Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by tbanthony
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    100_6325.JPG
    image.jpg
    Fanboys.jpg
    images.jpg
    tf.jpg
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

http://www.sternpinball.com/Community/Blogs/news/transformers-pin.aspx

MELROSE PARK, IL – October 1, 2012 – Today, Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s only maker of real pinball games, introduced the TRANSFORMERS™ Pin™, a stylish, affordable and entertaining pinball game designed and engineered exclusively for the home. For customers new to pinball ownership, the TRANSFORMERS Pin offers fun and timeless family entertainment at an affordable price. The Pin™ also provides an entry into the rapidly growing community of pinball play and ownership driven by impassioned enthusiasts and collectors around the globe. The Pin is the latest model to be developed by Stern and joins the company’s existing line-up of Pro, Premium, and Limited Edition models.

The licensed TRANSFORMERS Pin features art, music, speech, and sound effects from the blockbuster TRANSFORMERS franchise. Since the birth of the franchise in 1984, the TRANSFORMERS brand has been celebrated with toys, comic books, animation, summer blockbuster movies and more. Under license from Hasbro, Stern is now proud to be adding an additional pinball game model to its lineup. Players can expect the classic battle between the heroic OPTIMUS PRIME and the villainous MEGATRON as well as other beloved AUTOBOT and DECEPTICON characters.

The easily assembled TRANSFORMERS Pin is built to last and engineered with genuine Stern commercial-quality parts including flippers, slingshots, pop bumpers, tempered playfield glass, and the traditional pinball plunger. The playfield is housed in a stylish cabinet with modern, high definition artwork. The all-LED playfield lighting provides optimal color and performance.

“The Pin is specifically designed to provide quality family entertainment and bring pinball to more homes everywhere. TRANSFORMERS is a great title for the entire family and we’re very pleased to add The Pin model to our TRANSFORMERS offering,” said Gary Stern, Founder, CEO and Chairman of Stern Pinball, Inc.

Through December 31, 2012, the TRANSFORMERS Pin will be available in the United States exclusively at Amazon.com. To order in the US, please visit: www.amazon.com

The TRANSFORMERS Pin will also be available in Canada exclusively through The Playdium Store and Cineplex Starburst, Inc. To order in Canada, please visit: either www.theplaydiumstore.com or www.starburstcoin.com.

#2 11 years ago

At $3k idk how it will sell well. Zizzle had it pretty damn good at what $199? I would probably pay 500 for a pin that HOU and limited. For 3$k I can find so many other pins that are "Real" and TF pro is going for like 4?

#3 11 years ago

"Meh"

That sums it up. If it was a thousand or maybe $1500 I'd expect interest...

#4 11 years ago

why does stern delete comments on their facebook page?.. lame

#5 11 years ago

jody is scampering around trying to get people to talk it up lol

#6 11 years ago

Not sure what planet you can find anything positive about this move... there will be more negative comments than positive and JOKEs are easy when it looks like a fisher price pro model vs what Stern is capable of at that price point

#7 11 years ago

Does anybody know what to expect here? Is this going to be like Iron Man Classic?

Edit: nope, looks like a 'new' game built out of left-over parts. Well, now we can't complain about NIB Sterns being too expensive, this baby's only a cool 3 grand!

#8 11 years ago

I can't even comment, they banned me. Whoever runs their facebook account is clueless about customer service and marketing...

#10 11 years ago

"The all-LED playfield lighting provides optimal color and performance."

LED strips, rather than individual bulbs?

#11 11 years ago

Jody cant keep up between asking people to talk the game up via pm on fb to deleting posts on fb lol.

#12 11 years ago

Guessing that's the ball lock area on the left ramp return. That all-spark toy in the middle looks like the TOTAN lamp... layout looks a bit cluttered and crazy, but I suppose we shouldn't judge it until we have more than one playfield pic to look at.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Jody cant keep up between asking people to talk the game up via pm on fb to deleting posts on fb lol.

Seems like Jody has his hands full. Damage control anyone?

#14 11 years ago

My predication... Complete and utter failure.

#15 11 years ago

I would totally buy one. I have a god son and a handful of friends kids. But at that price it is in real pinball price range. I've been trying to snag a zizzle forever.

#16 11 years ago

Playfield pic

tf.jpgtf.jpg

#17 11 years ago

I would buy one for my 13 year old.. except I showed it to him on his way to school this morning an d he just laughed

#18 11 years ago

Price point is so far out it is not true.

Anybody who wants to play pinball will buy a real one.

Otherwise play it on an ipad etc.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from goodgameslover:

Seems like Jody has his hands full. Damage control anyone?

That guy is such a douche. If you even say one word, I mean even anything that is not close to praise your comment will be removed. Not even constructive criticism is allowed! I am not joking here.

Jody = Stern Nazi

#20 11 years ago

Personally i don't think this is a bad idea perse.
    Just the price point is really out of this world. If, and i say if, because the official price has yet to be announced, it really shoots by it's target audience.
    This should be 1000$ max for it to succeed. Making pinball more known is always a good idea, but Stern seems to make a mess of this otherwise good idea imo.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from goodgameslover:

Personally i don't think this is a bad idea perse.
    Just the price point is really out of this world. If, and i say if, because the official price has yet to be announced, it really shoots by it's target audience.
    This should be 1000$ max for it to succeed. Making pinball more known is always a good idea, but Stern seems to make a mess of this otherwise good idea imo.

I agree. At that price point I could only see something like this working... 1500 MAX and even then...

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

Not sure what planet you can find anything positive about this move...

I think it's a good thing.
    J-Pop touched on something similar to this concept at CAX; I guess Gary was kInDa paying attention. (Didn't really hit the right price point though... Ouch! )

Getting more people into pinball will mean more NEW machines for the future and hopefully we'll see more diverse offerings when it comes to themes... So, nothing but positive vibes from me.

Plus, that new TF PF looks like a flowriffic beast!
    Come on Black Friday/Cyber Monday!!!

#23 11 years ago

I was referring to Price.. too close to real deal

#24 11 years ago

Price is key if its 500-1000 then its a legit thing. Anything over that is crazy. Most people who are thinking of getting a pinball are going to walk into there local place that sells pool tables and dart boards and quickly see prices that while high are still better than a possible 2-3,000 abs china pos.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Price is key if its 500-1000 then its a legit thing. Anything over that is crazy. Most people who are thinking of getting a pinball are going to walk into there local place that sells pool tables and dart boards and quickly see prices that while high are still better than a possible 2-3,000 abs china pos.

The average person does not walk into Costco to walk out because their kid would not let up because they saw a pinball machine and could not live without it. I just don't sell sales being made in this fashion.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Price point is so far out it is not true.

It was briefly listed at 3k (list price 4k!) on Amazon but they've removed the price.

Setting aside the question of whether anybody will want one or whether it's fun to play, I think it's a good thing that they're trying to make low-end options for people who can't afford NiB pro models. Now, that only works if the price point is far enough below full-featured machines, or what's the point?

I'd also be worried about how much value this thing is going to retain if the investment is $2,000 or more.

#27 11 years ago

Who knows, it might be more fun than the regular TF

#28 11 years ago

Bet it plays like AFM on SPEED !!!!!!!

#29 11 years ago

Looks god awful too me. I think the real one looks real nice, but this one hit every ugly stick on the way down.

#30 11 years ago

Agreed, 500-1000.

I am wondering if Stern does any market research at all. I can't imagine they took this product to potential buyers and asked, what would you expect to pay for this. I expect clearance priced machine shortly after xmas.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

It was briefly listed at 3k (list price 4k!) on Amazon but they've removed the price.
    Setting aside the question of whether anybody will want one or whether it's fun to play, I think it's a good thing that they're trying to make low-end options for people who can't afford NiB pro models. Now, that only works if the price point is far enough below full-featured machines, or what's the point?
    I'd also be worried about how much value this thing is going to retain if the investment is $2,000 or more.

Investment?

It's a toy and most toys, expect to lose 80% plus!

#32 11 years ago

could you imagine what this would look like sitting next to your real pins?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

The average person does not walk into Costco to walk out because their kid would not let up because they saw a pinball machine and could not live without it. I just don't sell sales being made in this fashion.

Well, plus it's exclusive to Amazon right now...so how will one actually get to see in in person to make an informed decision on an expensive product? Definitely need to see a promotional video.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, plus it's exclusive to Amazon right now...so how will one actually get to see in in person to make an informed decision on an expensive product? Definitely need to see a promotional video.

I dare someone to add to cart and give all a review come November 9th or whenever that thing is released.. It's probably surprisingly fun if you can get past the unorthodox cabinet.

#35 11 years ago

Guys Guys Guys..... CALM DOWN!

Do I really Need to say this??

-----> THIS MACHINE WILL BE 10K BY CHRISTMAS!

#36 11 years ago

At the price i have been told they would need to sell so many of these to even break even on dev cost alone.

What really sucks is when this flops if the cost of machines goes up again not matter the reason all of us will be convinced its because of this.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from generica:

Setting aside the question of whether anybody will want one or whether it's fun to play, I think it's a good thing that they're trying to make low-end options for people who can't afford NiB pro models.

I can't see an upside in these that would be worth damaging and devaluing their brand over.

[Yes, I know... insert "Stern's brand is already crap" jokes here.]

I'm sort of surprised they didn't create a new brand for these - still built and sold by Stern, just under a different name, like an automaker. I suppose having the Stern name on them will help with marketing, but I'd be more concerned about the negative perception of this junk creeping back over the entire name.

#38 11 years ago

I'm guessing there is a reason they are Amazon exclusive, where you can't actually see one in person... and probably with no return policy or a huge restocking fee.

#39 11 years ago

This tread has some great posts so far.

Is this really just a money grab trying to cash in on the pin bubble right now? Does this fall under the same licensing agreement? I just find this all VERY confusing as to what the idea was behind this move.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

no return policy or a huge restocking fee.

Not from Amazon. No way

#41 11 years ago

Amazon is like 2 miles from my house (or at least one of their warehouses) and they are usually very good/quick, but some products I've seen from other sellers through Amazon do in fact have a return/restocking attached. Since this is an Amazon exclusive, it shouldn't. I was mostly being smart-alec. Although... I do know people who work there. Maybe I can go sneak a peek when they come in stock...

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Is this really just a money grab trying to cash in on the pin bubble right now?

No, there have been "home only" editions of pinball games forever, like Fireball (1978), Vacation America (2002), Iron Man (2010).....

#43 11 years ago

at Zizzle we looked at a $995. full-size home model, but that was about the limit for an average family. $1000. is a lot of coin for a christmas present. we could build it for that and make money, but would be all "Made in China" as was the smaller version. we had a lot of orders but the price point was too high for the "toy" business, so it did not go far in development.

#44 11 years ago

ahhhhh...the TOTAN lamp......with a cube ontop....hope it lights up...!!!

#45 11 years ago

Is it me or does that layout look a lot like IM but without the Monger toy?

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

at Zizzle we looked at a $995. full-size home model, but that was about the limit for an average family. $1000. is a lot of coin for a christmas present. we could build it for that and make money, but would be all "Made in China" as was the smaller version. we had a lot of orders but the price point was too high for the "toy" business, so it did not go far in development.

That's what i feared. To get out of costs Stern has to charge at least 2000$ to make money of this "pin".

#47 11 years ago

It is a playfield in a shoe box. Al Bundy approves.

#48 11 years ago

this is nuts. I will just stick with the 90% of the "real" DMD machines I can get for 3k.

And why on earth did they attach the legs that way? They could have at least made it LOOK like a pinball.

#50 11 years ago

My only question is how does this deserve 3 different threads going? Really?

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-announcement-of-tf-lameatuer-edition and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.