4D6B128C-0BB6-42BA-A3B7-7A201122C818 (resized).jpg
IMG_3564 (resized).JPG
WP_20170327_19_53_30_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_21_42_52_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_14_57_23_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170324_19_08_02_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170326_13_43_16_Pro (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,522 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 31.
#301 7 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Here is a question - how does the toll highway system deal with out of state drivers?

Pretty sure they should capture your driver plate & mail you an invoice. If they didn't... you're probably off the hook. Or might get a .50 cent invoice a month later...

#302 7 years ago

Here is a question - how does the toll highway system deal with out of state drivers? When I attended TPF two years ago I cruised right down the Dallas North Tollway all the way to the hotel but on the way out I took the outer road. I half expected something to show up in the mail but it never did. My luck I have a warrant out. Seriously though, I would like to be educated this time around. Anyone local care to explain how it works? I suppose I could google it. Nah, too lazy.

Texas Tollways will typically mail a bill to the address on record for the license plate number.

So you got lucky last time. Maybe the camera failed to pick up all the numbers on your plate or something.

Marcus

#303 7 years ago

Yes, regarding tolls... sometimes I've gotten a bill and sometimes I've not. Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned. They're not like the Student Loan people when it comes to tracking people down. If you get a bill, pay it. If you don't, relax.

#304 7 years ago

how does the toll highway system deal with out of state drivers?

Not sure about in your own car, but for rental cars driving the toll road the answer is "not well". I think I went through something like $1.5 in tolls from Love field up to the show last year and got a supplemental bill from a company set up to look like a gov't agency (called the "highway toll administration LLC") in excess of $20. I'm pretty sure the toll road in Denver is set up with a similar eye toward extorting from the out-of-towner and I kinda remember Orlando being similar too. Would be nice if I could bring my ezPass but to my knowledge none of these toll metering fobs work nationwide.

-Rob
-visit me at TPF! or at http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions

#305 7 years ago

Steve Ritchie announced! It wouldn't be TPF without him!

http://texaspinball.com/tpf/steveritchienuffsaid/

IMG_6893 (resized).JPGIMG_6893 (resized).JPG

#306 7 years ago

Preview of the 2017 Texas Pinball Festival collectable Challenge Coin based on the 1985 Williams "Sorcerer" pin designed by TPF2017 special guest Mark Ritchie! TPF Exhibitors will each receive a coin with the purple enameled back. Eligible Volunteers will each receive a coin with the red enameled back. A limited number of 100 coins with the black enameled back will be available for purchase very soon!
http://www.texaspinball.com

IMG_6903.JPGIMG_6903.JPG

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Steve Ritchie announced! It wouldn't be TPF without him!
http://texaspinball.com/tpf/steveritchienuffsaid/

"Spider Trek of Thrones, you're terminated!"

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

"Spider Trek of Thrones, you're terminated!"

Have No Fear, Spider Trek of Thrones, you're Teminated ... by F14 Tomcats!

rd

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

recommendations around the whole of Texas

Czech Stop in West, TX. If you drive from Dallas to Austin, you'll pass it before you get to Waco. Kolaches are the BOMB.

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Kolaches are the BOMB.

I had to google them to see what they are.

Look good!

We are going to Waco. Gotta go see those "fixer upper" dudes.

Houses look soooo cheap there. Is it a good place to live?

rd

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Is it a good place to live?

I'm not sure I can answer this without getting banned, honestly. I've lived in Dallas my entire life. I f'ing hate it, for many reasons.

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Is it a good place to live?

Texas in general or Waco?

My .02:
Texas:
Reasonable real estate.
Reasonable weather.
No income tax.
Major cities/metroplexes with diverse industries / lots of jobs.
Lots of open land too if that is your thing.

I have seen a lot of the US. I've lived in 3 states and travel quite a bit for work. I'm a Texan by choice.

Plus we have the best pinball festival of course! (But the Dallas pinball scene is pretty weak outside TPF).

Waco:
I don't know much about it. Too small for my tastes. It is famous for two things: Baylor University and Branch Davidians (a cult the government clashed with back in the 90s). I guess you could say 3 things if you include that fixer upper show.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

But the Dallas pinball scene is pretty weak outside TPF

Whose f...ing fault is that? How many bloody people here never show up to events unless it's involving about 90 gallons of alcohol?

Hell, has the "DFW Pinball and Arcade Club" had a single event in the last TWO YEARS, outside of going to TPF, to actually *PLAY PINBALL* that wasn't run by Ken, Marcus, or myself?!!? I'm honestly not even sure.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Whose f...ing fault is that? How many bloody people here never show up to events unless it's involving about 90 gallons of alcohol?
Hell, has the "DFW Pinball and Arcade Club" had a single event in the last TWO YEARS, outside of going to TPF, to actually *PLAY PINBALL* that wasn't run by Ken, Marcus, or myself?!!? I'm honestly not even sure.

I'm not referring to the league / party stuff. We have a great collector community but location play options are quite limited especially for a city/metro of our size.

#316 7 years ago

That's the problem...while we might have a good number of collectors, the bigger issue is that the majority of them are effectively social hermits or eliteists that run with their own 'in-crowd'. They don't openly host, they don't go to other events. I know Nickelrama can be EXTREMELY annoying at times with the noise and all the kids, but it's all we've freakin' got! We wouldn't need a big huge location if this was not the case, in my opinion anyways. I'd love for that to change, but I don't have the resources to do it. If there was something that was more central and had 15-20 pins and served alcohol, it might be profitable, but capital and licences and etc etc put anything like that way out of my reach.

It's been nice to see more people over there at Nickelrama, I wish I could make Louis' leagues when he runs them, but I work on the weekends, not by choice. >_<

I'd never in a million years tell anyone interested in having pinball as a social part of their life to live in Dallas. Go to Austin or Houston. Come up here for the one thing that actually matters, it's not that far.

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Hell, has the "DFW Pinball and Arcade Club" had a single event in the last TWO YEARS, outside of going to TPF, to actually *PLAY PINBALL* that wasn't run by Ken, Marcus, Louis, or myself?

FTFY.

#318 7 years ago

Fair enough. Thanks biatch.

#319 7 years ago

It's what I'm here for. <3

#320 7 years ago

Austin, Texas has pinball machines coming outta our ears.
Pins are everywhere at locations in town. Austin has strong/healthy sized tournament events at multiple locations.
Austin even has it's own Pinball Manufacturing company, Multimorphic.

But, I'd say there's a stronger (more social & larger collector) pinball community in Dallas, then in Houston, then Austin. And a few in San Antonio.

ps. Waco, Texas has a seriously wacked-out history. A few examples:
a. ) heavily armed religious nuts vs tanks

b. ) heavily armed biker gangs vs each other

Would recommend gassing up in Dallas and just driving right on through to Austin.
It's still the wild-wild west out here. yippie-ki-yay

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

It's still the wild-wild west out here. yippie-ki-yay

Maybe it'd be better if it was called "Wacko"?

I watched a comprehensive doco on the Branch Davidians a few months back. Pretty mucked up!

Look forward to checking it out!

rd

#322 7 years ago

Fort Worth is cool. Great museums and downtown area... go spend some time there talking to people. They have a lot to say and will look you in the eye with genuine curiosity.

As far as Dallas is concerned, I find it to be emotionally dysfunctional. Yes, plenty of cheap homes, good employment, and numerous restaurants here... but the culture is one of sleepwalking through life.

Come see the Dallas World Aquarium and maybe the Nasher art gallery at the very least. And have a drink atop Reunion Tower for the view. Then run for the exit.

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I watched a comprehensive doco on the Branch Davidians a few months back. Pretty mucked up!
Look forward to checking it out!
rd

That's how we pronounce it

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

...any more recommendations around the whole of Texas?

Pinballz Arcade two large locations in Austin + Buffalo Billiards on 6th street (Bat City Pinball league on Sundays)
Kayaking on Lady Bird lake (Zilker park boat rentals)
Salt Lick bbq and County Line bbq
Bullock Texas State history museum
If you like jazz visit the Elephant Room http://elephantroom.com/
Hamilton Pool is a nice hiking/swimming hole
Enchanted Rock is a great hiking spot.

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Everyone else in TX has been calling it that for decades.

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Widening the horizon, any more recommendations around the whole of Texas? We will be hitting most of the main areas on the 3 week trip ...
rd

Buc-ee's..... any and all of them. The one near Waco on I-35 is one of newest and largest. You will never look at a gas station the same again. Just look/follow this beaver. You can't miss him!

IMG_5966 (resized).JPGIMG_5966 (resized).JPG

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Buc-ee's..... any and all of them.

I never actually stopped at one until last year when lo and behold there's one between Corpus Christi and Houston. Now it is a must stop every time we go to the Houston show. What's not to like? There's a fudge counter, jerky counter, food of all description... hell, there's even a Frito Pie bar! I'll have to check out the Waco one on the way to TPF this year.

Quoted from rotordave:

We are going to Waco. Gotta go see those "fixer upper" dudes.

My wife promises a slow and painful death if we drive through Waco again without stopping at "The Silos."

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Just look/follow this beaver

That's the whole point of my life ...

rd

#329 7 years ago

The problem with Texas is the speed limits are low compared to other states and the highway patrols are aggressive. Avoid the state whenever going to Colorado. Take interstate 40 which just nicks the state.

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

The problem with Texas is the speed limits are low compared to other states and the highway patrols are aggressive. Avoid the state whenever going to Colorado. Take interstate 40 which just nicks the state.

Funny. Texas is 75. All of Arkansas (big chunk of I40) is 70.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

The problem with Texas is the speed limits are low compared to other states and the highway patrols are aggressive.

The latter may be true but the former certainly is not as Nexus said.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States

#332 7 years ago

Then again, haven't driven that route since 1998. Getting old.....

#333 7 years ago

Who is Nexus?

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Who is Nexus?

Not who, what! It's where Kirk got sent when the Enterprise hit it? And then Picard went there too and they had to magic their asses back to reality?

Star_Trek_Generations_Soran_Nexus_Motivational (resized).jpgStar_Trek_Generations_Soran_Nexus_Motivational (resized).jpg

#336 7 years ago

The TPF2017 Commemorative Challenge Coin is now available! Only 100 were minted. Shipping is available or we can add it to your 2017 order for pick up at the show!

http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tpfstore/#!/2017-Commemorative-Challenge-Coin/p/78705561/category=1009083

IMG_6898.JPGIMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6899.JPGIMG_6899.JPG

#337 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Funny. Texas is 75. All of Arkansas (big chunk of I40) is 70.

I'll give him some credit. Our speed limits are high but I rarely get to go the speed limit. It's an Austin thing. Come here for the entertainment but be prepared to spend your life in traffic....

As for Waco - Outskirts are nice if you like more of the country feel but Waco itself is not somewhere I'd want to live. Their Zoo is really nice though so it's a must stop if you have kids.

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

The TPF2017 Commemorative Challenge Coin is now available! Only 100 were minted. Shipping is available or we can add it to your 2017 order for pick up at the show!
http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tpfstore/#!/2017-Commemorative-Challenge-Coin/p/78705561/category=1009083

Challenge coin accepted.

#339 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

t's an Austin thing. Come here for the entertainment but be prepared to spend your life in traffic....

Dallas is just as bad in that regard. And ERMAGERD RAIN BETTER DRIVE 10 MILES AN HOUR.

And crap, I just noticed that I borked myself by earning some IFPA points and now I won't be able to qualify for B division. Oops. >=p

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Dallas is just as bad in that regard. And ERMAGERD RAIN BETTER DRIVE 10 MILES AN HOUR.
And crap, I just noticed that I borked myself by earning some IFPA points and now I won't be able to qualify for B division. Oops. >=p

Isn't B division cut-off 500 points? If so, it's been a long times since you were that high. You should suck more like me, then you don't have to worry about breaking 500 Shoot, only reason I went from 933 to 616 is I'm getting monthly league points.

To keep this somewhat on topic. Do we know when the tournament games will be announced? Need some time to read up on rules.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

These coins are totally awesome.
I have several years of them.

#342 7 years ago

Do the coins fit in Safecracker? That would be a bonus.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do the coins fit in Safecracker? That would be a bonus.

These do.

IMG_1212 (resized).PNGIMG_1212 (resized).PNG

#345 7 years ago

cha-ching

#346 7 years ago

No fair... you gotta earn 'em! :p

Despite a number of tries, I only got one last year. Not gonna put it back in!

(but will try for more this year)

#347 7 years ago

Safecracker, the machine that I could spend hours in front of.

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

No fair... you gotta earn 'em! :p
Despite a number of tries, I only got one last year. Not gonna put it back in!
(but will try for more this year)

Safe Cracker will be there! Agreed, we love seeing folks win the tokens, but many SC owners want a few to add to their SC game so we made them available.

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Isn't B division cut-off 500 points? If so, it's been a long times since you were that high. You should suck more like me, then you don't have to worry about breaking 500 Shoot, only reason I went from 933 to 616 is I'm getting monthly league points.
To keep this somewhat on topic. Do we know when the tournament games will be announced? Need some time to read up on rules.

I was around 400 at one point recently. Let's be honest though... would I really be satisfied with winning B division? No, other Frax, I wouldn't.

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I was around 400 at one point recently. Let's be honest though... would I really be satisfied with winning B division? No, other Frax, I wouldn't.

y'all coming this year?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 300.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 34.99
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 1,522 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2017-texas-pinball-festival/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.