Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,254 posts
  • 276 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164111 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164102 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164048 (resized).jpg
    20180414_000905 (resized).jpg
    20191029_170103 (resized).jpg
    hodown2 (resized).jpg
    a15d345 (resized).jpg
    tony2 (resized).jpg
    D87C08F2-D08C-47B5-A8A2-EB60699D9479 (resized).jpeg
    20191019_134053 (resized).jpg
    virgil_vigil.jpg
    coin (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1254 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.
    #1201 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

The two times that we went in there probably 15-20 pins were turned off. We'd rather play the more recent pins than EM's and pins from the 70's-80's, but there is plenty of people that do love them. That's why I thought that it was good that there were pins from all eras there (diverse). Nothing wrong with people liking different types/eras of pins.

I’m with you. I spent maybe 20 minutes of an entire Saturday in there.

I have no interest in EM or early solid state games they just seem boring to me.

#1202 1 year ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I’m with you. I spent maybe 20 minutes of an entire Saturday in there.
    I have no interest in EM or early solid state games they just seem boring to me.

My son & I thought the free play area was awesome. There was a good mix of games

Lot of rare games....Cyclopes, Quicksilver, Spirit, Joust just to name a few.

There was so many game we enjoyed from all eras. Thank you to all that brought games and made the show a success.

#1203 1 year ago

Banzai run!

#1204 1 year ago

Tough crowd. I’m glad I like early SS games because I had a blast. Other than Elvira, JP Premium and SW the Pin, I’ve played all the Sterns and Jersey Jacks. I was excited to play tons of games I don’t have on location anywhere near me. Games on my wishlist got a ton of play and several new games were added.

I felt bad when my (boring EM) game went down for part of Friday. Not sure if they tried to fix it without me but I got it back up and running.

I also felt bad that I didn’t buy more from the vendors but there was a lot of stuff I don’t need or already have. I guess I’d rather save my money for another machine than buy some framed art or a set of pinstadiums. Plus, with my birthday and Christmas rolling around, there is already a list circulating of things I want. My wife is good like that and gets folks to pitch in and buy me parts or mods. However, everything on that list is off limits until after the holidays.

#1205 1 year ago

I feel like vendor sales will only continue to drop. Old school collectors kept a list of stuff they needed and picked it up at shows. New school collectors are astoundingly impatient and order everything they want the minute it’s available online. Sure, there will always be impulse purchases, but even an old fart like me isn’t waiting ‘til a show comes around to buy a board if one goes down.

#1206 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Several vendors said that traffic was way down and there was a "weird vibe" with not many people buying things.

that's odd because I believe that I spent more with the vendors (and pinball life at the explosion) this year than the last 4 years combined

#1207 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I feel like vendor sales will only continue to drop. Old school collectors kept a list of stuff they needed and picked it up at shows. New school collectors are astoundingly impatient and order everything they want the minute it’s available online. Sure, there will always be impulse purchases, but even an old fart like me isn’t waiting ‘til a show comes around to buy a board if one goes down.

yea its tough.. other industries are in the same boat. few wait for a car show to come into town to see the latest car, you can just walk into any dealer and test drive it right away. online commerce has changed everything in the last 20 years. i would say for replacement parts it doesnt make much sense. i would say for mods and other shwag like tshirts its still nice to see things in person, maybe talk to that vendor about doing something custom they dont currently sell. i will say after seeing those hologram toppers in person im not that impressed with the quality of the image. maybe it looks better in a dark room.

#1208 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I feel like vendor sales will only continue to drop.

What's weird is that our local show sales (SFGE in July) were more than double this year vs last, and TPF sales this year were great and up slightly. It was just Expo that was way down for us for some reason.

I did hear that it seemed like attendance was up though. I think overall it was a positive move in the right direction for Expo, but I do believe it's going to be difficult to get vendors next year. If we come at all, it will be a hugely stripped down and much smaller booth. Or maybe we will just be attendees instead of vendors as we love talking with people and building up the relationships that make this pinball stuff so fun most of the time.

It could be that the Groupons and stuff that they doing to increase attendance are bringing in more people that are just interested in playing vs collecting at the moment.

Paul

#1209 1 year ago

I think a lot of it is that many of the vendors are now selling more focused on aesthetic mods or art than they are actual parts. I just don't have much interest in that sort of thing personally, and it's gotten pretty saturated.

I would love more parts bins of random plastics or other game specific things to rummage through. I get why that doesn't really happen, but the types of products in the hall aren't going to keep me in there. Even still, I make it a point to walk through the entire hall to see if there's anything that sparks my interest.

#1210 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I think a lot of it is that many of the vendors are now selling more focused on aesthetic mods or art than they are actual parts. I just don't have much interest in that sort of thing personally, and it's gotten pretty saturated.
    I would love more parts bins of random plastics or other game specific things to rummage through. I get why that doesn't really happen, but the types of products in the hall aren't going to keep me in there. Even still, I make it a point to walk through the entire hall to see if there's anything that sparks my interest.

As Circus Maximus noted, it only seemed to be Expo where vendor sales were down. Other shows have been good for them. In my view, It's OK for sales to be down, but you do want people walking by your booth, seeing your products and your name and meeting existing and potentially new customers to build new business. That did not happen this year and it was very different from last year. That said, we have seen some post-Expo sales and we have seen increased traffic to our website via the expo website, so that's positive.

These pics were taken at 4pm on Saturday, which should have been the height of the show. Unfortunately, it was like this most of the show. Don't get me wrong, it's not there were never any people, it's just that it felt very thin overall.

From an attendee perspective, I think expo was great. Enjoyed the free play room and the Stern room. If attendance was up, the organizers are doing something right. Perhaps it's just not a show for vendors, that's entirely possible and reasonable, not all shows are. But if the show does want vendors to play a significant role in the show, changes need to be considered. If I were asked for feedback, my suggestion for next year would be to think about having the Stern room in the vendor area, its the main variable that changed from last year. The aisles can be narrowed considerably to make more room.
    IMG_20191019_164048 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_164140 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_164102 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_164111 (resized).jpg

#1211 1 year ago

I gotta be honest that I think the vendor space was pretty boring.

Handful of the typical parts that I buy online most days > cool for one trip through
    Handful of retail game sellers which are of no interest to the typical pinhead (aside from playing Krull and saying hi to Troy)
    Pinstadium tent city of unplayable overly bright games > pass, the ones I played did not play well and the lights really are that bad in person.
    Mod makers. I guess cool for those that do mods but again those are easily bought online most days and for others they are just of no interest.

On the flip side, you have a sweet Stern room with pretty much 3-10 of each new game to play, the excitement of the tournament to play/watch, and just way more going on.
    You had the free play room with a great variety of games and best numbers in years. I spent easily 4hr there and could have played even more games that I dont have access to on a regular basis.

I made multiple laps around the hotel space, the vendor hall was a one time walk through and then multiple trips to the other rooms to hang and play.

Incorporating some more fun and excitement into the Vendor room could help bring more people in there and back for multiple trip? possibly?

#1212 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

These pics were taken at 4pm on Saturday, which should have been the height of the show

I don't believe the vendor hall was open until 9pm or later Saturday in year's past. I think the expanded hours made some of the times feel a little thin. For people like me that may be used to the old schedule, I forgot that the hall was open prior to 6 most of the time.

Quoted from Lermods:

If I were asked for feedback, my suggestion for next year would be to think about having the Stern room in the vendor area, its the main variable that changed from last year.

And for me as an attendee, that was one of the most positive changes I've seen since I've been attending.

If it were me trying to draw attention to my booth, I'd probably bring a couple of unique games that are available for play, or offer some well-advertised show specials to get people to my booth.

#1213 1 year ago

If it were me trying to draw attention to my booth, I'd probably bring a couple of unique games that are available for play, or offer some well-advertised show specials to get people to my booth.

Again, this was only at Expo.

#1214 1 year ago

Growing pains for the reboot of Expo. Next year wi be better.

#1215 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Handful of the typical parts that I buy online most days > cool for one trip through
    Handful of retail game sellers which are of no interest to the typical pinhead (aside from playing Krull and saying hi to Troy)
    Pinstadium tent city of unplayable overly bright games > pass, the ones I played did not play well and the lights really are that bad in person.
    Mod makers. I guess cool for those that do mods but again those are easily bought online most days and for others they are just of no interest.
    On the flip side, you have a sweet Stern room with pretty much 3-10 of each new game to play, the excitement of the tournament to play/watch, and just way more going on.
    You had the free play room with a great variety of games and best numbers in years. I spent easily 4hr there and could have played even more games that I dont have access to on a regular basis.
    I made multiple laps around the hotel space, the vendor hall was a one time walk through and then multiple trips to the other rooms to hang and play.
    Incorporating some more fun and excitement into the Vendor room could help bring more people in there and back for multiple trip? possibly?

Last year they had the cool pong tables and also the bubble hockey games in the vendor hall -- missed those this year.

#1216 1 year ago

Saw more families again this yr. a number of young kids too. Not long ago it was strictly 40+ men. Good to see ladies and kids taking part.
    I think Groupon helped with that. Be interesting to see the ave redemption count. Was Groupon single use, or was it 3-4 tickets per use.

#1217 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Saw more families again this yr. a number of young kids too. Not long ago it was strictly 40+ men. Good to see ladies and kids taking part.
    I think Groupon helped with that. Be interesting to see the ave redemption count. Was Groupon single use, or was it 3-4 tickets per use.

single use, and depending on what you were there for, a better value than the whole package which makes no sense.

#1218 1 year ago

We did use the groupon for 3 (had 1 game there)and promptly spent the savings in the vendor hall.

#1219 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree, I don't think it's a new problem, but for the most part I'm just not interested in looking at products that I have access to 24/7 on the internet. The vendors I've been the most interested in are the ones that had random used parts.

Quoted from Whysnow:

That's really worth exploring. What would make people want to visit the vendor room? They are probably not going to be good, but I'll toss out a few things...

1) New Releases - Obviously out of the control of the show, but when there is a hot new game people will go wherever that game is. A few years ago, I remember lines around Dialed In.

2) Completions - Maybe the vendors could run a mini-competitions on their games. Each vendors could setup one of their games for the event and give away a small prize to the high score on their game. Set the games up to single ball or make it more pin-golf style to keep it a bit more random.

3) Show Specials - I know it's probably already a pain for the vendors to bring things to the show, but for the most part I'm going to order online unless there are deals I can't get somewhere else.

4) Silent Auction - I'm a sucker for silent auctions. I'll go back multiple times a day to check my bids.

5) Unique Experience - Whirlwind in a wind tunnel, Earthshaker on a shaking platform, Taxi with flippers controlled by turning a steering wheel, Diner with the tilt bob wired to a serving tray, etc.

#1220 1 year ago

Simple things would be to open doors on both sides to make the vendor hall a natural pass through between the game hall and stern room.

Second is to put key games in key spots. Just like the milk is in the back of the grocery store, put a prime attraction in each corner.

Third is to make the space more full. People tend to spend less time where there is more room and less excitement. More stuff and people in strategic flow can itself build even more to come in there.

#1221 1 year ago
    download (resized).jpg
    #1222 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Simple things would be to open doors on both sides to make the vendor hall a natural pass through between the game hall and stern room.

I could see that. The only problem being that there would be a need for door checkers on both sides. I wasn't even sure what doors we were supposed to use a lot of this year... seemed like the side doors were being used for at least some of the time, and then only the new front doors. If you close off those front doors and use the side door, and the door on the other side that leads to the bathroom, it would offer people a "shortcut" to get between the free play rooms.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Second is to put key games in key spots. Just like the milk is in the back of the grocery store, put a prime attraction in each corner.

Agreed. And the only way you can guarantee that you have something cool for people to play near your booth is to bring it yourself. If you brought something to demo your art blades, put it on free play... Lots of people poke around at the things near them while their buddies play. If you're willing to haul a game to a show and not put it on free play for people to enjoy, I think you're missing a lot of opportunity to start a dialogue with potential customers. If you're not bringing a machine at all, I think you're missing the opportunity to showcase your product.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Third is to make the space more full. People tend to spend less time where there is more room and less excitement. More stuff and people in strategic flow can itself build even more to come in there.

Not this guy! I hate crowds, which is a lot of the reason I'm up until 6am.

#1223 1 year ago

The new west entry door to the vendor hall certainly made it harder to pop back & forth between free play & vendor. Didn't keep track but I bet I spent less time in the vendor hall for that reason alone. The old north side entry was super handy, made that one hallway feel like grand central with a buzz of people. I guess now with the tourney gone from the hallway, it makes sense to use that larger space for vendor entry, but maybe it's too much space?

#1224 1 year ago

Everyone's different, but the things that open my wallet in the vendor hall are wearables/art/etc. I spent a hundred bucks on limited screen-printed posters at the Logan Arcade booth, and bought an enamel pin at the Circus Maximus booth. Would have bought a couple things from Rage Tilt, but I already have the stuff I want from them and didn't see anything new. Would have bought Ryan Claytor's book if I didn't already pick it up at PATZ.

As for mods, I'm not into them at all, but even if I was, I'm not waiting for Expo to roll around to buy pinstadiums or whatever.

#1225 1 year ago

It's too bad the Westin bans outside food sales, because the PATZ soda pop guy and ReplayFX chocolate guy would probably both make a killing. Those two alone would drive foot traffic to the vendor hall as a whole. People eating chocolate-covered bacon are happy. And happy people spend money.

#1226 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It's too bad the Westin bans outside food sales, because the PATZ soda pop guy and ReplayFX chocolate guy would probably both make a killing.

When did they change that? I know the soda pop guy used to be at Expo, and I also seem to recall a fudge guy one year.

#1227 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

When did they change that?

I'm not sure, and I may very well be wrong, but I've heard that the hotel has a no-tolerance policy for outside food & drink sales. I guess if you pay them enough anything is possible.

#1228 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I wish I was there to see all my friends again.. he wont lets me .BULLSHIT

#1229 1 year ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

Quoted from mikepin:
    I wish I was there to see all my friends again.. he wont lets me .BULLSHIT

This sounds better if you read it as gollum

#1230 1 year ago

And JJP was a highlight. Glad we are all different. An old solid state that fights back or a storybook with a ball to follow. I know my choice.

#1231 1 year ago

Buying mods and parts at the shows saves on shipping costs. So there is a discount there if you wait and make sure that they will have it there or pre-pay to pick them up at the show. Pinball Life - decent discounts plus no shipping. I hold of on purchases from them if I can and get what I need plus any anticipated things I know I will need in the coming months at Expo week.

#1232 1 year ago

terrapinmark is a real asshole. wont let up... yes alot of thought went into why the old entrance was the way it was.. and what made the vendor room more traffic.. please remember BERK brought 125 games.. he had not brought 125 games over the last 33 years.. I begged him too. now he does to make it look like its all my fault... really

#1233 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

No one ever made the hole so I think that was bad strategy Thanks for bringing it, way cool game!

According to the audits, 15 people made it through the hole. Unfortunately no idea how many games were played to get to that point!

#1234 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

terrapinmark is a real asshole.

You could have just personally called me names at Pinball Expo or Allentown Pinfest...... Oh wait a minute

#1235 1 year ago

Mark, I don't know what happened to you, but your constant bashing of your former friend has caused me to lose a lot of the respect I had for you. You finally got your wish; Mike has been banished from pinball. Why don't you drop it and grow up now? Crap like this is why I rarely post here anymore.

#1236 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Mark, I don't know what happened to you, but your constant bashing of your former friend has caused me to lose a lot of the respect I had for you. You finally got your wish; Mike has been banished from pinball. Why don't you drop it and grow up now? Crap like this is why I rarely post here anymore.

Fully agree as i don't communicate with him(Mark) any longer as well.

#1237 1 year ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Saw pics with games turned off at expo due to not working or simply unplayable.

At it's peak we had 15 games off at once in the main room, which was more or less full with about ~130 games.

The crew spent a significant amount of time keeping things going and did a great job at it. We generally had about 8-10 games off, several of which we did not have keys to fix.

Andrew

#1238 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

terrapinmark is a real asshole. wont let up... yes alot of thought went into why the old entrance was the way it was.. and what made the vendor room more traffic.. please remember BERK brought 125 games.. he had not brought 125 games over the last 33 years.. I begged him too. now he does to make it look like its all my fault... really

Rob bringing games would have been nice... but that is not why attendance/people who bring games was down, and you well know it.

Andrew

#1239 1 year ago

I know *I* spent a lot of money at Mayfair's booth. Don't need custom bar stools (though they look cool), I bought some shirts, ummmm... that was about it.

#1240 1 year ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

You could have just personally called me names at Pinball Expo or Allentown Pinfest...... Oh wait a minute

So I’m going to go with Mark on this. Mike has been badgering him behind the scenes for months. The relationship is so dissolved that this is in evitable. But for Mike to call him out on a public forum and Mark not defend himself that’s beyond what most of us could do.

#1241 1 year ago

Here is Part One of Pinball Expo...an hour long covering Thursday October 17th! There is footage of Gottlieb KRULL also Todd

#1242 1 year ago

And here is part Two---Covering Friday Oct 18th. It shows the Silent Auction for Project Pinball and many Home Brew (homemade) Pinball Machines! Todd

#1243 1 year ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

And here is part Two---Covering Friday Oct 18th. It shows the Silent Auction for Project Pinball and many Home Brew (homemade) Pinball Machines! Todd

Now we need the big day saturday..........thanks todd.

#1244 1 year ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Here is Part One of Pinball Expo...an hour long covering Thursday October 17th! There is footage of Gottlieb KRULL also Todd

Glad you enjoyed my Krull. I still havent unwrapped it from the show, hopefully I get around to it soon

#1245 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

I'm going to have to check it out. Because if there's really good food in the restroom, I can only imagine how great the food is in their restaurant.

don't eat the chocolate pudding!

#1246 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

Don't need custom bar stools

I just did not want my wife sitting on Jack's face!

#1247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

hopefully I get around to it soon

You know who to call!!

#1248 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

According to the audits, 15 people made it through the hole. Unfortunately no idea how many games were played to get to that point!

And I was so hoping to be one of those 15... I guess there is always next time.

#1249 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheKorn:

According to the audits, 15 people made it through the hole.

My nephew was one of them. He did it on his second try. He made it looks easy, which apparently, it's not.

#1250 1 year ago

I made it all the way to the top on my first try but couldn't make the hole

There are 1254 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside