Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 969 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Quiddity
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 7.32.07 PM.png
    image-465.jpg
    image-267.jpg
    image-981.jpg
    image.jpg
    11102718_10206384811043505_5012027031984442487_n.jpg
    yuuuup.jpeg
    WP_20150327_16_41_51_Pro.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150327_122508.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-46.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    crowd-1.jpeg
    There are 969 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 20.
    #151 9 years ago

I think I am going to fly in for the show also. Never been to Texas. What is the cheapest way to get from Dallas air port to the Hotel? Is there a shuttle bus?

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I think I am going to fly in for the show also. Never been to Texas. What is the cheapest way to get from Dallas air port to the Hotel? Is there a shuttle bus?

Unfortunately, the hotel does not offer a shuttle. A cab is your best bet. I would imagine several folks will be arriving at the airport close to the same time. Perhaps a taxi share is possible?

#153 9 years ago

One of the greatest pinball design/art teams in pinball history, famed pinball artist Greg Freres and pinball designer Dennis Nordman are coming to the 2015 Texas Pinball Festival! Co-founders of Whizbang Pinball, Greg and Dennis will be visiting with fans and talking "Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons!"

Side Note: Of course while we are hoping Greg and Dennis are able to bring a Nellie (or two) to Texas, we make no promises. Yes, STERN PINBALL, INC. is going to make "Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons", but production time is not certain at this time.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #154 9 years ago

Uber and Lyft also operate in DFW, so you could try one of those services instead of a cab as well

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

in Texas... the Stage Coach. Just keep an eye out for natives.

TPF2015-coach-1.jpgTPF2015-coach-1.jpg

#156 9 years ago

How much is a taxi ride? Would I be better off renting a small car?

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

How much is a taxi ride?

Probably less than my qualifying tickets will end up being

Realistically, it's something like a 40-minute drive from the airport to the convention center, so expect $75-$100 one way.

#158 9 years ago

That much really come on. On the TPF web site it said it was only 25 min from the air port. I might as well rent a car at that price.

#159 9 years ago

You can always take a shuttle from the airport for a fixed price. Super shuttle etc. if you must know in advance, call the hotel or go to the airport web site.

#160 9 years ago

Taxes for car rentals at DFW in my experience have been some of the worst. Avis using our corporate discount, looks to be $150 for a Thursday to Monday stay, for a standard car. Plus another $82 for "surcharges and fees". This does not yet include any optional insurance (my regular car insurance covers me). If I paid for their insurance I'd look at $50-60 a DAY depending on which insurance bits I opted for. Since the boss isn't paying for this trip, I'm gonna say no to Avis.

UberX can't pick up at DFW; only UberBlack and UberSUV. UberBlack runs $3.45/mile.
    https://www.uber.com/cities/dallas . UberX for drop off (from reading forums) appears to be OK, and pretty cheap.

I've never used ExecuCar.com for DFW; but I've used them a *ton* for SFO. Rates look to be $90 one-way for a meet and greet at DFW, sedan ride to the hotel. $110 for a SUV ride. Same price for the return trip. I've found them to always show up early but never knock until the right time; never had to worry about them arriving soon enough to not miss my flight.

If I were pinching pennies, I'd use google maps to figure out a route from DFW to Embassy Suites in Frisco. Looks like 3 hours that way; no idea on cost. dart.org isn't being helpful right now. I have a hard time imaging anyone flying in, and paying for TPF + hotel, would go this route..

Ah, also, I guess more reasons to skip the rental car: Bone Daddy's BBQ and Pappadeaux Seafood are great places I always try and visit. And are ~10 minutes away by car. And .. I don't want to be the designated driver.

#161 9 years ago

FYI.... Called tonight about getting another room reserved... They said they had sold out already...

Your experience may be different....

Just letting everyone know that hasn't reserved yet.......

NT>

#162 9 years ago

DFW is 24 miles from the hotel via a toll road (121). It's a direct straight shot, and honestly there's no decent way to get from the airport to the hotel/Frisco with any sort of speed.

Regarding DART, it'll take you three and a half hours, but it's doable. I suppose. You'd end up taking the TRE over to downtown Dallas, then three different bus changes up to Frisco.

Your best bet is to just eat the cab fare. There's gonna be plenty of people making their way from the airport to the hotel, it may work out nicely to just plan on paying a cab then start trying to carpool a cab trip in February. Or.... Arrange for someone local to pick you up - and as someone who had a friend fly in for Saturday last year, this plan isn't too bad. I picked him up in the morning (and missed the swap meet, booo) and he took a cab back to the airport late Saturday evening. It worked out well for us.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

DFW is 24 miles from the hotel via a toll road (121). It's a direct straight shot, and honestly there's no decent way to get from the airport to the hotel/Frisco with any sort of speed.

Ain't that the truth! We hit it last year on our way up from Corpus and nearly burned up the brakes from the traffic. We're gonna add a day this year and drive straight up to WinStar on Wednesday for a night of drinking and gambling. Thursday we'll make a leisurely trip back down to Frisco on the back roads for offload, etc.

Looks to be bigger and better than ever this year. Can. Not. Wait.

#164 9 years ago

Are all the hotel rooms really sold out?

#165 9 years ago
    Quoted from Beez:

Are all the hotel rooms really sold out?

Contact the hotel?

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from NicToria:

FYI.... Called tonight about getting another room reserved... They said they had sold out already...
    Your experience may be different....
    Just letting everyone know that hasn't reserved yet.......
    NT>

We just checked and there are still rooms available.

