(Topic ID: 47484)

of recent Sterns, which has the most "complete" pro version?

By resipsa

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jackofdiamonds
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC08973.JPG

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I really hate the whole LE/premium/pro breakdown but we seem to be stuck with it. I'm not willing to pay the money for the LE or premium so I'm curious to get some thoughts on which of the recent sterns have the most complete pro editions? That is, compared to the other editions whichnones are you least likely to care about what is missing from a playing experience perspective?

#2 6 years ago

Well, it's not out obviously, but I'll throw Metallica Pro into the hat. Compared to the price of LE/Premium. I think it offers the majority everything the LE/Premium does for 2.5-3k less.

Great art, great music, metal ramps, inline drops, no shaker, really only missing hammer magnet and ball lock.

#5 6 years ago

X-men...no one even likes the moving ramp and apparently the pop-up nightcrawlers are a real hinderance.

#7 6 years ago

Good call. Having played both Xmen I think the pro is actually the better version. My fear with MOP is that hammer ending up being a pain in the arse. Borg likes crap blocking up the game. That Xmen ramp just blows. Hope the hammer is not like that or like wolverine and his Tron and Xmen scoops where he puts stuff up front that shunt flow.
    No hammer may make Metallica a better pin.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from ButtonMash:

X-men...no one even likes the moving ramp and apparently the pop-up nightcrawlers are a real hinderance.

Negative.

Yes

#9 6 years ago

What is Tron Pro, Trebek!

I'll take Stern LE's for $1000.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'll take Stern LE's for $1000.

You mean Stern LE's for $1000's... more than a pro

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

I really hate the whole LE/premium/pro breakdown but we seem to be stuck with it. I'm not willing to pay the money for the LE or premium so I'm curious to get some thoughts on which of the recent sterns have the most complete pro editions? That is, compared to the other editions whichnones are you least likely to care about what is missing from a playing experience perspective?

Tron is extremely close if you don't care about the ramp lights. I actually prefer TF and XM Pros over the LEs, minus the LE lighting once again which is nice. I think the LE specific toys on both of these are basically negatives as opposed to positive features. For AC/DC though, the Pro is vastly inferior to the Premium and LE IMHO.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

For AC/DC though, the Pro is vastly inferior to the Premium and LE IMHO.

Waiting for that one -- I disagree. They are two totally different games and play very differently, which IMO is something different than the normal Premium vs. Pro argument, i.e. X-Men, Tron, etc.

There is 'less' on the ACDC Pro, but less doesn't mean inferior. Less means different -- different shooting strategies, different flow, etc.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Waiting for that one -- I disagree. They are two totally different games and play very differently, which IMO is something different than the normal Premium vs. Pro argument, i.e. X-Men, Tron, etc.
    There is 'less' on the ACDC Pro, but less doesn't mean inferior. Less means different -- different shooting strategies, different flow, etc.

Total agree they are different...but they are supposed to be the same game and I feel the differences on the Pro, compared to the features on the Premium / LE are large and change the game completely...just like you said. I don't like playing the Pro because I have played the Premium and I feel the Premium represents the game much, much better. The Pro on it's own is an okay game, the Premium / LE on it's own is a really good game. The thread is about complete Pro versions vs. Premiums / LEs, not the game as it sits individually. The AC/DC Pro suffers greatly and is not complete compared to it's Premium / LE counterparts IMHO. You notice and miss the missing features of an AC/DC Pro much more than you miss the Iceman and/or moving Starscream , Iron Hide ramps for instance, which make it inferior to the Premium / LE versions.

#14 6 years ago

Everyone has a diff'rent opinion. Moving Xmen ramp isn't exciting. Lower playfield on ACDC doesn't excite me. TF LE "upper playfield" is horrendus. But LEs have the good parts to them also.

So like other say i would say Tron. You can throw a shaker in yourself easy as pie.

#15 6 years ago

Tron does not count. It was nver designed to be a le same for tf. Xmen is the best to date for pro. Only other game you can compare it to is acdc or avengers. Tf le was a after thought and it shows.

Its not fair to compare "PROS" to games that where only built to be a PRO then added to.

#16 6 years ago
    #17 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Tf le was a after thought and it shows.

TF Pro with LE upgrades, right Ben?

#18 6 years ago

Spiderman, then Tron.

