IMG_6484 (resized).jpg
DSC02449 (resized).jpg
DSC02509 (resized).jpg
IMG_6478 (resized).jpg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
IMG_6485 (resized).jpg
IMG_6486 (resized).jpg
ENE6vZutSbK7OdtSdbGgHQ (resized).jpg
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 21.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

take the glass off of my games so that she can "practice"

Its at times like these that I fall back on Nike for marriage advice.

JUST DO IT

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I am wondering how far I must go in submitting to her demands?

If she's stronger than you, yes. And post pictures. I'd like to see you in the leather red ball harness. Again.

LTG : )

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm arriving Thursday, thanks to the insistence of my buddy who wanted to take things easy rather than arrive the day of. But now he had to bail on me, so I'm looking for stuff to do / people to join Thursday evening and Friday pre-show. I noticed there's the National Videogame Museum: how is that, is it worth checking out?

Just a heads up for anyone who will be in town on Thursday, March 21. The National Videogame Museum will be hosting The Official TPF Pre-Party from 7-10pm. This is one of our NVM: After Dark events where you get to hang in the museum after hours. Get your Video Pinball game on in an adults only setting (21 & over). All of our consoles will be loaded with video pinball games! Music by DJ Terminator Mike B! Enjoy beer, wine or a specialty cocktail from the NVM bar. Live podcasts, tournaments and NVM prizes. Sponsored by Free Play Arcade! Get your tickets here: http://freeplayinc.com/afterdark/

#354 5 years ago

LOL! Downvotes!

It's true. GB debuted 3 years ago this month. It's been in Stern's archive for several months.

#355 5 years ago

Thanks, NVMUSA! This is a great place to visit. Highly recommended.

#356 5 years ago

Does anyone know if there will be show posters produced and available for sale at the show?

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I always just put it down to crazylevi being a New Yorker. Nothing wrong with that.

True. Some New Yorkers are just brutally honest and those are the best ones.
I was fortunate to meet up with pinaholic in NYC a few years back while holding a DA 31 pass.
The guy made me feel like a family member and drove me around in his cooper to other pinball establishments.
Good bless that guy with all his endeavors.

#358 5 years ago

It's getting real close, me and my buddies are getting super excited about this trip and what it has to offer. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread as it has been very informative so keep them coming.

Understandably this is a Pinball event however I was wondering what about arcades machines?
Locally is there something that we can go and play or what about purchasing arcade parts can anyone recommend something along those lines.

Much appreciated.

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

It's getting real close, me and my buddies are getting super excited about this trip and what it has to offer. Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread as it has been very informative so keep them coming.
Understandably this is a Pinball event however I was wondering what about arcades machines?
Locally is there something that we can go and play or what about purchasing arcade parts can anyone recommend something along those lines.
Much appreciated.

Locally, check out cidercade, freeplay richardson, and regeneration arcade.

There is a swap meet at 8am on saturday rught outside the hotel. You can also check out some sites on Facebook:

DFW pinball and arcade club
-and -
DFW pinball, arcades, and coin op classifieds

#360 5 years ago

Hey guys, any advice for a first time buyer at TPF? Never bought a pin at a convention before, only through websites or private sale.

#361 5 years ago

Great place to buy pins. Just remember, if you plan on removing a pin from the floor before the show is over there is a $60 charge.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

Hey guys, any advice for a first time buyer at TPF? Never bought a pin at a convention before, only through websites or private sale.

What pins are you looking for? New, used, em, modern? Lots of things to consider. The nice thing is you can play them beforehand.

If you're looking for new (or show demos) there are a few different distributors putting in the time tim set up and answer all your questions. I would suggest one of them over someone just handing out cards and a smile.

As I've said in multiple threads, anyone can sell a game. A real distributor is there for you when things dont work.

If this is your first game I would stick with a local distributor (fun! comes to mind).

Let me know if there is anything I can help with. We are distributors for Jersey jack, spooky, Chicago gaming, american pinball and namco.

#363 5 years ago

Good advice. I’ve bought pins before, just never at a convention. Really looking forward to it. Appreciate the info!

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

LOL! Downvotes!
It's true. GB debuted 3 years ago this month. It's been in Stern's archive for several months.

you are right 10th of march 2016, but they must have got the license earlier to start the artwork etc on it.

#365 5 years ago

See post 362. You can't go wrong with Kingpin Games. Chris is great before sale, during sale, and after sale. He personally doubles any factory warranty. He cares about his customers.

LTG : )

#366 5 years ago

I was going to list a game, but a "Pre-Sale" Pinsider figured it out and decided to grab it before I even thought of listing it...

Pre-sale (resized).jpgPre-sale (resized).jpg
#367 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Does anyone know if there will be show posters produced and available for sale at the show?

Im sure there will be. as an exhibitor I got a couple last year. And I'll have my embroidered patches again.

Ken

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I was going to list a game, but a "Pre-Sale" Pinsider figured it out and decided to grab it before I even thought of listing it... [quoted image]

2F853C2F-E070-443D-86A1-4A5630D29B58 (resized).jpeg2F853C2F-E070-443D-86A1-4A5630D29B58 (resized).jpeg
#369 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

you are right 10th of march 2016, but they must have got the license earlier to start the artwork etc on it.

That would be true of any game, and yet most of them ran for 3 years after announcement.

#370 5 years ago

How is the current hotel availability within walking distance of TPF? I had an AirBnB reservation for a place within walking distance and the host just cancelled on me tonight. Now I need to scramble and find a hotel that doesn't require a rental car or lengthy Uber rides. I will be checking for hotel availability first thing Monday morning, but if someone has made a recent reservation for a hotel near TPF I'd like to see if I can jump on that first.

#371 5 years ago

All three games are cleaned, 100% and ready to load! I'm early this year... Can't wait to see all of you. (And even meet some of yous!)

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from N101AA:

How is the current hotel availability within walking distance of TPF? I had an AirBnB reservation for a place within walking distance and the host just cancelled on me tonight. Now I need to scramble and find a hotel that doesn't require a rental car or lengthy Uber rides. I will be checking for hotel availability first thing Monday morning, but if someone has made a recent reservation for a hotel near TPF I'd like to see if I can jump on that first.

Here is a screenshot from hotels.com - show is in the center of the 4 grouped red points (hotels without rooms). The green points are walkable hotels with available rooms:

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.04.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.04.38 AM (resized).png

The two on the very bottom of the image - Sandman and Staybridge - are a much longer walk than the two at the very top of the image (Homewood suites and Aloft). I'm staying at the Hampton Inn - red dot that is essentially across the street from the two at the top of the image. It might be a 5 minute walk from there to the main entrance of the venue.

On their site I plug in my dates and then re-order the results by distance from dr. pepper ballpark - this will ID the closest ones for you. Looks like the Sandman and Staybridge are around $110 and all of them are $150 a night or more.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#373 5 years ago

I am staying at the Indigo, which is very close and not on the previous map. reasonable cost too

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I am staying at the Indigo, which is very close and not on the previous map. reasonable cost too

I went with them as well, it was the most affordable (~$120 per night with tax) and close option when I was looking at rooms. I think the hotel is less than 3 years old too, so It should be in decent condition still.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

Much appreciated.

Quoted from extendo:

Much appreciated.

I would check out
Bishop Cidercade

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from amstrick:

You can go to the "TPF may be for sale thread" and post what you are interested in to see if someone might have one they would bring or are bringing to the show.

I'm sure Evin the Pinsmith will be at the show fixing pins as they break down & for a small fee you could have him look over any pin you would like to purchase and check its operating systems to ensure everything is working and in good order.

I have purchased from dealers and individuals and have not had any issues with either. If you are at all mechanically inclined pins are pretty simple to service and do general repairs yourself. Pinside market place usually has competitively priced games and there is also a ton of info in the threads on troubleshooting, repairs, mods, etc.

#377 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

If this is your first game I would stick with a local distributor (fun! comes to mind).

Appreciate the shout out Chris.

Here is what we are intending to bring to the show for Free Play. sale I addition to the 30+ new Sterns we’ll have demo’ing in our FUN/Marco/Stern booth.
Gotta also kick a BIG SHOUT out to all of our demo game buyers! THANK YOU for helping making the TPF one of if not the best Pinball Events in the country.

Our list....
Munsters Premium New
ACDC Premium Vault New
Ghostbusters Premium New
Star Wars Premium New
2 x Beatles Gold New
Kiss Pro freshly shopped, excellent
WWE LE freshly shopped, excellent
Game of Thrones Pro - freshly shopped excellent
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure (shopped, new cab decals, Premium LEDs, purdy!)
Space Station - very nice, LEDs
MM - original, very nice, shopped with color DMD and LEDs
TOM - freshly shopped, LEDs, spinning saw, color dmd, excellent
Pacman Multicade
Space Invaders/Qix Multicade
Oktoberfest New
WMS Record Jackpots Slot Machine w/topper and stand & stool (very nice with Tito printer)
....and MBr’s and AFMr’s NEW

...I think that’s it

#378 5 years ago

What is the deal with the tollways in the area? Do I need to prepare somehow with my rental car, or can you always pay manually?

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

What is the deal with the tollways in the area? Do I need to prepare somehow with my rental car, or can you always pay manually?

The tollways in Dallas take pics of the cars license plate and bill the owner of the car.
You may want to ask the rental car company how they handle this as the NTTA does not have toll booths anymore.

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

The deal is they are a bad deal (or perhaps a "borderline scam") for visitors. The rental car companies use the toll roads as a source of revenue. Here is what is on the toll road web site about the topic: https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/tolltag/tolltagrentalcars/Pages/default.aspx

And here is what it ends looking like to a traveller looking through their rental car agreement: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/avoid-rental-car-toll-charges/ . This year I'm going to tell google maps to avoid toll roads.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#381 5 years ago

Even though I go to TPF nearly every year, this is my first year with a booth.

I'm looking for a voluneteer that is bringing a S.A.M game that is willing to put their game in or near my booth. It will get a free LED speaker light and undercab lighting kit installed that will go home with the game. The system is tied into the game without any perminent modifications, does not involve an unreliable LED controller, and is tied into the game flasher system.

For the show I will have a number of LED items. I make LED displays and related stuff for games. Some of the items I will have at the show includes
-RGB Run-DMD jumbo LED displays (40"x11")
-Red Run-DMD Jumbo LED displays (40"x11")
-Red programmable Jumbo LED displays (40"x11")
-Pinball Run-DMD kits including frames and accessories
-Pinball DMD clock (prototype there. Taking orders though)
-LED lighting driver board
-LED speaker rings for Stern SAM and Whitestar games

Maybe some other cool stuff as well if I can get it finished in time...

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

The deal is they are a bad deal (or perhaps a "borderline scam") for visitors.

As a DFW resident, I can’t disagree with that. Tollways are getting out of hand.

That aside, my recommendation is that people be honest about how much they’re really going to drive around during the weekend. When I travel on business, I never rent a car anymore. Usually everything I do is within a specific radius, so I Lyft it (or take turns picking up the Lyft with co-workers). Ultimately ends up at least a wash, if not ahead.

Anyway, just food for thought

#383 5 years ago

I sent you a pm.

Quoted from ddebuss:

I'm looking for a voluneteer that is bringing a S.A.M game that is willing to put their game in or near my booth. It will get a free LED speaker light and undercab lighting kit installed that will go home with the game. The system is tied into the game without any perminent modifications, does not involve an unreliable LED controller, and is tied into the game flasher system.
For the show I will have a number of LED items. I make LED displays and related stuff for games. Some of the items I will have at the show includes

Quoted from ddebuss:

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

The deal is they are a bad deal (or perhaps a "borderline scam") for visitors. The rental car companies use the toll roads as a source of revenue. Here is what is on the toll road web site about the topic: https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/tolltag/tolltagrentalcars/Pages/default.aspx
And here is what it ends looking like to a traveller looking through their rental car agreement: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/avoid-rental-car-toll-charges/ . This year I'm going to tell google maps to avoid toll roads.
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

I agree, E-ZPass should have been a national standard. Our rental company is charging 3.95/day, which is not outrageous, but still annoying. I'm not sure you can avoid tolls from the airport. At least the cost of renting a car in Texas is cheap, at least compared to Chicago, where it's double the price.

Separately, we have been gearing up our inventory for the show and will have a heavily modded maiden pro in our booth on free play, so please stop by and check it out. If anyone knows they want any of our mods at the show, please let us know beforehand so we can put it aside. While we will have most of our mods available, they will be in limited quantities, unfortunately.

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

The deal is they are a bad deal (or perhaps a "borderline scam") for visitors. The rental car companies use the toll roads as a source of revenue.

Just found Thrifty's policy. $15 administrative fee per toll + the toll. Ha, what a joke! You can opt-in to PlatePass daily rate instead but I can't find how much it is, just says to ask at the counter.

Found more details about PlatePass. Pretty lame, but it sounds like you can get it as a precaution, and if you avoid all tolling, there's no charges.

You will be charged for each toll at the highest, undiscounted toll rate plus a $5.95 convenience fee for each calendar day when tolls are incurred. There is no maximum PlatePass convenience fee.

I miss throwing coins in a basket.

#386 5 years ago

I highly recommend using the Waze app for navigating around Dallas.

It will help you avoid (some) traffic.

Set it to avoid tolls and you’re all set.

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I always just set Google Maps on my phone to "Avoid Tolls", and use the directions it gives me. It's never let me down so far.

#388 5 years ago

Seen several good restaurant recommendations. Perry's Steakhouse immediately across the street is a little high end for me on a pinball trip.

Except... The Friday lunch pork chop deal. Huge and delicious pork chop meal for $15. Good for 11AM to 4PM Friday only.

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from PNorth:

I always just set Google Maps on my phone to "Avoid Tolls", and use the directions it gives me. It's never let me down so far.

I have a Toll Tag and "I just want to go Fast!"

Just remember..............

tenor.giftenor.gif
#390 5 years ago

Got a toll tag after my first TPF. Works here and Houston and for that big 4 lane free for all that lets me bypass Austin at 80MPH.

For a good reasonably priced homestyle meal I highly recommend Norma's Cafe across Gaylord Parkway and a block or two east. Great pie as well.

Shawn

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

That aside, my recommendation is that people be honest about how much they’re really going to drive around during the weekend. When I travel on business, I never rent a car anymore. Usually everything I do is within a specific radius, so I Lyft it (or take turns picking up the Lyft with co-workers). Ultimately ends up at least a wash, if not ahead.
Anyway, just food for thought

Good thinking foot - It's possible for TPF... I didn't rent a car last year. The round-trip cost of Lyft from Love field equaled the cost of renting a car. But with one side trip you are better off with a car and I need to make two this year. But your advise is solid - I'm presently finishing a 5 day trip to Miami Beach without a rental car. In my mind it didn't make sense to rent a $40 car just to park it at a hotel for $35 a day. That's a lot of Lyft, plus no parking stress/cost at our destinations. We went to Everglades NP today so I rented an Enterprise car for the day for a whopping $35. Picked it up at 9:30 and I'm turning it in this evening.

Sometimes I feel a little bad climbing in a Lyft that pulls up past the parked taxis out front, but the service is so much better than the traditional taxis.

Anyway, see you all next week!

-Rob

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Got a toll tag after my first TPF. Works here and Houston and for that big 4 lane free for all that lets me bypass Austin at 80MPH.
For a good reasonably priced homestyle meal I highly recommend Norma's Cafe across Gaylord Parkway and a block or two east. Great pie as well.
Shawn

So my wife has a little box mounted on the windshield which serves for her pass in four states when she drives back home to new york. Can we bring that along and use it in TX? is there some registration process?

We are flying into Austin and spending a few days before Dallas and then back to Austin before we fly out and car rentals are cheap unless they wack you with extra fees.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

So my wife has a little box mounted on the windshield which serves for her pass in four states when she drives back home to new york. Can we bring that along and use it in TX? is there some registration process?
We are flying into Austin and spending a few days before Dallas and then back to Austin before we fly out and car rentals are cheap unless they wack you with extra fees.

Nope, that’s ezpass, not compatible with the system in Texas.

#394 5 years ago

Still looking for a ride back to Austin (south) on Sunday. Just need to be dumped off the I-35 near 6th street exit. I will just have a suitcase. My brother is coming to TPF Friday on his motorcycle.

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Still looking for a ride back to Austin (south) on Sunday. Just need to be dumped off the I-35 near 6th street exit. I will just have a suitcase. My brother is coming to TPF Friday on his motorcycle.

We're only going as far south as Waco on Sunday then finishing the drive on Monday. Sorry. Bound to be someone here who could help out!

Shawn

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You can also see about riding the MegaBus: https://us.megabus.com/route-guides/dallas-to-austin-bus

It’s really inexpensive, has WiFi, and I’m told is actually pretty nice inside.

#397 5 years ago

Ok, I have a question... is this the quietest you have ever seen Pinside be before a show in recent memory? Preperations must have everyone running around like a head-less chicken right about now... Better get the suitecases packed this weekend.

#398 5 years ago

This will be our first time at TPF. I have been to Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown in Colorado. TPF sounds like it is much larger?

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

This will be our first time at TPF. I have been to Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown in Colorado. TPF sounds like it is much larger?

Everything is bigger in Texas......

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from Higloss67:

......HUGE

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.50
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-texas-pinball-festival/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.