Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,330 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by ralphs007
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240406_121248.jpg
    chrome_osSlFQ48ZL (resized).png
    IMG_20240320_193805.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6418 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2353 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2352 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4788 (resized).jpeg
    bullshark1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4734 (resized).jpeg
    20240308_110716 (resized).jpg
    20240307_111539 (resized).jpg
    McDonald’s_menu_with_prices_(effective_February_2024)_-_2024-02-16_06.46.59 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3615 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3358 (resized).jpeg
    There are 2,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 47.
    #51 3 years ago

DSCN7011 (resized).JPGDSCN7011 (resized).JPG

#52 3 years ago

You monster.

#53 3 years ago

Sucks Flet o Fish costs so much now. Sucks even worse my second Big Fish filet must have sat there for a while.

#54 3 years ago

Grouper sandwich. Just missing the beer.

A5172320-F05F-4472-B2F0-8E4A03D692AB (resized).jpegA5172320-F05F-4472-B2F0-8E4A03D692AB (resized).jpeg
    #55 3 years ago

I've never had a filet of fish before.

Because of this thread, I almost broke down and got one when I was running errands today. But I didn't get one ....cos if I did, pinside would win.

#56 3 years ago

I’m a fan of McDonald’s filet, but check out the fish sandwich at Culvers.. may be better??

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Grouper sandwich. Just missing the beer.
    [quoted image]

One of the joys of living in Florida!

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

Too bad they only put on half a piece of cheese.

^^^^^
    THIS

They completely screwed it up when they switched to half a slice of cheese. Probably about the same time the cut their napkins in half.

#59 3 years ago

I (used to) love Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. But they don't love me anymore (migraine inducer).

Alas ... SIGH.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I (used to) love Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. But they don't love me anymore (migraine inducer).

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #61 3 years ago
    Quoted from CPanther95:

They completely screwed it up when they switched to half a slice of cheese. Probably about the same time the cut their napkins in half.

You must go back a ways. I worked at McD's in high school (mid to late 70's) and it was a 1/2 slice back then. Unless they went to a full slice for a while and then back to a 1/2 slice.

I tend to scrape most of the tarter sauce off these days, just leave a bit. And I always liked the steamed bun - once in a while the steamer must be out of commission so they toast the bun, and it's not the same.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from JudeRussell:

I always liked the steamed bun

Yes, it is the bun, not the tarter sauce that puts it over the top. I could almost live without the fake cheese too. Any more than half a slice might be too much.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Forget the regular, get the double!
    [quoted image]

Wait, WHAT? That’s a thing?? Oh GAWD I’VE WASTED MY LIFE!!

#64 3 years ago

Been going to McD's since 1970. I think since that time, I might of had 10 Filet-o-fish sandwiches.

#65 3 years ago

I actually really enjoy this sandwich and get it regularly. I had a patient a few years ago that worked for McDonald’s Corp as a truck driver and only drove the filet o fish. She was very passionate about her work and loved talking about it!

#66 3 years ago

No joke I've never had one. It just doesn't look very appetizing.

Funnily enough my g/f, who grew up eating kosher, has enjoyed this delicacy many times. Milk with meat is forbidden, so as a treat every now and then she would get a milkshake and fillet o fish with cheese (instead of a burger with no cheese and no milk shake).

Gaming the system. By drinking a milkshake with fish.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No joke I've never had one. It just doesn't look very appetizing.

Funnily enough my g/f, who grew up eating kosher, has enjoyed this delicacy many times. Milk with meat is forbidden, so as a treat every now and then she would get a milkshake and fillet o fish with cheese (instead of a burger with no cheese and no milk shake).

Then you would love the McRib!

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then you would love the McRib!

You should start a McRib thread! Lots to discuss on that. Like is it making another appearance?

#69 3 years ago

This or that?
    Filet o Fish or Cheddar Melt? I miss that thing.

#70 3 years ago

As a kid in the 70’s, my step mom would order them as “health food”. Needless to say, she’s a moron but I gotta admit as a kid I thought they were tasty. Of course, you can pretty much make anything on a piece of fluffy white bread tasty with that much tartar sauce!

#71 3 years ago

Gorton’s, a place here in town makes the filets for McDonalds. I wish they sold them so I could just quickly make them at home.On second thought...no I don’t.I would be very obese. I have no self control.

#73 3 years ago

Preach man, preach!
    b1b (resized).jpgb1b (resized).jpg

#74 3 years ago

Agreed that Arby’s fish is much better. FoF is passable when you request they add pickle and / or lettuce.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Agreed that Arby’s fish is much better. FoF is passable when you request they add pickle and / or lettuce.

While I respect your ability to maintain your own opinion, I weep for your soul.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from NovaPin:

Preach man, preach!
    [quoted image]

Hilarious "Chick Track". There are some guys on youtube that read those aloud and mock them endlessly. Good fun.

#77 3 years ago

Fish Friday Everyone! I was wondering if MickeyD ever had a fish character like the hamburgler or grimmace. Turns out I guess they did for an ad or two. Meet "Phil A. O'fish." They should dressed him in green plaid and served the sandwich with a Shamrock Shake.

filetofish_-ad (resized).jpgfiletofish_-ad (resized).jpg
    #78 3 years ago

You have to wonder about an ad that says "surprisingly good taste" in it. Like they were shocked!!

#79 3 years ago

back in season here in NZ

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png
    #80 3 years ago

On the topic of McDonald’s has anyone ever had their pizza? Apparently it was an item on the menu in the 80’s and early 90’s which I don’t remember. There are still 4 locations that still serve it. Two in Ohio, one in West Virginia and one in Florida.

29EF421A-460F-4B8B-BFCC-E754B180C99D (resized).jpeg29EF421A-460F-4B8B-BFCC-E754B180C99D (resized).jpeg
    #81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

On the topic of McDonald’s has anyone ever had their pizza? Apparently it was an item on the menu in the 80’s and early 90’s which I don’t remember. There are still 4 locations that still serve it. Two in Ohio, one in West Virginia and one in Florida.
    [quoted image]

Yes. The mini 6 inch pizzas were the best. When I used to work there I would eat one during my break. I'd load it up with extra toppings and fajita meat.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Filet o' barf falls short in comparison to the Cod Fish sandwich in the following ways:
    1. Not as tasty.
    2. Way way smaller in size.
    3. TOO much bun.
    4. Crappy fish "particles" compared to Arby's REAL cod fish.
    Who's high now!!!
    The true King of Fish Sandwiches= ARBY's ALL DAY LONG!!!
    I may also add: my cats won't even lick a filet o fish sandwich. The cod fish sandwich gets devoured.

I'm high on weed but you're high on crack

I do like arby's fish but there is something special about that low quality crap fish sandwich at McDonalds. Have you ever had a Filet o fish on weed?

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

On the topic of McDonald’s has anyone ever had their pizza?

How about their Lobster Rolls?

In one of my college road trips I drove to Maine from Ohio and about swerved off the road when I saw a McDonald's sign advertising Lobster Rolls. Not something we see in the Midwest. I never did try one. . . figured if I was going to have fresh Atlantic Lobster I should probably get it from someplace other than a McDonalds!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Two in Ohio, one in West Virginia and one in Florida.

Sounds about right.

#85 3 years ago

Only things i've ever had from Mcd's since i was a teenager are the sausage breakfast muffin or if the grandkids absolutely make me stop at M on a road trip it'll be fillet of fish, large fries and choc shake. Put some fries on the fillet and dip the rest of them in the choc shake before eating.

All the grandkids do it now too.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Put some fries on the fillet and dip the rest of them in the choc shake before eating.
    All the grandkids do it now too.

Mmmm.... Chocolate Fries!

60FCE1BF-269B-48CE-B993-007E3FAC5B54 (resized).jpeg60FCE1BF-269B-48CE-B993-007E3FAC5B54 (resized).jpeg
    #87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

[quoted image]

Their pizza is magical. First thing I ate after I quit smoking. International drive. June 10 1995.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

[quoted image]

Interesting, may have to try this.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

Never seen those. Not that i spend much time at all under the golden arches. remember seeing McSaurkraut in a M in Germany once.

#90 3 years ago

I love Micky D's fillet o fish. The best cod sandwich around here (all year long) is at Frisch's, they are good and their tartar sauce is killer.

#91 3 years ago

Always remember, going waaay back, when I was in college, I would often get for dinner a fish filet, a cheeseburger, a large fry, and a chocolate shake. And, a small fry to eat in the car on the way home. Not kidding.

I typically did this on weekend nights before a long night of intense partying and alcohol consumption. Oh to be young again.

I don’t get them much any more, too expensive. I can make a pretty good replica at home
    with some frozen filets from Trader Joe’s, the right buns(just small plain hamburger buns), a slice of American cheese, and tartar sauce that I make. And I do this fairly often. Great pandemic food.

For some reason I can’t remember what fish filets cost back then. What I do distinctly remember from high school:

Hamburger 15 cents
    Cheeseburger 20 cents
    Fries 20 cents
    Milk shake 25 cents

The fries may have been 15 cents for regular. I am pretty sure the internet is wrong on the prices from say 1971, they are too high. I absolutely remember that the burgers were 15 and the cheeseburgers were 20. And I remember that if you had a quarter you were golden because you could get a shake.

I also would typically get a small Coke and a vanilla shake, then dump the Coke into the shake and stir it up. I am pretty sure I actually invented the freeze.

#92 3 years ago

I think they have tried their hand at everything. There is a list on Wikipedia. Here are a few. The last one is a catfish sandwich.

38D194E8-C4BC-4411-A686-193D1126C300 (resized).jpeg38D194E8-C4BC-4411-A686-193D1126C300 (resized).jpeg4F956B61-B4D8-4139-9011-364730DC377E (resized).jpeg4F956B61-B4D8-4139-9011-364730DC377E (resized).jpeg597BE90E-6F56-4463-93D8-AC7E7908F4EA (resized).jpeg597BE90E-6F56-4463-93D8-AC7E7908F4EA (resized).jpeg70E88B29-011C-42FB-86D3-25E520B33B3F (resized).jpeg70E88B29-011C-42FB-86D3-25E520B33B3F (resized).jpeg8AD8E6C4-9405-4456-B3D8-E4FCC2DEE846 (resized).jpeg8AD8E6C4-9405-4456-B3D8-E4FCC2DEE846 (resized).jpegABF56159-1BAE-4D63-85D6-74870B7A6CA8 (resized).jpegABF56159-1BAE-4D63-85D6-74870B7A6CA8 (resized).jpeg
    #93 3 years ago

I remember the wings back in high school. They weren’t that bad really.

I remember when someone claimed she got a fried chicken head In their box instead of a wing. It was funny.

E87BED1C-2E9C-4564-83A1-6DDB22D6FEA7 (resized).jpegE87BED1C-2E9C-4564-83A1-6DDB22D6FEA7 (resized).jpeg
    #94 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Always remember, going waaay back, when I was in college, I would often get for dinner a fish filet, a cheeseburger, a large fry, and a chocolate shake. And, a small fry to eat in the car on the way home. Not kidding.
    I typically did this on weekend nights before a long night of intense partying and alcohol consumption. Oh to be young again.
    I don’t get them much any more, too expensive. I can make a pretty good replica at home
    with some frozen filets from Trader Joe’s, the right buns(just small plain hamburger buns), a slice of American cheese, and tartar sauce that I make. And I do this fairly often. Great pandemic food.
    For some reason I can’t remember what fish filets cost back then. What I do distinctly remember from high school:
    Hamburger 15 cents
    Cheeseburger 20 cents
    Fries 20 cents
    Milk shake 25 cents
    The fries may have been 15 cents for regular. I am pretty sure the internet is wrong on the prices from say 1971, they are too high. I absolutely remember that the burgers were 15 and the cheeseburgers were 20. And I remember that if you had a quarter you were golden because you could get a shake.
    I also would typically get a small Coke and a vanilla shake, then dump the Coke into the shake and stir it up. I am pretty sure I actually invented the freeze.

Sounds about right. I remember hamburgers at 25 cents and cheeseburgers at 35 cents. Also, remember Krystal’s at 7 cents. That was around 1975.
    In college, I used to get a hamburger, medium fry and medium coke for $1.65. That was 1985.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

This has my vote for best Pinside thread of 2020

I second that!!

#96 3 years ago

Goin to grab a couple right now !!

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

And, a small fry to eat in the car on the way home. Not kidding.

McD's fries used to be fried in deadly beef tallow, which made them irresistible. You'd need those extra fries to munch on for the drive home or they'd all be gone by the time you got there. Nowadays, fries and potato chips are all fried in healthier trans-fat free vegetable oil which doesn't have the same addictive taste.

#98 3 years ago

What is “beef tallow” a euphemism for?

Those fries are still pretty good. Fresh fast food fries are almost always good.

#99 3 years ago
    antique-groundhog-brand-lard-tin-bucket-punxsutawney_1_6e0de61d9f07966c3910493bc8b96635 (resized).jpgantique-groundhog-brand-lard-tin-bucket-punxsutawney_1_6e0de61d9f07966c3910493bc8b96635 (resized).jpg
    #100 3 years ago

That’s amazing.

Delicious surely and I bet it was cheap as dirt.

At first I thought it said groundhog Lard

There are 2,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ode-to-the-filet-o-fish/page/2?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.