IMG_6484 (resized).jpg
DSC02449 (resized).jpg
DSC02509 (resized).jpg
IMG_6478 (resized).jpg
IMG_6476 (resized).jpg
IMG_6485 (resized).jpg
IMG_6486 (resized).jpg
ENE6vZutSbK7OdtSdbGgHQ (resized).jpg
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 21.
#851 5 years ago

On another note, there was a TOM there that I blew up, scored 1.813B on, working 100%... of course I lit and started Grande Finale to simply drain it on ball three... typical.

#852 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

... of course I lit and started Grande Finale to simply drain it on ball three... typical.

ARGH

You gotta love pinball - eh?

#853 5 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I’m pretty sure I saw an earthshaker there... but I don’t think there was a taxi.

There was a Taxi right inside the main entrance, along the wall.

#854 5 years ago

Wow, what a fun TPF experience! Hard to balance meeting people with trying to play as much pinball as possible, but certainly fun to try. Many thanks to all who brought machines, especially whoever brought and kept fixing the Lebowski machine. Had to wait in line 2-3 times as it kept going down just before I got up to it. When I did get a game in, fell in love with it. Really fun machine with great callouts and I am appreciative to the kind soul that shared such a rare beast with everyone.

#855 5 years ago

While it is great to see TPF growing each year, this was by far the least fun experience I have had there in the last 5 years, at least from a playing games perspective. Having to wait in line to play pretty much anything was a bit of a bummer. It was terribly crowded all weekend.

Again, this is great to see and wonderful that pinball is still growing, but from a festival experience it was pretty exhausting fighting the crowds

A bigger space feels appropriate.

#856 5 years ago

I found that the games with no queues were often more fun to play than the latest and greatest whiz bang “get in line“ games everyone was clamoring for. I agree, though, it’s time to find a bigger venue, or really just send the vendors and video games to another room, and have nothing but free play pinball machines in the main room. There was lots of wasted space where more pinball machines could have been set up.

#857 5 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

I found that the games with no queues were often more fun to play than the latest and greatest whiz bang “get in line“ games everyone was clamoring for. I agree, though, it’s time to find a bigger venue, or really just send the vendors and video games to another room, and have nothing but free play pinball machines in the main room. There was lots of wasted space where more pinball machines could have been set up.

It's not like people brought games and were told they couldn't set up. There were several places where there were space next to exhibitors games that more could have been added.

Part of what makes TPF so 'alive' is that it's all together in that big room. Expo used to fully separate freeplay and vendors and it just doesn't have the same feel/vibe.

#858 5 years ago

Good point! I was actually thinking that (how it’s cool to have the vendors and games all in the same space) after I posted. I do think the video games could go somewhere else though, and then there would be plenty of space for pinball. I seem to recall seeing at least one whole empty booth. I wonder what happened there.
The corner of the room where Oktoberfest was set up was way too crowded. Otherwise I thought things worked pretty well.

#859 5 years ago

I believe that the floor setup and layout was based on the machines that were signed up and expected with a bit of extra for last minute additions. It seems like many didn't show as there were a couple places that were a little bare but it's all based on arrival time to setup. I don't think putting the vids in a different room is a viable option. I know most people go for pinball, but vids have a huge following as well and having them there makes for a better show.
At the NW show years ago they had a pinball room and an arcade room. Total disconnect between the 2. They decided to mix them and it made for a better show.
My only complaint this year was the number of machines down. I know things happen but there were many even when the show started. I commend the people who tried to get their games working. I bring one machine every year and play it quite a bit before the show to make sure it's working well. Can't wait for next year!

#860 5 years ago

I did it. 100 selfies with 100 people. I actually went a little over...too many great people in this hobby! Anyway, TPF was great. Here are a bunch of pics crammed all together. Thanks for all who put up with my stupid selfies.

tp1 (resized).jpgtp1 (resized).jpgtpf2 (resized).jpgtpf2 (resized).jpgtpf3 (resized).jpgtpf3 (resized).jpgtpf4 (resized).jpgtpf4 (resized).jpgtpf5 (resized).jpgtpf5 (resized).jpgtpf6 (resized).jpgtpf6 (resized).jpgtpf7 (resized).jpgtpf7 (resized).jpg
#861 5 years ago

Vids can go. This is a pinball show, not a retro barcade.

#862 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I did it. 100 selfies with 100 people. I actually went a little over...too many great people in this hobby! Anyway, TPF was great. Here are a bunch of pics crammed all together. Thanks for all who put up with my stupid selfies.

Ahh! My eyes! Over 100+ faces of people you recognize standing next to a face we can’t for some reason seem to forget... why is that?

And yet not one picture with me Hope to see you at my next big show (zapcon yay! Our Hometown show, CAX, and Expo)

#863 5 years ago

I would have liked to see most of the vendors in another room, just because of the noise. As attendees we can come and go to take a break from the noise. A lot harder for the vendors to do. And there were a number of vendors/booths I would have liked to spend more time at but many times it was just too hard to hear.

I’m sure there are pros/cons to the combined vs. separated approach and don’t really know what would be best. I thought TPF was set up well and fairly easy to navigate (except the American Pinball area).

#864 5 years ago

Huge thanks to Ed and Kim for another great TPF!

Thanks also to everybody who came by the Multimorphic booth to check out all things P3. I would put money on the fact that more people smiled and celebrated while playing the P3 than people playing all other new machines combined. As mentioned in my seminar, so far haven't yet participated in the battle for the most popular theme. Instead we're introducing tons of gameplay and platform innovations and focusing on making games that are fun to play. In the booth this year were 4-way linked Cosmic Cart Racing, Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From earth, Grand Slam Rally, and Cannon Lagoon, and we periodically switched the standalone games over to Heads Up, Hoopin' It Up, ROCs, and Barnyard.

4-Player simultaneous play on Cosmic Cart Racing was a HUGE hit, and after the first-ever (outside of our office) 4-way linked pinball game hilariously tripped a power strip circuit breaker when all 4 ramp magnets staged the ball (quickly and permanently remedied), group after group enjoyed racing against each other throughout the show. We have a couple of tweaks to make to add more on-screen shot indicators and to bulletproof the linking algorithm, but this event was a big validation of our efforts to bring 4-way multi-machine gaming to pinball. It was fun watching kids line up on the machines and then tell their parents how to play better. We also loved (and appreciated) people bringing their friends by the booth and explaining how the P3 is different, provides so many different games and gameplay configurations, and delivers a totally different value proposition to machine owners. Big thanks to P3 owners Thomas, Brian, Bill, and David for hanging out and helping explain the system to others. Our one-machine / many-games story continues to improve.

A few things we announced at the show...

* We recently moved into a new manufacturing space to grow our manufacturing volumes and meet increasing demand for the P3

* Earlier this year we filled all CCR pre-orders and now build games/machine to order. In other words, we fulfilled all promises, and we did it with zero drama! We're plowing through new orders (for both machines and playfields) with 1-2 week lead times.

* Our 4th game kit is in dev now. It will be a traditional pinball game, and it'll include much requested interactive mechanical features lower on the P3's playfield.

Thanks again for supporting our efforts. We've been at it for a handful of years now, but our journey is just getting started.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

2019-03-22 15.45.15 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 15.45.15 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 16.51.19 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 16.51.19 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 19.10.22 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 19.10.22 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 20.39.40 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 20.39.40 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 22.57.14 (resized).jpg2019-03-22 22.57.14 (resized).jpg
#865 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I would have liked to see most of the vendors in another room, just because of the noise. As attendees we can come and go to take a break from the noise. A lot harder for the vendors to do. And there were a number of vendors/booths I would have liked to spend more time at but many times it was just too hard to hear.
I’m sure there are pros/cons to the combined vs. separated approach and don’t really know what would be best. I thought TPF was set up well and fairly easy to navigate (except the American Pinball area).

As a vendor, we don’t want people leaving the room or to be isolated from the rest of the show. We much prefer everything in a single room. It wasnt too loud where we were and I was able to sneak off every now and then to play a few games while my better half managed the booth.

It was one of our best shows ever, paying the price for that today.

Was nice to see our customers, meet new people and put faces to pinside names. Loved every minute of it, even at 12:45 am Saturday morning manning the booth until the close at 1am. That was a 19 hour day for us.

#866 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

That was a 19 hour day for us.

#867 5 years ago

Butch Patrick playing Munsters. Pat Priest played another game a little earlier, but I was talking, not taking pics.

51CA5A32-15C5-4ADE-AB69-03B1912F84CE (resized).jpeg51CA5A32-15C5-4ADE-AB69-03B1912F84CE (resized).jpeg
#868 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Butch Patrick playing Munsters. Pat Priest played another game a little earlier, but I was talking, not taking pics.[quoted image]

Ok, this has to be the most surreal photo from TPF... a man who played a Munster playing a Munsters

#869 5 years ago

I like the set up with pinballs/arcades/vendors sprinkled throughout. The area in the corner with all the JJP pinballs was super tight and crowded on Sunday morning, so I couldn’t imagine what Friday and Saturday was like.

#870 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, this has to be the most surreal photo from TPF... a man who played a Munster playing a Munsters

Like the guy who played Gimli playing LotR.

It was a great show, however it was a bit disappointing on not enough new games to play and it was crowded. Munsters and Oktoberfest were it really. Hopefully next year we will see more new machines. Not a single machine for sale that I was looking for. Was a bit bummed on that.

The highlight of the fest was drinking with friends, playing beautiful games, and the TWIPY awards. Zach and Greg did an awesome job and it was great fun. Boo Boy tried to ruin a portion of it, but a friend confronted him and found out that Kaneda had pushed his girlfriend earlier this year simply because she was in his way and then ruined their event. Can't fault the guy on the hate, but he went about things all wrong. He admitted his mistake and said he'd do better in the future.

Met Jersey Jack and Eric Meunier. My wife went fangirl on Jack and was let down. Despite us letting him know we collect his machines and love his work, he pretty much blew us off to go schmooze this couple wearing crazy expensive clothes and new to pinball within 10 seconds flat. I don't really know what I expected, but it was blatant and off putting. Eric on the other hand was much more friendly and charming in person than I thought he'd be from his stream videos. He was not only delighted that we love his game so much, but had us go into detail on any problems we had with it. I look forward to seeing him again next year.

My wife got a big crush on Zach from STDM and switched allegiances from team Greg to Zach. She had to sit in the front row for the TWIPYs. Once again, great show on the TWIPYs. Couldn't tell if Franchie was serious or not in stomping on Yeti's trophy, but saw him laughing after he left the stage so must have been a joke. Was a little awkward though.

Jack Danger is a hell of a fun guy. I can see why my friends get excited when he comes around. Very loose and friendly with everyone, doesn't seem to take anything seriously which is great in a festival. The party just kind of went wherever Jack went.

Found out that World Cup Soccer is definitely our next machine. Putting out the feelers for the Texas/Louisiana area.....

#871 5 years ago

Along with having a great show for the 8th year in a row, I really appreciate the many collectors and vendors who took the time to come to Texas. I can't name them all, but I can thank them all! All of you are appreciated.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

Here are a few pictures I snapped along the way of games that I kept going back to play.

g1 (resized).jpgg1 (resized).jpgg2 (resized).jpgg2 (resized).jpgg3 (resized).jpgg3 (resized).jpgga1 (resized).jpgga1 (resized).jpgjp1 (resized).jpgjp1 (resized).jpgmb1 (resized).jpgmb1 (resized).jpgmb2 (resized).jpgmb2 (resized).jpgmb3 (resized).jpgmb3 (resized).jpgtz1 (resized).jpgtz1 (resized).jpg
#872 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Very cool! Index please? (I recognize less than half of those folks)

You're not helping to dispel the general assertion that people from Utah don't smile either Jeff.

#873 5 years ago

1st time, great show! Frankly, I think they need a bigger space next year! Blows Expo out of the water!

#874 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

You're not helping to dispel the general assertion that people from Utah don't smile either Jeff.

Everyone else does, I just generally don't...

#875 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Met Jersey Jack and Eric Meunier. My wife went fangirl on Jack and was let down. Despite us letting him know we collect his machines and love his work, he pretty much blew us off to go schmooze this couple wearing crazy expensive clothes and new to pinball within 10 seconds flat. I don't really know what I expected, but it was blatant and off putting....

I had almost the same exact thing happen to me. Jack was actually manning someone else booth when I walked by. I started to talk to him and tell him how I had a WOZ and how much I enjoyed it. Right in the middle of me talking to him he picked up his phone and started to text someone and looked the other way. Not cool. I just walked off...No reason to treat your customers that way.

#876 5 years ago

I think the place is big enough, but the layout of the room needs to be looked at and they need to have the event planning team design a layout based more on a tiered space utilization and sponsorship program imo. When a large event like this is planned, most of the time space is allocated and reserved on the first come, first reserved basis, with vendors and exhibitors estimating and buying what space they need. This makes for a very fragmented and sometimes cramped experience. The solution for shows like this is a shift from the first come/first served model to a totally centrally planned experience, with a total space design package, with a professional who looks at a vendor’s exhibits and determines if it will fit in the space they are requesting. A lot can be determined from picures of this years Festival, then use that to evaluate best untilization of space. Now, instead of waiting for tennants to sign up, you send out a Floor Space Sales rep who “visits” each vendor/exhibitor and actively sells them their location on the floor, making recommendations based on floor traffic, sales, bottlenecks (yes, a vendor may want a bottleneck to make people stop and watch the exhibit) and the like. There are companies that do this, and it is their sole purpose to maximize the customer experience for all clients.

Not sure pinball will rise to that level of need, but we can hope and dream it someday will. As far as this festival was concerned, and all the past Expo’s I have attended as contrast, the only thing different between them is the focus on the industry (Expos of the past) or the hobby (TPF’s in the past) but the retro arcade vibe is starting to permeate the entire hobby and industry. I think we will see all of them join retro forces between vids, pinball, and consoles going forward eventually and I do not fear this in the least.

#877 5 years ago

Also, it seems like a quarter of the space is dedicated to Virtual Pinball machines, arcades, and a car.....

#878 5 years ago

Also, it seems like a quarter of the space is dedicated to Virtual Pinball machines, arcades, and a car.....

You can't tell me you didn't like the cars.

IMG-20190323-WA0006 (resized).jpegIMG-20190323-WA0006 (resized).jpegIMG-20190323-WA0008 (resized).jpegIMG-20190323-WA0008 (resized).jpegIMG-20190323-WA0020 (resized).jpegIMG-20190323-WA0020 (resized).jpeg
#879 5 years ago

Oh yeah, they're cool, but do they need to be on the main floor taking up all the pinball space when it's crowded in there? And how is it that JJ warrants a third of the space of that big tent with virtual pins under it?

#880 5 years ago

It was pretty cool seeing a Delorean again. When I was a kid we had a neighbor/friend - a doctor - who bought one and we were all amazed.

Of course, just like this one, I'm pretty sure I never saw it move. It was in the shop 30 times in two years I was told by my older sister.

#881 5 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I had almost the same exact thing happen to me. Jack was actually manning someone else booth when I walked by. I started to talk to him and tell him how I had a WOZ and how much I enjoyed it. Right in the middle of me talking to him he picked up his phone and started to text someone and looked the other way. Not cool. I just walked off...No reason to treat your customers that way.

I have met Jack on several occasions. This is just Jack being Jack, as far as I can tell, the man never stops more than 5 seconds, because by second 6 he has moved on already to the next thing. I haven’t figured out if it’s just a Jersey thing, but what ever you do, get whatever you are going to say out in the first 5 seconds, and it helps if you reach out to shake his hand first, that is the best way to start a conversation with him. And remember, its more about what he is doing for you lately that gets him started, and it is harder to check your phone or dial with my fat fist in his hand.

For example, I put out my hand and said “Jack, great call on WOZ YBR, that baby is stunning, long time fans, glad to meet you again, and we’re glad you keep building us great pinball.” Now, he may just shake your hand and thank you and say nothing else, or pick up his phone, or look at the squirrel... or he may talk your ear off about the YBR edition, but I respect his time and don’t mind when he is short or seemingly rude, that is not really what drives it. He barely heard the word “stunning” and had let go and was moving on. That is just Jack being a businessman first, warm wonderful person second, because even at events where he is near fans, he is working every minute he is at the show.

#882 5 years ago

And how is it that JJ warrants a third of the space of that big tent with virtual pins under it

I suspect he pays big money for the space just as all vendors have to pay $ for booth space. More space, more $.

#883 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I have met Jack on several occasions. This is just Jack being Jack, as far as I can tell, the man never stops more than 5 seconds, because by second 6 he has moved on already to the next thing. I haven’t figured out if it’s just a Jersey thing, but what ever you do, get whatever you are going to say out in the first 5 seconds, and it helps if you reach out to shake his hand first, that is the best way to start a conversation with him. And remember, its more about what he is doing for you lately that gets him started, and it is harder to check your phone or dial with my fat fist in his hand.
For example, I put out my hand and said “Jack, great call on WOZ YBR, that baby is stunning, long time fans, glad to meet you again, and we ar glad you keep building us great pinball.” Now, he may just shake your hand and thank you and say nothing else, or pick up his phone, or look at the squirrel... or he may talk your ear off about the YBR edition, but I respect his time and don’t mind when he is short or seemingly rude, that is not really what drives it. He barely heard the word “stunning” and had let go and was moving on. That is just Jack being a businessman first, warm wonderful person second, because even at events where he is near fans, he is working every minute he is at the show.

I'd be more on board with that if he hadn't spent 20 minutes schmoozing that rich couple who were obviously first time pinballers.

To be clear, I don't really care. It was my fangirl wife who was put off by it.

#884 5 years ago

I'd be more on board with that if he hadn't spent 20 minutes schmoozing that rich couple who were obviously first time pinballers.

Might have been Bill Brandes, and then you're way off.

#885 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

For example, I put out my hand and said “Jack, great call on WOZ YBR, that baby is stunning, long time fans, glad to meet you again, and we’re glad you keep building us great pinball.” Now, he may just shake your hand and thank you and say nothing else, or pick up his phone, or look at the squirrel... or he may talk your ear off about the YBR edition, but I respect his time and don’t mind when he is short or seemingly rude, that is not really what drives it. He barely heard the word “stunning” and had let go and was moving on. That is just Jack being a businessman first, warm wonderful person second, because even at events where he is near fans, he is working every minute he is at the show.

Understood, I have meet Jack several times before and he was friendly..this time was different. It is still NOT an excuse to treat someone that has supported you over the years. I'm not asking him for a dinner date or a drink with the buds I was just trying to make conversation with him when he was just sitting there doing nothing..literally. Maybe he was pissed that his YBR reveal did not go as expected?

#886 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Might have been Bill Brandes, and then you're way off.

No idea who that is. To be fair there, it was only his girl I saw flipping. So I take back that they were both new. He might be a collector for all I know.
>>Googling said guy>>
Yeah, that was him.

#887 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Huge thanks to Ed and Kim for another great TPF!
Thanks also to everybody who came by the Multimorphic booth to check out all things P3. I would put money on the fact that more people smiled and celebrated while playing the P3 than people playing all other new machines combined. As mentioned in my seminar, so far haven't yet participated in the battle for the most popular theme. Instead we're introducing tons of gameplay and platform innovations and focusing on making games that are fun to play. In the booth this year were 4-way linked Cosmic Cart Racing, Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From earth, Grand Slam Rally, and Cannon Lagoon, and we periodically switched the standalone games over to Heads Up, Hoopin' It Up, ROCs, and Barnyard.
4-Player simultaneous play on Cosmic Cart Racing was a HUGE hit, and after the first-ever (outside of our office) 4-way linked pinball game hilariously tripped a power strip circuit breaker when all 4 ramp magnets staged the ball (quickly and permanently remedied), group after group enjoyed racing against each other throughout the show. We have a couple of tweaks to make to add more on-screen shot indicators and to bulletproof the linking algorithm, but this event was a big validation of our efforts to bring 4-way multi-machine gaming to pinball. It was fun watching kids line up on the machines and then tell their parents how to play better. We also loved (and appreciated) people bringing their friends by the booth and explaining how the P3 is different, provides so many different games and gameplay configurations, and delivers a totally different value proposition to machine owners. Big thanks to P3 owners Thomas, Brian, Bill, and David for hanging out and helping explain the system to others. Our one-machine / many-games story continues to improve.
A few things we announced at the show...
* We recently moved into a new manufacturing space to grow our manufacturing volumes and meet increasing demand for the P3
* Earlier this year we filled all CCR pre-orders and now build games/machine to order. In other words, we fulfilled all promises, and we did it with zero drama! We're plowing through new orders (for both machines and playfields) with 1-2 week lead times.
* Our 4th game kit is in dev now. It will be a traditional pinball game, and it'll include much requested interactive mechanical features lower on the P3's playfield.
Thanks again for supporting our efforts. We've been at it for a handful of years now, but our journey is just getting started.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

And thanks again for doing the awesome $25 a sheet for regular playfield glass again.
All 4 sheets made the 300 mile trip back home safely.
All of my crappy glass EM and solid state games thank you as well.

#888 5 years ago

Yeah, that was him.

Same guy who ripped the cover off YBR during JJP's "seminar" ... he was there with his girlfriend/wife, so yes.

#889 5 years ago

So there I was at the Texas Pinball Festival. Chicago Gaming sent me there to help with the 17 remakes in their area. Not much to do. Check two switch errors that the new players failed to hit and one stuck ball and one stuck switch. Not bad for three days of heavy play. CGC knocked these out of the park for looks, fun, and quality. Then the American Pinball Octoberfest was there, I forget how many games were there, some were production models that are rolling down the line now. The game is a lot of fun. Then to the other company I do tech support for, Jersey Jack PInball. Christopher Meunier from Kingpin Games had an amazing display of the lines he carries and the JJP games. Including the new Yellow Brick Road edition of Wizard Of Oz. The yellow rails, lockdown bar, accents on the wood apron, and yellow brick road on the playfield, have subtle tiny sparkles in them. You really need to see it in person to appreciate it. And didn't see many issues with the JJP games, I offered help if needed, but the few things that popped up Chris was on instantly. He also made the racking/cameras/LCD screen set up to show off the games. He made an amazing display for the festival attendees. Chris is one of the dedicated distributors that is there before, during, and after the sale, check him out for your game purchases ( 608-522-5001 ). So not much for me to do. I was in early and cleaned off the playfield glasses for CGC, AP ( I don't work for AP, but they have loaned me tools and parts in the past, so I clean their playfield glasses if I beat them in ), and JJP, and every 15 minutes or so checked the CGC area. And as always met many old friends, many new friends, and many of the people I've Mugged or helped through the years. Thank you Ed and staff for another great Texas Pinball Festival ! And thank you CGC for sending me ! I had a great time there. LTG : )

APOct (resized).JPGAPOct (resized).JPGCGCTPF (resized).JPGCGCTPF (resized).JPGCGCTPF2 (resized).JPGCGCTPF2 (resized).JPGKPgames (resized).JPGKPgames (resized).JPGkpgames2 (resized).JPGkpgames2 (resized).JPG
#890 5 years ago

It was my fangirl wife who was put off by it.

When I first went to Pin Expo in 91 with my wife as a new pinball couple, this was almost everyone you talked to in the industry. Very short, direct, and somewhat baffled and slightly amused that someone was actually interested in their work. To some of the old timers, this was a job, not being a rock star. It was like as if suddenly an accountant had people walking around asking him for his signature for keeping the company books straight. They just didn’t get the passion. After our disappointment (of meeting industry insiders) of that Expo wore off, and we went the next year, and we had a better understanding of the industry, and so we backed off the fanantical aspect of it and took a more “appreciative player” attitude, and we have pretty much kept that vibe in our hearts ever since. So we are surprised when we have met people like Eric, or Python, or Barry Oursler after talking with him over the years, he likes to talk about his games. This has made pinball a much more enjoyable experience for us.

#891 5 years ago

Definitely need to move the tournament back to the main room. No question.

The new set up was...tight. Way too crowded and no exposure to random people coming to the festival. We had a nice crowd watching the finals, but it would have been great for others to see the enthusiasm for top tier competitive play. Also, makes it harder for players to explore the show while waiting in line to play their next game.

#892 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Definitely need to move the tournament back to the main room. No question.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I really enjoyed the extra space on the main floor made by moving the tournament out. I'm hoping they take it a step further next year and move the seminar room; making an even bigger main floor space for vendors and games.

#893 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I'll have to respectfully disagree. I really enjoyed the extra space on the main floor made by moving the tournament out. I'm hoping they take it a step further next year and move the seminar room; making an even bigger main floor space for vendors and games.

The problem with moving the seminars is that there aren’t any other rooms that big in the facility. There are other rooms, but they’re all significantly smaller.

#894 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

As a vendor, we don’t want people leaving the room or to be isolated from the rest of the show. We much prefer everything in a single room. It wasnt too loud where we were and I was able to sneak off every now and then to play a few games while my better half managed the booth.

It was one of our best shows ever, paying the price for that today.

Was nice to see our customers, meet new people and put faces to pinside names. Loved every minute of it, even at 12:45 am Saturday morning manning the booth until the close at 1am. That was a 19 hour day for us.

Agree 100%. I too want to be part of the show; not a sideshow. I was able to enjoy many of the games near my booth and, as an earlier pic showed got an early game or three on Oktoberfest Sunday morning.

You guys stayed open till 1 am? Wow - I closed around 11 and played on the floor for about an hour before punching out. I had traveled early Friday morning from DC to get there in time to set up - reached my booth around 3:00 pm and was ready for opening at 5:00 although my first sale was for a resetting WCS around 4:30. My last sale was on Sunday about an hour after the show ended to a vendor who had also worked all weekend but wanted to catch me before I headed home. Thanks to all who stopped by with success stories or who checked out my products for the first time!

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED Display Boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#895 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Have you been to previous TPF's? This "extra room" you speak of is minimal. As others have mentioned in this thread, there was extra space on the main floor that was not being utilized. It's a problem with layout. Not size.

#896 5 years ago

So of course a big thanks to the organizers, volunteers, and all those that brought games. The show is nothing without the games. I have watched TPF grow and move venues over the years. The show has always been great but this year seems the biggest. The main floor was EXTREMELY crowded. Lines for almost every game so had to wait to play which is not a complaint...that means lots of people playing games. But moving around in there was a PAIN IN THE ASS. People constantly blocking aisles....and a NO PETS policy should be put in place on the main floor. It was crowded enough with all the people but now I have to watch out to not step on a dog, dogs in strollers taking up more space.....keep your pets in the room. They have NO business inside the event. Space management should be looked at...mostly to keep aisles clear so people can move around.

I think moving the tournament games out of the main room was good....less distraction for the tourney players and it keeps people from walking up to play on the tournament games.

The organizers are good people and work hard to make it an enjoyable experience. I am sure they know what worked and what didn’t and will work to make improvements where they can to make it the best show possible.

Overall if the worst part of the show was it being a little over crowed then this was another great show.

#897 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Also, I bet 95% of people at the show had no idea a tournament was happening. That is a problem.

The organizers of the show, the tournament directors, volunteers, and techs put so much hard work into running one of the best tournaments in the world at TPF. Top players from around the world come for the tournament. And it was hidden from the general public.

The #1 player in the world won the tournament in one of the most exciting finishes I have seen live. I hate that people missed out on that.

We always try to find ways to promote competitive pinball and get people excited/interested in it. Every TPF prior I have had multiple people come up to me and ask "what is going on here, is this a pinball tournament?" as they walk through the door and see a large group of people cheering and watching the finals on a projector. This was the opposite of promotion. It needs to change. Period.

#898 5 years ago

How much more promotion does the tourney need it sold out immediately.....so those that want to play already know about the tournament.....unless you add more games and increase the size of the tournament I am not sure what else you do. And with only 2-2.5 days you have make sure there is time finish and it not run late.

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

How much more promotion does the tourney need it sold out immediately.....so those that want to play already know about the tournament.....unless you add more games and increase the size of the tournament I am not sure what else you do. And with only 2-2.5 days you have make sure there is time finish and it not run late.

You're missing the point. It's not about promoting the tournament to get more people to play in it. Also, there was a side tournament that anyone could play in, no limit of players.

Anyway, I realize this site is geared more to the collector crowd and not the competitive scene so I'll move on from the tourney talk.

Thanks to all the organizers, tourney crew, volunteers, and exhibitors. It was a blast as always and I'm already looking forward to next year.

#900 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Also, I bet 95% of people at the show had no idea a tournament was happening. That is a problem.
The organizers of the show, the tournament directors, volunteers, and techs put so much hard work into running one of the best tournaments in the world at TPF. Top players from around the world come for the tournament. And it was hidden from the general public.
The #1 player in the world won the tournament in one of the most exciting finishes I have seen live. I hate that people missed out on that.
We always try to find ways to promote competitive pinball and get people excited/interested in it. Every TPF prior I have had multiple people come up to me and ask "what is going on here, is this a pinball tournament?" as they walk through the door and see a large group of people cheering and watching the finals on a projector. This was the opposite of promotion. It needs to change. Period.

I would
Agree that it’s better for the tournament to be in the big room. Great tournament but that’s the change I’d make.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-texas-pinball-festival/page/18?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.