#167 9 years ago

for anyone on the fence about going to TPF, i just have to say... this was probably the most relaxing and fun weekend i've had all year. 2 thumbs up for an incredibly well managed event !

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

for anyone on the fence about going to TPF, i just have to say... this was probably the most relaxing and fun weekend i've had all year. 2 thumbs up for an incredibly well managed event !

Don't forget about the Happy Hour Club.

I need to get that stupid art finished.

#169 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

We just checked and there are still rooms available.

Good to know then.... At the 121 rate?

Maybe our phone conversation got crossed up...

NT..

#170 9 years ago

I'd get on it tonight NicToria, it has filled up fast.

#171 9 years ago

I had so much fun at TPF with my son last year that we are flying in next year too. Definitely a pin event worth visiting even from far away

#172 9 years ago

Go Yellow Checker, 30$ van ride from airport to hotel one way.

https://yellowcheckershuttle.hudsonltd.net/res

#173 9 years ago

Went in 2013 ... Was a BLAST!
    My wife, son and I had so much fun - great family event.
    We missed last year BUT I just BOOKED our room for 2015 !!!!!!

TPF ROCKS !!!! Can't wait !!!

#174 9 years ago

The new venue makes it even better! The swap meet is much bigger now too! Ive been looking forward to TPF since last March.

#175 9 years ago

I would like to attend this year...is there a local opinion on the Hotel, Aloft Frisco?

#176 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would like to attend this year...is there a local opinion on the Hotel, Aloft Frisco?

Aloft hotels are nice - haven't been in that one but I'd trust it is very similar to the others. Not a bad second choice if you can't get into the embassy.

#177 9 years ago

We stayed at the Aloft last year, it was pretty nice. Basically identical to every other Aloft I've been at, and I'd choose Aloft over most other brands. Easy walking distance to the convention center as well.

#178 9 years ago

Thanks! With a little luck, I will be there! Excited!

#179 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks! With a little luck, I will be there! Excited!

For fun, or as a vendor?

#180 9 years ago

Fun....too beat up and bad health to work shows anymore...
    ...but Ill buy the drinks! Thats better!

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

in Texas... the Stage Coach. Just keep an eye out for natives

Something was missing here...

333871-pin.png333871-pin.png

#182 9 years ago

Here's a load of pinball machines on their way to Texas Pinball Festival.

We'll have to check and tighten all screws, reseat connectors, and check if any bulbs fell out during transport.

wagontrain-pinball-transport.jpgwagontrain-pinball-transport.jpg

#183 9 years ago

Good thing they started their journey now. With the cold winter blizzards, illness and frostbite it'll take em til March to get there.

#184 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Good thing they started their journey now. With the cold winter blizzards, illness and frostbite it'll take em til March to get there.

I'm just glad they love TPF so much and know how important it is for folks to bring games that they are willing to make the journey!

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Not to mention dysentery.

#186 9 years ago

Just purchased my TPF Pre-Register Show Tickets before the deadline ends to save $20 per weekend pass! I AM SO EXCITED !!!

#187 9 years ago

Pintastic New England will be represented at the TPF this year. Just booked my room....flight....and tickets. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people! Very excited!

1 week later
    #188 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Pintastic New England will be represented

Nice..

#189 9 years ago

Maybe the new Wrestling pin be featured at the show.
    I know the release date is in March which would cut it close.

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Maybe the new Wrestling pin be featured at the show.
    I know the release date is in March which would cut it close.

It's been the trend for every most-recently-new stern to show up at TPF in the tourney area...so no doubt, if it's off the line and can get to Texas by then, there will be two of them at the show in the tourney area.

#191 9 years ago

So in that case are you thinking the moderns would be WrestleMania, TWD, MMr and AFM?

#192 9 years ago

MMR was used last year along with Metallica and Mustang.

I could see Wrestlemania, The Walking Dead, and Attack from Mars this year. America's Most Haunted will be at the show too, so there's another possibility.

#193 9 years ago

I'm curious, who has to travel the furthest? I'm only 4 miles away.

#194 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

MMR was used last year along with Metallica and Mustang.
    I could see Wrestlemania, The Walking Dead, and Attack from Mars this year. America's Most Haunted will be at the show too, so there's another possibility.

Correction. MM was used. MMr was not used.

One of the MM machines was Ed's built from Scratch game, but those kind of games are not considered MMr.

Marcus

#195 9 years ago

I'm hoping Dutch Pinball makes a showing.

#196 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I'm curious, who has to travel the furthest? I'm only 4 miles away.

Frax and I are 17.5 miles away.

#197 9 years ago
    Quoted from GeneQ:

I'm hoping Dutch Pinball makes a showing.

+1

#198 9 years ago

Chuck, myself and the PinHeck board designer Parker Dillman (from Houston) will be there!

We won't buy a Presidential suite full of white Russians, but you're more than welcome to try and outdrink us at the bar

#199 9 years ago

A few updates (some already mentioned):
    Spooky Pinball & team is coming and bringing an AMH!
    JJP is coming and bringing The Hobbit!
    The hotel is completely sold out. We are working with the Frisco Visitor Center now for a list of nearby hotels at a special rate.

#200 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

A few updates (some already mentioned):
    Spooky Pinball & team is coming and bringing an AMH!
    JJP is coming and bringing The Hobbit!
    The hotel is completely sold out. We are working with the Frisco Visitor Center now for a list of nearby hotels at a special rate.

I am an idiot. Damnit. Damnit. Damnit.

There are 969 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-2015-texas-pinball-festival-thread/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.