4D6B128C-0BB6-42BA-A3B7-7A201122C818 (resized).jpg
IMG_3564 (resized).JPG
WP_20170327_19_53_30_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_21_42_52_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_14_57_23_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170324_19_08_02_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170326_13_43_16_Pro (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,522 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 31.
#1451 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

My two cents - I have been attending TPF since 2012 and showing machines since 2013. With every year it gets bigger and better and more enjoyable.

From the Meet and Greet Friday afternoon until packout Sunday afternoon I get no sleep and complete joy out of almost every minute. The machines are fantastic and the people are even better. To all the old friends I saw and the new ones I met I cannot wait until we play together again. The small world we live on gets just a little smaller and friendlier whenever we get together and it is true what the back glass says... it IS more fun to compete!
New Games -
There is waaaay too much to say but I will throw in my personal highlights. The P3/MM area was as fun as ever. Still havan't mastered Lexy and cannot stop playing Cannon Lagoon. I enjoyed Dialed In for a game or two. To those who find the constant beeping annoying, try playing Batman 66 when the red phone needs to be answered and you just can't seem to hit it. I liked dialed in despite the 1000 or so magnets under the play field. Seriously.

Aliens was pretty cool as well. It played very finished and the layout was simple enough for me to figure out what I was supposed to do. Not that I could, mind you. But it was fun. Hobbit was a drain monster for me, but I liked all of the real estate and the pop-up targets. Didn't get to play Houdini, but the glowing eyes creeped the bejuzus outa me. Just as well.

Batman was fun because the theme really speaks to my childhood. But if I were to take one home tomorrow, Aerosmith would be it. The play is fast but manageable. The music is the best. I love that machine.
Home Brew -
I hate to call a well-finished game a retheme, but sometimes it just is.

'Buffy' was fun to play and the callouts were awesome. The wooden stake plunger was icing on the cake. My only complaint was that the flippers blended in too well with the playfield and Ill say that is why my scores were so low. Didn't get to play Doom or Wizard Blocks. Wished I had.

I played 'Total Annihilation' every chance I got and picked at Scott Denisi's(SP?) brain until it probably hurt. If you haven't watched the 'Dead Flip' video of this game you need to. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/126176110 The design is simple and elegant and it plays like a dream. No ramps, no subways, no joke. Just outright fun for beginners to pros. (I saw one guy take out 2 reactors, I didn't even start one!) No-hands super skill shot? Check! Great light show? Check! Kick-ass music and graphics? Check! Smooth flow that makes you come back for more? Yeah, it's got that. And the most innovative ball hold I have ever seen.

Moving on, 'Polynesia' was a real work of art. Can't wait to see it finished and running. 'Spinal Tap' was back and played full games this year. Rock-on!
Modified -

The 'Fish Tales' and the 'Frontier' were the end all for me for older games. For newer games? The Pinball Refinery's Walking Dead made all others look sad by comparison. Whoever took that home will enjoy it for a long, long time!
The Show -
What can I say besides my feet and hands and back are killing me? Well, my mother came to join my brother and I this year and played pinball for the first time in her 75 years. We have created a monster. She loves it and is a natural. Her first game was on my acrylic beast but it was not long before she moved up to Batman 66!

A few people seemed to notice...

And then naturally she ends up on the evening news along with my brother in the background, all three of my machines and a healthy dose of Eric Stinson! You just cannot make this stuff up!
http://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/Texas-Pinball-Festival-Launches-in-Frisco-417070893.html
We had celebrities!

We had comic relief! (Pinbot says what???)

And mostly we had fun. Picture two guys who can tear an old Bally down to parade rest and completely rebuild it trying to figure out how to turn on Brett Butler's Batman 66SLE. Frickin' hilarious! Now we're home, safe and sound. The trailer has been returned to uhaul, my three machines are home safe and my garage is fat three coin doors, one transformer and 5 playfields. including the best 'Dolly Parton' that $5 can buy. rotordave

Audits -
I'll easily discount a hundred plays on the Acrylic and Space Invaders due to orphaned games when the ball got stuck, etc. Still puts them at an impressive 500+ plays EACH over the weekend. EBD racked up 638 flawless games. (Yeah, gotta fix the machine gun sling!) See y'all next year!!
Shawn

Glad the Dolly got some love if only for $5

#1452 7 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

Anyone want to claim this? I reset it and only set free play before it left for the show. 594 plays!

Same person was on my Stern IJ at the Houston Arcade Expo. I still have not found out who it is, nor will I reach that score.

20170328_223234 (resized).jpg20170328_223234 (resized).jpg

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

Anyone want to claim this? I reset it and only set free play before it left for the show. 594 plays!

I played that AFM on Sunday and there was *no* tilt. I'm not that surprised to see 10B+, be careful with that at shows!

#1454 7 years ago

Anyone know if Pinball News recorded the seminars?

#1455 7 years ago

Well this was my first Texas Pinball Festival. Gotta say it was a great show. Got there on Friday despite me being braindead and not even considering there's 2 airports in Dallas, and missing riding with Lee and others to the show. Met Frax and OohLou at Wild Pitch and talked with them for a while, thanks to OohLou for being a super nice guy to a stranger who talks too much.Played most of Friday in the tournament, and ended up coming in 2nd in the Novice Division. So a much better showing than Louisville. Highlight of the show for me was Houdini. I was really impressed by that game. Had a solid feel and didn't feel like something that was barely finished for the show. Played a game of Houdini with I think it was pincrush and OohLou, good talking to both of you. Met Pinmonkey555 over by Diner and we had a good talk about all eras of machines. Played some games I haven't seen in ages, like Phantom of the Opera and Atlantis. Someone had 2 machines over by the snack bar, Fire and Back to the Future that were both in amazing shape. That Fire! played so well, set the high score on it on Sunday. Played that crazy restoration on Fish Tales, that thing was pretty damn mind blowing. Overall had a really good time. Excellent show. I will be back for sure.

Also, who is Bryan Kelly? Those little business cards kept cracking me up.

#1456 7 years ago

Seriously? How does anyone not know who Bryan Kelly is?

#1457 7 years ago
Quoted from caldwert:

If you don't know who he is, he's probably your Daddy

#1458 7 years ago

I believe Bryan may have been one of the highlights of a certain pinball documentary i heard about recently...

BRYAN_KELLY_2 (resized).jpgBRYAN_KELLY_2 (resized).jpg

#1459 7 years ago

How did I miss the Spinal Tap thread? Is there link here? Bummer that video walked by the machine way to quickly.

#1460 7 years ago

Wait what Spinal Tap pinball? movie please...
-mof

#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from caldwert:

Some would say the guy's a dick. Others would say, getting to know him will enrich your life and make you a better person.

#1462 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

My two cents - I have been attending TPF since 2012 and showing machines since 2013. With every year it gets bigger and better and more enjoyable.

From the Meet and Greet Friday afternoon until packout Sunday afternoon I get no sleep and complete joy out of almost every minute. The machines are fantastic and the people are even better. To all the old friends I saw and the new ones I met I cannot wait until we play together again. The small world we live on gets just a little smaller and friendlier whenever we get together and it is true what the back glass says... it IS more fun to compete!
New Games -
There is waaaay too much to say but I will throw in my personal highlights. The P3/MM area was as fun as ever. Still havan't mastered Lexy and cannot stop playing Cannon Lagoon. I enjoyed Dialed In for a game or two. To those who find the constant beeping annoying, try playing Batman 66 when the red phone needs to be answered and you just can't seem to hit it. I liked dialed in despite the 1000 or so magnets under the play field. Seriously.

Aliens was pretty cool as well. It played very finished and the layout was simple enough for me to figure out what I was supposed to do. Not that I could, mind you. But it was fun. Hobbit was a drain monster for me, but I liked all of the real estate and the pop-up targets. Didn't get to play Houdini, but the glowing eyes creeped the bejuzus outa me. Just as well.

Batman was fun because the theme really speaks to my childhood. But if I were to take one home tomorrow, Aerosmith would be it. The play is fast but manageable. The music is the best. I love that machine.
Home Brew -
I hate to call a well-finished game a retheme, but sometimes it just is.

'Buffy' was fun to play and the callouts were awesome. The wooden stake plunger was icing on the cake. My only complaint was that the flippers blended in too well with the playfield and Ill say that is why my scores were so low. Didn't get to play Doom or Wizard Blocks. Wished I had.

I played 'Total Annihilation' every chance I got and picked at Scott Denisi's(SP?) brain until it probably hurt. If you haven't watched the 'Dead Flip' video of this game you need to. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/126176110 The design is simple and elegant and it plays like a dream. No ramps, no subways, no joke. Just outright fun for beginners to pros. (I saw one guy take out 2 reactors, I didn't even start one!) No-hands super skill shot? Check! Great light show? Check! Kick-ass music and graphics? Check! Smooth flow that makes you come back for more? Yeah, it's got that. And the most innovative ball hold I have ever seen.

Moving on, 'Polynesia' was a real work of art. Can't wait to see it finished and running. 'Spinal Tap' was back and played full games this year. Rock-on!
Modified -

The 'Fish Tales' and the 'Frontier' were the end all for me for older games. For newer games? The Pinball Refinery's Walking Dead made all others look sad by comparison. Whoever took that home will enjoy it for a long, long time!
The Show -
What can I say besides my feet and hands and back are killing me? Well, my mother came to join my brother and I this year and played pinball for the first time in her 75 years. We have created a monster. She loves it and is a natural. Her first game was on my acrylic beast but it was not long before she moved up to Batman 66!

A few people seemed to notice...

And then naturally she ends up on the evening news along with my brother in the background, all three of my machines and a healthy dose of Eric Stinson! You just cannot make this stuff up!
http://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/Texas-Pinball-Festival-Launches-in-Frisco-417070893.html
We had celebrities!

We had comic relief! (Pinbot says what???)

And mostly we had fun. Picture two guys who can tear an old Bally down to parade rest and completely rebuild it trying to figure out how to turn on Brett Butler's Batman 66SLE. Frickin' hilarious! Now we're home, safe and sound. The trailer has been returned to uhaul, my three machines are home safe and my garage is fat three coin doors, one transformer and 5 playfields. including the best 'Dolly Parton' that $5 can buy. rotordave

Audits -
I'll easily discount a hundred plays on the Acrylic and Space Invaders due to orphaned games when the ball got stuck, etc. Still puts them at an impressive 500+ plays EACH over the weekend. EBD racked up 638 flawless games. (Yeah, gotta fix the machine gun sling!) See y'all next year!!
Shawn

Fantastic post. You really captured the spirit of the show. Thanks for that!

#1463 7 years ago

In 2016 it seemed like every pin I came across was for sale. This year not so much. Looks like everyone is wanting to hold on to what they have....at least for the time being until all the new pins start coming out.

#1464 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Some would say the guy's a dick. Others would say, getting to know him will enrich your life and make you a better person.

some will say both

#1465 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

How did I miss the Spinal Tap thread? Is there link here? Bummer that video walked by the machine way to quickly.

Here are a couple pics I took, didn't get backglass sorry

20170324_221813 (resized).jpg20170324_221813 (resized).jpg

20170324_221832 (resized).jpg20170324_221832 (resized).jpg

#1466 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Some would say the guy's a dick.

#1467 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Seriously? How does anyone not know who Bryan Kelly is?

Everyone might know who he is, but does anyone know what he does?!?

Brad

BKFC.jpgBKFC.jpg

#1468 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Everyone might know who he is, but does anyone know what he does?!?
Brad

You will pay for that someday, Brad. Oh yes. You will pay.

#1469 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You will pay for that someday, Brad. Oh yes. You will pay.

And I would be able to afford to except I couldn't get Bryan to sign one for me! That guy is such a diva! Oh well...

Brad

#1470 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

And I would be able to afford to except I couldn't get Bryan to sign one for me! That guy is such a diva! Oh well...
Brad

We movie stars don't sign shit for just anyone.

#1471 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I learned that the hard way, so I went back to talk to Sam Jones (Flash Gordon) for a few hours...

Brad

#1472 7 years ago

As a first timer at both Expo and TPF this year, there is definitely a different feel to each of the shows. I felt like there was more excitement for new pins, announcements, etc., at Expo, while TPF was a lot more about playing tons and tons of different machines. If I'm choosing one to hit in future years, it's going to be TPF for sure, even though Expo is a much easier trip for me. (I'm also lucky that VFW is 15 minutes down the road from me, so making that show is a given.)

I loved a ton of the machines that I got to play - Total Annihilation is a fun, fast machine, with great music, great shots, and I can't wait to see how it continues to progress. Hadn't gotten to play it in Chicago, and was glad I had the chance this weekend. I have a soft spot for the Buffy machine, so always happy to spend some time on it, and I had a really good time with Heads Up too. There's a lot of potential in the P3 platform, and I'm excited to see what they have up their sleeves in the future. I'd spent a little bit of time on Aerosmith before TPF, but found myself lining up repeatedly so that it could beat up on me - you know a game is fun when it kicks your butt, and you still keep coming back for more! AFMR is *beautiful*, and the machines felt smooth and were nice to flip. It's one of my favorites, so I was excited to get my hands on it. Tons of other great pins - a beautiful Grand Prix, TMNT (I can't help myself, that one is just *fun), and what's more fun than playing Flash Gordon while standing right next to Flash Gordon??!!

Aside from the pins, the people were great. I went alone to the show, but was never lonely. Everyone was friendly and chatty and happy to join in games with this solo chick. There was a really nice sense of community. My job doesn't always allow me to travel in March, so I'll probably always have to be a game time decision, but I will definitely be back when I can!

#1473 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

LOL

#1474 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Same person was on my Stern IJ at the Houston Arcade Expo. I still have not found out who it is, nor will I reach that score.

PinballManiac40 : Here's your guy: https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=168

#1475 7 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Dude, the guy in the blue hoodie playing Sorcerer is me! Thanks (I suppose) for posting, but I really thought I had more hair in back. It was my first time at TPF and it really was a blast. I definitely hope to be back next year.

Sorry for that....in real life I didn't notice. Lol. Must be the camera angle. Trust me, you're doing a lot better in the hair stakes than I am.

#1476 7 years ago

had a solid game on Domino's at TPF. Played for awhile, not sure if it was the GC or just a high score cause people behind me waited like 10 minutes so I just snapped a photo and left. Got to the wizard mode of Franchise owner or whatever.

IMG_20170325_005037_759 (resized).jpgIMG_20170325_005037_759 (resized).jpg

#1477 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

had a solid game on Domino's at TPF. Played for awhile, not sure if it was the GC or just a high score cause people behind me waited like 10 minutes so I just snapped a photo and left. Got to the wizard mode of Franchise owner or whatever.

Good job! I put up 28 on it my first game I played. I really liked Dominos actually. Fun game! Anyone with me?

#1478 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments on my BOP. I never even thought about winning Best of Show, I was just hoping to get best 90's.

#1479 7 years ago

wasn't brYan kelly just the greeter for TPF? I heard that since he's turned 70, he's been in very high demand as the official greeter for events such as expo and TPF

I heard that he was originally supposed to pass out these stickers, but it frightened the children (much like bryan himself
bryan kelly stickers (resized).jpgbryan kelly stickers (resized).jpg

#1480 7 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Thanks for the kind comments on my BOP. I never even thought about winning Best of Show, I was just hoping to get best 90's.

If you'd be happier with Best 90's I can modify your plaque and you can send me the extra money.

Seriously though, your BOP looked great, sounded great and played even better. You deserved winning Best of Show. Congratulations!

#1481 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

If you'd be happier with Best 90's I can modify your plaque and you can send me the extra money.
Seriously though, your BOP looked great, sounded great and played even better. You deserved winning Best of Show. Congratulations!

I can just swap the plaques if you want

That thing was a beauty. Well deserved. I do find it weird that the best in show doesn't come from one of the division winners especially the way the reveal the awards.

#1482 7 years ago

Nope I'm good with the way it turned out. But now what do I do? Just goto the show and play?

#1483 7 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Nope I'm good with the way it turned out. But now what do I do? Just goto the show and play?

No, Kevin, you need to do another game so that we can enjoy it. Just kidding. If you want a break take it.

Your work, as always, is exceptional. I, for one, always appreciate the games you bring to the show and this year was no exception.

#1484 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I do find it weird that the best in show doesn't come from one of the division winners especially the way the reveal the awards.

I think it's about giving one award per game. More people get awards, more people get prize money. Giving back to the pinball community.

#1485 7 years ago

how much is the cash prixe range for this?

#1486 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

After a day of having to go back to work, blah!!! I remembered a few more awesome games.
Thanks for bringing Buffy. Crazy how polished that game is for a home brew. Played better then any of the new release games
The joker poker in the tourney was amazing. Just a beautiful game.
The seawitch that was up and running had an awesome playfield and played awesome.
Total Annihilation is crazy good and needs to get made for the world to enjoy.
So many great games and generous people that brought them. I was happy to see people enjoying my FG at Keith Holbrook's booth. Nothing like sharing the joy.

The restored Seawitch (NOS field / Backglass); Dragon Fist; and Joker poker in the tourney area were my games. All 3 full ground up restorations except Seawitch I did not paint the cab.

#1487 7 years ago

Any of you guys get parking ticket warnings?
I was surprised to see these on the windshield, since I did not hear of any of us getting them in past years.

Wonder if we need to find another parking lot for next year for large trucks and overflow parking.
mall_parking_tix-TPF2017 (resized).jpgmall_parking_tix-TPF2017 (resized).jpg

#1488 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I was surprised to see these on the windshield, since I did not hear of any of us getting them in past years.
Wonder if we need to find another parking lot for next year for large trucks and overflow parking.

I hope the candy cane came from the cops

#1489 7 years ago

were you parked in the mall lot across the street ?

#1490 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The restored Seawitch (NOS field / Backglass); Dragon Fist; and Joker poker in the tourney area were my games. All 3 full ground up restorations except Seawitch I did not paint the cab.

Awesome work. I did not get a chance to play the Dragon Fist but it looked awesome also. The Seawitch and Joker Poker both played perfectly!!

#1491 7 years ago

Wow. that's scary. Were you parked with the other box truck at the mall?
If so; maybe Ed_in_Texas should chime in.

I was parked at the mall and didn't see anything under my wipers.

#1492 7 years ago

The mall stated no parking this year, there was a map in the packet showing the overflow parking. I too parked at the mall as in previous years and got a warning. Better than being towed though.

When I found out about the parking Sat morning I moved over to the overflow at the baseball field parking, and it's actually better you don't have to cross that parkwood street which can take forever.

#1493 7 years ago

There was a notice up in either the Embassy parking lot or the corridor near the TPF registration both not to park in the mall area or risk being towed. I didn't take a photo since I was parking at our hotel across the street.

#1494 7 years ago

You need to stop by for some good ol' fashioned redemption. You will have to double your score to be the GC.

#1495 7 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

The mall stated no parking this year, there was a map in the packet showing the overflow parking. I too parked at the mall as in previous years and got a warning. Better than being towed though.
When I found out about the parking Sat morning I moved over to the overflow at the baseball field parking, and it's actually better you don't have to cross that parkwood street which can take forever.

The baseball field overflow lot was huge and just a short walk back to the hotel.

#1496 7 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There was a notice up in either the Embassy parking lot or the corridor near the TPF registration both not to park in the mall area or risk being towed. I didn't take a photo since I was parking at our hotel across the street.

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't aware of that. I'll be sure to park in the approved overflow parking area next year.
There was probably about 25 to 50 trucks & cars that were parking along the outer edge of mall parking lot over the weekend.
Never heard any mention of not parking at the mall this year.
I'll admit that I would have been thoroughly pissed off if we had been towed.

#1497 7 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I wasn't aware of that. I'll be sure to park in the approved overflow parking area next year.

I was operating on a comment Ed made earlier in this thread telling us to park at the mall.
Glad I didn't get a warning or towed.
:whew:

#1498 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The restored Seawitch (NOS field / Backglass); Dragon Fist; and Joker poker in the tourney area were my games

The Joker Poker was beautiful.

rd

#1499 6 years ago
Quoted from RJL:

Had a great conversation with Jack about Dialed In. Great Game. I am definitely ordering one.
In the mean time, I took home a VPCabs Vertigo from Brad - another great guy - the virtual pins are very cool and will be a great compliment to my real pins. I am sure my friends will have a great time playing this game, especially the Zen 3D pins.
TPF was a great time. Thanks to all who took the time to bring games and share them with the community.

Thanks so much for your business!

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

EPF is Eric Fisher.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 300.00
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,522 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2017-texas-pinball-festival/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.