Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 722 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    IMG_1175_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    ready_(resized).jpg
    1456970410159_(resized).jpg
    1457319022391_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 722 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
    #401 8 years ago

1st time going to Texas, only in for the show. But was wondering if there were some can't miss food places nearby that should be hit while I'm there?

#403 8 years ago

If the same food trucks are there from last year you will be just fine. I daydream about that Ruben dog to this day.

#404 8 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

If the same food trucks are there from last year you will be just fine. I daydream about that Ruben dog to this day.

A buch of those food trucks ran out of food on Saturday. Also their were only a few trucks most of the time. Kind of a disappointment.

#405 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

A buch of those food trucks ran out of food on Saturday. Also their were only a few trucks most of the time. Kind of a disappointment.

They left money on the table last year. I bet they will be stocked up this year.

#406 8 years ago

Yep, I got the "we're out of food" speech too. Was a little bummed. Plus half the trucks didn't show up? Had to go bug those poor girls across the street. (again)

#407 8 years ago

Bring my own food
    Bring my own booze
    Bring my own cigars + more to share
    Bring my own 10 gal hand sanitizer

Expectations all met & no lines

#408 8 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

1st time going to Texas, only in for the show. But was wondering if there were some can't miss food places nearby that should be hit while I'm there?

Rudy's BBQ is a few miles north up the Dallas North Tollway just passed Main Street...Babe's Chicken is a few miles north up the Dallas North Tollway just before Main Street on the east side of Frisco Square...not sure I'd consider them "can't miss food places"...but pretty good nonetheless. If you don't mind spending a little more, Pappadeaux's Seafood is a few miles south on the Dallas North Tollway and is definitely a "can't miss food place"!

#409 8 years ago

Yeah - I was disappointed on the food trucks too... had 5 or 6 games worth of food vouchers that I never used because they were never there with food.
    This year will be better.... right?!

Just ordered 200usd worth of flipper rebuild kits for my games... so they should be nice a snappy. Noticed at Halloween the kids were having issues with sticking flippers on RFM and STNG. I *could* have just replaced the damaged bits... but I didn't really want to rip apart every game to determine what was wrong. This way; everything is clean and ready.

Hope to have a new product or two at the show in my Stern ST LE... just hope I can get the bugs worked out of the software on one and get the product in on the other. Damn Chinese New Year!

#410 8 years ago

Is the tournament game list available? 3 were mentioned in a C2C episode a few weeks ago.

#411 8 years ago

Schedule of events looks awesome, but my luck again (I guess it may apply to many arriving from out of town) that the most interesting seminars (to me at least) are Friday early evening and I'll miss them. Hopefully they'll be available online later on

#412 8 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Is the tournament game list available? 3 were mentioned in a C2C episode a few weeks ago.

this would be nice since the TD sounds to already know the whole list and others that are insiders seem to know and will be able to practice on games in advance...

#413 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

this would be nice since the TD sounds to already know the whole list and others that are insiders seem to know and will be able to practice on games in advance...

I'm volunteering as a Judge and score recorder and play in local leagues with the TDs, as far as I'm aware they are being close-lipped besides the three that have been announced, there's no mysterious insider's club beyond maybe the directors and the people running the show. The directors do plan on participating in the tournament though and they'll know ahead of time, so there's that.

There is definitely a chance that some confirmed games won't show up in good working order as well.

Edit- to clarify, I have no idea what the other games might be. I can guess that Marcus is going to bring some, and they almost always have a couple new Sterns that they unbox there. There might be other info around.

#414 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Which is no different than any year prior.

I'm (probably) officially out on TPF. Sorry folks. I took home 2nd place in the TX SCS, and the 1st place (Colin MacAlpine) is assisting with TPF duties already, so I'm trying my best to get the time off work to go to Vegas for Nationals. I don't intend to go to Vegas for my first time for one day, so I won't make it back for TPF if I can go!

#415 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

almost always have a couple new Sterns that they unbox there

If they've been soliciting local buyers to pick up games for TPF, I haven't heard anything about it this year, but I pretty much have extricated myself from the "Good Ol' Boys Clubs" locally. I got my MET through TPF, and it was in the tournament area for a weekend. If someone was interested, could probably contact FUN and find out if they are providing games for that again, since they are the distro of choice.

#416 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

The directors do plan on participating in the tournament though and they'll know ahead of time, so there's that.

and hence why the 'potential' and 'official' game lists need to be announced sooner rather than later.'

I host and play in events so I know how important it is to remove any perception of advantage, especially when people are spending this kind of money to come play in the event.

#417 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Which is no different than any year prior.
    I'm (probably) officially out on TPF. Sorry folks. I took home 2nd place in the TX SCS, and the 1st place (Colin MacAlpine) is assisting with TPF duties already, so I'm trying my best to get the time off work to go to Vegas for Nationals. I don't intend to go to Vegas for my first time for one day, so I won't make it back for TPF if I can go!

What tha

#418 8 years ago

I'm trying to decide if I should rent a car or just take a cab from the airport. Anyone know about what the cab fair may be from the airport to the hotel?

PavBall and I are ready!!!

#419 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm trying to decide if I should rent a car or just take a cab from the airport. Anyone know about what the cab fair may be from the airport to the hotel?

Call these guys y'all.
    It's what tha rest of us Texans use to get thar

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#420 8 years ago

Or our good friend labnip could pick us up:

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#421 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Or our good friend labnip could pick us up:
    image_(resized).jpg

I miss my lucky green shirt

#422 8 years ago

Total shot in the dark here - I need a Pinsider passing through or near St Louis, MO who can pick up a game for me and bring it to TPF. Any takers???

Shawn

#423 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Total shot in the dark here - I need a Pinsider passing through or near St Louis, MO who can pick up a game for me and bring it to TPF. Any takers???
    Shawn

message KingPin. I am not sure what route he is taking but for a couple hundred i bet he would help out it on his route.

#424 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The list is not finalized. We are still a month out. There is nobody "in the know" that is out practicing. I don't even know the list at this point. Conspiracy Theorists can relax. We will post it as soon as possible.

#425 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I got a car rental for 2 days for about $70, I could have gotten cheaper but went with Sixt. They seem to be higher end (less BS). I can't imagine a cab being much cheaper & I like the freedom of coming/going as I please. Plus the show hotel was sold out, I have to drive anyway. Got an SUV just in case I have to try to ship something home. But I was hoping one of the pinball transport guys might be there offering services.

#426 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

message KingPin. I am not sure what route he is taking but for a couple hundred i bet he would help out it on his route.

Thanks, but you do realize how many KingPins are on here, right?

#427 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Thanks, but you do realize how many KingPins are on here, right?

Try KINGPINGAMES

LTG : )™

#428 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

The list is not finalized. We are still a month out. There is nobody "in the know" that is out practicing. I don't even know the list at this point. Conspiracy Theorists can relax. We will post it as soon as possible.

You really are kind of an a*****e for someone running a show that people are spending large amounts of money and time off to come to. I suggest not being suck a dick to your paying customers.

Sorry but on the recent coast to coast podcast it was referenced that the games are being worked out back then and they even made mention of a few already being decided. The host of the show even suggested that you get your shit in gear and announce the games ESPESCIALLY since your TDs are also competitors. If there is no advantage to anybody and the hosts are not playing then it really doesnot matter much. With host also competing thenit does matter.

From the sounds of it your competition sucked badly last year. If you want to continue to make improvements then no need To be so defensive. I suggest taking feedback and adjusting to make it better. Either prevent your hosts from playing in the evnt or ensure they do evenrything they can to level the advantages.

#429 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You really are kind of an asshole for someone running a show that people are spending large amounts of money and time off to come to. I suggest not being suck a dick to your paying customers.
    Sorry but on the recent coast to coast podcast it was referenced that the games are being worked out back then and they even made mention of a few already being decided. The host of the show even suggested that you get your shit in gear and announce the games ESPESCIALLY since your TDs are also competitors.

Yikes!

#430 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You really are kind of an asshole for someone running a show that people are spending large amounts of money and time off to come to. I suggest not being suck a dick to your paying customers.
    Sorry but on the recent coast to coast podcast it was referenced that the games are being worked out back then and they even made mention of a few already being decided. The host of the show even suggested that you get your shit in gear and announce the games ESPESCIALLY since your TDs are also competitors. If there is no advantage to anybody and the hosts are not playing then it really doesnot matter much. With host also competing thenit does matter.
    From the sounds of it your competition sucked badly last year. If you want to continue to make improvements then no need To be so defensive. I suggest taking feedback and adjusting to make it better. Either prevent your hosts from playing in the evnt or ensure they do evenrything they can to level the advantages.

Ummmmmmmmm.

He's cool dude.
    All's well.

Ps. Chix dig em too

#431 8 years ago

You are such a tool. Chill ... out.

... removed off topic ...

Quoted from Whysnow:

#432 8 years ago

This comment is waaaaaay out of line. Ed is one of the nicest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting in this hobby.
    The amount of work that goes into the show is staggering.

Ken

Quoted from Whysnow:

#433 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrebel:

This comment is waaaaaay out of line. Ed is one of the nicest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting in this hobby.
    Ken

Hey, he is the guy calling me a conspiracy theorist. There is absolutely no reason for him to be a prick to paying customers, especially when his co-director has already publicly stated games are on a short list and the majority already selected.

Go listen to Coast to Coast podcast #216 from over 2 weeks ago (around 25min in). Colin clearly says they have a short list of games selected and already know 3 out of the 4 games in each the EM, SS, and DMD banks. He lists GOT, fireball and Frontier as 3 of the games.

It has now been 2 more weeks closer to the event and Colin along with a few other competitors/ insiders already know the majority of the games. I am not sure why it is so difficult to just publish the full short list and then as things become solidified you clearly denote that. If the TPF continues to want to make better competitions then they need to bring transparency and legitimacy to the actual competition, not snarky comments from the show organizer when someone is providing legitimate feedback.

#434 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey, he is the asshat calling me a conspiracy theorist. There is absolutely no reason for him to be a prick to paying customers, especially when his co-director has already publically stated games are on a short list and the majority already selected.
    Go listen to Coast to Coast podcast #216 from over 2 weeks ago (around 25min in). Colin clearly says they have a short list of games selected and already know 3 out of the 4 games in each the EM, SS, and DMD banks. He lists GOT, fireball and Frontier as 3 of the games.
    It has now been 2 more weeks closer to the event and Colin along with a few other competitors/ insiders already know the majority of the games. I am not sure why it is so difficult to just publish the full short list and then as things become solidified you clearly denote that. If the TPF continues to want to make better competitions then they need to bring transparency and legitimacy to the actual competition, not snarky comments from the show organizer when someone is providing legitimate feedback.

I'm happy to refund your show entry and tourney entry if you like. Just shoot us an email. I'm sorry you were so offended at my comment. It was meant to be funny, but I guess it was taken personally.

#435 8 years ago

Still no reason to freak out about it

I'm sure they'll release the list when FINALIZED versus the possible list.

#436 8 years ago

I am sure it is! I apologize if he does it all for free then Screw me! My opinion does not mean squat if he is doing this all for the love of pinball. My assumption with a show of this size is that it is a huge business. I would never take on this amount of work for free.

If it is a paid gig, then customer feedback is typically very valuable. I am coming to TPF for the first time because I heard how awesome the games are and the assurance that the competition would be vastly improved and all legit and up front. TDs being competitors and knowing a game list and not sharing with the other people giving large donations to seed the pot is an unfair advantage and poor form (almost as bad as a businessman getting defensive and calling his customers names when they provide legit feedback).

#437 8 years ago

There's something like two days to qualify and it's limited entry. I don't think knowing a list ahead of time is going to make a massive difference. There will be at least a couple people around that'll be nice enough to give you the down-low on the titles, including Colin.

The issues in past years are a completely different thing and in no way related to game selection.

#438 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

I'm happy to refund your show entry and tourney entry if you like. Just shoot us an email. I'm sorry you were so offended at my comment. It was meant to be funny, but I guess it was taken personally.

sorry if I misinterpreted your name calling. I did not find it to be funny. Also given the context that your TD already publicly stated he has select 9 of the 12 games, has a short list for the remainders, and only shared 3 of those already selected; it did not seem to be a joke but more of a personal attack.

I am looking forward to TPF, but not if it comes along with snarky comments from show organizers and TDs having unfair advantages for events they are competing in. It can only do good things for your show to publish the full list sooner rather than later. If you need to adjust that list as things get closer then that is all good.

I am not looking for a refund as I already have plane tickets purchased and accommodations reserved. I am just asking for your competitions to be more legit and announce the current list of selected, likely, and possible games.

#439 8 years ago

I guess I'm just old, but usually feedback laced with profanity doesn't qualify as constructive to me.
    The list will be posted ASAP.

Ken

Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey, he is the guy calling me a conspiracy theorist. There is absolutely no reason for him to be a prick to paying customers, especially when his co-director has already publicly stated games are on a short list and the majority already selected.

#440 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

There's something like two days to qualify and it's limited entry. I don't think knowing a list ahead of time is going to make a massive difference. There will be at least a couple people around that'll be nice enough to give you the down-low on the titles, including Colin.
    The issues in past years are a completely different thing and in no way related to game selection.

I have limited free time and access to games. If even a partial list is know then I will use that time to go find and play some of the games on the list more in order to learn rulesets and shots prior to the trip out.

Colin knows 9 of the games from what was said on C2C. Why not just publish that list?

#441 8 years ago

I guess I'm just old, but usually feedback laced with profanity doesn't qualify as constructive to me.

in case you missed it...

I was pretty nice with my initial feedback

Quoted from Whysnow:

and hence why the 'potential' and 'official' game lists need to be announced sooner rather than later.'
    I host and play in events so I know how important it is to remove any perception of advantage, especially when people are spending this kind of money to come play in the event.

then Ed started tossing out the name calling and insinuating I was lying about them already knowing games

Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Conspiracy Theorists can relax.

so my feedback got a bit more direct.

#442 8 years ago

stupid internet. This conversation would totally not be happening in person.

#443 8 years ago

I came in here for info, and fun. Instead this last page is covered in drama, guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Smoke out happening again?

Looking forward to TPF, enjoyed last year a lot!!

#444 8 years ago
    Quoted from PaulyB18:

I came in here for info, and fun. Instead this last page is covered in drama, guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Smoke out happening again?
    Looking forward to TPF, enjoyed last year a lot!!

Yes sir. Friday, 10pm. It's on the schedule:
    http://texaspinball.com/tpf/events/events2016/

#445 8 years ago

Thanks Ed! Hope you get some time away again to join us!

#446 8 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

According to the Hotel a Cab is around USD 65 and a Shuttle around USD 35 oneway trip if I remeber correctly

#447 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

According to the Hotel a Cab is around USD 65 and a Shuttle around USD 35 oneway trip if I remeber correctly

I didn't realize they shuttled. That makes everything super easy. Thanks!

#448 8 years ago

Found the hotel Mail

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#450 8 years ago

Getting closer - WooHoo!!

There are 722 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2016-texas-pinball-festival-thread/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.