4369725F-B915-4622-8DD7-15F2D39C3699 (resized).jpeg
download.jpg
C91E4A43-A240-4925-9D7D-8548126406F6 (resized).jpeg
D8F9FE73-8637-419A-BCB8-E9E570C3A398 (resized).jpeg
B0754A6C-FDE2-4641-822C-20E71AB018D0 (resized).jpeg
3E54E91B-46D6-41DF-97F9-FAAFCDCD2DC3.gif
dontlikethat.gif
B9484C2D-E577-4968-84B6-B4A70C7AD3DE (resized).jpeg

There are 1,571 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 32.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Marleau to play on a line with Crosby ?

As a Pens fan this is disappointing. We have enough players that stand around waiting for things to happen. Everyone ask how the Pens kept winning with all the injuries and, my opinion, it was due to getting younger guys in there to hustle and not afraid to go to the net. Now that the Pens have all their players coming off IR they're losing, 3 in a row now. Hornqvist is the only one that goes to the net. Pens put up a lot of shots every game but the goaltenders have no problem seeing them as no one is in front.

Some will say Marleau brings that age and experience to the locker room but the Pens don't need that as you have two of the best players in the NHL that have the age, experience and Cups so what does Marleau bring? He use to be that guy in front of the net but I don't see that in him anymore.

Marleau coming to Pittsburgh solidifies that Guentzel will not be back at all this year!

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Marleau to play on a line with Crosby ?

no, bottom 6er like Cullen was, maybe time on 2nd PP

#453 4 years ago

Pens and Canes busy day! Don't tell me hurricanes now a dark horse cup bet?

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Pens and Canes busy day! Don't tell me hurricanes now a dark horse cup bet?

yeah Pens trade away two young guys for a guy that should've retired, a guy that we already traded away and a guy who after 5 years is still trying to find himself. Evan Rodrigues appears to be the better of of the 3 as he still has time to improve.

#455 4 years ago

Yeah tru enough alsoforgot about Canes goaltending

#456 4 years ago

I didn't see Trocheck to Carolina and Lehner to Vegas coming, so those were fun to see.
Some teams overspent, like Tampa giving a 1st up for Goodrow.
Athanasou to Edmonton to play alongside McDavid is a gamble, but should be a pretty speedy duo.
Overall not a terrible trade deadline.

#457 4 years ago

Yeah not bad at all...lots to put in the can crusher!

#458 4 years ago

Anaphase too lazy to auto correct is soft and not very good

#459 4 years ago

I watched him live all season with the barrie colts. Good press for the guy for sure

#460 4 years ago

I like marleau to Pitt. Sorry Mesz ...Great move

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I like marleau to Pitt. Sorry Mesz ...Great move

I disagree big time! An absolute waste!

#462 4 years ago

You guys are both wrong

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You guys are both wrong

I predict Marleau will score a goal his first game with the new team. And then fade away into obscurity like he did when he was traded to the sharks and leafs.

He won't be able to keep up in Pittsburgh.

#464 4 years ago

Pens still have bjugstad....need dumo and Marino back asap. Defense is killing them right now

#465 4 years ago

I think marleau was a good grab by the pens. He won’t be amazing with his point production, but that’s not really why they picked him up. He’ll provide average point production but bring great veteran leadership to the locker room and playoffs. That’s why they mostly picked him up

#466 4 years ago

The world can't get enough of David Ayres!!

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I think marleau was a good grab by the pens. He won’t be amazing with his point production, but that’s not really why they picked him up. He’ll provide average point production but bring great veteran leadership to the locker room and playoffs. That’s why they mostly picked him up

Just or maybe and hopefully like when we picked up Bill Guerin in 2009 cup win. https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/guerin-delivered-leadership-humor-and-cups-during-pens-tenure/c-308592816
And https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pens-acquire-guerin/c-496756

#468 4 years ago

Who is gonna sign David Ayres !?!?

-mof

#469 4 years ago

The mayor of Raleigh, North Carolina announced that tomorrow will be David Ayres day. He also showed up in the free agency list of my hockey pool too. Dude is a rockstar!!!

Fun fact: David Ayres had more shots on goal than William Nylander on Saturday.
Screenshot_20200224-223314.pngScreenshot_20200224-223314.png

#470 4 years ago

I hate how secretive the avs are being with Grubauers injury. I have 5 weeks left in my fantasy hockey league, and having to keep him as dead weight, possibly for no valid reason, is annoying. I’m hoping with the trade deadline now passed, they give an update soon.

#471 4 years ago

I hate how secretive the avs are being with Grubauers injury. I have 5 weeks left in my fantasy hockey league, and having to keep him as dead weight, possibly for no valid reason, is annoying. I’m hoping with the trade deadline now passed, they give an update soon.

Can you grab Francouz and run both of them? Or is he already taken?

#472 4 years ago

If that’s why they picked him up it’s even a bigger mistake. Why would you bring a guy to a team for his “leadership in the locker room for the playoffs” when you have two veterans (Crosby n Malkin) that have a combined 6 rings n Marleau has fewer appearances in the Finals then they have Rings. Penguins are not a young team.

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Can you grab Francouz and run both of them? Or is he already taken?

I was lucky enough to grab Francouz when Grubauer went down. So I have a good tandem with vasilevskiy and Francouz. Unfortunately we only have one IR slot, and I have both Grubauer and Klefbom out. Our league counts sog and blocked shots, so I don’t want to drop either. I’ll be ok having one as a dead roster spot for a bit, it would just be nice to know if I could drop Grubauer or not, that’s all

#474 4 years ago

Switching gears to my New York Rangers, I cannot believe that Shesterkin has a broken rib from a freak car accident. At least it's a non-displaced fracture. Dude is 9-1 since being called up and has been facing 40+ shots each night.

On the bright side, Chris Kreider was resigned for a reasonable amount, although it's a long contract.

On the brighter side, they moved a big contract in Brady Skjei and got back a 1 from the Hurricanes. Slick move, where they'll have a lot of cap space to sign D'Angelo, Fast & Lemieux next year.

The moves were positive.

#475 4 years ago

I agree, the Rangers did well this deadline. Losing shesterkin hurts, but at least it happened before trade deadline day. If it had happened just after, they likely would’ve gone forward with a georgiev or lundqvist trade, and then be in a predicament now. Hopefully he can heal up though and come back strong.

#476 4 years ago

I was lucky enough to grab Francouz when Grubauer went down. So I have a good tandem with vasilevskiy and Francouz. Unfortunately we only have one IR slot, and I have both Grubauer and Klefbom out. Our league counts sog and blocked shots, so I don’t want to drop either. I’ll be ok having one as a dead roster spot for a bit, it would just be nice to know if I could drop Grubauer or not, that’s all

We run with SOG and blocks too. It's a pretty deep league and we run 3 IR+ spots. Lots of action/trades/free agency pickups throughout the year.
I couldn't imagine running with only 1 IR+ spot. There's just too many injuries.

#477 4 years ago

More of David Ayres. Filled in for Colbert on the late show when he pulled a hamstring.

Skip to 9:49 of the video.

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

More of David Ayres. Filled in for Colbert on the late show when he pulled a hamstring.
Skip to 9:49 of the video.

Awesome to see this guy live out a dream but can't help but thinking.... if the Canes lost everyone would be making a joke of it at his expense.

What's crazy is the fact that Ovie scoring 700 was, basically, overlooked by this.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Awesome to see this guy live out a dream but can't help but thinking.... if the Canes lost everyone would be making a joke of it at his expense.
What's crazy is the fact that Ovie scoring 700 was, basically, overlooked by this.

I don't think that's true. He would have been forgotten just like the other emergency backups that have played. Everyone is making fun of the Leafs though

But I do agree that this totally overshadowed Ovie's 700th. lol
I don't think he minds that much because he'll be getting another 100 more.

#480 4 years ago

and then some ! beat the great one ? maybe

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

But I do agree that this totally overshadowed Ovie's 700th. lol
I don't think he minds that much because he'll be getting another 100 more.

Ovie probably welcomes it...alleviates him from having to answer the same question over and over again by the media.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Ovie probably welcomes it...alleviates him from having to answer the same question over and over again by the media.

I've been saying for 2-3 years now that Ovie is going to slow down. But he just doesn't seem to slow down. He may go through a slump but overall year in and year out he's consistent. All of his stats are insane and he is rarely injured so he never misses games.

How he continues to put up the numbers he does is beyond me. Dude is a beast and that's why I'm confident he will nail the 800 goal mark.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I've been saying for 2-3 years now that Ovie is going to slow down. But he just doesn't seem to slow down. He may go through a slump but overall year in and year out he's consistent. All of his stats are insane and he is rarely injured so he never misses games.
How he continues to put up the numbers he does is beyond me. Dude is a beast and that's why I'm confident he will nail the 800 goal mark.

Agree, to add to it ... it's not as if Ovie is one to avoid the physical play either. He has no problem in dishing out checks as well as taking them. This is what typically leads to injuries but he seems to have no problem.

I think he'll need just over 5 seasons to break the record so it will be interesting to see.

#484 4 years ago

Looking at the trades yesterday I think we're all missing what Ottawa has done not only with the trades but all the draft picks they have accumulated over the next few years.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Looking at the trades yesterday I think we're all missing what Ottawa has done not only with the trades but all the draft picks they have accumulated over the next few years.

A friend mentioned that to me in our hockey pool trash talk yesterday. My reply was "they're sitting pretty as long as Melnyk (the owner) doesn't get involved and screw things up."

He has a tendency of doing that.

#486 4 years ago
ERmsXheVAAEKWA6.jpgERmsXheVAAEKWA6.jpg
#487 4 years ago

Still confused how the Leafs managed to beat Tampa. Although Leafs to win was a great bet
Andersen is very good goalie and his stats should improve as the defence does. He looked great ..The Leafs crest shots didn't compare to the key saves Andersen made..it was like a power play set up for Tampa. Nylander goal was amazing! Good game to watch

#488 4 years ago

Mesz you are correct about Ottawa although the coverage here is pretty intense . Concensus Ottawa did very well and I like what they are quietly doing. Sometimes no one pays attention little brother with the tussled red hair, until he fires a rocket from the backyard through your neighbours window!

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Mesz you are correct about Ottawa although the coverage here is pretty intense . Concensus Ottawa did very well and I like what they are quietly doing. Sometimes no one pays attention little brother with the tussled red hair, until he fires a rocket from the backyard through your neighbours window!

Yeah they're set up pretty nicely over the next two seasons and should get a solid team together. SHOULD being the key word. I think of Edmonton in situations like this as Edmonton had the picks and should've had a very good contending team by now but I think they made some trades/transactions the kept setting them back!

As for the Penguins....I know you didn't ask but.....for the past few years now Rutherford has had this mentality that we're a few players away from being a Cup contender and he's traded for older players .... that Win now mentality. It hasn't worked! In the meantime he's traded away some of the youth players. The Pens Farm Team has gone from contender to no longer even making the playoffs. In 2-3 years when Crosby, Malkin and LeTank retire the Penguins will be in the Leaf's position! Rutherford has to go and someone new needs to get in their and rescue this team, I know it's hard for peope to see this as the Pens are in 5th place right now but trust me it's coming.

Only 2 of the Penguins D and O are under the age of 25
Crosby, Malkin, LeTank and Johnson are the oldest on the team, beside Grandpa Marleau

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah they're set up pretty nicely over the next two seasons and should get a solid team together. SHOULD being the key word. I think of Edmonton in situations like this as Edmonton had the picks and should've had a very good contending team by now but I think they made some trades/transactions the kept setting them back!
As for the Penguins....I know you didn't ask but.....for the past few years now Rutherford has had this mentality that we're a few players away from being a Cup contender and he's traded for older players .... that Win now mentality. It hasn't worked! In the meantime he's traded away some of the youth players. The Pens Farm Team has gone from contender to no longer even making the playoffs. In 2-3 years when Crosby, Malkin and LeTank retire the Penguins will be in the Leaf's position! Rutherford has to go and someone new needs to get in their and rescue this team, I know it's hard for peope to see this as the Pens are in 5th place right now but trust me it's coming.
Only 2 of the Penguins D and O are under the age of 25
Crosby, Malkin, LeTank and Johnson are the oldest on the team, beside Grandpa Marleau

Be happy that the Pens have Stanley cups!! I’ve watched my Canucks come close 2 times (they were swept in 4 vs Bossy & the Isles in ‘81) look at the Kings & Hawks..struggling now, but they’ve won a cup..the window/opportunity isn’t to long..mind you, the playoffs are like a poker final table..anything can happen

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Be happy that the Pens have Stanley cups!! I’ve watched my Canucks come close 2 times (they were swept in 4 vs Bossy & the Isles in ‘81) look at the Kings & Hawks..struggling now, but they’ve won a cup..the window/opportunity isn’t to long..mind you, the playoffs are like a poker final table..anything can happen

Yeah I hear ya and agree! My family has had season tickets for the Penguins since 69' (I picked them up in 84 and have had them since) and 69 to 88 were tough years. A LOT of losing. Never thought I'd see the day when they won the Cup nonetheless 5 of them.

Like Chicago I see the Pens headed this way where they keep a few vets thinking that they can win the Cup on their own. Kane and Toews are their best players but yet they're both 32 years of age! Not good! Kane and Toews just can't support a team anymore and one has to wonder how much longer Crosby and Malkin can! Should say Crosby as Malkin, hate to sound like I am ripping him but, shines when Crosby is out!

You know if it weren't for a lack of talent I would show all if these guys how to do it!!!

#492 4 years ago

You're always ripping them.

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

We run with SOG and blocks too. It's a pretty deep league and we run 3 IR+ spots. Lots of action/trades/free agency pickups throughout the year.
I couldn't imagine running with only 1 IR+ spot. There's just too many injuries.

My friends finally convinced me to play fantasy hockey once again this year after I have stopped playing for many Or several years. I always had the hockey package and watched multiple other teams games including my team the Pens and home team Coyotes. Anyway our league has 12 teams and $150 buy where top two teams get pay out. We just started playoffs and I finished six overall as last spot to make playoffs so was thrilled for first season back. I am already down this week but playoff match up is 2 wks so might have a chance but now Stamkos could be out and I decided not to start Anderson as thought he had a tougher schedule this week but won the other night and Smith lost to Ducks go figure. My team on the left in pics. Any thoughts?

6126E74F-166C-40C1-ACDF-93B1B1D88622 (resized).jpeg6126E74F-166C-40C1-ACDF-93B1B1D88622 (resized).jpeg7CFE9DDC-506B-491B-9AD4-E73D90E707D5 (resized).jpeg7CFE9DDC-506B-491B-9AD4-E73D90E707D5 (resized).jpegB437FC7A-0C1C-4670-92FD-CA9964D50979 (resized).jpegB437FC7A-0C1C-4670-92FD-CA9964D50979 (resized).jpeg
#494 4 years ago

I agree, the Rangers did well this deadline. Losing shesterkin hurts, but at least it happened before trade deadline day. If it had happened just after, they likely would’ve gone forward with a georgiev or lundqvist trade, and then be in a predicament now. Hopefully he can heal up though and come back strong.

See my post above as for you thoughts as well too.

#495 4 years ago

On a side note watching the Pens losing horrible to the Kings was unexpected tonight. 4th loss in a row and no scoring trouble for us.

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

On a side note watching the Pens losing horrible to the Kings was unexpected tonight. 4th loss in a row and no scoring trouble for us.

4th loss, 3 of which to losing teams. Tonight’s game is as brutal, no one in front of the net. Pens with 36 SOG and not one was off a rebound.
Only the 5th game this year for LAs goalie and 2 win.
Pens need few of the stars to get injured again so the young guys, the ones Rutherford hasn’t traded, can play and win games.

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Until 2018 being a Caps fan was pretty miserable. I was 12 years old when i went to my first Caps game...Round 1 in 1998, the year the Caps went to the cup and got swept by Detroit. I was hooked to hockey after that and went to games in every round. My expectations were high, and they never got close again until Ovechkin arrived.

I hope the Canucks win one day for your sake. It really changes you as a fan haha. Since the Cup was only 2 years ago, but I still dont seem to get as upset over losses as I did in the past. However I am dreading the future with no Ovechkin or Backstrom.

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

My friends finally convinced me to play fantasy hockey once again this year after I have stopped playing for many Or several years. I always had the hockey package and watched multiple other teams games including my team the Pens and home team Coyotes. Anyway our league has 12 teams and $150 buy where top two teams get pay out. We just started playoffs and I finished six overall as last spot to make playoffs so was thrilled for first season back. I am already down this week but playoff match up is 2 wks so might have a chance but now Stamkos could be out and I decided not to start Anderson as thought he had a tougher schedule this week but won the other night and Smith lost to Ducks go figure. My team on the left in pics. Any thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's kind of hard for me to give you specific help because I don't know how the stats for your fantasy league work. When you draft are those your players for the year? Or can you add/drop players? Can you trade?

I'll just give you my overall modus operandi for fantasy hockey.

Just to give you an idea, the stats for my fantasy league are G/A/PPP/SOG/Blocks/Hits for skaters. Wins/GAA/SAV% for the goalies. We have 3 IR+ positions and 4 adds per week. The trade deadline for our league was yesterday and the pool playoffs start in 2 weeks.

My first rule is I want players who shoot the puck & that are on the #1 powerplay for their team.
My second rule is I want players that'll be on a team that will be in the playoffs/fighting for a playoff spot come end of the year.
My third rule is don't overload your roster with players from one team. (2 max)
My fourth rule is I don't draft injury prone players.

With that said, I wouldn't have Letang, Nurse, Bergeron, Armia, Ellis or Nelson on my team. I would try to trade them if I had them. But like I said I don't know the details of your fantasy pool so it's hard to give good advice.

This is my team this year. Currently in 2nd place....but 1 point behind first with 2 weeks left.
Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

4th loss, 3 of which to losing teams. Tonight’s game is as brutal, no one in front of the net. Pens with 36 SOG and not one was off a rebound.
Only the 5th game this year for LAs goalie and 2 win.
Pens need few of the stars to get injured again so the young guys, the ones Rutherford hasn’t traded, can play and win games.

I think Kahun was set to be a FA this summer, and they weren’t likely to sign him. Cant keep/play them all. Now McCann is hurt.

Pens are getting schooled on face offs and their power play is around 12th. They have been top 5 the past three years.

We need to see this team again once dumo and Marino are back in the lineup. Jack Johnson and kris Letang is a terrible pairing. Johnson was getting schooled hard last night.
Dumo-Letang
Marino-petterson
Johnson-Schulz

Riikola has a very good game last night. Petterson looks like he’s hit a wall the past few games. Capitals abused his ass Sunday!

Pens fans (I, included) have been blessed to the point of being a little spoiled. They played really good the past two games and carried play for most of those games. But they couldn’t get pucks in the net. It’s not how they play the last week of February, but how they are playing the end of May that’s most important!!! Let’s Go Pens!

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I think Kahun was set to be a FA this summer, and they weren’t likely to sign him. Cant keep/play them all. Now McCann is hurt.
Pens are getting schooled on face offs and their power play is around 12th. They have been top 5 the past three years.
We need to see this team again once dumo and Marino are back in the lineup. Jack Johnson and kris Letang is a terrible pairing. Johnson was getting schooled hard last night.
Dumo-Letang
Marino-petterson
Johnson-Schulz
Riikola has a very good game last night. Petterson looks like he’s hit a wall the past few games. Capitals abused his ass Sunday!
Pens fans (I, included) have been blessed to the point of being a little spoiled. They played really good the past two games and carried play for most of those games. But they couldn’t get pucks in the net. It’s not how they play the last week of February, but how they are playing the end of May that’s most important!!! Let’s Go Pens!

Yeah the LeTank anf Johnson pairing I do understand to a point as Johnson is that stay at home Defenseman and that is need with LeTank jumping up on O all the time. Problem is, Johnson is too slow and easilt skated around.

LeTank last night....first goal for LA was on PP which was a result of LeTank taking a dumb penalty. Second goal, if you go back and watch the video, was off a rebound and the scorer should've been picked up by LeTank but you can see LeTank making no effort at all to get back to him. LeTank is exceptional at skating and playing on O but when it comes to D.....he's below average.

As Pens fans we're spoiled but I guess what is frustrating is when you see the team they have you have to wonder how they can lose games to the likes of LA, Toronto and Buffalo then put up a good showing against the Caps?!??!

There are 1,571 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2020-nhl-hockey-thread/page/10?hl=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.