Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,254 posts
  • 276 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164111 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164102 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164048 (resized).jpg
    20180414_000905 (resized).jpg
    20191029_170103 (resized).jpg
    hodown2 (resized).jpg
    a15d345 (resized).jpg
    tony2 (resized).jpg
    D87C08F2-D08C-47B5-A8A2-EB60699D9479 (resized).jpeg
    20191019_134053 (resized).jpg
    virgil_vigil.jpg
    coin (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.
    #1051 4 years ago

My first Expo, first pinball show and first time bringing a game. Good times all around. My game went down on Friday (while I was at Pinball Life) and it went down again a few hours later. Managed to bring it back to life and it played for the rest of the show.

I agree that communication could be better and signage needs improved. I had to ask about the raffle winners and I think they posted it to Facebook but never saw it anywhere at the show. Going to the website shows where some of that attention to detail can be improved:

COMING SOON: DETAILED MAP OF THE SHOW

CHECK BACK SOON FOR IMAGES AND DETAILS OF PINBALL EXPO'S SHOW MAP

Thanks to everyone that helped make a great show, helped me move/fix my game, or brought things for me to buy. Much appreciated.

#1052 4 years ago

so I had a couple days to sit back and think about my expo experience this year. I had a Blast! I couldn't believe all the excitement this year. I have been coming to expo every year for a long time. not as long as most of you but 10 years is a good stretch. All I have to say is WOW. Best year yet!

I have never seen the entire first floor of hotel used. From one side to the other. The whole thing used. OMG every room had something different. hauntcade, fun with pinball, rob anthony game repair, 24 game hall, Vendor hall, Stern/marco room. Tournment room, overflow/charity room, seminar room. all cool stuff related to pinball.

I played so many games but I feel I only played half of the games I wanted. You know how it is when you only see your friends one time a year. there were so many different intresting games this year. I only got 1 game on Krull, it was friday night at about 10:30 but it had a left flipper problem. bummer. It had a line every time i walked past it. thank you @videogameseller for bringing it. It was the highlight for everyone at EXPO.

As far as the free play hall set up went. It went smooth. I brought 2 games in Rob zombie and diner. I set them up at registration. the Staff makes sure the games work and grounded and then they (the staff) moves the game to free play hall. Where you finish setting it up and leveling it. I brought a lumpy Star Trek Next Gen for Rob Anthony to fix. by thrusday before the show opened, he had it fixed and the staff already moved it to Free play hall for me. Done, I didnt have to worry about a thing. Rob, Andrew, and EXPO volunteer staff took care of every thing for me so i could enjoy expo. thank you.

I wish i took more pictures. Thank you to the pinsider who took pictures of the vendor hall. I was going to do it thrusday but things still werent set up. Friday night was the big Elvira launch so i was hanging out there. I had a beer with dennis nordman and had him sign my white water translight. totally lost track of time. The seminars were cool. I love listening to pat lawlor speak. LTG show is great. thank you for beer. glad i got a mug. sorry if its your last year.

there was so much to do outside of expo. The pinball life event, pinball Olympics, took my nephew on the stern tour. everything was just a blast. It went so fast. It's good to hear so many people say good thing about EXPO. Nice to have postive attitude. Even with no new game reveals. EXPO has sure turned into something special. I really encourage people to come next year if you haven't been to EXPO or haven't been here in while to give it another go.

finally pictures from my machines for games played in the free play hall.
    20191020_080754 (resized).jpg20191020_080754 (resized).jpg20191020_081913 (resized).jpg20191020_081913 (resized).jpg20191020_081920 (resized).jpg20191020_081920 (resized).jpg20191020_082745 (resized).jpg20191020_082745 (resized).jpg

#1053 4 years ago

So does anyone know who won the JP Prem? Not seeing any info on that...

#1054 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

Was curious about that and the MakeAWish machine auction results.

#1055 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

Posted to their Twitter feed:
    Congratulations to the winner of the Jurassic Park Pinball Machine, Carsen Olson!!!

https://twitter.com/PinballExpoOfc/status/1185745172535173120

#1056 4 years ago

I stumbled upon this picture of the 2016 expo. That may have been Saturday night, so not an entirely fair comparison, but I do feel like these pictures help to give a pretty accurate representation of the show in general (2016 top, 2019 bottom)
    IMG_20161016_054243 (resized).jpgIMG_20161016_054243 (resized).jpg20191019_042326 (resized).jpg20191019_042326 (resized).jpg

#1057 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Back from Expo and taking a break from tech support.
    Included are pictures of my mugs. Started with 108 and went through them.
    I met a lot of new friends, got to visit with a lot of old friends. And tried to kill myself at Mortons Friday night. Quite the Expo.
    I was wrong about American Pinball unveiling their next game. I apologize for that. I hope the MMR Royal and Willy Wonka CE production game there made up for it a little.
    This was my last Pinball Expo. It costs me more each year to go, plus having my business closed for three days. And the seminar before mine running longer and getting mine off to a late start and shortened. Helped make up my mind.
    Pinball Expo is a great show, and I hope it continues for many more years. People there had a great time and I hope the show goes on for many years and gladdens the hearts of pinball fans.
    LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image]

Lloyd, you are a great asset to this site, JJP, Chicago Gaming, S.S. Billiards, and to so many various other platforms and people.

I'm glad you make the efforts you do, and can only imagine the frustrations you must run into regarding situations like this last weekend.

You're a gem of the industry, and without folks like you giving your time, information, and most of all charming personality, pinball wouldn't be nearly as engaging or entertaining to discuss or play on a daily basis.

I wish things were easier for you pal, but I entirely empathize with your plight, and hope you place your own needs, and that of your pooch, first and foremost!

#1058 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I stumbled upon this picture of the 2016 expo. That may have been Saturday night, so not an entirely fair comparison, but I do feel like these pictures help to give a pretty accurate representation of the show in general (2016 top, 2019 bottom)
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That was the reason I skipped 2017 (I recognize the 3 sinbad's which was cool), but that show was a disappointment. Last year was good, this year was even better.

#1059 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Was this thing ever turned on? I walked by it a lot and never saw it on. Looked like lots of fun.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What an awesome idea! I work on pneumatic machines for a living and I never thought about air power in pinball. It's clean and quiet (if you have the right air source). I want to know more! Anyone know the owner?

I'm guessing it needs high pressure but uses very little air. Maybe it could make it a couple days on a large tank? I would want to make sure the machine was getting dry air so there was no moister in the machine.

I LOVE what appears to be the little air nozzles that kick out the saucer at the top of the play field.

VERY COOL!

#1060 4 years ago

see you all next year

20191016_225614 (resized).jpg20191016_225614 (resized).jpg
    #1061 4 years ago

My 3 I brought to the show. Elvira was added about a month ago when I found out she was coming to the show!! I was able to get her to sign the Apron for my machine!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1062 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

My 3 I brought to the show. Elvira was added about a month ago when I found out she was coming to the show!! I was able to get her to sign the Apron for my machine!![quoted image][quoted image]

Now that pic right there is a classic example of an autograph fee being recouped if one sells a machine. Well done.

#1063 4 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

so I had a couple days to sit back and think about my expo experience this year. I had a Blast! I couldn't believe all the excitement this year. I have been coming to expo every year for a long time. not as long as most of you but 10 years is a good stretch. All I have to say is WOW. Best year yet!
    I have never seen the entire first floor of hotel used. From one side to the other. The whole thing used. OMG every room had something different. hauntcade, fun with pinball, rob anthony game repair, 24 game hall, Vendor hall, Stern/marco room. Tournment room, overflow/charity room, seminar room. all cool stuff related to pinball.
    I played so many games but I feel I only played half of the games I wanted. You know how it is when you only see your friends one time a year. there were so many different intresting games this year. I only got 1 game on Krull, it was friday night at about 10:30 but it had a left flipper problem. bummer. It had a line every time i walked past it. thank you @videogameseller for bringing it. It was the highlight for everyone at EXPO.
    As far as the free play hall set up went. It went smooth. I brought 2 games in Rob zombie and diner. I set them up at registration. the Staff makes sure the games work and grounded and then they (the staff) moves the game to free play hall. Where you finish setting it up and leveling it. I brought a lumpy Star Trek Next Gen for Rob Anthony to fix. by thrusday before the show opened, he had it fixed and the staff already moved it to Free play hall for me. Done, I didnt have to worry about a thing. Rob, Andrew, and EXPO volunteer staff took care of every thing for me so i could enjoy expo. thank you.
    I wish i took more pictures. Thank you to the pinsider who took pictures of the vendor hall. I was going to do it thrusday but things still werent set up. Friday night was the big Elvira launch so i was hanging out there. I had a beer with dennis nordman and had him sign my white water translight. totally lost track of time. The seminars were cool. I love listening to pat lawlor speak. LTG show is great. thank you for beer. glad i got a mug. sorry if its your last year.
    there was so much to do outside of expo. The pinball life event, pinball Olympics, took my nephew on the stern tour. everything was just a blast. It went so fast. It's good to hear so many people say good thing about EXPO. Nice to have postive attitude. Even with no new game reveals. EXPO has sure turned into something special. I really encourage people to come next year if you haven't been to EXPO or haven't been here in while to give it another go.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Loved playing Zombie....

#1064 4 years ago
    Quoted from LoganJK:

I work on pneumatic machines for a living and I never thought about air power in pinball. It's clean and quiet (if you have the right air source). I want to know more! Anyone know the owner?

I'm guessing it needs high pressure but uses very little air. Maybe it could make it a couple days on a large tank? I would want to make sure the machine was getting dry air so there was no moister in the machine.

I LOVE what appears to be the little air nozzles that kick out the saucer at the top of the play field.

Here's the general idea: The tank is pressurized at the start of EACH GAME. That's the only use of electricity in the game; all playfield devices, scoring, indicators are entirely pneumatic. You get to play infinite balls until the air runs out, which can be about 5 minutes. You must think carefully about air pressure as a limited resource and not waste it on gratuitous flipping! As air runs down, the devices become less powerful. Empty tank means game over. It's quite a challenge to the conventional plinball-playing mindset!
    .................David Marston

#1065 4 years ago

Looks like a coin to me! 2019 Expo added to the collection.

coin (resized).jpgcoin (resized).jpg
    #1066 4 years ago
    Quoted from LoganJK:

What an awesome idea! I work on pneumatic machines for a living and I never thought about air power in pinball. It's clean and quiet (if you have the right air source). I want to know more! Anyone know the owner?
    VERY COOL!

Anyone know of a video of this game?

#1067 4 years ago

No but I looked it up too and surprisingly, this was built many years ago by a company called clippard for 35,000 and shown at expo in 2001.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2001/index2.html

and it has an ipdb entry:
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4662&picno=7216

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Anyone know of a video of this game?

#1068 4 years ago

Thank you all for sharing photos. I'm pretty excited to go and break my pinball cherry at Expo. Well, er ah... I'm headed out in 2020 which I see dates aren't showing up yet.

#1069 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I'm headed out in 2020 which I see dates aren't showing up yet.

I saw someone post a pic. of a sign that read Oct. 14th. thru 18th. "2020" ?? can anyone confirm ?

#1070 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Thank you all for sharing photos. I'm pretty excited to go and break my pinball cherry at Expo. Well, er ah... I'm headed out in 2020 which I see dates aren't showing up yet.

8 posts up. Oct 14-18.

#1071 4 years ago

I heard one more year at the Westin before they move the show to a bigger place in Schaumburg.

Iffy if we will be back as a vendor next year as we were one of the ones with significantly decreased sales from last year.

From talking with other vendors it seems about equally split between those of us who were down significantly and those that had great sales. I think traffic flow and room layout was a contributing factor, but not sure how much. Having all the Sterns in their own room seemed to take a big part of the traffic away from the vendor rooms. One vendor even commented that they had to go drag their best customers out of the Stern/Marco room to buy the stuff they normally buy every year from them.

For us it's as much about relationships as it is about total sales, but the sales decrease will probably give us a tough decision next year on if/how we attend as a vendor.

#1072 4 years ago

nice job, lots of games and the many examples of modern games was superb. well done to everyone. Elvira was prob the biggest hit I've ever seen at expo celebrity/ extra attraction wise. lots of people and she was very friendly, seemed humbled and full of smiles.

#1073 4 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

I heard one more year at the Westin before they move the show to a bigger place in Schaumburg.
    Iffy if we will be back as a vendor next year as we were one of the ones with significantly decreased sales from last year.
    From talking with other vendors it seems about equally split between those of us who were down significantly and those that had great sales. I think traffic flow and room layout was a contributing factor, but not sure how much. Having all the Sterns in their own room seemed to take a big part of the traffic away from the vendor rooms. One vendor even commented that they had to go drag their best customers out of the Stern/Marco room to buy the stuff they normally buy every year from them.
    For us it's as much about relationships as it is about total sales, but the sales decrease will probably give us a tough decision next year on if/how we attend as a vendor.

Agree with this. Vendor hall traffic was sparse. Hard to develop new business like that.

#1074 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I’m not privy to the p&l for expo so I have no idea what they can do, But there needs to be more to get the quality games in. Just spit ballin here but what if in addition to the current incentives, they provided a catered lunch each day. Prob only cost $7-8 per owner per day, but stuff like that might tip the scales for some.

They do provide a pretty nice buffet on Thursday right before the vendor hall opens. I didn't partake in it this year since I was meeting some friends for dinner right after, but I recall it being quite tasty last year.

#1075 4 years ago

Often wondered if as a vendor it’s worth all the effort and expense to do these trade shows? Just looking at some of the displays I could not imagine moving all of that stuff for what turns out to be a day and a half display. Must be for the love of the hobby. Hard to believe you sell enough product. Some of the vendor booths had zero traffic and the dudes looked bored. Looking at their phones more then speaking with potential customers.

#1076 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Agree with this. Vendor hall traffic was sparse. Hard to develop new business like that.

Yeah but your fans got to meet you. I did a order a few mins ago.

You win the nicest couple award.

#1077 4 years ago
    Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Yeah but your fans got to meet you. I did a order a few mins ago.
    You win the nicest couple award.

It's always nice meeting existing customers and new ones at the shows, that's mainly why we go...my wife and I work really hard before, after and during the shows, it's exhausting really. And we travel by plane! TSA did not like the shaker motors we brought on board. But at this show there just wasn't much traffic and it felt empty more often than not. The TAf in our booth only got about 150 plays, probably 20 by me, that's compared to shows where games typically have seen 350-400 plays. The show organizers work really hard, have been very accommodating and treat us and all vendors I believe very well, it is appreciated, but the traffic just wasn't there.

And thanks for the order...still catching up, hope to get it out to you by Saturday.

#1078 4 years ago

I was happy to see MayFair Amusements back .

#1079 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They do provide a pretty nice buffet on Thursday right before the vendor hall opens.

Quoted from gweempose:

I didn't partake in it this year

Then you missed the cold pizza and cold sliders. I was one of the first ones through.

LTG : )

#1080 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Some of the vendor booths had zero traffic and the dudes looked bored.

Every show has its Virgil.

virgil_vigil.jpgvirgil_vigil.jpg
    #1081 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Then you missed the cold pizza and cold sliders. I was one of the first ones through.

Those were tasty. Both of the Buffets had great food.

#1082 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Often wondered if as a vendor it’s worth all the effort and expense to do these trade shows? Just looking at some of the displays I could not imagine moving all of that stuff for what turns out to be a day and a half display. Must be for the love of the hobby. Hard to believe you sell enough product. Some of the vendor booths had zero traffic and the dudes looked bored. Looking at their phones more then speaking with potential customers.

Each show has it's own personality and we adjust what we bring to sell based on that. Relationships are big for us, so we have to factor that in a bit too.

In general, we pay 1/2 as much for the booth and sell twice as much stuff at TPF than we do at Expo. This year Expo was 25% of the sales of TPF.

This year we stayed offsite at a hotel that was a third of the price and included a free breakfast as well as driving our own truck with a trailer vs renting a sprinter van like we do for TPF to help a bit with the lesser booth sales at expo.

At our local show in July we sold twice as much as the previous year, so it doesn't seem to be an overall trend yet.

#1083 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They do provide a pretty nice buffet on Thursday right before the vendor hall opens. I didn't partake in it this year since I was meeting some friends for dinner right after, but I recall it being quite tasty last year.

I got there around 9pm on thurs so I missed out on that part.

#1084 4 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Hope it’s not Schaumburg, further drive yet

#1085 4 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

In general, we pay 1/2 as much for the booth and sell twice as much stuff at TPF than we do at Expo.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that vendors and free play games are all in the same room at TPF.

#1086 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that vendors and free play games are all in the same room at TPF.

agreed! It keeps all wandering in a single room.
    Games to play are a draw and if I was a vendor I would want that all together somehow.

Maybe with that accessory overflow game room they could open/combine the vendor and main game halls?
    Then use the overflow for after hours/ all night free play?

I always hear a few very vocal people asking for all hours game room, but it seems like post 1 or 2 am it is nearly empty?

Also, the separate Stern room was very cool but pulled people away form the vendor hall.

In previous years there was Vendor and Game hall and seminars.

This year you added Stern and Overflow halls to the mix.

#1087 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

The main reason steve at pbr hasnt been to expo in years. Just not ecomonically viable.

#1088 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

The main reason steve at pbr hasnt been to expo in years. Just not ecomonically viable.

Plus he has to shut down for a week and pay overtime. 1999 was the last time Steve was here. And When Williams was open , he would stop there to get orders and extra stuff to sell at the show.

#1089 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Often wondered if as a vendor it’s worth all the effort and expense to do these trade shows?

Yeah, during load-in I wondered aloud how it could possibly be worth hauling all those pachinko machines around. Unfortunately the pachinko guy was standing right behind me.

#1090 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Yeah, during load-in I wondered aloud how it could possibly be worth hauling all those pachinko machines around. Unfortunately the pachinko guy was standing right behind me.

and probably reading your comments in this thread now as well

#1091 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Pizza was good, but the sliders were dry. They kept replenishing, so maybe I got lucky and came through when the pizza was fresh. First round of food was probably sitting there waiting for the event to begin.

#1092 4 years ago

Based on what I saw foot traffic wise I would tend to agree. Maybe the exposure and name recognition is worth it?

#1093 4 years ago

Way back when, before all the repro parts, vendors had the rare NOS playfields, plastic sets, and parts, they could make money on.

You have to sell a lot of flipper rebuild kits to break even with expenses. Travel, room, food, booth.

#1094 4 years ago

I'm wondering now if shows like Expo have to be more flexible and creative when dealing with vendors. Like shopping malls these days. In the old days the property owners could be aggressive and adversarial with lease negotiations, and now the game has changed. It's vitally important that people continue to come to the mall, and that means changing how you negotiate spaces. Accommodate and incentivize, allow pop ups and exciting start-ups that draw people interested in new things.

Some lessons there for shows like Expo.

#1095 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm wondering now if shows like Expo have to be more flexible and creative when dealing with vendors. Like shopping malls these days. In the old days the property owners could be aggressive and adversarial with lease negotiations, and now the game has changed. It's vitally important that people continue to come to the mall, and that means changing how you negotiate spaces. Accommodate and incentivize, allow pop ups and exciting start-ups that draw people interested in new things.
    Some lessons there for shows like Expo.

I would agree. More incentives are needed beyond just potential sales. It would be absolutely exhausting and expensive to bring all the inventory and pay for a room and food. At least in my mind. Maybe there are incentives behind the scenes that we are not aware exist.

#1096 4 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Each show has it's own personality and we adjust what we bring to sell based on that. Relationships are big for us, so we have to factor that in a bit too.
    In general, we pay 1/2 as much for the booth and sell twice as much stuff at TPF than we do at Expo. This year Expo was 25% of the sales of TPF.
    This year we stayed offsite at a hotel that was a third of the price and included a free breakfast as well as driving our own truck with a trailer vs renting a sprinter van like we do for TPF to help a bit with the lesser booth sales at expo.
    At our local show in July we sold twice as much as the previous year, so it doesn't seem to be an overall trend yet.

Newbie here, what do you sell?? name of company?

#1097 4 years ago
    Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Newbie here, what do you sell?? name of company?

Circus Maximus - https://www.circusmaximusgames.com/ - also on Facebook.

Working on bringing Pinball Circus and Kingpin to market.

#1098 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Circus Maximus - https://www.circusmaximusgames.com/ - also on Facebook.
    Working on bringing Pinball Circus and Kingpin to market.

We also brings tons of Pinball parts, unique artwork, and Knick knacks like enamel pins, patches, tshirts. Generally we have 40-60 feet of booth space frontage.

#1099 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

I would agree. More incentives are needed beyond just potential sales. It would be absolutely exhausting and expensive to bring all the inventory and pay for a room and food. At least in my mind. Maybe there are incentives behind the scenes that we are not aware exist.

Vendors get the vip party on Thursday night, which is appreciated. No other perks or incentives, but not sure any are really needed.

#1100 4 years ago

Zombie was nice - fast machine.

Quoted from cavalier88z24:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There are 1,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-pinball-expo-thread/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.