3tsrtt.jpg
this-is-happening-reza-farahan.gif
oh-my-god-its-happening.gif
tomorrow-annie.gif
SmartSelect_20221011_200926_Chrome (resized).jpg
The_Chinchilla_1.png
piper-thibodeau-dailypaintings-lowres-dp2803.jpg
16654335322007871963960559007251 (resized).jpg
There are 1,003 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 21.
#201 2 years ago

Awesome Godzilla pin! Super pumped for you! I love seeing all these amazing gifts. I'm really close to shipping mine out, I can't wait for my person to receive them

#202 2 years ago

Can home to some parcels and opened up an Amazon box with some twizzlers- Thank you!
It was a nice surprise!

8ED071EB-76EA-4478-BC72-B3D4B47E4AC9 (resized).jpeg8ED071EB-76EA-4478-BC72-B3D4B47E4AC9 (resized).jpeg
#203 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Just to let all know…the gift is a gift. Don’t let the monetary value weigh us down. I know the person who gave a pin wouldn’t want it to become a competition…that said, so cool! But, anything given is a gift and should be cherished…can’t wait for mine, and hope I’ve hit the mark with my santee!

It's all about putting some effort in not everyone in the hobby can afford to gift a nib pin or even close but bless those who can go overboard it's amazing and spreads joy far past your Secret Santee. I've been in other ss gift exchanges from another hobby where we all make a gift and the nightmares I've seen and been involved in was the reason why I never joined before but seeing all the positive post in the past thread I finally joined. My Secret Santee left little clues for me on or off pinside but I think he will appreciate my effort.

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

It's all about putting some effort in not everyone in the hobby can afford to gift a nib pin or even close but bless those who can go overboard it's amazing and spreads joy far past your Secret Santee. I've been in other ss gift exchanges from another hobby where we all make a gift and the nightmares I've seen and been involved in was the reason why I never joined before but seeing all the positive post in the past thread I finally joined. My Secret Santee left little clues for me on or off pinside but I think he will appreciate my effort.

Agreed! Plus, the generosity of this group is incredible. It’s so fun to see how everyone puts so much thought into their gifts. Every year people can’t wait to stalk their santee

#205 2 years ago

One of my favorites about giving:

On Christmas Eve, Della Young discovers that she has only $1.87 to buy a present for her husband Jim. She visits the nearby shop of a hairdresser, Madame Sofronie, who buys Della's long hair for $20. Della then uses the money to buy a platinum pocket watch chain for Jim. When Jim comes home from work that evening, Della admits to him that she sold her hair to buy him the chain. Jim gives Della her present-- a set of ornamental combs, which she will be unable to use until her hair grows back out. Della gives Jim the watch chain, and he tells her that he sold the watch to buy the combs. While the gifts that Jim and Della gave each other can't be used, they know how far they went to show each other their love and how invaluable their love truly is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_the_Magi

#206 2 years ago

It's been a few years since I participated. Hopefully I won't forget next year. I love seeing the gifts!!

#207 2 years ago

Package is off - godspeed little doodle.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

On Christmas Eve, Della Young discovers that she has only $1.87 to buy a present for her husband Jim. She visits the nearby shop of a hairdresser, Madame Sofronie, who buys Della's long hair for $20. Della then uses the money to buy a platinum pocket watch chain for Jim. When Jim comes home from work that evening, Della admits to him that she sold her hair to buy him the chain. Jim gives Della her present-- a set of ornamental combs, which she will be unable to use until her hair grows back out. Della gives Jim the watch chain, and he tells her that he sold the watch to buy the combs. While the gifts that Jim and Della gave each other can't be used, they know how far they went to show each other their love and how invaluable their love truly is.

hmmmm....this sounds very familiar lol...

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yep, sometimes I feel bad for my santee because I'm not a big baller, but at the end of the day I know its all about the effort you put in. Definitely stretching my budget this year especially after last years SS was so kind to me, but this is pretty much the closest thing I get to a real christmas so I really enjoy doing it! Its really a wonderful event that warms my heart week after week seeing everyone get presents big and small

#210 2 years ago

Reading this thread is so heartwarming.

Good on every one of you for creating a family like community in a public forum!

