4369725F-B915-4622-8DD7-15F2D39C3699 (resized).jpeg
download.jpg
C91E4A43-A240-4925-9D7D-8548126406F6 (resized).jpeg
D8F9FE73-8637-419A-BCB8-E9E570C3A398 (resized).jpeg
B0754A6C-FDE2-4641-822C-20E71AB018D0 (resized).jpeg
3E54E91B-46D6-41DF-97F9-FAAFCDCD2DC3.gif
dontlikethat.gif
B9484C2D-E577-4968-84B6-B4A70C7AD3DE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider meSz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Hearing Cam Neely’s name still hurts us fans here in Vancouver. He was a helluva player..

Only place his name doesn't hurt is in Pittsburgh (what, too soon?)!

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Well I guess that makes me a horrible person.

HEY it's already in pre-season so cdnpinbacon should've started one by now. He can't call himself a hockey fan!!!

However, you're probably still a horrible person!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Carolina traded Justin Faulk to St. Louis for NOTHING! Good on St. Louis....their D line looks great! If Binnington stays true to form then they will be a playoff threat.

Could be worse.....could be a Penguins fan where Rutherford has done as little as possible to make the Penguins a contender.

3 weeks later
#95 4 years ago

Little premature since 5 of the 7 games thus far were against teams that aren't .500 and the Oilers are only building your hopes up before they trade away 1 or 2 of their better players! I know it sounds harsh but I gave up hoping for the Oilers right after I gave up thinking the Pittsburgh Pirates would make it to the World Series again.

1 week later
#108 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I dont wanna jinx them, but the Flyers have been worth watching.

You jinxed them

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Dont pin this blowout on me.

Blame Malkin if I were a philly fan. All the flyers know you just have to hit Malkin several times and he’ll take retaliatory penalties and it throws him off his game.

#111 4 years ago

CHILI GOAL

2 weeks later
#135 4 years ago
Quoted from SewerUrchin:

I have All-Star weekend tickets . At this rate, its going to be a 3rd liner weekend. Guys like Ovi will probably refuse to go also.

All Star Weekend is typically a snoozefest! Players like Ovie and PK add a lot to it with trying to add more fun to it (i.e. PK dressing up as Jagr the one year, Ovie wearing hat and glasses for the breakaway shot another year) so it's more of a snoozer when guys like them dont attend.

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Crosby headed for surgery on groin.
Feel bad for fans

guess the good news is .... 6 weeks and not season ending

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

he should take a lot of blame on this team w the big signings/contracts given to Tavares, Mathews, Marner & Nylander..

Just a different opinion here, I don't think you can blame Dubas. I look at it as ... he signed a lot of top players to make a wining team and something is off that the Leafs aren't winning. On paper the Leafs look great and you wonder how they're not a winning team. Sometimes a team does not respond to a coach. Look at the 2009 and 2016 Penguins, both years the Penguins had very good teams and both years the Penguins fired the coach mid year......both years they won the Cup. Sometimes it's the coach and the system he's trying to implement.

I think Babcock is a good coach and he'll find another job, if he wants it, in no time but he wasn't a fit for this younger Leafs team. Also, take into consideration he's only won one Cup (2008). It's not like he was a guarantee to take the Leafs to the promise land!

1 week later
#202 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the Blue Jackets are tanking.

Columbus needs to come to the realization that Tort is not going to take them to the Cup. He's had some good teams in his tenure and could never get them there.

Quoted from CanadianPinball:

Not as bad as MTL!

Come on .... they won last night. They're on the road to recovery
Has MTL done anything since the day they fired Cunneyworth for not being Canadian?

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Randy Cunnyworth!!! Mesz your aging yourself ..How about Craig Ludwigs shin pad size!

That wasn't that long ago, 2012 I believe?? And apologies as he was let go due to him not being able to speak French!

1 week later
#228 4 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Andersen wins again!!
Leafs defense is horrifying, without a doubt.
Even when we win, they look like ass behind the blue line.

That sounds like Letang. . . no matter what he does on Offense he'll give it back on D. He's just horrible when it comes to defending. -3 last night

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I have Anderson and Letang on my fantasy team so watch a lot, and being a pens fan too.

First of all, my condolences

LeTang makes way too much money for what the pens get in return. He’s an average Defenseman at this point. He’s always been better offensively but, it seems, ever since the surgery he’s just lacking.

3 weeks later
#268 4 years ago

McDavid just schooled Morgan Reilly and if you're a Leafs fan you have to love the move, it was that good!

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

McDavid has the most raw skill...it's insane! Imagine if he played for a good team? I feel bad for him playing for the Coilers.

Lemieux played for a team of no names when he started. He made the team better around him. McDavid has the skill to do the same. Edmonton made a few ill advised trades.

#287 4 years ago

Morgan Rielly out minimum 8 weeks!

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

As much as i love Hank, and for how much he means to that team, might be his time to play for a serious contender? He's probably down to his last season or 2. I know he wants to stay though, just don't think they'll be serious playoff contenders for another year or 2. Like to see him with a ring.

Let’s be honest here, the only reason the Rangers have a goalie “issue” is due to the self proclaimed King has a clause in his contract that doesn’t allow the Rangers to get rid of him or send him down for the duration of his contract. If Henrik cared at all for the Rangers Organization he would retire.

The Rangers have a solid young team and Henrik doesn’t fit into that team but, hopefully I’m wrong, he doesn’t care as his ego won’t let him do the right thing.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

At the end of the day it's a business. Would you just leave your job and give up a boat load of cash for the good of your employer? The Rangers have the option to buy him out. Not ideal, but probably not the worst idea ever.

oh yeah I agree with ya. Dont blame him as it's the team that made the decision to do this. Henrik is at the end of his career and, at this point, is a backup goalie. Will be interesting to see what the Rangers do with the situation. It's like the Fleury deal in Pittsburgh where they had the choice of keeping an older Fleury or going with the youth in Murray. With the Rangers though you're not going to find someone to pickup Henrik's contract with the numbers he has.

#293 4 years ago

Congrats to Backstrom and the Caps .... retaining him is big and good to see he made the deal himself. He probably could've got more going somewhere else but he stated he wanted to stay in DC.

With that signing you have to think Holtby is on borrowed time as his numbers are down and they're paying him too much for backup goalie numbers! Plus if you're the Caps why keep him when you have a backup with better numbers, less pay and not to mention younger in age!

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Probably saved a cool 2.5 mill+ with no agent.

Easily as most agent would get 10% minimum I would assume. 45 mil deal so more like 4.5. Again, assuming here

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Agreed. Really hate to loose Kreider especially. He's having a good year too. There gonna need scoring to get to the playoffs, and they need more than just Panarin and Mika putting it in the net. Overall a lot of there D-men are offensively gifted, Trouba, D'Angelo, Fox and my favorite Brady Skjei. I think they need to find a way to keep Kreider. This team is getting better every week, and he's an important piece to this team. Don't think there very far away from being a contender. Maybe next next year?

As a Rangers fan I think you look past the playoffs this year as they just don't have the team to go far but in another year or two, if they keep it together, the Rangers will have a really good team. Rumors have Kreider possibly going to Pittsburgh. With Guentzel on IR it frees up his money which will allow to pick someone like Kreider up.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ersublime:

Im happy they signed Backstrom. Holtby has been great, but his time here is done. It will be interesting what they do next year with Ovechkin going UFA. I dont have any reason to think he leaves the Caps, especially being in a position to POSSIBLY catch Gretzky, unless he for some reason decides to go back to Russia.

I can't but think Backstrom's decision to stay a Cap was in large part due to him continuing to play with Ovie thus one would think Backstrom talked to Ovie and got some insight as to his plans. I think if Ovie was looking to go anywhere else ww would've seen a different outcome to Backstrom's deal.

As for Ovie going anywhere else, he's said before he plans to retire as a Cap. Only reason I could foresee him leaving was to go to a team to win a Cup. He's done that. The other reason is to go back to Russia and play but I think Kovalchuk doing that as well as Jagr going back to Czech has taught players it's not the route to go.

#306 4 years ago

Asst Mike Kelly also fired so appears it was a clean coaching staff out of Vegas

#311 4 years ago

Is it just me or does Tony Luftman make watching the NHL Channel impossible? Guy tries harder to be a personality then just reporting.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Tony Lufthansa? Never heard of him. Ex player?

Apparently he was a failed basketball player turned announcer. He might be only for the NHL broadcast here in the States so consider yourself lucky. I use to watch the "Pre-Skate" broadcast daily but since he joined NHL I cant watch him. If you ever had that guy that's always in your face and quirky, that's Tony but add 6 cans of red bull

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

WTF are the Rangers doing with 3 goalies now? Georgiev was OUT OF HIS MIND last night. What a win. Gotta keep Kreider but might just wind up losing him to free agency. Hank needs to retire or agree on a trade. This is going to get messy.

Cuz they want to keep the two young ones but are stuck with Henrik.

1 week later
#332 4 years ago

Skills Competition...... what a snooze fest.

#335 4 years ago
Quoted from SewerUrchin:

Not when you are there.[quoted image][quoted image]

Seriously, glad you enjoyed it! Watching on TV it was, for me, boring! Not to sound chauvinistic but going to the NHL All Star Game and having to watch 3 on 3 Woman's hockey for over a half hour ........ is just not for me. Apologies but it's the NHL All Star Game and not the Elite Woman's All Star Game.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

what a jerk , I used to referee him when he played AAA in Newmarket where his family lives, at the 9 and 10 years of age .These guys just don't realize what this does to their brand . Someone like Gretzky will step up and give him a signed jersey . I hope it that video of the kid throwing away the jersey goes viral . There are lessons to be learned !

I dont know the whole deal behind this as for all we know after McDavid signed the first jersey maybe, whoever was responsible for the signing, told him to keep it to just signing the cards. We all sit here and think what a jerk he is but it might be out of his control. Also, a lot more athletes are refusing to sign jerseys and other memorabilia due to professional autograph seekers now paying kids to get autographs for them so the can turn around and sell them at auctions and online. You'll also see a lot of athletes now making, whatever they sign, personal so that people can't turn around and sell the item.

In short ..... no matter what people do today someone is not happy ...... case in point look at the post here on Pinside

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Then why have an autograph session?

To sign the cards ...... looking at the picture he has a stack of McDavid UPPER DECK Cards so it might have been an autograph session that was put on by Upper Deck. In the States autograph sessions are often sponsored by a company and they can dictate as to what the player is to sign. Again, I am speculating here as most athletes don't care as to what they sign. Who knows maybe McDavid had a bad game the night before or was hungover! I do know that kid is probably a new proud owner of a Crosby jersey

#351 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I understand what you're saying and don't disagree. But in my mind it just looks bad on the player and their brand. These kids idolize these players and spend tons of time and money (most likely their parents) on tickets/merchandise and it allows the likes of McDavid to live comfortably for the rest of his life.
The kid wasn't asking him to sign something ridiculous....it was Oilers merchandise.
The lawyers/owners/corporate don't wear the heat....it's the player who does. And they probably lost a fan over it. He will naturally gravitate to another team...maybe it'll be the Pens.
My 5 cents.

Agree! One thing I didn't care for was ... after the kid tossed the jersey you can hear someone say thank you. It appears to be McDavid but nonetheless someone should've pulled the kid aside and gave a simple apology and explained why. Kid/parents would still be upset but at least they would know why.

Game on!

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The battle of Alberta was fun to watch last night. Tkachuck and Kassian fought....but only after RNH and Monahan fought. (Didn't see that one coming)

Was a good game..... RNH looked as though he was about to get beat good, they broke apart and he jumped back in.

#392 4 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

That game was brutal.
Leafs need to realign things soon or they're pooched.

5 GA on 21 SOG .... that’s rough

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Go Sharks!!![quoted image]

Wow Sharks bitch slapping Oilers

#413 4 years ago

McDavid out 2-3 weeks .... how many days does it take to see the Oilers drop out of the playoff picture?

#424 4 years ago

No Canadian team wins it not again this year.

At this time there are 3 Canadian teams in the playoffs and the Canucks being in the best position is 6 points from being knocked out.

#426 4 years ago

Yes I know but I still take the beat not one of them wins, and being a Pens fan my favorite to win the cup at start of the year Or season was Boston. I will make my predictions like we all do for each round of playoffs to the end. Should be fun as season coming to an end.

Will be interesting to see if the Pens do anything else. Well Zucker was a good pickup he, basically, replace Jake. Be nice to see them get a strong D

#430 4 years ago

The self proclaimed King is dead! Rangers are stuck with him and his contract! Only option for him is to go the route of Ray Bourque and look for a contender that's willing to give a handout and take Henrik on as a backup.

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Which is nobody. Lol

True, he has to hope for an injury.

#451 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Marleau to play on a line with Crosby ?

As a Pens fan this is disappointing. We have enough players that stand around waiting for things to happen. Everyone ask how the Pens kept winning with all the injuries and, my opinion, it was due to getting younger guys in there to hustle and not afraid to go to the net. Now that the Pens have all their players coming off IR they're losing, 3 in a row now. Hornqvist is the only one that goes to the net. Pens put up a lot of shots every game but the goaltenders have no problem seeing them as no one is in front.

Some will say Marleau brings that age and experience to the locker room but the Pens don't need that as you have two of the best players in the NHL that have the age, experience and Cups so what does Marleau bring? He use to be that guy in front of the net but I don't see that in him anymore.

Marleau coming to Pittsburgh solidifies that Guentzel will not be back at all this year!

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Pens and Canes busy day! Don't tell me hurricanes now a dark horse cup bet?

yeah Pens trade away two young guys for a guy that should've retired, a guy that we already traded away and a guy who after 5 years is still trying to find himself. Evan Rodrigues appears to be the better of of the 3 as he still has time to improve.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I think marleau was a good grab by the pens. He won’t be amazing with his point production, but that’s not really why they picked him up. He’ll provide average point production but bring great veteran leadership to the locker room and playoffs. That’s why they mostly picked him up

If that’s why they picked him up it’s even a bigger mistake. Why would you bring a guy to a team for his “leadership in the locker room for the playoffs” when you have two veterans (Crosby n Malkin) that have a combined 6 rings n Marleau has fewer appearances in the Finals then they have Rings. Penguins are not a young team.

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

More of David Ayres. Filled in for Colbert on the late show when he pulled a hamstring.
Skip to 9:49 of the video.

Awesome to see this guy live out a dream but can't help but thinking.... if the Canes lost everyone would be making a joke of it at his expense.

What's crazy is the fact that Ovie scoring 700 was, basically, overlooked by this.

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

But I do agree that this totally overshadowed Ovie's 700th. lol
I don't think he minds that much because he'll be getting another 100 more.

Ovie probably welcomes it...alleviates him from having to answer the same question over and over again by the media.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I've been saying for 2-3 years now that Ovie is going to slow down. But he just doesn't seem to slow down. He may go through a slump but overall year in and year out he's consistent. All of his stats are insane and he is rarely injured so he never misses games.
How he continues to put up the numbers he does is beyond me. Dude is a beast and that's why I'm confident he will nail the 800 goal mark.

Agree, to add to it ... it's not as if Ovie is one to avoid the physical play either. He has no problem in dishing out checks as well as taking them. This is what typically leads to injuries but he seems to have no problem.

I think he'll need just over 5 seasons to break the record so it will be interesting to see.

#484 4 years ago

Looking at the trades yesterday I think we're all missing what Ottawa has done not only with the trades but all the draft picks they have accumulated over the next few years.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Mesz you are correct about Ottawa although the coverage here is pretty intense . Concensus Ottawa did very well and I like what they are quietly doing. Sometimes no one pays attention little brother with the tussled red hair, until he fires a rocket from the backyard through your neighbours window!

Yeah they're set up pretty nicely over the next two seasons and should get a solid team together. SHOULD being the key word. I think of Edmonton in situations like this as Edmonton had the picks and should've had a very good contending team by now but I think they made some trades/transactions the kept setting them back!

As for the Penguins....I know you didn't ask but.....for the past few years now Rutherford has had this mentality that we're a few players away from being a Cup contender and he's traded for older players .... that Win now mentality. It hasn't worked! In the meantime he's traded away some of the youth players. The Pens Farm Team has gone from contender to no longer even making the playoffs. In 2-3 years when Crosby, Malkin and LeTank retire the Penguins will be in the Leaf's position! Rutherford has to go and someone new needs to get in their and rescue this team, I know it's hard for peope to see this as the Pens are in 5th place right now but trust me it's coming.

Only 2 of the Penguins D and O are under the age of 25
Crosby, Malkin, LeTank and Johnson are the oldest on the team, beside Grandpa Marleau

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Be happy that the Pens have Stanley cups!! I’ve watched my Canucks come close 2 times (they were swept in 4 vs Bossy & the Isles in ‘81) look at the Kings & Hawks..struggling now, but they’ve won a cup..the window/opportunity isn’t to long..mind you, the playoffs are like a poker final table..anything can happen

Yeah I hear ya and agree! My family has had season tickets for the Penguins since 69' (I picked them up in 84 and have had them since) and 69 to 88 were tough years. A LOT of losing. Never thought I'd see the day when they won the Cup nonetheless 5 of them.

Like Chicago I see the Pens headed this way where they keep a few vets thinking that they can win the Cup on their own. Kane and Toews are their best players but yet they're both 32 years of age! Not good! Kane and Toews just can't support a team anymore and one has to wonder how much longer Crosby and Malkin can! Should say Crosby as Malkin, hate to sound like I am ripping him but, shines when Crosby is out!

You know if it weren't for a lack of talent I would show all if these guys how to do it!!!

#496 4 years ago

On a side note watching the Pens losing horrible to the Kings was unexpected tonight. 4th loss in a row and no scoring trouble for us.

4th loss, 3 of which to losing teams. Tonight’s game is as brutal, no one in front of the net. Pens with 36 SOG and not one was off a rebound.
Only the 5th game this year for LAs goalie and 2 win.
Pens need few of the stars to get injured again so the young guys, the ones Rutherford hasn’t traded, can play and win games.

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I think Kahun was set to be a FA this summer, and they weren’t likely to sign him. Cant keep/play them all. Now McCann is hurt.
Pens are getting schooled on face offs and their power play is around 12th. They have been top 5 the past three years.
We need to see this team again once dumo and Marino are back in the lineup. Jack Johnson and kris Letang is a terrible pairing. Johnson was getting schooled hard last night.
Dumo-Letang
Marino-petterson
Johnson-Schulz
Riikola has a very good game last night. Petterson looks like he’s hit a wall the past few games. Capitals abused his ass Sunday!
Pens fans (I, included) have been blessed to the point of being a little spoiled. They played really good the past two games and carried play for most of those games. But they couldn’t get pucks in the net. It’s not how they play the last week of February, but how they are playing the end of May that’s most important!!! Let’s Go Pens!

Yeah the LeTank anf Johnson pairing I do understand to a point as Johnson is that stay at home Defenseman and that is need with LeTank jumping up on O all the time. Problem is, Johnson is too slow and easilt skated around.

LeTank last night....first goal for LA was on PP which was a result of LeTank taking a dumb penalty. Second goal, if you go back and watch the video, was off a rebound and the scorer should've been picked up by LeTank but you can see LeTank making no effort at all to get back to him. LeTank is exceptional at skating and playing on O but when it comes to D.....he's below average.

As Pens fans we're spoiled but I guess what is frustrating is when you see the team they have you have to wonder how they can lose games to the likes of LA, Toronto and Buffalo then put up a good showing against the Caps?!??!

#509 4 years ago

Penguins losing streak now 5 games in a row, 4 to losing teams! 3 loses (6pounts) from missing the playoffs.

Im at the point where I am hoping Johnson collides with Murray and both are out for 2 to 3 years.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I'm afraid to check realistic return from a FN cracked knee!!!!! I'm going to kill myself.

If you do let me know and I'll join ya! Penguins 5 points from missing the playoffs and with the way they're playing the Pirates look to be a better playoff contender (anyone who watches baseball knows the story of the Playoffless Pirates).

Not to knock the Leafs but when you look at their roster and compare it to Pittsburgh's....it's crazy that the Leafs are looking to be in the playoffs and the Pens possibly missing them. Pens 5 game losing streak and 4 to blah teams. Pathetic!

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

At least the pirates don’t have anyone that got caught Wippin their weenie in a dollar store parking lot!

No but we did have a guy that took the Pirate 3 DUIs to get of him only to reinstate him again and then get rid of him again.

The Pirates are the Cleveland Indians in the movie Major League

#527 4 years ago

I have Rinne on my Fantasy Team .... if he's in an "accident" tonight I need it to be noted I was on Pinside with you guys!

Kick in the arse is the fact the guy I am playing against has Saros on his team..... the Nashville Pedophiles pulls Rinne after 8 goals in the third period. So the guy I am playing against gets a goalie appearance and 1.000 SV% since he stopped 4 out of 4 wtf.....this is worse then watching LeTank get beat over and over again!

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Johnny Boychuk took a nasty skate to the face last night. It was nasty enough to send some shivers down my spine. You never want to see those type of injuries!

Man that is scary! As fast and hard as the game is today it's amazing that stuff like this doesn't happen more often.

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Nice..almost as nice as Zibanezad’s 5 goals last night! I wonder if they got anything similar down south..if a player scores 5 u can be a millionaire from a sponsor?

It's Pittsburgh, years ago, if the Penguins scored 7 goals everyone in the Arena received free chili from Wendy's. It was known, and still is, as the Chili Goal. If you ever watch a Penguins game now and they score 6 goals you will hear the fans chanting CHILI even though the promotion ended back in the late 80's.

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

That’s pretty cool! Mario has always been 1 of my favourite players.. and I’m not a pens fan. When he played in the Canada cup in the mid ‘80’s, he was a stud..only if he was healthy, I bet his stats & points per game would be near the top. They’re probably up there, and realize that the game was higher scoring back in the day, but he was a great generational player.

Mario was the only player in NHL to have averaged over 2 points per game when he retired. When he came out of retirement it drooped his points per game below 2.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

So that makes us top 2 finishers...no surprise 2 Canadians finished in The top 3.

Yeah but also like Canadian teams no winner

#564 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

1st place Russian burner account ??
I think so.

Worked for.........

#590 4 years ago

I really hope you guys anticipated this situation and stocked up with urgent supplies like I did......

EFA96943-3CB8-4EE7-B1AE-1B5CBF24FBAE (resized).jpegEFA96943-3CB8-4EE7-B1AE-1B5CBF24FBAE (resized).jpeg
#624 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

A beauty of a trade..thanks Pittsburgh![quoted image]

That was part of the dark period where the Pens were just getting rid of high payrolls. Good to see the Canucks couldn't mustard up more then a semi-finals appearance with Naslund on the roster but few years after he went to Rangers they went to the Finals.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

This bs that’s going on fn sucks..

I hear ya ... I watched that video, Blitburgh posted, AGAIN.

1 month later
#645 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Being a Blues fan I really want to see what they could do before the next season.

They will follow in the step of the CAPS and have an early exit

Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

So... the rumblings of a June start to a season (first rumoured by John Scott); what do you all think?
A season running until end of July would be a bit odd... and a very short summer for the players to rest and recover.

Not really that odd as if you think about it.... the playoffs, if they were to go 4 rounds with each round going 7 games it would end the last week of June so you would only be extending it by 1 month give or take.

I can't see this happening. Here in CA they advise that we will remain in "quarantine" until mid June at the earliest. So that means you eliminate three venues from being used right out of the gate and that's just one state. How many other states are going to OPEN and how many of them are going to allow events to happen. . . unless the NHL just hold games behind closed doors and broadcast the games!

Side note.... you guys read where DISH is not going to pay ESPN the license fee for this month. DISH is stating since theirs no sports going on they should not have to pay the license fee to ESPN. This will be interesting to see the outcome as how many other providers will do the same? In theory DISH has a point!

1 week later
#653 3 years ago

Quoted from ImNotNorm:then starting next season in Dec

Just in time for Flu season (seriously)!

Playoffs are so much revenue so can understand why they're trying here but agree to just cancel and see what happens next season. I can see them starting in July and like a week or two into it players start coming down with COVID and having to cancel.

#659 3 years ago

As a Hab fan... the season finished long ago... At least we landed some nice assets for the 'rentals'

As a Pens fan COVID saved the Pens and JR from another embarrassing early exit from the playoffs. In the last three seasons Marcus Pettersson is the only trade that's still making an impact on the team! Time for the Pens to realize that Crosby and Malkin aren't going to make it happen without bigger named players on the team and for the Pens to escort JR to the retirement home.

1 week later
#665 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I politely disagree...Pens have added lots of youth with JR’s trades the past year. Need more time to see how they work out. Next tough call is who stays and who goes? Murray or Jarry?

Like who? The Penguins, going into this season, are the 9th oldest team in the NHL. Their farm team was on the verge of missing the playoffs for the third season in a row before pandemic cancelled the season? As you're aware the farm team was one of the best teams.

Latest acquisitions by the Pens
Conor Sheary - 28
Evan Rodrigues - 27
Patrick Marleau - 41 (aka life support)
Phil Varone - 30
Riley Barber - 26
Jason Zucker - 28
John Nyberg - 24
Kevin Roy - 27
Joseph Cramarossa - 28
Andreas Martinsen - 30
John Marino - 23

So in the past (almost) year they acquired 2 players under the age of 25. Also, during JR's tenure the Penguins have had only one year in which they had a first round draft pick and due to the Penguins, technically, making the playoffs this year the first round pick goes to MN.

Whilst I typically agree with ya Blitz I just don't see it on this one!

#675 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

no way , they keep pulling the wool over idiots like me that keep buying season tickets , they even raised them 9% this up coming season , bandits!

I feel for you guys with high ticket prices. Lemieux makes tickets in Pittsburgh affordable but also has a payment plan that spans over 6 months with no interest. So if you can't afford all the cash at once you select the payment plan and there's no additional cost.

Back in 1992 I was paying 31$ per ticket. Howard Baldwin bought the team the next season and raised my tickets to 63$ per. In steps Lemieux and he reduces tickets prices, has a payment plan and introduces pay as you go playoff tickets (as a season ticket holder you tell them to send you an invoice at the end of the month for the total number of home playoff games they played). With Baldwin you had to pay for all 16 games for the playoffs by the beginning of March. The Pens could be the 16th team into the playoffs and you had yo pay up front for all 16 games even though you knew they didn't have a chance at being the home team. The Penguins could be eliminated in the first round but Baldwin wouldn't refund your money until the Finals were done. Once done you then requested a refund but they would push you to have the money put towards next season. If you insisted on a refund they dragged it out and basically your refund came two weeks before you season tickets for next year were due!

Today, 17 years later, I pay $89 (2020-21 season) per ticket, If you're familiar with the PPG Paints Arena there are two levels (lower and upper bowl). My tickets are located in the first row of the upper bowl on the Blue Line.

With the way Lemieux runs the Penguins is the reason I am still a season ticket holder.

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

we have the same payment option too , are your tickets lower bowel ? mine are and i got 6 seats , a 4 pack by the visitors bench 16 rows up , and a 2 pack in the corner 4 rows up , mine cost 275 a seat canadian

Mine are first row of the Upper bowl 124 CAD per seat. Another thing the Penguins do is, when other season ticket holders don't renew their tickets the Penguins send out an email advising current holders that seats have opened up. You go online and can see what tickets are available and if you like them better then what you have you can change your seats. For me, I like being higher up as I like to see the play develop. This pic gives an idea as to the view from my seats.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#680 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Solid seats Mesz...congrats. No problems Seeing plays develop

Damn I miss hockey

#685 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Believe that Luch? pay those prices for kick ass seats , Crosby and Stanley cups???

The only kick in the nuts is ... 5 Cups and I’ve never seen the winning game since all 5 were won on the road! But as someone that thought I’d never see one cup nonetheless 5 I’m not complaining.

#708 3 years ago

NHL announcing right now the return to play

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The 2 locations for play not announced yet ...don’t understand why?

Can only guess it's due to not having the cities full buy in as of yet. Figure restrictions were just lifted in most states last week. They not only need to get the cities to buy in but also determine the dates. At this point all we know is the format and nothing else!

#713 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

So the Pens lock horns with Carey Price and the Leafs battle Columbus. Columbus will not roll over ...major injuries during reg season healing with the layoff. Morgan Reilly heals up Too ..Sorry Columbus , no chance, ZERO even with injuries recovered.

If Carey Price can play the way we all know, the Habs will win over the Penguins. The Penguins aren't a defensive team and need to score goals to win. They aren't going to win 1-0, 2-1 games.....for the most part, they win when they score 3 or more. Not knocking the Pens, just the way they're and have been for awhile. We've seen the Penguins lose to hot goaltenders in the past and this year could be no different.

If Pittsburgh is picked as a host city I might have to pack up the laptop and work remotely from Pittsburgh!

2 weeks later
#759 3 years ago

Signage in Pittsburgh’s Bus Stops on how to know if you’re practicing social distance.

31263838-EB8E-412A-9ACE-D942B66D4BC0 (resized).jpeg31263838-EB8E-412A-9ACE-D942B66D4BC0 (resized).jpeg
#775 3 years ago

Yinz is basically the Southern version of You All. For ex. Are yinz going downtown?

As for the chairs .... This something only people that live in the city really know .... parking is hard to come by in the city so people actually take a chair and put it in their spot when they leave. So if you ever drive through Pittsburgh and wonder why there's chairs on the side of the road it's cause someone is saving "their" parking spot!

and for anyone who likes/wants the poster .....
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qpgcwo9zojxfyhg/AABMSJvYE5hcedVDGJi7PIQpa?dl=0&preview=Yinzer%27s+Guide+to+Social+Distancing+Flyer.pdf

#784 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Pavel Datsuk is holding up in a monestary called "Loaves of bread" in Russia, controlled by a priest that went to jail for 14 years. They believe it's the government that want to put chips in people.

What, you didn't see that coming?

1 week later
#798 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

When you ever wonder why Hockey is such a niche sport in 'Merica just admit becasue it is the dumbest run league in the world.
The #1 pick in the draft will go to a playoff team...just dumb beyond words.

Yeah I mean if the Penguins tank in the first round they have a VERY good chance at getting the #1 pick which would be great as a Pens fan but as a hockey fan I know it's not right that they get it over so many other teams. I think they just need to take the bottom teams as eligible for the top picks.

I still think the playoffs are going to be cancelled. This COVID starting to boom again is going to kill it. LA is no way going to be one of the Hub Cities and it will surprise me if Vegas allows it as well.

#800 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Uh oh don;t the play the Pens round 1...no #1 pick for you

HEY Pens threw games in the past and got MARIO .... who's next? LOL

#803 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I know it seems awfuly selfish in these dark times but I haven’t received a paper copy of the hockey news in 6 months.

Think about it .... another generation from now there wont be such publications anymore. You'll be telling your grand-kids/great grand-kids, if we survive COVID, how they use to deliver newspapers.

I'll never forget the day when I restored an old rotary candlestick phone for my bar and my son looked at it and said "I don't get it, how do you dial out".

#804 3 years ago

So Vegas idea was axed and they're now looking at Edmonton and Toronto as hub cities.

Again, I cant see this happening with the COVID spiking but if the NHL doesn't complete the season it's stated they will lose upwards of a billion dollars.

#808 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Can't argue with that!

I give Bettman credit for the financial side of the NHL. What he did in locking out the players saved the NHL from turning into the MLB. But when it comes for the doing things for the better of the game itself he just seems to make some asinine decisions.

2 weeks later
#839 3 years ago

Is this ACTUALLY gonna happen?

Man I hope so but I just can't see it coming to fruition!

Let me ask this of the Ontario folks .... How is it that Toronto is a hub but yet the baseball team was advised they couldn't play in Toronto and is now playing out of Pittsburgh? Do I have this right or has the CA Medical Maryjane gotten to me?

#842 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I think it's because of the border crossings between the Jays/other teams. That's not happening with the NHL. Everything is bubbled into two Canadian cities. No traveling permitted.
And hockey matters in Canada more than baseball...so it gets preferential treatment. Lol
PS - Pittsburgh rejected the jays today.

Makes sense! (especially the hockey matters part!)

Pittsburgh rejected the Jays as the Pirate's ownership doesn't want the Pittsburgh fans to get the taste of what it's like to see a major league team play in their city.

#890 3 years ago

please let the Jackets oust the Leafs in 3

The Jackets are a healthy team and will be a tough team to beat!

#894 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Luv ya Mesz! Hope your doin well buddy and when this shites over your welcome to come up to my place. Lodging everything on me.

Appreciate the offer and it goes both ways.....just with my place (Pittsburgh) I am not there, which is probably better

Pens vs Flyers "pre-season" game starts in 30 min on NBC Sports

#919 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:Leafs lose the first game but win the series. That's my prediction.

My predictions is/was for the Pens to lose to Montreal and win the #1 pick!

#922 3 years ago

If i would've known Henrik was going to start I would've picked the Canes to sweep!

#928 3 years ago

Penguins SUCK!

As for Henrik .... he goes on the category of people not knowing when it’s time to hang up the skates. But the Rangers were dumb enuff to sign him to that many years late in his career so can’t blame him for collecting the check.

#934 3 years ago

shocked pens lost

We're both Pens fans but how can you be shocked? NO ONE on that team hits. Lafferty coming into the game last night had the first big hit of the series for the Pens. No one is aggressive in fore-checking. When the Pens lose possession of the puck they all go back on D and it's like they're waiting for their opponent to turn the puck over as opposed to putting pressure on them and forcing turnovers.

Once of my things with the Penguins is that we've been seeing the same style of play for the past 5 years now. All teams have stopped watching the Pens video as there's nothing to learn....it's the same game play every night!

Picking up players like Sheary and Marleau (-3 last night) was just asinine. Those two told me that the GM was not trying to make a better team.

We wont be watching the Pens next week, unfortunately!

#935 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you? This is the fucking laziest team I've seen in a decade; It's like 5 Hal Gills out there.

LOL - I'm a Pens fan but man you're correct! The Pens series has been the worst one to watch thus far. Slow play and just not real action.

#937 3 years ago

Blues .... another one n done Cup winner

#940 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Leafs doing what the leafs do.
Blow a 3-0 lead and just slop around in the 3rd.
Let's see what OT holds.

Leafs been watching the video on the Pens!!

#946 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:Yes I know, just expected a better showing against Montreal

It's rough to watch. Jarry in net today and hopefully they sit Marleau and Johnson.

Yeah but I think the Penguins will have the earlier tee time!

#948 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I remember when everyone was praising the Marleau acquisition. Lol

I guess I was the anomaly then as I felt he would go to a playoff team that was young and needed the veteran (leader in the locker room guy). The Penguins have enough veterans and it's not like Marleau is going to give you that guy that has playoff experience. For today, sit him and put a younger guy in there. Need someone with speed out there or that will bring a physical aspect to the team.

#951 3 years ago

So how boring is the Pens Habs to watch .... boring enough that NBC here in the States switched over to the Preds game ..... which they're also showing on the NHL Channel

#955 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Trap hockey on full display by the habs.

Agree, wait for the Penguins to make a mistake.

#957 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I know what I'm watching and neither of these teams are playing great anything other than goaltending.

yeah agree.... Not sure I would call it great goaltending. Not that either is playing bad just that, other then a few shots each, there's been nothing spectacular. Most shots are coming from 20' out.

But hey ..... we got hockey back!

#958 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

wait for the Penguins to make a mistake.

#960 3 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

What is Pierre McGuire gonna do now that he doesn't have Crosby to fellate for the rest of the playoffs?

Don't fret he'll be sucking up to someone else!

CONGRATS to the Habs!

and now lets hope the Pens get that #1 pick

#969 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Oilers 50/50 total so far. Still 3 hours to go...[quoted image]

Put me in for 20$ I’ll PayPal ya!

#978 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Flyer's dominated Tampa Bay last night!! Bring on Montreal!!

Flyers playing very well. Wont surprise me if they sweep the Habs.

Tampa without Hedman = playoff end

#980 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Don't forget Stamkos out too

yeah Tampa is a strong team but without those two ...

#990 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Rangers got the first rounder.

DAMN IT

#1005 3 years ago

Hockey after sunset!

6555AC80-E07A-4D33-A024-43AA8D6CB6FB (resized).jpeg6555AC80-E07A-4D33-A024-43AA8D6CB6FB (resized).jpeg
#1014 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Nice setup. It's neat seeing how dark it is already in southern California. Our sun won't set until 10pm-ish. (So 9ish your time)

Actually I am in New England (Lake Winnipesaukee, NH) and all the tv is, is a portable projection unit hooked up to a laptop.

#1024 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Anyone want a broken down Jamie Benn for a lot of money

give Jim Rutherford a call

#1032 3 years ago

Agree CBJ has a solid team but they have an Ahole for a coach. They will never win a cup with that guy. Watch the post game .... asked softball questions that he’s paid a lot of money to address and he walks off. Check your ego at the door!!!

#1045 3 years ago

Ovi no Caps are out, does this mean it’s an easy run for the Flyers if they get past Montreal or are the Isles for real?

As much as I like Ovie he will never win another Cup. Caps were lucky with the way things fell for them when they won the Cup. Said it before they were/are a one and done team.

As for the Flyers, they’re playing some good hockey but I think the Isles speed will be a problem for them.

#1057 3 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Total bs to suspend Niskanen for just 1 game on the cross check on Gallagher.

Just think if the legal system was ran by the NHL..... a serial killer would get 1 year sentence with time served.

#1091 3 years ago

Capitals fire coach Todd Reirden

#1093 3 years ago

When did Niskanen become such a hack?

Isles looking strong for the most part. That second period was all Philly but Isles kept them from getting good quality SOG.

#1102 3 years ago

Evan Rodrigues came to Penguins via the Sheary trade (another trade to get back a previous Penguins player)

Look at the love affair for David Warsofsky
Signed as a free agent by Pittsburgh, July 1, 2015.
Claimed on waivers by New Jersey from Pittsburgh, February 29, 2016.
Signed as a free agent by Pittsburgh, July 1, 2016.
Signed as a free agent by Colorado, July 1, 2017.
Signed as a free agent by Pittsburgh, July 1, 2019.

Filip Hallander second round pick in 2018

So for the Leafs you basically are getting a 1st and 2nd pick
The Penguins are getting a guy that didn't workout previously while trading away future prospect in a win now approach. Unfortunately the players the Penguins have acquired in the last few years have had little impact

Penguins acquisitions the last two years:
Joseph Blandisi
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad
Blake Siebenaler
Jean-Sebastien Dea
Erik Gudbranson
Dominik Kahun
Alex Galchenyuk
Pierre-Olivier Joseph
John Marino
Andreas Martinsen
Graham Knott
Kevin Roy
John Nyberg
Jason Zucker
Phil Varone
Riley Barber
Patrick Marleau
Conor Sheary
Evan Rodrigues

so doesn't suprise me when the Penguins lose in the first round.

#1105 3 years ago

Man the NBC has such a hard time getting things right no wonder they carry the NHL here in the States! The latest is letting go Milbury for his statement “Not even any woman here to disrupt your concentration."

Milbury has had to step down from his NBC job. The same guy that beat a fan with a shoe loses his job for something as little as an off color, if you can even say that, comment. I don't even care for his commentary but for a guy to lose his job for something so asinine is ..... well asinine!

#1108 3 years ago

TECHNICALLY... they lost BEFORE the first round

Don't get technical on me ...... you need to post your comment in the TECH FORUM!!!!

but you're right!

#1112 3 years ago

Well looks as though the games for tonight are going to be cancelled.

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Because the police shot a man in Wisconsin.

This

#1119 3 years ago

So tonight and tomorrow's games are cancelled!

#1129 3 years ago

The flyers and isles game should be interesting as two new goalies starting

Both looked pretty good. Isles looking really good, a lot of speed.

Fleury in net for Vegas. Hoping to see solid performance from him,.

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Oh shit Philly, what have you done?

Nice GWG by Philly. Glad to see it as I have the Isles in 6

#1158 3 years ago

Penguins hire ex Washington coach as assistant coach good or bad?

I thought Reirden was a good assistant coach but man starting to see a pattern here with getting old players/coaches back has me shaking my head. What's next, bring Jay Caulfield out of retirement?

#1178 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

This schedule is so stupid You have all day Saturday, NHL. A nice Game 7 double header sounds great on a Saturday. But now we get DAL/COL at 3PM CST + back-to-back tired Vegas/Couv? What the hell!?!?

NHL doesn't make the schedule. NBC has dictated the schedule for the playoff for over a decade now. NBC tells the NHL what day and time slot is available, NHL follows that direction and then blames "venue availability" (which is crazy this year with covid).

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

NHL doesn't make the schedule. NBC has dictated the schedule for the playoff for over a decade now. NBC tells the NHL what day and time slot is available, NHL follows that direction and then blames "venue availability" (which is crazy this year with covid).

Another thing you have to love about NBC.... due to golf match the Avs/Stars game on now is being televised on the USA Network. No mention of it and even the Guide on TV doesn't list the game as being on (Law & Order is listed).

#1190 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'm not talking about Toronto or the Hockey Hall of Fame. lol My comment went over your head.
What I was implying is the cup basically spends it's time in Canada during the off season because most teams consist of players who are Canadian. In the end....the cup ALWAYS comes back to Canada.

Hmmm depends on which cup you’re speaking of ..... there’s two Cups. One that spends most of its time at the Hockey HoF and one that travels.

Canadians Make-up for 53.3% of
the players in the NHL and that number has been dropping over the past ten years. Still Impressive though!!

7 of 32 teams are located in Canada (22%) due in large part, I feel, to the weaker CAD $.

#1194 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

He'll get 2 games.

It’s playoffs ..... I say 1 game

#1207 3 years ago

Halfway through the game and Flyers have 7 SOG down by 2

#1211 3 years ago

Just a horrible showing by Flyers in game 7

Flyers down by 3 in the second period with plenty of time left to try to make a push BUT like the Flyers all often do they focus on going after a guy. In this case they were still going out of their way to hit and also shoot pucks at Barzal. Just dumb!

#1237 3 years ago

Dal 6
Isles 7

Isles 7

Edit: I was drunk when I made these picks.

#1248 3 years ago

Isles playing Penguins hockey.....get the lead and then try to play D the rest of the game....... then lose (hopefully I’m wrong but it’s looking that way)!

#1272 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Ok ok...usually doesn't get touched.

Penguins didn't touch the Conference trophy in 08 and lost the Cup so in 09 they did touch it as they felt it would change their luck that year!

#1275 3 years ago

Somebody in Edmonton run over and tell the Islanders this is an elimination game! They look so disinterested in playing!

#1299 3 years ago

Tampa n Dallas .... TV Ratings for this series will be lower then rerun of last years curling championship.

#1301 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Gives another chance to watch Rachel Homan!

More of a Alexandra Saitova fan

#1338 3 years ago

Dallas trying to throw the game with all the asinine penalties???

#1339 3 years ago

3-0 TB....this is more what I expected. Sorry Dallas fans but the Stars should not have made the Finals. Dallas reminds me of the Caps the year they won. All the Stars were in align (see what I did there) for them to win the Cup, unfortunately for the Stars they are up against a better team then the Caps were when they won!

#1341 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Lol. We’ve been told that same thing 3 straight series. Let’s play this series out too, if that’s okay.

Sure will and if Stars win I will be first to congratulate ya but let’s face it the Stars were lucky to make it this far..... reminds me of the 91 Stars.

Also keep in mind TB missing few good men not to mention one of the top players in the league. Again, all part of the Stars being in align for Dallas to make a strong showing, if not win. Rest assure, if they do win, it’s another one and done Cup winner.

#1349 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Tampa has 4 goals, 3 of which came off of Dallas sticks. Stars got into penalty trouble needlessly, and got hosed on a call or two. But that's the way the puck drops.
We haven't gotten anything out of the top line, or the young scoring line so far. If we can get Rads and Benn on the scoresheet, and Gurianov and Hintz doing their thing, we might be dangerous. Seguin is broken Something's wrong with him. Speculation here is a wrist issue. But the dude is forechecking and playing hard in other ways, so I'm fine with it. Radulov needs to start shooting the puck at the net. They are looking for pretty passes. That's not our game.

What's crazy is the fact that Oleksiak is 5th in Goal Scoring and first in +/- (+7) for the Stars in the playoffs this year.

Stamkos is skating so return is near!

#1353 3 years ago

So Stamkos is back.....
Aw yeah!

Back out but is now sitting back on the bench.

#1355 3 years ago

Not trying to stir stuff up but this is more of what I expected, TB out playing and scoring Dallas.

Whilst I’m a fan of Radulov, there’s something to be said when your only impact more then halfway through the game is 2 asinine penalties!

Stars on PP .... need a goal or “it’s over Johnny”!

#1358 3 years ago

Stamkos has been sitting since the end of the first. He didn’t come out for the start of the second period. About 5 minutes into the 2nd he came out n sat on the bench and hasn’t moved since (well of course other then to go into the locker room in between periods).

Dallas raised the white flag by sending in the backup goalie to give Khudobin some rest.

#1364 3 years ago

You guys are lucky as I haven’t liked any moves Rutherford has made in past two years, well Marino is it.

#1369 3 years ago

Has the Hornqvist for Matheson trade officially gone through yet? If I was a Penguins fan I'd be really hoping that one falls apart. But maybe I'm miss seeing something on that deal

Trade is likely off .... https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/patric-hornqvist-pittsburgh-penguins-trade-off-multiple-confirmation/

#1372 3 years ago

I think it has officially gone through now. What a weird rollercoaster of a trade this one was

So Matheson 6 years younger then Hornqvist and Pens save almost half million per year on Cap.....but Hornqvist contract up in 23 whereas Matheson just signed 8 year deal in 2017.

As for Colton Sceviour, he will be nothing more then part of a trivia question in 2 years ...... who was the guy that was part of the Hornqvist/Matheson trade?

#1378 3 years ago

Granted Benn did not kick the feet out but he was drapped over the guy and also had his one hand holding the stick. Wrong penalty called but still a penalty nonetheless.

and Tampa wins.

Love Olczyk yelling “it’s not a penalty, it’s a hockey play”! No wonder he was fired and then couldn’t find a coaching job.

#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You don’t make that call in OT

So that call is okay if it was game 1 or don’t you make that call at all in the SC? Trying to understand when a guy has one arm draped over a guys shoulder pulling back and the other arm (hand) is holding the stick should be called?

Don’t be mad at the refs Stars blew a 2 goal lead and blew the game.

#1386 3 years ago

However every time we traded away someone they have done worse and not worth it in the long run, always liked Horny Toad though and know nothing on who we got but knew changes coming

Well if you’re playing with two of the top players in the NHL and go to another team you’re probably not going to have the numbers you use to have.

Few guys pens traded that come to mind...
Bonino is still going strong.
Oleksiak has more goals in the playoffs this year then the Penguins top 3 scorers.

But not necessarily disagreeing on who they trade away but more what they get in return. Look at just past two years, all but two players are even making a positive impact. Vast majority of players you don’t even know who they are nonetheless even playing.

#1391 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

It's not over until it's over, but having to win 3 straight just seems like an impossible task at this point. It hurts to go down 3-1.

Agree, (flashing back to when the “Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” Animal House). It’s not like TB is outplaying Dallas. Dallas just not playing full 60 minutes not to mention taking some asinine penalties.

#1396 3 years ago

Good game by Dallas.

#1401 3 years ago

All is needed now is for Jordan Staal to be traded to complete the hat trick

#1402 3 years ago

Come on Dallas enuff with the asinine penalties! 1 SOG and 2 penalties 13 min into the game. Need a game 7!

#1406 3 years ago

Welcome

#1407 3 years ago

Congrats to Tampa Bay and the NHL. With the situation I give the NHL credit for putting on a entertaining Cup!

#1409 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Tampa earned that. Class of the league.
That was fun. Good job by the NHL.

2 months till the start of the season!

#1418 3 years ago

I called it the start of the semi-finals as I felt no matter what team from the West won they weren't strong enough to beat the East.

Being that I was so late in calling it is all the more reason all of you shouldn't listen to anything I have to say about hockey!

1 week later
#1434 3 years ago

Habs overpaid for him, so leaf fans should be glad they didn’t trade that much away for him

Wanna see overpaid ..... look at what the Penguins got stuck with for Jack Johnson! Amazing, Rutherford said "He’s a solid, third-pairing defenseman if he’s playing with the right guy. He’s a player that I happen to really like and I think he’s a better player than a lot of people want to give him credit for.”

With that said the Penguins will now be paying ....
2020-21: $1.67M
2021-22: $1.67M
2022-23: $1.9M
2023-24: $917k
2024-25: $917k
2025-26: $917k

Unless there's another Jim Rutherford (sucker) out there that will pick him up.

What I give Johnson credit for is he stems to make 1,331.833.33 the next 6 years for doing absolutely nothing because some GM thinks he's a "solid, third pairing defensemen". Who pays $16.25 million dollars over 3 years for a "solid third pairing" only if he plays with "the right guy"????

Hell pair me up with Bobby Orr and I can be a "solid third pairing"!

OK I feel better now!

#1442 3 years ago

Ottawa and Pens make a deal
Matt Murray for 2nd rounder and Jonathan Gruden

#1467 3 years ago

Sens sign Matt Murray to 4 year deal for 6.25 per year . I hope to hell, for the sake of the Sens, thats in CAD!!!

1 week later
#1484 3 years ago

Bogosian, Simmonds and Thornton... they trying to bring their average age waaaay up?

Speaking of age .... I asked the question what was Rutherford thinking when he picked up Patrick Marleau but man that question needs to be asked again as why would the Sharks take him back?

#1486 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

so he can play one game and retire a shark

Has to be the reason. Then maybe off to the front office!

#1489 3 years ago

45 games away from tying Gordie Howe for most games played in the NHL??

Yeah but from a team perspective do you take up a seat on the bench so a guy can break a record? Plus it's looking more like a 60 game schedule is going to happen since the NHL has now said it's likely the season wont start until February. Bettman is still hopeful they can do an 82 game season but with COVID looking like it's here to stay till, at least, April not sure that's possible.

You have 60 game schedule it makes it takes away 22 games for teams to make the playoffs so to have a guy sitting on the bench to break a record is asinine. BUT hey it makes for great tv drama right?

#1492 3 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

You boys hearing bout a potential Canadian division for next year? Since the border is closed, it kinda makes sense...thoughts?

As someone South of the border ..... I would love it! It may just be me but I find the Canadian teams play a more wide open hockey and it leads to faster game play. If this happens I would find myself watching all the games in Canada over the teams in the States.....except Pittsburgh (who has been boring to watch lately).

#1494 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

It’s official Jumbo signs 1 year with the Leafs

I think you'll understand if us Penguins fans dont thank the Leafs for Ceci!!

#1496 3 years ago

You guys traded Johnson for Ceci + Johnson buy out cap space...
That's like getting punched in the face AND kicked in the groin simultaneously.

So true .... I blame the Penguins medical staff as they should've recognized Rutherford's senile state

1 week later
#1512 3 years ago

In Pittsburgh people love Lemieux for what he did as a player and then for saving the franchise and keeping the team in Pittsburgh BUT I think one of the best things he did was, as soon as he took ownership of the team, getting rid of the pigeon logo and reverting back to the old logo! Probably one of the worse logos in hockey history!

1 week later
#1524 3 years ago

What’s considered the pigeon logo,

Pigeon logo (resized).pngPigeon logo (resized).png
3 weeks later
#1534 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Can I buy a pair off you Luch ?

Only if you sale me Tix to pens/leafs game in da future. I owe my son dinner at Harbor 60 next year n figured make a night of it.

Season is not starting January. Might be best to just call this season off and start next October.

#1538 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I was gonna say the opposite. Overpriced for what you get.
It's definitely an experience if you've never been, but not something that needs repeating. (Not only my opinion btw)

We ate there few years back. He wanted to order Colby steak n when the waitress told him the price he picked up his eyes off the floor and changed his order. I told him if he graduated university in the field he was signed up for I’d take him back for one. He’s a semester away.

Open to recommendations though!!!

Quoted from luch:

let me know when and if they play , i'll see if i can pull them out for you , but it is looking like an all Canadian division , because of closed border

Yeah at this point it’s looking like we won’t be going till 21-22 season. Appreciate the offer!

#1540 3 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

That's a totally fair occasion. I just know a few people that go only because they hear it's so expensive and that means it's gotta be good.

Yeah I don’t mind spending the coin but I agree with the sentiment that just cuz it’s pricey doesn’t mean it’s good.

Open to references for other places ... just has to serve Kobe steaks.

1 month later
#1547 3 years ago

So season starts in few days. Need an asterisk on the Subject field since this is technically the 2020-21 season but it's starting in 2021!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider meSz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2020-nhl-hockey-thread?tu=meSz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.