New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274040)

Odd voltages on Weebly Bally Recifier Board

By Clnilsen

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Clnilsen
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 months ago

I have a new Weebly AS-2518-18 Rectifier board in my project Bally Playboy, and getting some odd voltages at certain test points on first start up.

Specifically
TP1 - 6.3 (good!)
TP2 - 194.5v (should be 230)
TP3 - 13.54 (S/B 12v)
TP4 - 6.3 (good!)
TP5 - 45.7v (S/B 43v)

The biggest one I'm worried about is the TP2 voltage, especially since I just had to buy a new Solenoid driver board and don't want to fry a new one. I currently have all the other boards disconnected, and following the pinwiki first time startup procedure so i'm basically at step one.

Any ideas on what to troubleshoot? I've read that the margin of error on tp2 is fairly significant, but that seems to be a big margin.

#2 3 months ago

I've seen some weird voltages on TP2, never understood exactly why. The driver board regulates it down to 170V though, so a lower than expected voltage isn't likely to damage the board. As long as the regulated voltage is good I wouldn't worry but maybe someone else can chime in with better info on that one

TP3 and 5 are also unregulated voltages, so that amount of variance is fine.

#3 3 months ago

They are all unregulated voltages - the variance can be wide especially with TP2.

#4 3 months ago

I read somewhere (pinwiki I think) that tp2 can vary by 29 volts (something like that). I am also seeing < 200 on tp2 on my board. But up top was fine so I wasn't as concerned.

Also wanted to take the opportunity to confirm something - are the test points supposed to be measured with just J2 connected and everything else disconnected, or under load ie all 3 connectors hooked up and in attract mode?

#5 3 months ago

All of those voltages are fine there's nothing wrong with the board.

#6 3 months ago

Plugged in will affect voltages but not a great deal. Again TP2 will be affected most as he will go from a rectified voltage to a filtered DC voltage. The main thing is to test to make sure voltages are in ball park before installing the other connectors with possible unknown problems. This makes it easier to narrow down issues should they arise.

#7 3 months ago

As mentioned above, disconnected, the voltages will measure lower on your good old meter in dc setting.

These (non gi) voltages are not dc. Strictly speaking. But has the referenced dc property when everything is hooked up and the game is running.

#8 3 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! We got a heartbeat on this project after long last!!!! Still have some work to do, but it starts a game now!

#9 3 months ago

The unregulated voltages will not come up until the driver board is connected. The filter capacitors hold the voltage up near the top.

What is kind of confusing with Bally is they call one unreg supply 11.9vdc but it actually reads more like 15-18vdc when the driver board is connected. Yet they call the HV unreg supply +230v but it will not read that high unless the driver board is connected so they are kind of opposite each other in measurement whether or not hte driver board filter caps are in circuit.

Some DMM don't like reading the unloaded ripply HV for some reason too. I have one cheap DMM which will erroneously show really low volts DC at the rect test point when the driver board is not connected. The 100k, presumably for safety, resistor in series with the test point may have something to do with it.

#10 3 months ago

As everybody is saying, those voltages are fine. With the unloaded rectifier board close is good enough.

#11 3 months ago

All those voltages look good

#12 3 months ago

Thanks for all the help!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Heathsville, VA
$ 22.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside