IMG_0847 (resized).JPG
IMG_0845 (resized).JPG
IMG_0842 (resized).JPG
20180331_150405.jpg
photo_2018-03-31_15-11-32 (resized).jpg
photo_2018-03-31_15-12-23 (resized).jpg
photo_2018-03-31_15-12-29 (resized).jpg
photo_2018-03-31_15-11-18 (resized).jpg
There are 1,746 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 35.
#201 7 years ago

What's the block? 300 rooms? Hotel gets $50k a year in advance in non-refundable deposits. Wow.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Actually on Saturday after lunch the garage was completely full and we drove around it a couple times waiting for someone to back out so we could get a spot. Being a hotel guest and having the garage space sold out for $5 a visitor was actually pretty annoying. On the flip side I heard people complaining they spent the $5 for parking but never could find a space. Next year I will not be driving anywhere on Saturday so my truck can just stay parked without worrying about getting back in.
It'd probably be best if the parking garage was reserved for hotel guests and exhibitors/vendors as another perk. General parking could be across the street and would limit a lot of the traffic that was 'lost' trying to find parking and avoid the reserved food truck areas.

I left about 7am and got back about 9am on Saturday and was able to park about five spots away from where I'd left at. Admittedly, around lunch time I wasn't anywhere near the room - it sucks that you weren't able to find anywhere to park.

What's amusing to me is that without the TPF negotiated free parking, the hotel charges guests ten dollars a day to park - but it was all open for five dollar parking both Saturday and Sunday.

#203 7 years ago

Booked at Embassy Suites. Woot!

#204 7 years ago

Booked.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Pfft. Yeah..I can just imagine the room rates at the actual Gaylord. And yes, the road is called Gaylord, because it's nearby, but that wasn't where TPF was...
If you were to book @ Gaylord Texan next year for TPF weekend, check in on Thursday, 3 night stay, their online rate right now is 861 bucks... I'd expect MAYBE MAAAAAYBE 750 discounted rate? There's just no way in hell I'd be staying there, and I bet many would agree that over 200 bucks a night is completely ludicrous. Let's all hope it never comes to that....
*Edit* When your hotel room costs as much or more as renting an apartment for a month...

Their event rates are much lower. QuakeCon is only $185 a night. Much more then I want to pay, but again, I'd rather spend my money on games then a room I will only see for a few hours every night.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

might rent an RV instead of UHaul
i'll be the guy living in a van down by the river.

Sounds like a plan. I'd offer to bunk with you... but know your have a drinking hobby.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm booked at the Hyatt!

Emily and Dr John are booked at the Embassy! Catch you and that party girl you call a wife there Beelz - I'm sure you'll be close by during the happy hour....

#208 7 years ago

Suggestion for next year.

Any chance we can get a side tournament added next year and also, for final brackets. I really think they should add the limitation that you can only pick a game once. Adds to the strategy and would do away with the same games being played over and over and over and over and over.... I really like the strategy it adds too.

Maybe make the side tournament a pump in dump thing with the majority of the funds being paid out to those that completed in that format. May get a few more people into tournament play since it's less financial output upfront. Maybe just a bank of 3 or 4 games since it's a side tournament.

#209 7 years ago

The "key" post we've all been eagerly waiting for !!

343 days till TPF 2018. Happy palindrome countdown day. We made it. Whew...

Looking good there Mr Palindrome Pinball Player...

palindrome-1.jpgpalindrome-1.jpg

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

The "key" post we've all been eagerly waiting for !!
343 days till TPF 2018. Happy palindrome countdown day. We made it. Whew...
Looking good there Mr Palindrome Pinball Player...

That picture is me, but in reverse.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That picture is me, but in reverse.

don't be so blue

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

don't be so blue

If "blue"="fat", then all I can say is I'm trying.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

don't be so blue

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...
» YouTube video

blue-man-group-1 (resized).jpgblue-man-group-1 (resized).jpg

#215 7 years ago

More tournament recommendations:

Have a time to check in by so he standby players will have an answer by a certain time. This didn't affect me but did some friends.

Also, and I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but I heard about people scalping their tournament entry. This shouldn't be allowed. If you don't play, the entry should go to the waiting list.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Have a time to check in by so he standby players will have an answer by a certain time. This didn't affect me but did some friends.
Also, and I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but I heard about people scalping their tournament entry. This shouldn't be allowed. If you don't play, the entry should go to the waiting list.

Not sure I favor that, because what if you don't get in to Texas until Saturday? You shouldn't be required to play on Friday. Maybe people want to wait and rest up before starting.

That said... I recommend playing a few entries on Friday (at least) so that you don't run up against the deadline. I had one entry left (played 19 of 20) before the deadline hit on Saturday.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

That's a tough one as someone has every right to show up at noon on Sat and put in just 8 games and qualify if they are capable of doing that. Not everyone can get there on Friday and it actually felt like this year a lot of players did just play on Sat. I get there early and do most of my playing Friday so i don't have to sit in the long lines on sat though. Good point though but not sure how they can accommodate it.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

Agree 100%. You register for the ticket to play so they know whom should be playing so not even sure how that could have occurred unless they were updating players. If someone wants to back out then it should go to the waiting list so that's a real good suggestion IMHO.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Not sure I favor that, because what if you don't get in to Texas until Saturday? You shouldn't be required to play on Friday. Maybe people want to wait and rest up before starting.
That said... I recommend playing a few entries on Friday (at least) so that you don't run up against the deadline. I had one entry left (played 19 of 20) before the deadline hit on Saturday.

Quoted from 85vett:

That's a tough one as someone has every right to show up at noon on Sat and put in just 8 games and qualify if they are capable of doing that. Not everyone can get there on Friday and it actually felt like this year a lot of players did just play on Sat. I get there early and do most of my playing Friday so i don't have to sit in the long lines on sat though. Good point though but not sure how they can accommodate it.

I don't disagree. If you're not attempting to qualify by noon on Saturday, you probably won't. I played 7 qualifying games on Friday and 13 on Saturday.

Maybe an email from the TD asking people to confirm their spots by a certain time?

#219 7 years ago

Just opened our rooms at Hilton Garden Inn, just across the street. Rates: $139/$149 http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/D/DFWFRGI-PIN18-20180315/index.jhtml

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I don't disagree. If you're not attempting to qualify by noon on Saturday, you probably won't. I played 7 qualifying games on Friday and 13 on Saturday.
Maybe an email from the TD asking people to confirm their spots by a certain time?

You mean another email asking you if you really really want what you just paid for? Not sure that's fair, either. If you paid for it, it's yours. You shouldn't have to depend on getting an email to make sure you secured your spot after paying for it.

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

You mean another email asking you if you really really want what you just paid for? Not sure that's fair, either. If you paid for it, it's yours. You shouldn't have to depend on getting an email to make sure you secured your spot after paying for it.

Then why have a waiting list? I'm not offering answers, just throwing out ideas. I pay so I don't have to worry about the logistics.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Then why have a waiting list? I'm not offering answers, just throwing out ideas. I pay so I don't have to worry about the logistics.

If people on the list wish to cancel, I would guess. Personally I hate the hassle of having to confirm (or re-confirm) something I've already confirmed with my dollars.

And call me crazy, but I don't remember there being a time at this year's TPF where the lines were very short for the tourney. The dang bank of games was booked solid the entire time. Individual machines may have had lulls on them, but getting even more people into that tourney on the same number of machines this year would have been very difficult. It's not like there was a whole lot of "lost opportunity" in terms of people who wanted to pay in late not getting to play.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

If people on the list wish to cancel, I would guess. Personally I hate the hassle of having to confirm (or re-confirm) something I've already confirmed with my dollars.
And call me crazy, but I don't remember there being a time at this year's TPF where the lines were very short for the tourney. The dang bank of games was booked solid the entire time. Individual machines may have had lulls on them, but getting even more people into that tourney on the same number of machines this year would have been very difficult. It's not like there was a whole lot of "lost opportunity" in terms of people who wanted to pay in late not getting to play.

That's because there were grumblings about people scalping their tournament entry and that this was allowed. As I indicated, what I heard. I've got no personal knowledge.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

That's because there were grumblings about people scalping their tournament entry and that this was allowed. As I indicated, what I heard. I've got no personal knowledge.

Only 2 tourney entries were transferred to other players. We do not know if they were "scalped", but we never really thought about that happening. All others that backed out were refunded to the original purchaser and the next person on the wait list was contacted and charged $60.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Only 2 tourney entries were transferred to other players. We do not know if they were "scalped", but we never really thought about that happening. All others that backed out were refunded to the original purchaser and the next person on the wait list was contacted and charged $60.

I was told $100.

The reason I brought it up is that, while at the show, I heard people talking about purchasing tournament entries for the sole purpose of flipping them next year.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I was told $100.
The reason I brought it up is that, while at the show, I heard people talking about purchasing tournament entries for the sole purpose of flipping them next year.

Such a shame that people in this hobby are always trying to take a buck out of their fellow hobbyist pocket.

I'm of the opinion that if their is a "wait list" that no transfers should be allowed. Just a refund to the original buyer and the next person on the wait list gets the spot. You should be able to give to a friend but since their really is no way to police that and prevent exploit then that really should be the policy (no transfers).

It is a good thing that that's the only issue from the tournament now. Just goes to show just how good of a Job Ken and Colin have done getting it on track!

#227 7 years ago

i just had the craziest dream
that TPF 2017 already happened
and I forgot to plan for TPF 2018 !!

342 days till TPF 2018.

bert-beach-1.pngbert-beach-1.png

#228 7 years ago

Here's a way to spend 1 hour while you're chillin' at the beach waiting for TPF 2018...

from 1 of our own:
Listen to this while playing your games.
click the MP3 player at bottom/left of the page. Can you name every game mixed in?

https://www.tablist.net/audio/jbs-jockin-80s

music-1 (resized).pngmusic-1 (resized).png

#229 7 years ago

Maybe Arnold will be a guest at TPF 2029 ?

341 days till TPF 2018.
11 years & 341 days to TPF 2029

terminator-1 (resized).jpgterminator-1 (resized).jpg

#230 7 years ago

340 days till TPF 2018.

i picked up a few games today. have to get 'em ready for TPF.

many-bb-170409-1 (resized).jpgmany-bb-170409-1 (resized).jpg

#231 7 years ago

Wait, I thought some of those were mine.

#232 7 years ago

339 days till TPF 2018.

Happy Siblings Day, from an only child...

siblings-day-1 (resized).jpgsiblings-day-1 (resized).jpg

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Wait, I thought some of those were mine.

Ironically, he just got a Gorf cabaret which had the parts we needed to fix the hacked up one we sold.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ironically, he just got a Gorf cabaret which had the parts we needed to fix the hacked up one we sold.

this little thang?

gorf-bb-1 (resized).jpggorf-bb-1 (resized).jpg

#235 7 years ago

Would rather have Tetris.

#236 7 years ago

Looking to buy a hat from the 2016 show. My dog ate mine. I see on the website there's a place for past show merchandise but nothing is listed.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Looking to buy a hat from the 2016 show. My dog ate mine. I see on the website there's a place for past show merchandise but nothing is listed.

sold out, sorry
was very popular

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

You should be looking to buy a dog.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Bwah-ah-aaaaah! Nyuk, nyuk nyuk! Nanna-nanna boo boo!
WP_20170410_19_10_42_Pro[1] (resized).jpgWP_20170410_19_10_42_Pro[1] (resized).jpg

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You should be looking to buy a dog.

Can't help but forgive that face..

20170410_211823 (resized).jpg20170410_211823 (resized).jpg

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Bwah-ah-aaaaah! Nyuk, nyuk nyuk! Nanna-nanna boo boo!

Still wearable right??? At least when the wife's not around

149187366004695978870 (resized).jpg149187366004695978870 (resized).jpg

#242 7 years ago

Ignoring the pinball logo, you'd fit right in most of Texas with that hat...

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Yep, people pay good money for that look. On our vacation to Big Bend a few weeks back my wife wanted to buy a hat from the bookstore, but all of the caps were of the "distressed" style, which is not what she was seeking. Butch2099 should rent out the dog as a "distressing tool!"

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Still wearable right??? At least when the wife's not around

The dog has amazing modern fashion sense! The cap is now worth over $100 in NYC.

#245 7 years ago

Think she was referring to the UT colors, not the physical condition.

#246 7 years ago

labnip hasn't posted in 19 hours. I do hope he's okay.

LTG : )

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

labnip hasn't posted in 19 hours. I do hope he's okay.

trying to noodle a pithy united airlines tie-in to today's count-down post...
any ideas?

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

trying to noodle a pithy united airlines tie-in to today's count-down post...
any ideas?

Fly the friendly skies of United. No need to wait to get beaten in the Texas Pinball Festival tournament. We can make that happen before you even get there.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Still missing the fish hook but it's getting closer to acceptable.

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Think she was referring to the UT colors, not the physical condition.

Colors didn't even enter my train of thought. It was the condition. You forget where I grew up at. o.o

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,746 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2018-texas-pinball-festival/page/5?hl=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.