4D6B128C-0BB6-42BA-A3B7-7A201122C818 (resized).jpg
IMG_3564 (resized).JPG
WP_20170327_19_53_30_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_21_42_52_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170325_14_57_23_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170324_19_08_02_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20170326_13_43_16_Pro (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,522 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 31.
#1351 7 years ago

Why ellipses? Lol

#1352 7 years ago

All right brace for a "thick layer" here

Life's often a pain in the ass, and I think we all want pinball to relieve some of that. Pinball itself becomes a pain in the ass sometimes, as buyers of a few boutique games can attest. Luckily for me the worst that's happened in pinball is that I get beat--or the game beats me. Contemplating the universe staring at the bottom of a beer bottle with a mild headache after getting housed on league night is such a 1st world problem.

But we all need to feel something good. I go to shows and participate in tournaments to feel good. Alcohol can sometimes bridge the gap when your weekend is going shitty, but it doesn't always do the trick.

I'd been feeling kind of shitty after a particularly deep peek into the universe after some bad pinball games on a particular league night. It probably didn't have anything to do with pinball... maybe it just had to do with needing a "win" once in a while. Enter Texas Pinball Festival.

I remember labnip's enthusiastic posts from even 3 years ago--before my break with pinball. Coming back, one of the first posts I read was his new TPF 2017 thread and remembered his enthusiasm about it. I decided to go this year, WTF. Play some pinball, maybe meet some people.

JJ from Gexchange of Colorado's idea to meet at Wild Pitch across the street was a stroke of genius. Now maybe everyone who's been going to the shows for years already knew each other; but the massive gathering of people ready to talk about each other before we started "playing pinny" really set the mood and mindset I think. This became a show about people as much as it was a show about boxes of lights.

I met some really cool people directly... even Frax He's an all right dude in real life And the K-man? Shook his hand. Nice guy. Jeff and Becca (can't remember Jeff's pinside name... but he has a red devil avatar). And PinPunk (from KS!) Many others. JJ himself. Robin and Martijn. It was so great to just make a simple connection when everyone's eyes weren't glowing from the leds reflecting off a playfield.

The accommodations... it really felt world-class at that Embassy Suites hotel. The room is MASSIVE and modern. It's not being held in a rundown dump (unlike another show I'd been to recently). And nuff said about the bar over there. All that said about ES... I actually got in late and 'had to' stay at the Hyatt across the street. Perfectly fine! (Aside from missing some free cocktails, apparently). The hotel was really very nice.

About the food... Guess you folks who got in early at the hotel really enjoyed the food there, but how about those of us latecomers eating at the Hyatt? Those waffle makers were kick-ass... and the waffles were fantastic. Lunch? Food trucks did a fantastic job. A "burrito salad" is something everyone should try.

So many gracious vendors there... and they actually had some cool "useful" stuff! (Though I bought some useless stuff, too) Got some leg levelers, leg protectors, diodes, a cliffy, a magnet wand, and some other great stuff.

AND THE PINBALL MACHINES? A fantastic collection. PAPA HQ (which I visited 3 years ago) may have a few more machines in total; but I imagine they don't have all the newest machines not-yet-released by Heighway, American Pinball, Jersey Jack, and even Stern--let alone have their big brass there. Plenty of classic machines, too. And the homebrews? That s__t was amazing. Everybody bringing machines to the show deserve a great big thank you.

I gotta get into labnip's "inner circle" to find out how to reserve a room early next time, because being that much closer to the fun will be mandatory next year. That said, the Hyatt didn't present any problems... walking across the street took 3 minutes (jaywalking) 5 minutes (legit). But the free cocktails are mine next year

On a personal note, it was great to renew a friendship with Dave (Rotor) and Fiona and Danni... who I met three years ago during their hearse-quest at Lyons, Colorado. Very heartwarming to see Danni succeed in the tourney.

A big thanks to everyone who took the time to talk to me and shake my hand, including Gerry from P3, labnip himself (about Clear Gem!), the PinSound guy (and his very attractive GF), MezelMod (though he may have just been nice because of the birthday booze ), Lermods and his wife, Compy (WizardBlocks), the Buffy the Vampire Slayer programmer, the DOOM programmer, Scott Danesi, Cassandra Peterson (who actually wrote that she was in love with me on her pic--after I insisted she write that ), all the tournament people--players and directors, and others who will feel like I've left them out (sorry!)

BTW labnip's "coffee" beats Starbucks hands down

I think if any of this stuff had been missing it wouldn't have been the right mix of "stuff" to cheer me up, but it did. Damn, did I need cheering up it appears. I feel so much better. This was a real "vacation."

