IMG_6484 (resized).jpg
DSC02449 (resized).jpg
DSC02509 (resized).jpg
IMG_6478 (resized).jpg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
IMG_6485 (resized).jpg
IMG_6486 (resized).jpg
ENE6vZutSbK7OdtSdbGgHQ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjchand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from Hardsuit:

If you are here early/late and want a good place to go for pinball and classic arcade machines, I'd recommend Cidercade near downtown Dallas. $10 cover gets you all day play on 25 pins and 100+ arcade machines all set on free play.
https://www.cidercade.com

Can definitely recommend Cidercade, as well. It's a bit of a haul to get there, but worth it if you have the time.

Free Play (http://freeplayrichardson.com/) is closer, but they have less pins and last few times I've been there the pins have been somewhat poorly maintained.

#331 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Are there any natural wonders in the area or a good hike? I might want to do something outdoors if the weather is nice Friday morning: would be so refreshing versus the long dreary season in the PNW.

Not exactly close to the event, but here's some decent hiking/trails at the Heard Museum: http://www.heardmuseum.org/naturetrails

Not really hiking, but if you're up for a drive and like to be in a park yet in the middle of downtown, I can recommend Klyde Warren Park: https://www.klydewarrenpark.org/. Lots of outdoor games (e.g.: croquet, bocce ball) and some really good food trucks. You can get to downtown via light rail if you can get a ride to Parker Road station in Plano: https://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

And while you're in the area, Cidercade isn't too far away and has a gaggle of pins: https://www.cidercade.com/

Otherwise, as mentioned before by others, the DFW area is primarily all old farm land that is now the very definition of urban sprawl.

#343 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Thanks. I will have a car. Is there any kind of route you'd recommend for a driving tour that has outdoor points-of-interest to stop at and would give me a good feel for the area? I'll probably do enough gaming at the show, want to do some regular vacation stuff Friday before the show, as who knows if I'll ever be back.

Typical touristy stuff is to visit the Book Depository building (IMHO, the tinfoil hat wearers on the Grassy Knoll are the most entertaining part - the Conspiracy Museum is better), Reunion Tower (think: different version of the Space Needle), and Six Flags.

If you're wondering why there's not much to see, it's because there isn't. There's a reason why housing is (relatively) cheap and abundant here... or at least it was before the Californians arrived

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

The deal is they are a bad deal (or perhaps a "borderline scam") for visitors.

As a DFW resident, I can’t disagree with that. Tollways are getting out of hand.

That aside, my recommendation is that people be honest about how much they’re really going to drive around during the weekend. When I travel on business, I never rent a car anymore. Usually everything I do is within a specific radius, so I Lyft it (or take turns picking up the Lyft with co-workers). Ultimately ends up at least a wash, if not ahead.

Anyway, just food for thought

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Still looking for a ride back to Austin (south) on Sunday. Just need to be dumped off the I-35 near 6th street exit. I will just have a suitcase. My brother is coming to TPF Friday on his motorcycle.

You can also see about riding the MegaBus: https://us.megabus.com/route-guides/dallas-to-austin-bus

It’s really inexpensive, has WiFi, and I’m told is actually pretty nice inside.

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Might have to ride the bus if I no one can kick me to the curb in Austin.

I’ve known many people who have ridden the MegaBus and not ended up with the plague. Bring some sanitizer and entertainment and don’t sweat it

Quick “small world” aside: My mom’s family hails from NS and PIE. Drove there from Dallas with my G’pa 30+ years ago. Inspired me to take French in high school and college.

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I want to go to the Stars game next door Saturday night.

Just FYI, the Stars HQ is next door, but they play at the AAC which is in downtown Dallas.

Can’t recall if they have a farm team that plays in Frisco, but the Allen Americans (in neighboring Allen) is a really good farm team that still plays entertaining hockey.

#706 5 years ago
Quoted from Junkhauler:

My new Metallica Premium and a couple of nice pin pics.....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your TOTAN is absolutely beautiful. Was eyeing it the whole time I was in line to play Big Lebowski (insert dude looking at other chick meme here).

#774 5 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Once security showed up, he cooled down. Got 2 more boos in before there was a confrontation with Kaneda in the hallway.

I got a bit nervous when a Kaneda fan went back to confront Sir Boos-a-lot, what with people having a few (dozen) beers and whatnot.

Luckily, I saw the two of them shaking hands as I left the awards.

#fortheloveofpinball

#795 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Grand champion for best overall pinball:
Totan...kevin moore
[quoted image]

As a fellow High Speed owner, I was pulling for Marc’s HS, but that TOTAN was a *very* impressive pin. Immaculate... and had its own flying carpet under the legs!

#820 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I believe his name was Booey McBooFace.

I was going for Sir Boos-a-lot, but that works, too.

#825 5 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Great show, stuck in the airport now due to storms rolling through.

Those storms cracked my windshield

North Texas weather. My High Speed stayed safe while my car got pelted. Choices...

5031AB11-22B6-4B90-AE3D-DECDE19F8954 (resized).jpeg5031AB11-22B6-4B90-AE3D-DECDE19F8954 (resized).jpeg
#832 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

. Would love to see 'zones' or interest areas in the future if possible. !

If there was a System 11 zone, I would never leave.

#929 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The seminars need urgent work, you can't just take $person and dump them onto a stage with no plan about what they are going to talk about.

Looks over at JJP... <_<

I'd like to see the TPF organizers to hold presenters accountable for having presentation-worthy content. Turning what should have been just a press release into an hour-long session was not really enjoyable for anyone involved.

On a similar note, presuming we're going to get the official release of BKSoF today, as a TPF attendee that really ticks me off. Would like Stern to have shown us some love there. A big part of the reason to attend a show like this is to be there for big announcements.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The stream of Bowen's thing though could have been a lot better with a little effort, it was easier to see the carpet than the score on the projector screen.

Agreed!

Suggestion: The TPF team should own any video feeds so they can ensure they have the right hardware available, optimized for the location. After all, this reflects not just on the vendor but also the event itself.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

thanks to those who put it on and the many many excellent volunteers.

My bitching aside, I really did love the event!

I'm also happy that I was able to volunteer and pitch in. They made the volunteering process easy, though perhaps a quick write up for our assigned task would have smoothed things out a bit. It was on-the-job training for registrations, but we eventually got it worked out

#945 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Stern &amp; TPF wanted the focus on Munsters at TPF since the guests from the TV show were attending.

Fair point. I didn't think of it that way.

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That's about one game every 2 minutes![quoted image]

Back in my day, there was no ball save! <insert shaking fist emoji>

My HS, with a combo of my and the neighborhood kids’ times, averages 40 seconds per ball - and I’m fine with that. I prefer my pinball brutal. That way, when you do have a long game, it is something special.

BTW, your Xenon was gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

If they finally release a Hardtop for HS, I suspect I’ll be plummeting down the pristine restoration hole.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjchand.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-texas-pinball-festival?tu=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.