Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,254 posts
  • 276 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164111 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164102 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164048 (resized).jpg
    20180414_000905 (resized).jpg
    20191029_170103 (resized).jpg
    hodown2 (resized).jpg
    a15d345 (resized).jpg
    tony2 (resized).jpg
    D87C08F2-D08C-47B5-A8A2-EB60699D9479 (resized).jpeg
    20191019_134053 (resized).jpg
    virgil_vigil.jpg
    coin (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phat_Jay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

We gonna do another jdrf fundraiser at superdawg again? Hope so, nothin like stuffn Chicago dogs and helpn kids out at the same time. Whatever I can do count me in.

2 weeks later
    #33 4 years ago

So little time to start saving up the shekels. We’ll be there!

2 weeks later
    #81 4 years ago

Is galloping ghost going to have a room again with their machines? I thought that went over well and gave families another option. Also took some pressure off the pin room. Hopefully we see a reveal. Although last couple yrs it seems mgc is becoming more of a location for that. I personally would like to see both succeed and grow. Theyre both in driving range for me and being six months apart is ideal.

#84 4 years ago

Anybody got any good crt’s for sale they can bring? G07, 4900, 4600, 7000?...... wouldn’t hurt to pick up a g05 or 6100 either....

1 week later
    #170 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkfanz:

Does anyone bring their kids to Expo? I live pretty close and my 9 year old son and I have gotten into pinball together. Would love to pop in for a few hours Saturday but not sure if it's ok for kids. Probably going to leave the 3 and 6 year olds at home!

Definitely bring him, my boys always enjoy expo. There aren’t many kids, but they get lotsa attention.

A26E1014-7007-4E9A-97A8-BF1D94AD44F7 (resized).jpegA26E1014-7007-4E9A-97A8-BF1D94AD44F7 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #278 4 years ago

Honestly I think this years mgc had more pins than last yrs expo. With the Marco games that were bought for sure. Although last yr expo there were more pins in the vendor area than previous expos which helped a lot. The free play room at expo though has been.....quiet. Look up pinball expo Chicago 2018 on YouTube, there are several good walkthroughs. Judge for yourself.
    Where expo beats mgc is in the vendor hall, as far as pin related merchandise. At expo it’s 95% pin stuff, and a lot of it. At mgc is maybe 5% pin stuff and it’s random. So expo is worth it for me in that respect alone. I always goto both, and enjoy both for different reasons.

#281 4 years ago

Last year doc Mac from galloping ghost brought prob 50 arcades. That’s a guess tho, they had their own room down the hall. Lots of rare cool stuff in the lot. Before he started coming their might be 10 arcades in the free play room. I believe he’ll be there again. I’m a supporter of bringing arcades to a pinball show, it increases the odds of families coming. Dad may be a pinhead, but kids may prefer vids. This way dad gets to come, enjoy his pins, and kids leave him alone playing their vids. Win win. Plus show makes more money for next yr, win win win.
    It also exposes more people who haven’t played pins to them. There are people who like both vids and pins, but there are definite cliques, this way it can bring the two together. Which means bigger shows, bigger names, bigger draws.

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I believe marco and Stern will be at expo this year and some rare games should round out the show. Last year was somewhat transitional...

Im really looking forward to this yr! I think youre right on about last yr in transition.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I am a vendor at both and contribute as much as I can to both as I like all pinball shows.
    As for NIB games, MGC blows expo out of the water. We had over 60 NIB games that we opened up for our booth, and Marco had around 50. Compare that to expo and they are not in the same league. Trent will have 6-10 NIB show games available in the tournament area. CGC will have a 1/2 dozen games that are not for sale. I will be setting up some CGC games that are presold (4). Then JJP will have something im assuming, but havent heard of any show prices, so I dont think they are selling anything. American pinball will havea few of each model for sale, and Spooky does not come to expo. So only maybe a dozen - twenty NIB games will be sold. so very Big difference
    Used game, freeplay area. They are very comparable in numbers, and honestly, in quality to. Both shows have assholes that bring a non-working game in to get the free passes. But generally, most people bring in decent stuff. And regardless, you will have assholes bitch about it even though they didn't bring a game at all. Im constantly checking my games to make sure they are fine, and ifthey go down, I get them working right away myself, and if I cant figure it out, I get Gavin or Rob to get it up. Last year I had a coil stick on my Totan, from the time I got the text to the time it was done and playing again, it was 30 minutes, yet some ass still managed to bitch about it being down that long. If I knew what the guy looked like, id go shut off all the machines I brought if he walked up to them, and last year I had a whole row of 12 games. screw idiots like that

Your totan was awesome! I mean seriously, played like a dream. Thank you for bringing it, it was my fav at the show. My son even said “ I never got this game, until now,.....I really like it now”

1 week later
    #353 4 years ago
    227BE826-9DE8-4F18-8C99-5C9BF0AFA6B6 (resized).jpeg227BE826-9DE8-4F18-8C99-5C9BF0AFA6B6 (resized).jpeg
    #357 4 years ago

Superdawg is a expo tradition for us!

#367 4 years ago

Just cancelled my Westin reservations, staying at Hawthorn now. Why spend $450 when you can pay $120 and get free breakfast. Westin needs to rethink their rates.

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How do you get to the show from Hawthorn?
    Edit. Never mind I found it. For those wondering, the Hawthron is about 3.2 miles from the show.

It’s not super close, I have my vehicle so it’s not a prob but it’s beyond walking distance. So Uber, taxi, or buy a bike at goodwill or something. Obviously, that money would offset the savings so....it’s for those with a car, or know someone with a car. My whole family is going so my car will be full. There are lots of hotels in the area for 60-100/night though. At Westin’s 150, it’s definitely a premium, and no free breakfast. I’ve had good luck at holiday inn express which is just down street, although still prob too far to walk, but you do get a hot breakfast.

#372 4 years ago

The biggest advantage to staying on site obviously is you have a private bathroom, and maybe being able to park once and not worry about finding a spot. I remember a yr when they booked a couple weddings the same weekend as expo....that was a disaster for parking.

#376 4 years ago

Yes, obviously if you want to drink then the Westin is your best choice. I’m a non-drinker so that never registered in my thought process. I’m just no fun

Hawthorn is showing 68/night on Expedia right now. I booked at 40/night. That’s basically a free color dmd not stay at Westin.....or I can gorge myself at superdawg with proceeds to jdrf.

#378 4 years ago

I think it is closer!

Oh man, I can taste it already.... I miss that place.

#414 4 years ago
    B3F71013-3327-4839-83DF-7DE44C9D4B4C (resized).jpegB3F71013-3327-4839-83DF-7DE44C9D4B4C (resized).jpeg
    #415 4 years ago
    93AA8C60-2B5A-44DF-9C3D-A58B9CAD6D55 (resized).jpeg93AA8C60-2B5A-44DF-9C3D-A58B9CAD6D55 (resized).jpeg
    #418 4 years ago

2019 expo gonna be...

42598DD5-3098-4338-83EE-43367AC8FAFE (resized).jpeg42598DD5-3098-4338-83EE-43367AC8FAFE (resized).jpeg
    #419 4 years ago

Pinside party?

DA970498-DC51-4057-BC12-D6842BC1F158 (resized).jpegDA970498-DC51-4057-BC12-D6842BC1F158 (resized).jpeg
    #421 4 years ago

How bout a donkey?

505A656E-108D-4807-A4B7-5CCF0692A1A4 (resized).jpeg505A656E-108D-4807-A4B7-5CCF0692A1A4 (resized).jpeg
    #473 4 years ago
    1F09B060-FF21-487E-A0CD-D8E743687B25 (resized).png1F09B060-FF21-487E-A0CD-D8E743687B25 (resized).png
    #484 4 years ago

If it helps, I’ll sign autographs for only $25.......

#492 4 years ago
    388A14B8-6254-4F26-8E18-E433B02CC0BD (resized).jpeg388A14B8-6254-4F26-8E18-E433B02CC0BD (resized).jpeg
    #493 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

[quoted image]

And...don’t forget 6 months to mgc!

#498 4 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Where is everybody?![quoted image]

that really is ugly carpet...

#528 4 years ago

New stuff is in vendor hall usually

#551 4 years ago

Unbelievable! What a story! Thank you for having it at expo, can’t wait!

#573 4 years ago

Sign is in spanish. Says “110v machine, skill flight” obviously its a warning to folks in spain that the machine had been converted to us voltage.
    I speak Castilian spanish, whish is somewhat different from latin american spanish. If you see anymore i can translate.

#579 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkfanz:

Thanks! Going to buy now. Happy to see kids under 12 are free. Looking forward to bringing my 9 year old Saturday as we've both really gotten into pinball together recently.

Enjoy your time together, I’ll be there tonight with my boys. Expo and mgc are the two times whole family has fun together.

#735 4 years ago
    2E176C4F-1AFF-4032-9B37-E6EC55C938F4 (resized).jpeg2E176C4F-1AFF-4032-9B37-E6EC55C938F4 (resized).jpeg
    #991 4 years ago

So where’s the expo 2020 thread......

#1026 4 years ago

If more of us brought games, Berk wouldn’t feel the need to fill the room with “place holders”. I realize lots of attendees are from far away and can’t bring a game. And some are physically unable to move their games anymore. But a lot are close enough to do so and haven’t. Asking one guy to bring over 100 games, is a lot to ask of anybody is all I’m saying.

#1033 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Thanks to you and to everyone else who stopped by with nice things to say. This was the first time I've taken the Fun With Pinball exhibit to Expo and wasn't sure what to expect. The response though was pretty enthusiastic including this nugget:
    [quoted image]
    I didn't take any pictures during Expo though so if you took a compelling photo you'd be willing to share please let me know offline.
    /Mark

Please keep doing so, so many kids (and grownups) were amazed at the behind the scenes look. Those wide eyed kids will be tomorrow’s pinball engineers, they are the next generation of pinheads. We need to keep the hobby alive!

#1034 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

very true but this is a for profit show and the incentive needs to line up with the effort for others to bring a game.

Absolutely x 1000.

I’m not privy to the p&l for expo so I have no idea what they can do, But there needs to be more to get the quality games in. Just spit ballin here but what if in addition to the current incentives, they provided a catered lunch each day. Prob only cost $7-8 per owner per day, but stuff like that might tip the scales for some. There aren’t THAT many owners bringing their games. More, higher quality games, will only bring in more people. Would seem like a win-win. Also, what was the cost to ship his games in? Would it have been better and easier for him to increase the rewards for game bringers? Again, would seem like a path of lesser resistance.

#1042 4 years ago

I never saw it on. Did look interesting tho...
    That brand of compressor likes to blow breakers, wonder if that was the problem. I have one, and it’ll pop a 20a breaker by itself if it’s cold out.

#1050 4 years ago

We all had a great time! Got to see all kinds of people near and afar. Stayed at hawthorn down the street and I think we’ll do that again. Saved a ton of money, money that was spent in the vendor hall wanted to buy some chrome candy shooter rods, but they weren’t there. But I did bid on and win 3 in the auction for less than two would’ve cost so I’m quite happy. Some really cool stuff in that auction, a t2 translite that hung in Williams office for instance. Played a lot of pinball, ate at superdawg, met Elvira, talked to Todd, overall a great trip.

Thank you to game bringers, and staff for putting up with us. Everyone was real nice.....

#1083 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They do provide a pretty nice buffet on Thursday right before the vendor hall opens. I didn't partake in it this year since I was meeting some friends for dinner right after, but I recall it being quite tasty last year.

I got there around 9pm on thurs so I missed out on that part.

#1084 4 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

I heard one more year at the Westin before they move the show to a bigger place in Schaumburg.

Hope it’s not Schaumburg, further drive yet

#1119 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yeah, sales were horrible this year. don't know what the deal was. guess bunch of penny pinchers this year at the show! lol!

Was it more no one bought anything, or not enough people bought enough. Anotherwords ticket average or ticket count? I gave both my boys $100 to blow in the vendor room and they did so within 15 minutes on friday. I know my youngest also spent some of his own money as well. I went over budget buying shooter rods, a new pcb, gameroom signs, playfield glass, a shower curtain(!), and various small parts including 15 fuses that my machine went through keeping it running between repairs. We spent way more this year, but i justified it by not staying onsite.

#1203 4 years ago

Banzai run!

#1216 4 years ago

Saw more families again this yr. a number of young kids too. Not long ago it was strictly 40+ men. Good to see ladies and kids taking part.
    I think Groupon helped with that. Be interesting to see the ave redemption count. Was Groupon single use, or was it 3-4 tickets per use.

#1218 4 years ago

We did use the groupon for 3 (had 1 game there)and promptly spent the savings in the vendor hall.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phat_Jay.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-pinball-expo-thread?tu=Phat_Jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.