1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

563540167 (resized).jpg
LagunaLake (resized).jpg
F6E42EF5-A474-4FA0-AF21-CAEE03B56C1E (resized).jpeg
567D0A4F-42F6-4D0A-BCD6-D7A291D69607 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I saw on the news this morning that there is a travel ban of the ferries going from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. A web search tells me that one ferry exploded and explosive devices were found on another on Feb 21. The US has issued a travel ban. Do any of you smart people who seem to know more than the average person have any other info? We were planning on going to Cozumel this summer but maybe not.

#2 1 year ago

Last year it was the Blue Parrot shootings, now the ferry.

We have gone to Playa off and on for a long time, good thing we are skipping this year. Will probably wait awhile before considering it again.

#3 1 year ago

What about the blue parrot. Like his one

567D0A4F-42F6-4D0A-BCD6-D7A291D69607 (resized).jpeg

F6E42EF5-A474-4FA0-AF21-CAEE03B56C1E (resized).jpeg

#4 1 year ago

I was in that bar last year just days prior to the shooting. That area is becoming increasingly more violent. I may just stay away until they can get the violence under control.

#5 1 year ago

It is currently under an "exercise increased caution" for that region - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Mexico Travel Advisory.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

#6 1 year ago

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/security-video-shows-playa-del-carmen-ferry-explosion/

"Preliminary investigation indicates a mechanical failure" in the middle of the boat?? I'm not sure I believe that one!

#7 1 year ago

Yes but they found explosives on another boat, that is what I read anyway. We won’t be going till summer but I don’t know if I want to take my family there and take the risk. It would be my luck that something happens to my family and I would survive

#8 1 year ago

I was in the area last October shortly after they issued the initial travel warnings. Flew into Cancun, rented car, drove south to Akumal to stay. Visited all sorts of ruins in the area driving around frequently, eating at roadside restaurants, and enjoying the local beaches in Playa, Tulum, Akumal, and other areas and had no problems at all. Just started planning this year's trip as well.

#9 1 year ago

I just talked to the dive shop that is use and of course she knows people there and she did say it was explosives planted on the boats on two separate occasions but there have been no problems on the island itself.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I just talked to the dive shop that is use and of course she knows people there and she did say it was explosives planted on the boats on two separate occasions but there have been no problems on the island itself.

I hear that excuse a lot, where there's smoke there's usually fire. I was going to be down there in February but had to call it off last minute due to Zika. Very thankful now

#11 1 year ago

Something is definitely going on
Security Alert - U. S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (March 7, 2018)

Event: On March 7, the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City received information about a security threat in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Effective immediately, U.S. Government employees are prohibited from traveling to Playa del Carmen until further notice. The U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen will be closed until further notice.

Actions to Take:

· Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution.

· Purchase travel insurance that specifically covers you in Mexico and includes medical evacuation insurance.

· Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you need assistance.

Assistance:

U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico

(011-52-55) 5080-2000

ACSMexicoCity@state.gov

https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/

AND THIS
Seems it is confirmed it was a bomb detonated on the ferry and also explosive devices attached to the bottom of ferries at anchor in Cozumel. One frightening thing is that it is being confirmed that these were sophisticated explosive devices. So much for local officials who originally wanted us to believe it was a mechanical problem.

Now some officials are trying to claim the Cozumel device was self planted by Barcos Caribe. That makes no sense to me or many others. For one thing, the ferry owner was confirmed on the ferry and really doubt he would put himself in the middle of things if responsible.

Appears with outside help, officials are doing a thorough investigation which can be rare here.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Merida-Yucatan-Bulletin-1511177422257942/?hc_ref=ARSRo0vr9c0lCoa2x3TIGjc01g0sqUWN0AnXw1xuptpuQ8aF3ru08eCE_Vnwcin14

#12 1 year ago

As much as I used to like to go to Mexico to go surfing, it ain't safe for any foreign traveler anymore. Let alone it's own residents that are there to keep the peace.

#13 1 year ago

Well where the heck am I supposed to go scuba diving. I can’t afford to go to Hawaii every year.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Well where the heck am I supposed to go scuba diving. I can’t afford to go to Hawaii every year.

https://www.divingcatalina.com/

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

What about turks and caicos or just fly directly into Cozumel

#16 1 year ago

I have a friend who was blindfolded, bound, and robbed at gun point. That forever killed any interest I had in going to Mexico.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Belize. Same exact reef, but safer. I recommend caye caulker

#18 1 year ago

I’m sure if they are blowing up the ferry it is only a matter of time before they are causing problems in Cozumel as well. We may go anyway but that is debatable. As far as Catalina island goes that water is cold as a witches tit in a brass bra in the winter and to me there was nothing to see but kelp grey rocks and thos mean ass gerabaldi damsels that will chase you down. I may wait and go back to the American Virgin Islands. That was amazing.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

As far as Catalina island goes that water is cold as a witches tit in a brass bra in the winter

Indeed!

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Road Trip to Panama City or Miami.

Marcus

#21 1 year ago

Yeah, you can scuba dive in the everglades where the water is warm if you prefer croco-gators over the cartels.

#22 1 year ago

We are doing that later

As far as Cali, I can bring my whole family to stay as Odins house for a week and dive there.

#23 1 year ago

If you don't mind scuba diving for catfish in our small local pond, then heck ya!

LagunaLake (resized).jpg

#24 1 year ago

I have done worse

#25 1 year ago

Before they drained it and added a filtration system a few years back, there wasn't much worse believe me.

Look what they found when they did though!

563540167 (resized).jpg

#26 1 year ago

Good god. That’s a big ass turtle. I hope they didn’t kill it.

#27 1 year ago

His name is Old Bob and no they didn't kill him. He was lurking in the murky pond for decades.
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan/09/local/me-oldbob9

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I have a friend who was blindfolded, bound, and robbed at gun point. That forever killed any interest I had in going to Mexico.

Yes, me as well. I have a friend book some kind of sightseeing excursion near a Mexican resort with about 10 others, drivin to a empty warehouse and beat, robbed and then everyone was stripped of all clothing. I would never visit this corrupt sh#thole even it was all for free.

#29 1 year ago

We had a great time here in Belize. 3 awesome meals a day cooked for you, private pool, and a really cool house. Plenty of places to dive here

http://www.casatortuga.com/

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

What about the blue parrot. Like his one

Wow beautiful bird.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Wow beautiful bird.

That is Geri, as in geriatric. He was my 50th birthday present. He thinks he is a dog and if you don’t give him attention he screams loud enough to wake the dead.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That is Geri, as in geriatric. He was my 50th birthday present. He thinks he is a dog and if you don’t give him attention he screams loud enough to wake the dead.

I've always heard birds were like that and it's what stopped me from ever getting one even though it was a real desire of mine when growing up.

#33 1 year ago

Go to Bonaire for a diving vacation

I've been diving:
- Cozumel
- Curacao
- grand Bahama
- great barrier reef
- Belize
- st Lucia
- bonaire twice

If you are diving focused, nothing beats Bonaire.. shore diving, no need for boat dives. Unlimited air fills.. can dive till nitrigen limit . But, that is about it.. so not as good for sitting by the pool.

It's a Dutch island(as well as Curacao and Aruba) so there's that.

Concur If you want something like cozumel but not, Belize is good.

#34 1 year ago

I wouldn't hesitate one second to go to Cozumel or Playa James!

Come on, you have a much bigger risk of getting killed in parts of Houston versus those places in Mexico. And many other places in the US for that matter.

#35 1 year ago

Cancun trip planned for late April. Just don't leave the resort

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wouldn't hesitate one second to go to Cozumel or Playa James!
Come on, you have a much bigger risk of getting killed in parts of Houston versus those places in Mexico. And many other places in the US for that matter.

That’s how I justified my past trips, but I’ve been on that ferry and dock. Many other places to go that don’t have these problems. And I would never consider Houston for vacation.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

And I would never consider Houston for vacation.

And definitely not the parts of town where you are likely to get killed, I go to Chicago all the time but not the South side. We were just down there at a resort in January for a three night concert and never left the resort but outside of that is definitely dicey.

#38 1 year ago

Ever heard of a cruise ship have an issue in Cancun or Cozumel?

Thousands of people run through those towns on a weekly/daily basis. Excursions all over the place

Would i cruise around at the bars off the beaten path at 3 am in the morning? Nope, those days are over! But in my younger days it was quite fun.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thousands of people run through those towns on a weekly/daily basis. Excursions all over the place
Would i cruise around at the bars off the beaten path at 3 am in the morning? Nope, those days are over! But in my younger days it was quite fun.

Not yet, but keep in mind that they do their best to keep any negative things that do happen quiet. Acapulco used to be a popular, safe place to go too but now it's one of the most dangerous places in the world and under a travel ban for U.S. Government employees and cruise ships no longer stop there. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Cancun, Cozumel and Playa because it is a beautiful place and the people rely so heavily on tourism to survive. I'm generally pretty adventurous (though not like I used to be to your point) but, to paraphrase Helen Griswold, I don't want to spend my vacation DEAD.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No, but that ferry that exploded carries cruise ship passengers almost every day. It's how you get to the ruins and pyramids.

We have been going to Playa del Carmen for years and usually stayed in sight of these docks. Violent crime has been increasing significantly and is moving closer to the tourist areas.

The Blue Parrot I mentioned earlier was a popular bar on the beach that was literally next door to a condo we used several times. The shooting was drug gang related and there were American tourists there at the time. This was not off the beaten path, it was the beaten path.

My family hates resorts, especially all-inclusive ones where you feel 'locked' in the property. We go local, drink local, eat at food trucks, etc, so this issue affects us and we will visit other areas for a couple of years until it gets better.

But still not going to Houston for vacation.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Curious, what dive shop do you use? Is it Apple? When you said "she" I assume that may be who you use down there. I usually stay at the Barracuda Hotel when we go down to dive.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Curious, what dive shop do you use? Is it Apple? When you said "she" I assume that may be who you use down there. I usually stay at the Barracuda Hotel when we go down to dive.

If you referring to Cozumel. They did just have a tourist robbed at gunpoint during the marathon at the ATM downtown
Crime on Playa has definitely increased in the past 2 years.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from TxJay:

No, this is the local dive shop where I live outside of Houston. They book dives in Cozumel all the time. The lady that runs the place is very nice and knowledgeable. We had a incident in Maui one time and she took care of it where no one at any dive shop on the island would could give me a straight answer. We had just done a 2 tank dive and my wife and son went on a 4 wheeler trip through the mountains and I rented a Harley and rode through the mountains. Now I know you cannot fly until 24 hours after diving but no one in my 35 years of scuba diving has anyone ever told me anything about going into the mountains. After the wife and son came back from their excursion they went to the dive shop for something and they told them where they had been because they were covered in dirt. The people there went batshit and insisted they we all needed to go to the big island and go into their decompression chamber. I knew this was BS but had nothing to back it up. No dive shop in the area could tell me anything definite so I called her. She called me back from home and cleared it up and called the dive shop and chewed them out for being stupid. I now know not to go above 1000 feet after diving though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 92.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 254.99
$ 17.00
$ 12.99
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 9.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.50
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside