Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,254 posts
  • 276 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164111 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164102 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164048 (resized).jpg
    20180414_000905 (resized).jpg
    20191029_170103 (resized).jpg
    hodown2 (resized).jpg
    a15d345 (resized).jpg
    tony2 (resized).jpg
    D87C08F2-D08C-47B5-A8A2-EB60699D9479 (resized).jpeg
    20191019_134053 (resized).jpg
    virgil_vigil.jpg
    coin (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craigc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#277 4 years ago

It's about the same "pinball size" as MGC. I think overall MGC has more community and home brew support which ends up with some really cool things showing up. Expo has more pinball related seminars.

Marco and Stern are back this year, but head over to pinballlife to see the spooky stuff.

-c

#282 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Honestly I think this years mgc had more pins than last yrs expo. With the Marco games that were bought for sure. Although last yr expo there were more pins in the vendor area than previous expos which helped a lot. The free play room at expo though has been.....quiet. Look up pinball expo Chicago 2018 on YouTube, there are several good walkthroughs. Judge for yourself.
    Where expo beats mgc is in the vendor hall, as far as pin related merchandise. At expo it’s 95% pin stuff, and a lot of it. At mgc is maybe 5% pin stuff and it’s random. So expo is worth it for me in that respect alone. I always goto both, and enjoy both for different reasons.

I believe marco and Stern will be at expo this year and some rare games should round out the show. Last year was somewhat transitional...

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

when did they stop selling pre-registration tickets - I got hit by this last year and again this year? shows still weeks away so seems strange to stop selling them so early?
    Neil.

Just bring a game and skip the tickets entirely. I think this is the most not-communicated part of expo. I know it's a hassle, but free admission and more free play access.

#296 4 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

What's the point of the game hall being open all night if you can't drink and play?!

Pro-tip: Revolution brewing cans look like an ice tea or go with a beer coozie. Get a cooler that looks like a tool bag and jam it under a game.

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

MGC had approx 50 more games last year based on actual numbers. Also expo has notoriously been poor quality, non working, and turned off. At least outside of the 50 or so collector games that are brought which are super sweet
    Sounds like Expo may be stepping it up this year to get more? Fingers crossed

Things are changing a bit this year to move out or not set up games that have no chance of running during registration. Effort is going toward game management and repairs to hopefully make this a lot better.

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

It’s not terribly practical to bring a game if you live overseas ...

Agreed! But if you're local-ish, why not?

I always forget to look at the country circle

-c

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from marcand:

I'm late to this thread, but I am coming to town on Friday late morning and leaving Saturday after 8pm. If I bring a game, it is too late in the convention to get a pass for the event? I usually bring game(s) to Pinball at the Zoo so this would be a first time bringing one to Expo

Not too late! Just bring your game to the loading dock (to the left of the hotel) up the ramp and through the dock doors. There is a room there for registration. You will get an arm band to use while your game is there.

There will be people to lend you a hand and tell you where to go.

#303 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I would not see why it would, but space maybe short

I have never seen games turned away, even when John Petersen brought 50 EM games we set games up in the hall. This year with better dead game management, we hope to keep the free play room on point.

#305 4 years ago

Thursday, no problem. Friday, I'm not sure. I would confirm with Andrew and Rob A if that is ok to make sure you can get out. Find us on Thursday and we can make sure you will be fine for Friday load out before you bring it in.

I would Think the best plan would be to leave it in the game hall and make sure we can get you access Friday morning (ping APB).

That's a neat game so would be great to get it on the floor.

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I knew you were a Redline rider! Another reason we get along!

Confirmed you can get out from the game hall Friday AM, no issues. Thanks for bringing a game! See you Thursday for your wrist band.

#312 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

Last year it was too bright in the freeplay area most of the time. Can we get it this year where they turn off all the can lights and only have the big paper chandlers and wall sconces on? If that ends up being too dark bring the cans up slightly. The can lights are responsible for most of the glare on the glass.

Sure, you can always reach out to anyone staffing the free play room. Sometimes people are running around not fighting glare, so just grab someone and ask . Input is appreciated and I will try to remember.

#351 4 years ago

Still looking for free play staff. if anyone wants to help direct game volunteers where to go, help coordinate stretch wrap removal and leg bolt insertions, that will help make the show better for everyone.

You will look fabulous in a fancy free t-Shirt with your free admission and rife with the definitive first hand knowledge of will what game fit in what car you can now lord over all pinball fandom.

there's a sign up sheet available as part of this thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/expo-2019-free-play-area-looking-for-expo-staff#post-5242611

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0a4aaeae23a5f94-pinball1

2 weeks later
    #1047 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Was this thing ever turned on? I walked by it a lot and never saw it on. Looked like lots of fun.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It was really loud and the hotel didn’t like the compressor in the hall or by the door. With a quieter compressor it would have been a fun experience.

#1117 4 years ago

One big open space like MGC would keep people moving around, but then people would need to give up the 24 hour free play situation. I'm generally a junk Scrounger so most of what was for sale was not for me. The only stuff I bought was pre arranged junk, stuff from James, and posters from Logan.

maybe Rob can bring some parts games too cannibalize next year

With the truck parking barricaded off in the parking lot it sucked up a lot of the open spaces. I made my own, but maybe we can move empty semis to the overflow lot.

1 week later
    #1252 4 years ago

The layout of the vendor hall could use some tweaking. It might be better to feature the home brew AP and jjp games in the middle to get circulation/flow happening.

if expo continues to grow, an open space like MGC could help all these problems. This would probably mean the end of 48 hours of pinball, but I'm too old for that anyway.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider craigc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-pinball-expo-thread?tu=craigc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.