Thank you Ed and everyone at TPF for cheering me the f__ up... I really needed this weekend, and you made it one to remember. I feel renewed in the hobby and don't feel like jumping off any buildings just yet. It's not as much about pinball really for me as much as it is about the people... and when you mix that with the pinball, you get something special.

#1353 7 years ago

Why do I get the vibe of "but..."?

#1354 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeremy8419:

Why do I get the vibe of "but..."?

No, no downers dude. It's all been legit. Sometimes life gives you good stuff, and TPF was good stuff... no bulls___t.

#1355 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

No, no downers dude. It's all been legit. Sometimes life gives you good stuff, and TPF was good stuff... no bulls___t.

What was your favorite part? Mine was that Flash remembered me before I ever spoke to him, then after I spoke to him and then spoke to him again, he said he remembered speaking to me. I know it's not pinball related, but I really like when I make sincere friends.

#1356 7 years ago

Made it home

Whew....

Got several pins delivered tonight for folks. Crazy wild storm & hail on the way home.

Hope everyone had as much fun and as little sleep as I did

#1357 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Anyone know the dates for TPF 2018?

53 weeks

#1358 7 years ago

Thanks for the vicarious experience

#1359 7 years ago

do you have actual dates? My wife has to plan PTO so far in advance it is stupid. If there are actual dates solidified, it would be great to know them ASAP.

Thanks for the thread and photos form all that are there.

#1360 7 years ago

Congrats Danielle for winning the womens pin event!!!!!!!!!!!! Tony and Shazia!

#1361 7 years ago

Looking forward to the official 2018 TPF thread.

#1362 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Looking forward to the official 2018 TPF thread.

There's some slacking going on. There should already be a thread and a sold out hotel by now.

#1363 7 years ago

A few more pics from me...

IMG_3269 (resized).JPGIMG_3269 (resized).JPG

IMG_3290 (resized).JPGIMG_3290 (resized).JPG

IMG_3270 (resized).JPGIMG_3270 (resized).JPG

IMG_3294 (resized).JPGIMG_3294 (resized).JPG

#1364 7 years ago

Had some very interesting dinner conversation with these guys....

IMG_3278 (resized).JPGIMG_3278 (resized).JPG

#1365 7 years ago

...and this happened.

IMG_3245 (resized).JPGIMG_3245 (resized).JPG
IMG_3247 (resized).JPGIMG_3247 (resized).JPG
IMG_3351 (resized).JPGIMG_3351 (resized).JPG

#1366 7 years ago

Well done SunKing, very jealous

#1367 7 years ago

Awesome show again. Thanks to everyone that works so hard to put it on.

Game highlights for me were
Restored Congo
Restored Pharaoh (what an incredible game)
Zombie pitch and bat
Refinery TWD
Moded out TOM in the back corner
Restored Frontier

Do we have an official date for 2018 yet? I would like to go ahead and reserve my room to make sure I'm at the Embassy again next year.

#1368 7 years ago

Another great show. Looking forward to the residual check from my Jersey Jack PowerPoint appearance. :p

IMG_3968 (resized).JPGIMG_3968 (resized).JPG

#1369 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Awesome show again. Thanks to everyone that works so hard to put it on.
Game highlights for me were
Restored Congo
Restored Pharaoh (what an incredible game)
Zombie pitch and bat
Refinery TWD
Moded out TOM in the back corner
Restored Frontier
Do we have an official date for 2018 yet? I would like to go ahead and reserve my room to make sure I'm at the Embassy again next year.

Cool to see Congo on that short list And I agree that Pharoh was a sight to behold. The etched lockdown bar was a nice touch

#1370 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Cool to see Congo on that short list And I agree that Pharoh was a sight to behold. The etched lockdown bar was a nice touch

If there would have been room in a trailer coming my way that Pharaoh would have been coming to Nashville. Super fun and unique pin.

#1371 7 years ago

The King enforcing the rules.

IMG_0817 (resized).JPGIMG_0817 (resized).JPG

#1372 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Ha! Congrats on the win GOV. Well deserved! That Congo is amazing. You did a great job. It was great to finally meeting you face to face and I really enjoyed talking to your dad during to show as well. He is a great guy.

#1373 7 years ago

Big shout out to Ed and company for yet another amazing show. This is the premier can't miss event in pinball. Another huge shout out to all the vendors and exhibitors who work their butts off to make this stuff happen. Tons of great games this year!!!

#1374 7 years ago

I was surprised there was no AC/DC this year. There was an Elvis for sale advertised as home use only. Upper flipper didn't work via the flipper button. I think they were asking $4700.
Dialed In was great.