#19 6 years ago

Had the playfield artwork been better on the AC/DC Pro I think it would be more popular with the collector market. Maybe not, but I personally wouldn't want Angus' ugly sneering mug starring at me all of the time

#20 6 years ago
    #21 6 years ago
    Quoted from crank:

TF Pro with LE upgrades, right Ben?

Nothing will ever top that pro. It came at a time when i could get whatever i wanted. Most of sterns LE part sales rules where formed from me and the parts i got for that game that you have. That decipticon plate was a major deal to leave the factory.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

Avatar, Rolling Stones,TRON and now Metallica.

#23 6 years ago

LOTR, Spiderman, then Tron.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Total agree they are different...but they are supposed to be the same game and I feel the differences on the Pro, compared to the features on the Premium / LE are large and change the game completely...just like you said.

Only he didn't say it changes the game completely. He said they 'play differently'.

Of all the games with pro models, AC/DC is by far the best pro. I'd rather play an AC/DC pro than any other LE or pro (other than an AC/DC premium/LE). The compensation for the missing hardware is perfect. The scoring is lower than the LE or premiums, but the play is faster. Not having that annoying swinging bell block the bell shot is worth the price of admission alone. Way more fun than either version of Tron. Tron's not a bad game mind you. Just not in the same class as AC/DC.

#25 6 years ago

How could Stock Tron be the most complete? With all the modding of "missing" things like the ramp lighting and replacement of the arcade, it's clearly the machine that "needs something".

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

I'm not willing to pay the money for the LE or premium

There is always LOTR or TSPP. These are like LEs now.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

How could Stock Tron be the most complete?

I think most people are saying the missing "things" are just window dressing. An arcade is a piece of plastic...missing that isn't as big of a deal as missing nightcrawler targets or a lower playfield etc.

#29 6 years ago

According to my observations here of the countless postings, the missing ramp lighting on the Tron Pro is the *MOST* missed item on any Stern within the last 10 years.

This thread (started almost a year ago) alone has over 750 posts discussing this missing item.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501
    It's still not available.

There are numerous other threads with other alternatives for resolving it.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from ButtonMash:

Wrong

#31 6 years ago

maybe so...not the way I see it though. Just my observations from this thread.

#32 6 years ago

Play the LE with the new code. The ramp works and gives you an objective you want to hit. The NCs are mega fun.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

I really hate the whole LE/premium/pro breakdown but we seem to be stuck with it. I'm not willing to pay the money for the LE or premium

And this is the general commonality with those that hate this business model. Obviously people buying the premium can't be too upset that other, cheaper options exist. But those that want the premium model and will not pay to get it blame the multi tier business model. Would you rather they pull a JJP and cut the pro altogether? It won't lower the price of the premium models.

Anyways, tron is mainly cosmetics. Xmen pro plays really well. But now that might crawlers are better integrated, you'd miss out a bit. Acdc pro is super fugly. Never seen avengers pro. Friends tell me its pretty fun. Stern seems to to an ok job keeping the pro models pretty fun. Unlike the ironman classic, which was not.

#34 6 years ago

The different models likley sells more games. If it did not, they would stop doing it. Ask Iron man Classic, and soon the pin

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Only he didn't say it changes the game completely. He said they 'play differently'.
    Of all the games with pro models, AC/DC is by far the best pro. I'd rather play an AC/DC pro than any other LE or pro (other than an AC/DC premium/LE).

That is definitely not the consensus. No one locally here has any interest in playing an AC/DC Pro, so much so that the last op that had a Pro on route traded it in towards a Premium. We now have multiple Premiums on route and no Pros. We have no other Premium or LE editions of any game on route in the Twin Cities, but multiple AC/DCs because people dislike the Pro version that much. No one I know wants to play a Pro AC/DC because all you think about when playing the game is what you are missing out on and how the game should be playing like when you are playing a Premium or LE.

#36 6 years ago

Metallica looks packed with goodness

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Metallica looks packed with goodness

What he said.

#38 6 years ago

Tron. As others have said the differences are almost entirely cosmetic. Tron Pro is a complete game.

I do agree about XMen to some extent as far as game play goes on the pro (I don't like the moving ramp and nightcrawler was a little disapointing so really only the spinner is a big downer on the pro) . . . that said both the XMen LE backglasses (Wolverine or Magneto) are easily the best two backglasses Stern has released to date . . . I don't think there is anything even close to those two mirrored backglasses . . . they are stunners.

#39 6 years ago

So basically you guys are saying that if I could ever afford a TRON pro, I wouldn't be missing a thing game/rules wise, just some of the bling bling? When TRON prices skyrocketed I stopped paying attention when the LE and Premium went beyond what I can spend on a pin. Last time I checked there was an extra mulitball mode on the LE, with rumor that a future code update would add it to the cheaper games. I am guessing that happened?

#40 6 years ago

Oh u KNOW the answer!

DSC08973.JPG

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvilJack:

So basically you guys are saying that if I could ever afford a TRON pro, I wouldn't be missing a thing game/rules wise, just some of the bling bling?

Right. And things like the shaker you can buy and install yourself very easily.
    Ramp lights, chrome trim missing... Daft Punk MB is extra...or was at the beginning.

#42 6 years ago

I'd go with Tron. Only thing gameplay you miss is draftpunk multi-ball and some drop targets.

AC/DC Pro and Premium are completely different games. Pro is in you face speed the entire game, the premium is fast but with a little slower feel. As previous owner of a pro a current owner of a premium I can see why a few people would own both.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

Had the playfield artwork been better on the AC/DC Pro I think it would be more popular with the collector market. Maybe not, but I personally wouldn't want Angus' ugly sneering mug starring at me all of the time

I have to agree with that one...that's actually the biggest negative for the AC/DC pro to me I think.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

And this is the general commonality with those that hate this business model. Obviously people buying the premium can't be too upset that other, cheaper options exist. But those that want the premium model and will not pay to get it blame the multi tier business model. Would you rather they pull a JJP and cut the pro altogether? It won't lower the price of the premium models.

Fair enough. But honestly, I think I would still feel the same way if I was looking to buy an LE. cosmetic differences between versions is fine, but when the play and strategy changes I have an issue simply because i think it causes unnecessary complication and confusion within the hobby to have totally different games labeled as if they were the same.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

We now have multiple Premiums on route and no Pros.

Two? Either way, good for you guys. Let's check the west coast:

Pros to premiums/LE's

Seattle 2 - 0
    Portland 5 - 2
    Bay area 7 - 2
    LA 3 - 0

http://pinballmap.com/

Somebody really should tell all those operators they're doing it wrong. What are they thinking?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Two? Either way, good for you guys. Let's check the west coast:
    Pros to premiums/LE's
    Seattle 2 - 0
    Portland 5 - 2
    Bay area 7 - 2
    LA 3 - 0
    http://pinballmap.com/
    Somebody really should tell all those operators they're doing it wrong. What are they thinking?

Cool, we have more Premiums on route than LA and Seattle combined and just as many as the mighty Portland...the "location pinball capital of the world." I'm glad the ops here got the memo, on the Premiums at least, that the ops out there got...

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

We now have multiple Premiums on route and no Pros.

Quoted from LesManley:

Cool, we have... just as many as the mighty Portland...

So two. Multiple premiums sounds a lot more dramatic than just two. Are you some kind of salesman or actor?

It's okay for you not to like the pro, but you shouldn't think you speak for all location players. You don't.

#48 6 years ago

Tron pro better than le
    Same goes for transformers the pro is better
    You don't have to spend big money on a le premium when you can have a better game in a pro

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Tron. As others have said the differences are almost entirely cosmetic. Tron Pro is a complete game.
    I do agree about XMen to some extent as far as game play goes on the pro (I don't like the moving ramp and nightcrawler was a little disapointing so really only the spinner is a big downer on the pro) . . . that said both the XMen LE backglasses (Wolverine or Magneto) are easily the best two backglasses Stern has released to date . . . I don't think there is anything even close to those two mirrored backglasses . . . they are stunners.

All we need is the brains is to integrate the spinning disk on the pro and honestly that will be the best mod so far a le feature on a pro and the moving ice ramp can be annoying as sometimes you can't see the ball at times

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Tron pro better than le
    Same goes for Transformers the pro is better
    You don't have to spend big money on a le premium when you can have a better game in a pro

Have you played a tron LE? Disregarding the price there is no way you can say the pro is better.
    Factor in the price then you can argue which is better all day.

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

All we need is the brains is to integrate the spinning disk on the pro and honestly that will be the best mod so far a le feature on a pro and the moving ice ramp can be annoying as sometimes you can't see the ball at times

That sir would be the most labor intensive mod to design and install on a retail scale.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 49.95
    $ 18.99
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside