on the stern site is helpful in explaining the gem quests and what the gems do. As others have mentioned, most of the gem quests have a strong risk-reward aspect where a few more shots can really boost the score (eg, hitting the spinner between Power gem shots or going for the 4way combo in Space gem). I don’t think they have updated the rule sheet to include Thanos Attacks, etc but the core info is still relevant.

What's the best way to power up each Avenger just keep hitting their shots over and over? So it's best to place the soul gem on the same person you have a power gem on is that right? 200 million in one shot that's crazy to me. Also how do you keep track of which power level each avenger is at? Does the screen show it as I'll be honest I barely look up in this pin. Thanks for the advice and the things others have mentioned. Definitely helpful.

#5290 3 years ago

Anyone looking to sell their AIQ LE? PM me if so.

#5291 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

What's the best way to power up each Avenger just keep hitting their shots over and over? So it's best to place the soul gem on the same person you have a power gem on is that right? 200 million in one shot that's crazy to me. Also how do you keep track of which power level each avenger is at? Does the screen show it as I'll be honest I barely look up in this pin. Thanks for the advice and the things others have mentioned. Definitely helpful.

You can see the status of the 6 main avengers (the ones in the inserts) on the screen at all times except during animations. For example, it is 80 spins to collect hulk, then another 100(I think) to power up to level 1; IM is spelling IRON at the inlanes-outlanes; Black Widow is the centre ramp (the game calls this the left ramp) 3 times to collect then 5 to power up, etc.

There are 6 places a gem can go, but only 4 correspond to one of those 6 avengers. IM and Thor have their respective multiball but you can’t place a gem on either. Instead, the other 2 gem locations are the drop targets (“Vision”) and Captain Marvel.

Only one gem per slot! In the scenario I described earlier, the sequence would be:
Win power gem and place on (eg) Black Widow

Power up BW to level 2

Win soul gem and place it anywhere

Antman is lit for “change gems” (it lights upon Avengers Assemble!). Hit Antman scoop to move soul gem to BW, and power gem somewhere good, like BP or hulk. BW is still level 2 because that’s one of the power gem perks (avenger that has it maintains level after drains or wizard modes)

Win the reality gem and collect it. At this point the soul gem jackpot is lit (there’s a call out) at BW (ie the center ramp).

Make the BW shot and shout woohoo really loudly (that’s what I do). I shoot for that before even placing the reality gem.

With the new code, Thanos pays a visit if you have the soul gem AND have played at least 2 other gem quests so watch out!

#5292 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

1) Hitting the Avenger shots is the main way to power them up (I think mystery awards can power them up also).
2) You can't place two gems on the same spot. But you could have the Power gem on an Avenger and power up that Avenger, and then use the Space Gem or Change Gems to move the Soul gem to that spot after the Avenger is powered up.
3) The main screen shows the powered up status for each Avenger. There are icons on the main screen for each one telling you how many shots/spins/pops/completions remain until the next level of power for each one.

This is a good site to read the rules:
http://tiltforums.com/t/avengers-infinity-quest-rulesheet/6740

#5293 3 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

You can see the status of the 6 main avengers (the ones in the inserts) on the screen at all times except during animations. For example, it is 80 spins to collect hulk, then another 100(I think) to power up to level 1; IM is spelling IRON at the inlanes-outlanes; Black Widow is the centre ramp (the game calls this the left ramp) 3 times to collect then 5 to power up, etc.
There are 6 places a gem can go, but only 4 correspond to one of those 6 avengers. IM and Thor have their respective multiball but you can’t place a gem on either. Instead, the other 2 gem locations are the drop targets (“Vision”) and Captain Marvel.
Only one gem per slot! In the scenario I described earlier, the sequence would be:
Win power gem and place on (eg) Black Widow
Power up BW to level 2
Win soul gem and place it anywhere
Antman is lit for “change gems” (it lights upon Avengers Assemble!). Hit Antman scoop to move soul gem to BW, and power gem somewhere good, like BP or hulk. BW is still level 2 because that’s one of the power gem perks (avenger that has it maintains level after drains or wizard modes)
Win the reality gem and collect it. At this point the soul gem jackpot is lit (there’s a call out) at BW (ie the center ramp).
Make the BW shot and shout woohoo really loudly (that’s what I do). I shoot for that before even placing the reality gem.
With the new code, Thanos pays a visit if you have the soul gem AND have played at least 2 other gem quests so watch out!

Thanks most of this I'm good with and understand. Does it make any difference which gem guests we play and in which order? I find I tend to pick two or three of the sames ones fairly often each game but not for any particular rhyme or reason.

#5294 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

What is your pitch angle?

I don't know the number but there is only about 1/4" left for the back legs to go even higher - they are nearly maxed out. Front legs are as low as they can go. Despite this it doesn't really play super fast. I will also say that this alone will not eliminate the ridiculous outlane drains. Having a sharp pitch like this directs the balls more often to the inlanes, however with the inlane rubber bumper present, these balls often volley into the outlanes. At first I observed this anecdotally and then counted outlane drains and ball time with them on and off. Without the inlane rubbers increased ball time by 22 seconds and decreased the outlane to center drain ratio from 1.15 to 1 to to 1.05 to 1. Tested 50 games each.

So if you want the fairest outlanes, you need to increase the pitch sharply and removed the inlane rubbers (like on Deadpool).

Unrelated - they should add an operator option to disable Thanos Attacks. It's so stupid. One of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen in a pinball game. I find myself, with 3 good gems in hand, picking the weakest gem first and intentionally draining so I don't lose one of the other two more valuable gems by accident. When good players are using that as a strategy, you messed up.

#5295 3 years ago

Power and Time are good early choices, Reality is always valuable. I usually leave the Space gem for later, once I have gems to move around. Mind gem is a really good one to have but it’s the riskiest one to go for (IMO).

EaglePin has linked to the tiltforums rule sheet in the post just above...it’s worth a read if you want to dig deeper into the rules!

#5296 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Unrelated - they should add an operator option to disable Thanos Attacks. It's so stupid. One of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen in a pinball game. I find myself, with 3 good gems in hand, picking the weakest gem first and intentionally draining so I don't lose one of the other two more valuable gems by accident. When good players are using that as a strategy, you messed up.

Quoted from Eightball88:

Power and Time are good early choices, Reality is always valuable. I usually leave the Space gem for later, once I have gems to move around. Mind gem is a really good one to have but it’s the riskiest one to go for (IMO).
EaglePin has linked to the tiltforums rule sheet in the post just above...it’s worth a read if you want to dig deeper into the rules!

I like the Thanos Attacks mode. Sure, I lose over half the time, but when I win I can either get a gem back or go into Super Victory Laps which can be pretty lucrative.

As far as strategy - (it currently takes over 1 billion to get on my high score leaderboard) I've started using Mind Gem more to help earn other gems, etc. It can be huge if you can align the mind gem on a level 2 Avenger and go into Reality gem quest... spin the disk and hit the "Super Boom"! Especially as others have noted if you have portal locked 1 or 2 balls and bring in a multiball as well.

Also - it's good to have a "base" strategy that sets everything else up. I like the Black Widow - Captain Marvel combo and either repeat or throw in a Black Panther - Iron Man tower or Hulk combo from time to time.

In later stages, especially for the 2nd or 3rd assembling of the Avengers - it's beneficial to have the Power gem and move it around. Also as has been noted, the Soul Gem jackpot can get really big as well!

Lot's of different ways to attack the game. Makes it fun for me!

#5297 3 years ago

Bowen tutorial

#5298 3 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

).

The only thing I agree with is that the player shouldn't have to shoot which gem they're defending - it should be randomly selected to start. But I think it's a great mode and like the severe risk/reward. They said, making it so you can disable the feature would be fine, but leave it by default.

#5299 3 years ago
Quoted from bocce:

Bowen tutorial

Lol his description of how trophies work.

#5300 3 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

The only thing I agree with is that the player shouldn't have to shoot which gem they're defending - it should be randomly selected to start. But I think it's a great mode and like the severe risk/reward. They said, making it so you can disable the feature would be fine, but leave it by default.

I also think the Soul gem mode should be random... same shots required each time, but the order randomized...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.00
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 75.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com
Backbox
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Geismar, LA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
$ 49.99
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 6,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,640 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 253.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-avengers-infinity-quest-owners-thread-pinsiders-assemble/page/106?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.