4D6B128C-0BB6-42BA-A3B7-7A201122C818 (resized).jpg
IMG_3564 (resized).JPG
WP_20170327_19_53_30_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_21_42_52_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_14_57_23_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170324_19_08_02_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170326_13_43_16_Pro (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #54 Map to nearby hotel locations. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #66 Link to registration info. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #79 Dennis Nordman announcement. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #82 Mark Ritchie announcement. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #107 Greg Freres announcement. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #111 Cassandra Peterson (actress who plays Elvira) announcement. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #129 George Gomez announcement. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #152 John Trudeau announcement. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #159 Exhibitors giveaway information and how to register as an exhibitor. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Post #162 Tournament information. Posted by Ed_in_Texas (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#257 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

that's the booth next to mine.

I did not know you were going to be set up next to the Pinside booth

3 weeks later
#396 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I don't even know that I saw the final game list from last year, to be honest.. but yeah...it's a fine line. It's nice to have the "popular" common games that everyone knows the rules for, but at the same time it gets BORING to play the same 10-15 DMD games over and over and over again. On the flipside, it's really irritating to walk up to a game like...oh..Capersville...where the rules are totally WTF to 80%+ of players, and then on top of that, doesn't it carry over balls in the top saucers from *game to game* too? I don't have an issue with stealable locks in a match play format, as long as they can be reset each game/round, but games that do that have no place in a 'score-for-points' single player qualifying format, IMO. Those are the type of things I would like to NOT see.
One thing is a given about TPF: Usually new games are going to be in the tourney area regardless of how terrible their rulesets might be, and there will usually be at least 2 games in the Solid Sate or EMs that I just see sitting there and shake my head. I don't expect this year will be different.

I suggest with this format that you see what you can do to be official helper and play tester for the games. That will get you some warm up time to learn feeds and skillshots. Limited entry format, means that will help greatly. Good luck frax! Tough competition in TX!

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yes...hoping that if I make a finals that it gets finished on the same day it starts...ha. Hopefully everyone else feels that way too...felt like I was definitely the odd man out on that 2 years ago. I obviously wasn't around last year but there's really no better way to kill a hot streak than saying "Come back tomorrow morning!" Probably a good reason why I shouldn't ever bother attending Pinburgh.
Part of me kind of hopes I DON'T make the finals, because I've yet to attend a TPF where I just got to chew the fat and play pinball...has always been about the tournaments and...bleh.

Tournament was run well and effeciently last year. Only things I see left to fix is not allow those setting up and play testing the games to also compete as it provides a huge advantage. Since this is a circuit event it would be good to make that change IMO. Or maybe just limit those people to being able to play for the era specific prizes but not qualify for the main event.

1 month later
#663 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

So clearly you play 8 pins at least once. The strategy comes in how do you spend your other 12 plays. Should you play all 12 pins or focus on 8? Try to improve bad scores after your first 8 plays? Replay pins you feel you can do better, even if your first score isn't bad? Focus on one pin and try to get a top score? Give up and go to the bar!?
Watch out, I'm gunning for the novice trophy!

IMO best strategy is to voulenteer to assist with set up and tweaking of games so you can learn feeds and general feel fo each game prior to using your entries. The limited entry format provides an advantage for those that set up. We run a similar style event in the Madison region and have gone to a change where all games are available for a warm up period prior to actual event qualifying start. Without that leveled playing field of warm up opportunity before qualifying, then best chance is to get an inside dig on each game by helping with setup.

Aside from that, I woudl focus on the games you know best. I see nothing wrong with playing them all and then using your mulligans on the ones you liked best. For TPF your time is best spent not fretting over the tourney too much IMO. Lots of other fun stuff to do and see. You could also wait and opt to use a few mulligans till later once you see how others are panning out and play what you think provides your best chance to put up a ringer.

#667 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Good luck with that... I've made this argument for years and given up on it. Fact is, the people willing to be TDs are limited to start with, and every last one of them is a consistent tourney player. So if you remove their ability to play, why are they going to just waste their time playing?
If you REALLY wanted to discuss something about this specific event (and I suppose past ones), why doesn't anyone ask if people are being paid to run the tournament, in addition to their playing in it. I know it's happened before. No idea about last year or this year. That's the part to me that makes no sense...TD wants to play, and is capable of winning a large tournament, they're running? Great....but when they also get paid TO run the tourney...that's when it's crossed into an ethical grey zone for me personally, after ~6 years of playing in tournaments and running them. And no, I don't expect to change anyone's mind and I'm not lobbying to tell TPF or any other large venue what to do. I'm just saying that beyond some predictable compensation, like free passes and maybe a room, it bothers me that one or two people are picking the games, dealing with setup of said games, getting paid to do it, AND participating in the tournament with inside knowledge of how the games play and are set up. But it's also not my decision, at all, and I know I can't sway the minds of the decision makers, and clearly IFPA's never had a beef..so..I consider my opinion just my opinion, and leave it at that.
Also, I figure if I can beat someone on games they've set up, that's just more bragging rights for me. =Þ

I always think the best way to level the playing field it to allow 2 hours of open play on all the games for tourney players prior to actual qualifying. It is a great way to level the field and help take away the inate advantage from TDs that set up and play in these limited entry type events.

Best case scenario is to pay a TD and coTD to setup all the games, test them all, and then they dont play in the event. Unfortunately, I have to think it is tough to be able to pay out a TD for that amuont of work. It also does not work when a TD cant earn as much $$$ in pay as they can my winning (plus the added bragging rights, IFPA points, and trophy).

Comes back to a few hours of open play testing being a really good way to run these for profit/ pay out events.

1 week later
#798 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Ummmmm ... that's not happening.
The game they are bringing is Jetsons. Which isn't a "Spooky" game as such.
Reference: Spooky podcast.
rd

.?.???

Ithought they were announcing?

#1145 7 years ago

price on the pitch and bat?

#1157 7 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I read $4800 in another thread if I remember correctly - think they are also making a non zombie themed one as well for a couple hundo less

thanks

(but no thanks)

#1359 7 years ago

do you have actual dates? My wife has to plan PTO so far in advance it is stupid. If there are actual dates solidified, it would be great to know them ASAP.

Thanks for the thread and photos form all that are there.

#1464 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Some would say the guy's a dick. Others would say, getting to know him will enrich your life and make you a better person.

some will say both

#1485 7 years ago

how much is the cash prixe range for this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2017-texas-pinball-festival?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.