Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,254 posts
  • 276 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164140 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164111 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164102 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20191019_164048 (resized).jpg
    20180414_000905 (resized).jpg
    20191029_170103 (resized).jpg
    hodown2 (resized).jpg
    a15d345 (resized).jpg
    tony2 (resized).jpg
    D87C08F2-D08C-47B5-A8A2-EB60699D9479 (resized).jpeg
    20191019_134053 (resized).jpg
    virgil_vigil.jpg
    coin (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 1,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 26.
    #901 4 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

For me, I think JJP announcing WONKA and their future pins would have code updatable via bluetooth was a BIG announcement. We take technology for granted sometimes.

I didn't make it to the JJP event as I've got no intention of buying another JJP after clear gate - but I'm in consumer electronics and I have to say updates via bluetooth seems pretty questionable to me, its not a great platform for doing that type of update, Most things that update via bluetooth are like headphones with tiny updates. I can't imagine doing a 3G update via bluetooth!

Neil.

#902 4 years ago

For me, I think JJP announcing WONKA and their future pins would have code updatable via bluetooth was a BIG announcement. We take technology for granted sometimes.

I wonder why they choose bluetooth? Almost certainly much slower than WiFi. Anyone know if it is Bluetooth 4.0 or 5.0?

#903 4 years ago

pretty impressive how well coded Pirates is already that maybe 1 more before calling it quits. JJP does code their games well right out of the gate (personal pref aside).

Saying automated updates is big news is a joke. Nothing big about something we all knew. Using bluetooth though really isn't smart. Why not wifi? So much better.

#904 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I didn't make it to the JJP event as I've got no intention of buying another JJP after clear gate - but I'm in consumer electronics and I have to say updates via bluetooth seems pretty questionable to me, its not a great platform for doing that type of update, Most things that update via bluetooth are like headphones with tiny updates. I can't imagine doing a 3G update via bluetooth!
    Neil.

I'm a bit puzzled too. Why not via WiFi? Why do you need to (presumably) tether it to another smart device? It has a PC in it already.

#905 4 years ago

I am reckoning that blue-tooth is alot easier to build. Could this mean that the machine can also connect to other blueteeth things in the house like surround sounds or speaker pods?

#906 4 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I am reckoning that blue-tooth is alot easier to build. Could this mean that the machine can also connect to other blueteeth things in the house like surround sounds or speaker pods?

JJP games already connect to phones via BT with the remote flipper actuation.

Updates potentially of a GB or more over BT aren't very suitable, and you still NEED another device ... just like you would if you did it via a USB stick.

If they did it via WiFi or Ethernet they could just make a service menu item for updates. It would not be difficult. BoP 2.0 did this ages ago.

#907 4 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

If anyone needs help with load out check the haunted room. They may be able to lend a hand... or leg.
    Another fantastic, too short Expo. Thanks Rob, Andrew, et all.[quoted image]

Nice Uriah Heep shirt! Saw them at the Hard Rock in Orlando Feb 2018.

#908 4 years ago

Not sure they said updates by Bluetooth. Thought it was updates by WiFi and audio by Bluetooth.

#909 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Headed home! Had a blast. Couldn’t have imagined my first EXPO being any better.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting!

Does anyone know what's going on inside that Metallica with the goggles?

#910 4 years ago

Bluetooth headphones support and internet (wired or WiFi) updating.

Normally I wouldn't bother correcting this, but we did announce it and the information provided regarding the announcement was absurdly incorrect.

#911 4 years ago
    Quoted from dgposter:

Thanks for posting!
    Does anyone know what's going on inside that Metallica with the goggles?

Backwards binoculars. Game looks like it’s really far away.

#912 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I wonder why they choose bluetooth? Almost certainly much slower than WiFi. Anyone know if it is Bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0?

I'm hoping the original Expo info poster is wrong as well. I think Wifi for updates and Bluetooth for headphones is more likely.
    I'm still waiting for the video to drop.

#913 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Normally I wouldn't bother correcting this, but we did announce it and the information provided regarding the announcement was absurdly incorrect.

Thanks Keef! The video for the JJP talk hasn't dropped as of Noon EST on Sunday, so we're all going by what folks are posting. This is great news.

#914 4 years ago

Pinball News has been great at posting, as always, all the seminars, just wish someone connected to the event could’ve live streamed them. So many podcasters out there now I was surprised no one was approached to do it.

#915 4 years ago

I was at the seminar.

Headphones/speakers by Bluetooth, updates by WiFi or wired Ethernet. Updates can be set to automatic or manual.

Will first be implemented on Wonka then on all other JJP titles.

#916 4 years ago

Anybody fallen asleep watching BK in the tournament??

#917 4 years ago

did anyone go to the auction? a lot of machines did not meet reserve prices. was wondering if they actually sold at their last bid price.

#918 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

did anyone go to the auction? a lot of machines did not meet reserve prices. was wondering if they actually sold at their last bid price.

I was curious also. Several of them had"sold" signs on them afterward that hadn't made reserve.

#919 4 years ago

Many of the auction games sold below dealer cost $4000 for a New Pro. Good deal if you turned in.

#920 4 years ago

Wow! They sold for less than reserve? Didn’t know that could happen

#921 4 years ago
    Quoted from Onwallst:

Jjp said no more runs. Only if distributors did large firm pre paid orders would they which the said highly unlikely. They said it was a “really slow burner.” Not sure what that meant.

When I hear "really slow burner", to me it means that the sales demand was slow and steady with no large influx of orders. So asking for prepaid orders, JJP is saying that they want to ensure they don't get stuck with unsold product. I am sure everyone remembers all the order cancellations for Pirates when the chest and disc were changed. Given this, I would say that the chance of another run of Pirates is wishful thinking.

#922 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

One Star Trek pro really surprised me.. I think actually sold for $4950 plus $495 in auction fees which went to charity.. so $5445 (and I think plus tax?).. the drop target and under ship optos didn’t work, and the mode led board “prime directive” was out.. looked like it had maybe 10k plays on it too.. sheesh.

#923 4 years ago

Thanks Keith,for correcting this info before Pinside radicals could go off the rails for the next week.
    Keep up the good work!

#924 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Neil.

Someone watched Popstar.

#925 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I was at the seminar.
    Headphones/speakers by Bluetooth, updates by WiFi or wired Ethernet. Updates can be set to automatic or manual.
    Will first be implemented on Wonka then on all other JJP titles.

This doesn’t include the first Wonka’s does it?

#926 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

This doesn’t include the first Wonka’s does it?

Pretty sure all of the mobos for all JJP games have ethernet. Dunno about WiFi.

#927 4 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Pretty sure all of the mobos for all JJP games have ethernet. Dunno about WiFi.

Yeah, they all have Ethernet. They all do NOT have built-in WiFi. I'm assuming a dongle or half-height card will be added. OR, they could just change motherboards to one with wifi built in. The one they've been using is getting pretty long in the tooth...

MSIH61M-P31/W8 (most WoZ)
    MSI/H81M-P33 (Hobbit forward)

#928 4 years ago

The JJP seminar still hasn’t dropped and the ones that have from Pinball News have no audio

#929 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

The JJP seminar still hasn’t dropped and the ones that have from Pinball News have no audio

They're getting closer to the JJP seminar. The LTG one was at 7:15PM, and the JJP one was at 8:00PM. So it should be up soon.

Audio plays fine on all the ones I've tried. Check the youtube volume slider or your PC for muting.

#930 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Audio plays fine on the ones I've tried.

Same here. One with Lloyd the Great just dropped minutes ago. he is hilarious. I had no idea. : )

#931 4 years ago

Huge thanks to the guest speakers, organizers, staff members and attendees for making my first Pinball Expo so magical! I love you all!
    FD030634-588F-4AF7-B2E3-2E083FF0C63D (resized).jpegFD030634-588F-4AF7-B2E3-2E083FF0C63D (resized).jpeg

#932 4 years ago

I’ll check again but audio works on other vids

#933 4 years ago

Looking forward to it keith! excellent stuff

#934 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, they all have Ethernet. They all do NOT have built-in WiFi. I'm assuming a dongle or half-height card will be added. OR, they could just change motherboards to one with wifi built in. The one they've been using is getting pretty long in the tooth...

MSIH61M-P31/W8 (most WoZ)
    MSI/H81M-P33 (Hobbit forward)

Even boards with built-in wifi use external antennas.. so will still need to add gear (even tho its cheap). USB wifi support is pretty good and has forward and backwards compatibility...

#935 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Thanks Keith,for correcting this info before Pinside radicals could go off the rails for the next week.

It went off the rails in 4 minutes, lol.

#936 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I’ll check again but audio works on other vids

Which specific video(s) are you trying that has no audio? All the pinball news ones I've tried (but I haven't tried them all) sound fine.

#937 4 years ago

What's the story behind the girl with the crazy hair? Seen her before.... In the biz?

#938 4 years ago

It went off the rails in 4 minutes, lol.

That’s Pinside for you. Sorry we aren’t all like that. Please keep coming on! Thanks for clarifying as well.

#939 4 years ago
    Quoted from Slim2013:

Please post some Quicksilver WW and restored photos ! Thanks

the quicksilver that derek had at the show is not a whitewood. the artwork was blown out and sanded off (I have firsthand knowledge of this from the people who removed the artwork

#940 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

What's the story behind the girl with the crazy? Seen her before.... In the biz?

crazy hair? She's a former NY local who now gets hired by Marco/Stern to work the booths.

#941 4 years ago

Yes hair..... Corrected my post thanks

#942 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Anybody fallen asleep watching BK in the tournament??

Just a horrible choice for a tournament game, from both a playing and streaming angle.

BKSOR pro is a fine tournament and streaming game. BKPerpetual Edition is not.

When are people going to put a little more consideration into what is going to make for a fun to watch tournament bank? At NYCPC this is one of the main considerations we put into assembling our game banks, and it shows during finals/broadcast stream. You may not want a Rolling Stones Stern in your basement, but it's a good streaming game. You might find Walking Dead to be too tough for your wife and kids to enjoy, but it makes for good TV. Stuff like Alien Star, Quicksilver, and other classics of that era are always going to be fun to watch, due to the simple rules, easy to watch action, luck involved and the relative rarity of even a great player blowing them up.

It’s really starting to get frustrating. It’s getting harder and harder to try to convince people tournament pinball can be fun to watch when through bad game choice and sleep-inducing commentating teams so many organizers seem to be going out of their way to prove me wrong.

It's not rocket science. Games with only one way to play, or games with one thing that easily exploitable for hour long games by top players = bad. Games with one shot players will make over and over again, or where you shoot endlessly up the middle like X-files or Breakshot = bad. Games with different ways to play or that behoove players to makes shots all across the playfield = good. Machines where marathon games by excellent players are going to be the exception and worth getting excited about also = good.

If we can't take a little care to allow these highest of profile tournaments the possibility of being interesting for viewers, how can we expect to move this ahead as a spectator event? You'll never be able to guarantee good TV or high drama, but you can at least attempt to set the stage for it if things go your way.

#943 4 years ago

Jersey Jack presentation is up:

#944 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Score to beat on The Circus Tiger is 2,754,800. If you haven’t played this game, definitely get there and play it.

