(Topic ID: 215914)

Off white cabinet paint, what do you use?

By mrbanjo

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

canon08082017 002 (resized).JPG
    canon09082017 010 (resized).JPG
    canon03082017 006 (resized).JPG
    IMG_E0735 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2887 (resized).jpeg
    20180507_194301 (resized).jpg
    20180506_164000 (resized).jpg
    20180502_183935 (resized).jpg
    20180502_183353 (resized).jpg
    20180501_082146 (resized).jpg
    untitledb (resized).jpg
    IMG_3309 (resized).JPG
    canon13032017 001 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

The base paint I find that is good shade to use is Krylon Heirloom White in a rattle can. I hate using rattle cans on large areas.
    I don't understand why paint manufacturers don't use a fan spray nozzle on the cans.
    I prefer to use a spray gun, question is:
    What do others use to paint the base white on the cabinets, do not want latex as ALL stores want to sell you.

#2 1 year ago

I get a colour match from an auto paint supply store & use acrylic lacquer. It often comes out as a very very light cream. I also use auto lacquer for cab touchups.

canon13032017 001 (resized).JPG

#3 1 year ago

I use nitro-cellulose, applied with a gravity - fed spray gun, [no idea what its called in the US] and I've found that 'Old English White', as used on 1960/70's Triumph sports cars [which were exported to the US] is a great match. I also apply a coat of cellulose lacquer on top which tends to yellow over time and makes the cabinet really look the part.

#4 1 year ago

If using rattle-cans, use Krylon heirloom white.

For your stencils, go to the Montana Paints website and order the right colors matching what you want from their "White" line of paints (they're called "White" but that's the color series name -- fantastic colors).

See my Atlantis and Quick Draw threads for pics of repaints.

Mark

#5 1 year ago

Krylon Ivory - I am painting a Top Score (Gottlieb 1975) with it and it is turning out great.

IMG_3309 (resized).JPG

#6 1 year ago

Ivory or antique white are just the right amount of yellow. + 1 on the Montana white line, just the right amount of gloss. I did my last 2with rattle cans, I like the spray gun ones I did before them much better.

#7 1 year ago

I find that they change these colors often enough that I just buy a couple sample cans and test them out to see which one I like best. To make it the same as what I'm going to eventually spray on the actual cab I'm doing, I first primer a blank piece of wood, and spray test strips on that test piece. Might be overkill, but it makes me feel better...

Sean

#8 1 year ago

don't like using latex enamel but only thing the stores able to mix.
    Klondike base color is turquoise, they can only match a latex enamel they said (menards)
    I thinned it, sprayed it through touch up gun, just seems wrong but...went really well
    side of head had been broken into, they used something to reach in and turn the credit wheel
    (and scratched the crap out of the credit wheel too)
    someone stuck as ugly patch over part of it, mismatched paint too
    steps shown below........did not want to paint anything that didn't need it..... pine tree and up left original color etc.
    silver spatter next
    made stencil from other side for the boulders
    Need to age the red a little (rattle can)
    Turquoise matched excellent! Temped to have a quart of Heirloom white mixed for next white based cabinet and spray it

untitledb (resized).jpg

20180501_082146 (resized).jpg

20180502_183353 (resized).jpg

20180502_183935 (resized).jpg

20180506_164000 (resized).jpg

20180507_194301 (resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago

Nice bit of timber splicing & repair. A good example of what can be achieved from a seemingly hopeless situation. You have sent a clear message to those vandals who broke in -'you break it: I fix it'.

#10 1 year ago

What was that, 1/4" birch that you used?

#11 1 year ago

Yep 1/4 birch......had some laying around

1 week later
    #12 1 year ago

Real nice work there! I have a small area of laminate on the face of the head I need to piece in. I'm thinking of just cutting a piece to fit then glueing and filling it. It's just one thin piece that is missing. Of course matching the paint color won't be easy. Off white nicotine yellow with black splatter.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Real nice work there! I have a small area of laminate on the face of the head I need to piece in. I'm thinking of just cutting a piece to fit then glueing and filling it. It's just one thin piece that is missing. Of course matching the paint color won't be easy. Off white nicotine yellow with black splatter.

I've also used Bondo to do these small repairs. Not perfect but here's a before and after on a King Pin (zoom in on the bottom one):

IMG_2887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_E0735 (resized).JPG

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I had a pop a card with a chipped corner , the face wood missing area about 2” square . Bondo, sand, feathered in antique white paint and stained it with dilute tea water on a towel until it matched. Then I took a magnifying visor and used a pencil to replicate webbing . The nice thing about the pencil is you can erase it and do over if it doesn’t look right. When it comes too webbing , less is better IMHFO.

#15 1 year ago

Yes infills & bondo can hide some awful sins.

canon03082017 006 (resized).JPG

canon08082017 002 (resized).JPG

canon09082017 010 (resized).JPG

To get the yellowing effect I normally add yes some yellow to the auto acrylic-add small amount at a time to the off white until you get it right.

#16 1 year ago

Wayner,
    Wow, she started off as the ugly duckling, but that primed cabinet looks beautiful. Job well done!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.99
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside