Topic Stats

• 508 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by redman822
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 128 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

nixiw_(resized).jpg
Moscow_Arcade_8_(resized).jpg
museum-soviet-gaming-machines_23_(resized).jpg
show3_(resized).jpg
show2_(resized).jpg
show1_(resized).jpg
IMG_2425_(resized).jpg
mainbuildingoverhead_(resized).jpg
wileytrent_(resized).jpg
IMG_2566_(resized).JPG
IMG_2565_(resized).JPG
IMG_2564_(resized).JPG
IMG_2563_(resized).JPG
IMG_2562_(resized).JPG
IMG_2561_(resized).JPG

There are 508 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
#401 3 years ago

Never mind. Didn't realize there was a whole other building.

#402 3 years ago

There are actually two in there. One in the back and one as you come in the door. I played GB about a dozen times and I can't say say if I'm totally sold on the gameplay (there are some really tight shots and the rules aren't intuitive in some areas) but the art is A+++. Please, Stern, more hand drawn art.

I played the Hobbit next to it as well about a dozen times. I HATE WOZ....boring theme, stop and start gameplay, not a fan of the art....but I think Hobbit is a winner. I don't know why people complain about the open playfield when there is so much to shoot at. Play the Stern, then play the JJ pin. It's a completely different experience. It's like driving a Corvette then driving a Bentley. Both have their strong suits but they are in totally different areas. I do think the era of DMDs should be dead at this point...LCDs are cheap and there is so much more you can do with the displays. Ghostbusters would be off the charts if the DMD had a LCD with clips from the movies!!!

#404 3 years ago

Also, I've reduced the price of the pinball print to $10 each or 3 for $25. If you don't see me at my booth, talk to Ryan and he can help you.

#405 3 years ago

Two Ghostbusters in the annex for our guests...

#406 3 years ago

I had a great time.
I prefer a chance tp get some parts..
But still one of the best selections of games there is..
I didn"t bother with the lines for Ghostbusters or the Hobbit.
No line for BBB or Big Juicy Melons, Safecraker, Banzai Run, etc.
The limited tickets do cull the lines. Just have to have people step up to their machine and get their ass out of the aisles.
Kicks the other show I used to attend (MPE) right in the pills.

#407 3 years ago

Had to step out early to do some Ann Arbor 'splorin' (and beer'n)... but I must say of the many events I've attended over the past couple of years, VFW feels the most like the classic arcades of yore. Loud and energetic and the games played very well. Amazing selection of games and rarities too. All Clay needs to complement that Still Crazy is a Rat Race!

The Hobbit is an incredible game. No, the open field doesn't look incredible, but the complete multimedia experience is unmatched by any other game I have ever played before. Give it a chance... it is a perfect mashup of Dark Tower (the 80's board game), the film, and pinball. Lots to do, lots to see, outstanding attention to detail.

#408 3 years ago

Just got back, wish I could have stayed longer but things to get done.

Big thanks to dnaman for the ticket and another big thanks to Paul for bringing along a widebody kit for my virtual pinball project. Great chatting with you, I may be hitting you up for some of your powder coated parts when I get to work restoring my SBM, they looked greats

What a selection of fantastic looking and playing games, it was truly a site to behold. Thank you to everyone helping out at the show, they all had a friendly smile and were easy to chat with. I played numerous games I haven't seen in years and a bunch more I've never had a chance to play... Like all those zaccaria's... Wow! Played a Medusa for the first time... Adding that to my wish list.

#409 3 years ago

I made it to the last two years, and just thought to check the date of the event yesterday. Imagine my surprise (read: misery) when I realized it was this weekend and the tickets were sold out.

If, by some strange luck, two tickets free up for tomorrow, please message me.

#410 3 years ago

Just got back home. Thank you so much the awesome show! My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed playing!

#411 3 years ago

Couple of pics.

20160514_163409_(resized).jpg

20160514_162804_(resized).jpg

20160514_144121_(resized).jpg

20160514_144106_(resized).jpg

20160514_143819_(resized).jpg

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

There are actually two in there. One in the back and one as you come in the door. I played GB about a dozen times and I can't say say if I'm totally sold on the gameplay (there are some really tight shots and the rules aren't intuitive in some areas) but the art is A+++. Please, Stern, more hand drawn art.
I played the Hobbit next to it as well about a dozen times. I HATE WOZ....boring theme, stop and start gameplay, not a fan of the art....but I think Hobbit is a winner. I don't know why people complain about the open playfield when there is so much to shoot at. Play the Stern, then play the JJ pin. It's a completely different experience. It's like driving a Corvette then driving a Bentley. Both have their strong suits but they are in totally different areas. I do think the era of DMDs should be dead at this point...LCDs are cheap and there is so much more you can do with the displays. Ghostbusters would be off the charts if the DMD had a LCD with clips from the movies!!!

While I disagree with your opinion on WOZ (lol, I love it) I agree with you 100% about TH. What a great game. I played the TH over a year ago with early code and had written it off until playing it with version 1.10 at Mbrew the other night and today at the VFW. I ended up doing a 180 and I'm now thinking of buying one. Keith's code work is bringing the layout and all the toys / features in it alive in a lot of unique ways.

I set the #7 high score on TH today! Someone has probably already taken my initials off the list.

Great show! Thanks Clay and thanks to all of the staff!

#414 3 years ago

Thanks clay for another great show, thank you bob for the aquarius, tom for the sing along, nice finally meeting you ryan. Had a great time!!

#415 3 years ago

I set #1 HS on Hobbit yesterday. Maybe 50k short of grand champion... aargh!

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I set #1 HS on Hobbit yesterday. Maybe 50k short of grand champion... aargh!

First thing this morning Trent set the grand champion score. 1.9 million

#417 3 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I thought there was going to be a GB here. Anyone know where it's hidden?

there are actually 2 in the annex. trent brought one (which is in the original annex section) and the gameroom guys brought another (which is in the annex expansion, along with a KISS, a GoT pro. and gary from abel electronics brought a hobbit smaug edition

here are a few photos from friday & saturday:
the EM tournament winners
tourney winners mike wiley and trent (just trent)

the annex (original section):
IMG_2556_(resized).JPG
IMG_2555_(resized).JPG

the main hall:
IMG_2564_(resized).JPG
IMG_2563_(resized).JPG
IMG_2560_(resized).JPG
ryan claytor
IMG_2561_(resized).JPG
'the back room'
'the back room'

#418 3 years ago

Went yesterday for the first time(guaranteed not the last) What an awesome place. Very cool people. Got the chance to shake Clay's hand and thank him for the help he's given me over the years via email. He doesn't remember me, but he probably gets tons of emails. It was just really great to put a face with a name. Thanks to all who put on this show and let us come in and play the awesome collection. The food was great as well.

#419 3 years ago

The show was even better this year than last - loved getting a chance to play so many rare Zaccaria games for one. The tournament was twice the size this year and I managed to get almost to the last round.

My thanks to Clay and all the volunteers for making this amazing show possible.

#420 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there are actually 2 in the annex. trent brought one (which is in the original annex section) and the gameroom guys brought another

Yep, within minutes of me posting, I overheard someone mention the other building. I got to play a few games on GB

This was my first time. Great show.

#421 3 years ago

One word....WOW!!!!! I went on Friday. First time to this show. Will not be my last. Absolutely bar none the best display of games in pristine condition with manageable crowds to boot. Any game I wanted to play, I got right on or waited maybe five minutes for. The orange shirted staff was terrific and did an excellent job. Thanks so much Clay and team for putting this on every year. I can't wait til next year and will definitely be bringing other pinheads with me. A truly memorable experience. The food was good too. Again....WOW!!!!

#422 3 years ago

Definitely the Zaccaria's were cool. Have never seen one in person before. Really thought the raised shooter lane was a neat idea, you could really do some fun things with that if you were designing a game from scratch. It would give you more playfield to play with and still have a "traditional" shooter lane. Also the timer at the end. I know a couple of American games have that, but still neat. Then, not just one, but many of them to play.

#423 3 years ago

My thanks to Clay and the staff as well, was there with my son and nephew Saturday and what great time we had. The games are wonderfully maintained and the staff were very friendly and always right there to tend to a stuck ball or an issue immediately. Was great to play so many woodrails and wedgeheads that you just would normally never get to play and I was surprised my son liked the older games so much. The EM ball bowlers might be the funnest thing we played, those are awesome and worth coming to the show alone. Won't hesitate to come back again.

#424 3 years ago

Here's a nice overhead panoramic shot of most of the main building from Saturday.

#425 3 years ago

Have to agree with everybody here it was a great show. Great playing games, quick to get things fixed and all the helpers were super nice and eager to help. Thanks Clay and all involved

#426 3 years ago

Thank you to everyone who attended the show.

We try our best to be the best show and the best support staff bar none.

Unfortunately sometimes the work load and stress gets to a few of us (read: one) and some unfortunate situations happen.

I was part of one and I handled it very poorly.

There are a hand full of you that know what I’m writing about and we can keep it that way. For those of you who do know and his friends, I want to publicly apologize.

I did speak with the gentleman whom I had an issue with and apologized face to face a few hours later.

I hope he accepted my hand shake, my words, and now this public apology. It won’t happen again.

Regards,

Doug D.
VFW

#427 3 years ago
Quoted from nsduprr:

I did speak with the gentleman whom I had an issue with and apologized face to face a few hours later.

Yeah you shouldn't have grabbed his ass like that...but hey it's a pinball show that's gonna happen

OK I'm frikkin tired now.

#428 3 years ago

Heh, I can see a pal in one of the photos up above!

I've heard nothing but great things about this show. I couldn't afford to go this year because we are in the midst of selling a house, but I am totally going to try to make it next year!

#429 3 years ago

First time out here for my wife and I we had a great time. Will Probably have to spring for 2 days next year. A ton more games I wanted to play but just didn't have the time. Plus trading off watching the 5y/o every few games slowed things down. His attention span got even shorter after the first 4 hours.... I thought he still did pretty good but whoever referred to him as "the little brat" after he ran off for a bathroom emergency obviously didn't agree with me..... Yes I was still standing there I may have to seek out an EM bowler someday soon, kiddo was hooked on these, not quite sure where to squeeze one in though. I want to thank whoever was up near the door that showed my son how to play the flipperless baseball woodrail he really liked that game a lot. Very nice collection and everything I tried played well.

#430 3 years ago

Awesome show! I went all 3 days & even managed to snag GC on Ghostbusters, Indy 500, & Mousin Around. I'll be back next year for sure. Thanks Clay & crew.

#431 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah you shouldn't have grabbed his ass like that...but hey it's a pinball show that's gonna happen
OK I'm frikkin tired now.

It's not like anyone broke a piece of playfield glass or something

#432 3 years ago

Just got back from Sunday's outing. What a great time! Seemed to be a lot of people, but aside from the 4 new machines in the annex, really didn't have to wait for anything more than a minute or two. Most of the time I'd queue up for one machine and a few down the row became available so I'd hop down to those. Can't believe the level of support they had there, always an orange shirt in sight to take care of breakdowns or helping with anything. Can't recommend this show enough! Definitely going again next year.

My biggest geek moment was Big Bang Bar. That machine looks like it just came off the assembly line. Wish I had time to play it some more and figure it out. Never had to wait more than a few minutes for it, and a few times nobody was on it when I came back there.

I really loved Ghostbusters and The Hobbit, but really wasn't fair competition as Hobbit was turned all the way up and you could barely hear GB. Why Stern backed down on the full color screen is beyond me. They need to catch up in that department for sure. I wish GOT would've been set to change houses, as the house selection tricks we were trying didn't work, but was nice to play as well as Kiss.

Color DMDs all over and especially liked the new technology on some of them. Bride of Pinbot was a real treat and wish I had more time with that. The mods on CFTBL were pretty neat as well. The moon light screen was pretty slick and I couldn't stop looking at the lit up lenticular instruction card.

Only minor complaint is the headphone jacks didn't always work, and some of them were turned up pretty loud, but glad they had support for them!

#433 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Practice:

First thing this morning Trent set the grand champion score. 1.9 million

Dayummmmmm I give up! This is why I only do EM-tourneys! :p

#434 3 years ago

Thanks VFW crew for the excellent show!

#435 3 years ago

Mike Wiley won the "EM World Championship" on Friday, with Trent coming in second. This is the second year in a row for Wiley, so he's the two-time Ann Arbor show champ!

wileytrent_(resized).jpg

#436 3 years ago

Hi all,

so, after 22 hours (or more for you crazy campers) of flippin' and fixin', the 2016 VFW-AAPM Showcase is now in the books.

We had a bunch of people come visit us this weekend, and it was awesome to see the smiles and happiness of everyone who walked through our doors. We are very grateful to you all. Your contributions allow us to keep those doors open and the lights on, so that we can maintain and preserve our little corner of history. We're so glad that everyone came and had a good time.

I would also like to personally thank all of our awesome Orange Shirt (and now Red Shirt Tech) volunteers. There's absolutely NO way this show could happen without them. They should all be taking a well-deserved rest right now.

Also, a big thanks to our vendors, like Abel Electronics (http://www.abelelectronics.com/jjpinball.pdf) and Game Room Guys (http://www.gameroomguys.com) for supplying the Hobbit and newer Sterns out in our Annex. They were a huge hit.

Finally, a big hand of course to our owner Clay Harrell. Without his dedication to pinball and preservation efforts over the past decades, the VFW-AAPM wouldn't even exist in the first place. (He also worked like a banshee to keep games running this weekend).

--------

We had several folks already asking about tickets and schedule for next year. Don't worry, we're already planning on Showcase 2017. Best way to keep abreast of details is to check our website at www.vfwpinball.com, or follow us on Facebook at http://Facebook.com/vfwpinball

Also, there are a few of the official 2016 show shirts left, so if you'd like to pick one up, please head over to this thread for details;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vfw-aapm-2016-showcaseofficial-t-shirts#post-3152363

Once again, a gigantic THANK YOU to all!!!!!

Hope to see you next year,
Eric V.
VFW Show Director

#437 3 years ago

Great show Eric! Thanks to you and your crew that run the front of house and PR stuff also! You guys do a great job!

1 suggestion for next year. EM tourney, please make it swiss style (1x play 1x, 2x play 2x, noX play noX) Not much fun pulling Todd and Trent to ensure 2 strikes

You could also speed up the event by using brackalope on an ipad. It will do all the match up work for you.
If you want to keep it old school I am happy to bring you 2 more empty coffee cans for dropping in the 1x and 2x tags

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You could also speed up the event by using brackalope on an ipad. It will do all the match up work for you.

Alternatively there's https://matchplay.events - which has the same (or better) features for a knockout tournament but is entirely web based so that it works with any device, regardless of operating system.

#439 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Alternatively there's https://matchplay.events - which has the same (or better) features for a knockout tournament but is entirely web based so that it works with any device, regardless of operating system.

yes, that is the one I meant to use.

#440 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

1 suggestion for next year. EM tourney, please make it swiss style (1x play 1x, 2x play 2x, noX play noX) Not much fun pulling Todd and Trent to ensure 2 strikes

The only thing that should be done Swiss Style is skiing and hot Chocolate. The point of a random draw, is a random draw.

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The only thing that should be done Swiss Style is skiing and hot Chocolate

also the only thing that should be done with gloves, but whom is keeping track

#442 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It's not like anyone broke a piece of playfield glass or something

I had never broke a glass before; I knew it was coming at some point. So I did it in front of 300 people.

It's called showmanship people.

#443 3 years ago

Great show!

Surprisingly, the stand-out game for me this year was Bally "On Beam". It's every bit as good as my favorite wedgeheads, and it's made to want to play more 60s Bally single-players!

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bah, todd sux, that's no excuse trent can be beaten as well...

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Bah, todd sux, that's no excuse trent can be beaten as well...

And it's already mostly EMs which are way more a coin flip to begin with.

#446 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I had never broke a glass before; I knew it was coming at some point. So I did it in front of 300 people.
It's called showmanship people.

Here's to hoping it was out of the game when it broke. (How's that for looking for a silver lining?)

#447 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Here's to hoping it was out of the game when it broke. (How's that for looking for a silver lining?)

No games were harmed in the breaking of the glass. The floor was the lone recipient of all the debris.

#448 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

No games were harmed in the breaking of the glass. The floor was the lone recipient of all the debris.

No debris in a game? That barely even counts as a broken glass. Amateurs!

Showcase was awesome, as usual. I've been to all three and don't plan on missing any. My favorite part this year was the annex section of Zacs and other assorted weird import pins. Every year I wonder how Clay can squeeze more games in, and he always does. Time for a third building?

#449 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Time for a third building?

When we were building the Annex, well when the men were building it and I was watching, I knew it wasn't big enough then.
It's never enough!!!

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Great show!
Surprisingly, the stand-out game for me this year was Bally "On Beam". It's every bit as good as my favorite wedgeheads, and it's made to want to play more 60s Bally single-players!

The Bally Beam-O-Meter is awesome. Same with the extra ball feature that disables the flippers and kicks it back via a rotating outhole mech.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 399.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 149.00
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 508 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside