Leaving the pins on and switching them with a power strip or smart plug should be fine for the machine. It's just like moving the switch 6 feet down the cord.
I've been researching the smart plugs, and I may get some after the holidays (hoping for sales, I will need about 8). Remember to check the ratings on the smart plugs- the rating can be hard to find in the sales literature. Most are rated 10 Amps, some 13 and a few 15. In my basement set-up I use a Kill-a-Watt meter to check that I am not loading any circuits above 80% or so of the circuit's rating of 15 or 20 Amps. I check the plugs, outlets breakers and extension cords with an infra red non-contact thermometer.