• 35 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello pinheads,
My first post, my first pin, Aerosmith Pro NIB. Great machine plays well. Do you leave your machine on when not in use? What’s the cons (must be something) of leaving it on all the time vs cons of restarts.

#2 4 years ago

I shut mine off when not using. No way you are going to damage it with restarts over the period you are going to own it. Your tv doesn't go bad from turning on and off.

#3 4 years ago

I turn them all on even if I know I won't be playing some of them. What can I say, I like the glow of the lights. I even turn them on if they're down for repairs as long as doing so won't hurt anything. Turn 'em all off when done or if I won't be playing for a handful of hours (maybe 6 or more).

#4 4 years ago

If I'm in the basement regardless if I play them they all go on. I love looking at them.....

#5 4 years ago

I've got games on location that are on 13 hours a day and they're all fine. I have 50 year old games at home I only turn on when I play them and they're fine too. I never turn all mine on at the same time unless I'm hosting a party or tournament.

#6 4 years ago

Leds don't get hot, but I wouldn't leave an EM (or SS) on all day with incandescent lamps. You're fine with yours. Enjoy the glow.

#7 4 years ago

I don’t leave mine on ALL the time, but I recall LTG saying that these machines are industrially engineered, commercial machines made to be beat up on location and can withstand 100 times anything we could possibly do in a home environment

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I shut mine off when not using. No way you are going to damage it with restarts over the period you are going to own it. Your tv doesn't go bad from turning on and off.

You don't ever technically turn off your TV though. Since you can turn it "on" with the remote, turning it "off" is a soft-off which is just a low power state. To truly turn it off, you would need to flip a physical switch. That being said, the pinball electronics are designed with being able to power off regularly. Turning off the pinball you also have less risk of something happening when you aren't there (fire from dust getting in the cabinet in the wrong spot, etc) and you then not being around to take care of it quickly.

#9 4 years ago

I turn off and unplug the surge protector. We've had lightning storms that have ruined microwaves, gfcis, and a tv once. Better safe than sorry I guess

#10 4 years ago

And, why burn up bulbs if yr not there?

#11 4 years ago

If I’m in the room of my pins. ON ALL DAY LONG. If it lights up I love if!!

Full disclosure I’m an IT guy and it’s way better if you leave your shit on vs. turn it off. Just saying. !!!

#12 4 years ago

I'll leave Iron Maiden on after I've played if the power supply fan is running, then turn it off when it stops.

I keep them off when I'm not playing, otherwise I'll get tempted to play a "quick game"...which ends up lasting 20 minutes.

#13 4 years ago

I thought this thread was going to be about pants.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#14 4 years ago

Once my workday is over I'll turn on the ones I feel like playing and leave them on until bed. If it's a weekend or people are coming over then they all go on.

#15 4 years ago

The silent one (TSPP) is on, the loud one (WOZ) is off. I would love to keep it on but I can’t stand the loud noise the fans make.

Hopefully it will soon start to bug me enough to get to replace all the fans with silent ones.

#16 4 years ago

I dont have mine on if I'm not playing them as a rule but there are times when I turn them all on just because I like the way that they light the room up and I enjoy looking at them also.

I wouldnt just turn them on every single day if you arent using them but it definitely doesnt hurt to have them on either if you just want to enjoy looking at them once in awhile.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t leave mine on ALL the time, but I recall LTG saying that these machines are industrially engineered, commercial machines made to be beat up on location and can withstand 100 times anything we could possibly do in a home environment

New builds not so much anymore....even replacement parts nowadays don't go the distance

#18 4 years ago

Would you leave your car running over night?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from HJinFlorida:

... Do you leave your machine on when not in use? ...

Yes, but I do remove all the bulbs until the next time I play them.

1 month later
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Only when ive had too much to drink.

#21 4 years ago

Like most, I turn them all on when I'm in the room or playing. Otherwise, they stay off. Also, I unplug them if a storm is near. You aren't going to do any damage turning them on and off when you decide to play.

#23 4 years ago

This does make me think though. Would it be bad to use a smart plug? I.e., have them "on" all the time and use the smart plug to turn them off. That way you could walk in and say "turn on my pinball machines" and they would all come on. Then "turn off the pinball machines" and they would all turn off.

Ps, I get that it isn't hard to flip a switch, I'm more curious if it would do any damage to the machine to technically be turned off by pulling the plug as opposed to using the switch.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I.e., have them "on" all the time and use the smart plug to turn them off. That way you could walk in and say "turn on my pinball machines" and they would all come on. Then "turn off the pinball machines" and they would all turn off.

Very popular having them all switched.

EDIT: Trying to figure out the phrasing, but I've seen many a thread a lot like this...although I've seen it much more in depth

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remote-operated-power-strips-for-your-pinsgood-bad

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Very popular having them all switched.
EDIT: Trying to figure out the phrasing, but I've seen many a thread a lot like this...although I've seen it much more in depth
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/remote-operated-power-strips-for-your-pinsgood-bad

I was thinking of something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Smart-Plug-works-Alexa/dp/B01MZEEFNX). All would be on their own smart plug. However, you can set up a routine (with Alexa/Google/etc.) to turn them all on/off at the same time.

EDIT: My real question is, does it hurt to use the plug to turn the machine on/off. I.e., if the machine is on, then unplug it to turn off, and plug back in to turn back on - repeatedly over time.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

EDIT: My real question is, does it hurt the machine to unplug it when it is on?

Before in arcades we had every machine switch on and they were all on breakers. Quick on Quick off.
Now, as we get more into computers and everything has a hard drive maybe some people will say it's bad but I imagine that will just be old wives tale stuff.
Grip it and rip it.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Before in arcades we had every machine switch on and they were all on breakers. Quick on Quick off.
Now, as we get more into computers and everything has a hard drive maybe some people will say it's bad but I imagine that will just be old wives tale stuff.
Grip it and rip it.

That's good info. I also just found the thread linked below. It appears to be a common thought. I'm now going to do this.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wifi-enabled-smart-plugs

Ps, I love the idea of saying "To the batcave..."

#28 4 years ago

Ah yes! Nice find.

#29 4 years ago

I have mine on smartplugs- I have my 1958 Bally Super Bowler on every evening from dusk until I go to bed and the pins get turned on most evenings (but only when I'm home in case the unthinkable happens).

I like telling Alexa "Lets have a pinball party" and everything turns on (and she responds with "I thought you'd never ask!").

#30 4 years ago

Leaving the pins on and switching them with a power strip or smart plug should be fine for the machine. It's just like moving the switch 6 feet down the cord.

I've been researching the smart plugs, and I may get some after the holidays (hoping for sales, I will need about 8). Remember to check the ratings on the smart plugs- the rating can be hard to find in the sales literature. Most are rated 10 Amps, some 13 and a few 15. In my basement set-up I use a Kill-a-Watt meter to check that I am not loading any circuits above 80% or so of the circuit's rating of 15 or 20 Amps. I check the plugs, outlets breakers and extension cords with an infra red non-contact thermometer.

Don C.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Grip it and rip it.

The breakers have been giving out for me long before the machines do. They weren’t actually designed to be flipped on and off like light switches but we do it anyway

2 weeks later
#32 4 years ago

Some people prefer not to use energy needlessly and turn off lights and appliances when not in use.. Other people say climate change has nothing to do with our actions.

My games are never on when not being played.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Only on Earth Day.

#34 4 years ago

Connect all your games to a Clapper and clap your hands twice to turn them on when you enter the room.

However, achieve grand champion on any of them and the resulting double knock will turn them all off.

#35 4 years ago

I turn them off when not playing or when leaving the game room. You cant plan for unforseen things like lightning strikes (taking out the electronics), fires due to shorts etc, thus I always disconnect physically when not using them. Better safe than sorry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 12.75
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/off-or-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.