(Topic ID: 256713)

Official 2020 Texas Pinball Festival Thread

By Ed_in_Texas

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 7.22.23 AM (resized).png
    D4A8C7C8-2C12-4227-AB02-0F9ABC61A9DE (resized).jpeg
    BF62141D-FF48-4535-A1B3-78C07D54ACE3 (resized).jpeg
    IMAG9799 (resized).jpg
    OCCxAxekSBKqjMswb0W0jg (resized).jpg
    B915EA63-6A9A-430E-B40C-346FF872A192 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200315-125722_Gmail (resized).jpg
    me (resized).JPG
    55444908_10161622385005506_3551466112979828736_o (resized).jpg
    55759961_10161622268630506_6625802784333627392_o (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200313-142141~2 (resized).png
    jaws (resized).jpg
    AC635A51-D292-4C42-AC2B-216F2E206FBE (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 4.15.25 PM (resized).png
    9739DBC1-B0DB-48E9-A38A-35787CABC9B4 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

It is not creepy,so shut the fuck up!

Really? You think that's going to work on me? What's next? Threats of physical violence? Come on.

#202 4 years ago

No violence but I can buy you a beer at the Fast Pitch bar Saturday night.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

No violence but I can buy you a beer at the Fast Pitch bar Saturday night.

I'm happy to meet up with anyone. My wife and I usually ARE at the meetup at Fast Pitch...just not the last few years, because we haven't gone to the show, sadly. BUT NOT THIS YEAR. This year, it's party time. No games of my own at the show for the first time I've ever gone. Not sure if we'll make the actual meetup this time, because kid has school on Friday...depends on when they schedule it for...

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm happy to meet up with anyone.

Always great to see you !

LTG : )

#206 4 years ago

I hope they schedule it for Saturday night.

#208 4 years ago

6 pm – “The next 100 years of pinball” – deeproot pinball

That looks interesting, though I guess all the cats will be out of their bags by the time of this seminar...

#209 4 years ago
    4AD24FD1-6BC5-4564-91D0-383EA2A40DE8 (resized).jpeg4AD24FD1-6BC5-4564-91D0-383EA2A40DE8 (resized).jpegC224FE28-9DA3-4A11-A7B7-7C0D47950562 (resized).jpegC224FE28-9DA3-4A11-A7B7-7C0D47950562 (resized).jpeg
    #211 4 years ago

So is the show gonna be dead due to coronavirus concerns? I’m reconsidering whether I go or wait till next year. Do they do refunds or ship shirts that were purchased?

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

So is the show gonna be dead due to coronavirus concerns? I’m reconsidering whether I go or wait till next year. Do they do refunds or ship shirts that were purchased?

See this earlier post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2020-texas-pinball-festival-thread/page/4#post-5500812

I'm sure this is on a lot of folks minds; don't see anything addressing it on the actual site, but for folks who are traveling significant distances to make this show, I'd hope we'd have some type of confirmation either way in the next week or so in order to plan accordingly (cancel travel plans, get refunds, etc.)

#213 4 years ago
    189EB6AC-81D7-49BD-90A5-A68357B63838 (resized).jpeg189EB6AC-81D7-49BD-90A5-A68357B63838 (resized).jpeg
    #214 4 years ago

Someone ask him about the playfield issues.

#215 4 years ago

I have 2 weekend passes for sale. $110 for both.

#216 4 years ago

The show must go on.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

The show must go on.

Yeah, because pinball is more important than people’s lives.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

#218 4 years ago

Ed
    Please keep this show on!
    I’m coming into TPF from AR
    I’m in Phoenix now traveling thru Las Vegas and Phoenix airport at busy restaurants around lots of people who are going on about their business and enjoying themselves...as should we have the opportunity to do at TPF soon!

#219 4 years ago

So you are taking refuge in your house, never to go outside to mow, get food, gas up your vehicle, take kids to school, etc? Many ways to pick up something. You never know who is infected.

I choose to live life outside my home.

#220 4 years ago

Then what do you have a house for? Seems like a waste of money!

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Then what do you have a house for? Seems like a waste of money!

Lol you must live a “sheltered” life

#222 4 years ago

So you are taking refuge in your house, never to go outside to mow, get food, gas up your vehicle, take kids to school, etc? Many ways to pick up something. You never know who is infected.

It’s called managing risk. I’m not going to live in an underground bunker, but hanging with thousands of folks crammed into a crowded conference hall for three days sharing amusement devices is a recipe for disaster. Now is the time to get this thing under control. If you want to unreasonably risk your own life, that’s fine. The problem here is that everyone around you is put at risk by your own recklessness if you don’t heed the advice of the medical experts.

#223 4 years ago

The show must go on.

I get that. Life goes on, you have to live your life, etc. This is just my opinion but, unfortunately, based on what we’ve seen in countries where a large number of cases erupted, it seems like the smart thing to do in the US (for the time being) is everything possible to slow the spread of this virus. For now that would include cancelling unnecessary large gatherings, practicing social distancing, etc. Or am I over-simplifying it? We’ll see what happens. By the way, I’m a guy that bought tix in advance, airline tix, and has hotel reservations.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I get that. Life goes on, you have to live your life, etc. This is just my opinion but, unfortunately, based on what we’ve seen in countries where a large number of cases erupted, it seems like the smart thing to do in the US (for the time being) is everything possible to slow the spread of this virus. For now that would include cancelling unnecessary large gatherings, practicing social distancing, etc. Or am I over-simplifying it? We’ll see what happens. By the way, I’m a guy that bought tix in advance, airline tix, and has hotel reservations.

How dare you call TPF an unnecessary large gathering!

To each there own, I will be there though.

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

In Texas, we believe in choice, something our founding fathers believed in. I choose to enjoy a great show. The flu is much more scary.

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from HIPPY:

In Texas, we believe in choice, something our founding fathers believed in. I choose to enjoy a great show. The flu is much more scary.

That's some next level BS right there... For one, this isn't a political theater, and two, the coronavirus is 10 times more deadly than the flu so saying the flu is "much more scary" is intellectually devoid at best...

I'm not saying the show should be cancelled, I don't know enough about the current situation in TX. However, with the amount of people coming in from around the country one does have to ask themselves whether the risk of infection is worth it, especially for those most vulnerable which currently appear to be people over 60 and those with a compromised immune system.

Jeff

#227 4 years ago

Soapbox is open!

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

That's some next level BS right there... For one, this isn't a political theater, and two, the coronavirus is 10 times more deadly than the flu so saying the flu is "much more scary" is intellectually devoid at best...
    I'm not saying the show should be cancelled, I don't know enough about the current situation in TX. However, with the amount of people coming in from around the country one does have to ask themselves whether the risk of infection is worth it, especially for those most vulnerable which currently appear to be people over 60 and those with a compromised immune system.
    Jeff

...as well as *outside* the country; I saw posts in this thread from folks traveling from Sweden and Australia at least...plus the folks anybody who travels is walking past in the various airports around the country/world.

Officially designated a pandemic by the World Health Organization a bit over an hour ago. If this were a small show with truly just local folks showing up (local being either in the Dallas area, or state-wide for that matter), I can see being a bit more dismissive about the concerns. The TPF is a much bigger deal than it was 10+ years ago - we've got folks from all over the country, and at least a few international attendees as well. It does not make sense to minimize these concerns as a result.

I greatly look forward to this show every year, but ya gotta look at the bigger picture. COVID-19 isn't just the latest meme...

#229 4 years ago

For the record, can we take this Covid-talk out to another thread? As far as I'm aware, this thread IS about TPF, and if you're not going, great, if yo uare, even better. But I'm looking forward to seeing updates about the show here. Not back and forth about who's coughing who.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

For the record, can we take this Covid-talk out to another thread? As far as I'm aware, this thread IS about TPF, and if you're not going, great, if yo uare, even better. But I'm looking forward to seeing updates about the show here. Not back and forth about who's coughing who.

5DCA8124-BE13-4DA2-BB07-A122C0FE6381.gif5DCA8124-BE13-4DA2-BB07-A122C0FE6381.gif
    #231 4 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

I’m sure attendance will be down. Why not just postpone the show a few months? As a vendor looking to ship down product to sell at TPF, would be good to know in the next few days what the decision will be.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from midcoastsurf:

I’m sure attendance will be down. Why not just postpone the show a few months? As a vendor looking to ship down product to sell at TPF, would be good to know in the next few days what the decision will be.

Because flights are booked without refunds, other vacations are planned, it would piss off quite a bit more people than just cancelling if it happens.

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

Because flights are booked without refunds, other vacations are planned, it would piss off quite a bit more people than just cancelling if it happens.

Lots of airlines are waiving changing fees and giving people tavel credit if they cancel.

#234 4 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Lots of airlines are waiving changing fees and giving people tavel credit if they cancel.

Cool, first I've heard of this.

#235 4 years ago

If the show is canceled, I hope the organizers book next years show a week or two earlier. Reason for this is because airlines are offering a one year credit for canceled plane tickets. If we know the date for next years event we may be able to use the credit from this year’s canceled tickets, As long as it’s within one year.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from javagrind888:

I understand, but it could also open up the show to people who are able to attend in June/July that can’t in March.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

If the show is canceled, I hope the organizers book next years show a week or two earlier. Reason for this is because airlines are offering a one year credit for canceled plane tickets. If we know the date for next years event we may be able to use the credit from this year’s canceled tickets, As long as it’s within one year.

Good idea. The airline policies are a little tricky though, borderline sneaky. For example, United Airlines is waiving the change fee and saying “Rebooked travel must commence within 12 months from the original ticket issue date”. I purchased my tickets on 01/10/2020. That means I would have to travel before 01/10/2021. So my vote, not that it matters, would be to re-schedule TPF to this fall and re-assess the situation in a few months.

#239 4 years ago

I called my airline and hotel.

The airline said that due to my discounted fare, even if the airline was grounded there would be no refunds or changes of any type.

My hotel stated that even if the hotel burned to the ground there would be no refunds.

I was surprised as to how unhelpful and sorta brusque they were, I imagine they are fielding similar calls all day long.

However, if the show isnt cancelled, Im still going.

Reno is a hub for world travel.

I dont have to travel to be in contact with travelers, they will come to me it seems.

#240 4 years ago

I look forward to this event every year, even this year, until today. I think to be fair for everyone, the show should be postponed sooner, rather than later, to be fair to everyone instead of waiting until the last minute. At least an announcement 'TPF is postponed and we are working with the hotel/vendors/etc to reschedule until later this year. We would rather be safe than have anyone contract this illness at TPF'. If the event is held this month (~10k annually), I suspect the numbers would be ~2500 attendees and very few vendors. Not worth it ...

#241 4 years ago

the other thread is saying it is canceled per a deep root email

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I called my airline and hotel.
    The airline said that due to my discounted fare, even if the airline was grounded there would be no refunds or changes of any type.
    My hotel stated that even if the hotel burned to the ground there would be no refunds.

What a crock , they won't credit you. Faqers

I was surprised as to how unhelpful and sorta brusque they were, I imagine they are fielding similar calls all day long.
    However, if the show isnt cancelled, Im still going.
    Reno is a hub for world travel.
    I dont have to travel to be in contact with travelers, they will come to me it seems.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

the other thread is saying it is canceled per a deep root email

I can confirm getting the same email. Presume Ed will post it officially soon.

#244 4 years ago

This is the email that has been going around:

Screenshot_20200312-145632~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200312-145632~2 (resized).png
    #245 4 years ago

You can tell the e-mail is fake, you don’t email yourself.

#246 4 years ago

If anyone still going to this that needs a pass let me know, I have two full weekend passes for the event will transfer them over to you for $ 75.00 can pay via PP.

thanks

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I do all the time. I have no friends, and emailing myself makes me feel loved.

#248 4 years ago

it is listed on Deeproots website that TPF has cancelled

#249 4 years ago

In a BCC most email clients make you add a one person in the 'To', which is usually the sender.

#250 4 years ago
    9739DBC1-B0DB-48E9-A38A-35787CABC9B4 (resized).png9739DBC1-B0DB-48E9-A38A-35787CABC9B4 (resized).png
    There are 434 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2020-texas-pinball-festival-thread/page/5?hl=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.