Can anyone say they've been able to read through any other thread or comment section on any other forum or social media page that featured nothing but positivity, thoughtfulness, and gratefulness? I bet you can't. This is truly amazing and the collective generous nature of everyone participating is second to none.

I've said it before, but pinball people are THE BEST people on the planet!

Finally ready to wrap all my gifts and send them off! I hope you like them, I know I do!

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from BroMan90:

I hope you like them, I know I do!

That is pretty much my litmus test. If I would like to get it, I feel good about giving it.

#212 2 years ago

dang! awesome to see people getting gifts... melting my heart like a good hallmark movie should

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

dang! awesome to see people getting gifts... melting my heart like a good hallmark movie should

I have heard filming for the made for tv program has commenced this week actually !

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That is pretty much my litmus test. If I would like to get it, I feel good about giving it.

Guess I should send out some black licorice, then. Who doesn't like black licorice?

#215 2 years ago

Thanks secret Santa!!!!!!!!! Cool T-shirt’s and some Batman stuff!!!!nd. Helper ver interested in the wrapping paper. C8CD337E-8A1D-41E3-967B-3F4C45BBE333 (resized).jpegC8CD337E-8A1D-41E3-967B-3F4C45BBE333 (resized).jpeg

21270FC0-FFF7-4B6E-AB30-BCA6F55AB2B6 (resized).jpeg21270FC0-FFF7-4B6E-AB30-BCA6F55AB2B6 (resized).jpegAA881F3A-FC08-4462-8FD2-207AB9DCBBBE (resized).jpegAA881F3A-FC08-4462-8FD2-207AB9DCBBBE (resized).jpegB043D2ED-D1C9-49CF-A286-A53D5817A69A (resized).jpegB043D2ED-D1C9-49CF-A286-A53D5817A69A (resized).jpeg
#216 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Guess I should send out some black licorice, then. Who doesn't like black licorice?

Hope my Santee has a strong stomach:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/candy-corn/page/2#post-6514725

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hope my Santee has a strong stomach:

O. My.

#218 2 years ago

If Nightmare Before Christmas is part of your holiday …

While boxing up gifties for friends and family, I just caught a goof…

in the first part of the movie, when Sally is fixing a picnic basket to take to Jack's, she corks the bottle. The cork is in deeper than flush, but you can see it. As she swings down the thread out the window, there is no cork. On the ground, after she sews herself back together, the cork is sticking out of the bottle.

We love Nightmare. Our big hoLiday is Halloween, so of course we watch it from October through Christmas.

Cheers

#219 2 years ago

Thank you Secret Santa .I will be waiting for the magical day to open .Will be ordering mine and sending out tomorrow as I’m down for the count ,got my booster shot and is hitting me pretty good .

A419E5F1-6AD3-4A69-8ECA-D4A6CFFE238D (resized).jpegA419E5F1-6AD3-4A69-8ECA-D4A6CFFE238D (resized).jpeg
#220 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thank you Secret Santa .I will be waiting for the magical day to open .Will be ordering mine and sending out tomorrow as I’m down for the count ,got my booster shot and is hitting me pretty good .
[quoted image]

Did either of the first two shots bother you? Haven't heard much about the booster causing issues.

#221 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Did either of the first two shots bother you? Haven't heard much about the booster causing issues.

First was just a sore arm .Second was that plus body ache .Booster is the same as the second just a little more severe .I had covid early on and my Dr told me the effects of the vaccine will be stronger because of having had it .Not that bad altogether, I always move around when sick because of having MS .Seems to help me get over illness quicker but that’s just my theory .I’ll gladly take the rest now though

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I work in a jail/court system and my wife at a hospital so we think we were around it a lot mostly early on .

#223 2 years ago
Quoted from Petie423:

I can not even begin to express how extremely grateful I am for the gifts that I received from my secret Santa. I did not even believe the call I received on Friday saying that I have something coming freight today and when my wife sent me a picture of what arrived I knew that I needed to take my lunch break right then and there, drag my dad from his house to help me, and get this pinball table set up. It still doesn't even feel real to me that, that is what arrived at my house. I will never not be thankful for this incredibly generous gift I received, whoever you are out there, if I could give you a big hug, I would...and dammit, I'm a good hugger.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have a feeling next years participation in SS will likely double. Well done!

#224 2 years ago

Thank you Santa for this handsome mug

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#225 2 years ago

My package is on its way!! Toss it in the mail today! 4 Days til it arrives!!

#226 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

I can't wait!!!!

LOL. J.K.
But what if I wasn't?

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

HUGE CONGRATS! I have been asked not to share the name of your Pinside Secret Santa (wouldn't be so Secret if I did), but this is easily one of the most rewarding things that Nicole and I have been a part of. Not to be too sappy, but when I received the call a few months back to help coordinate this unbelievable gesture it brought tears to my eyes and filled my heart with hope. This individual is among us in the community and wanted to do something special this holiday season. No agenda, no need for recognition, just pure kindness and love. I can tell you that they have been as excited for you to receive this as you likely were to see that it wasn't a mistake haha. I am honored that Flip N Out Pinball could be a small part of it and I am even more humbled by the support and love of this community. Pinball family and friends are the best. And just like family, we all have our trying times, but at the end of the day, we are here for one another. Congrats again Petie423 and play the hell out of that thing buddy!!! Merry Christmas everyone

fantastic. absolutely fantastic. congrats all!

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

4 days via Canada Post?? Must be in the same city to be that quick

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

4 days via Canada Post?? Must be in the same city to be that quick

"4"... "Days"...

#230 2 years ago

I just got 5 tickets to a hockey game for me and my kids
Thank you soooo much Secret Santa
It will be my boys 1st hockey game
Iam so pumped not sure what to say
But thanks a million and god bless

2DB74009-2462-43F1-B665-E20D8F7182A1 (resized).jpeg2DB74009-2462-43F1-B665-E20D8F7182A1 (resized).jpeg
#231 2 years ago
Quoted from PappaDubz:

[quoted image]

Fantastic. Great idea.

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from PappaDubz:

[quoted image]

Very cool and thoughtful ! Awesome gift

#233 2 years ago

Love this thread! I gotta get moving and get my gifts out!

#234 2 years ago

In the past I have waited…but my little kid in me couldn’t! Sweet R&M mod! I have actually looked at this mod. Thank you SS. Already installed!

013CD260-E55C-459E-8432-5E3293836D09 (resized).jpeg013CD260-E55C-459E-8432-5E3293836D09 (resized).jpeg5DB37AE0-FA2C-4740-91EB-D54F76F527E3 (resized).jpeg5DB37AE0-FA2C-4740-91EB-D54F76F527E3 (resized).jpegD9F173A9-92A9-4AF9-96C4-6423769BEF97 (resized).jpegD9F173A9-92A9-4AF9-96C4-6423769BEF97 (resized).jpegE2CB1242-9552-4883-B5C2-491955DD695A (resized).jpegE2CB1242-9552-4883-B5C2-491955DD695A (resized).jpeg
#235 2 years ago

Got a box today from Santa. No mention of live animals, so it’ll stay closed for now. We don’t even have our tree up yet to put it under but hopefully this weekend. Thanks in advance, Santa.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Fantastic. Great idea.

the cool thing is that 2 of my kids were born in Dallas Texas so we get to watch the Dallas Stars and the Coyotes

#238 2 years ago

Waiting on one more item to arrive to ship my box out! Almost there!

#239 2 years ago

Shipping mine out tomorrow!

#240 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

In the past I have waited…but my little kid in me couldn’t! Sweet R&M mod! I have actually looked at this mod. Thank you SS. Already installed!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool table. Looks like a bb bullet.

#241 2 years ago

Woohoo! Got a notification this morning about a parcel being ready for collection. Super excited to see pinball stickers on the box .

IMG_20211202_122355 (resized).jpgIMG_20211202_122355 (resized).jpg

Unlike some others, I didn't have the patience to wait until Christmas. The excuse I'm going with is that we haven't set up our tree yet, so where was I meant to place it?

IMG_20211202_122830 (resized).jpgIMG_20211202_122830 (resized).jpg

Sweet! These are a prefect - my Jurassic Park just arrived a few weeks ago.

Thanks so much to my SS for your thoughtful and generous gift . Can' t wait to install them!

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from Habermania:

Thanks for saying that. It is a good reminder. I want to make sure that the recipient knows I took the time to consider them with all they receive.

That's the key - put some effort into it, do your research and find cool things that they may like. I bought a few things for my Santee and I hope they like at least one or two things.... I've loved the stuff I've gotten through the years and hope my Santees have as well!

This is probably the best thread on the Internet.

#243 2 years ago

Made it about 36 hours .I’ll never grow up .Big Thank You to Santa!! They match perfectly with what I am doing with our family favorite.Up The Irons and Merry Christmas !

43EC513F-3A29-4938-ABBE-DEDC7F51D7E5 (resized).jpeg43EC513F-3A29-4938-ABBE-DEDC7F51D7E5 (resized).jpeg65254EC1-16E7-4ACC-A77A-2BAABE382455 (resized).jpeg65254EC1-16E7-4ACC-A77A-2BAABE382455 (resized).jpeg
#244 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Made it about 36 hours .I’ll never grow up .Big Thank You to Santa!! They match perfectly with what I am doing with our family favorite.Up The Irons and Merry Christmas !
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Just an FYI, if you don't plan on tucking them in the slots, I make an oversized version of them with a border that will cover the slots. Just shoot me a PM and I will send them to you.

Merry Christmas!

#245 2 years ago

Buckle up, ladies and gents. This one's going to be a long one -- and rightfully so, because my Secret Santa clearly went the extra mile to make this special, fun, and personal, and Santa deserves to be recognized.

I received a shipping notification from UPS late last week regarding a package en route from a company I didn't recognize. I wondered if it might be my Pinside SS already ... and a few days later, a sizable package arrived!

20211129_122832 (resized).jpg20211129_122832 (resized).jpg

I knew I was in for a treat when I noticed Santa even used the reference number field to include "HO HO HO":

20211129_123710 (resized).jpg20211129_123710 (resized).jpg

Then the packing list enclosure caught my eye -- because I could see through the paper that it looked it had lines of printed text:

20211129_123801 (resized).jpg20211129_123801 (resized).jpg

Sure enough, I extricated the paper and found it was indeed a letter from Santa, containing clues about my TWELVE gifts!

20211129_123058a (resized).jpg20211129_123058a (resized).jpg

Knowing there was no way I could wait til Christmas, I convinced myself to at least wait until the wife & kids were available so we could open them together and make it a family affair. We opened up the box to find a smorgasbord of presents:

20211129_181941 (resized).jpg20211129_181941 (resized).jpg

20211129_182039 (resized).jpg20211129_182039 (resized).jpg

As instructed, we identified Gift #1 ... we found it odd that it wasn't wrapped like all the others -- it was a pet store take-home carrier box:

20211129_182100 (resized).jpg20211129_182100 (resized).jpg

I paused and took this moment to explain to my family about the running joke in Pinside Secret Santa regarding Chinchillas, assuming this box MUST be a reference to that. Everyone was glad I explained this, because then we opened it up and:

20211129_182223 (resized).jpg20211129_182223 (resized).jpg

Perfectly played, Santa, this was hilarious and I love the shirt! Very fitting considering the family recently played the new Godzilla game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next up... Gift #2 in a Santa box:

20211129_182426a (resized).jpg20211129_182426a (resized).jpg

The clue was "Use caution what you pick next." We discussed this around the table and decided it was either something caution-striped themed (for our Data East Jurassic Park), or it was a set of tool picks. Our second guess was correct:

20211129_182350 (resized).jpg20211129_182350 (resized).jpg

On to Gift #3, in fun Marvel superhero paper:

20211129_182406 (resized).jpg20211129_182406 (resized).jpg

The clue here was, "Even our furry friends can join the fun." We had to assume it was some sort of toys for our pets, though we found this somewhat confusing, unsure how Santa knew we had pets.

20211129_182527 (resized).jpg20211129_182527 (resized).jpg

Sure enough, it was a batch of wonderful cat toys! And then I realized my Santa had REALLY been doing his/her homework. (Will use "he/his" hereafter merely for probability's sake.) He must have been digging into my Pinside activity and found that we had a cat, either from a few pictures I'd posted, or from this recent story about how this cat had gotten trapped inside our Swords of Fury: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cats-and-pinballs-/page/67#post-6451134

Now ... as it turns out this was an even more poignant gift than Santa had probably realized or intended. This cat -- who the family loves dearly -- has been with us for 16 years. He was orphaned as a tiny kitten, and we raised him -- milk bottles and all. He was the first co-pet my wife and I had together. He's older than our kids. In fact, it dawned on me recently that he's known ALL the other pets we've had over the years -- including three dogs and three other cats. Age and kidney problems were finally catching up with him, though, and he passed away on Halloween this year. (Worse yet, I wasn't even there because I was up at Pinball Expo as a vendor. Thankfully the family was with him until the end, though.) Here he is, our wonderful Gryphon, my Lionman forever. I've printed this picture and it hangs above our Swords of Fury:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Painfully sad as Gryphon's death was (my 7-year-old son was particularly devastated, as we expected he would be), Santa's gift here still has a happy ending. In recent months, we recognized Gryphon was on limited time -- so given the kids' love of cats and to help soften the blow a little, a few weeks prior to Gryphon's passing we adopted another kitten .... Pinside, meet Rocket!

20211015_134128 (resized).jpg20211015_134128 (resized).jpg

So Rocket is taking FULL advantage of these excellent new toys in full rambunctious kitten style -- more than Gryphon ever would have. So thank you Santa, for this thoughtful gift that allowed me to share our furry friends' stories.

Next up was Gift #4:

20211129_182557 (resized).jpg20211129_182557 (resized).jpg

The clue: "Sock it to me!" Of course, this one had to be socks:

20211129_182633 (resized).jpg20211129_182633 (resized).jpg

Ding ding ding! We were on a roll. Next, Gift #5:

20211129_182701 (resized).jpg20211129_182701 (resized).jpg

Clue: "Hope you find this one illuminating." My daughter nailed this one, "It has to be light bulbs!" she said.

20211129_182756 (resized).jpg20211129_182756 (resized).jpg

Right she was -- four packs of Comet LEDs, always important to have on hand for whatever machine we shop out next! On to #6:

20211129_182831 (resized).jpg20211129_182831 (resized).jpg

Clue: "This one is made to hang around." Given the season, we reached a consensus that it must be an ornament....but what kind?

20211129_183044 (resized).jpg20211129_183044 (resized).jpg

The amazing 3D printed and decorated Twilight Zone pinball machine kind! This ornament is fantastic, excellent details, apparently an officially licensed product to boot. ***Stay tuned to the end of this post, to see what became of this ornament.*** Next up, #7:

20211129_183129 (resized).jpg20211129_183129 (resized).jpg

The clue: "Do you have a magnetic personality?" I guessed it had to be one of those magnetic retrieval tools -- we all need these and yet they're easy to misplace.

20211129_183247a (resized).jpg20211129_183247a (resized).jpg

I was partially correct -- a retrieval tool AND a magnetic bowl so I don't lose small parts and tools! Now, onto #8:

20211129_183328 (resized).jpg20211129_183328 (resized).jpg

The clue: "Hopefully this is self exPLANEatory." This one stumped us. Obviously it had something to do with a plane, but we didn't know what kind or why.

20211129_183514 (resized).jpg20211129_183514 (resized).jpg

It turned out to be a super cool keychain made from the skin of a retired 747! Again, this was more proof that my Santa had done his research -- I have posts here on Pinside where I've talked a little about my career; I work in the aerospace industry, including the Space Shuttle (9 years), Piper Aircraft (3 years), Space Launch System / Artemis rocket (3 years), and the Atlas V rocket (3 years). So this was a definitely win by Santa; I've never even seen these before.

Onto #9:

20211129_183638 (resized).jpg20211129_183638 (resized).jpg

This clue was somewhat more cryptic: "This might be fit for a King, or you could shuttle it off elsewhere." The "King" part really threw us -- particularly with the capital K, so we ventured a guess that it was something to do with the Space Shuttle, either in reference to my career or the pinball machine (which we own).

20211129_200244 (resized).jpg20211129_200244 (resized).jpg

An RBF keychain! Makes perfect sense for Space Shuttle, but we were still stumped on the King part. We did figure this out eventually after Gift #12 though, so I'll circle back to this shortly. Now for #10:

20211129_183818 (resized).jpg20211129_183818 (resized).jpg

Clue: "Don't forget and leaf these in the toolbox." Great clue -- but I was onto Santa this time ... a tool of some kind, and the likely-intentional misspelling of "leave" as "leaf"? Must be leaf switch adjusters!

20211129_183925 (resized).jpg20211129_183925 (resized).jpg

PERFECT timing on this one, Santa, because I'd recently misplaced my only one and really needed to replace it! Next, #11:

20211129_183944 (resized).jpg20211129_183944 (resized).jpg

Clue: "Now you've finally grasped it!" We weren't really sure -- my daughter guessed a clamp of some kind.

20211129_184046 (resized).jpg20211129_184046 (resized).jpg

We were wrong -- it was a handy bulb grasper! We haven't used one of these despite all the games we've shopped, so we're looking forward to trying these out!

And now ... finally ... the grand finale -- Gift #12:

20211129_184150 (resized).jpg20211129_184150 (resized).jpg

The clue: "We always remember our first, topper?" Another somewhat cryptic clue, but obviously a topper was coming into play here.

20211129_184311 (resized).jpg20211129_184311 (resized).jpg

It's a custom street sign, labeled as Sky Kings Drive! Now the rest of the clue was clear. Again, Santa did his research -- either through my posts, my collection info, or maybe he even watched my Rocket City Pinball seminar(s), he deduced that Sky Kings was the first game I got when I started my own collection back in 2015. Circling back to Gift #9, now we understood the King-with-a-capital-K reference -- because a Remove Before Flight tag would work just as well on Sky Kings (airplane/skydiving theme) as it would on Space Shuttle.

I still have Sky Kings -- it's over at my parents' house right now, actually, because I ran out of room and my dad loves it -- so I had to swing by to install it and get some nice photos. Thankfully, Santa included some mounting components as well.

20211130_170705 (resized).jpg20211130_170705 (resized).jpg 20211130_170709 (resized).jpg20211130_170709 (resized).jpg 20211130_170639 (resized).jpg20211130_170639 (resized).jpg

As you can see, the sign is of very high quality manufacture, with reflective properties and all!

So, I have to give a HUUUUUUGE thanks to my Secret Santa. You clearly embraced this activity and dug deep to give thoughtful gifts and to make it enjoyable. My family had a wonderful time trying to solve your clues and opening all the gifts together -- we opened three each -- so you absolutely nailed the spirit of the season and made this so memorable. We're truly thankful for your generosity and effort! I hope you've enjoyed my retelling of our fun evening and have been experiencing a bloom of satisfaction that comes with giving. THANK YOU SANTA, we absolutely appreciate all you've done for us, and I hope I've been able to adequately express it here with this post.

Oh and one more thing ... remember I mentioned something interesting became of the pinball ornament? I recently saw a picture where someone snuck a Yoda figure into their parents' nativity scene, commenting how they hadn't noticed yet. I found this amusingly inspiring ... so while I was at my parents' house installing the topper on Sky Kings, I snuck over to my mom's curio cabinet where she collects those Parade of Cows figures ... and I snuck the pinball machine in there among them. I'm playing the long game on this one -- I plan to wait this one out and see how long it takes for her to notice that it's in there, lol ... once she finally does, it'll find a permanent/recurring home on our annual Christmas tree!

20211130_171236 (resized).jpg20211130_171236 (resized).jpg

#246 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

The amazing 3D printed and decorated Twilight Zone pinball machine kind! This ornament is fantastic, excellent details, apparently an officially licensed product to boot. ***Stay tuned to the end of this post, to see what became of this ornament.*** Next up, #7:

That is awesome!!!

#247 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Buckle up, ladies and gents. This one's going to be a long one -- and rightfully so, because my Secret Santa clearly went the extra mile to make this special, fun, and personal, and Santa deserves to be recognized.
I received a shipping notification from UPS late last week regarding a package en route from a company I didn't recognize. I wondered if it might be my Pinside SS already ... and a few days later, a sizable package arrived!
[quoted image]
I knew I was in for a treat when I noticed Santa even used the reference number field to include "HO HO HO":
[quoted image]
Then the packing list enclosure caught my eye -- because I could see through the paper that it looked it had lines of printed text:
[quoted image]
Sure enough, I extricated the paper and found it was indeed a letter from Santa, containing clues about my TWELVE gifts!
[quoted image]
Knowing there was no way I could wait til Christmas, I convinced myself to at least wait until the wife & kids were available so we could open them together and make it a family affair. We opened up the box to find a smorgasbord of presents:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
As instructed, we identified Gift #1 ... we found it odd that it wasn't wrapped like all the others -- it was a pet store take-home carrier box:
[quoted image]
I paused and took this moment to explain to my family about the running joke in Pinside Secret Santa regarding Chinchillas, assuming this box MUST be a reference to that. Everyone was glad I explained this, because then we opened it up and:
[quoted image]
Perfectly played, Santa, this was hilarious and I love the shirt! Very fitting considering the family recently played the new Godzilla game and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next up... Gift #2 in a Santa box:
[quoted image]
The clue was "Use caution what you pick next." We discussed this around the table and decided it was either something caution-striped themed (for our Data East Jurassic Park), or it was a set of tool picks. Our second guess was correct:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The clue here was, "Even our furry friends can join the fun." We had to assume it was some sort of toys for our pets, though we found this somewhat confusing, unsure how Santa knew we had pets.
[quoted image]
Sure enough, it was a batch of wonderful cat toys! And then I realized my Santa had REALLY been doing his/her homework. (Will use "he/his" hereafter merely for probability's sake.) He must have been digging into my Pinside activity and found that we had a cat, either from a few pictures I'd posted, or from this recent story about how this cat had gotten trapped inside our Swords of Fury: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cats-and-pinballs-/page/67#post-6451134
Now ... as it turns out this was an even more poignant gift than Santa had probably realized or intended. This cat -- who the family loves dearly -- has been with us for 16 years. He was orphaned as a tiny kitten, and we raised him -- milk bottles and all. He was the first co-pet my wife and I had together. He's older than our kids. In fact, it dawned on me recently that he's known ALL the other pets we've had over the years -- including three dogs and three other cats. Age and kidney problems were finally catching up with him, though, and he passed away on Halloween this year. (Worse yet, I wasn't even there because I was up at Pinball Expo as a vendor. Thankfully the family was with him until the end, though.) Here he is, our wonderful Gryphon, my Lionman forever. I've printed this picture and it hangs above our Swords of Fury:
[quoted image]
Painfully sad as Gryphon's death was (my 7-year-old son was particularly devastated, as we expected he would be), Santa's gift here still has a happy ending. In recent months, we recognized Gryphon was on limited time -- so given the kids' love of cats and to help soften the blow a little, a few weeks prior to Gryphon's passing we adopted another kitten .... Pinside, meet Rocket!
[quoted image]
So Rocket is taking FULL advantage of these excellent new toys in full rambunctious kitten style -- more than Gryphon ever would have. So thank you Santa, for this thoughtful gift that allowed me to share our furry friends' stories.
Next up was Gift #4:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Clue: "Hope you find this one illuminating." My daughter nailed this one, "It has to be light bulbs!" she said.
[quoted image]
Right she was -- four packs of Comet LEDs, always important to have on hand for whatever machine we shop out next! On to #6:
[quoted image]
Clue: "This one is made to hang around." Given the season, we reached a consensus that it must be an ornament....but what kind?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The clue: "Do you have a magnetic personality?" I guessed it had to be one of those magnetic retrieval tools -- we all need these and yet they're easy to misplace.
[quoted image]
I was partially correct -- a retrieval tool AND a magnetic bowl so I don't lose small parts and tools! Now, onto #8:
[quoted image]
The clue: "Hopefully this is self exPLANEatory." This one stumped us. Obviously it had something to do with a plane, but we didn't know what kind or why.
[quoted image]
It turned out to be a super cool keychain made from the skin of a retired 747! Again, this was more proof that my Santa had done his research -- I have posts here on Pinside where I've talked a little about my career; I work in the aerospace industry, including the Space Shuttle (9 years), Piper Aircraft (3 years), Space Launch System / Artemis rocket (3 years), and the Atlas V rocket (3 years). So this was a definitely win by Santa; I've never even seen these before.
Onto #9:
[quoted image]
This clue was somewhat more cryptic: "This might be fit for a King, or you could shuttle it off elsewhere." The "King" part really threw us -- particularly with the capital K, so we ventured a guess that it was something to do with the Space Shuttle, either in reference to my career or the pinball machine (which we own).
[quoted image]
An RBF keychain! Makes perfect sense for Space Shuttle, but we were still stumped on the King part. We did figure this out eventually after Gift #12 though, so I'll circle back to this shortly. Now for #10:
[quoted image]
Clue: "Don't forget and leaf these in the toolbox." Great clue -- but I was onto Santa this time ... a tool of some kind, and the likely-intentional misspelling of "leave" as "leaf"? Must be leaf switch adjusters!
[quoted image]
PERFECT timing on this one, Santa, because I'd recently misplaced my only one and really needed to replace it! Next, #11:
[quoted image]
Clue: "Now you've finally grasped it!" We weren't really sure -- my daughter guessed a clamp of some kind.
[quoted image]
We were wrong -- it was a handy bulb grasper! We haven't used one of these despite all the games we've shopped, so we're looking forward to trying these out!
[quoted image]
The clue: "We always remember our first, topper?" Another somewhat cryptic clue, but obviously a topper was coming into play here.
[quoted image]
It's a custom street sign, labeled as Sky Kings Drive! Now the rest of the clue was clear. Again, Santa did his research -- either through my posts, my collection info, or maybe he even watched my Rocket City Pinball seminar(s), he deduced that Sky Kings was the first game I got when I started my own collection back in 2015. Circling back to Gift #9, now we understood the King-with-a-capital-K reference -- because a Remove Before Flight tag would work just as well on Sky Kings (airplane/skydiving theme) as it would on Space Shuttle.
I still have Sky Kings -- it's over at my parents' house right now, actually, because I ran out of room and my dad loves it -- so I had to swing by to install it and get some nice photos. Thankfully, Santa included some mounting components as well.
[quoted image] [quoted image] [quoted image]
As you can see, the sign is of very high quality manufacture, with reflective properties and all!
So, I have to give a HUUUUUUGE thanks to my Secret Santa. You clearly embraced this activity and dug deep to give thoughtful gifts and to make it enjoyable. My family had a wonderful time trying to solve your clues and opening all the gifts together -- we opened three each -- so you absolutely nailed the spirit of the season and made this so memorable. We're truly thankful for your generosity and effort! I hope you've enjoyed my retelling of our fun evening and have been experiencing a bloom of satisfaction that comes with giving. THANK YOU SANTA, we absolutely appreciate all you've done for us, and I hope I've been able to adequately express it here with this post.
Oh and one more thing ... remember I mentioned something interesting became of the pinball ornament? I recently saw a picture where someone snuck a Yoda figure into their parents' nativity scene, commenting how they hadn't noticed yet. I found this amusingly inspiring ... so while I was at my parents' house installing the topper on Sky Kings, I snuck over to my mom's curio cabinet where she collects those Parade of Cows figures ... and I snuck the pinball machine in there among them. I'm playing the long game on this one -- I plan to wait this one out and see how long it takes for her to notice that it's in there, lol ... once she finally does, it'll find a permanent/recurring home on our annual Christmas tree!
[quoted image]

This is more than awesome, it's grand..! Congrats Secret Santa, just brilliant and inspiring!

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is awesome!!!

Knocked it out of the park santa! Nice share of your awesome gifts!

#249 2 years ago

Wow @SkyKings2301 's santa knocked one out of the park! Nice job santa and excellent thorough share. I feel like I was there opening your gifts with you.

#250 2 years ago

Well done santa, you absolutely nailed it - from the t-shirt on! that is frikkin awesome! And such a well written post! Cheers to Gryphon, welcome Rocket and best wishes to the rest of the SkyKing family! Awesome!

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Next up was Gift #4:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Onto #9:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image] [quoted image] [quoted image]
[quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dacula, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 210.00
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,003 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2021-pinside-secret-santa-participants-thread/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.