Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,330 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by ralphs007
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240406_121248.jpg
    chrome_osSlFQ48ZL (resized).png
    IMG_20240320_193805.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6418 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2353 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2352 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4788 (resized).jpeg
    bullshark1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4734 (resized).jpeg
    20240308_110716 (resized).jpg
    20240307_111539 (resized).jpg
    McDonald’s_menu_with_prices_(effective_February_2024)_-_2024-02-16_06.46.59 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3615 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3358 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 3 years ago

Always remember, going waaay back, when I was in college, I would often get for dinner a fish filet, a cheeseburger, a large fry, and a chocolate shake. And, a small fry to eat in the car on the way home. Not kidding.

I typically did this on weekend nights before a long night of intense partying and alcohol consumption. Oh to be young again.

I don’t get them much any more, too expensive. I can make a pretty good replica at home
    with some frozen filets from Trader Joe’s, the right buns(just small plain hamburger buns), a slice of American cheese, and tartar sauce that I make. And I do this fairly often. Great pandemic food.

For some reason I can’t remember what fish filets cost back then. What I do distinctly remember from high school:

Hamburger 15 cents
    Cheeseburger 20 cents
    Fries 20 cents
    Milk shake 25 cents

The fries may have been 15 cents for regular. I am pretty sure the internet is wrong on the prices from say 1971, they are too high. I absolutely remember that the burgers were 15 and the cheeseburgers were 20. And I remember that if you had a quarter you were golden because you could get a shake.

I also would typically get a small Coke and a vanilla shake, then dump the Coke into the shake and stir it up. I am pretty sure I actually invented the freeze.

3 weeks later
    #133 3 years ago

Finally got around to making this, good pandemic food.

IMG_20200714_182900 (resized).jpgIMG_20200714_182900 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200714_183902 (resized).jpgIMG_20200714_183902 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200714_190035 (resized).jpgIMG_20200714_190035 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200714_190107 (resized).jpgIMG_20200714_190107 (resized).jpg

1 year later
    #1527 2 years ago

Socal has Friday $2.50 FOF. If I skipped the fries I could have had a FOF and a Coke for less than $4. Actually afterwards, I kinda wished I would have bought a second FOF instead of fries. It would have been less money, basically the same calorie count, and would have been much tastier. That first FOF went quick. Fries were so-so.

PXL_20220318_181149975 (resized).jpgPXL_20220318_181149975 (resized).jpg

PXL_20220318_181159897 (resized).jpgPXL_20220318_181159897 (resized).jpg

PXL_20220318_181229525 (resized).jpgPXL_20220318_181229525 (resized).jpg

#1535 2 years ago
    Quoted from SuperGrafx:

Man, like I said.
    I need to move to California. Consistently great FoF sandwiches over there!

That one I got did look pretty good I will admit. But, to be picky, I would prefer the sauce in the middle of the filet, not to the side. Any maybe a little bit more of it.

If they are still $2.50 I will try to get another one this Friday.

#1538 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

$3.29 for So so fries? They should of been Golden at that price. [quoted image]

And, the fries weren't that good. They probably were aged a bit, usually McD fries are pretty good.

If the Friday $2.50 deal is still going tomorrow, it will be 2 FOF and a coke, for $6.

#1542 2 years ago

Turned out I was on my own for dinner tonight. And, it is still $2.50 Friday FOF here. So this time, I skipped the expensive fries, got 2 FOF and a $1 Dr Pepper, $6 plus tax. Not bad. They are definitely fraternal twins, not identical. One bun fairly smooth and the other frowny. Both were very good eating though.

$2.50 Friday FOF ends on Apr 8, so still have 2 more chances at it.

fof (resized).jpgfof (resized).jpg

fof2 (resized).jpgfof2 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1576 2 years ago

It seemed like I should downvote you for such a horrible-looking mess. But you can't blame the messenger! So I upvoted you. But, I go on record as downvoting the FOF. If that makes sense.

6 months later
    #1848 1 year ago

Seriously, how GD lazy do you have to be to miss the sauce by that far? Ray Kroc must be turning in his grave, if he ever saw that he would fire that person on the spot and probably everyone in the whole restaurant. $20 an hour too for that performance.

#1857 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Kudo's for getting the cheese in the box, instead of thrown in the bag as an after thought!
    I imagine its a complex job getting 3 items centered on a bun, in the correct order etc. (I an mot a professional sandwich maker and can only imagine the stress involved).
    A 4 year old child could do it, but due to labor laws we get what we get....

I like to look at things as fairly as possible, but like you said, how hard can it be? Yes they are cranking out food and everything is a hurry all the time I’m sure, but how much longer would it take to do it right? 2 seconds?

If you have ever seen the In n Out kitchen in process, you are seeing a place where high speed mass production is going on and it goes like that all day long. I have never had anything but a perfectly prepared and aligned burger there. Which is why I go there and not MCDonalds.

Although yes I do have to hit it for the FoF on occasion, there is nowhere else to get that.

2 weeks later
    #1925 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

My wife loves the McRib.
    I don’t.
    So, ……………….
    Yeah baby!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Thank You for not posting a pic of the McRib.

2 weeks later
    #1939 1 year ago

I love FoF but these pictures are depressing. McDonald's should be embarrassed. I would be ashamed to say I had a business that operated in such a lazy, slipshod manner. It really is pathetic you cannot even spend the additional two tenths of a second to put a piece of cheese or some sauce on the top of a sandwich instead of half off to the side. This is not that difficult.

#1998 1 year ago

It looks pretty darn good, but it seems that the cheese is white instead of yellow???

3 weeks later
    #2017 1 year ago

Can I take a moment to say, I have a hankerin for a FOF

strikes and spares redhead FOF (resized).jpgstrikes and spares redhead FOF (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #2059 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Also - didn’t Lent start on Wednesday Feb 22? Where are our f-ing FoF deals for Lent? WTF McDonalds? Its MFing Easter season… give us our F-ing FoF deals!

Just not seeing it in Socal at least yet. Still $5.49 for a FoF. It was $2.50 each last year.

1 week later
    #2087 1 year ago

Hidden Mickeys

#2089 1 year ago

Filet O Fish Lent

McDonald's says not this year

So no fish for me

1 month later
    #2112 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm selling a (insert game here) for 5k + (hands stack McD reciepts) 87 FoF I've eaten in the last year. The total will continue to rise so buy now!

You are committed! I have purchased an entire pinball machine for less than you have spent on FoF in a year!

6 months later
    #2187 5 months ago
    Quoted from mooch:What’s a good record to play while eating a Filet-O-Fish?[quoted image]

1 month later
    #2193 4 months ago

I think that is literally the only pic in this entire thread with all of the sauce AND the cheese properly placed in the middle.

2 weeks later
    #2198 3 months ago

I’m not in at $6.69 a pop, current local price.

2 weeks later
    #2207 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Same here. $4.59 each or 2 for $5.49. Don't know where xsvtoys is getting his price.
    I'm still waiting for them to bring back the $2 FOF Friday deal. Wish me luck!

Just opened the McDonalds app which is connected to the nearest McDonald’s, selected place an order, went to the sandwich menu, and this is what I see.

O-Din, I am no longer in the OC, I sold out and bailed to AZ. Still got your old Bon Voyage.

IMG_0617 (resized).jpegIMG_0617 (resized).jpeg

#2209 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You sold out all right. To the land of the expensive and even the double Filet-O-Fish.
    And you didn't even give me a chance to say Bon Voyage. Well, I'm saying it now. It's up to the few of us left to hold down what normalcy is left around here.
    Cheers!

Sorry we never got together, I went to a few events at Bob's place, but when the pandemic hit it messed everything up.

I'm not sure why FOF is so expensive in AZ, but pretty much everything else is cheaper, that's for sure. Gas is $3.19 today. Guess I should fill up and spend the savings on a tasty FOF.

2 months later
    #2324 15 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

That’s just not cool… please tell me others are also suffering like me?!

Still $6.19 each here in AZ, no Lent deals here that I have been able to find.

Quoted from stubborngamer:

I just tried the "surf n turf" and the chicken cheeseburger.
    The surf n turf is a fish burger put into a double cheeseburger, there is no tartar sauce. What you are left with is a double cheeseburger with a fishy taste. I think value wise it's better than getting the things separately, but the filet o fish clearly works in it's perfect natural form, with the tartar sauce, great foods are usually a perfect combination of every ingredient, not just one, and that is also true for the filet o fish. You want the filet o fish, you do not want the surf n turf.
    As for the chicken cheeseburger, again it's a chicken burger put into a single cheeseburger, so no lettuce or their version of mayo. The chicken pretty much over powers the beef but the chicken works with the cheeseburger condiments, but the beef didn't need to be there.
    So in short, chicken beef and fish weren't meant to co-mingle.

Inquiring minds want to know, both of those together in one sitting?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ode-to-the-filet-o-fish?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.