The game is a clone of Gottlieb's Tiger of 1975, an Italy-only product that has the playfield layout of Orbit/Outer Space but with unique artwork.
    https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2560
    In the backglass, there are five large yellow circles near the bottom that are the "five similar objects" to implement the Italian add-a-ball system.
    .................David Marston

#945 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just a horrible choice for a tournament game, from both a playing and streaming angle.
    When are people going to put a little more consideration into what is going to make for a fun to watch tournament bank? At NYCPC this is one of the main considerations we put into assembling our game banks, and it shows during finals/broadcast stream. You may not want a Rolling Stones Stern in your basement, but it's a good streaming game. You might find Walking Dead to be too tough for your wife and kids to enjoy, but it makes for good TV. Stuff like Alien Star, Quicksilver, and other classics of that era are always going to be fun to watch, due to the simple rules, easy to watch action, luck involved and the relative rarity of even a great player blowing them up.
    It’s really starting to get frustrating. It’s getting harder and harder to try to convince people tournament pinball can be fun to watch when through bad game choice and sleep-inducing commentating teams so many organizers seem to be going out of their way to prove me wrong.
    It's not rocket science. Games with only one way to play, or games with one thing that easily exploitable for hour long games by top players = bad. Games with one shot players will make over and over again, or where you shoot endlessly up the middle like X-files or Breakshot = bad. Games with different ways to play or that behoove players to makes shots all across the playfield = good. Machines where marathon games by excellent players are going to be the exception and worth getting excited about also = good.
    If we can't take a little care to allow these highest of profile tournaments the possibility of being interesting for viewers, how can we expect to move this ahead as a spectator event? You'll never be able to guarantee good TV or high drama, but you can at least attempt to set the stage for it if things go your way.

Agree.

I love watching top tournament players in end stages of a tournament.

But, that BKSOR was one of the most boring games I have ever watched.

Good way to put people off watching for sure.

#946 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

What's the story behind the girl with the crazy hair? Seen her before.... In the biz?

I recently resigned from Marco to pursue my own business. I’ve loved pinball since I was a kid and I’ve been doing game restoration since 2006 and I started powder coating in 2018

#947 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Jersey Jack presentation is up:

The presentation bluetooth headphone and intenet code update demos are PAINFUL. These would have been so much more impactful and informative as produced 1-2 minute videos, and it wouldn't have brought the presentation to a screeching halt. JJP has the resources to pull that off. Maybe an afternoon TOTAL for shooting and editing. No idea why they don't do it. Their overall presentation would benefit so much.

#948 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When are people going to put a little more consideration into what is going to make for a fun to watch tournament bank? At NYCPC this is one of the main considerations we put into assembling our game banks, and it shows during finals/broadcast stream. You may not want a Rolling Stones Stern in your basement, but it's a good streaming game. You might find Walking Dead to be too tough for your wife and kids to enjoy, but it makes for good TV. Stuff like Alien Star, Quicksilver, and other classics of that era are always going to be fun to watch, due to the luck involved and the relative rarity of even a great player blowing them up.
    It's not rocket science. Games with only one way to play, or games with one thing that easily exploitable for hour long games by top players = bad. Games with one shot players will make over and over again, or where you shoot endlessly up the middle like X-files or Breakshot = bad. Games with different ways to play or that behoove players to makes shots all across the playfield = good. machines where marathon games by excellent players are going to be the exception and worth getting excited about also = good.
    If we can't take a little care to allow these highest of profile tournaments the possibility of being interesting for viewers, how can we expect to move this ahead as a spectator event?

they asked for pro's but stern only had premiums - i didn't think it was that bad and its only a handful of players that can do this successfully, Simon when you are down at my house we'll stream you play BK:SOR LE and see what score you can get LOL.

Tim was watching so I'm sure he'll change things so there is more balance to it.

#949 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The presentation bluetooth headphone and intenet code update demos are PAINFUL. These would have been so much more impactful and informative as produced 1-2 minute videos, and it wouldn't have brought the presentation to a screeching halt. JJP has the resources to pull that off. Maybe an afternoon TOTAL for shooting and editing. No idea why they don't do it. Their overall presentation would benefit so much.

JJP is not known for their presentations that for sure... (ahem Dialed In)

#950 4 years ago

thanks Keith.

There are 1,254 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2019-pinball-expo-thread/page/19?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.