I added about 40 scores to Pindigo from games I'd never played before. Met a couple guys that owned Gigi and one let me take pics of his working machine innards so I could compare to mine. Really enjoyed the World Champ woodrail. Freedom, Slick Chick, and Ice-Revue also stood out as very fun games.
I missed every seminar due to using every spare minute playing or volunteering. I also should have spent more time meeting people. I did start a four player game on Dialed In with the three people in line behind me and had a great time talking and playing with them. Shook Steve Ritchie's hand at the after party.
Good to see lots of kids there playing pinball and enjoying it.
Shout out to @tskinne and jar155 two great guys I did manage to meet.

#1375 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Ha! Congrats on the win GOV. Well deserved! That Congo is amazing. You did a great job. It was great to finally meeting you face to face and I really enjoyed talking to your dad during to show as well. He is a great guy.

Great meeting you as well!! You did an amazing job on your Lethal Weapon 3. I think had more people known what that game looked like when you started, you would have won best in show!! I am not even joking about that.

#1376 7 years ago

Dave accepting the award for WTB.

West Texas Ballers Freddy project paid off with a best restoration 2017 win against some awesome competition. After seeing some of the other pins We didn't think it stood a chance. Thanks to all those how stood in line this weekend for a chance to play this old pin.

IMG_6941 (resized).PNGIMG_6941 (resized).PNG

IMG_6954 (resized).PNGIMG_6954 (resized).PNG

#1377 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

. Jeff and Becca (can't remember Jeff's pinside name... but he has a red devil avatar).

Becca still wants your amp
--Jeff

#1378 7 years ago

Still recovering from yelling all weekend but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth. We heard a lot of good stories, met a LOT of nice people and had a blast! We are looking forward to TPF 2018 and I hope everyone made it home before the rain!

Also, a huge thank you to our totally abused and unpaid helpers, Fatbeard, Blacktoothgrin and @kdunbar! Heather and I really appriciate all your hard work and thanks to Ed, Kim, Trey, Kelly, Ken and all of the volunteers.

#1379 7 years ago

Photos from the show...

Texas Pinball Festival 2017 (91 Photos):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mnhotrods/albums/72157679450683102

IMG_8827 (resized).JPGIMG_8827 (resized).JPG
IMG_8829 (resized).JPGIMG_8829 (resized).JPG
IMG_8833 (resized).JPGIMG_8833 (resized).JPG
IMG_8841 (resized).JPGIMG_8841 (resized).JPG
IMG_8848 (resized).JPGIMG_8848 (resized).JPG
IMG_8851 (resized).JPGIMG_8851 (resized).JPG
IMG_8852 (resized).JPGIMG_8852 (resized).JPG
IMG_8855a (resized).JPGIMG_8855a (resized).JPG
IMG_8867 (resized).JPGIMG_8867 (resized).JPG
IMG_8869 (resized).JPGIMG_8869 (resized).JPG
IMG_8870a (resized).JPGIMG_8870a (resized).JPG
IMG_8876 (resized).JPGIMG_8876 (resized).JPG
IMG_8889 (resized).JPGIMG_8889 (resized).JPG
IMG_8897 (resized).JPGIMG_8897 (resized).JPG
IMG_8901b (resized).JPGIMG_8901b (resized).JPG
IMG_8906b (resized).JPGIMG_8906b (resized).JPG
IMG_8907 (resized).JPGIMG_8907 (resized).JPG
IMG_8917 (resized).JPGIMG_8917 (resized).JPG
IMG_8918 (resized).JPGIMG_8918 (resized).JPG
IMG_8920 (resized).JPGIMG_8920 (resized).JPG
IMG_8928 (resized).JPGIMG_8928 (resized).JPG
IMG_8932 (resized).JPGIMG_8932 (resized).JPG
IMG_8937c (resized).JPGIMG_8937c (resized).JPG
IMG_8940 (resized).JPGIMG_8940 (resized).JPG
IMG_8943 (resized).JPGIMG_8943 (resized).JPG
IMG_8913 (resized).JPGIMG_8913 (resized).JPG

Not sure why it keeps adding the last two photos....

IMG_8913 (resized).JPGIMG_8913 (resized).JPG

IMG_8906b (resized).JPGIMG_8906b (resized).JPG

#1380 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Shout out to @tskinne and jar155 two great guys I did manage to meet.

I don't know about Tommy, he's a bit of a rascal...but it was good meeting you too! Thanks for all the time you put in at the tournament area. That's a lot of effort to keep up with that madness, and we really appreciate it as competitors.

#1381 7 years ago

Accidental souvenirs

IMG_8464 (resized).JPGIMG_8464 (resized).JPG

#1382 7 years ago

Who was selling the Powder Coated Legs? Would you know the Cost?

Also, Anyone have a Pic or Video of the Winning Congo?

(sorry if it has been posted already and I missed)

#1383 7 years ago

TPF 2018 thread
Subscribe now for exciting announcements & to increase your cool factor

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2018-texas-pinball-festival

#1384 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

(sorry if it has been posted already and I missed)

I stupidly didn't take any pictures of the machine at the show There are some pictures at the end of my restoration thread I took before I packed it up for TPF.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-full-restorationcustomization-above-and-beyond

#1385 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not the best picture, but I am sure some others took some good ones. I was in a bit of a hurry.

IMG_20170324_205259 (resized).jpgIMG_20170324_205259 (resized).jpg

#1386 7 years ago

If you ask me this show looks like it is quickly becoming a show of shows and starting to exceed the quality of EXPO up here in Chicago. I really hope to get down there for 2018 to experience this one for myself. My wife wants to go too, even if it's to just sit poolside.

#1387 7 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Photos from the show...

VERY cool overhead shots! ...thanks for posting!

I finally got a chance to play that Congo on Sunday. I had a great game on it. It's a beautiful and well tuned machine.

#1388 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I stupidly didn't take any pictures of the machine at the show There are some pictures at the end of my restoration thread I took before I packed it up for TPF.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-full-restorationcustomization-above-and-beyond

So Sorry I missed your thread, and the show, but Congrats!

Color me impressed with your work, as well!

Very clean lighting job!!

#1389 7 years ago

I met and had a nice conversation with LTG, one of the highlights of the show for me.

#1390 7 years ago

What kind of bulbs do you use for GI and translite?

#1391 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

If you ask me this show looks like it is quickly becoming a show of shows and starting to exceed the quality of EXPO up here in Chicago. I really hope to get down there for 2018 to experience this one for myself. My wife wants to go too, even if it's to just sit poolside.

Chicago was fun, as it was my First with the Stern tour.

Texas simply looks better,partly because of the Vast array of games being greater, but also the Wonderful Pinheads you have in Texas and Nearby that support it!

#1392 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So Sorry I missed your thread, and the show, but Congrats!
Color me impressed with your work, as well!
Very clean lighting job!!

Thanks Art. I used the Comet Sunlight GI bulbs in the GI and they look great. Perfect color temp for Congo.

#1393 7 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Thanks Art. I used the Comet Sunlight GI bulbs in the GI and they look great. Perfect color temp for Congo.

I didnt know that, and its what I used too!

Was that the original Playfield?

Seriously guys, Im not in the biz anymore, and I hope you dont mind me plugging because I like the best too,
but if you liked his game, Give these a Try!

Thats another Winner for Comet Bulbs, the second as Stark Trek Mirror, won a few years back.

#1394 7 years ago

Does anyone have photos of the restored Frontier or the Pharaoh?

#1395 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

2017 TPF in the books. Loaded up and heading home.

I am glad my Nip-It went to a good home! It was nice meeting you and doing business with you.

#1396 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I didnt know that, and its what I used too!
Was that the original Playfield?
Seriously guys, Im not in the biz anymore, and I hope you dont mind me plugging because I like the best too,
but if you liked his game, Give these a Try!
Thats another Winner for Comet Bulbs, the second as Stark Trek Mirror, won a few years back.

It was the original playfield. It had they typical wear in the kickouts and shooter lane. It had been played a lot and was super filthy. Cleaned up good though

I will happily plug Comet Bulbs as well. The sunlight GI bulbs are my favorite GI bulb hands down. Such a clean color temp that works well with so many games.

#1397 7 years ago

Very Vibrant colors on the Playfield!

On behalf of Ryan and Janet at Comet, Thank you!

...and as it is a TPF thread, Thanks to Chris and Melissa at Cointaker, and all the Vendors for their work to make the show
the Success that it was!

#1398 7 years ago

What a fantastic show this was! Huge thanks to Kim, Ed, Paul and Ken, all volunteers, exhibitors and others that helped make it so great! Will write a report that will be available on www.pinball-magazine.com later this week (hopefully)

#1399 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

What a fantastic show this was! Huge thanks to Kim, Ed, Paul and Ken, all volunteers, exhibitors and others that helped make it so great! Will write a report that will be available on http://www.pinball-magazine.com later this week (hopefully)

The decision to move the trivia contest to the hotel lounge during happy hour was a brilliant move IMO

#1400 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Who was selling the Powder Coated Legs?

http://www.pinballplating.com/ was one vendor that had them. I think there was another. The laser cut AFM coinless door was very cool, pinballplatingandmore.com is who I think had them.

EDIT: the above are both powder coated/plating vendors. Below is the coinless door vendor.

It was Flip N Out that had the coin less laser cut doors .
flipnoutpinball.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8,700.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 300.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,522 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2017-texas-pinball-festival/page/28?hl=jeremy8419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.