(Topic ID: 256713)

Official 2020 Texas Pinball Festival Thread

By Ed_in_Texas

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 7.22.23 AM (resized).png
    D4A8C7C8-2C12-4227-AB02-0F9ABC61A9DE (resized).jpeg
    BF62141D-FF48-4535-A1B3-78C07D54ACE3 (resized).jpeg
    IMAG9799 (resized).jpg
    OCCxAxekSBKqjMswb0W0jg (resized).jpg
    B915EA63-6A9A-430E-B40C-346FF872A192 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200315-125722_Gmail (resized).jpg
    me (resized).JPG
    55444908_10161622385005506_3551466112979828736_o (resized).jpg
    55759961_10161622268630506_6625802784333627392_o (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200313-142141~2 (resized).png
    jaws (resized).jpg
    AC635A51-D292-4C42-AC2B-216F2E206FBE (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    9739DBC1-B0DB-48E9-A38A-35787CABC9B4 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #270 Official TPF announcement Posted by pinlink (4 years ago)

Post #272 Official TPF announcement Posted by Ed_in_Texas (4 years ago)

Post #349 GoFundMe Posted by way2wyrd (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from GenXRJDM:

Jerry World?

HELL. NO.

I live here, and I honestly would not even go if it moved there. Number one, Jerry Jones is a douche. Number two, he already tried to fleece Dallas out of money to pay for that monstrosity, and I declined it once already, thank you very much. Number three, that entire area is a traffic NIGHTMARE. Number four, there's no bloody hotel in the stadium, much less free happy hour. Number five, Irving police.....don't even get me started.

*edit* If anyone wants to buy some homemade BBQ sauce.... I make it. Just saying. I have a pressure canner, and although something that high in acid (tomatoes) doesn't really *require* pressure canning, it's what I do. The stuff keeps a long ass time. :p

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

What? You know that the Cowboys haven't been in Irving for years now, right? They have a new stadium in Arlington..
    And YES, go take a tour of it for anyone coming to Dallas. It's worth it.

Yeah, I misspoke. Big whoop. Both of those areas suck, in terms of traffic and policing thereof. I have to drive through Irving to get to Arlington from my place, hence the brain fart.

Either way, what I said still applies. The entire area around the new stadium is a fucking nightmare of epic proportions, especially with the Wal-Mart right there across the street.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

They have been around for a long time, and they have stellar reviews. They also keep opening up new restaurant concepts. All good things.

Gonna have to look this up...never even heard of em.

1 week later
    #102 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

There are a lot of toll roads in Dallas that the locals know how to avoid. It’s cheaper to use Uber if you’re not a local

Huh? The only toll roads you might possibly take between *EITHER* airport would be George Bush (180), 121, or the express lanes on 635 and (Really no point here, as you would save less than 5 minutes since you're going to get off on....) , the Dallas North Tollway. We don't have a lot of toll roads compared to like...Miami...or Houston....that are utterly MANDATORY to get where you need to go. There's always an alternate route.

The DNT is pretty cheap, compared to the express lanes on 635. Like maybe 3 or 4 bucks of tolls to get all the way to Frisco.

Use Uber if you're not going anywhere other than the hotel and walking distance. Get a car if you plan or need to go elsewhere. If you don't want to pay tolls...it's really EASY to avoid them...just stay on the service road, especially the DNT. North of 635, and for a little ways south, there's service road all the way up to Frisco. It's a million and a half lights, but hey... no toll.

Google Maps is just as good as any local at avoiding tolls...if you tell it to.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Ah, yes, the "LGBT" Tollway. Hah.

I'm local and I don't even get this joke. I'm assuming it has something to do with it always being abbreviated PGBT. (Literally have never heard anyone local conflate it with LGBT, as a joke or otherwise...)

Frankly, I think that was an asinine name either way, but then again 635 is technically "LBJ Highway" so whatever. Might as well stick with a theme, I guess.

Can't wait for them to rename 75 to the "PGBTJr"....

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Huh! I have friends down there and visit often, and have heard it a LOT. (However, my 'local' friends live up in Denton, at the university, which may be why.)

Yeah...I'm 38. College humor isn't exactly my forte anymore.

1 week later
    #155 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Is there a tournament for machines that don’t have a deep rule set? Games that someone who hasn’t played them before wouldn’t be at a huge disadvantage, not knowing the deep rules?

Deep rule sets very rarely come into play in tournaments, unless you end up in the finals with Keith, Trent, Colin, Steve, or <insert any other top 50 player>. Most people are just going for a multiball, maybe stacked with a playfield multiplier if it exists on that game, and a mode running at the same time. I mean........that's mostly what I do and it's worked out pretty well for me over the years.

Quoted from LTG:

I'm going to the Texas Pinball Festival.

Hell yeah!

#191 4 years ago

Yep...taking pics of the waitresses...not creepy at all....

That looks like fun slate for the Wizards tournament, but I'm going to have to do a lot of learning in the next few weeks.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

The pictures are from the restaurant across the street from the TPF.We took pics to show the pinheads that stayed home.I had no idea we were belittling the poor girls.Now I am woke!

I didn't say that, so don't put words in my mouth. It's hard to belittle someone's VOLUNTARY situation they put themselves in. I said it's creepy. Which it is.

#201 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

It is not creepy,so shut the fuck up!

Really? You think that's going to work on me? What's next? Threats of physical violence? Come on.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

No violence but I can buy you a beer at the Fast Pitch bar Saturday night.

I'm happy to meet up with anyone. My wife and I usually ARE at the meetup at Fast Pitch...just not the last few years, because we haven't gone to the show, sadly. BUT NOT THIS YEAR. This year, it's party time. No games of my own at the show for the first time I've ever gone. Not sure if we'll make the actual meetup this time, because kid has school on Friday...depends on when they schedule it for...

#256 4 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

If they cancel without refunds they'd have a VERY large crowd of pissed off people.

I'm not expecting a ticket refund (even though that's the lion's share of my expenses), but tournament refunds (minus transaction fees) should DEFINITELY be on the table. Most of that money goes to trophies, the cash payouts, and paying the TD (Colin, Ken, whoever is in charge any given year). My understanding is very little of that money goes to actual show expenses.

#277 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Maybe we could still order shirts and other goodies? Still raffle the Wonka pin?
    I would still do it to support them.

Me too. I'd hit up the raffle if they decided to do it on the side. I was going to buy some tickets anyways.

I'm sure merch will probably be available for a while..they're not just going to burn them, and it might be kind of a novelty item at this point. Knew I should've ordered one of those hoodies lol.

#342 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

What sold you on texas? I felt the same way in Frisco. People very friendly,patient and sincere. Nice weather too!

It's nice in March, kind of brutal June-September though.. Hope you like 100+ straight days of 100+ weather...

1 month later
    #393 4 years ago

Was kind of surprised how light the box with 2 hoodies felt...thought I was going to be disappointed. Nope, they keep you nice and toasty, for sure. Definitely does a much better job than the Old Navy hoodie I've been using for years that I've worn so much it's got a ripped and bare elbow. No doubt I'll get a bunch of odd looks because this thing is ridiculously purple, and I'm not really known for my flamboyant choices in clothing, but oh well. Worth the wait.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2020-texas-pinball-festival-thread?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.