IMG_6484 (resized).jpg
DSC02449 (resized).jpg
DSC02509 (resized).jpg
IMG_6478 (resized).jpg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
IMG_6485 (resized).jpg
IMG_6486 (resized).jpg
ENE6vZutSbK7OdtSdbGgHQ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#300 5 years ago

I'm arriving Thursday, thanks to the insistence of my buddy who wanted to take things easy rather than arrive the day of. But now he had to bail on me, so I'm looking for stuff to do / people to join Thursday evening and Friday pre-show. I noticed there's the National Videogame Museum: how is that, is it worth checking out? I know about the meet and greet but there's still plenty of time before that on Friday.

Anyone else staying at Staybridge Colony? I'm a sucker for hot buffet spread...

Quoted from Frax:

I seriously want to put out a "Best Hole-in-the-Wall Guide" before the show next year, because I see posts like this and just want to smash heads in. It's not ALL about freakin' BBQ or overpriced crap, but ya gotta venture out and around a bit.

What happened? I could use this, Thursday night might be the time to check one of these places out. I may have to go scan last year's thread.

#327 5 years ago

Are there any natural wonders in the area or a good hike? I might want to do something outdoors if the weather is nice Friday morning: would be so refreshing versus the long dreary season in the PNW.

On GB, wondering what -exactly- might be interesting to ask... Maybe if we formulate something just right we can get something more than the SOTU answer, it's on the schedule... I haven't looked at the seminar, are the right people there to address this?

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wrong, its one of Sterns best sellers, and is a valid question after a 26 month wait. No reason to keep being rude.

It was a big seller, so lots have a vested stake for sure. I'll ask if I'm in that seminar, haven't figured out my plan yet.

I haven't followed the issue closely, let me know if you have something specific to ask. What would you say is the major feature or problem missing from the game that I might reference? I want to be ready if they challenge back that "it's pretty much complete, what else do you want" type of response, ha.

Otherwise, I'll just ask about it being on the SOTU for so long, and nothing seems to be happening. Can they provide any insight on timing and whether it will be minor bugs or more substantial updates and why hasn't it got more priority as it was a big seller and many are looking forward to it.

#337 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Not exactly close to the event, but here's some decent hiking/trails at the Heard Museum: http://www.heardmuseum.org/naturetrails
Not really hiking, but if you're up for a drive and like to be in a park yet in the middle of downtown, I can recommend Klyde Warren Park: https://www.klydewarrenpark.org/. Lots of outdoor games (e.g.: croquet, bocce ball) and some really good food trucks. You can get to downtown via light rail if you can get a ride to Parker Road station in Plano: https://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp
And while you're in the area, Cidercade isn't too far away and has a gaggle of pins: https://www.cidercade.com/
Otherwise, as mentioned before by others, the DFW area is primarily all old farm land that is now the very definition of urban sprawl.

Thanks. I will have a car. Is there any kind of route you'd recommend for a driving tour that has outdoor points-of-interest to stop at and would give me a good feel for the area? I'll probably do enough gaming at the show, want to do some regular vacation stuff Friday before the show, as who knows if I'll ever be back.

#341 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Trying to figure out what information you'd expect us to glean with this obnoxious gambit.

I'm kind of wondering if they'd do anything but tow the company line from SOTU too. But the fact it's been on there for so long in a kind of delayed / pending state is kind of a mystery warranting a question too. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

#342 5 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

How about a state park? Dinosaur Valley and Possum Kingdom are each about 3 hours away.

Ohh, sounds cool, but that's probably too big of a time investment: need to get to the show for opening.

#378 5 years ago

What is the deal with the tollways in the area? Do I need to prepare somehow with my rental car, or can you always pay manually?

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

The deal is they are a bad deal (or perhaps a "borderline scam") for visitors. The rental car companies use the toll roads as a source of revenue.

Just found Thrifty's policy. $15 administrative fee per toll + the toll. Ha, what a joke! You can opt-in to PlatePass daily rate instead but I can't find how much it is, just says to ask at the counter.

Found more details about PlatePass. Pretty lame, but it sounds like you can get it as a precaution, and if you avoid all tolling, there's no charges.

You will be charged for each toll at the highest, undiscounted toll rate plus a $5.95 convenience fee for each calendar day when tolls are incurred. There is no maximum PlatePass convenience fee.

I miss throwing coins in a basket.

#452 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

my recommendation is that people be honest about how much they’re really going to drive around during the weekend. When I travel on business, I never rent a car anymore. Usually everything I do is within a specific radius, so I Lyft it (or take turns picking up the Lyft with co-workers). Ultimately ends up at least a wash, if not ahead.
Anyway, just food for thought

I got a mid-size car for $17/day, with fees totals $82 for the weekend. I don't know much about the ride-shares but I imagine that's tough to beat.

By the way, if any need a ride from there, I'm arriving at DAL / Love field, Thursday at 5pm. Then I'll be heading to the Arcade Museum for the pre-party.

#496 5 years ago

How about a state park? Dinosaur Valley and Possum Kingdom are each about 3 hours away.

I looked into this option some more, looks like Dinosaur Valley is less than 2 hours away, and sounds like a good place to get a feel for Texas outdoors versus Washington State. My current plan is to head out there Friday morning. I'm going to stop at a bike rental place and see if a mountain bike will fit in my rental car. If not, depending on if there's appealing trails right there, I may bike there, otherwise continue to Dinosaur Valley for hiking adventure. Best case I will be mountain biking around Dinosaur Valley.

Anyone interested in joining me? Or any suggestions about this plan or where to rent a bike (sounds like Mellow Johnny's) or ride some trails? Outdoor recreation during the day, and pinball at night is the perfect day for me!

Also, going to be at the Videogame Museum pre-party Thursday night. I'll be wearing camo pants (for serious gaming only!) and black Stern tee if any pinsiders want to meet up, say hi, or interested to discuss above or similar activities for Friday morning.

#516 5 years ago

4am in Seattle, just grabbing breakfast before heading to the airport.

Safe travels to you too, Rob and everyone else.

#532 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Heading to the airport in a little bit for our 11th TPF in a row. It used to be a 4 hour drive and now it's a 4 hour flight.
Can't wait to see our old pinball friends and make some new ones!

You on SW 2247 too? Seemed like the best deal. I'm already at the gate, way early...

#539 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

The best non stop I could find was Alaska flight 642. Arriving 6:30 Dallas time.

Come to think of it, there were some really early flights that were cheaper, but the SW one was $310 all told, not bad.

I was wondering if any other Seattleites were attending. Will you have a name badge? I'm keeping my eye out for fellow pinsiders...

#548 5 years ago

Argh, flight delayed... "routine maintenance"... wouldn't routine maintenance be done on a schedule that doesn't interfere with flight timing? Sounds fishy...

2 weeks later
#1030 5 years ago

Can't thank you enough for this recommendation, loved checking out DV on Friday morning. I didn't get back for the show until around 9, but it was worth it!

Even managed to rent a mountain bike and throw it in my rental car, so I could tour around the whole park.

DV-top (resized).jpgDV-top (resized).jpgDV-overlook (resized).jpgDV-overlook (resized).jpgDV-step (resized).jpgDV-step (resized).jpgDV-biking (resized).jpgDV-biking (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider highvoltage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-texas-pinball-festival?tu=highvoltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.